PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Curry is headed to the bench

Pages : [1] 2

Splat
09-22-2011, 05:30 PM
The "can't miss" prospect from the 2009 draft is headed for the bench.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/22/aaron-curry-is-headed-to-the-bench/

Curry has been demoted to the second team and rookie K.J. Wright (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6633/kj-wright) will take his place as a starting outside linebacker.

Ravens1991
09-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Kind of shocked to see this since he was the safest pick in the draft recently. Would he be better off if he swithced to a 34 team?

descendency
09-22-2011, 06:11 PM
His problem isn't talent though. It's just weird. He just doesn't make plays. I think he needs a real coach.

V.I.P
09-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Bust, Bust, Bust!!!

Caulibflower
09-22-2011, 06:13 PM
His problem isn't talent though. It's just weird. He just doesn't make plays. I think he needs a real coach.

This. Pete Carroll has added some talent to the Seahawks' roster, (Rice, Lynch, Leon Washington, Okung, Earl Thomas, etc) but I just don't buy into him as a real coach. This past draft was really questionable, too. I'm not going to say I wouldn't prefer they bring in Cowher or Gruden next year. Actually, Gruden in Seattle, drafting Luck, would be pretty dope.

BigBanger
09-22-2011, 06:14 PM
He was going to be bust if he turned into Lance Briggs. You don't take a LB who doesn't rush the QB in the top 5. You just don't. That draft had some awful choices in the top 10, especially the top 5 which is turing into a bunch of busts. They could have taken Eugene Monroe, Mark Sanchez, BJ Raji, Brian Orakpo ... you name it. All extremely talented players at more important positions. ******* morons.

#3 Tyson Jackson
#4 Aaron Curry
#6 Andre Smith
#7 DHB
#10 Michael Crabtree
#11 Aaron Maybin
#16 Larry English

EDIT: Jason Smith is also looking like a bust. Maybe a Rams fan can shed more light, but from I've seen he's looked terrible at times.

Raiderz4Life
09-22-2011, 06:16 PM
He was going to be bust if he turned into Lance Briggs. You don't take a LB who doesn't rush the QB in the top 5. You just don't. That draft had some awful choices in the top 10, especially the top 5 which is turing into a bunch of busts. They could have taken Eugene Monroe, Mark Sanchez, BJ Raji, Brian Orakpo ... you name it. All extremely talented players at more important positions. ******* morons.

#3 Tyson Jackson
#4 Aaron Curry
#6 Andre Smith
#7 DHB
#10 Michael Crabtree
#11 Aaron Maybin
#16 Larry English

Hindsight is 20/20 afterall.

I will agree with DHB and Maybin though

Go_Eagles77
09-22-2011, 06:17 PM
I'd still take him on the eagles any day.

JBCX
09-22-2011, 06:21 PM

It's not hindsight in this situation. It just isn't.

EVERYONE knew that Curry was a 4-3 LB that didn't have pass rushing skills. You simply DON'T take those guys in the top 10, let alone the top 5. The only defensive players worthy of being taken in the top 5 are those that showcase cover skills (all-around FS, elite cover CB) or showcase pass-rush skills (3-4 OLB, pass-rushing DT, 4-3 DE). This is a basic rule of thumb for smart general managers in the NFL.

As someone else said in this thread - even if he became a stud 4-3 OLB, he would still be a waste of a top 5 pick because those guys just don't have enough impact on the game to warrant being taken in the top 5. They just don't do enough to affect the passing game.

A Perfect Score
09-22-2011, 06:22 PM

#3 Tyson Jackson
#4 Aaron Curry
#6 Andre Smith
#7 DHB
#10 Michael Crabtree
#11 Aaron Maybin
#16 Larry English

EDIT: Jason Smith is also looking like a bust. Maybe a Rams fan can shed more light, but from I've seen he's looked terrible at times.

Whats even more alarming is that about 90% of this board knew Maybin and DHB would bust, and I'd say about 65% thought T-Jax was way overrated as well. There was a ton of Jason Smith love around these parts that year though.

fenikz
09-22-2011, 06:23 PM

He's looked terrible any time I've seen him play

Still shocking that Curry just hasn't panned out, one of the best LBs I've ever seen in college football

yo123
09-22-2011, 06:25 PM
It's not hindsight in this situation. It just isn't.

EVERYONE knew that Curry was a 4-3 LB that didn't have pass rushing skills. You simply DON'T take those guys in the top 10, let alone the top 5. The only defensive players worthy of being taken in the top 5 are those that showcase cover skills (all-around FS, elite cover CB) or showcase pass-rush skills (3-4 OLB, pass-rushing DT, 4-3 DE). This is a basic rule of thumb for smart general managers in the NFL.

As someone else said in this thread - even if he became a stud 4-3 OLB, he would still be a waste of a top 5 pick because those guys just don't have enough impact on the game to warrant being taken in the top 5. They just don't do enough to affect the passing game.

You wouldn't have taken Brian Urlacher, Patrick Willis, or Ray Lewis in the top 10 if those drafts were done again? All inside LB's who don't rush the passer. Some of you guys go overboard with the positional stuff.

asdf1223
09-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Someone on this board said James Farrior as a comp for him and I think thats the best case scenario. He's still got the same physical tools and is a hard worker on the field. Just that he has some of the worst instincts ever and routinely blows assignments. Would be much much better of as 3-4 Thumper role.

I still think he's a solid starter right now and since his salary is not guaranteed for next year teams would do well to steal him for cheap.

BigBanger
09-22-2011, 06:36 PM

I was a big detractor of Curry to begin with and I've always thought he was overrated. Him getting benched is surprising to me because I thought he was a solid first rounder, but he never made many impact plays. He was merely good. I said the Seahawks were making a mistake by passing on him. I thought they needed to drafted Sanchez.

Up until about a week or so before the draft, I did not think Curry would go in the top 5. I thought he would fall out of the 10. He simply didn't play a position of that kind of importance and didn't have the instincts and playmaking ability of a guy that would be worthy of that high of a selection. If I take a 43 OLB at #4 overall, I better be getting Derrick Brooks. Eventually I realized the hype of Curry at #4 and Tyson Jackson at #3 were locks, and going to be awful picks that both franchises regretted.

Curry is not going in the top 4. I think he goes five at the highest and thats due to a trade.

Are 34 ILB worth top 3 picks?

I didn't think so.

KC is going to have to pay someone. Tackles hold much more value than LBs do, especially LBs that can't rush the QB, so I don't understand the whole cost scenario you bring up.
Tyson Jackson, to this day, was the worst draft pick I have ever seen. Ever. I said it before it happened and I have no reason to ever back off those comments.

Andre Smith asked to be drafted in the 4th round with his "performance" at the Combine, but the Bungles just don't give a **** and took him anyway.

I knew Oakland was going to take a fast WR, not the best WR and that's what they did. Also one of the worst draft picks I ever seen. And their 2nd round pick probably topped the atrocious pick of DHB. I don't even remember his name, but he was a safety from Ohio.

Aaron Maybin? Please. Ahead of Orakpo and Matthews? Stop that. The guy weighed about 211 pounds and got pancaked every time someone ran the ball at him.

I was under the impression Larry English was a second round prospect... and I think SD traded up for him if I remember correctly.

Raiderz4Life
09-22-2011, 06:42 PM
I did say I agreed with you about DHB and Maybin fwiw.

Complex
09-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Mike Mitchell any good?

V.I.P
09-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Edit: oops, wrong thread

FUNBUNCHER
09-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Curry reminds me of AJ Hawk who underperformed his draft position, but later rounded into a very good LB, just not a guy who should have been taken in the top 5.

I think Curry would be a great fit inside in either a 3-4 or 4-3.

Don't forget Urlacher was drafted as an OLB by the Bears until Lovie decided to switch him to Mike.

nepg
09-22-2011, 06:55 PM
This. Pete Carroll has added some talent to the Seahawks' roster, (Rice, Lynch, Leon Washington, Okung, Earl Thomas, etc) but I just don't buy into him as a real coach. This past draft was really questionable, too. I'm not going to say I wouldn't prefer they bring in Cowher or Gruden next year. Actually, Gruden in Seattle, drafting Luck, would be pretty dope.
When's the last time Gruden succeeded in not destroying a young QB's development?

SickwithIt1010
09-22-2011, 07:08 PM
I'd still take him on the eagles any day.

Kafka for Aaron Curry and a 2nd!

Raiderz4Life
09-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Kafka for Aaron Curry and a 2nd!

I was gonna propose that trade!! Beat me to it lol

SickwithIt1010
09-22-2011, 07:29 PM
I was gonna propose that trade!! Beat me to it lol

The moment guys on NFL live started comparing Kafka to Kolb...I lol'd a litle bit.

Whos gonna bite on the Mike Kafka hype!? lol

bucfan12
09-22-2011, 07:30 PM
When's the last time Gruden succeeded in not destroying a young QB's development?

This. He had several opportunities to draft and develop a young QB. I remember back in 2003, he flipped on Rich McKay when he drafted Chris Simms in the 3rd round. They didn't get along and him and Bruce Allen ended up tearing down and destroying the Bucs franchise, which led to a rebuilding stage. Also, I'll forever be pissed he passed on Aaron Rodgers in 2005, when there were rumors Gruden loved him. He wouldn't take Andrew Luck with the 1st pick anyways. He has no patience for young QBs/

Complex
09-22-2011, 07:35 PM
If Kafka got traded to the seahawks its only right that McNabb signs with the 49er. The NFC West would have all of Andy Reids QBs.

Caulibflower
09-22-2011, 07:38 PM

Brought in Rich Gannon his second year with the Raiders and turned him into an instant Pro Bowler. Only young QB he had anything to do with in Oakland was Marques Tuiasosopo, and he only had him for a year after drafting him in the second, which tells you A) You have no idea how Tuiasosopo would've matured with Gruden and B) He wasn't working with a high draft pick anyways. Tui was drafted at the bottom of the second, which isn't exactly a hotspot for NFL starters.

In Tampa, another journeyman (Brad Johnson) makes the Pro Bowl for Gruden. Shaun King is around, but he wasn't an elite prospect and, again, you can't fault someone for not turning a 2nd-rounder into an elite NFL QB. Brad Johnson goes out, Brian Griese comes in and has a good season. Then it's the 3rd-rounder Chris Simms and Griese, both playing pretty average football. Chris Simms is looking like he might be something, in his second year, but then has his spleen explode, if I remember correctly, and never quite comes back. That's the year Bruce Gradkowski came in and made some noise as a rookie 6th-rounder. His last two years in Tampa were Jeff Garcia years, and yet another journeyman makes the Pro Bowl under Gruden.

So for young quarterbacks, you basically had Marques Tuiasosopo, who he never got a chance to work with, a 3rd-rounder who won some games and looked like he had some real potential before suffering a major injury, and a 6th-rounder who looked better than you expect a 6th-rounder to look (and by that, I mean he won a few games) when he had to come in and play out of necessity. And then there's the fact that three different aged quarterbacks had Pro Bowl seasons for him. So he obviously can get good seasons out of veteran players, and as for young players, I'm going to go ahead and just say your claim is pretty much totally baseless. He hasn't ruined anyone's development, unless you're trying to concoct some conspiracy theory about Chris Simms.

Caulibflower
09-22-2011, 07:39 PM
This. He had several opportunities to draft and develop a young QB. I remember back in 2003, he flipped on Rich McKay when he drafted Chris Simms in the 3rd round. They didn't get along and him and Bruce Allen ended up tearing down and destroying the Bucs franchise, which led to a rebuilding stage. Also, I'll forever be pissed he passed on Aaron Rodgers in 2005, when there were rumors Gruden loved him. He wouldn't take Andrew Luck with the 1st pick anyways. He has no patience for young QBs/

So passing on young QBs is the equivalent to destroying their development? Ok. You're right.

