PDA

View Full Version : Chris Johnson Starting to Choke?

Breed
09-20-2011, 02:46 AM
Or is all that money in his pockets must be slowing him down?

G OPP RESULT ATT YDS YPC LNG TD REC YD YPC LNG TD
1 @JAC L 14-16 9 24 2.7 9 0 6 25 4.2 11 0 -- --
2 BAL W 26-13 24 53 2.2 7 0 3 12 4.0 6 0 -- --

http://api.ning.com/files/NzHL1V-HqiN6J5astW0CBOwMDaXqkbW2Wa4lZEOaWadMSjXsyErS3vrse iBDTwFnSW6h5xpxtbJEKgji3upDwsr1eJGdJkol/ChrisJohnson.jpg

Razor
09-20-2011, 02:51 AM
I've been calling CJ an overrated one trick pony since his rookie year, so this isn't a surprise to me. It was a surprise, however, that he could keep up his level of performance this long. He's dumb as **** and probably doesn't want to take on the kind of role he's best suited for. Imo Britt is a better player, but instead of just being dumb as CJ is he's a turd which is arguably worse.

OzTitan
09-20-2011, 03:16 AM
We'll see how he does against the Broncos run D. The Titans abandoned the run in week 1 and the Ravens are a pretty good run D who openly admitted to selling out to stop CJ post-game. CJ has had those type of games before when a team really really wants to stop him, like Chicago a few years back where Collins had a big day passing.

He has looked far less aggressive running through holes but his holdout meant he didn't even start doing contact drills until very very late. Maybe this is just what a RB looks like when he's a few weeks into his season which would normally still be in training camp time.

Also, calling CJ a "one trick pony" since his rookie year is just ********, namely because I'm not even sure what that one trick is - running the football? eh, yeah, he's a running back. Not fumbling much? scoring touchdowns? You're confusing being NFL-history level great at something (i.e. long runs) and good at other stuff with being good at only one thing, which CJ clearly is not.

FUNBUNCHER
09-20-2011, 03:20 AM
He's pressing a little, but if he's healthy he'll get it going again.
It was surprising to see Javon Ringer get carries.

DoughBoy
09-20-2011, 04:37 AM
I've been calling CJ an overrated one trick pony since his rookie year, so this isn't a surprise to me. It was a surprise, however, that he could keep up his level of performance this long. He's dumb as **** and probably doesn't want to take on the kind of role he's best suited for. Imo Britt is a better player, but instead of just being dumb as CJ is he's a turd which is arguably worse.

-_-

I'm not even going to take the troll bait on this one.

Everyone just needs to calm down. He missed the entire offseason and came in with a brand spanking new coaching staff. The holes agianst the Ravens just weren't there, I think we see his old self come out agaisnt the Broncos. Also, how good has he been that we are complaning about a 2 game slump?

Ness
09-20-2011, 05:32 AM
The same thing is happening to Frank Gore. Right after he got his new deal too.

bucfan12
09-20-2011, 07:04 AM
Chris Johnson really earning that contract ehh? He completely handled the situation in a selfish/greedy way, so he deserves the criticism. Wanting to get paid like an elite player, he's not even performing as an average back.

Unbiased
09-20-2011, 07:17 AM
We'll see how he does against the Broncos run D. The Titans abandoned the run in week 1 and the Ravens are a pretty good run D who openly admitted to selling out to stop CJ post-game. CJ has had those type of games before when a team really really wants to stop him, like Chicago a few years back where Collins had a big day passing.

He has looked far less aggressive running through holes but his holdout meant he didn't even start doing contact drills until very very late. Maybe this is just what a RB looks like when he's a few weeks into his season which would normally still be in training camp time.

Also, calling CJ a "one trick pony" since his rookie year is just ********, namely because I'm not even sure what that one trick is - running the football? eh, yeah, he's a running back. Not fumbling much? scoring touchdowns? You're confusing being NFL-history level great at something (i.e. long runs) and good at other stuff with being good at only one thing, which CJ clearly is not.

Yeah that doesn't make sense to me either. I think CJ is just taking a while to adjust to playing again. He should be fine.

tjsunstein
09-20-2011, 07:19 AM
Who was the one to say that CJ2K would be known as CJ2YPC? Because they're right.

tjsunstein
09-20-2011, 07:20 AM
Let's not forget he has a different HC and QB running things in Tennessee right now.

bucfan12
09-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Let's not forget he has a different HC and QB running things in Tennessee right now.

Still not the point. They were able to beat Baltimore without his "elite" play.

All I am saying is, the guy opened his mouth about being elite and wanting to not only be paid as the top RB, but as one of the best players in the league.

He hasn't played well and deserves all the criticism. He brought it upon himself by staging that holdout.

descendency
09-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Yet another Tennessee Titan that chooses not to show up after he got paid. . .

