PDA

View Full Version : Best Up & Coming QB Prospect From Virginia

shylo3716
09-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Who will be the best QB prospect to come out of the State?

shylo3716
09-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Tajh Boyd - Good leader, which showed on the HS level, but due to his massive physique he will be under/oversized for the QB position in many eyes. I can look forward to scouts trying to convert him over to RB ala Michael Robinson.

Mike Glennon - Could be a consensus #1 overall QB prospect since Wilson is gone.

E.J. Manuel - Sky is the limit for his production, but as of right now he does not challenge defenses with the deep ball.

Bryn Renner - ?

Phillip Sims - Proven WINNER/LEADER from day 1 at the age of 14, when he got thrown to the wolves & took over as the starting QB. Has a lot to work on as far as experience on the collegiate level, but could be the best prospect.

Logan Thomas - I really see Daunte Culpepper all over again. He has the strong arm with the ability to scramble, but how much of a leader can he be.

ChiFan24
09-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Not E.J. Manuel.

Caulibflower
09-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Why is this a thread, other than shylo having an itchy "post new thread" finger?

Caulibflower
09-23-2011, 04:01 AM
Sorry, I'm being kind of a dick. Virginia has produced some pretty remarkable college QB prospects in the last few years, but a few of those guys have yet to even make a name for themselves in college. You gotta do a bit of that before you can talk about being a pro prospect, or else you're just looking at scout.com profiles, marveling over projected 40 times and watching the odd Youtube video where a guy throws a nice deep ball in spring practice. Some of these guys aren't even going to be draft eligible for a year or two.

shylo3716
09-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Sorry, I'm being kind of a dick. Virginia has produced some pretty remarkable college QB prospects in the last few years, but a few of those guys have yet to even make a name for themselves in college. You gotta do a bit of that before you can talk about being a pro prospect, or else you're just looking at scout.com profiles, marveling over projected 40 times and watching the odd Youtube video where a guy throws a nice deep ball in spring practice. Some of these guys aren't even going to be draft eligible for a year or two.

I want to +rep you soo bad for your acknowledgment, but I CANNOT! You went on to bash before you even took thought to what you were saying about the thread.

VA is on the MAP with QBs & we don't get acknowledged at all. I was putting it out there for everyone to take a notice to it.

tjsunstein
09-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Pretty sure it's coincidence and not something in the water. I'm also not quite sure anyone would acknowledge a state for being on the map for college football QBs. Why would that be important?

shylo3716
09-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Pretty sure it's coincidence and not something in the water. I'm also not quite sure anyone would acknowledge a state for being on the map for college football QBs. Why would that be important?

Why even ask?

tjsunstein
09-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Why even ask?
Kind of my point...

shylo3716
09-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Kind of my point...

Like I've stated.....our talents should be considered as well, especially since we have been keeping the prospects coming on a regular from the State.

Scout.com Nat'l HS QB Rank

Tajh Boyd #4
Mike Glennon #5
E.J. Manuel #2
Bryn Renner #8
Phillip Sims #2
Logan Thomas*(#2 TE)

nobodyinparticular
09-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Like I've stated.....our talents should be considered as well, especially since we have been keeping the prospects coming on a regular from the State.

Scout.com Nat'l HS QB Rank

Tajh Boyd #4
Mike Glennon #5
E.J. Manuel #2
Bryn Renner #8
Phiilip Sims #2
Logan Thomas*(#2 TE)

I will echo what Calubflower said, talk to me when they actually do SOMETHING in college.

1. This belongs in the college football forum if we are talking about HS QBs.
2. For me, up and coming means they have already laid the groundwork in the college game. Remember Ronald Curry overshadowing Michael Vick in high school? How did that one work out? High school doesn't always translate to the pros or even college. So you have to prove it in college before you are an "up and comer."

SolidGold
09-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Clint Trickett ;)

shylo3716
10-02-2011, 03:03 AM
Any Tajh Boyd fans now? 4-0 4 Ranked opponents.

prock
10-02-2011, 03:51 AM

I will echo what Calubflower said, talk to me when they actually do SOMETHING in college.

1. This belongs in the college football forum if we are talking about HS QBs.
2. For me, up and coming means they have already laid the groundwork in the college game. Remember Ronald Curry overshadowing Michael Vick in high school? How did that one work out? High school doesn't always translate to the pros or even college. So you have to prove it in college before you are an "up and comer."

Chill the **** out. It's a draft forum, he wants to talk about these guys are prospects. Seriously, people always get bent out of shape about starting new threads, but does it really matter? If you think it's dumb don't post in it. If anything, it promotes more activity on the forum, which is a good thing.