Breed
09-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Casey Matthews for Aaron Curry straight up!

Caulibflower
09-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Casey Matthews for Aaron Curry straight up!

How about Trent Cole?

Raiderz4Life
09-22-2011, 08:44 PM
If you make him a DE his rating will go from like 70 to like 85 lol

Breed
09-22-2011, 08:54 PM
If you make him a DE his rating will go from like 70 to like 85 lol

Trent Cole is a defensive end!

Caulibflower
09-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Trent Cole is a defensive end!

I'm sure he's talking about Aaron Curry. The game just thinks he's a really fast defensive end, and therefore a sack machine... a perfect example of why Madden sucks. They have too much emphasis on speed.

djp
09-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Okay, I gotta toot my own horn on this one. I almost never do it, but I nailed Aaron Curry being a bust. Got a whole plate full of **** for that one and took it at the time.

Caulibflower
09-22-2011, 09:11 PM
He just does't really play like he means it.

ShutDwn
09-22-2011, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't mind the panthers trading for him. Rivera could possibly do something with him plus Beason and Davis are done for the year. He could fill in strongside

LonghornsLegend
09-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Tyson Jackson, to this day, was the worst draft pick I have ever seen. Ever. I said it before it happened and I have no reason to ever back off those comments.

Andre Smith asked to be drafted in the 4th round with his "performance" at the Combine, but the Bungles just don't give a **** and took him anyway.

I knew Oakland was going to take a fast WR, not the best WR and that's what they did. Also one of the worst draft picks I ever seen. And their 2nd round pick probably topped the atrocious pick of DHB. I don't even remember his name, but he was a safety from Ohio.

Aaron Maybin? Please. Ahead of Orakpo and Matthews? Stop that. The guy weighed about 211 pounds and got pancaked every time someone ran the ball at him.

I was under the impression Larry English was a second round prospect... and I think SD traded up for him if I remember correctly.

So basically your never wrong about any prospects in the draft? Got it.

BeerBaron
09-22-2011, 09:36 PM
I'd like to see Curry get a change of scenery. I'd absolutely welcome him on the Bears for instance. Let him work next to Urlacher and Briggs for a while.

Or anywhere basically. I'm shocked that he hasn't at least become a top 4-3 LB, even if that doesn't make him worth such a high pick. He can just make tackles.

Saints-Tigers
09-22-2011, 09:38 PM
We'll take him in NO. Worth a shot, very talented.

I dunno what the deal is, he wasn't lacking in instincts in college.

Raiderz4Life
09-22-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm sure he's talking about Aaron Curry. The game just thinks he's a really fast defensive end, and therefore a sack machine... a perfect example of why Madden sucks. They have too much emphasis on speed.

Yea I was talking bout Curry. Used to do it all the time when my DEs started to regress haha

keylime_5
09-22-2011, 09:54 PM
the talent at the top of that draft was very questionable to begin with (big reason I remember why the Browns traded down and got Alex Mack), lots of busts in the top 20 picks....but Curry was supposed to be what Matthews or Cushing turned out to be. Supposedly so safe yet a totally average player. I wonder if he would've fit better as a 3-4 ILB like most thought he would.

gpngc
09-22-2011, 09:58 PM
This is why I nearly broke down in tears when we made the pick.

At least A.J. Hawk was a positive contributor that they stupidly took top-5.

Curry sucks.

bucfan12
09-22-2011, 10:57 PM
So passing on young QBs is the equivalent to destroying their development? Ok. You're right.

Your're right, but Gruden never had any patience to take the time to develop a young QB. He preferred "stop-gap" veterans and took them to 1-2 good years.

He's a terrible talent evaluator. Once McKay left Tampa and he took full control in drafting, he tore that organization and team down. Overpaid for old veterans past theere prime year in and year out. Let's face it. He's a better Offensive Coordinator/QB coach than a head coach.

bucfan12
09-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Anyways, I want to hear from Seahawks fans. How bad has Aaron Curry been to get benched? I remember everyone labeling him as a sure thing in and the safest pick in the 2009 draft.

Any possibility the Seahawks would make a trade?

Caulibflower
09-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Well, I am a Seahawks fan. He'd certainly be an upgrade over Jeremy Bates, and I don't think there'd be too much argument about that.

As for Curry... he's never really been terrible. He just... doesn't make big plays. He's a good tackler, but that's about it. Not a violent hitter, doesn't rush the passer very well, (Although he isn't TERRIBLE), doesn't come up in big moments. For a guy drafted #5 overall, you want to be hearing his name as your team is stopping teams on 4th down, and that's just not what is happening. It's kinda like... I mean, teams were talking about how he was such a "safe pick." That's still true. Thing is, people were also talking about how high his upside was (as in, "wasn't"). Draft him, you're guaranteed a starting linebacker from Day 1. Thing is, there just wasn't that much room for him to get better because of the things I mentioned. Those being, again: he's just not that violent of a hitter, so you don't see him just knocking runners and blockers back; doesn't really cause turnovers; doesn't get sacks; he doesn't surprise his opponents with his movement and disrupt plays. He's a pretty big body who is a pretty sure tackler, but he's just not sudden or intimidating. Teams don't have to game around him. He doesn't cause negative plays.

Caulibflower
09-22-2011, 11:48 PM
I daresay he's boring.

tjsunstein
09-22-2011, 11:51 PM
If Kafka got traded to the seahawks its only right that McNabb signs with the 49er. The NFC West would have all of Andy Reids QBs.

That would leave:
Seattle - Mike Kafka
Arizona - Kevin Kolb
San Fran - Donovan McNabb
St Louis - Sam Bradford?

That is the NFC West right or am I too high?

Complex
09-22-2011, 11:54 PM
That would leave:
Seattle - Mike Kafka
Arizona - Kevin Kolb
St Louis - Sam Bradford?

AJ Feely is the back-up in St Louis close enough.

Complex
09-22-2011, 11:55 PM
How do you think he would do a MLB in a 4-3? wouldn't mind him in Tennessee as a MLB.

PACKmanN
09-23-2011, 12:01 AM
How do you think he would do a MLB in a 4-3? wouldn't mind him in Tennessee as a MLB.

the requirements out of the WLB and MLB are the same. If he is unable to be a impact guy at WLB I dont see how he would at MLB

PoopSandwich
09-23-2011, 12:04 AM
the talent at the top of that draft was very questionable to begin with (big reason I remember why the Browns traded down and got Alex Mack), lots of busts in the top 20 picks....but Curry was supposed to be what Matthews or Cushing turned out to be. Supposedly so safe yet a totally average player. I wonder if he would've fit better as a 3-4 ILB like most thought he would.

The sad part about our trade was we ended up having 2 second rounders that year and both of those picks ended up being pathetic (or at least it looks like Robo is gonna blow.)

V.I.P
09-23-2011, 12:22 AM

You guys have Barrett Ruud....

keylime_5
09-23-2011, 12:50 AM
The sad part about our trade was we ended up having 2 second rounders that year and both of those picks ended up being pathetic (or at least it looks like Robo is gonna blow.)

yeah, which actually means we ended up with three second rounders that year. Veikune was terrible, Robiskie looks like he's bound to be a nothing, though Massaquoi has the looks of a good #3 receiver.

wogitalia
09-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Was such a beast in college, still can't believe he hasn't done anything in the NFL, though he is in the wasteland that is Seattle...

Add me to the group who doesn't get the Gruden and a QB thing. Maybe it's just that I only really recall him as the guy who traded/signed every washed up QB he could find instead of drafting a guy to develop but I just don't see him as a "coach em up" type of coach.

SickwithIt1010
09-23-2011, 01:11 AM
That would leave:
Seattle - Mike Kafka
Arizona - Kevin Kolb
St Louis - Sam Bradford?

They would still have all of them outside of Vick.

GaMeTiMe
09-23-2011, 02:14 AM

Funny thing about that is we all laughed at them for taking DHB over Crabtree
and the best WRs from the class are Maclin, Nicks and Britt.

Caulibflower
09-23-2011, 03:49 AM

Those guys guys went to much better situations.

wogitalia
09-23-2011, 05:22 AM

I laughed at them for taking him over all of them, especially Maclin, who was as fast and actually good at the football part as well!

BeerBaron
09-23-2011, 05:37 AM
I laughed at them for taking him over all of them, especially Maclin, who was as fast and actually good at the football part as well!

But not AS fast according to Al Davis.

MI_Buckeye
09-23-2011, 05:42 AM
Living in the Detroit area at the time, I swear to God he was the people's choice for the No. 1 overall pick ahead of Stafford. Can you imagine what a disaster the Lions would still be had they made that decision?

MI_Buckeye
09-23-2011, 05:44 AM

There times actually weren't that close. I believe DHB ran a 4.27, while Maclin ran in the mid 4.4s.

bigbluedefense
09-23-2011, 07:23 AM
I wasn't a huge Jason Smith fan, but I never thought he'd be as bad as he is right now.

To be fair, I was a big Andre Smith fan. So goes to show what I know.

cmarq83
09-23-2011, 08:35 AM

I'm still pissed over the Crabtree thing. If the guy wasn't such a punk and was willing to put a little time into his craft he'd be a top 10 receiver. His physical tools aren't elite, but coming out he just looked so fluid and strong it was unbelievable. He passed the eyeball test big-time. It's just so frustrating to see him skip training camp every year, and put in zero work within the offense to get acclimated to the playbook and the quarterback (as inconsistent as they both may be). I liked him more as a prospect than Dez Bryant, and I think if you replaced his head with a Wes Welker type mentality he could be even better than Bryant. He's one of those people with a natural knack for football that is being utterly wasted because he isn't willing to put in the tiny amount of work he needs to make it work.

A Perfect Score
09-23-2011, 08:45 AM
I wasn't a huge Jason Smith fan, but I never thought he'd be as bad as he is right now.

To be fair, I was a big Andre Smith fan. So goes to show what I know.

I absolutely hated Andre Smith. Everyone and their mothers should have known there was no way he was staying in shape in the NFL. I had Mike Oher rated as my #1 OT throughout that entire season and right up until the draft. Hooray me! He should have been the Bills pick at 11, but damn am I ever glad he slipped to the Ravens.

And the Raiders taking DHB at 7 is honestly one of the worst draft picks I've seen in any sport and any situation. He had NO business going that high and he had no business going over Crabtree whatsoever. It's alarming how wrong Al Davis can be on a consistent basis when there are 50 guys on this board alone who could run a team better.

BeerBaron
09-23-2011, 08:51 AM
I'm still pissed over the Crabtree thing. If the guy wasn't such a punk and was willing to put a little time into his craft he'd be a top 10 receiver. His physical tools aren't elite, but coming out he just looked so fluid and strong it was unbelievable. He passed the eyeball test big-time. It's just so frustrating to see him skip training camp every year, and put in zero work within the offense to get acclimated to the playbook and the quarterback (as inconsistent as they both may be). I liked him more as a prospect than Dez Bryant, and I think if you replaced his head with a Wes Welker type mentality he could be even better than Bryant. He's one of those people with a natural knack for football that is being utterly wasted because he isn't willing to put in the tiny amount of work he needs to make it work.

You just explained one of the biggest problems with a lot of failed prospects. Guys who, while not necessarily busts, just don't live up to their abilities.

A lot of it is from college football. The guys who are simply bigger/stronger/faster than everyone else don't need to work hard on the mental parts of the game since they can just beast all over lesser defenses with their god given talents. How many of those Big-12 (where defense is optional) defenders that Crabtree abused are in the NFL right now? Guys from Kansas, from Missouri, from Baylor? I'm willing to bet that the number is quite low.