Rosebud
09-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Still not the point. They were able to beat Baltimore without his "elite" play.

All I am saying is, the guy opened his mouth about being elite and wanting to not only be paid as the top RB, but as one of the best players in the league.

He hasn't played well and deserves all the criticism. He brought it upon himself by staging that holdout.

Baltimore did sell out and focus entirely on him letting his team capitalize. So actually it was his elite play that let them upset the Ravens...

the new jesus
09-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Chris Johnson really earning that contract ehh? He completely handled the situation in a selfish/greedy way, so he deserves the criticism. Wanting to get paid like an elite player, he's not even performing as an average back.

He has performed like an elite player...

killxswitch
09-20-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm amazed he didn't get the standard hamstring strain that always hits players that hold out of TC and preseason. It may be that he actually has the hammy but is playing through it. He'll get into game shape and play well again. I doubt he'll ever go for 2000 again, but he'll still be a top back.

I'm glad I stayed away in fantasy though.

Well, I say that, but I just lost Jamaal Charles so really just **** fantasy football this year.

Complex
09-20-2011, 10:06 AM
He got 9 carries in the Jag game and faced a top defense in the ravens but yeah he totally bust cause everyone goes over 100 yard on them, definitely a 1 trick pony w/e that means.

vidae
09-20-2011, 10:08 AM
He missed training camp entirely, so he's probably just shaking the rust off. If there is one team to get started against it's the Broncos run D.

CashmoneyDrew
09-20-2011, 10:09 AM
CJ deserved to get paid. Not sure why people are saying he handled his holdout wrong. He'll get back to where he needs to be. He just has a lot going against him at this moment.

vidae
09-20-2011, 10:11 AM
And calling him a choke artist? Come on, the dude ran for 2000 yards. Give him the benefit of the doubt at least.

bucfan12
09-20-2011, 10:34 AM
averaging 2.7 yards against the Jags defense isn't anything special.

Adrian Peterson didn't handle his contract wrong. Look at him. He's still putting up big numbers in the 1st two weeks.

Chris Johnson was going to get paid, holdout or no holdout. I question his character.

I said teams would stack 8 in the box to stop him, and they have completely shut him down. With Adrian Peterson, stacking 8 in the box can only contain him. If you're an elite player, you can fight through that and atleast have good games. He's been completely taken out of games.

prock
09-20-2011, 10:44 AM
And calling him a choke artist? Come on, the dude ran for 2000 yards. Give him the benefit of the doubt at least.

Jamaal Lewis had quite the decline after his 2k yard season. So did TD (different story though). I don't trust this kid at ALL to pick his **** up.

killxswitch
09-20-2011, 10:47 AM

Adrian Peterson didn't handle his contract wrong. Look at him. He's still putting up big numbers in the 1st two weeks.

Chris Johnson was going to get paid, holdout or no holdout. I question his character.

I said teams would stack 8 in the box to stop him, and they have completely shut him down. With Adrian Peterson, stacking 8 in the box can only contain him. If you're an elite player, you can fight through that and atleast have good games. He's been completely taken out of games.

Adrian Peterson has been paid well as a RB in his rookie contract. Keeping in perspective that football players make tons of money, CJ was getting chump change. CJ had a lot more to lose by "handling it with class". What do you think the Titans would do if he tore an ACL before he got a new contract? Give him a big payday just to say thanks? No, they would offer him a low contract and show him the door if he said no.

Notice when the Ravens stacked the box against him, Hasslebeck destroyed them through the air. Teams can't just stack the box when Britt and Cook are out there and a real QB is throwing them the ball.

CJ will be back this year.

CashmoneyDrew
09-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Comparing Adrian Peterson's situation and CJ's situation is just silly.

bucfan12
09-20-2011, 10:57 AM

No, but people have said CJ2YPC and Adrian Peterson were in the same class. Clearly, both get paid and one performs at an elite level while the other is about to lose carries to Javon Ringer.

All I am saying is, Johnson opened his mouth once Fitzgerald got paid and wanted to be in the same range as his contract and wanted to be paid as the top RB. He got paid big $$ and hasn't performed. You can say , teams stacked the box, blah blah, but that hasn't stopped Adrian Peterson from still producing.

BTW, 2 Joe Flacco TOs put the Titans in that game, something the Titans did not do week 1, so it wasn't all the passing game.

Rosebud
09-20-2011, 11:00 AM
In one game CJ was limited by his own coach and in the other his team took advantage of the defense focusing entirely on him to gash a good team. So he's helping his team win more than AD is his...

Shane P. Hallam
09-20-2011, 11:16 AM

CJ will have a below average year this year. Most with holdouts due and don't stay quite in shape.

Barry Sanders was a "one trick pony" then. He made a lot of his yards off big runs. Same as Tennesspeed. Sorry, a 2,000 yard rusher isn't overrated. What I like about CJ is his running style will give him longevity. He doesn't take big blows, he is evasive. He'll have some huge games and some very poor ones. I'd look for a bounce back soon.