Anyway, I think Mike Glennon has a chance to be a stud. I don't know much about all of those guys you posted, but this would be my opinion.

shylo3716
10-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Chill the **** out. It's a draft forum, he wants to talk about these guys are prospects. Seriously, people always get bent out of shape about starting new threads, but does it really matter? If you think it's dumb don't post in it. If anything, it promotes more activity on the forum, which is a good thing.

Anyway, I think Mike Glennon has a chance to be a stud. I don't know much about all of those guys you posted, but this would be my opinion.

Thank you for your appreciation of the stat. +204 rep

shylo3716
10-02-2011, 08:34 AM
I'm just surprised no one has boarded the Tajh Boyd wagon yet.....I been knew how good he was since HS, but if anyone else was to speak on it, HS ball does not mean ****.

My guy is still Sims...I just hope McCarron blows scouts away next year, because I'm quite sure there will be no competition in Saban camp.

Rabscuttle
10-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Clemson hasn't been shown yet throught the first chunk of the season so I have no idea what Boyd is doing. It looks like he had to take a different approach to the VT game and still succeeded on the road this time.

Manuel was frustrating in the Oklahoma game. His throwing motion was reworked and was supposed to be fixed since the Bowl game. Now this horrible ball is coming out, maybe worse than before so his arm strength really means nothing. Really frustrating.

And it isn't a bad thread idea to show that a region may be starting to deliver talent. Millions of worse ones come across boards. You should go to a Niner board where there are often five to ten threads on Alex sucking or Alex not getting a fair shake, repeat threads get on the nerves. The threads nobody is interested in should go to page two fast enough.

shylo3716
10-02-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm quite sure Tajh would like to give a SPECIAL dedication to Lane Kiffin for turning him down. If it were not for Kiffin there would be know Bray. Even Kiffin told Boyd the only way he would remain at Tennessee is if he would make a position switch, because he did not fit his Pro-Style offense.

My what GREAT success he is having Lane, MINUS the sanctions.

shylo3716
10-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Logan Thomas I really don't buy into him at all.

Greg Boone HS QB gets converted to TE at Tech
Logan Thomas HS TE gets converted to QB at Tech

You cannot tell me that football is not about politics, Frank Beamer messed Boone's career up.

SolidGold
10-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Neither Thomas or Boyd really impressed me last night.

shylo3716
10-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Neither Thomas or Boyd really impressed me last night.

Boyd is better then advertised, but I just don't know about Thomas.

shylo3716
10-02-2011, 09:54 AM
On a side note it painfully kills me that Sims comes in with 5 minutes left EVERY week just to hand the ball off. :'/

SolidGold
10-02-2011, 09:56 AM
I think Sims obviously got outplayed by McArron in the QB competition...you might have to let that one go...lol

marks01234
10-02-2011, 11:45 AM
As for pro future, Glennon stands out to me. He is going to need add 20+ pounds but you can't teach that size and arm strength. I think his game translates best to the pros.

BTW, Russell Wilson should be in this discussion.

SolidGold
10-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Bryn Renner has also played pretty well. Glennon isn't living up to his billing so far though, he needs to play better down the stretch.

shylo3716
10-02-2011, 12:06 PM
As for pro future, Glennon stands out to me. He is going to need add 20+ pounds but you can't teach that size and arm strength. I think his game translates best to the pros.

BTW, Russell Wilson should be in this discussion.

I really don't believe he has a future in the NFL as a 5'11'' QB.

Rabscuttle
10-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Sims didn't look ready yet. McCarron isn't setting the world on fire, but he is managing games for Bama so far. Sims needs to make the most of his practice reps and film room time to set himself up for spring ball because he does have upside.

(Why I get such a heavy dose of Bama over every other team is beyond me. I'm getting no Pac games at all and few Big 12 games. Going to be a rough year for watching non-SEC/ACC/Big10 guys)

shylo3716
10-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Sims didn't look ready yet. McCarron isn't setting the world on fire, but he is managing games for Bama so far. Sims needs to make the most of his practice reps and film room time to set himself up for spring ball because he does have upside.

Sims is in a very good/bad position in his career right now. He has all the potential to be the guy, but at the same time he may or may not ever get his opportunty behind McCarron until his Sr year which will set him back.

FUNBUNCHER
10-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Mike Glennon is quietly having an outstanding season for NC State.
6'6, 230#, can scramble a little and has maybe the best arm in the 2012 class.

He reminds me physically of Joe Flacco, but less introverted and more fiery.
Glennon is one guy I could see rising higher than any QB prospect prior to the draft.

