PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech

SeanTaylorRIP
09-25-2011, 10:41 AM
I'd like to know others thoughts of him as he's having a Demaryius type season so far. Of course he's a tough one to break down given his offensive system and the lack of pro routes he runs but IMO on physical tools alone he's a top 100 pick which ever year he is in the draft. He reminds me some of Braylon Edwards. Tall guy who is tough to bring down, and is just as likely to make a highlight wow catch as he is to make a horrible drop. I see flashes of brilliant ball skills but last year in particular he just drops easy passes. I think it will be interesting to see where he goes if he declares this year. If he has a 1000 yard year this year there really is no point in staying another year as there is nothing more he can prove in the GAtech option system.

Ozzy
09-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Yeah this kid is sick, he is WAY better than Demaryius Thomas. Much faster, more fluid on the field, this kid is a great looking prospect, big time receiver! Sure his statistics are inflated because of the lack of coverage at times, but he is faster and more athletic and Thomas was, and one could argue he is just a skinny version of Calvin Johnson, with probably worse hands than Johnson but arguably comparable speed.

YAYareaRB
09-25-2011, 09:53 PM
it always amazes me how triple option teams get a WR out on the radar.

jrdrylie
09-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Yeah this kid is sick, he is WAY better than Demaryius Thomas. Much faster, more fluid on the field, this kid is a great looking prospect, big time receiver! Sure his statistics are inflated because of the lack of coverage at times, but he is faster and more athletic and Thomas was, and one could argue he is just a skinny version of Calvin Johnson, with probably worse hands than Johnson but arguably comparable speed.

I don't think he is going to come close to running a 4.34 or whatever CJ ran.

BamaFalcon59
09-26-2011, 12:58 AM
He's not way better than Demaryius Thomas. He's not even better. It's doubful he goes in round one a la Thomas and Thomas put up insane numbers considering GT passed the ball far less during his tenure there and had a glorified RB/FB at QB in Nesbitt (although he was monsterous in that option).

Demaryius was fast as hell to boot at 6'3" 230.

During Thomas' junior year, he had 46 receptions for 1,154 yards and 8 touchdowns.

For comparisons sake, Tevin Washington has 42 attempts and 821 yards thus far in the season and GT has been out way ahead in three of its four games. Josh Nesbitt, in 2009, had 1,701 yards and 10 touchdowns passing.

Ozzy
09-27-2011, 07:55 AM
He's not way better than Demaryius Thomas. He's not even better. It's doubful he goes in round one a la Thomas and Thomas put up insane numbers considering GT passed the ball far less during his tenure there and had a glorified RB/FB at QB in Nesbitt (although he was monsterous in that option).

Demaryius was fast as hell to boot at 6'3" 230.

During Thomas' junior year, he had 46 receptions for 1,154 yards and 8 touchdowns.

For comparisons sake, Tevin Washington has 42 attempts and 821 yards thus far in the season and GT has been out way ahead in three of its four games. Josh Nesbitt, in 2009, had 1,701 yards and 10 touchdowns passing.If he comes back for his senior season he will go round 1 I think. He could sneak into late 1st round if he comes out this year, but would be wise to stay.

Statistics do not tell it all, sure Nesbitt was an awful quarterback but Washington is not that much better of a passer, but the offense they play both players have distorted statistics so I just throw that out the window.

I feel Hill is a more fluid and natural athlete, less bulky and quicker. Did you not see the one handed catch he had against UNC? Kid is a player and if he sticks around another year he could become even better I feel.

Buc Baller12
02-13-2012, 10:48 PM
can i get an anlysis on hill? very intriguing too me

TitansCJftw
02-13-2012, 11:18 PM
do not like and still don't like thomas or anybody at skill positions coming from this crapshoot offense, bring in 6'5"ish wr run go routes get 1000 yards off of complete bs, bring in 230lb or 5'5" 160lb rb get 1000+ yards with an amazing ypc complete crap no way in hell to actually judge talent

norcalgsr
02-14-2012, 12:37 AM
Great fit in San Diego, where all they run are go routes.

ellsy82
02-14-2012, 01:15 AM
I wouldn't say he's SICK. He's a big play WR that when actually GETS targeted...comes up for big plays. His lack of production this last year concerns me, but he's a player.

TACKLE
02-14-2012, 03:03 AM
I wouldn't say he's SICK. He's a big play WR that when actually GETS targeted...comes up for big plays. His lack of production this last year concerns me, but he's a player.

Lack of production? He had 820 yards a lead the nation with 29.3 yards per catch in an offense that only completed just over 6 passes a game.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-14-2012, 09:37 AM
I said this in the Alshon thread, but I have the two of them very, very close.

Brown Leader
02-14-2012, 06:55 PM
can i get an anlysis on hill? very intriguing too me

He's a skinny Brandon Marshall with just as much upside imo.

A Perfect Score
02-14-2012, 07:31 PM
I really like the idea of him in San Diego. That's a very, very good fit. Especially if they lose Jackson.

Duffman57
02-14-2012, 08:15 PM
I really like the idea of him in San Diego. That's a very, very good fit. Especially if they lose Jackson.

I'd be ok with him in the 2nd/3rd if we lose Jackson, and add a lesser guy like Meachem or something like that.

JohnCandy
02-19-2012, 10:11 AM
The issue that I have seen is that if I am a team picking WR in the 2nd round I do not see a ton of WRs with #1 potential.

Marvin McNutt
Dwight Jones
Nick Toon
Mo Sanu

The above guys all look like career #2 WRs and I do not see #1 WR potential.

Stephen Hill
Brian Quick

While raw they look like they could be impact players in the NFL.

JohnCandy
02-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Height: 6-4”
Weight: 215lbs
Arms: 33’ 3/8”
Hands: 9’3/8”
Forty: 4.30 & 4.31 (NFL says official time was 4.36)
Bench: 14 reps
Board: 11’10”
Vertical: 39.5”

Was outstanding in the drills & came across well in his NFL Network interview & his game tape shows he carries his athleticism to the field & plays with toughness…

SuperPacker
02-26-2012, 04:12 PM

unlucky jrdylie ;)

Larry
02-26-2012, 04:20 PM
I really hope the Pats don't some how get this kid.

JohnCandy
02-26-2012, 04:24 PM
http://seahawksdraftblog.com/stephen-hill-wr-georgia-tech-game-tape

Vaylor
02-26-2012, 04:42 PM

Agreed. Im tired of this team drafting the 'High-Upside Project Receiver' and cutting him 2-3 years later because they can't learn the system.

descendency
02-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Agreed. Im tired of this team drafting the 'High-Upside Project Receiver' and cutting him 2-3 years later because they can't learn the system.

He could run just 9 routes and be Randy Moss. If he's available at the bottom of the second, I'd do it in a heart beat.

JohnCandy
02-26-2012, 05:00 PM
He could run just 9 routes and be Randy Moss. If he's available at the bottom of the second, I'd do it in a heart beat.

I doubt a guy with this upside makes it out of the top 40 picks.

If he shows he can catch passes from a real QB and cleanly at his Pro Day to confirm the combine results he could fly up like Demaryius Thomas.

Poz51
02-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Height: 6-4”
Weight: 215lbs
Arms: 33’ 3/8”
Hands: 9’3/8”
Forty: 4.30 & 4.31 (NFL says official time was 4.36)
Bench: 14 reps
Board: 11’10”
Vertical: 39.5”

Was outstanding in the drills & came across well in his NFL Network interview & his game tape shows he carries his athleticism to the field & plays with toughness…

I think he put himself in the first round, I like him to the Pat's if he makes it to them.

