PDA

View Full Version : SuperPacker 2012 Mock Draft 1.0 w/commentary

SuperPacker
09-24-2011, 12:30 PM
1. Seattle Seahawks, Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

There is no way Luck isnt going to be the number one pick and all thats left to be decided is who gets him. At the moment its looking as though Seattle is going to win the 'Andrew Luck Sweepstakes' as Tavaris Jackson is a poor excuse for a quarterback and the Seahawks are void of playmakers on both sides of the ball. Right now the only other team that looks capable of beating Seattle to get Luck is Kansas City and if that were to happen the Seahawks could go for anyone but the main options would be Barkley, Coples and Kalil.

2. Kansas City Chiefs, Matt Barkley, QB, USC

Now Matt Barkley is no Andrew Luck but hes not a bad consolation prize for a team that looks destined for either 1st or 2nd in the 2012 draft. Barkley would be a big improvement over Matt Cassell who has led the Chiefs to an amazing 10 points in his first two games. Unlike the Seahawks, Kansas actaully has some good players on their team but unfortunatley , or fortunately for them, they are all out injured. Berry and Charles their two best players are both on IR so it only seems fair that Seattle gets Luck and the Cheifs get Barkley because no doubt about it Seattle has a worse team. If something incredible were to happen and the Chiefs werent bad enough to land Barkley or Luck they would probably go for Kalil and look for him to sure up their dodgy offensive line.

3. Indianapolis Colts, Matt Kalil, OT, USC

A lot of people have drafted Landry Jones to the Colts here but what sort of message would that be sending the loyal fans who still have faith in '18'? What sort of message would it send to Peyton himself who just signed a huge contract with the Colts keeping him in Indianapolis for the rest of his career? Instead i see them looking to protect the 'franchise' when hes back by moving last years 1st round pick Anthony Costanzo to right tackle and keeping Kalil on his natural left side. obviously the colts could choose to ignore my superior wisdom by going for Jones but i dont think they wil.

4. Jacksonville Jaguars, Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma St.

When your rookie quarterback is looking round for someone to throw too and the best reciever he sees is Mike Thomas you know you have a problem. Balne Gabbert isn't the most accuarte quarterback you'll ever see, but how do you fix that? You draft a beast of a WR who can catch anything that is thrown anywhere near him! Justin Blackmon is a tank, say no more. I like to call him 'A not as rich mans Andre Johnson' as he has the ability to set this league alight.

5. Denver Broncos, Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

This was a hard one for me as it came down to two guys. Quinton Coples or Richardson. In the end I went for Richardson because John Fox is a run first guy and it must be killing him in Denver that is two back are Moreno and McGahee, neither are good enough to be featured backs in the NFL and thats where Richardson enters the picture. I see him as a Adrian Peterson type running back who could be the face of the franchise for years to come. If not Richardson I expect Coples would be the one because opposite Elvis Dummervil they don't have much of a pass rush and once Miller, Bailey and their stud DE get back from injury this could be a very good defense. Add Coples to that list and Denver could be a tricky team to face.

6. Cleveland Browns, Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

Last year the Browns drafted Phil Taylor and Jabaal Sheard to help their terrible DL but it still lacks enough quality to consistently get to the QB or effectively stop the run. Coples would slip right into the front four and would go along way to help both the Browns pass and run defense. If Coples is off the board look for them to go for one of the two elite wide recievers. Either Alshon Jeffery or Justin Blackmon would be the pick if Cleveland didnt go for the defensie line. Unless Atlanta wants to trade up and lose a million picks to get either one of two recievers.

7. Minnesota Vikings, Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina

The Vikings lost Sydney Rice in free agency this year which leaves them with Percy Harvin as their number 1 wideout. Harvin may be a good receiver but he is not a go-to-guy that you can rely on throughout a game. Once Ponder gets the keys to steer the Vikings in the right direction he is going to need an elite receiver who he can trust with his life and Jeffery is that guy. If not Jeffery then Jonathan Martin will probably be the pick as Minnesota do have a problem on the offensive line and martin is capable of stepping in straight away and making an impact.

8. Cincinnati Bengals, Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

I really wanted to draft Alshon Jeffery here just because a Green, Jeffery combo would be unplayable but firstly I don't think Jeffery is going to be available and more importantly I don't think Marvin lewis would be willing to give up two top 10 picks for receivers in back to back drafts. Anyway the pick is Martin who would slot right in and give Andy Dalton a bit more time to throw the ball to A.J Green.

9. Carolina Panthers, Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

When your rookie quarterback throws for 400 yards in his first two games and you lose both games you know either you were hugely unlucky or your defense isn't good enough. In Carolina's case its the latter so going defense in the 2012 draft will be a priority for the defensive minded Ron Riviera. Kirkpatrick is the best player available here so this pick pretty much picks itself.