But then when he gets to the pros, even the "average" starting NFL corners and safeties he faces were typically their college teams best players.

I find this to be one of the reasons why so many USC skill position players have failed. If you look at one of the few USC skill players to have success, Steve Smith, it's because he wasn't the biggest/strongest/fastest and had to actually learn how to run routes and exploit holes in defenses.

</rant>

bigbluedefense
09-23-2011, 09:17 AM
I absolutely hated Andre Smith. Everyone and their mothers should have known there was no way he was staying in shape in the NFL. I had Mike Oher rated as my #1 OT throughout that entire season and right up until the draft. Hooray me! He should have been the Bills pick at 11, but damn am I ever glad he slipped to the Ravens.

And the Raiders taking DHB at 7 is honestly one of the worst draft picks I've seen in any sport and any situation. He had NO business going that high and he had no business going over Crabtree whatsoever. It's alarming how wrong Al Davis can be on a consistent basis when there are 50 guys on this board alone who could run a team better.

I just loved his run blocking. I tend to prefer the bigger stronger LTs vs the smaller quicker ones. Just a personal preferance.

I should have seen it coming though. The red flags were there. I liked Oher, I liked Smith, Monroe and Oher.

I missed on Maclin and Harvin. I didn't think both would be as good as they are. I was very high on Nicks and Britt. I felt both would be the best WRs in this class. You can make an argument for both of them as being such too.

I liked Robiskie a lot too. He's been a dud.

Absolutely hated Aaron Maybin. I couldn't believe he was still being viewed as a 1st round pick after the combine. Never liked him at all, I wouldn't even consider him in the first 3 rounds. Loved Orakpo. Loved Matthews but I'd be lying to you if I thought he would be as good as he is. Loved Raji.

Was wrong on Freeman. I had my hits and misses. *shrug*

BeerBaron
09-23-2011, 09:23 AM
My crowning moment of draft right-ness was calling out Maybin.

I didn't have any strong feelings for or against any of the OTs that year, but I was shocked when the Lions didn't take Oher over Pettigrew.

bigbluedefense
09-23-2011, 09:30 AM

I didn't have any strong feelings for or against any of the OTs that year, but I was shocked when the Lions didn't take Oher over Pettigrew.

Same. He fell to their lap and they passed on him. I was shocked.

I'm a sad panda that Clint Sintim has been a dud. I liked him a lot coming out. He was probably miscast in a 4-3 to begin with, (although with Spags system he could have panned out as a Joker which is why we drafted him to begin with), but now with 2 ACLs...it's over.

Ramses Barden's paper mache body is disappointing as well.

killxswitch
09-23-2011, 09:58 AM

To be fair Oher is a pretty big disappointment, at least to me. I thought he'd be a stud LT in the NFL. Not a bust. He looks like he'll be a good RT. But really that whole LT class has not lived up to expectations.

BeerBaron
09-23-2011, 10:01 AM
To be fair Oher is a pretty big disappointment, at least to me. I thought he'd be a stud LT in the NFL. Not a bust. He looks like he'll be a good RT. But really that whole LT class has not lived up to expectations.

He probably would have gotten at least one hand on Peppers last year on the hit that took out Stafford...

And while they haven't given up a sack yet this year, Backus has allowed some pretty brutal hits on Stafford just as he throws. I think he's going to end up getting him hurt again.

Giantsfan1080
09-23-2011, 10:10 AM
What's been the consensus on Monroe while we're talking about the LT class?

TheMorningZoo
09-23-2011, 10:12 AM
I would welcome him to San Diego. The fact we have not had a solid Linebacking core in a few years, we could use the help. Jonas Mouton who was taken in the 2nd is out on IR for the year, Donald Butler is essentially in his "rookie" year since HE was on IR all last year, and we have Takeo Spikes who I love but won't be around much longer. The only player who is set in his role is Shaun Philips on the outside. I think Curry needs a change of scenery, and he seems like an average player right now. Who knows? We had Kevin Burnett who seemed like an outcast in Dallas and turned it around. He had lower expectations however since he was taken in the bottom of the second.

ElectricEye
09-23-2011, 11:06 AM
If we're talking about disappointments, I liked Andre Smith a lot as well. I've never seen a tackle make as big of an impact on the college game as Smith did. Just dominated the line of scrimmage both as a pass blocker and a run blocker...but then that whole thing happened at the combine. I thought the Bengals would get at least a very good player who had some issues, but motivation and weight has really killed him. I really think he could be better than he is if he wanted to be. I just don't think he has the desire to turn it around at this point.

I never bought into Jason Smith. I saw a very average blocker with great tools who got overyhyped based on potential and workout numbers.

DHB was a guy I was flat out wrong on so far. I was infatuated with his height/weight/speed combination, something that I frequently got carried away with as far as receivers go. Sometimes that works out(See Denarius Moore), sometimes it doesn't. I thought he went WAY too high though. With how raw he was, I thought he would go somewhere outside the top fifteen to the end of the first round simply because the risk of him never developing into anything more than a deep threat was too great. He hasn't even been able to do that so far. I still think there's some hope for him, he's just 24....but it's pretty clear he's never going to live up to his billing coming out.

As far as Curry goes, I was pretty lukewarm on him. You really couldn't beat his set of tools, but I had trouble buying into him as an impact player. With everyone and their brother saying he was going to be a Ray Lewis type player, I sort of bought into the hype for a bit...but he clearly has come around yet. He's still an elite athlete, but being pushed to the bench probably doesn't bode well for him. I wouldn't mind bringing him into New England to see if we can fix him. We're always in need of more front seven players.

Splat
09-23-2011, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't give up on Curry all together. It took Derrick Johnson a good four years for the light to come on.

FUNBUNCHER
09-23-2011, 11:19 AM

Aaron Curry is still a starting caliber LB in the NFL, but he was drafted and PAID to be a playmaking pro-bowler edge rusher so in that sense he's a huge disappointment.

He's not a natural pass rusher, but I think if you want someone with range and speed to make a ton of tackles in the middle of your D, Curry still has huge upside.

Urlacher demonstrated in a week of TC for the Bears he wasn't really good at rushing the passer off the edge as an OLB, but as a pure LB prospect he still was a stud.
When Marty Schottenheimer coached the Skins for one season, he flirted with the idea of putting Lavar Arrington at Mike because he was a poor pass rusher but had elite attributes for a MLB.

The Giants/Eagles and several 34 teams IMO would see Aaron Curry as an upgrade over the players they currently have playing ILB/Mike.

He may not get a 1st round pick for Carroll, but I could easily see teams trading a 2nd for him.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-23-2011, 11:55 AM
What happened to Crabtree? I totally forgot about that guy? Is he hurt a lot or just plain stinks?

bucfan12
09-23-2011, 12:18 PM
There were a ton of questionable picks in the 2009 draft. It was supposed to be dominated by o-lineman. I don't know if any of them panned out, except maybe Eugene Monroe in Jacksonville. Jason Smith has been a bust. Andre Smith, still shaking my head on that pick.

I never liked Crabtree as a prospect. I always thought he was a product of the 5 wr system at Texas Tech. Maybe it's the QB play in San Fransisco, who knows.

Aaron Curry was a guy I liked coming out. I still think he can be a Derrick Johnson and have a good career. Maybe the light hasn't come on yet, but he was one guy I thought would be a sure thing.

Still don't think Seattle would have been better off with Mark Sanchez either. Sanchez, in my opinion, is successful due to the team he's on. The defense and running game and offensive line are legit top 5-7 in the league in every category since he's arrived. I don't know if he could thrive in a bad situation like most top QBs when they get drafted.

bigbluedefense
09-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Crabtree's problem isn't talent. It's attitude. He can still turn it around, but he's the type that quits when the going gets tough.

Rosebud
09-23-2011, 12:44 PM
The thing with Jason Smith that really sold me was his attitude. Dude worked hard in college and played with a mean streak despite his slighter size and pass heavy offense. I thought that that work ethic, mean streak and potential were destined to coalesce one day.

WMD
09-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Living in the Detroit area at the time, I swear to God he was the people's choice for the No. 1 overall pick ahead of Stafford. Can you imagine what a disaster the Lions would still be had they made that decision?
Yeah, the majority of fans didn't want anything to do with Stafford. They wanted Jason Smith or Aaron Curry.

bKB4_7LZrjs

That's from the event where we debuted our new logo and jerseys and such.

6T35c8UyPD8

Lions draft party that year.

But I think most of us smart Lions fans here wanted Stafford.

cmarq83
09-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Crabtree's problem isn't talent. It's attitude. He can still turn it around, but he's the type that quits when the going gets tough.

Crabtree needs a wake up call and a change of scenery. If he was released and signed in *(homer disclaimer)* New England he would get buried on the depth chart, and would either have to buy into the culture and work ethic of the team or would never play. If he was out of the spotlight he'd realize how much he misses it. In San Francisco he's the best that they have whether he puts in any work or not, so he plays despite his indifference. He's always going to be good enough to be a number 2 receiver because the sport comes naturally to him, but he'll never reach his potential if he doesn't change.

I still love his hands, strength, and short area quickness though.

Raiderz4Life
09-23-2011, 01:05 PM
I always liked Crabtree...wanted him on the Raiders. Then I got bitter and held hard feelings when he said he didn't wanna come to Oakland.

I'm still a bitter Raiders fan. haha

BeerBaron
09-23-2011, 01:10 PM
I don't think having a coach like Singletary helped Crabtree out either. I can't imagine two more conflicting types of personalities like that. Sing preaches maximum effort and is a fiery leader, while Crabtree gets by with minimum effort.

Having Sing there yelling at him probably only caused Crabtree to become more entrenched as a guy who doesn't want to work hard. He was the first round pick and no matter how much he may have pissed Sing off, there was nothing he could do.

I also don't think going somewhere that he'd be "buried on the depth chart" would be good for him either. I think at that point he'd just stop trying completely and fade away.

bigbluedefense
09-23-2011, 01:12 PM
If his work ethic is truly that bad, then he'd be a bust no matter where he went.

You can't teach desire. If it's not there, I don't care how gifted you are, you're going to be a bust.

vidae
09-23-2011, 01:13 PM
These guys are so stupid. You get to play FOOTBALL FOR A LIVING. I don't care what excuses you want to make for some of these guys, they're just pathetic.

FUNBUNCHER
09-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Some of these guys have been grinding so hard from HS through college to make it the NFL that I think some of them once they get drafted experience burn-out.

Of course some just aren't driven to be great, but subconsciously I think it's a huge adjustment for some guys who are expecting to exhale once they get to the NFL, then discover they're going to have to work even HARDER just to stick on a roster in the pros.

bigbluedefense
09-23-2011, 01:24 PM
While we all like to believe that these guys love the game as much as we do, the simple truth is, that is not the case.

A lot of these guys don't care about football at all. They just played it to get out of poverty. It was their best chance to escape poverty. When you bust your hump to get paid some of these guys just give up bc they finally made it. They don't have the desire to be great bc they don't love the game.

gpngc
09-23-2011, 01:28 PM
How has Crabtree's problems been because of attitude? All he ever does is rehab, rehab, rehab to get back on the field and play through the pain...

I think Crabtree's issues have been a mix of:

A) Painful recurring foot problems since the DRAFT (how has his attitude been mentioned before this????)

B) His ****** offense

He actually wasn't that bad last year and led SF WRs in everything... with bad QB play and a ******** offense.

I think it's fair to say that he would have been better with Hasselbeck in Seattle - no way of knowing if the foot would still be an issue.