This is what I thought watching him on the NFL network. I doubt he makes it past Buffalo in the second right now (perfect fit IMO, with Gailey's offense). What about the first round, I think he is exactly what they need to open up that offense fully.

Poz51
02-26-2012, 05:05 PM
I doubt a guy with this upside makes it out of the top 40 picks.

If he shows he can catch passes from a real QB and cleanly at his Pro Day to confirm the combine results he could fly up like Demaryius Thomas.

I agree completely.

JohnCandy
02-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Risers

Stephen Hill/WR/Georgia Tech: Hill is proving he's the next big-time receiver prospect to come from the Georgia Tech program. He was super fast in the morning, moving his 215-pound frame to 40 times in the mid 4.3-second range. His broad jump of 11 feet, 1 inch was just three inches shy of the combine record. During the pass-catching segment Hill displayed terrific eye/hand coordination and consistently caught the ball with his hands as scouts demanded. Hill's route running was better than expected and he showed terrific balance in all his movements. His performance at the combine pushes Hill into the early part of Round 2.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/02/26/combine.wr.te/index.html#ixzz1nX3JEvQJ

norcalgsr
02-26-2012, 05:14 PM
I compare him to Malcom Floyd with his body control and ball skills.

Worse case scenario, Hill could be everything we wanted from Heyward-Bay and more.

SuperPacker
02-26-2012, 05:24 PM
He could go to the Bears at #19.

brat316
02-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Has he been playing at that 4.4 level all year?

regoob2
02-26-2012, 05:41 PM

He could go #1 to the Colts but neither one would be a good idea.

akvikefan89
02-26-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm eying him as a possibility for my Vikings at the top of round 2. His size/speed combo is exactly what this offense needs.

Caulibflower
02-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Aww. He misses Randy.

FUNBUNCHER
02-26-2012, 07:53 PM
I think Stephen Hill is gonna be taken early, like no later than the 25th pick in the 1st.

Yeah it's too high based on his production and skillset and he's completely raw, but how many times does a prospect come along who physically reminds you of Randy Moss??

EDIT:

Streeter will also be overdrafted because guys with that kind of speed/height combo are rare.

brat316
02-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Streeter doesn't look at all like he played with that speed. Travis Ben does, even Stephen Hill more so.

Hopefully the Vikings to pull a Troy Willmason and draft him in the first. He should go in the second just as Quick will.

descendency
02-26-2012, 08:13 PM
This is what I thought watching him on the NFL network. I doubt he makes it past Buffalo in the second right now (perfect fit IMO, with Gailey's offense). What about the first round, I think he is exactly what they need to open up that offense fully.

0% chance Bill Belichick drafts a less than 3 down player in round 1 and no WR will ever be a 3 down player as a rookie in the Patriots O.

ChiFan24
02-26-2012, 08:15 PM

..Agreed..

ChiFan24
02-26-2012, 08:17 PM
He could go #1 to the Colts but neither one would be a good idea.

Except one of those two things is realistic.

bengalbuck
02-26-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm intrigued by this guy as an option for the Bengals.

While some may argue that AJ Green is the "deep threat" and the Bengals really need more of a possession type guy as the #2 (like a Sanu or someone of that ilk), I think a case can be made that with a deep threat opposite of AJ, Green can become the 100+ type guy that is both a deep threat and all around guy as well.

Anyway, very intriguing to think of Hill on one side, AJ on the other and Jermaine Gresham/Jordan Shipley with a lot of space in the middle of the field.

prock
02-26-2012, 10:32 PM
I'll take him in Minnesota round 2.

ChiFan24
02-26-2012, 10:34 PM
I've come to learn that the number one sign someone is going in round 1 is when literally everyone in a thread says they'll take him in round 2. He's going round 1.

brat316
02-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Round 3 still.

keylime_5
02-26-2012, 10:54 PM
he should go in round 3. some team will get ****** eyes over his combine and take him way higher.

bucfan12
02-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Hill played in a run heavy offense. Watch some film on this guy. Sure he blew up the combine, but those skills shown he translated it on the field in game play. He catches everything with his hands, can make difficult catches, is a redzone target.

I compare him to a faster version of Brandon Marshall with better hands.

ChiFan24
02-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Not seeing what makes this guy any different than DeMaryius Thomas.

bengalbuck
02-26-2012, 11:31 PM
Not seeing what makes this guy any different than DeMaryius Thomas.

Seem like different body types to me.

Thomas is a really thick guy. He's not quite as big, but sort of has that TO build http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/files/2010/02/slideshow_1393708_gtechfoot.1129_JC7.jpg

Hill looks a lot leaner and longer arms and legs. More of the Randy Moss type build.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/3173508/128791020_extra_large.jpg

Kind of comparing the 2 in that regard, I think Hill has more potential as an elite deep threat/jump ball guy (like Moss). While Thomas seems more likely to be a better run after the catch guy who is really tough to tackle due to his combo of strength and speed (like TO).

ChiFan24
02-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Seem like different body types to me.

Thomas is a really thick guy. He's not quite as big, but sort of has that TO build (http://www.fantasyfootballfreaks.com/img/blog/269101122_204_Broncos_at_Chargers.jpg).

Hill looks a lot leaner and longer arms and legs. More of the Randy Moss type build.

Kind of comparing the 2 in that regard, I think Hill has more potential as an elite deep threat/jump ball guy (like Moss). While Thomas seems more likely to be a better run after the catch guy who is really tough to tackle due to his combo of strength and speed (like TO).

Eh, yeah, I didn't mean it quite like that. More just in the sense that they weren't huge parts of their offense and neither had much film besides a bunch of fly routes, but in the pre-draft process they clearly showed elite NFL talent. Thomas set a precedent that leads me to believe someone will take Hill in the first.

Miaoww
02-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Streeter doesn't look at all like he played with that speed. Travis Ben does, even Stephen Hill more so.

Hopefully the Vikings to pull a Troy Willmason and draft him in the first. He should go in the second just as Quick will.

Streeter was open deep all the time last year. He certainly played fast.

JohnCandy
02-27-2012, 08:21 AM
As a prospect coming into the draft what is the difference between Stephen Hill and Demaryius Thomas?

-How was Thomas ranked pre-combine?

-How was he ranked post combine?

H.O.O.D
02-27-2012, 08:44 AM
0% chance Bill Belichick drafts a less than 3 down player in round 1 and no WR will ever be a 3 down player as a rookie in the Patriots O.

Did BB not trade UP to the top half of round 2 for Chad Jackson ?

One could argue, that he got burned once so he won't make the same mistake twice, but I wouldn't buy it. If BB likes a guy enough he won't be afraid to pull the trigger even if he has been burned before.

That said I am not sold Hill is a first round choice still so I don't think NE takes him with either 1st rounder ATM.

georgiafan
02-27-2012, 08:49 AM
That isnt a 1st round need for the bengals but with the extra 1st round pick they could take him as BPA. Him and A.J would be a intresting pair and I think Dalton is the type of QB that you are gonna need to keep on putting weapons around.

I'm intrigued by this guy as an option for the Bengals.

While some may argue that AJ Green is the "deep threat" and the Bengals really need more of a possession type guy as the #2 (like a Sanu or someone of that ilk), I think a case can be made that with a deep threat opposite of AJ, Green can become the 100+ type guy that is both a deep threat and all around guy as well.