10. San Francisco 49ers, Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma

Jim Harbaugh is a QB guy. It must be killing him knowing that their supposed 'Quarterback of the future' is Colin Kaepernick. I'm not saying he is a bad player, but he is nowhere near ready enough to be a franchise quarterback, however Landry Jones is and he could come in and be better than Alex Smith from day one. The NFC West is starting to look competitive with Luck, Bradford and Jones all young QB's who have the potential to be great.

11. Miami Dolphins, Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa

Another year where the Dolphins will be left with Chad Henne as the quarterback? Surely not. I'm thinking Miami will probably try and pull off a trade and get either Barkley or Jones but I'm not predicting trades so they are stuck with Reiff who will play opposite Long and sure up the Dolphins offensive line.

12. Buffalo Bills, Devin Taylor, OLB/DE, South Carolina

In the 2011 draft the Bills did a great job of getting Marcel Dareus who fills a hole on the defensive line but Buffalo still has a gap at OLB where they need a player that can get to the quarterback. Devin Taylor might not your typical pass rushing OLB at 6'7 and 260 pounds but neither was Aldon Smith and he has settled to life quickly in San Francisco. Getting Taylor would go a long way to helping the Bills improving defense.

13. Oakland Raiders, Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska

I would of drafted Janoris Jenkins here if it weren't for his off field issues because the Raiders need a corner to replace Nnamdi and he could be the choice if hes sorted himself out by next April. For now the pick is Crick who could do a good job in Oakland's 3-4 defense next to Richard Seymour.

14. Arizona Cardinals, Donte Paige-Moss, OLB/DE, North Carolina

Things are starting to look up a bit for Arizona. Kevin Kolb has looked good in his first two games, Patrick Peterson is a future stud at corner and now they just need a decent pass rush. Paige-Moss has the potential to be a very good player in the NFL and hes just what the Cardinals need.

15. Tennessee Titans, Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigam St.

Remember last year when everyone thought the Titans were going to get Nick Fairley? Well they shocked everyone and got Jake Locker, the guy who cant throw a ball straight at the 8th pick overall. Oh well, they have their QB so now they can go and get a DT that can make an impact. Jerel Worthy is work in progress but has the potential to be a good starter in this league.

16. New York Giants, Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona St.

The Giants did a good job last year getting Prince Amukamara and Marvin Austin in the first two rounds of the 2011 draft but they still have a hole at Linebacker and Burfict is the sort of talent that could come in and do a great job. They could also go for a WR like Michael Floyd because other than Nicks they are lacking a go-to-guy.

17. Washington Redskins, Manti T'eo, ILB, Notre Dame

London Fletcher is getting very, very old and they could also use and upgrade next to him. Manti is a beast who could go much higher than 17th in the 2012 draft. If not a linebacker I could see the Redskins going for Michael Floyd, or a corner like Jenkins or Dennard.

18. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska

This pick hurts me! Dennard isn't as good as Amukamara and Amukamara went 18th in the 2011 draft. So how can Dennard get drafted at the same place as Prince? Because Tampa bay needs a corner and Janoris Jenkins would be a huge risk considering their other corner Aquib Talib has enough problems as it is.

19. Dallas Cowboys, Janoris Jenkins, CB, Florida

Is this the year Dallas finally do well? No. But what do you expect when your two corners are Terrance Newman and Mike Jenkins. Newman was past it 2 years ago and Jenkins has flopped so badly its embarrassing. The cowboys took a risk on Dez Bryant and i can see them doing the same with Jenkins.

20. Cleveland Browns (f/Atlanta), Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

I really like this pick because it means the Browns fill there two main needs with two great value picks. Floyd is top 10 talent when hes not being stupid off the field so if he sorts himself out he could be a steal! They drafted Greg Little last year but hes more of a work in progress and Floyd could step in and start straight away. If not WR I expect a DT like Brandon Thompson.

21. St Louis Rams, Brandon Thompson DT,
Virginia

It came down to two names for me here. Brandon Thompson or Chase Minnifield, but Thompson just gets the nod. They got Robert Quinn last year and now they have Thompson who will help the run defense that hasn't looked great so far this year.

22. Detroit Lions, Nate Potter, OT, Boise St.

Finally the Lions get their tackle? For the Lions sake I hope they do because Stafford is just going to keep on getting beat up until they get someone better than Jeff Backus. Potter is a bit like 2011's Nate Solder and he has had a very promising start to his New England career. Chase Minnifield could be the pick here as well.