Complex
09-20-2011, 11:16 AM

He got 9 carries against the JAGS

You do know Chris Johnson had another year after this one on his contract right? If he tore his ACL would he still be getting paid top RB money? again AD was already the top paid runningback, CJ was making under a million dollars. You seem so upset he held out, why does it bother you so much?

LOL at you thinking AD never has bad games.

Complex
09-20-2011, 11:26 AM
No, but people have said CJ2YPC and Adrian Peterson were in the same class. Clearly, both get paid and one performs at an elite level while the other is about to lose carries to Javon Ringer.

All I am saying is, Johnson opened his mouth once Fitzgerald got paid and wanted to be in the same range as his contract and wanted to be paid as the top RB. He got paid big $$ and hasn't performed. You can say , teams stacked the box, blah blah, but that hasn't stopped Adrian Peterson from still producing.

BTW, 2 Joe Flacco TOs put the Titans in that game, something the Titans did not do week 1, so it wasn't all the passing game.

You are totally right he is losing carries to Ringer, 5 carries is a lot to a back-up running back. Chris Johnson might lose his Job, I can see it.Its 2 games, one game he got 9 carries and the other he faced a top 3 run defense. Adrian Peterson has been stopped many times through out his carry. When AD has a bad game I want to see a thread saying AD is chocking after getting 100 million dollar deal from you. The turnover did not put us in the game, we dominated the Ravens most of the game.

FUNBUNCHER
09-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Is CJ on your fantasy football team??
CJ can simply do things in this league no other RB can do. Maybe if CJ Spiller ever develops he would be similar, but not many RBs are a legit threat to go the distance on any carry.

Plus he's highly durable for a smallish back.
AD is a talent but CJ is his own man and legit.

He needs to get back into shape and improve his conditioning IMO. Let's see what kind of numbers CJ is putting up halfway through the season.

CJ is a back I can see being productive into his 30s, because he will still have high 4.3 - low 4.4 speed and because of his running style.

The Titans got a bargain IMO.

bucfan12
09-20-2011, 11:59 AM
You are totally right he is losing carries to Ringer, 5 carries is a lot to a back-up running back. Chris Johnson might lose his Job, I can see it.Its 2 games, one game he got 9 carries and the other he faced a top 3 run defense. Adrian Peterson has been stopped many times through out his carry. When AD has a bad game I want to see a thread saying AD is chocking after getting 100 million dollar deal from you. The turnover did not put us in the game, we dominated the Ravens most of the game.

Reason I'm saying this is Munchak and the coaching staff said they want to increase how many carries Ringer gets a game.

JBCX
09-20-2011, 12:00 PM
This is why you don't give big money to RBs.

There's always a younger guy who will play for less and the drop-off from the top RB to an undrafted free agent RB is never that terribly steep.

And in today's offenses, the RB is one of the least important pieces. It's all about your QB, your TE. and your WRs.

bucfan12
09-20-2011, 12:02 PM
This is why you don't give big money to RBs.

There's always a younger guy who will play for less and the drop-off from the top RB to an undrafted free agent RB is never that terribly steep.

And in today's offenses, the RB is one of the least important pieces. It's all about your QB, your TE. and your WRs.

Thank you. You can find RBs anywhere in the draft it seems. Most teams have 2-3 RBs that can be productive in limited workload. I mean, guys like Arian Foster and Legarrate Blount went undrafted, even in the past with Preist Holmes.

FUNBUNCHER
09-20-2011, 12:05 PM
You can't find ELITE RBs all over the draft.

CJ isn't just 'another' RB.
Maybe the Titans don't need an elite RB to be successful, but they're crazy if they expect to pay an elite RB like a backup and keep him happy.

stephenson86
09-20-2011, 12:17 PM
I will happily have every team in the NFL sell out to stop Johnson and limit him to **** performances if it means we can just sit back and pass the ball all over the field with ease. CJ's effect on the Titans isn't felt in his stat sheet, it is in everyone else's. If you left Ringer and Harper in the game then the pass game wouldn't be half as successful. Stats over wayyyyyyyyyyyy overrated. Take CJ off the Titans and we will probably have a top 3 pick.

soybean
09-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Everyone who's blaming the Raven's run D for Chris Johnson's numbers are waiving their right to make an excuse if he sucks against the broncos.

FUNBUNCHER
09-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Everyone who's blaming the Raven's run D for Chris Johnson's numbers are waiving their right to make an excuse if he sucks against the broncos.
Not really.

I don't think CJ is in game shape and I don't know if he's battling nagging injuries or not.
But for someone to argue CJ is overrated because he didn't rush for 400 yards and 6 TDs the first two games of the season is outrageous.