Anyway, very intriguing to think of Hill on one side, AJ on the other and Jermaine Gresham/Jordan Shipley with a lot of space in the middle of the field.

bucfan12
02-27-2012, 09:35 AM
As a prospect coming into the draft what is the difference between Stephen Hill and Demaryius Thomas?

-How was Thomas ranked pre-combine?

-How was he ranked post combine?

The only similarity of the 2 is they both came from Georgia Tech and a very "RUN HEAVY" offense.

Demaryious Thomas has shown to be a playmaker this past season. His 1st year and part of this year, he was slowed by injuries.

Back to Hill, he seems like a different WR and a better prospect in my opinion. GT doesn't throw the ball much. Watch the film. He has the strength and speed to get seperation and down the field. His verticle and height and ability to outleap defenders is very good and he is underrated for that. He has great hands and attacks the ball in the air.

JohnCandy
02-27-2012, 10:17 AM
The only similarity of the 2 is they both came from Georgia Tech and a very "RUN HEAVY" offense.

Demaryious Thomas has shown to be a playmaker this past season. His 1st year and part of this year, he was slowed by injuries.

Back to Hill, he seems like a different WR and a better prospect in my opinion. GT doesn't throw the ball much. Watch the film. He has the strength and speed to get seperation and down the field. His verticle and height and ability to outleap defenders is very good and he is underrated for that. He has great hands and attacks the ball in the air.

So you think that Hill is a better prospect than Thomas?

Does anyone remember how Thomas was rated?

Babylon
02-27-2012, 10:42 AM
I think Stephen Hill is gonna be taken early, like no later than the 25th pick in the 1st.

Yeah it's too high based on his production and skillset and he's completely raw, but how many times does a prospect come along who physically reminds you of Randy Moss??

EDIT:

Streeter will also be overdrafted because guys with that kind of speed/height combo are rare.

Production for Ga. Tech receivers usually has to be looked at in the context that their QBs just arent throwers.

Buc Baller12
02-27-2012, 10:44 AM

Hill isn't a better prospect compared to thomas. From what i remember Demaryius was the 2nd or 3rd ranked wideout in the 2010 draft. Was considered a late first or early 2nd. He didnt even participate in the combine and was still rated as a possible first rounder. The questions on thomas was his ability to run routes. Thomas was a raw prospect with high potential to be a #1 one day; Hill is even more rawer of a prospect than thomas when he came out

JohnCandy
02-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Hill isn't a better prospect compared to thomas. From what i remember Demaryius was the 2nd or 3rd ranked wideout in the 2010 draft. Was considered a late first or early 2nd. He didnt even participate in the combine and was still rated as a possible first rounder. The questions on thomas was his ability to run routes. Thomas was a raw prospect with high potential to be a #1 one day; Hill is even more rawer of a prospect than thomas when he came out

What made Thomas a better prospect?

What are the criticisms of Hill beyond route running?

keylime_5
02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Hill is about as raw as it gets, and while I think a large amount of that is the offense he played in - not having good concentration and dropping the ball as often as he did despite the fact that Georgia Tech doesn't throw that much is a red flag.

Iamcanadian
02-27-2012, 06:29 PM
From what I saw at the Combine, I won't be shocked to see Hill in Mayock's top 5 ahead of Wright, Randle and Jeffery and getting 1st round talk.
Sure, he is raw but you cannot train 6'4", 215lbs and 4.36 speed.

Babylon
02-27-2012, 07:22 PM
From what I saw at the Combine, I won't be shocked to see Hill in Mayock's top 5 ahead of Wright, Randle and Jeffery and getting 1st round talk.

Have you heard the guy talk. Seems like a class act. I think a lot of people just dont realize that system there. He isnt Calvin Johnson but even Calvin was hindered by those QBs they have there.

Would love to see this guy go to New England in the second round but after this whole process that might be risky to wait till then.

Poz51
02-27-2012, 07:31 PM

I moved him up to 4th in my rankings, behind Blackmon, Wright, Floyd, and he could ascend even higher. I still have some things to look at, but I thought he was the guy who improved his stock the most at the combine. He does drop some easy passes, showing lapses in concentration, but he makes the circus catch, adjusts to the ball with very good body control while it is in the air, and catches the ball with his hands. I see alot of Randy Moss in his game, not a great route runner, but can take the top off a defense, and this guy blocks. Very raw still, but there is plenty to like and work with.

Poz51
02-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Have you heard the guy talk. Seems like a class act. I think a lot of people just dont realize that system there. He isnt Calvin Johnson but even Calvin was hindered by those QBs they have there.

Would love to see this guy go to New England in the second round but after this whole process that might be risky to wait till then.

I think he is perfect for them, but I do not see him making it past Buffalo in the 2nd round, really not even to that spot. Im thinking he is a first round lock, maybe its a prospect crush on my part, but I loved everything I saw at the combine, and everything since. I agree 100% with your initial paragraph.

gpngc
02-27-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm always wary of guys with limited college production but:

A) It's Ga. Tech's offense.

B) I happened to watch the UNC game this season, so...

C) He looked good in WR drills at the combine.

D) By all accounts, he's a high-character, hard-working kid.

It's hard not to absolutely love the potential. I don't see him falling out of round one.

Ozzy
02-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Dang he possibly made himself some money

6-4 and 215........supposed 4.36 40, damn that is great! And a 39.5 vert, very impressive numbers, did not think he had that kind of speed. Could make 1st round with those numbers, great to see from such a talented player.

JohnCandy
02-27-2012, 09:09 PM
My real problem with him are the following criticisms,

1. He is rarely being double covered or bracketed. Because of the constant running he was in a number of one on ones, which he will not face as often in the pros.

2. He has not played against a lot of zone defense. Because of the constant running teams do not play zone and keep safeties deep so he would need to learn how to operate within that defense.

3. His hands are inconsistent and from everything I have read he has had some bad drops this season. Now with a small sample size the drops look worse.

JohnCandy
02-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Mayock Comments

On Georgia Tech wide receiver Stephen Hill: “Stephen Hill killed it. I had a bunch of scouts tell me before the combine this kid might blow the roof off of it and he did. The tough thing with Stephen Hill is coming out of that option offense, he’s hard to evaluate…From a football perspective, every team in the league has a lot of homework to do. He’s a hard guy to figure out, just like Demaryius Thomas was because you don’t see real routes; all you see are verticals, crosses and play-action and jump balls. You have to do your homework on this kid and he’s kind of pushed himself right up in the forefront of this wide receivers class

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2012/02/27/nfl-networks-mike-mayock-stephen-hill-killed-it/

JohnCandy
02-27-2012, 09:50 PM
From another site.

Heard Carlos "Big C" Holmes, a Bengals insider, say on the radio that the Bengals loved Hill at the combine, not just the workout either. Apparently his interview was a home run.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
02-28-2012, 12:05 AM

Ouch. Glad I didn't put that on paper.

JohnCandy
02-29-2012, 11:26 AM
‘Stephen Hill killed it,’’ Mayock said. ‘‘I had a bunch of scouts tell me before the combine this kid might blow the roof off of it, and he did.

No doubt that NFL teams will take another look at Hill’s sketchy college resume. Playing in a triple-option offense at Georgia Tech, Hill had only 49 receptions in three years, but for 1,248 yards, nine touchdowns and a 25.5 average per catch. He had 28 receptions for 820 yards (29.3 yards per catch) and five touchdowns as a junior in 2011.