23. Chicago Bears, Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia

Cutler has been sacked 11 times so far in the first two games! Even after adding Gabe Carimi the OL is still really poor and they will have to do something about it. I can't see how the Bears don't go OL in the first round of 2012.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers, Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia
The Steelers have had problems at cornerback for a quite a while now and maybe 2012 is the year they will look to address it. Ike Taylor is getting on a bit and some youth is needed. They could also look at FS and go for someone like T.J McDonald or maybe ILB with Luke Kuechly.

25. Philadelphia Eagles, Luke, Kuechly, ILB, Boston College

The Eagles went mental in free agency signing the likes of Nnamdi, DRC and Cullen Jenkins but they still have more questions than answers at all linebacker positions. If they did go for Kuechly they could move Matthews outside and plug the Boston College 'backer into ILB.

26. Baltimore Ravens, Michael Brewster, C, Ohio St.

The Ravens need depth on the offensive line and will need a replacement for Matt Birk soon. They could also use a tight end to replace Todd Heap and would be in the market for a ILB if one was to be available.

27. San Diego Chargers, Brandon Jenkins, OLB, Florida St.

San Diego's main problem last year was pass rush and to an extent they fixed it by getting Corey Liuget to play as a 3-4 DE, they still need a 3-4 OLB to play opposite Phillips though and Jenkins can be that guy.

28. New York Jets, Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama

Is this the year the Jets finally get the pass rusher they have been looking for? I think it is and Upshaw is a great player to play opposite Calvin Pace and generate consistent pass rush. T.J McDonald will also be considered but OLB is more important.

29. Houston Texans, T.J McDonald, S, USC

Jonathan Joseph has had a good start to his career as a Texan but there are still question marks at safety so McDonald would slot right in and help Houston's secondary get even better.

30. Indianapolis Colts (f/New England,f/New Orleans), Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina

I said I wasn't doing trades but its almost a forgone conclusion that New England wont be drafting at both 31st and 30th overall. Anyway, Indianapolis need an OLB and Zach Brown could come in and start straight away. This is a good value pick and it will help the Colts poor run defense.

31. New England, Bruce Irvin, OLB/DE, West Virginia

Cunningham has looked promising at one of the Pats outside linebacker positions, but opposite him there isn't much to speak of. Thats were Irvin enters and he will be told to generate a pass rush from day one.

32. Green Bay Packers, Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama

Yes the mighty Packers will repeat!! At inside linebacker Green Bay have two solid starters in Bishop and Hawk but in the pre season they lost Chillar and Barnett and now any depth at ILB is non existent. A 3-4 DE and OLB are still big needs at the moment.

Hurricanes25
09-24-2011, 12:40 PM
The Jets really could use a pass rusher so Upshaw is a good pick.

Braves225
09-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Will Blackmon was already drafted back in '06.

SuperPacker
09-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Hahaha my bad ;) changed it now.

Braves225
09-24-2011, 12:55 PM
There's no reason for the Bengals to go Martin, they just signed Whitworth to an extension and Andre Smith is kind of young. Otherwise I like the rest of it.

Braves225
09-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Just helping, you also said Will Blackmon in the first Browns pick :)

SuperPacker
09-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Just helping, you also said Will Blackmon in the first Browns pick :)

Oh god!! Dont know why i was putting 'Will' :D

Braves225
09-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Oh god!! Dont know why i was putting 'Will' :D

Haha, it happens.

Unbiased
09-24-2011, 01:09 PM
There's no reason for the Bengals to go Martin, they just signed Whitworth to an extension and Andre Smith is kind of young. Otherwise I like the rest of it.

I think for whatever reason, some people refuse to believe that Andrew Whitworth is a great LT.

Babylon
09-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Love the Luck pick being from the Seattle area. I like how a DE/OLB is always slotted to N.E. then BB goes in a differant direction, this year wont be any differant.

RaiderNation
09-24-2011, 01:27 PM
You must not watch a lot of Raiders football, we dont run a 3-4. I love Crick as a prospect but the Raiders have holes at other positions than at dline. A WLB like Zach Brown would be perfect for us, CB needs help but we just drafted 2 CB's back to back so I think we will sign a vet in the off season, and depending on how our run defense holds up the rest of the season I could see us drafting a big run stuffer like Alameda Ta'amu even though he would be a huge reach at this point

Babylon
09-24-2011, 01:32 PM
You must not watch a lot of Raiders football, we dont run a 3-4. I love Crick as a prospect but the Raiders have holes at other positions than at dline. A WLB like Zach Brown would be perfect for us, CB needs help but we just drafted 2 CB's back to back so I think we will sign a vet in the off season, and depending on how our run defense holds up the rest of the season I could see us drafting a big run stuffer like Alameda Ta'amu even though he would be a huge reach at this point

Agree on Ta'amu being a serious reach at that point.