ElectricEye
09-23-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure where I sit on Crabtree and work ethic. At Texas Tech, he always seems like one of the hardest working guys on the field. Coming out, I wouldn't have pegged him as a desire guy at all...but there were some reports of teams not liking his "diva" attitude coming out either. I still think it's too early to tell with him, to be honest. Let's wait and see what he does with a better quarterback, an actual coach, and with a clean bill of health. Vernon Davis was pegged as a bust in SanFran before a few years ago as well, so let's give the guy a little more time.

gpngc
09-23-2011, 01:35 PM
You guys just somehow created a rumor that a guy who has had recurring surgically-repaired foot issues lacks work ethic and the desire to be great because...

... that same foot has kept him out of numerous TCs and games, partially because he tries to play through the pain before it's fully healed?

There has been nothing about his lack of work ethic besides:

A) Missing TCs with a painful surgically-repaired foot (yea, you would ALL be LOVING two-a-days with that)

and

B) When he was in cast on that same foot and didn't do any draft prep (because he physically couldn't........) and the media ran stories about how he'd order pizza and play video games (again... in a cast/not able to do ****).

EDIT: And attacking his attitude because his body language sucks when his teams and QBs sucks is unfair. Sure, he's a little divaish and babyish and not the greatest teammate in the world to Alex Smith. But his heart is definitely in the right place - he wants to win, to be successful. And I think most would agree that he's been absolutely RIGHT with his reservations about his past coaches and QBs (they all ******* suck). Is acting out on camera the right way to handle that? No. But his antics shouldn't be a knock on his attitude that would somehow make him detrimental to his team. He just wishes his team was good.

And his career #s are actually pretty ******* impressive when you consider all he's dealt with. That's not BMW (pre-revival) or Reggie Williams stuff.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12563/michael-crabtree

Raiderz4Life
09-23-2011, 01:36 PM
My ass the foot kept him out. Crying bout his shoe and then putting Smith on blast when he was trying to organize the team. If that doesn't spell out DIVA to you nothing will.

gpngc
09-23-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure where I sit on Crabtree and work ethic. At Texas Tech, he always seems like one of the hardest working guys on the field. Coming out, I wouldn't have pegged him as a desire guy at all...but there were some reports of teams not liking his "diva" attitude coming out either. I still think it's too early to tell with him, to be honest. Let's wait and see what he does with a better quarterback, an actual coach, and with a clean bill of health. Vernon Davis was pegged as a bust in SanFran before a few years ago as well, so let's give the guy a little more time.

Based on what he's done to ALWAYS get back on the field, considering his injuries and terrible situation, I don't know how you could question his work ethic.

He might not be the hardest working guy ever, but if he truly just didn't love the game, didn't want to win, didn't care, he definitely wouldn't put in the work to always get back on the field, deal with multiple surgeries, and show frustration when the team sucks.

gpngc
09-23-2011, 01:43 PM
My ass the foot kept him out. Crying bout his shoe and then putting Smith on blast when he was trying to organize the team. If that doesn't spell out DIVA to you nothing will.

Yes, you are right. His foot is fine, he's just making it up.

And putting Smith on blast isn't the right way to go about it - but is he wrong?

He's definitely a diva - but like TO, Moss, etc., being a diva is not mutually exclusive from having work ethic.

Raiderz4Life
09-23-2011, 01:51 PM

And putting Smith on blast isn't the right way to go about it - but is he wrong?

He's definitely a diva - but like TO, Moss, etc., being a diva is not mutually exclusive from having work ethic.

TO and Moss are future HoF receivers. Crabtree?? Not even a top 15.

He's not wrong about Smith but you don't put your QB on blast...especially when he's trying to rally the troops.

Rosebud
09-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Crabtree seems like he's just content playing profootball and honestly he's good enough to warrant being on the field without putting in the work to become great in the offseason. You never whether something will click in that skull of his that makes him suddenly put in the work, put winning solves a lot of problems so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a completely different Crabtree if he were playing on a playoff team.

gpngc
09-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Crabtree seems like he's just content playing profootball and honestly he's good enough to warrant being on the field without putting in the work to become great in the offseason. You never whether something will click in that skull of his that makes him suddenly put in the work, put winning solves a lot of problems so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a completely different Crabtree if he were playing on a playoff team.

You are basing this judgment on the fact that he misses TCs because of pain in his surgically-repaired foot.

Something the 49ers doctors and coaches have never questioned.

BigBanger
09-24-2011, 02:11 AM
CQvFO9OEeDs
Skip to 30 seconds or so in the video.

"I don't wanna say nothing but I dreamed it the same way."

"NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!"

"I dreamed it in my head..."

Such a moron. It's unfortunate he's such a terrible teammate and doesn't give a **** about anyone but himself, because he could probably be one of the best #2 WR in the NFL.

I also love his reaction on draft day. He was so pissed he wasn't drafted in the top 5 and really pissed Oakland passed on him. All he was thinking about was dollar signs going out the door. He's such a ******* scumbag.

Complex
09-24-2011, 02:32 AM
CQvFO9OEeDs
Skip to 30 seconds or so in the video.

"I don't wanna say nothing but I dreamed it the same way."

"NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!"

"I dreamed it in my head..."

Such a moron. It's unfortunate he's such a terrible teammate and doesn't give a **** about anyone but himself, because he could probably be one of the best #2 WR in the NFL.

I also love his reaction on draft day. He was so pissed he wasn't drafted in the top 5 and really pissed Oakland passed on him. All he was thinking about was dollar signs going out the door. He's such a ******* scumbag.

He was actually happy Oakland passed on him.Somebody on this forum has a pic of him laughing when Oakland selected DHB.

Ness
09-24-2011, 02:47 AM

You should never throw your teammates under the bus. Especially the guy throwing you the ball. That isn't going to solve anything. Just ask Terrell Owens.

Ness
09-24-2011, 02:50 AM
If his work ethic is truly that bad, then he'd be a bust no matter where he went.

You can't teach desire. If it's not there, I don't care how gifted you are, you're going to be a bust.
Yes this is the unfortunate truth. Josh Morgan seems to have a better attitude about his job from everything that has been speculated. I think Crabtree's tenure in San Francisco is really in jeopardy due to his health issues and his perceived primma donna attitude, which isn't helping his cause. I'm really starting to wish we had traded down and selected Hakeem Nicks.

asdf1223
09-24-2011, 02:57 AM
He was actually happy Oakland passed on him.Somebody on this forum has a pic of him laughing when Oakland selected DHB.

http://i42.tinypic.com/15wma90.jpg

XxXdragonXxX
09-24-2011, 03:40 AM
Chris Spencer
Kelly Jennings
Josh Wilson
Lawrence Jackson
Aaron Curry

Those were Tim Ruskell's top draft picks for the Seahawks. Curry is the last one left on the team, and now he's benched for a rookie 4th round pick. Thanks Timmeh!

BigBanger
09-24-2011, 05:41 AM

That was fake to me. He wanted to go to Oakland because they picked 7th and that meant more money. That's all he cared about, which is why he held out and demanded that he got paid like the first WR drafted ... despite not being the first WR drafted. I think he felt insulted and tried to humiliate Oakland on TV by "laughing" about it. It wasn't a chuckle or Brady Quinn just shaking his head. It was him "getting back," if you will, for embarrassing him. He felt slighted and disrespected because he felt entitled to be called the best WR in the draft. That was one of the most arrogant acts ever caught on tape during the draft. I am shocked that I ever kept him in the first round with how much I hated who he was.

J-Mike88
09-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Curry was a guy who just got overhyped..... happens every year with a handful of players. Some who rise to top 5, top 10, first round, second, thrird, etc.

Other overhyped players I can recall pre-drafts, that I've never seen do anything:

-Ramses Barden
-Jarron Gilbert
-Josh Johnson
-Bruce Campbell (My Alzheimers is getting to me.... is that the dude's name, the OT who the Raiders took who looked like Black Hercules and tested like a machine at the combine)

Splat
09-24-2011, 09:57 AM
I thought everyone laughed when the Raiders took DHB that high?

Dallas357
09-24-2011, 11:02 AM
What's been the consensus on Monroe while we're talking about the LT class?

He has been solid. But nothing elite I don't think.

Unbiased
09-24-2011, 11:12 AM
He has been solid. But nothing elite I don't think.

Strange first post, lol, but you're right. Eugene still has a lot to improve considering he has elite potential but he's a solid starter right now.

WMD
09-24-2011, 11:14 AM
I certainly did.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Aaron Curry going top 5 was one of the worst picks of that draft when it was made. Now that he's not even a mediocre player, it's one of the worst picks of the decade

ChiFan24
09-24-2011, 01:25 PM
There were Browns fans that thought he'd be a good 3-4 OLB, too, and advocated picking him as such just because he was such an "elite" talent. Some people say some stupid **** on this board......

FWIW, I though Seattle should have taken Mark Sanchez. My final mock had them taking Aaron Curry, and I labeled it as an awful, awful pick before it even happened.

gpngc
09-24-2011, 02:39 PM
The only thing is that passing on Sanchez allowed us to suck for Luck this season.

The mistake may have actually helped us (if Luck or Barkley turns out to be special and gets us going in the right direction).

shylo3716
09-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Ship him to the 215 & I would glady give you a year supply!

http://s1.proxy03.twitpic.com/photos/large/397453039.jpg

Caulibflower
09-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Only had 1 tackle today, and hardly seemed to be on the field. Interestingly, the defense actually played really well. It's Seattle's offense that's an insult to the sport.

Breed
09-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Seattle benches Curry and they finally win a game. He was the problem!

mqtirishfan
09-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Don't forget Urlacher was drafted as an OLB by the Bears until Lovie decided to switch him to Mike.

Well that's just not true.

Giantsfan1080
09-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Rich Smith Twitter.

Seattle Seahawks place LB Aaron Curry on trading block, sources report 5 teams in contact. Eagles, Cardinals, Giants, Panthers and Chiefs.

Raiderz4Life
09-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Would like the Raiders to try and get him. Put him in for Groves.

tjsunstein
09-26-2011, 06:44 PM
He could revive his career if he went to Philly.

FUNBUNCHER
09-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Well that's just not true.

Show me anywhere prior to the 1999(?) draft where Urlacher was listed as an ILB prospect??

Top two OLB prospects that year were Lavar Arrington and Urlacher. He simply was not drafted to play inside. That position switch happened in Bears camp.
I remember reading how much difficulty Urlacher had performing at outside 'backer for the Bears.

If you remember differently or can show a link to an article, I'd like to see it.

keylime_5
09-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Urlacher was that safety/OLB hybrid in college and was thought to be a SLB in the NFL and that's where he started in Chicago. I remember they put him at MLB and there was no looking back - but Lovie Smith wasn't in Chicago when that happened. That was way back in his rookie year when they had Jauron.

ShutDwn
09-26-2011, 07:01 PM
I don't know if he can be fixed, but maybe coming back to Carolina will help him out. We really need some linebacker help with Davis and Beason gone so I'm all for an experiment with Curry.

diesel
09-26-2011, 07:03 PM

These two certainly did, the guy on the left is priceless.

http://i54.tinypic.com/mr2wox.jpg

tjsunstein
09-26-2011, 07:05 PM
I'm starting to laugh at the Niners for taking Crabtree that high...

diabsoule
09-27-2011, 02:28 PM
BREAKING NFL UPDATE - Source reports the Seattle Seahawks highest offer for LB Aaron Curry was a 6th rd draft pick.

A Perfect Score
09-27-2011, 02:39 PM
BREAKING NFL UPDATE - Source reports the Seattle Seahawks highest offer for LB Aaron Curry was a 6th rd draft pick.

Now there's some excellent ROI.

Rabscuttle
09-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Now there's some excellent ROI.

You get used to it......

(Balmer, Mays, Cra...)