‘‘The tough thing with Stephen Hill is coming out of that option offense, he’s hard to evaluate. We went through this with Demaryius Thomas. But he ran officially I think a 4.36. He [broad] jumped 11-feet-1 . His vertical … was out of the gym — it might have been 41 [inches].

‘‘But the point is his acceleration, his burst, his quickness and even more important to me. OK, now you’ve shown me you’re an athletic track star. When he got on the field and caught the football, he didn’t double-catch balls. He made hands catches out in front of him.

‘‘He’s a hard guy to figure out, just like Demaryius Thomas was because you don’t see real routes. All you see are verticals and crosses and play-action and jump balls. From a football perspective, every team in the league now has a lot of homework to do. He’s kind of pushed himself [to] the forefront of this wide receiver [class].’’

SenorGato
02-29-2012, 11:47 AM

Thomas was thought of more highly. He was considered probably the next best WR in his draft after the awesome Dez Bryant.

As someone mentioned he didn't even workout, he had injury problems, and still went in the first.

BTW: That 2010 first round looks pretty damn good. Pretty gd good.

toonsterwu
02-29-2012, 11:47 AM
From another site.

Heard Carlos "Big C" Holmes, a Bengals insider, say on the radio that the Bengals loved Hill at the combine, not just the workout either. Apparently his interview was a home run.

Total side note, and I half apologize for making a post like this, but I'd take Holmes with a grain of salt. I'm sure he knows folks, but it's hard to buy him after the semi-rant (see link below) he went on a few years ago on Ryan vs. Brohm and how he claimed, post-combine, that Brohm was a safe top 10 pick and still perhaps the favorite for the Falcons pick. The reality that year was that it was fairly clear before the combine that Brohm's stock was no where near where it had been speculated and that Ryan was the clear-lock for top QB spot.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/2008/03/10/ddn031008bigc2.html

Th30ry
02-29-2012, 01:37 PM
I love WRs like this guy, I know it's stupid, and it's prolly not the smart football choice, but when you've got a guy who doesn't know how to run routes, honestly, who cares? In the NFL he's going to get better coaching than he's ever received anyway, and if you don't have a coaching staff that can work with such a gifted prospect, you may need to be looking for new coaches.

Jimmy
02-29-2012, 01:48 PM
I have a hard time justifying this guy any higher than the late second. I get that he is athletically gifted, but it's on the film- the kid drops easy passes as much as he makes spectacular grabs.

If he had ****** hands and 4.36 speed, he'd still be a 3rd round pick, at the very least. Yet, since he has one good showing at the combine and does well in the drills, we are to assume that he ALWAYS has great hands? How about a little consistency? How about catching a ball with a helmet on, while a defender is about to knock your lights out? I agree that the 40 shocker should send his stock up quite a bit, but the notion that this kid is suddenly a first round pick because he dominated the gauntlet is laughable to me. He does not have consistent hands, I don't care how many youtube clips you can muster up in a 60 second interval.

FlyingElvis
02-29-2012, 01:59 PM
It's tough to not like the potential. I agree w/Th30ry that the route running question is one I can see teams ignoring. There's a learning process for all WRs. Then again, concentration and route running as negatives adds up to a bigger flag than just one or the other for any given prospect.

lmao . . . I was thinking the exact same thing. Does Larry hope the Pats don't get him b/c he likes the kid and doesn't want to see his development stunted? lol

I've come to learn that the number one sign someone is going in round 1 is when literally everyone in a thread says they'll take him in round 2. He's going round 1.

100% agree. Then again, there was plenty of similar love for Hankerson last year.

Scotty D
02-29-2012, 02:03 PM
I find it kind of funny that Georgia Tech keeps putting out these WRs with that offensive system.

FlyingElvis
02-29-2012, 02:20 PM
I find it kind of funny that Georgia Tech keeps putting out these WRs with that offensive system.

Seriously. Why are WRs even signing there?

Th30ry
02-29-2012, 03:17 PM

I know it's a crazy concept, but maybe some kids want to get an excellent education and play football. That's why Calvin went there, he's not just a physical freak, he's got a great mind and he really wanted to take advantage of the scholarship and get the best education while still being at a good school.

Not that there aren't better educational choices, but if you're wanting to do engineering or anything like that, there is an exceptionally short list of schools that can get you on a national stage for football and offer that level of education.

jrdrylie
02-29-2012, 03:23 PM

Thomas signed there before Paul Johnson got there. Hill signed there because the coaching staff basically promised he would be Thomas' replacement.

PhillyBirds25
02-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Pros:
-Size: 6'4 215lbs
-Athletic ability: 4.3 speed, 39.5'' vert, solid quickness for a man his size
-Blocking: Great ability to block thanks to the triple-option offense
-Character: Really good kid, well spoken, hard worker, great work ethic
-Spectacular catch: This kid can make some circus catches and for the most part shows good hands. Problem is his concentration and him looking up field before securing the ball, this is due to him wanting to make a big play every play because he had such few opportunities in that offense.
-Upside/Potential: There's no doubt with his measurable and talent his ceiling is huge, the JPP prospect of receivers.

Cons:
-Routes: His route tree is limited and his routes aren't polished due to the offense they ran at GT.
-Concentration: Like I said above, he sometimes loses concentration and drops an easy pass due to looking up field before securing the ball.

Doubt he gets out of the first, too much good and potential.

keylime_5
02-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Excellent analysis. It sounds like he could sneak into the first, but my money would be on 2nd round. Watching him at Georgia Tech he wasn't as good as Demaryius Thomas despite comparable measurables. Not very good tape even for a triple option guy. He is extremely raw and he drops too many balls and makes too many mental mistakes. He's not a good route runner in an offense where you only run 3 routes. I would grade him 3rd round still, way too much risk despite his considerable upside. Torrey Smith and Greg Little went late 2nd last year. I would put take him in the same area myself - though I understand that teams go gaga over speed and he'll likely be a top 40 pick.

ChiFan24
02-29-2012, 09:53 PM
If the Bears take him at #19, I will not be at all disappointed. That's what I've decided. Too much upside.

ChiFan24
02-29-2012, 09:56 PM
I know it's a crazy concept, but maybe some kids want to get an excellent education and play football. That's why Calvin went there, he's not just a physical freak, he's got a great mind and he really wanted to take advantage of the scholarship and get the best education while still being at a good school.

Not that there aren't better educational choices, but if you're wanting to do engineering or anything like that, there is an exceptionally short list of schools that can get you on a national stage for football and offer that level of education.

He could have come to Illinois and gotten the same engineering education with more than 2 targets a game, I know that much.

LonghornsLegend
02-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Do we have some knowledge as to who actually offered him a scholarship? Because for all we know GT was the most attractive option out of his choices. Besides, why does it even matter? Sure hasn't hurt the last few high profile WR's coming out of GT.

I will say, DT breaking out last season, especially right before he declares, was probably a huge help for him. Same goes for RGIII and Cam Newton. Not that they wouldn't still be highly coveted, but it gives you a glimpse of the upside panning out and excites you just a little bit more.

Some people need to really keep in mind, just because they don't run a full route tree at GT doesn't mean none of their WR's know how. Obviously the learning curve will be steeper for those guys, but I don't think it'll matter in the grand scheme of things.