Watching Crick play a lot inside in the Nebraska vs Washington game i'm not worried about him fitting in there. I think he could play a 4-3 or 3-4 end and then on passing downs either way you could probably move him inside. Not sure if he should go quite that high but not worried about him fitting in with any type of defense.

cmarq83
09-24-2011, 01:39 PM
31. New England, Bruce Irvin, OLB/DE, West Virginia

Cunningham has looked promising at one of the Pats outside linebacker positions, but opposite him there isn't much to speak of. Thats were Irvin enters and he will be told to generate a pass rush from day one.

Not a bad pick, FYI though the Patriots switched to a 4-3 scheme and Jermaine Cunningham is a reserve DE now. Irvin might be a little small to set the edge in this scheme, but he is certainly what the team needs in terms of a pass rusher. Wouldn't mind Irvin, and I'm also very intrigued by Melvin Ingram in that late first area. What do you have the Colts trading the Patriots for that Saints pick?

vidae
09-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Solid KC pick. Obviously I'd prefer to be picking first but I'd take Barkley.

SuperPacker
09-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Not a bad pick, FYI though the Patriots switched to a 4-3 scheme and Jermaine Cunningham is a reserve DE now. Irvin might be a little small to set the edge in this scheme, but he is certainly what the team needs in terms of a pass rusher. Wouldn't mind Irvin, and I'm also very intrigued by Melvin Ingram in that late first area. What do you have the Colts trading the Patriots for that Saints pick?

I reckon if Manning was too come back and be fine i think a 2013 1st rounder and their 2012 2nd rounder would be needed. If Manning is forced to retire i think the 2013 1st and a 2012 3rd.

Pat Sims 90
09-24-2011, 05:45 PM
The Bengals have already drafted a RT in the Top 10. Kirkpatrick for the Bengals because Nate Clements is awful.

49erNation85
09-24-2011, 08:41 PM
gr at the QB pick for SF.Should be looking at WR or more CB.

SuperPacker
09-25-2011, 10:12 AM
gr at the QB pick for SF.Should be looking at WR or more CB.

What you think Alex Smith or Colin Kaepernick are good enough?

prock
09-26-2011, 08:57 AM
I would rather see the VIkings take Martin than a WR. I'm not entirely sold on Jeffry either.

Matthew Jones
09-29-2011, 04:27 PM
I couldn't see New England trading with Indianapolis, they're far too hated. It's impossible to imagine Bill Polian and Bill Belichick being able to establish any sort of working relationship. And Irvin is way too small for Belichick's tastes.

WT01
09-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Right now the only other team that looks capable of beating Seattle to get Luck is Kansas City and if that were to happen the Seahawks could go for anyone but the main options would be Barkley, Coples and Kalil.

(Mentioning this since I think the Seahawks will finish around 5-11, so around five or six) Er, if the Seahawks would never choose Kalil with their first round pick. They're pretty much set at the tackle spot. If they were on the clock and Luck, Coples and Barkely were gone, then they'd probably pick Kirkpatrick or Richardson or Burfict. Pretty sure that Kalil and the other tackles would be about last on their list.

K Train
09-30-2011, 03:02 PM
chase minnifield makes me feel all tingly

Menardo75
09-30-2011, 04:27 PM
I really don't see San Fran going QB in the first not after trading up to get Kap this year. CB is by far the most pressing need.

Rabscuttle
10-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Gabbert to Blackmon - bringing the bubble screen to Jacksonville with a vengeance. He could have 100 catches for 87 yards as a rookie.

CK was Harbaugh's pick so it probably isn't "killing him" He's very much a developmental guy with a lot to like.

CashmoneyDrew
10-01-2011, 10:51 AM
a) I'm kind of disappointed in the Titans pick
- We drafted 3 DTs in this past draft and two of them are playing extremely well right now. We have bigger needs on defense at LB and SS
b) No David DeCastro?
c) Seeing Tom Coughlin's head explode weekly coaching Vontaze Burfict would be entertainment gold, but I highly doubt the G-Men would draft him for that very reason.

Rosebud
10-01-2011, 05:24 PM
I'd love Burflict. Boley-Burlfict-Williams would be a monstrous LB corps that could just fly all over the field. Not sure how much a WR who isn't Steve Smith smart would help. Our issue this year is the lack of a slot guy who understands this offense and can work the middle of the field. Cruz, Mario and Jernigan all have the potential to become that guy but not one of them knows the scheme well enough right now both Mario and Cruz have had success on the outside, so if one of them becomes our new slot guy we're pretty set at WR. It really is the scheme fit issue that's our biggest problem and that's one that takes time because of how stupidly complex it is.