PACKmanN
09-27-2011, 04:51 PM
That was fake to me. He wanted to go to Oakland because they picked 7th and that meant more money. That's all he cared about, which is why he held out and demanded that he got paid like the first WR drafted ... despite not being the first WR drafted. I think he felt insulted and tried to humiliate Oakland on TV by "laughing" about it. It wasn't a chuckle or Brady Quinn just shaking his head. It was him "getting back," if you will, for embarrassing him. He felt slighted and disrespected because he felt entitled to be called the best WR in the draft. That was one of the most arrogant acts ever caught on tape during the draft. I am shocked that I ever kept him in the first round with how much I hated who he was.

I think Vernon Davis did something too when the Packers selected AJ Hawk

BeerBaron
09-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Only a 6th?? Seriously? I'd go as high as a 4th to get him into Chicago as our 3rd LB.

And do you know who should be all over this? Philly. Curry >>>> Casey Matthews

FUNBUNCHER
09-27-2011, 05:18 PM
A 6th rounder doesn't sound right to me. He's young, healthy, a stud athlete but just not a pro bowl caliber OLB.

I think he has big upside playing in the middle, regardless of scheme.
I'd give a 3rd/4th for him, easy.

shylo3716
09-27-2011, 05:31 PM
I have not been able to see NFL Live due to my work schedule, but is there coverage all over this with him being on the block as of lately?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-27-2011, 07:47 PM
What happened to this?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawksblog/2016215157_aaron_currys_pr.html

Go_Eagles77
09-27-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm pissed at the eagles for not pulling the trigger on this already.

LonghornsLegend
09-27-2011, 11:08 PM
I absolutely hated Andre Smith. Everyone and their mothers should have known there was no way he was staying in shape in the NFL.

Just like Terrance Cody right? No way he stays in shape in the NFL, everyone should have known that. The same guy who dropped his weight to 335 pounds from 400 at one point, and is on the field more then any other Ravens defenders some games.

Whys it different for him?

Andre Smith was a beast, and at the least looked like a mauling RT for years to come, his film was better then any other LT coming out. Injuries didn't help, and motivating a player isn't something that happens often in Cincy. Still, it's not like it was some big wide conception that he was fat and lazy and it would never change. Wasn't even close to how people said Cody would be.

I'm not even talking draft stock, just how they were perceived in terms of staying in shape.

Mike Wallace says hi. All he's doing is racking up 100 yard games but I guess he won't get noticed until he leads the league in receiving yards this season.

Those guys guys went to much better situations.

Yea, because Denarius Moore sure is showing how hard it is to be a WR in Oakland. Poor DHB. Or maybe it was because those other guys could actually catch a football and he couldn't?

Raiderz4Life
09-28-2011, 12:15 AM
DHB imo is like a Troy Williamson clone...with slightly better hands. SLIGHTLY

Rosebud
09-28-2011, 12:35 AM
How is Curry's coverage? With the giants being interested I wonder if they think he could take over at SAM and then slide over to play net to boley in the nickel, provided we don't just let Williams keep running with that job. So his cover skills would be really important.

diabsoule
09-28-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm pissed at the Saints for not taking a run at Curry. We need tremendous help at OLB and Curry would be great next to Vilma

gpngc
09-28-2011, 11:42 AM
How is Curry's coverage? With the giants being interested I wonder if they think he could take over at SAM and then slide over to play net to boley in the nickel, provided we don't just let Williams keep running with that job. So his cover skills would be really important.

THIS THREAD IS A JOKE.

THE REASON HE IS ON THE TRADING BLOCK IS BECAUSE HE ******* SUCKS. HE'S AN AVERAGE NFL ATHLETE WITH 0000000000000000000000 INSTINCTS, TERRIBLE COVERAGE, AND POOR TACKLING. HE'S HAD ABOUT 3 GOOD GAMES OVER HIS CAREER AND IS CONSTANTLY TRAILING TE'S IN COVERAGE OR GETTING PUSHED BACK ON ICE SKATES IN THE RUNNING GAME.

STOP SAYING "I WISH MY TEAM WOULD MAKE A PLAY" OR "IS HE GOOD AT ____?" IF HE WAS, WHY THE HELL WOULD HE BE ON THE BLOCK. HE ******* SUCKS. YOU DON'T WANT HIM.

Splat
09-28-2011, 11:43 AM
People know his name he has to be good...

gpngc
09-28-2011, 11:45 AM
If one team is choosing to play K.J. Wright and LeRoy Hill over him, why would anyone be surprised his trade value is a 6th? He never performs, lol. He's JAG at BEST.

Saints-Tigers
09-28-2011, 12:07 PM
JAG>>> Shanle and Herring, by a substantial amount.

He's still a premium athlete at LB, it's not rare for the switch to flip on for a LB.

Splat
09-28-2011, 12:08 PM
If one team is choosing to play K.J. Wright and LeRoy Hill over him, why would anyone be surprised his trade value is a 6th? He never performs, lol. He's JAG at BEST.

But but top five draft pick OMGZZZZ...

Go_Eagles77
09-28-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm pissed at the Saints for not taking a run at Curry. We need tremendous help at OLB and Curry would be great next to Vilma

Has Martez Wilson really been that bad, or is he injured?

Caulibflower
09-28-2011, 12:23 PM

....ooooooOOOOOOOON PAPERRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

You can have him. He really does suck. I've never seen him make a big play. Sometimes he's close to the play, but he's always the guy slapping someone else on the back and jumping around. Always looks just a little out of place.

Ness
09-28-2011, 12:28 PM
http://americanfootballphotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Aaron-Curry.jpg

Saints-Tigers
09-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Has Martez Wilson really been that bad, or is he injured?

He got hurt. Looked good when he played, but his snap count is limited.

On second thought, no point trading for Curry, even if he's a pro bowler, they will start Shanle over him.

VAfy-ya
09-28-2011, 03:19 PM

You seem to know alot about Crabs for a Raider fan....but not as much as you think. He called out Smith? No. Reporter asked him about working out with Alex Smith, since he would be the starting QB. Crabs ask the the reporter, rhetorically, as to why he assumed Alex was the starting QB. Which was a valid statement because no one knew who the starter would be heading into the season. Harbaugh insisted from day 1 that there would be competition and that they would bring in other QBs. And if we would have landed Hass, he would have been correct because it would have been Hass starting and not Smith. I don't see that as calling out Alex, just telling it how it is.

And him crying about his foot was because he ACTUALLY broke his foot. It happened the first day of the player organized camp and he eventually had to have surgrey on it, which kept him out the entire TC and pre-season.

gpngc had it correct in his post, as several factors have led to why he hasn't quite had the impact he has was pegged to. He had a good rookie year, subpar sophmore year so I think the jury is still out on that whole 'bust' label. The attitude issues stem from his holdout as a rookie and his unwillingness to be acessible to the media in the bay area. Most Niner fans loathe him because they dont believe he wanted to be a Niner from the start, i.e his holdout

lowlife
09-28-2011, 03:57 PM
If someone actually trades a 3rd/4th for him (like posters have proposed), I'll laugh and laugh hard. Highly talented, proven players barely get 3rd round picks these days.

TheMorningZoo
09-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Like I said earlier, I would trade for him (Chargers). We have an up and comer in Donald Butler, and our FA acquisition of Takeo Spikes is paying off BIG TIME! Spikes is leading our D and is a good leader, so maybe his play/mentoring could get Curry somewhere...Who knows? I always feel that some players are doomed from the get-go, bad scenarios they land in. I never felt that way about the Seahawks, but under Petey doesn't Curry (or maybe DID Curry) play the "Elephant"? Apparently he isn't known for his pass rush repertoire, so a move inside might help him out. All I can see is the guy was really talented and a "solid/safe" player in college-worth a 4th rounder IMO. Still young, too early to give up on him-new team might be best for him

bantx
09-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Yes Takeo is making Butler into a stud I wouldn't mind the Curry pick up, but he isn't a top need only if he comes really cheap.

Unbiased
09-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Why are people here saying a 6th round pick is low for Curry? He sucks and he has a ridiculous contract, right?

BeerBaron
09-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Why are people here saying a 6th round pick is low for Curry? He sucks and he has a ridiculous contract, right?

It was restructured prior to the season:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/24/pete-carroll-downplays-aaron-curry-contract-revision/

Splat
09-29-2011, 03:41 PM

He's good on Madden.

WT01
09-29-2011, 05:01 PM
It was restructured prior to the season:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/24/pete-carroll-downplays-aaron-curry-contract-revision/

The restructure didn't touch his guaranteed money for this year, however. I'm not sure how much he was due to make this season and can't find it anywhere, but according to the Seattle Times' beat writer, it's still a lot. A team may still take a bite on him since he's making zero in guaranteed money next season, however.

FUNBUNCHER
09-29-2011, 05:48 PM

Because he doesn't suck. He was drafted too high and Curry isn't an OLB in the NFL.
"Hawks fans act like they've been a bum squad the last three years because of Curry.

If he'd been taken at pick 25 or lower, the Seahawks coaching staff would be slobbering all over him.

IMO Curry is still a good football player and a starter in the NFL. Put him in the middle and let him read the action in front of him.

Same crap that was said about AJ Hawk; overrated and can't play, the Packers should cut him. But AJ each season kept improving until he's one of their cogs at LB.

I bet the Seahawks thought they were drafting a young James Harrison. He's not. But if he can handle the responsibilities and play calls in the middle, there are several teams who could use a 6'2, 250# LB w/ 4.5 speed.

Curry made more plays last season than Rolando McClain and I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle gets a high pick for him in a trade.

If a team takes a LB with the 4th pick, they're expecting an All-Pro, especially since Curry is being paid like one.
But let's not act like this is another Vernon Gholston situation.

Caulibflower
09-29-2011, 06:09 PM
I could very well be that the staff just thinks he's playing so far below his pay scale that they'd rather use their other players and get rid of him. Could be he's a huge cap hit but just a decent player. I don't know his contract numbers.

gpngc
09-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Because he doesn't suck. He was drafted too high and Curry isn't an OLB in the NFL.
"Hawks fans act like they've been a bum squad the last three years because of Curry.

If he'd been taken at pick 25 or lower, the Seahawks coaching staff would be slobbering all over him.

IMO Curry is still a good football player and a starter in the NFL. Put him in the middle and let him read the action in front of him.

Same crap that was said about AJ Hawk; overrated and can't play, the Packers should cut him. But AJ each season kept improving until he's one of their cogs at LB.

I bet the Seahawks thought they were drafting a young James Harrison. He's not. But if he can handle the responsibilities and play calls in the middle, there are several teams who could use a 6'2, 250# LB w/ 4.5 speed.

Curry made more plays last season than Rolando McClain and I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle gets a high pick for him in a trade.

If a team takes a LB with the 4th pick, they're expecting an All-Pro, especially since Curry is being paid like one.
But let's not act like this is another Vernon Gholston situation.

Yes. He's on the bench because he was drafted 4th and sucks. If he was drafted 25th and sucked, the coaching staff would think, "gee, let's keep him out there. We have a better chance to win with him out there because of his draft position."

It's fine to have your opinion. Just know that your opinion of him as a starter isn't the same as his coaching staff - professionals who see him in practice and on film every single day. They instead choose to play K.J. Wright over him.

There are a bunch of athletes who provide that mix of athleticism. But they lack instincts and block-shedding ability and thus cannot play MLB. And would you look at that - Curry has awful instincts and cannot shed blocks (or cover)!

This is another Vernon Gholston situation. It just doesn't get as much attention because it's Seattle, and the #s aren't as bad. But when you watch him play, all he does is trail the play - run or pass. He ******* sucks.

He's an average athlete with terrible, TERRIBLE instincts and anticipation skills. A.J. Hawk is an average athlete with good instincts.

prock
09-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Coaches are always right though. Always.