I look at where Torrey Smith was drafted and think Hill has more to offer overall. I know that's tough to say about a guy who had 800 yards and 7 TD's as a rookie, but how much of that was off of 1 route? I think Hill has more to his game then just running past people, and frankly there are just some things you can do with that frame and speed that others can't.

keylime_5
02-29-2012, 10:36 PM
If the Bears take him at #19, I will not be at all disappointed. That's what I've decided. Too much upside.

If I were a Bears fan and they took Hill over Floyd and Wright then I'd shoot my television. That would be ********.

SilentJaguar
02-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Do we have some knowledge as to who actually offered him a scholarship? Because for all we know GT was the most attractive option out of his choices. Besides, why does it even matter? Sure hasn't hurt the last few high profile WR's coming out of GT.
Rivals has Auburn, the Mississippi schools, UGA, UNC, BC, Tennessee, UAB, and UCF down for him with only Auburn, Georgia, and Tennessee not offering him(and only two listed official visits to GT and BC).

Brent
03-01-2012, 05:41 AM
I think one of the selling points is that, in addition to a nice education, they may not pass often, but when they do, they're throwing bombs. Look at some of the WRs' yards per reception.

FUNBUNCHER
03-01-2012, 07:10 AM
It's a heck of a recruiting pitch when a coach can say to you, 'come to GT and be the next Megatron/Demaryius Thomas.'

GT won't continue to recruits WRs of this caliber because of the offense they run, but Stephen Hill is on par more or less with CJ and Thomas. Very similar profile.
I just think if he'd had 100-120 targets last season, Hill would have put up some alltime receiving marks last season. He made the most of his opportunities which is all you can ask from a player.

norcalgsr
03-02-2012, 03:33 AM
Kenny Britt + Darrius Heyward-Bey

FlyingElvis
03-02-2012, 08:58 AM

Excellent answers to this, even if one was a little snarky. lol

Nice work fellas!

JohnCandy
03-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Who would you rather have on your team Kendall Wright or Stephen Hill?

P-L
03-02-2012, 01:07 PM
It's not based on anything more than a gut feeling, but I think Hill is going to go a lot higher than most people expect. I think he's firmly entrenched in the 1st round and could end up going in the top 20. He has much of the same question marks as Demaryius Thomas coming out, but with more upside.

regoob2
03-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Kendall Wright by a mile.

SuperPacker
03-02-2012, 03:03 PM

Stephen Hill!

toonsterwu
03-02-2012, 03:45 PM
I'd take Kendall Wright in a heartbeat, no 2nd questions asked.

I'd watch the Patriots and Hill late in the first (if they don't address their deep threat needs). Belichick has always been intrigued with specimens (well, most coaches are), and he should have enough close connections to get some inside information on Hill (with Al Groh there).

The team that drafts Hill, though, can't depend on him too much early. They'll basically need him to do what Torrey Smith did for the Ravens this year - run deep routes and catch some occasionally, opening up the underneath-intermediate routes for others.

I have a hard time seeing him top 20. Late first, sure. But he's so raw that it is simply hard to imagine him going that high. That said, all it takes is one.

SuperPacker
03-02-2012, 03:48 PM
He's a lot better than Torrey Smith. He can actually catch a ball and he has the superior height and speed, a lot more potential IMO.

JohnCandy
03-02-2012, 04:28 PM
According to Len Pasquarelli of the Sports XChange, NFL scouts believe Georgia Tech WR Stephen Hill is a "tad better route runner" than Demaryius Thomas was coming out of school, and the two have "similar characteristics."

Hill and Thomas are compared because they both operated as deep threat receivers in Georgia Tech's incredibly run-heavy triple-option offense. Scouts reportedly believe Thomas was more physical in college, but Hill may be even more advanced. Thomas was the first receiver selected in the 2010 draft. "The size and speed, obviously, are there," an NFC scout said of Hill. "But, outside of ordering up the tape, you don't want to fall all over yourself yet.

JohnCandy
03-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Mel Kiper has Stephen Hill as his #4 WR.

Steady Lurkin
03-02-2012, 05:22 PM
DO WANT!!!!!!!!!!! df

SuperPacker
03-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Mel Kiper has Stephen Hill as his #4 WR.

I have him at #3

JohnCandy
03-02-2012, 06:23 PM
I have him at #3

I could really see the Bears taking the risk on him at 19, they are desperate for a physically dominant #1.

Obviously they want Michael Floyd, but they have 2-3 Kendall Wright type players on the team and I do not know if he adds something new.

The Hill pick would be totally based on potential, but it could be the ultimate home run.

SuperPacker
03-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Yeah i was thinking Bears at #19. Anywhere from #15 to #26 would be my guess.

JohnCandy
03-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Yeah i was thinking Bears at #19. Anywhere from #15 to #26 would be my guess.

We have been so conservative at WR for so long and we have NEVER had a dominant WR.

I will give Emery a free pass if he takes a swing with Hill and misses at least for the first time since David Terrell [2001] they would have taken a swing.

keylime_5
03-02-2012, 08:53 PM
IMO if Hill played in a normal offense we would see that he's probably another Troy Williamson or Darrius Heyward-Bey type, but since he was in that triple option and has so much unknown about his game and so many questions unanswered teams will give him the benefit of the doubt naturally b/c of his measurables and draft him really high. I would be quite pissed if my team took him over Kendall Wright. I'm not gonna even mention Floyd, no freakin' way in hell does he go before Floyd. If someone thinks that IMO it means one or both of these things:

-they haven't much of floyd

and/or

-they haven't seen much of hill

I've seen plenty of both. If Floyd had Robert Griffin's character and a clean injury history he would be a top 5 pick. My gut would turn inside out like it did when my Browns traded away Haloti Ngata for Kamerion Wimbley and a 7th round pick on draft day if my team drafted Hill before Floyd.

norcalgsr
03-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Someone on Twitter pointed out his horrible 4.48 20-yard shuttle time as a knock.

Well, Kenny Britt timed a near identical 4.47 in same drill and has turned out fine. That's one reason for my comparison.

toonsterwu
03-03-2012, 11:10 AM
I could really see the Bears taking the risk on him at 19, they are desperate for a physically dominant #1.

Obviously they want Michael Floyd, but they have 2-3 Kendall Wright type players on the team and I do not know if he adds something new.

The Hill pick would be totally based on potential, but it could be the ultimate home run.

I'm still going to be mildly surprised if we draft a WR at 19. We should know some draft hints on the Bears soon, though. If they pursue a veteran WR in FA, as I suspect they will, I have high doubts they'd use another prime asset on a WR.

Granted, Emery does come from KC, where they did add Baldwin on top of Bowe, but with a huge need at DE, and other needs, if they land a veteran WR, I have high doubts they'd go WR in the first. If they don't, sure, I could see WR at 19. But then ... what are they doing with all that money, then? I have a hard time seeing them go with another big ticket DE (too many resources at one position).

regoob2
03-03-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm still going to be mildly surprised if we draft a WR at 19. We should know some draft hints on the Bears soon, though. If they pursue a veteran WR in FA, as I suspect they will, I have high doubts they'd use another prime asset on a WR.

Granted, Emery does come from KC, where they did add Baldwin on top of Bowe, but with a huge need at DE, and other needs, if they land a veteran WR, I have high doubts they'd go WR in the first. If they don't, sure, I could see WR at 19. But then ... what are they doing with all that money, then? I have a hard time seeing them go with another big ticket DE (too many resources at one position).
Im praying for Vincent Jackson and Nick Perry.