If he's healthy, CJ is going to beast. Bank on it.

killxswitch
09-20-2011, 01:11 PM

Everyone who says CJ now sucks based on 2 games after a lengthy holdout waives their right to be taken seriously as a football fan.

OzTitan
09-20-2011, 05:09 PM

lol, it didn't "shut him down" last season where he still put up good numbers relative to the league, but faced 8 man fronts basically every carry with the pathetic passing situations the Titans had.

OzTitan
09-20-2011, 05:13 PM

Hasn't AP enjoyed carry sharing throughout his career? I don't think it's fair to say CJ is losing carries to Ringer - he still got over 20 against the Ravens. It's simply because Ringer did something with his few carries (no surprise there, Ringer is a good back) that it seems he is stealing something from CJ, but in reality every starting RB will see a few carries go to their backups.

If the Titans were smart Ringer would be getting more carries regardless of CJ's situation or performance.

San Diego Chicken
09-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Wouldn't worry about it yet. In 1997, Barry Sanders had 53 combined rushing yards through 2 weeks. He finished the season with 2,053.

J-Mike88
09-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Defenses have keyed on him.
If a defense commits to stopping a runner, they always can.
But it allows the QB a chance to make em pay.

Matty Fire made the Ravens pay last week with 300+ yards.

Johnson's stats will look a lot better if he sees a hole for once, and flies thru for 70 yards. He's always been dependent on the big play.
They'll come.
I hope. This is the first year I've had him in FF!

TitanHope
09-20-2011, 08:45 PM

The Jags actually now have great run-stuffing personnel after adding Paul Posluzny (who is more of an upgrade over Morrison than being known for thumping) and especially Matt Roth to Terrence Knighton and Tyson Alualu. The Jets averaged 3.2 YPC against them, with Greene going 16-for-49 yards (3.1 YPC) and LDT and McKnight combining for 12-for-22 yards (1.8 YPC).

AD didn't have to make a business decision. He was a Top 10 draft pick and already had a very nice contract. CJ was 24th overall, and after you get out of the Top 10, contracts are drastically cheaper. What if CJ went out and tore his ACL or achilles before his contract extension was reached? For a homerun RB, that would've been a disaster. You can question his character all you want. He made a smart business decision. This is his occupation, and he's not going to risk his career so bucfan12 thinks he's a class act.

And people are forgetting this is the 2nd time CJ asked for an extension. The first time around, he was awarded a bandaid on his contract instead of a new deal. He even played through the season with the bandaid and never got the extension either. "He was going to get paid no matter what." Really? You know that? Bud Adams is a cheap ass and CJ already had to compromise a year before, and you know this major deal - a deal which you yourself said isn't worth giving to a RB since good RB's are apparently everywhere - was inevitable? Nevertheless, he gets lambasted for holding out for a new contract instead of showing up to camp during negotiations, yet the time before when he agreed on a compromise so he could get into camp with his teammates (and was never eventually rewarded with a new contract for doing so) is totally forgotten.

And you can't take a RB as good as CJ completely out of the game, because even if you've been shutting him down, he can go all the way on a single play. That constant attention has mandated single coverage on Kenny Britt and Nate Washington, who are 2nd and 19th respectively in receiving yards in the NFL. The RB version of the Randy Moss effect, if you will.

CJ had 24 carries against the Ravens, so he didn't lose any to Ringer.

And no, 2 3 Joe Flacco turnovers didn't put the Titans in the game. The Titans put themselves in the game. Hasselbeck and Britt put on a clinic in the passing game, the secondary blanketed the Ravens receivers, and after getting Jason Jones and Derrick Morgan back from injury, the DL was able to pressure Flacco. Anyone who watched that game can tell you the Titans dominated both sides of the football, and the turnovers were a result of that.

Reason I'm saying this is Munchak and the coaching staff said they want to increase how many carries Ringer gets a game.

The Vikes used a 2nd RD pick on Toby Gerhart. What does that take away from AD?

Bottomline is that CJ needs to do better and get into better shape, but him just being on the field opens things up due to defenses having to respect his speed. Good for AD for having two good games, but it's not surprising he got off quicker since he didn't holdout because his situation was not only different from CJ's, but was also a little dependent on CJ's too seeing as how they're the two best RB's and the amount CJ got would undoubtedly be looked at when finalizing AD's deal. Ringer isn't a threat to CJ, but it will be wise to spell CJ and Ringer is good enough to warrant 6 carries and 1-2 catches a game. It's not a surprise that people are so quick to jump on a guy that just heldout during TC, but most would agree that it's only a matter of time before he returns to form. And yes, even after producing poorly, he still deserved every penny of his deal.

J-Mike88
09-20-2011, 08:53 PM
CJ had to take care of business.
Seeing Jamaal Charles ACL shredded, untouched, is further evidence of why CJ needed to do that.