BlackandGrey
11-11-2011, 01:49 AM
While not the popular choice, the more I see Logan Thomas, the more I like him. He can move the pile with ease and has a cannon for an arm while still being fairly raw. If he stays in school two more years, I see good things ahead for him.

FUNBUNCHER
11-11-2011, 01:54 AM
While not the popular choice, the more I see Logan Thomas, the more I like him. He can move the pile with ease and has a cannon for an arm while still being fairly raw. If he stays in school two more years, I see good things ahead for him.

It's amazing how much he's improved since the start of the season.
If he stays at Va Tech for two more years, he looks like the Hokies best pro QB prospect since Mike Vick.
Physically I know of Tech fans who were comparing him to Cam Newton, size wise and arm strength. He definitely looks the part.

shylo3716
11-11-2011, 04:39 AM
It's amazing how much he's improved since the start of the season.
If he stays at Va Tech for two more years, he looks like the Hokies best pro QB prospect since Mike Vick.
Physically I know of Tech fans who were comparing him to Cam Newton, size wise and arm strength. He definitely looks the part.

I see Daunte Culpepper

FUNBUNCHER
11-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Mike Glennon had his signature game against a tough Clemson squad, throwing for 3 TDs and zero picks against the Tigers.

Physically just throwing the ball I'd put him up against anyone available in the 2012 draft. Not quite the pure cannon as Mallett, but at 6'6, 225#, he's more mobile than Ryan Mallett and mentally tougher than Joe Flacco.

Even if he has another year of eligibility left( he redshirted), his talent was apparent enough for NC State HC Tom O'Brien to tell Tyler Wilson to hit the bricks.

If Glennon stays he has a chance to go #1 overall, but since most rookies are playing for their second contract anyway since the new CBA was signed, I think Mike should leave for the pros now.

Other than Luck/Barkley/RGIII, Mike Glennon is my favorite QB prospect leading up to the draft.

Tools wise, I like Luck's mobility and overall athletic game, RGIII because of his accuracy/mobility. But I don't think anyone in this draft has a thing on Glennon when it comes to throwing the football.

BuddyCHRIST
11-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Glennon #1 overall are you freaking joking? He would be lucky to go in the top 5 rounds this year. He can throw the ball when he's allowed to stand back there, but thats about it.

People tend to look at triangle numbers and stats and think a guy is an amazing pro prospect but he's not. Playing QB is alot more than just straight arm talent.

FUNBUNCHER
11-20-2011, 02:04 AM
Glennon #1 overall are you freaking joking? He would be lucky to go in the top 5 rounds this year. He can throw the ball when he's allowed to stand back there, but thats about it.

People tend to look at triangle numbers and stats and think a guy is an amazing pro prospect but he's not. Playing QB is alot more than just straight arm talent.

Glennon has no chance to go #1 in 2012???
I'm assuming Barkley leaves for the 2012 draft.
Have you ever seen the guy play??? Glennon has the smarts, intangibles, leadership and functional mobility to go along with his arm.
It would be nice if he had more starting experience, but I think right now he's no worse than a third rounder.

To call him a at best a 6th rounder is ridiculous.
Thanks though for the heads up that it takes more than a great arm to be a good QB.

SolidGold
11-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Michael Rocco!!!!!

shylo3716
11-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Michael Rocco!!!!!

Ooops My Bad

SolidGold
11-20-2011, 11:04 AM
He's not from VA

He is from Lynchburg Va.

SolidGold
11-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Mike Glennon had his signature game against a tough Clemson squad, throwing for 3 TDs and zero picks against the Tigers.

Physically just throwing the ball I'd put him up against anyone available in the 2012 draft. Not quite the pure cannon as Mallett, but at 6'6, 225#, he's more mobile than Ryan Mallett and mentally tougher than Joe Flacco.

Even if he has another year of eligibility left( he redshirted), his talent was apparent enough for NC State HC Tom O'Brien to tell Tyler Wilson to hit the bricks.

If Glennon stays he has a chance to go #1 overall, but since most rookies are playing for their second contract anyway since the new CBA was signed, I think Mike should leave for the pros now.

Other than Luck/Barkley/RGIII, Mike Glennon is my favorite QB prospect leading up to the draft.

Tools wise, I like Luck's mobility and overall athletic game, RGIII because of his accuracy/mobility. But I don't think anyone in this draft has a thing on Glennon when it comes to throwing the football.

I like Glennon but he has disappointed me a little bit. He does have a strong throw but has a hitch in his throwing motion. I don't think he is first round worthy after an up and down junior campaign but he can improve his chances next year.

shylo3716
11-20-2011, 11:07 AM
He is from Lynchburg Va.