JohnCandy
03-03-2012, 09:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaL6NvoHRT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kQWb4NXvJc

Coming out of college..
Scouts are already dialing up former Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Terance Mathis, the offensive coordinator at Savannah State and a guy who has worked diligently with Hill on route-running, for his take on the wideout.

It's felt at this point that Hill is a tad better route-runner than was Thomas coming out of college, but that the latter might have been a little more physical.

http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/...gs_NFL%20Draft

JohnCandy
03-03-2012, 09:18 PM

This is a new regime and I think they realized that their futures ate tied to Jay Cutler's success.

JohnCandy
03-04-2012, 12:37 AM
What if he did not get to show his talent because of the system he was in?

What if this guy is the next dominant WR and we haven't seen it because he had 3 passes a game thrown his way?

The draft is about potential, how you think a player will do in the NFL. Stephen Hill has more potential than any WR in the draft to be a dominant #1 WR, that is why he is being overrated.

If the draft was not about potential to be dominant everyone would draft sturdy college centers and possession WRs in the 1st round.

Stephen Hill could be a bust, but he could be a home run.

Michael Floyd could be a bust, but at most he is a good player.

regoob2
03-04-2012, 07:53 AM
What if he did not get to show his talent because of the system he was in?

What if this guy is the next dominant WR and we haven't seen it because he had 3 passes a game thrown his way?

The draft is about potential, how you think a player will do in the NFL. Stephen Hill has more potential than any WR in the draft to be a dominant #1 WR, that is why he is being overrated.

If the draft was not about potential to be dominant everyone would draft sturdy college centers and possession WRs in the 1st round.

Stephen Hill could be a bust, but he could be a home run.

Michael Floyd could be a bust, but at most he is a good player.
It's not all about potential. It's risk vs reward. He is very athletic for his height but he also isnt very physical for his size. Floyd has proven that he is a safe pick by producing in a pro style system. Hill blew up the combine. He has bust written all over him.

Nebula
03-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Hill is a workout warrior

His speed and 10-yard split, while elite, doesn't show up on tape. A guy like Kendall Wright is much more explosive off the line, can destroy a cushion much faster, and is superior beating press coverage with a good burst/suddeness. Hill has tremendous top end speed, but hes a little bit of a strider whereas a guy like Kendall Wright is a two stepper and is instantly at his top end speed. Despite what he did in shorts, on the field he is a long strider.

Hill is also extremely inconsistent with concentration (see his drops against unc and clemson), has very small hands if someone wants to compare him to the likes of calvin johnson, and has a limited route tree.

He's a guy who will occasionally make a big play from time to time, but I don't think his ceiling is that of a Randy Moss/Calvin Johnson. Stephen Hill is track star fast. He does not possesses elite short area quickness or much of an initial burst. I see him struggling a ton early in his career with inconsistency and lack of production. The classic workout warrior who is likely to underachieve in his NFL career

However, on a positive note, once Hill becomes more polished -- I see him more similar to say a Julio Jones. A guy who runs in 4.3 range and can occasionally go grab the football while being quite inconsistent.

SuperPacker
03-04-2012, 08:20 AM
In my eyes he has two issues.

Concentration and Route Running. The latter can be taught by good receiver coaches and the former i believe is a self confidence issue. I hear him interview and i see a guy that doesnt believe he's the best wide receiver in college football. I'd take Hill in the mid first round and be happy about it.

Nebula
03-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Actually I was too generous with the Julio Jones comparison, Hill isn't as good of a route runner

Perhaps his ceiling is that more of Torrey Smith of the Ravens. Eerily similar skill sets

Steady Lurkin
03-04-2012, 12:22 PM
He reminds me of Tyrone Calico before Roy Williams ended his life on a horse collar.

LonghornsLegend
03-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Perhaps his ceiling is that more of Torrey Smith of the Ravens. Eerily similar skill sets

Hill has a frame that Torrey Smith doesn't have, and has more to his game then just running deep routes.

Buc Baller12
03-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Hill reminds me of sidney rice

Witten4HOF
03-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Hill = Charles Rogers

JohnCandy
03-04-2012, 01:25 PM
How can you judge his hands when he had less than 50 targets this season?

I know some of his drops are horrendous, but the sample size of catches is way to small to accurately asses his hands. Is it that he had a ton of drops or is it that he had some really bad ones in limited opportunity.

How many drops did he have this season?

I do not expect Hill to do much as a rookie, but the guy wants to get better and is working hard. He caught the ball exceptionally well, which tells me that he has concentration problems and not hands problems like Streeter who caught nothing at the combine.

Hill is a huge risk, but he could be a huge talent for your team.

DHB had a good year this season and I expect him to be over 1000 yards this season.

JohnCandy
03-04-2012, 01:26 PM
It's not all about potential. It's risk vs reward. He is very athletic for his height but he also isnt very physical for his size. Floyd has proven that he is a safe pick by producing in a pro style system. Hill blew up the combine. He has bust written all over him.

If I am the Bears I take Floyd over him 10/10 times.

But if Floyd is gone, or the Bears address the WR position in free agency, I think they can take the risk.

SuperPacker
03-04-2012, 01:27 PM
He makes some great catches as well. The one at the combine was Denarius Moore esque.

bigbluedefense
03-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Stephen Hill is a late 1st round draft pick BC he's raw.

If he wasn't raw he'd be AJ Green and be a top 5 pick. You're gambling on the potential. I think if he goes to the right team, he'll succeed. He looked great catching the ball in drills, he has the size and speed to be dominant in this league, and he supposedly has good work ethic and character.

He's the type of raw athlete I'd gamble on.

SuperPacker
03-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Stephen Hill is a late 1st round draft pick BC he's raw.

If he wasn't raw he'd be AJ Green and be a top 5 pick. You're gambling on the potential. I think if he goes to the right team, he'll succeed. He looked great catching the ball in drills, he has the size and speed to be dominant in this league, and he supposedly has good work ethic and character.

He's the type of raw athlete I'd gamble on.

I'd gamble on him before the late first.

bigbluedefense
03-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I'd gamble on him before the late first.

I think with the depth of WRs available in FA, along with how deep this WR draft class is, I think either Hill or Wright will fall to the end of the 1st round.

The supply is just greater than the demand, which bodes well for teams who can go BPA at the end of the 1st.

SuperPacker
03-04-2012, 04:00 PM
I think with the depth of WRs available in FA, along with how deep this WR draft class is, I think either Hill or Wright will fall to the end of the 1st round.

The supply is just greater than the demand, which bodes well for teams who can go BPA at the end of the 1st.

There is zero chance Wright falls past the Browns pick. Well thats if they draft Griffin. And Hill i just think has too much potential to go late first.

descendency
03-04-2012, 04:05 PM
There is zero chance Wright falls past the Browns pick. Well thats if they draft Griffin. And Hill i just think has too much potential to go late first.

What pick? They'll have to give up #22 if they want RG3.

SuperPacker
03-04-2012, 04:08 PM
What pick? They'll have to give up #22 if they want RG3.

Oh yeah! :( that ruins my dream...

Nebula
03-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Hill has a frame that Torrey Smith doesn't have, and has more to his game then just running deep routes.