His contract was a fraction of stiffs like Gholston and JaMarcus and others in the top 5, 10. He was a steal coming outta East Carolina, and I would have had him hold out prior to last year if he was my client. He absorbed a full season's worth of hits and risk, on good faith.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-20-2011, 09:06 PM
new HC, New QB, and no mini camp, OTA and training camp.. It takes a while to get back to form.

LonghornsLegend
09-20-2011, 09:09 PM
No, but people have said CJ2YPC and Adrian Peterson were in the same class.

So, 2 games for you washes out the career for Chris Johnson then? Yea, that makes a ton of sense. I'm glad you spent so much time trying to explain that.

CJ had to take care of business.
Seeing Jamaal Charles ACL shredded, untouched, is further evidence of why CJ needed to do that.

To some people they'll never understand that aspect of it. But yea, he's just greedy and selfish. A holdout? Who would think a player would do such a thing.

vidae
09-20-2011, 10:10 PM
I don't know about Jamaals ACL being SHREDDED, but the point is still valid. :p

Bulldogs
09-21-2011, 12:19 PM
CJ2K needs to pick it up in order to save my fantasy team.

bantx
09-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Let's disreguard that CJ had a 2k season hes a choker now 2 games into the season.

pplz b3 tr1pp3nz

mellojello
09-22-2011, 12:44 AM
When CJ starts going off, my fantasy football team is going to be unstoppable.

LonghornsLegend
09-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Let's disreguard that CJ had a 2k season hes a choker now 2 games into the season.

pplz b3 tr1pp3nz

Don't you know, 2 games is an eternity on DC!

bucfan12
09-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Listen, I don't agree with the monster deals both Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson recieved for the position they play. Most teams are better off going to a 2 RB system or at least taking the load off of there top RBs.

It'd be better for the careers of Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson. However, I still think that Adrian Peterson is the best RB in the league and Chris Johnson isn't close to AP good at all. Neither deserve the money they got because a RBs prime is the year they get drafted til about 5th or 6th year as a pro before they are back up material.

I remember watching an interview with Lendale White a few years ago before he was drafted in 2006. He said when he interviewed with the Denver Broncos, they told him that if drafted, it would probably be a 1 contract type deal for him as they feel RBs are in there prime the 1st 4 -5 years before they wear down.

wogitalia
09-23-2011, 12:58 AM

Is it really that silly?

Both have new HC and OC(I think on Tennessee at least), both just got paid, both have new QBs. Peterson has one of the worst offensive lines in the league, Johnson's is closer to the best.

Yet Peterson is still beasting it and CJ has sucked so far. Their situations, outside of CJ have a vastly better OL, are very similar and they've been vying for the top RB status for the past few years.

I'm glad I stayed away in fantasy though.

Well, I say that, but I just lost Jamaal Charles so really just **** fantasy football this year.

Took Ray Rice at #2 instead of Foster, Charles and CJ2K(Peterson went #1)... Like a Boss ;)

Also, I'm not writing of CJ, still a big fan of him because he is one of the most exciting players around, my opinion certainly has dropped though, he bitched out his teammates with his preseason antics and is now playing like a guy who didn't do anything in the offseason, he thoroughly deserves every bit of criticism until he starts talking with his game and backing up the crap he was spitting in the offseason.

It's on him basically because he put in the hard yards to earn the negative reviews and criticism, now he needs to put in the hard yards to earn back respect.

TitanHope
09-23-2011, 01:04 AM
Is it really that silly?

Both have new HC and OC(I think on Tennessee at least), both just got paid, both have new QBs. Peterson has one of the worst offensive lines in the league, Johnson's is closer to the best.

Yet Peterson is still beasting it and CJ has sucked so far. Their situations, outside of CJ have a vastly better OL, are very similar and they've been vying for the top RB status for the past few years.

Oh, goodness me.

OzTitan
09-23-2011, 01:32 AM
Anyone who actually watches the Titans games can see the interior OL is quite poor in run blocking. The two OT's and Jake Scott at OG produce some exceptional games blocking for the pass, but the Titans don't have a single OL who excels in run blocking. I would estimate Stewart is probably the best at RT and he's still a better pass blocker.

wogitalia
09-23-2011, 02:42 AM
Oh, goodness me.

Have you seen the Vikings OL? If you don't think your line is vastly superior, you either haven't seen your line or our line.

Honestly, we have Hutch, who is maybe 75% of what he used to be and not a single other lineman that is even average, in either pass protection or run blocking. You guys have Roos, who alone is better than our entire OL combined in both phases. You actually have a pretty decent OL.

I'm also not using that as any kind of prop for or against CJ, CJ has produced on a par or better than AP over the past couple of years, which is pretty much the difference in their OLs. This year the difference is because CJ sat out the offseason and is not in game shape at this point in time. I think the success that Ringer is having is a better indication of where your line is at or Hasselbeck for that matter. You have a good OL. If our line isn't in the 5 worst in the league, I'd be surprised. We are on a par with the Bears when it comes to OL play.