Caulibflower
09-29-2011, 06:41 PM
...when you watch him play, all he does is trail the play - run or pass. He ******* sucks.

He's an average athlete with terrible, TERRIBLE instincts and anticipation skills. A.J. Hawk is an average athlete with good instincts.

He's always chasing the action. Never surprises anyone.

gpngc
09-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Coaches are always right though. Always.

Are they wrong? Are you taking a stance in this argument? No, you're just being annoying.

The coaches aren't wrong for benching Curry. And it paid dividends in the win versus Arizona.

Coaches aren't always right, but after watching this guy struggle for 3+ years, as someone who watches every game, I absolutely agree with their decision to bench the guy.

Are you against it? Or are you just pointing out the possibility that they are wrong to be a dick?

FUNBUNCHER
09-29-2011, 06:48 PM
You can't say this is a Vernon Ghoston situation if you're being honest or objective.
When a franchise puts as poor a product on the field like the Seahawks, I'm always going to question their player personnel decisions.

I only saw a handful of Seahawks games last season, but whenever I focused on Curry he wasn't out there embarrassing himself.

Aaron Curry was taken 4th by the same coaching staff/FO I'm suddenly supposed to believe is right in trying to trade/cut Curry this season?

Sorry but dumb once IMO means there's a good chance you're dumb twice.

At Wake Forest Curry was a physical specimen who made the plays he was supposed to make, but he wasn't a football player who made plays outside of the defensive scheme.
IMO that's the definition of a star player, someone who plays above the scheme and does things normal players can't.

Curry 'sucks' because he was taken 4th, not because he's a totally inept football player.

AJ Hawk had recognition problems in GB too. It had nothing at all to do with his athletic ability.

On a good football team with better coaching, I think Aaron Curry suddenly is a solid LB again.

EDIT: If the Seahawks drafted a 34 ILB to play strongside OLB in a 43, do I still have trust their evaluation on the guy??

Some guys simply have no coverage awareness. It's a liability yes, but it doesn't mean a LB can't contribute as a starter.
I know if Curry could consistently stone the run and hit holes on blitzes, he would be beloved here in D.C., even if he couldn't cover a TE or RB to save his life.

RaiderNation
09-29-2011, 06:55 PM
I will take him over Quinton Groves any day, make it happen Al.

Raiderz4Life
09-29-2011, 07:15 PM
I will take him over Quinton Groves any day, make it happen Al.

I would too. He's not bad, just not 4th overall pick good.

RaiderNation
09-29-2011, 07:17 PM
I would too. He's not bad, just not 4th overall pick good.

Im sure he isn't Groves bad. I wouldn't be mad if we send a 4th or 5th for him at all. Guy still has potential to be a good player.

Raiderz4Life
09-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Groves has his moments but most the time seems he's lost.

gpngc
09-29-2011, 08:51 PM
You can't say this is a Vernon Ghoston situation if you're being honest or objective.
When a franchise puts as poor a product on the field like the Seahawks, I'm always going to question their player personnel decisions.

I only saw a handful of Seahawks games last season, but whenever I focused on Curry he wasn't out there embarrassing himself.

Aaron Curry was taken 4th by the same coaching staff/FO I'm suddenly supposed to believe is right in trying to trade/cut Curry this season?

At Wake Forest Curry was a physical specimen who made the plays he was supposed to make, but he wasn't a football player who made plays outside of the defensive scheme.
IMO that's the definition of a star player, someone who plays above the scheme and does things normal players can't.

Curry 'sucks' because he was taken 4th, not because he's a totally inept football player.

AJ Hawk had recognition problems in GB too. It had nothing at all to do with his athletic ability.

On a good football team with better coaching, I think Aaron Curry suddenly is a solid LB again.

EDIT: If the Seahawks drafted a 34 ILB to play strongside OLB in a 43, do I still have trust their evaluation on the guy??

Some guys simply have no coverage awareness. It's a liability yes, but it doesn't mean a LB can't contribute as a starter.
I know if Curry could consistently stone the run and hit holes on blitzes, he would be beloved here in D.C., even if he couldn't cover a TE or RB to save his life.

You are wrong on every level.

A) He was drafted by a different GM and different coaching staff.

B) He was good at Wake Forest. That's at Wake Forest. He was a star at Wake Forest. Jamaal Branch was a star at Colgate. Neither are good at the NFL level - a whole different beast.

He's not good. You blame the coaches (two different staffs), the schemes (two different schemes), and state that he's not totally inept as an NFL player.

You are wrong. He's made a few plays. Maybe about two splash plays throughout his career. A couple of tackles. A lot of tackles way down the field after getting beat. Other than that, he's been awful.

His coaching staff and every single Seahawks fan has said this. You say you've seen a handful of games. We're right - sorry.

EDIT: And you are so full of **** because the only Seahawks game anyone has watched was that Saints game last year - and he was ******* terrible in it lol.

FUNBUNCHER
09-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Calm your ass down dude.
I saw Seattle play the Giants/Bears/Broncos last year. And the Saints in the playoffs.
I mentioned Curry's performance at Wake Forest because he wasn't a SUPASTAR in the ACC. Just a good LB with outstanding measurables.

If a guy isn't a beast in college, why would you draft him #4 overall??

So you think if Aaron Curry can't play for the Seahawks, his NFL career is over??
You mean like Bobby Carpenter in Dallas who's suddenly a 'good' player in a scheme that better fits his skillset with Detroit??

Even Gholston got more than two seasons before he was kicked to the curb. At least Curry started and showed he was a contributor.

He was only a bad pick at for where he was taken. That's why Seattle won't cut him outright because that 'scrub' player still has value.

I think you're arguing that Curry is a bum player. I'm saying he's a solid LB with certain flaws in his game. He's not some slow footed total mental **** -up.
Curry has started 30 games for the Seahawks since '09. He's been productive.
But if you were expecting Derrick Thomas/Derrick Brooks, sorry Curry is not a future HOFer.

SolidGold
09-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Curry is a victim of being over drafted, Seattle opting to go with the "safe pick" at the time. He won't live up to that status so in those terms he will be a bust but I don't think he is a bad player, he is solid. But yea, new regimes don't have loyalty to players drafted by the previous regime. It is most prevalent with QBs just because they get more attention but applies to all positions.

gpngc
09-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Calm your ass down dude.
I saw Seattle play the Giants/Bears/Broncos last year. And the Saints in the playoffs.
I mentioned Curry's performance at Wake Forest because he wasn't a SUPASTAR in the ACC. Just a good LB with outstanding measurables.

If a guy isn't a beast in college, why would you draft him #4 overall??

So you think if Aaron Curry can't play for the Seahawks, his NFL career is over??
You mean like Bobby Carpenter in Dallas who's suddenly a 'good' player in a scheme that better fits his skillset with Detroit??

Even Gholston got more than two seasons before he was kicked to the curb. At least Curry started and showed he was a contributor.

He was only a bad pick at for where he was taken. That's why Seattle won't cut him outright because that 'scrub' player still has value.

I think you're arguing that Curry is a bum player. I'm saying he's a solid LB with certain flaws in his game. He's not some slow footed total mental **** -up.
Curry has started 30 games for the Seahawks since '09. He's been productive.
But if you were expecting Derrick Thomas/Derrick Brooks, sorry Curry is not a future HOFer.

I'm arguing that he's not a good LB based on actual NFL games. I know he was great at Wake. Who cares? That was Wake. He's not solid - that's where we disagree. He's bad.

Could he be good on another team? Anything is possible. But why? Is he all of the sudden going to possess the instincts and abilities needed to play LB at the NFL level in any scheme? Good luck.

FUNBUNCHER
09-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Curry WASN'T great at WF. He hardly had any highlight plays his senior year. Just a solid/good LB with range who made a lot of tackles.

NFL scouts IMO assumed Curry would be a better pro than a collegian, I don't understand this line of thinking although it does happen quite often.

I think ACC fans were a little surprised how high Curry was graded after the 2008 season because he wasn't a dominant player.

XxXdragonXxX
09-30-2011, 01:00 AM

It was Tim Ruskell (Now with the Bears) and Jim Mora (Now out of the NFL) that drafted Curry.

Curry is a bum. He gets beat routinely in pass coverage, he brings nothing as a pass rusher, and he gets caught out of position in the run game.

Some team will probably take a chance and give us a 4th for him. Maybe he will do better in a different scheme, but probably not.

CC.SD
09-30-2011, 10:05 AM
http://americanfootballphotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Aaron-Curry.jpg

http://www.j-14.com/MikeTheSituation.jpg

Zycho32
09-30-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm all for moving Curry inside... or trading him to a team that will do so, or at least try to do something different with him as an OLB.

If for no other reason than to see if he- as a player- can be redeemed as far as his draft standing went.

Splat
09-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Derrick Johnson moving inside in a 3-4 worked for him so who knows maybe it would help Curry as well.

K Train
09-30-2011, 11:41 AM

this...oher was #1 far and away for me. I actually though andre smith was a monster guard prospect, and if he came out in man child shape like he was his first 2 years at bama he was a LT all the way.

jason smith always sucked...but omgz hes just a good athlete for the position former TE sooper athletic ftw....bleh. he was also touted as this crushing run blocker even though he was in a 2 point stance and mostly pass blocked. he looks legit on paper, but hes always sucked...i loved when saffold took the LT job with ease.

i liked monroe, but not NEARLY as much as i loved branden albert

San Diego Chicken
09-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Curry was Mayock's boy. He wasn't really being mocked in the top ten until Mayock put him at the top of his senior rankings. Then when he tore up the combine, he became a lock top 5 pick.

Rosebud
09-30-2011, 02:34 PM
this...oher was #1 far and away for me. I actually though andre smith was a monster guard prospect, and if he came out in man child shape like he was his first 2 years at bama he was a LT all the way.

jason smith always sucked...but omgz hes just a good athlete for the position former TE sooper athletic ftw....bleh. he was also touted as this crushing run blocker even though he was in a 2 point stance and mostly pass blocked. he looks legit on paper, but hes always sucked...i loved when saffold took the LT job with ease.

i liked monroe, but not NEARLY as much as i loved branden albert

Smith was good at Butler, the fact that his raw tools, mean streak out there and quick feet when shuffling in pass pro didn't come together doesn't mean he wasn't a really intriguing prospect.

LonghornsLegend
09-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Smith was good at Butler, the fact that his raw tools, mean streak out there and quick feet when shuffling in pass pro didn't come together doesn't mean he wasn't a really intriguing prospect.

Baylor. I know you meant that though lol. I was 1 that was a fan of Smith, but people act like in hindsight his film sucked. He was a superb athlete and great on film, in fact if he was coming out of the last draft he goes ahead of Tyron Smith and Nate Solder two other guys were who perceived as high upside, highly athletic Tackles with alot of learning to go.

He could get to the 2nd level better then anyone else in that class, and he really did punish people in the running game. Not like people can gloat too much over calling him a bust prior. That entire LT class was hyped up(rightfully so at the time) and looking back how many franchise LT's came out from that group?

I think nearly every one of them have been a let down.

EvilNixon
09-30-2011, 04:39 PM

#3 Tyson Jackson
#4 Aaron Curry
#6 Andre Smith
#7 DHB
#10 Michael Crabtree
#11 Aaron Maybin
#16 Larry English

DHB played with JaMarcus Russell and Jason Campbell...He goes to a team with a competent QB and he's a young TO.

EvilNixon
09-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Mike Mitchell any good?

Best safety on the team. He was going to beat out Branch, but got injured.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-30-2011, 04:47 PM
I couldn't stop reading when someone compared him to Vernon Gholston. Really? REALLY??? Let's get real. That person lost all credibility.

