PDA

View Full Version : A.J. Jenkins WR, Illinois

Bearsfan123
09-22-2011, 08:24 AM
I was just wondering what people thought of him.

When I watch the Illini he always stands out by making plays. He catches the ball with his hands very well. But he doesn't seem to have great attributes. What is NFLDC's opinion?

rawdawg
09-22-2011, 09:15 PM
I like AJ Jenkins a lot as a sleeper. He kinda reminds me of Denarius Moore from last year's draft. He should go in the 5th-6th round, like Moore, and I think NFL teams will find that he's a lot better than most people think he is.

With Moore, the book on him coming out was that he was just a straight line athlete, who was a work in progress as a route runner. From Day 1 of Raiders camp, he showed he could do more than just run the 9-route. With Jenkins, I think the book is going to be that he's a solid route runner that doesn't quite have the deep speed. But I wouldn't be surprised if Jenkins runs a sub 4.45 in the 40 and gets on the field as a rookie....like Moore has.

I feel like there's a lot of low risk, high reward with guys like this. Jenkins has above average speed, has solid hands, is a good route runner, but he is completely under utilized (up until this year I guess) at Illinois. Can't say that either Jenkins or Moore had a half decent QB situation in college. If so, I think you are looking at a 2nd-to-early 3rd round talent.

bigbenn
09-23-2011, 08:27 PM
I had him pegged as a national breakout WR this year. I've always compared him to a bigger, faster Santonio Holmes, and the clutch TD against ASU last week just feeds that. I have called him a future early round pick at WR since the Minnesota game his freshman year and I think he will end up there at least, but now he'll possibly go higher. He made a big jump last year and an even bigger jump this year. Paul Petrino is definitely a big part of that (Best WR coach in the country) but Jenkins was a great talent from day one and I think the best is yet to come.

As for attributes, I think people are underestimating his. He's not the biggest WR at 6'0, 195 or so pounds but he is very strong (Underrated there as he benches 225 15+ times) and he has underrated speed. People make the mistake of thinking he isn't a burner because he's so smooth but he is a legit 4.4 guy and I wouldn't be shocked with sub 4.4 times at the NFL combine. He has great hands and runs great routes too since the Illini run a pro style offense. I think Jenkins is slept on by many (Like more than a few Illini players) but don't be surprised if he is drafted higher than you think. He's the best WR in the B10 this year and one of the best nationally.

I disagree with the half decent QB comment because Scheelhaase is a stud and only a soph. I also disagree with the underutilized part. He almost transfered after his soph season because that year (2009) was just bad all the way around but he rebounded with a good year last year despite playing in a run heavy offense/with Scheelhaase as a freshman. Again he is even better this year. Watch out for more of Jenkins and if you want a sneak preview of a WR who will probably be even better, watch out for Darius Millines. Millines is the truth too but is only a soph.

rawdawg
09-24-2011, 08:55 AM
He's played 2 games with the sophomore version of Scheelhaase, who wasn't that good last year. And Illinois is like 82nd in passing offense this year. And you saying "run heavy offense" helps my argument that he was under utilized. Football is a wide open passing game. His numbers won't be close to the top WRs at the end of the year. That's what I meant by under utilized.

Oh and Santonio ran a 4.35 at his pro day. Jenkins will not be faster than that. Other than that, it's not a bad comparison. I think he's a similar type of WR, though it would be crazy to expect him to be as good as Tone is.

iowatreat54
09-24-2011, 05:59 PM
He's the best WR in the B10 this year and one of the best nationally.

Hahahaha yea, not even close.

Cunningham, McNutt, and Toon are all better WRs than Jenkins, both in terms of on the field production, tools, and measurables.

bigbenn
09-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Hahahaha yea, not even close.

Cunningham, McNutt, and Toon are all better WRs than Jenkins, both in terms of on the field production, tools, and measurables.

Nope...but you can keep believing. I heard the same thing last year about Corey Liuget. We all know how that turned out.

bigbenn
09-26-2011, 01:26 PM
He's played 2 games with the sophomore version of Scheelhaase, who wasn't that good last year. And Illinois is like 82nd in passing offense this year. And you saying "run heavy offense" helps my argument that he was under utilized. Football is a wide open passing game. His numbers won't be close to the top WRs at the end of the year. That's what I meant by under utilized.

Oh and Santonio ran a 4.35 at his pro day. Jenkins will not be faster than that. Other than that, it's not a bad comparison. I think he's a similar type of WR, though it would be crazy to expect him to be as good as Tone is.