Interesting. Why do you believe so? At this point and time, that's the only thing to his game. Unless you want to talk about run blocking, which is meaningless to this discussion

JohnCandy
03-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Workout wonder Hill suddenly under the scouting microscope

By Bucky Brooks NFL.com
Analyst
Published: March 5, 2012 at 02:09 p.m.
Updated: March 5, 2012 at 02:21 p.m.

Who is Stephen Hill?

That's one of the biggest questions floating around in scouting circles after the former Georgia Tech receiver put on a spectacular showing at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Hill ranked among the top performers at any position in the 40-yard dash (4.36), vertical jump (39.5 inches) and three-cone drill (6.88), and finished as one of the standouts in the receiver drills. His combination of athleticism, body control and balance is certainly impressive for a 6-foot-4, 215-pound receiver, and offensive coordinators around the league are intrigued by the possibility of incorporating an extraordinary athlete into their game plans.

Evaluating Hill's game tape, I see a big, physical receiver with exceptional speed and quickness. He excels at running the vertical portion of the route tree (go route, post and deep cross) and his ability to run past defenders is accentuated by the deception of the Yellow Jackets' triple-option offense. As a pass catcher, Hill shows strong hands and gives the quarterback a huge target with his enormous catching radius (33 3/8-inch arms and a 79 1/2-inch wingspan). He has a penchant for coming down with acrobatic catches in a crowd, and his ability to win contested balls makes him a dangerous weapon in the red zone.

In terms of the weaker aspects of Hill's game, I would point to his unrefined route-running skills, limited experience with pro passing-game concepts and drops due to lapses in concentration. His struggles with route running and concepts are partially due to the simplistic nature of Georgia Tech's passing game. Hill primarily ran deep routes or quick screens to take advantage of the isolated matchups created by the Yellow Jackets' run-heavy approach. While he certainly made the most of limited opportunities last season -- 28 receptions for 820 yards (29.3 yards per catch!) and five touchdowns -- he was rarely asked to run intermediate routes and clearly lacks fluidity in that area.

Hill's raw tools warrant serious consideration as a potential early-round selection, but his game is still unrefined in several aspects, so evaluators will arrive at Georgia Tech's pro day on Tuesday looking to find a few answers to their most pressing questions. Here three questions Hill must address to solidify his status as one of the top receivers in the draft:
1. How good are Hill's hands?

Hill finished his three-year collegiate career with a grand total of 49 receptions, so evaluators don't have an extensive film résumé to study his game. That makes his performance at Tuesday's pro day critical to his final evaluation for most teams. Scouts and coaches will want to assess his pass-catching ability, particularly his hand-eye coordination and concentration. Evaluators will set up several ball-drill stations designed to test his ability to track the ball into his hands. Some of the drills will require Hill to catch the ball from a stationary position, while others will put him on the move to see how well he catches the ball from various angles.

Considering his limited experience catching balls at intermediate range, coaches will repeatedly ask him to catch balls from 12-to-15 yards away from the quarterback to gauge his ability to quickly pick up the flight of the ball. In addition, they will instruct him to work through various obstacles designed to simulate traffic over the middle and assess his ability to find and follow the ball.

Coaches will also put Hill through the paces on an assortment of ball drills from both sides to see if he has a strong or weak side catching the ball. As silly as it sounds, some receivers are more comfortable catching the ball from a preferred side and that could factor into the equation when determining where to align Hill on offense.
2. How quickly will Hill adapt to a pro route tree?

Hill's experience in Georgia Tech's triple option obviously isn't ideal preparation for the pro game. He was only targeted a few times each game and the vast majority of his receptions were compiled on vertical throws. Consequently, scouts will want to see how well Hill executes intermediate routes that are staples of most pro passing games.

To assess Hill's route-running ability, coaches will take him through an assortment of cone drills to see his ability to break down and transition out of cuts. He will be instructed to execute 45- and 90-degree angle breaks to simulate curls, square-ins and comebacks, and scouts will pay close attention to his ability to regenerate his speed out of cuts.

Hill will run the route tree from both sides of the field to give scouts a feel for where he stands in his development and how quickly he can get up to speed as a pro. Although all pro playbooks are unique in their concepts, the individual routes are fairly consistent and all necessary information can be gleaned from watching Hill's basic workout.

With that determination factoring heavily into Hill's final grade on the draft board, Hill's ability to show progress as a route runner could keep his name on the rise in war rooms across the league.
3. Can Hill comprehend the complexities of a pro scheme?

Hill faces a significant transition moving from Georgia Tech's triple option to any pro offense due to his inexperience with some of the nuances of a sophisticated passing game. He will enter the league with limited experience in hot reads or sight adjustments (breaking off a route in anticipation of a blitz), and didn't face much press or "cloud" coverage due to the run-heavy emphasis of his offense.

To assess his overall understanding of passing-game concepts and defensive coverage, coaches will put him on the blackboard to measure his overall football knowledge. In addition, coaches will teach him a few simple concepts and see if he is able to retain and process that information on the field. If he is able to execute and implement those concepts while simultaneously digesting information from a shifting defense, Hill will earn high marks from evaluators for his adaptability and football acumen. For teams employing complex systems predicated on post-snap adjustments from receivers based on coverage or blitz, Hill's ability to adjust on the fly will be a critical factor in his overall grade.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks

JohnCandy
03-06-2012, 06:26 PM
After studying all of Stephen Hill's film, NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock is "less concerned" about the Georgia Tech wide receiver's drops and route running.

"He's a hands snatcher," said Mayock. "He had five or six drops [at Georgia Tech] ... but when you watch him catch the football, it's so natural." For a bigger receiver, Mayock determined that Hill was "really good" getting in and out of his breaks at the Yellow Jacket's Pro Day on Tuesday.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/ga-techs-stephen-hill-1375102.html?cxtype=rss_falcons

RaiderNation
03-06-2012, 06:50 PM
I still don't see him being a late 1st like some think,but there is no doubt his stock has rised into the 2nd. Could be the 5th WR drafted after Blackmon/Floyd/Wright/Jeffery

Justone2
03-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Think he could even be the 4th depending on what Jeffery does on his pro-day and what type of receiver a teams needs.

niel89
03-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Late 1st is gonna be a stretch for me as well, I'm good with him almost anywhere in the 2nd though. It only takes one team to fall in love with him. Blackmon and Floyd are a clear cut above him, but certain teams might like his size more than Wright and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Jeffrey is slipping on a lot of teams boards.

Steady Lurkin
03-06-2012, 07:14 PM
DO WANT BAD dfdfdf

A Perfect Score
03-06-2012, 07:19 PM
I still don't see him being a late 1st like some think,but there is no doubt his stock has rised into the 2nd. Could be the 5th WR drafted after Blackmon/Floyd/Wright/Jeffery

I think there's a legitimate chance he's the 3rd WR off the board after Blackmon and Floyd. Jeffery will come with his concerns, and people might assume him and Hill could develop into the same type of player anyways, and teams valuing size at the WR position could choose Hill over Wright for that very reason. If say, Chicago lose out on Michael Floyd, I can see them choosing Hill over both Wright and Jeffery at 19.

phlysac
03-06-2012, 07:33 PM
As for attendance at his Pro Day...

[quote]NFL TEAMS PRESENT: We didn’t have an official count, but it looked like 31 of the 32 teams were present. San Francisco appeared to be the only team not present. Here are the teams that were certainly on hand: Falcons, Saints, Raiders, Eagles, Bills, Bears, Bengals, Browns, Cardinals, Rams, Panthers, Vikings, Colts, Dolphins, Titans, Broncos, Lions, and Texans.