TitanHope
09-23-2011, 02:47 AM
Anyone who actually watches the Titans games can see the interior OL is quite poor in run blocking. The two OT's and Jake Scott at OG produce some exceptional games blocking for the pass, but the Titans don't have a single OL who excels in run blocking. I would estimate Stewart is probably the best at RT and he's still a better pass blocker.

The great thing is that the Titans have the best pass-blocking OL in the league.

The bad this is also that the Titans have the best pass-blocking OL in the league.

nrk
09-23-2011, 08:07 AM
The great thing is that the Titans have the best pass-blocking OL in the league.

The bad this is also that the Titans have the best pass-blocking OL in the league.

The Titans' secret plan is to turn CJ into a QB.

stephenson86
09-23-2011, 08:43 AM
The Titans' secret plan is to turn CJ into a QB.

Because he knows what the Running Back will be thinking.

OzTitan
09-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Have you seen the Vikings OL? If you don't think your line is vastly superior, you either haven't seen your line or our line.

Honestly, we have Hutch, who is maybe 75% of what he used to be and not a single other lineman that is even average, in either pass protection or run blocking. You guys have Roos, who alone is better than our entire OL combined in both phases. You actually have a pretty decent OL.

I'm also not using that as any kind of prop for or against CJ, CJ has produced on a par or better than AP over the past couple of years, which is pretty much the difference in their OLs. This year the difference is because CJ sat out the offseason and is not in game shape at this point in time. I think the success that Ringer is having is a better indication of where your line is at or Hasselbeck for that matter. You have a good OL. If our line isn't in the 5 worst in the league, I'd be surprised. We are on a par with the Bears when it comes to OL play.

How bout' we call it a wash? no back has any clear advantage or disadvantage with their respective OLs. If either one does, it would be insignificant and minor. CJ being stuffed because either Amano, Harris or Scott got man handled by a DT was a common occurence last season - pretty sure those advanced stat outlets like FootballOutsiders captured this. Neither unit is particularly great at setting up the run - at least I know the Titans aren't because their OG play is simply too poor with the run, which I feel is a pretty good indication. I'll take your word on Hutchinson and Co.

And no D is worrying about Ringer. He's a solid backup but defenses simply go out of their "stop CJ" mode when he comes in. His success indicates nothing more than any other backup RB in NFL history who seemed to have a higher rate of success on limited carries relative to the starting RB. It's a fairly common phenomena.

CashmoneyDrew
09-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Is it really that silly?

Yes, because I was talking monetarily, as in contract situation and status.

I'm not even going to get into the other babble.
Done heard that word.

BuckNaked
09-23-2011, 07:23 PM
All homer aside, am I crazy to think Peterson is head and shoulders above Johnson (or any other back in the league for that matter)? Seriously the guy is in a league of his own. Imagine what he could do if he had a decently capable offensive line.

Ness
09-23-2011, 08:21 PM
All homer aside, am I crazy to think Peterson is head and shoulders above Johnson (or any other back in the league for that matter)? Seriously the guy is in a league of his own. Imagine what he could do if he had a decently capable offensive line.

I wouldn't say he's head and shoulders above any other back in the league. He'll have his bad days like everyone else, even when he had a better offensive line a few years ago. I'd still put Peterson in the same grouping as Chris Johnson, Michael Turner and Arian Foster. Peterson does seem more consistent though, so I guess that is a plus.

BuckNaked
09-23-2011, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't say he's head and shoulders above any other back in the league. He'll have his bad days like everyone else, even when he had a better offensive line a few years ago. I'd still put Peterson in the same grouping as Chris Johnson, Michael Turner and Arian Foster. Peterson does seem more consistent though, so I guess that is a plus.

Michael Turner? Really? Peterson has a size, speed, vision combination that Michael Turner would give his left nut to possess.

Ness
09-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Michael Turner? Really? Peterson has a size, speed, vision combination that Michael Turner would give his left nut to possess.

For me, Turner reminds me of Curtis Martin or Garrison Hearst. Not that flashy, but he gets the job done and gets the yards.

Breed
09-23-2011, 09:00 PM
I'd still put Peterson in the same grouping as Chris Johnson, Michael Turner and Arian Foster. Peterson does seem more consistent though, so I guess that is a plus.

Would Arian Foster be half as productive behind any other o-line in this league?

BuckNaked
09-23-2011, 09:06 PM
For me, Turner reminds me of Curtis Martin or Garrison Hearst. Not that flashy, but he gets the job done and gets the yards.

Please don't tell me that Garrison Hearst is anywhere near the same stratosphere that Adrian Peterson is in. I'm wasting my time by reading that statement.

Ness
09-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Would Arian Foster be half as productive behind any other o-line in this league?

Maybe. Would Jerry Rice have had as much of a prolific career if he played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers the majority of his career? Or the Saints? Without two Hall of Fame quarterbacks?

