PDA

View Full Version : Must See Players

Rob S
09-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Yeah.....this will be another Cameron Newton thread (for me anyway). That said, Cammy Cam is far and away the most "must see" player of my brief lifetime as a football fan. At some point of every day this week I thought about what Cameron Newton is going to do this weekend and how I must see it. Personally, I have never, ever had a football player reach must see status like that before. I feel like Vick was probably must see television, but I was pretty young when he was entering the league and I feel like "must see" status has an inverse relationship with time already in the league.

I ask you, NFLDC.....who is the most "must see" player you can remember? Who is the most "must see" player in the NFL right now?

tjsunstein
09-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Michael Vick was obviously one of them.
Chris Johnson when he was rushing towards 2K.
Michael Strahan.
LaDainian Tomlinson back in his best days as a Charger.
The undefeated Patriots run.
Brett Favre at some point.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
09-23-2011, 08:29 PM
must see for me was the the Sanders Boyz, Barry and Deion. Barry was the best player i ever saw. Deion was as electric of a defensive game changer as could be. both are from my "era" of growning up with the NFL. so, it only makes sense that i would remember those 2 as the must see players from my generation.

today, it's prolly DeSean Jackson and Jamaal Charles (you can call me a homer with the Charles selection). both are capable of scoring on any play from any point on the field. any games with these 2 players in it will be a must watch for me.

Rob S
09-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Michael Vick was obviously one of them.
Chris Johnson when he was rushing towards 2K.
Michael Strahan.
LaDainian Tomlinson back in his best days as a Charger.
The undefeated Patriots run.
Brett Favre at some point.

Yes, CJ's chase for 2K was awesome. That's a good call. Pats weren't as must see for me because they usually erased all doubt by halftime.

tjsunstein
09-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Devin Hester.

Rob S
09-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Thing for me is, its not all about game breaking ability or talent. While that ability probably is a prerequisite to being "must see", quite frankly, I would't make an effort to watch a game because D Jax or Charles or CJ2K is playing. Lions in the red zone are a must see for me with Calvin. I think some guys just have that "it" factor that makes everyone need to watch them.

Rob S
09-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Devin Hester.

Yeah, if I could have an alert flash when the Bears were receiving a kick/punt I would tune in every time.

dj825
09-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Devin Hester a few years ago, Cam Newton and for me Smash and Dash (DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart) a few years ago. i remember Vick and Strahan and the end of Barry Sanders career and they were all amazing must watch players. i always liked enjoyed watching Champ Bailey and Chris McCallister at corner back as well when they were in their prime.

TACKLE
09-24-2011, 12:53 AM
Cam and Vick are the only two that I'd really call 'must see'.

TitansCJftw
09-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Cam and Vick are the only two that I'd really call as 'must see'.

i would echo this statement(even as a titans fan) the things cam newton is doing right now are...

49erNation85
09-24-2011, 01:48 AM
Tebow can be said if he ever gets dam start!

senormysterioso
09-24-2011, 02:57 AM
If you're kind of a student of the game, and like x's and o's...Peyton Manning is definitely a "must see" kind of player. Watching him run that offense is incredible. I don't think there has ever been a player that's had the combination of intelligence and physical tools that he has. There are successful head coaches and offensive coordinators working in the NFL that Peyton could teach a thing or two to.

Other than him, when Polomolu is doing his thing lining up all over the place it's pretty awesome to watch.
All five and a half feet of Maurice Jones Drew trucking people like nothing is something special.
Adrian Peterson also makes me hold my breath every time he gets the ball, especially when they're playing the Packers.
Ndamakong Sue is a player that I always pay attention to when the Lions are playing...beast!

hockey619
09-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Barry Sanders, as was said before. Watching him play was incredible.

Suh and Reggie White, and maybe Ngata, are the only lineman I really pay much attention too. Im a little too young to remember enough of LT to say him.

Someone said watching Peyton, but watching Rex Ryan's D is must see imo. I love defense and watching his packages on 3 and distance is damn impressive.

senormysterioso
09-24-2011, 06:36 AM
One more I want to add, a little outside the box. I've been a fan of Joe Thomas since his freshman year at Wisconsin...and he's pretty much the only offensive lineman I've ever paid attention to. I key on him every play when the Browns are on...he's so friggin good. From footwork, to strength aggression, hands...he's got it all.