EvilNixon
09-30-2011, 04:47 PM
DHB was a guy I was flat out wrong on so far. I was infatuated with his height/weight/speed combination, something that I frequently got carried away with as far as receivers go. Sometimes that works out(See Denarius Moore), sometimes it doesn't. I thought he went WAY too high though. With how raw he was, I thought he would go somewhere outside the top fifteen to the end of the first round simply because the risk of him never developing into anything more than a deep threat was too great. He hasn't even been able to do that so far. I still think there's some hope for him, he's just 24....but it's pretty clear he's never going to live up to his billing coming out.

Moore had one good game...how did he work out?

EvilNixon
09-30-2011, 04:53 PM
DHB imo is like a Troy Williamson clone...with slightly better hands. SLIGHTLY

Except Troy never produced. When DHB has gotten targets, he's looked good.

San Diego Chicken
10-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Except Troy never produced. When DHB has gotten targets, he's looked good.

When was this, because the rest of us must have missed it.

My god, Raider fans are some of the most insufferable homers around.

Raiderz4Life
10-01-2011, 02:10 PM
When was this, because the rest of us must have missed it.

My god, Raider fans are some of the most insufferable homers around.

That loses a lot of credibility coming from someone with SD in their name. There is much much worse than Raider fans.

CC.SD
10-01-2011, 02:14 PM
That loses a lot of credibility coming from someone with SD in their name. There is much much worse than Raider fans.

lol this loses a lot of credit from someone with raiderz in their name, and around and around we go wheeeee

San Diego Chicken
10-01-2011, 02:16 PM

Yeah, you would never see me trying to convince anyone that Larry English is a good player.

This is coming from the same fanbase that is still holding out hope that Chaz Schillens is a #1 reciever in the NFL. LOL.

Raiderz4Life
10-01-2011, 02:20 PM
lol this loses a lot of credit from someone with raiderz in their name, and around and around we go wheeeee

touche lol

diabsoule
10-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Reading rumors that Curry could be traded to the Raiders

Per Liz Matthews, Seahawks reporter for 710 ESPN
"Per Liz Mathews: "Aaron Curry was not at practice and his locker is empty. Seahawks have no official comment yet.""

Raiderz4Life
10-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Reading rumors that Curry could be traded to the Raiders

Per Liz Matthews, Seahawks reporter for 710 ESPN
"Per Liz Mathews: "Aaron Curry was not at practice and his locker is empty. Seahawks have no official comment yet.""

Very nice. I would welcome him in Oaktown.

MetSox17
10-12-2011, 02:52 PM
I see Al Davis is still slangin' from the afterlife. Nice.

Saints-Tigers
10-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Guys like Aaron Curry baffle me. Great production, great measurables, great character, no injuries.... and does about nothing in the NFL.

ChiFan24
10-12-2011, 03:06 PM
I'd be mildly surprised if the Bears aren't the mystery team that traded for him. Probably overpaid. Such a typical Angelo move.

Raiders and Panthers also rumored.

asdf1223
10-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Guys like Aaron Curry baffle me. Great production, great measurables, great character, no injuries.... and does about nothing in the NFL.

That's pretty much how the entire Seahawk fanbase feels as well.

asdf1223
10-12-2011, 03:09 PM
I'd be mildly surprised if the Bears aren't the mystery team that traded for him. Probably overpaid. Such a typical Angelo move.

Raiders and Panthers also rumored.

Bears make a ton of sense. Especially since the guy who drafted him is your scouting director.

_YL_
10-12-2011, 03:12 PM
I would welcome him hopefully could be a upgrade over Groves wonder what Oakland would give up

_YL_
10-12-2011, 03:15 PM
YAYA Aaron curry is a Raider

diabsoule
10-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Per Jay Glazer: Sources on Raiders & SEA tell me they've agreed to a trade sending Aaron Curry, 4th pick in 09 draft, to OAK for pick this yr, 1 next yr

bantx
10-12-2011, 03:25 PM
now I hope he sucks it up any other team i wouldve rooted for him

UGH!

diabsoule
10-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Both picks the Raiders traded are undisclosed. According to ESPN they are both late round picks.

BeerBaron
10-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Nice trade for the Raiders. They don't give much up and get a player with upside still.

Now here comes some Seahawks fan to tell us that he's the worst player ever and giving up anything more than a deflated football that's been chewed on by a dog is too much for this horrible, worthless, garbage player.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd.....go!

ImBrotherCain
10-12-2011, 03:36 PM
What Seahawks fan?

I think there is like 3 on the entire board?

diabsoule
10-12-2011, 03:38 PM
From Chris Mortensen:
Following up on the Aaron Curry trade, the Raiders will give Seahawks a 7th rounder in 2012 & conditional mid-rounder in 2013.

BeerBaron
10-12-2011, 03:38 PM
What Seahawks fan?

I think there is like 3 on the entire board?

Go back through the last couple pages. "They" might not be many, in fact it might just be one, but "they" are livid in his awfulness.

RaiderNation
10-12-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm hearing it's a 7th in 2012 and 5th in 2013. Worth the risk at this price, we really need help at WLB and hopefully Curry can catch on quick. He will
be better than Groves

Caulibflower
10-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Sucks to only get a 7th and a 5th three years after drafting a guy #4 overall. Nothing for 'Hawks fans to be excited about here.

Splat
10-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Worth a shot but I wouldn't expect to much Raiders fans.

FUNBUNCHER
10-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Raiders made off like bandits. What are the odds that 7th and 5th round pick turn into starters??

The Seahawks could have gotten more than that for Curry IMO.

Splat
10-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Raiders made off like bandits. What are the odds that 7th and 5th round pick turn into starters?

You do know Curry was a back up right?

Rabscuttle
10-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Raiders made off like bandits. What are the odds that 7th and 5th round pick turn into starters??

Unless they left the drunk in charge, I'm pretty sure they took the best offer they could find. They purge a bad contract and perhaps luck out with a long snapper and a fullback or tight end or a guard. That's making chicken salad out of chicken ****.

shylo3716
10-12-2011, 05:12 PM

I would most definitely like to see your list of guys who fit this description.

ElectricEye
10-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Not impossible that the Raiders get something out of Curry. Good fit for him, even. They've gotten production out of guys with raw skills before and he's an upgrade over what they have with Groves.

shylo3716
10-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Andy Reid should have been all over this like a ***** in heat!

Splat
10-12-2011, 05:26 PM
I would not be shocked if he plays well but I find the "OMGZZZ the Raiders stole Curry" talk silly.

RaiderNation
10-12-2011, 05:30 PM
All I'm hoping for is an upgrade over Groves. Anything else then this could be considered a steal. Curry has the skills to be a starter, I don't think he fit Carrols scheme at all.

asdf1223
10-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Oakland has done a fantastic job over the last couple of years with unwanted players from other teams but the writing was on the wall for Curry in Seattle.

When you get replaced by Matt McCoy(yup, the former Eagles bust) on Nickel Packages and later get removed from the starting lineup by a rookie 4th rounder Middle Linebacker after 2 games you pretty much have little to no value to the team. I'll still root for him and defend him to death because he's a great guy and a hard worker.

Plus the 5th rounder is based on playing time incentives. ;)

bearsfan_51
10-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Umm....who the hell made this trade for Oakland?

Shane P. Hallam
10-12-2011, 05:52 PM

CEO Amy Trask and Coach Hue Jackson right now are working together to make personnel decisions.

bearsfan_51
10-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Psh...that's just what the ghost of Al Davis wants you to think.

RaiderNation
10-12-2011, 05:57 PM

I am thinking this trade has already been discussed before Al's passing, and on Monday/Tuesday Seattle made a call seeing if we still are interested. Hue probably met with Mark Davis and/or Amy Trask and they got the deal done.

ChiFan24
10-12-2011, 06:27 PM
CEO Amy Trask and Coach Hue Jackson right now are working together to make personnel decisions.

Amy's a weird name for a man....

RaiderNation
10-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Amy's a weird name for a man....

She is the first ever woman hired in a high ranking front office position if my memory is right

LonghornsLegend
10-12-2011, 06:38 PM

You always over value these type of guys and/or trades. Didn't you say SF would/could have gotten more for Taylor Mays? I'm not sure why your so fascinated with these formerly good prospects whose play has fallen off, or why you think teams want to trade good players for far less then market value.

Unless there are some off the field issues going on, how often do you see good young players getting traded for peanuts?

He very well could go on to start for Oakland and be solid, but your always exaggerating in these types of threads no matter who the player is. You have no clue if Seattle could have gotten more, not everyone feels like your entitled to something because you were a good prospect coming out.

Shane P. Hallam
10-12-2011, 06:39 PM
She is the first ever woman hired in a high ranking front office position if my memory is right

Yes she is and has done pretty well.

Rabscuttle
10-12-2011, 07:20 PM
He could turn his career around and have a great career for the Raiders and this would still be a good move by the Seahawks just for clearing him from the books and opening the roster space for a player that may contribute for them.

What he does for the Raiders doesn't means little with regards to the Seahawks because he wasn't going to do it for them. How he busted so hard for them is something they need to look at though. Are they doing what they need to make the most of their personnel? Or are they taking the wrong approach to certain positions?

FUNBUNCHER
10-12-2011, 07:23 PM
You always over value these type of guys and/or trades. Didn't you say SF would/could have gotten more for Taylor Mays? I'm not sure why your so fascinated with these formerly good prospects whose play has fallen off, or why you think teams want to trade good players for far less then market value.

Unless there are some off the field issues going on, how often do you see good young players getting traded for peanuts?

He very well could go on to start for Oakland and be solid, but your always exaggerating in these types of threads no matter who the player is. You have no clue if Seattle could have gotten more, not everyone feels like your entitled to something because you were a good prospect coming out.

Aaron Curry isn't Taylor Mays, who never contributed really beyond specials for SF.

Pete Carroll knows LBs, but to give up on a guy like Curry after a season of coaching him is tough.

Part of me still believes if Aaron Curry was the 28th pick instead of the 4th, he'd still be on Seattle's roster.

Benching Curry bottomed out any real trade value he had IMO.

General Zod
10-12-2011, 07:26 PM

Whats her 40 time?

bigbluedefense
10-12-2011, 07:29 PM
He's worth the risk I guess. I hate giving up draft picks though. If I were a GM, I wouldn't make the trade the second the conditional 5th was on the table.

I like my 5th round draft picks. Always room for a developmental olinemen or under the radar RB with that good ol 5th.

MetSox17
10-12-2011, 07:40 PM

I hear she makes some awfully good sandwiches.

J-Mike88
10-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Very dangerous.
However, she carries no weight on any personnel decisions, I would wager on.
None.

bigbluedefense
10-12-2011, 07:52 PM
How is it dangerous?

Women don't have functional brains or something?

Rosebud
10-12-2011, 08:17 PM
How is it dangerous?

Women don't have functional brains or something?

Well duh...

bucfan12
10-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Worth the risk in my opinion.

Curry still has upside and honestly, a change of scenery could do good for him. He's only in his 3rd year.

I mean, look at Bobby Carpenter. He's been playing well after totally flopping in Dallas, and Curry has a lot more upside and talent than Carpenter.

AJ Hawk didn't need a change of scenery, he just took a little more time to hit his stride as well.

Low risk, High reward. Nice job by the Raiders. Poor job by Seattle. If they didn't bench Curry, probably could have gotten a higher pick in 2012.

XxXdragonXxX
10-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Aaron Curry isn't Taylor Mays, who never contributed really beyond specials for SF.

Pete Carroll knows LBs, but to give up on a guy like Curry after a season of coaching him is tough.

Part of me still believes if Aaron Curry was the 28th pick instead of the 4th, he'd still be on Seattle's roster.

Benching Curry bottomed out any real trade value he had IMO.

Curry has been with the same D-coordinator for 2 years and 5 games. In that time he has made ZERO progress....in fact he has regressed this year.