Ness
09-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Please don't tell me that Garrison Hearst is anywhere near the same stratosphere that Adrian Peterson is in. I'm wasting my time by reading that statement.

I didn't say that. I'm talking about running styles, not productivity. Those are two different things.

FUNBUNCHER
09-23-2011, 09:26 PM

What has AD done that puts him 'head and shoulders' above any RB in the NFL??
You talk like the guy is averaging 1700 yards a season, or doesn't fumble.

He's a great talent, but his production is just 'good'.
Walter Payton played on bad Bears teams almost his entire career, didn't matter.
AD needs to be more consistent and produce on a much higher level season to season before I consider him on his own tier.

CJ is in his own class as a runner, primarily because of his patience and rare speed and acceleration.

Just a difference in styles. You can forearm a LB and stiff arm a safety, or you can be the kind of RB who's a blur and faster than everyone in the secondary once he breaks free from the LOS.

Complex
09-23-2011, 10:31 PM

AD had one of the better lines a few years ago. What if Chris Johnson had some sort of consistent passing game for the last 3 years. He wouldn't have to face 8 in the box every game. Imagine what he could do.....

Yes you are crazy if you think he is heads and shoulders is above of Chris Johnson.

Rosebud
09-23-2011, 10:41 PM

Which is an indictment when you're talking about best RB in the league when guys who can actually dominate a game like AD, CJ2K, MJD, Steven Jackson and Ray Rice are out there.

yo123
09-23-2011, 10:48 PM
AD had one of the better lines a few years ago. What if Chris Johnson had some sort of consistent passing game for the last 3 years. He wouldn't have to face 8 in the box every game. Imagine what he could do.....

Yes you are crazy if you think he is heads and shoulders is above of Chris Johnson.

Peterson has only had a good passing game one year in his career. He does have 8 in the box every game. And the line has been terrible for a while now.

yo123
09-23-2011, 10:51 PM
He's a great talent, but his production is just 'good'.

Lol. Thanks for the sig quote.

Ness
09-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Which is an indictment when you're talking about best RB in the league when guys who can actually dominate a game like AD, CJ2K, MJD, Steven Jackson and Ray Rice are out there.

Turner can't dominate a game?

yo123
09-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Not really no. He's a fringe top 10 guy for me.

FUNBUNCHER
09-23-2011, 10:58 PM

Sig it up dude.
Nothing OMG!! about AD's statistical production as a Vike.
One 1700+ season, one year with 18 TDs. Nice yards/carry, but to say he's producing on a level above every RB in the league, in this era that's not saying much.

If you like AD, you must LOVE CJ2K.

Ness
09-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Not really no. He's a fringe top 10 guy for me.

Wow completely disagree.

yo123
09-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Sig it up dude.
Nothing OMG!! about AD's statistical production as a Vike.
One 1700+ season, one year with 18 TDs. Nice yards/carry, but to say he's producing on a level above every RB in the league, in this era that's not saying much.

If you like AD, you must LOVE CJ2K.

Raw yardage and TD numbers are always the best way to judge a football player.

FUNBUNCHER
09-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Raw yardage and TD numbers are always the best way to judge a football player.

Yeah, blind homerism is always the most accurate measure of a player's impact.

yo123
09-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Yeah, blind homerism is always the most accurate measure of a player's impact.

Saying Adrian Peterson is the best RB in the league is homerism? Ok. I guess Patriot fans can't say Tom Brady is the best QB in the league, or Jets fans can't say Revis is the best CB.

FUNBUNCHER
09-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Saying Adrian Peterson is the best RB in the league is homerism? Ok. I guess Patriot fans can't say Tom Brady is the best QB in the league, or Jets fans can't say Revis is the best CB.

I was responding to the guy who said AD was 'head and shoulders' above CJ and any other RB in the league.

If you think that's true, you wear purple on Sundays.

yo123
09-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Wow completely disagree.

What sets him apart from a guy like Forte or Gore? He's slow as hell, isn't a big play threat, and is the worst receiver out of the backfield in the league. He'll hit a hole if it's there and get 4 yards or so. That's pretty much what he is.

Bulldogs
09-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Michael Turner has been brutal this year other than two big runs. He completely disappeared for 3 quarters in the Eagles game against a pretty awful run D. His season this year is a tale of stats not telling the whole story.

Breed
09-23-2011, 11:19 PM

lol, this made me giggle.

Ness
09-23-2011, 11:41 PM
What sets him apart from a guy like Forte or Gore? He's slow as hell, isn't a big play threat, and is the worst receiver out of the backfield in the league. He'll hit a hole if it's there and get 4 yards or so. That's pretty much what he is.

