PDA

View Full Version : Devon Still, DT, Penn St

TheFinisher
09-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Haven't seen a thread on him yet but he's been impressive so far this year. I figured he was a 3rd Rounder or so going into the season but I imagine he's risen his stock since then. 6-5 311, he has ideal size for a 5-tech but I think he's athletic enough to also be a good 3-tech. He seems to be making plays in the backfield every week, anyone else on the Still bandwagon?

Hines
09-24-2011, 01:23 PM
He's always had the talent, just couldn't put it all together. Also had quite the injury past his first few years in college.

underscore
09-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Things finally clicked for him in bowl practice last winter. He's played very well so far.

TheFinisher
10-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Bump.

I think at this point he has to be considered a 1st Rounder and is making a strong case that he's the best interior lineman in college football. He's so big and powerful that he can pretty much walk guards into the Quarterback's face on passing downs, yet he's still quick enough where he'll beat you off the snap and smack the runningback in the backfield on running plays. He's the main reason why Penn State's defense is playing like a top 5 unit in the country.

Unbiased
10-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Bump.

I think at this point he has to be considered a 1st Rounder and is making a strong case that he's the best interior lineman in college football. He's so big and powerful that he can pretty much walk guards into the Quarterback's face on passing downs, yet he's still quick enough where he'll beat you off the snap and smack the runningback in the backfield on running plays. He's the main reason why Penn State's defense is playing like a top 5 unit in the country.

He and Jordan Hill are awesome together up front. He could be the Jared Crick of this draft since Crick is injured.

JBCX
10-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Devon Still is a great run-stuffing DT but I just don't see the quickness and explosiveness to offer much in the passing game.

I'd give him a 2nd round grade. He could be a solid player for either a 4-3 or 3-4 team, but I don't see anything elite.

TheFinisher
10-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Devon Still is a great run-stuffing DT but I just don't see the quickness and explosiveness to offer much in the passing game.

I'd give him a 2nd round grade. He could be a solid player for either a 4-3 or 3-4 team, but I don't see anything elite.

He's been making impact plays in the backfield every week(9 TFLs and 2 Sacks), what do you see that makes you think he lacks explosiveness?

I don't think he's in Nick Fairley or Ndamukong Suh's league as far as quickness off the snap, but few are.

JBCX
10-14-2011, 03:26 PM
I've seen nearly every Penn State game thus far and while I've noticed that Still has excellent ability to disengage from blocks during run plays,which enables him to make alot of TFLs, he lacks the quickness and ability to "get skinny" and slip through gaps in pass protection on pass plays.

In the NFL, he'll be a 4-3 NT charged with stopping the run and occasionally falling into a few sacks, or he'll be a 3-4 DE that does the same thing. Now, he has the potential to be just a very solid player in that role, but I don't see him as a top-20 type of prospect. Decent value in the lower part of the first round for a team looking for a 4-3 NT or 3-4 DE, and excellent value in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Overdrafted at anything higher than #20, however.

TheFinisher
10-14-2011, 03:37 PM
I agree that he needs to be either a NT in the 4-3 or a a 5tech in the 3-4, he's probably the best 5tech prospect in the country so that's why I think he'll fall somewhere in the top 25. He needs to improve as a pass rusher and I'd like to see him incorporate some additional moves instead of just bull rushing 90% of the time, but he's done a pretty good job of collapsing the pocket that way. He'll be a guy who doesn't rack up a ton of sacks individually at the next level but will be responsible for a lot of teammates' sacks, disruption can come in different ways.

If he maintains this level of play there's no way he falls outside of the top 40, let alone Round 3.

JBCX
10-15-2011, 06:59 AM
All that having been said, if I see him dominate the rest of the season, especially against solid O-Lines such as Wisconsin's, I will probably end up bumping him up to my #1 DT spot on my Big Board, due in no small part to a weak DT class in 2012.

Being #1 DT in this class on most Big Boards (highly possible if Jerel Worthy continues to bore and Still continues to impress) will probably make him a sure-fire first rounder.

JBCX
10-29-2011, 08:32 PM
He was really solid today against Illinois. Got a sack a few TFLs, and consistently controlled the line of scrimmage for Penn State.

underscore
10-30-2011, 02:45 PM
10 tackles, 3.5 TFL, 1 sack.

Hines
10-30-2011, 03:47 PM
I think Still is a top 25 prospect when it is all said and done. Dude has been dominant this year.

JBCX
10-30-2011, 09:52 PM
I think Still is a top 25 prospect when it is all said and done. Dude has been dominant this year.

If he slips into the 2nd round it will be a crime.

He's the most dominant DT in this year's draft class.

DeathbyStat
10-31-2011, 12:03 PM
I think he will be a second rounder because of questions of health and production. Some what of a one year wonder. If he blows up the combine he could go late in the first round.

I like him as 4-3 DT..........

JBCX
10-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Nick Fairley was a one year wonder with motivation / production concerns and was widely considered a worthy of being a top-5 pick.

I basically see the same skillset from Still. Still is bigger at 6'5" 310+ lbs too, so he has even more physical upside than Fairley.

bruschis4all
10-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Still is a very hard-worker off of the field. His ACL injury was 4 years ago 07. Not sure that's an issue. Broke tibia in Aug 08 right before the season. Couldn't be red-shirted. But, he busted his butt to play and got back on the field very late in 08 season and Rose Bowl. Who knows about these medicals. But, sure as heck doesn't look like his knee is an issue any more.