TheFinisher
09-24-2011, 09:46 AM
NFL- Suh

Cowboys/Homer- Dez

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
09-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Jawalrus and all of his epic fail

Splat
09-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Matt Cassel.

He isn't throwing to anyone on the field maybe you can catch a ball in the crowd.

CJSchneider
09-24-2011, 11:31 AM
If you missed Jerry Rice on offense and Ronnie Lott on defense during the same game, you missed something special.

CC.SD
09-24-2011, 11:31 AM
From the last 10 years, the number 1 'must see 'player for me is Ladainian Tomlinson. I'll throw a shout out to the Kurt Warner Rams and Sean Taylor too. Can we throw some freaking highlight reels in this thread? How's that for a 10000 post bitches

cuSftZWpsIM

EI3zCy98jZs

KvE3I0A0fek

tjsunstein
09-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Greatest Show on Turf deserves a shout out.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Well from what my dad says LT. I was born when he was drafted. But I vaguely remember him when I was around 5 or 6. I remember Strahan, and can't really say there is a must see player now. I thought Kenny P. would be it, but then he got hurt. Maybe JPP? He got a lot of hype either as a big time boom or bust prospect, and well.. he didn't go bust. So watching him closely.

RaiderNation
09-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Through 2 games Darren McFadden has looked awesome. 2nd in the league in rushing and he has he look of a top 5 RB in the league if he stays healthy.

Denarius Moore could be the steal of the 2011 draft, and after last weeks performance I'd say he is a player to watch.

Caulibflower
09-24-2011, 01:16 PM
I too am a relatively young football watcher, so I'm only drawing from the past decade or so. During his first couple years, Devin Hester was a guy who we'd always switch the channel to when the Bear's opponents were kicking. I can't believe I didn't see Randy Moss listed up there. Did I miss it, or have people already forgotten that he was magic?

Babylon
09-24-2011, 01:22 PM
From the time i saw him carve up Oklahome while i was watching a game at the Seattle yacht club i have always wanted to see John Elway play. I think he was and still is the standard of what the QB position was meant to be.

Today it's homeboy Jake Locker. I can see the love for Cam Newton but Jake is faster with a better arm.

AntoinCD
09-24-2011, 07:35 PM
In no particular order

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Adrian Peterson
Demarcus Ware
Darrelle Revis
Ndamukong Suh
Haloti Ngata

If I had to pick one it would be between Brady and Manning.

Manning's ability to basically coach on the field and be dominant year in year out is something extremely special. Put simply, without Manning and the Colts offense the last 13 years I dont think the NFL would be so geared towards the pass as it is. He consistently won with a high octane passing attack that pressured teams to keep up in scoring. The Miami game from opening day a few years ago was QBing at it's finest. Despite only having the ball for app 20 mins he still managed to outscore the Dolphins.

From a Pats fans' perspective, watching Brady is simply awesome. You look back through history at the great QBs and most times you could find one or maybe two favourite targets. Montana and Young had Rice. Elway had Sharpe. Manning had Harrison and Wayne. Brady has put up ridiculous numbers throwing to anybody. He is the definition of a QB who throws to the open WR/TE.

I think having the chance to watch both these guys play in their prime and throughout their career is definitely the best thing.

Splat
09-24-2011, 07:42 PM
If we are talking past players and in person I'm picking Willie Roaf. I'm not only picking him because he was a great player but because TV doesn't do size of that man justice.

FUNBUNCHER
09-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Must see; Megatron/Suh/Demarcus Ware/Desean Jackson/AD/CJ2K/Vick/CMIII/Brady/Ed Reed.

If their teams are playing, I'll stop to watch specifically to see those players perform.

nepg
09-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Past:
Randy Moss
Lawrence Taylor
Deion Sanders
Barry Sanders
Reggie White
Marshall Faulk

Present:
Aso/Revis
Gronk
DMC
AD
Vick
Matthews
Suh

Caulibflower
09-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Past:
Randy Moss
Lawrence Taylor
Deion Sanders
Barry Sanders
Reggie White
Marshall Faulk

Present:
Aso/Revis
Gronk
DMC
AD
Vick
Matthews
Suh

Throwing Gronkowski out there, eh?