He's a bruiser, not a home run threat like Gore is. He's going to get you the yards and his biggest runs are probably going to be like twenty yards or so a la Curtis Martin. Doesn't mean he can't dominate a game. He isn't that great of a receiver and isn't that fast I will give you that. But neither was Jerome Bettis or Corey Dillon.

Rosebud
09-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Turner can't dominate a game?

Not really. He's a tough runner, but if the holes aren't opening up he isn't going just run over 4-5 guys to still make a play. Plus he doesn't have the speed to offset that by making the team worry he'll take it all the way on any play.

He's a bruiser, not a home run threat like Gore is. He's going to get you the yards and his biggest runs are probably going to be like twenty yards or so a la Curtis Martin. Doesn't mean he can't dominate a game. He isn't that great of a receiver and isn't that fast I will give you that. But neither was Jerome Bettis or Corey Dillon.

Yeah but he's not untackle able like Bettis and Corey Dillon, just like Curtis Martin was never a dominant RB nor the best RB in the league which is why I think neither deserve the HoF and being compared to either way is not a good thing when trying to argue a guy for Best in the league. Then again I don't think either Turner or Foster are all that great and would easily take the five I mentioned in my previous post above them.

Ness
09-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Not really. He's a tough runner, but if the holes aren't opening up he isn't going just run over 4-5 guys to still make a play. Plus he doesn't have the speed to offset that by making the team worry he'll take it all the way on any play.

If holes aren't opening up on any offensive line a runningback is going to struggle. The only person that could have offset that is Barry Sanders. Adrian Peterson isn't going to plow a bunch of defensive linemen and linebackers over to get 7 or 8 yards without some kind of push from his offensive line. No runningback will in this era.

Yeah but he's not untackle able like Bettis and Corey Dillon, just like Curtis Martin was never a dominant RB nor the best RB in the league which is why I think neither deserve the HoF and being compared to either way is not a good thing when trying to argue a guy for Best in the league. Then again I don't think either Turner or Foster are all that great and would easily take the five I mentioned in my previous post above them.

No runningback is untackable. If you want to say he couldn't break tackles as much as Bettis or Dillon, you'd have a point especially with Bettis. Dillon it may be a toss up. Martin was just never flashy, but he did have the ability to dominate a game, like Turner does. At least in my opinion.

Dallas357
09-25-2011, 07:06 PM
20 something yards again?

Breed
09-25-2011, 07:09 PM
20 something yards again?

20 yards on 13 carries, CRIS JOHNSON IS GARBAGE!

bucfan12
09-25-2011, 07:39 PM
I wonder if he thinks he's still worth all that money?

islandboy843
09-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Man has NFLDC fallen.... Yes lets not put 8 in the box against the most dangerous RB in the game. Lets focus on Hasslebeck because he is oh so great..CJj is the reason why Titans passing game is all of a sudden good for once

CashmoneyDrew
09-25-2011, 08:37 PM
I was at the game today. He literally had no holes to go through on his running plays. Some of the detractors are sounding like bitter fantasy owners instead of looking at the situation without some kind of bias.

Jvig43
09-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Man has NFLDC fallen.... Yes lets not put 8 in the box against the most dangerous RB in the game. Lets focus on Hasslebeck because he is oh so great..CJj is the reason why Titans passing game is all of a sudden good for once

Couldn't agree more with how many of these threads are being made.

Bulldogs
09-25-2011, 09:15 PM
**** Chris Johnson. Drafted him #6 overall in fantasy or Run DMC and Shady, has done nothing to help me win games.

CashmoneyDrew
09-25-2011, 09:20 PM
**** Chris Johnson. Drafted him #6 overall in fantasy or Run DMC and Shady, has done nothing to help me win games.

Yup. It's too bad that CJ can't block for himself.

Breed
09-25-2011, 09:26 PM

Thought CJ2K was the type of RB that made something out of nothing?

Complex
09-25-2011, 09:28 PM

The only person that can make a nice run with our run blocking right now is Barry Sanders.

TitanHope
09-25-2011, 09:29 PM

I think Ringer had -7 yards on 4 attempts, so yeah, you thought right.

OzTitan
09-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Titans run blocking laid down the challenge to the Vikes this game - ball is in your court (backfield?) now Minny!

Bulldogs
09-25-2011, 09:51 PM

Unfortunately teams stacking the box doesn't help me win fantasy football games.

Breed
10-30-2011, 07:56 PM
CJ2YPC still sucks..

bucfan12
10-30-2011, 09:52 PM
CJ2YPC needs a compliment. I think he'll be successful again, but this prick wasn';t worth what he recieved in money. I think that's why Chicago is hesitant in giving Matt Forte that large contract. He may only be productive for 2 more seasons at the level he's at now.

Brodeur
10-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Javon Ringer isn't a bad backup, and has at least outperformed Chris lately.

CashmoneyDrew
10-31-2011, 10:26 AM
CJ2YPC still sucks..

Nice, now you can tell people that you two have something in common.