Key words there, at his pro day. Jenkins will be in the same ballpark as that, just watch. I'd say 4.35-4.38. I also still stand by my "Jenkins is faster" comment. Holmes is fast, but he is much more quick than fast (Extremely quick I should add). Jenkins is more flat out speed. Either way, Jenkins is a stud. As for the part about being underutilized, if that's your definition then I see what you're saying but IMO he still hasn't been underutilized. Just look at the percentage of throws he has gotten this year and last year.

iowatreat54
09-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Nope...but you can keep believing. I heard the same thing last year about Corey Liuget. We all know how that turned out.

Please, do explain what areas Jenkins is better at than those listed. I would like to know what qualifies him as best in the conference if it isn't production and measurables.

Not only have the other 3 proven more in the Big Ten during their careers, they are also all better pro prospects at this point in time. You cannot honestly say that right now Jenkins is the best in the conference. In fact, I'm willing to bet by the end of the season barring any injuries to the top WRs, that Jenkins doesn't get 1st team All Big Ten.

I like Jenkins as a WR, and he might turn out to be great. But at this point in time, he is not the best in the Big Ten. Now, if you said he will be by year's end you would have an argument because it's entirely possible. But this is just like a couple years ago when going into the season, you said Illinois had the best DL in the Big Ten, maybe the country, and they ended up like 10th in defense in the conference.

jbooshey
09-26-2011, 05:41 PM
I think the Big 10 is loaded at WR this year.

Jenkins is a nice player (but no...not the best in the conference)

Demarlo Belcher has some nice tools, but his whole team is struggling this year. Is he injured?

Marvin McNutt and Keenan Davis from Iowa are both tough matchups for any CB.

Junior Hemingway from Michigan is a guy who would be on the radar if Denard Robinson was able to throw a forward pass.

BJ Cunningham from MSU is awesome.

Da'Jon McKnight from Minny is about the only offensive threat outside of the QB.

Unsure about Nebraska, but Martinez makes Denard Robinson look like Aaron Rodgers when it comes to passing.

Northwestern doesn't really have anyone this year.

Devier Posey of OSU is a solid NFL prospect who will struggle statistically with a freshman QB.

Derek Moye a 6'5" WR from PSU will get some strong looks from scouts.

Purdue is umm...uh...yeah

Wisconsin has the most talented WR in the league in Nick Toon. With Wilson at QB, his numbers should be pretty solid as well.

keylime_5
10-01-2011, 01:27 PM
I gotta admit, Jenkins does look a lot like Santonio Holmes. Spot on comparison IMO. Idk if he runs routes and blocks like Holmes, but he is very similar otherwise.

bigbenn
10-01-2011, 04:14 PM
I gotta admit, Jenkins does look a lot like Santonio Holmes. Spot on comparison IMO. Idk if he runs routes and blocks like Holmes, but he is very similar otherwise.

Illinois runs a pro style offense (Just tweaked it a bit to fit Scheelhaase's strengths) and Jenkins can block but his route running is something to see. That is no small thanks to Paul Petrino who is the best WR coach in the country IMO.

ChiFan24
10-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Please, do explain what areas Jenkins is better at than those listed. I would like to know what qualifies him as best in the conference if it isn't production and measurables.

Not only have the other 3 proven more in the Big Ten during their careers, they are also all better pro prospects at this point in time. You cannot honestly say that right now Jenkins is the best in the conference. In fact, I'm willing to bet by the end of the season barring any injuries to the top WRs, that Jenkins doesn't get 1st team All Big Ten.

I like Jenkins as a WR, and he might turn out to be great. But at this point in time, he is not the best in the Big Ten. Now, if you said he will be by year's end you would have an argument because it's entirely possible. But this is just like a couple years ago when going into the season, you said Illinois had the best DL in the Big Ten, maybe the country, and they ended up like 10th in defense in the conference.

He's better at being a wide receiver than those other guys.

bigbenn
10-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Full NW game for those interested in Jenkins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDms10WI6ww&feature=player_embedded#!

ChiFan24
10-08-2011, 03:13 PM
A.J. is sick.

rawdawg
10-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Granted, I've seen enough of AJ Jenkins the last few years to be impressed with his ability as a WR. But his performance yesterday should not sway anyone to boost him up draft boards. IU has absolutely 0 talent in the defensive backfield. And yesterday, Jenkins got 144 of his 182 yards on 2 plays where he beat man coverage from a former IU baseball player who walked onto the football team and became a starting CB last year within 2 weeks because they were so desperate for help there.

Again, not trying to discount what Jenkins has done, because as you see above I am a fan. But as an IU alum, their CB play has been terrible my entire life other than Tracy Porter's 4 years.

ChiFan24
10-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Agreed. I just want to bump the thread because more people should be talking about the guy. How Scott moved him down in his rankings is beyond me. Same with B.J. Cunningham for that matter.