Complex
09-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Past:
Randy Moss
Sean Taylor
Marshal Faulk

Present
CJ2k
Mike Vick
Cam Newton
Desean Jackson
Revis
AD
Ed Reed

TheFinisher
09-24-2011, 09:02 PM
I didn't know we were including past players in this.

Terrell Owens in his prime was pretty awesome to watch, he was just a physical freak and always kept it entertaining with an obnoxious celebration.

Ray Lewis and the entire 2000 Ravens defense.

Mike Vick when he first came in the league just because at that time defenses had no idea how to play/contain a running threat like that.

Randy Moss in his rookie year. His destruction of the Cowboys on Thanksgiving will forever be engraved in my football memory, I think he had like 3 Catches for 180 yards with 3 TDs.

Oakland Raiders in 02 with Rice, Brown and Gannon just because they were on their last legs and still able to school guys that were a decade younger than them.

M.O.T.H.
09-24-2011, 09:16 PM
If I'm watching a game for just one player, normally that comes on the offensive side. I'll probably watch every Carolina game this year, because Newton is just really fun to watch out there.

Some others...

Present:

Peyton
Vick
AD
Mcfadden

Pat Sims 90
09-24-2011, 09:17 PM
AJ Green could eventually be added to this list. He has already made some pretty nice plays

nepg
09-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Throwing Gronkowski out there, eh?
Yup. Gronk is a must-see player. He catches everything thrown his way and it takes 2-4 guys to take him down. Literally haven't seen someone like this since Ben Coates.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-24-2011, 11:06 PM
As a Panthers fan I can't in good conscience say that Cam compares to Vick. Yet.

The Michael Vick Experience was unlike anything the NFL had seen. Cam right now isn't far off from a couple Daunte Culpepper years, which is awesome, but has been seen before

BTW, Dante Hall was more exciting to watch than Hester. Hester is just better

KCJ58
09-25-2011, 12:33 AM
I must say right now

I love seeing Darren McFadden or Steven Jackson Run the ball

I wouldn't go as far to say must see. But when I see, I enjoy

also Colin Baxter, dude's a beast

descendency
09-25-2011, 12:45 AM
As a Panthers fan I can't in good conscience say that Cam compares to Vick. Yet.

The Michael Vick Experience was unlike anything the NFL had seen. Cam right now isn't far off from a couple Daunte Culpepper years, which is awesome, but has been seen before

BTW, Dante Hall was more exciting to watch than Hester. Hester is just better

Cam Newton is nothing like Vick. He's a strong runner, but he himself isn't going to break the big play with his legs. That said, I sit back in awe when he throws the ball almost the same way I did when Vick took off to run it.

If Cam Newton had Randy Moss, I can't imagine how unstoppable that offense would be. Newton > Culpepper.

Breed
09-25-2011, 02:02 AM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2011/writers/chris_harry/09/22/legarrette.blount/legarrette-blount.jpg

tjsunstein
09-25-2011, 02:06 AM
I refuse to believe you've never seen a RB like Blount before...

WMD
09-25-2011, 02:40 AM
http://tophatal.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/jonathan-ogden.jpg

**** YEAH OGDEN.

He was a large man. He still is a large man.

TheBoyWonder22
09-25-2011, 02:41 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0228/nfl_u_okoye_200.jpg

TheBoyWonder22
09-25-2011, 02:46 AM
Someone teach me how to embed a video haha!

Breed
09-25-2011, 02:54 AM
I refuse to believe you've never seen a RB like Blount before...

A 250 pound running back that hurdles every defender in sight? Nope!

Edit: the thread is titled "must see players". So it's not that i've never seen it. it's that Blount running the ball is a "must see" moment...