Ooops My Bad

^^^^^^^^^^^

BTW every prospect in the poll is classified under a Jr.

SolidGold
11-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Ha its cool...I was half joking. UVA is a hell of a story though. Rocco has a chance to improve moving forward, he is a sophomore right now so he can improve his stock the next few years.

shylo3716
11-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Ha its cool...I was half joking. UVA is a hell of a story though. Rocco has a chance to improve moving forward, he is a sophomore right now so he can improve his stock the next few years.

I really don't view him as a helluva guy... I believe Fr. David Watford can be a better player than Rocco although he is just an ATH.

SolidGold
11-20-2011, 11:51 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^

BTW every prospect in the poll is classified under a Jr.

Yea that was not specified in your poll though. The best up and coming prospect from Va is the only thing specified.

Also, there is more to VA than the Hampton roads area even though you seem to be a big homer.

shylo3716
11-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Glennon Renner Thomas not 757 bred.... also there is a selection for Other :D

VAfy-ya
11-25-2011, 04:24 PM
I really don't view him as a helluva guy... I believe Fr. David Watford can be a better player than Rocco although he is just an ATH.

Rocco is ok. He is still too eratic for my taste. He has accuracy issues at the worst times. I think London screwed Watford. The guy was not ready, as a true freshmen, for meaniful snaps under center this year. And he's not a great enough athlete to be used in the gimmick fashion they tried to earlier in the year. So you burn his red-shirt for nothing. Just a dumb decision by London and Co. If he would have just went with Rocco from jump and stuck with him, we would have looked better offensively early and may have had one less loss. Watford has a long way to go though. His accuracy is worst than Rocco's. All he has going for him is his escapability and he's able to throw on the run. Having four more years for Lazor to mold him would have been ideal.

shylo3716
11-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Rocco is ok. He is still too eratic for my taste. He has accuracy issues at the worst times. I think London screwed Watford. The guy was not ready, as a true freshmen, for meaniful snaps under center this year. And he's not a great enough athlete to be used in the gimmick fashion they tried to earlier in the year. So you burn his red-shirt for nothing. Just a dumb decision by London and Co. If he would have just went with Rocco from jump and stuck with him, we would have looked better offensively early and may have had one less loss. Watford has a long way to go though. His accuracy is worst than Rocco's. All he has going for him is his escapability and he's able to throw on the run. Having four more years for Lazor to mold him would have been ideal.

That was a very bonehead move of him.

BRAVEHEART
11-25-2011, 06:30 PM
If I had to vote again....
http://i2.esmas.com/2010/06/09/125065/rockos-modern-life-jpg-470x460.jpg

shylo3716
11-25-2011, 06:37 PM
If I had to vote again....
http://i2.esmas.com/2010/06/09/125065/rockos-modern-life-jpg-470x460.jpg

Logan's not good enough for you now?

BRAVEHEART
11-25-2011, 06:39 PM
I still like him, but I feel like Rocko will be pretty solid by the time he's finished at UVA.

shylo3716
11-25-2011, 06:45 PM
I still like him, but I feel like Rocko will be pretty solid by the time he's finished at UVA.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-T6bAoDaNQEM/Tk0hYG7CIoI/AAAAAAAAAmE/z6id-t66Np4/s400/if%2Bits%2Btoo%2Bloud%2B8.jpg

VAfy-ya
11-26-2011, 04:26 PM

One thing I will say about Rocco, he is a pretty good pocket passer. But if he has to move off his spot in anyway, shape, form, or fashion, his accuracy pluments. He is has has no instincts in the pocket and he drops his eyes as soon as he feels any kind of pressure. I understand he's still a sophmore but I just don't see anything special with Rocco. We have a pretty good recruit in Greyson Lambert from GA coming in so the future looks bright but I have my doubts about Rocco to make it to his senior year as the starter.

As much as it pains me to say this, as I hate Tek, Logan Thomas looks to have a bright future. And it really sucks to say that.

BlackandGrey
11-26-2011, 06:21 PM
One thing I will say about Rocco, he is a pretty good pocket passer. But if he has to move off his spot in anyway, shape, form, or fashion, his accuracy pluments. He is has has no instincts in the pocket and he drops his eyes as soon as he feels any kind of pressure. I understand he's still a sophmore but I just don't see anything special with Rocco. We have a pretty good recruit in Greyson Lambert from GA coming in so the future looks bright but I have my doubts about Rocco to make it to his senior year as the starter.

As much as it pains me to say this, as I hate Tek, Logan Thomas looks to have a bright future. And it really sucks to say that.

Today's game must have really sucked for you. :)