PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Total QB Rating

SolidGold
09-23-2011, 12:01 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on this? Personally I think it is pretty annoying and Sportscenter and all ESPNs NFL programming seem to be pushing it really hard. Do you think it will catch on? Or will the QB rating system currently used continue to be the way QBs are measured?

diabsoule
09-23-2011, 12:49 PM
I think it's stupid. I don't think it will catch on and it's just something ESPN is doing to help them feel special.

Saints-Tigers
09-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Is that the stat they made to make their Matt Ryan hype look justified? lol.

keylime_5
09-23-2011, 01:08 PM
it's really dumb. espn needs to report the news, not try and create the news. QB Rating is far superior to this stupid gimmick stat ESPN is trying to market. They punished Jason Campbell's rating much more severley than they should've for throwing an INT on a last second hail mary for one.

SolidGold
09-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Glad i'm not the only one who thinks its dumb :)

BigBanger
09-24-2011, 01:45 AM
Is that the stat they made to make their Matt Ryan hype look justified? lol.
And that Peyton Manning is better than Tom Brady.

It's ********. I hope it goes away, but with Trent Dilfer now giving analysis to MLB, Hockey and Tennis, I'm pretty sure that it isn't going anywhere. He is killing ESPN and almost making it unwatchable since he's on every ******* time I turn the TV on. I hate him with a passion. He should be assassinated. I heard him during a broadcast saying that there should be a stat for DLlinemen creating holding calls, so we can look forward to that stat in the next few years.

ViperVisor
09-24-2011, 06:46 AM
I thought that it was based on watching every play and grading stuff. It looks like it is now just a better formula.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6990394/nfl-week-2-total-qbr-leaders

I watched the 49ers/Cowboys game
http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=310918025

Romo was not 5.4 points away from a perfect game. Looks like it is too much weighted to this Clutch nonsense. He made mostly great throws but the SF secondary was not even 2nd rate at times which lead to a lot of his production. He didn't run the ball at all so he got no bump for that.

Alex Smith gets killed with a -5.4 Sack EPA but it is inarguable that 5 of the 6 were complete O-Line/scheme breakdowns.

J-Mike88
09-24-2011, 07:36 AM
it's really dumb. espn needs to report the news, not try and create the news. QB Rating is far superior to this stupid gimmick stat ESPN is trying to market. They punished Jason Campbell's rating much more severley than they should've for throwing an INT on a last second hail mary for one.
Great comments....... on all accounts there.

XxXdragonXxX
09-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Well, I think they have Tarvaris Jackson a little too high. 0 would be about right....maybe -5.

I think it works better in most cases, but it's fatally flawed in other cases. For example, Kevin Kolb goes from being the #5 QB in the league in the NFL's rating system, to 18th in ESPN's because of his sack EPA. Too much weight on a stat that is usually out of the QBs control (*usually.....T-Sack.)