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0e1Ug6V08Jb8l/220x.jpg

http://5x5.gearupforsports.com/blog/files/2010/11/blount.jpg

molenguinurtle
09-25-2011, 03:20 AM
Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens

TheBoyWonder22
09-25-2011, 03:30 AM
Well since I can't get my video to load....
If I was asked to name 10 players I'd recommend for a new NFL fan to watch I'd say Vick, Brady, Ware, AD, Brees, Clay Matthews, Ed Reed, Fitzgerald when the ball goes his way, DJAX, and then this probably sounds insane but I love to watch BJGE run the ball. His style reminds me of Steve Jackson when he was younger. So many more but there's my 10.

cmarq83
09-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Yup. Gronk is a must-see player. He catches everything thrown his way and it takes 2-4 guys to take him down. Literally haven't seen someone like this since Ben Coates.

Just to reiterate what he said Gronk is definitely a must see player. His catching radius is enormous, and is an impossible cover for 95% of defenders. As NEPG said before it's not uncommon to see him drag a defender 5 yards after the point of contact like a rag doll. His hands are exceptional, and once the ball makes contact with them it's basically impossible to knock out. His blocking is up there with the best tight ends in the league. Last year as a rookie the Patriots coaches let him get matched up 1-on-1 with both Freeney and Matthews and he held his own. I'm not usually one for too many homerish predictions, but I feel really confident with this one: In 1-2 years Gronk will be the best TE in the league, and it won't even be that close. His ceiling is basically Jason Witten with more big play and redzone ability.

cmarq83
09-25-2011, 07:45 AM
My List:

Megatron
Suh
Ngata
Reed
Timmons
Gronk
Vick
AD

A Perfect Score
09-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Desean Jackson is probably my favorite non-Raven in the league, I'll tune into an Eagles game just to watch him torch a corner a few times. You can't put a price on that kind of speed. Obviously a guy like CJ2K has the same effect, and I still love watching the elite MLB's play on the chance that they level a receiver coming across the middle. And Julius Peppers, always loved watching him play defense, especially with the way teams can use him in almost any situation.

tjsunstein
09-25-2011, 10:38 AM
A 250 pound running back that hurdles every defender in sight? Nope!

Edit: the thread is titled "must see players". So it's not that i've never seen it. it's that Blount running the ball is a "must see" moment...

Brian Leonard does the same exact thing, though. Therefore he's really not one of a kind, and what he does isn't that special or unique or perfected like much of the others mentioned.

cmarq83
09-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Brian Leonard does the same exact thing, though. Therefore he's really not one of a kind, and what he does isn't that special or unique or perfected like much of the others mentioned.

Exactly, to me if you're a 250lb running back you shouldn't be hurdling 190lb DB's, just run right through them. Either way you're getting tackled 1-2 yards down the field so what is so special about hurdling someone? Man the F up and lower your shoulder. Peyton Hillis hurdles people too but far more often runs through people. I'd rather watch him than Blount.

Breed
09-25-2011, 10:59 AM

You don't disagree with the guy that said BJGE, or the one that said Rob Gronkowski, but you disagree wit me? Typical Packer fans... lol

tjsunstein
09-25-2011, 11:15 AM
You don't disagree with the guy that said BJGE, or the one that said Rob Gronkowski, but you disagree wit me? Typical Packer fans... lol
I do disagree with BJGE, but Gronkowski is legitimately on his way to being the by far best TE in the game. Even then, it's borderline must see just because he's the best at his position. Blount and BJGE aren't the best at anything they do.

What is a typical Packers fan anyway? Please give me your broad definition for a 'Packers Fan' that will most likely be applicable to any and all fans.

I'd say typical Eagles fan making outlandish comments and not supporting them with anything but I have too much respect for the other Eagles' fans that actually put a tiny bit of thought into their posts.

TheBoyWonder22
09-25-2011, 12:04 PM
I do disagree with BJGE, but Gronkowski is legitimately on his way to being the by far best TE in the game. Even then, it's borderline must see just because he's the best at his position. Blount and BJGE aren't the best at anything they do.

What is a typical Packers fan anyway? Please give me your broad definition for a 'Packers Fan' that will most likely be applicable to any and all fans.

I'd say typical Eagles fan making outlandish comments and not supporting them with anything but I have too much respect for the other Eagles' fans that actually put a tiny bit of thought into their posts.
I guess you didn't read my post. I never said he was the best at anything I just like the way he runs. It's fun to watch.

Ravens1991
09-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Torrey Smith 3 career catches 3 TDs.

M.O.T.H.
09-25-2011, 04:09 PM
wrong thread