There was literally nothing he did well. He was constantly out of position, over-running plays in the run game. And when he was in position he would miss the tackle. He has no pass rushing skills. He can't cover, and when he is miraculously in position to make a play he would drop the easy INT. For the people thinking he will be better in a different system....what system does he fit in if he can't tackle, cover or rush the passer?

He was benched in favor of better players, it's unfortunate that we couldn't move him earlier, but Carroll was trying to win games, and you do that by putting your best guys on the field. The biggest thing that hurt Curry's trade value is the fact that he flat out sucks.

I honestly think if he was the 28th pick he would have been flat out cut instead of traded. And if he was a 7th rounder he would have never made the team.

Caulibflower
10-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Curry still has upside and honestly, a change of scenery could do good for him. He's only in his 3rd year.

Have you heard a single player who's actually watched the Seahawks over the past few years say this? Have you watched the Seahawks nearly every week like I have? The guys makes absolutely no plays. He measures out physically (but is not a spectacular athlete), but his instincts are terrible, he's not a big hitter, he drops interceptions, gets blown by when he's in coverage, and has no value as a pass rusher.

But ZOMGZ he's only his his third year and he was picked #4... he MUST have a lot of undeveloped talent if he isn't good!

I mean, look at Bobby Carpenter. He's been playing well after totally flopping in Dallas, and Curry has a lot more upside and talent than Carpenter.

How, exactly, are you determining that Curry has more upside than Carpenter? Carpenter was the one who was drafted on his athletic skill set; Curry was drafted because he supposedly already had a very well-developed game. He was literally supposed to be a plug-and-play player, and he's just not that good. I highly doubt he's going to improve, because he's already playing to his measurables - He's just not that good. Also, any soft linebacker can run around making tackles behind Detroit's D-line, so not sure the Bobby Carpenter example has any merit.

Malaka
10-12-2011, 09:59 PM
How, exactly, are you determining that Curry has more upside than Carpenter? Carpenter was the one who was drafted on his athletic skill set; Curry was drafted because he supposedly already had a very well-developed game. He was literally supposed to be a plug-and-play player, and he's just not that good. I highly doubt he's going to improve, because he's already playing to his measurables - He's just not that good. Also, any soft linebacker can run around making tackles behind Detroit's D-line, so not sure the Bobby Carpenter example has any merit.

Curry was not selected 4th overall to be a plug-n-play player. That guy was athletic as hell in Wake Forest. I remember threads here saying how he could conceivably play any linebacker position in both the 4-3 and 3-4. He had immense potential and pretty good numbers on the field. That's why he was picked where he was picked.

The Bobby Carpenter example does have some merit, albeit not much. Curry was drafted top 5 because he had upside and probably more so in the eyes of NFL teams than Bobby Carpenter. However, comparing players upsides once they get into the NFL is tricky, but you cannot disagree that a change of scenery can, sometimes, really help a player. Thus bringing us back to Bobby Carpenter.

Honestly, after watching the Giants vs. Seahawks, Curry looked slow as hell, and just wasn't a sure tackler. I really don't know how the Raiders will change that.

Caulibflower
10-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Curry was not selected 4th overall to be a plug-n-play player. That guy was athletic as hell in Wake Forest. I remember threads here saying how he could conceivably play any linebacker position in both the 4-3 and 3-4. He had immense potential and pretty good numbers on the field. That's why he was picked where he was picked.

The Bobby Carpenter example does have some merit, albeit not much. Curry was drafted top 5 because he had upside and probably more so in the eyes of NFL teams than Bobby Carpenter. However, comparing players upsides once they get into the NFL is tricky, but you cannot disagree that a change of scenery can, sometimes, really help a player. Thus bringing us back to Bobby Carpenter.

Honestly, after watching the Giants vs. Seahawks, Curry looked slow as hell, and just wasn't a sure tackler. I really don't know how the Raiders will change that.

Your post doesn't quite make sense to me. How is he not a plug-and-play player if it was thought that he could play any linebacker position? That, to me, would say, "Hey, you've got a player who already has a developed skill set." And I'm just going to have to disagree with you about the potential thing. I remember when he was picked, people were not talking about his potential; it was all about how he was a safe pick, and was guaranteed to be a solid player, yada yada yada... People talk about players having high ceilings - Curry was thought to have an extremely high floor. That's how people thought of him going into the draft. He was drafted with the people who drafted him thinking, "Aaron Curry will be a good linebacker on day 1 of the 2009 season," and the fact is, they were simply wrong, and he's not the kind of athletic freak who can compensate for his other deficiencies. So have fun with your new backup linebacker, Oakland. Make sure everyone knows he was drafted in the top 5.

bucfan12
10-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Your post doesn't quite make sense to me. How is he not a plug-and-play player if it was thought that he could play any linebacker position? That, to me, would say, "Hey, you've got a player who already has a developed skill set." And I'm just going to have to disagree with you about the potential thing. I remember when he was picked, people were not talking about his potential; it was all about how he was a safe pick, and was guaranteed to be a solid player, yada yada yada... People talk about players having high ceilings - Curry was thought to have an extremely high floor. That's how people thought of him going into the draft. He was drafted with the people who drafted him thinking, "Aaron Curry will be a good linebacker on day 1 of the 2009 season," and the fact is, they were simply wrong, and he's not the kind of athletic freak who can compensate for his other deficiencies. So have fun with your new backup linebacker, Oakland. Make sure everyone knows he was drafted in the top 5.

He was drafted top 5 because he was an athletic beast at Wake Forest. We're still unsure what happened to him in the NFL. Maybe his work ethic hasn't been there.

But seriously, coming out of school as a prospect in 2009, there was no question about his athleticsim. He could play all 3 LB positions and some former players, even Derrick Brooks mentioned he was one of the better prospects to come out.

However, I think it's more mentally with Curry than physically. A change of scenery can actually help a former top pick's career. Not saying it will, but for what the Raiders traded for him, it's worth the risk, IMO.

EvilNixon
10-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Very dangerous.
However, she carries no weight on any personnel decisions, I would wager on.
None.

Actually her and Herrera were helping Al make most if not all decisions.

SolidGold
10-13-2011, 07:31 AM
He was drafted top 5 because he was an athletic beast at Wake Forest. We're still unsure what happened to him in the NFL. Maybe his work ethic hasn't been there.

But seriously, coming out of school as a prospect in 2009, there was no question about his athleticsim. He could play all 3 LB positions and some former players, even Derrick Brooks mentioned he was one of the better prospects to come out.

However, I think it's more mentally with Curry than physically. A change of scenery can actually help a former top pick's career. Not saying it will, but for what the Raiders traded for him, it's worth the risk, IMO.

Gholston was an athletic beast too. Time and time again cases of guys with great measurables do not work out in the NFL. I think Curry is a solid player but he was drafted way to high especially considering all the other LBs in that draft who have outperformed him.

thenewfeature06
10-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Aaron Curry is headed to Oakland.

WLB is a hole.. not sure Curry can fill that hole but has to be better than Groves. I like it personally.

Halsey
10-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Can you imagine if the Lions took him...

I suspect Curry's huge rookie contract has impacted his motivation. Can't say I'd blame a guy for wanting to enjoy his money and chill in Seattle.

BigBanger
10-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Bobby Carpenter was a 43 OLB that went to a 34 defense. Carpenter was a really good prospect coming out, lets not forget that, but that was one of the worst draft picks Bill Parcells has made in recent years since it was such a terrible fit schematically. Parcells tried to force a player with the intangibles, motor and work ethic that he loves into a position he simply didn't play. Instincts and playmaking ability were not question marks coming out, they were actually strengths of his along with working in space and pursuing the football ... from a 43 OLB position. I remember thinking the pick was very odd, but I trusted Parcells knew what he was doing. Carpenters success is proving that it was a mistake since he looks so confident, aggressive and is now making plays all over the field in his more natural position.

Thats continually a major contributor to teams drafting busts or disappointing players. Either they don't fit their scheme or there's a coaching change early into a players career where a new scheme is used that doesn't fit the players strengths. I think Glenn Dorsey could be a great player instead of the bust that he is. He just doesn't fit the scheme he's in and I'd love to see him in a 43 front. I think he'd be a Pro Bowl player.

Curry on the other hand was overhyped coming out of college, and it was unfortunate that he was one of those players that was viewed as a player that could play every position on defense. Realistically, he was a 43 SAM backer only. That's all he was. And if he was anything, he was a project that would take years developing to play any other LB position in a different front. He went to a 43 defense, the defense he was best suited for. That alone makes this Bobby Carpenter comparison invalid.

It was a terrible pick by SEA because he wasn't going to be an impact player worthy of that kind of selection or money. He wasn't a playmaker. 43 OLB is one of the most devalued positions in the draft, and that's what Curry was: a good prospect at a position of little impact. People said he could play every LB position in every defense ever created just to make his top 5 billing more validated. It just wasn't true. Curry did have negatives to his game: like a lack of instincts and poor tackling in space. The Wake Forest scheme was also a bit odd. He was directly on the line of scrimmage and had one read and one responsibility (keep contain). When he wasn't directly on the LOS he was split out wide covering wide receivers out of the slot and then dropping into zones. These truncated responsibilities limited his view and instincts of typical gaps and run fits. It was like a hybrid 34 / 43 type OLB position. It made his game tape a little unimpressive and difficult to watch because you never really saw him in space reading + reacting like a normal 43 OLB would. The combine and his performance blew people away and made everyone think that he could do everything known to man. I can't say his career, to this point, is totally surprising since nothing surprises me anymore; not after Vernon Gholston couldn't even muster up a single NFL sack in his extremely short lived career after I thought he was the best player in the Draft.

I thought Curry was overrated, but I still thought he was going to be a good player that consistently had around 100 tackles almost every single season. I also thought he had the capability of developing into a good pass rusher 3 or 4 years into his career and eventually developing into something that resembled a playmaker. He has shown nothing thus far that would make me believe that is even a possibility. I think it's a good trade for Oak since they don't stand to lose anything. It's just incredibly pathetic for Seattle that they spend the 4th overall pick on a guy and then, three years later, can't even get a first rounder for him, let alone a 6th rounder.

EvilNixon
10-13-2011, 10:46 AM
100 sacks per season? :O

bantx
10-13-2011, 11:03 AM
I will never read your post bigbanger it's like ..................

_YL_
10-13-2011, 12:37 PM
I don't think he will take over Groves spot. I expect Wimbley to play more DE and Curry to take over at SLB.

FUNBUNCHER
10-13-2011, 01:29 PM
I would play Curry inside next to McClain.

Complex
10-13-2011, 02:15 PM
I like to say one thing Curry was/is a better athlete than Bobby Carpenter.

bernbabybern820
10-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Holy crap! Curry is already going to start on Monday for Groves...

Edit: Ummm meant Sunday

RaiderNation
10-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Yup Curry will wear #51 and start at WLB in place of Groves. I still expect to see Groves to get around half the snaps since Curry has only practiced with us for a day.

Curry-McClain-Wimbley

Very solid young group of LBs right there. All former 1st round picks as well

_YL_
10-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Curry brings speed which was missing in this defense he wont have to think more its more react which I believe will suit him better. But man Ro needs to step it up. and play with more energy slow as a snail. But happy to see Curry play on Sunday

Xonraider
10-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Curry brings speed which was missing in this defense he wont have to think more its more react which I believe will suit him better. But man Ro needs to step it up. and play with more energy slow as a snail. But happy to see Curry play on Sunday

I'm almost certain one thing this defense ISN'T missing, is speed.

RaiderNation
10-15-2011, 02:13 AM
I'm almost certain one thing this defense ISN'T missing, is speed.

He gives us an upgrade at WLB over Groves