PhillyBirds25
03-06-2012, 07:46 PM
My personal assessment:

Pros-
Size: 6'4 215 lbs - 33 3/8'' arms - 79 1/2-inch wingspan - 9 3/8'' hands.
Athletic Ability: 4.3 speed, ridiculous leaping ability with a 39.5 inch standing vert, good quickness and burst, good feet and agility.
Hands: He's got good hands and he's a hands catcher. Has the ability to make circus catches as well. Also does a good job making catches in traffic and holding onto the ball while getting hit. Does a good job battling the defender for the ball in the air and can extend his body while falling down and still make the catch.
YAC: He's very hard to bring down after contact and does a good job picking up yards after the catch.
Blocking: Fantastic blocker, one of the best blocking WRs in the draft.
Character: Extremely hard working kid who puts his team first, not a diva. Wants to be the best and put in the work to achieve up to his ability. A really good well spoken kid that will give you his all.
Upside: Has the talent, work ethic and god given ability to be a top 5 WR in the league.

Cons-
Route Running: He never had to run the full route tree at GT, so he will need to learn to perfect all the routes. He will also need to work on making his routes more crips and clean. This con is very common for college WRs coming into the NFL
Concentration catches: A few times he looked up field before securing the ball and it ended up in a drop. It comes down to concentration, catch the ball first and then look up field. It could've easily been because he got such few opportunities that when they came he just wanted to make the most out of it and just looked up field a second to quick.
Production: Lack of high production due to GT offense and the lack of opportunities.

This kid is sick and there is not a chance he will get out of the first round.

brat316
03-06-2012, 08:03 PM
why no body mention his run blocking?

It should be really good, in a run heavy system. If it is not, bring up some questions of what the hell was he doing? If he doesn't try and fake the db on a run play in college, in hte nfl good dbs will be able to read him on things like that.

Justone2
03-06-2012, 08:35 PM
WHen you cant block you dont play at Georgia Tech so sure he can block. Maybe even the best blocking WR in the draft.

ChiFan24
03-06-2012, 08:49 PM
This guy has a better chance to be Randy Moss/Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson than anyone else in this draft. I get that the risk is too much in the top 10-15 picks, but beyond that, it's absurd not to take him if you need a receiver. People are way too afraid of potential busts, and they're so afraid of "workout warriors" that they don't realize more often than not, a guy that works out really well is going to be a much better NFL player than a guy that doesn't. I'll fill my team with Stephen Hill's and everyone else can have the Rueben Randle's and Alshon Jeffery's.

Steady Lurkin
03-06-2012, 09:50 PM
This guy has a better chance to be Randy Moss/Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson than anyone else in this draft. I get that the risk is too much in the top 10-15 picks, but beyond that, it's absurd not to take him if you need a receiver. People are way too afraid of potential busts, and they're so afraid of "workout warriors" that they don't realize more often than not, a guy that works out really well is going to be a much better NFL player than a guy that doesn't. I'll fill my team with Stephen Hill's and everyone else can have the Rueben Randle's and Alshon Jeffery's.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110323061850/halofanon/images/4/47/Meme_-_Clapping.gif

Clarkw267
03-07-2012, 02:09 AM
Just got done watching 3 GT games. (North Carolina, Clemson, Georgia). I actually think that Hill is right on par with D. Thomas coming out of GT. Thomas was bigger and more physical, but Hill is much quicker, which really alleviates a lot of the concerns as far as his ability to run the full route tree. Hill also plays hard all the time, so his work ethic seems to be a positive. He also surprised me with his ball skills, when given the opportunity.

If I'm Chicago, I hope that he is there when our pick comes up. He's definitely worth a mid-late 1st round pick for a receiver needy team IMO.

FUNBUNCHER
03-07-2012, 03:06 AM
After the top 10 are selected, I think there will be more movement among teams trying to position themselves up to select Stephen Hill.

It's hard to imagine him going later than the 20th pick.

JohnCandy
03-07-2012, 09:56 AM
In Atlanta, Georgia Tech receiver Stephen Hill is again drawing rave reviews.

Hill stood on his stellar combine marks, but tipped the scale at a solid 209 pounds during the Georgia Tech workout, six less than his combine weigh-in. Once again Hill was flawless during pass-catching drills, running clean routes and doing an exceptional job catching the ball. The buzz continues to build around Hill, as several NFL decision-makers, as well as directors of college scouting for teams around the league, openly stated this morning that he ranks as a first-round choice and should be off the board by pick 25.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/03/01/pro.days/index.html.

norcalgsr
03-07-2012, 11:03 AM

What about the Scott Long's and Ricardo Lockette's?

Iamcanadian
03-07-2012, 03:25 PM

I agree, I cannot see this guy getting out of round 1 and he has an excellent chance to go ahead of Wright, Randle, and Jeffery's IMO.

RaiderNation
03-07-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm waiting until Jeffery runs his 40 at his pro day. If he can run in the 4.5's he will be my #4 WR, if not Hill is all likelihood will be that guy

LonghornsLegend
03-08-2012, 04:18 PM
What about the Scott Long's and Ricardo Lockette's?

Your gonna end up with a bust no matter what, it happens, but if you want to draft "safe" all the time you'll end up with average players or bust just as well. You could come up with a long list of safe prospects with high floors that ended up being bust, but when you have a guy that has elite tools like Hill you don't overlook that because your scared he might be a bust.

I guess maybe I have a much easier time translating WR's to the NFL game with the way offenses have been taking a move to the spread. The reward here far outweighs the risk, and this could easily be one of the those scenarios where the later round 1 WR out performed the early picks.

Jones89
03-09-2012, 04:22 AM
Chances he falls to the Jags in the 2nd??

SuperPacker
03-09-2012, 04:58 AM
Chances he falls to the Jags in the 2nd??

zero. (10)

Jones89
03-09-2012, 07:44 AM
zero. (10)

and who do you think snags him?

SuperPacker
03-09-2012, 07:49 AM
and who do you think snags him?

jags #7
dolphins #8
bills #10
eagles #15
jets #16
bengals #17
chargers #18
bears #19
tennessee #20
bengals #21
browns #22
broncos #25
texans #26
patriots #27

Jones89
03-09-2012, 08:05 AM
jags #7
dolphins #8
bills #10
eagles #15
jets #16
bengals #17
chargers #18
bears #19
tennessee #20
bengals #21
browns #22
broncos #25
texans #26
patriots #27

Realistically, I could only see him going at 18 if VJax walks. From there, 19, 22, 26, 27. Very slight possibility at 16 to the Jets. I guess the chance he falls that far to the Jags is somewhat slim, but I think it's better than half of those possibilities.

If we take him at 7... let's just say I won't be too happy.

Giantsfan1080
03-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Giants would also take him with the last pick in the 1st.

Jones89
03-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Giants would also take him with the last pick in the 1st.

They could definitely address another need with that pick... I'm pretty sure we see him go at 19 to the Bears or 22 to the Browns... although I'd love for him to come to Jacksonville.

SuperPacker
03-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Realistically, I could only see him going at 18 if VJax walks. From there, 19, 22, 26, 27. Very slight possibility at 16 to the Jets. I guess the chance he falls that far to the Jags is somewhat slim, but I think it's better than half of those possibilities.

If we take him at 7... let's just say I won't be too happy.

ok i'll carry on.

ravens #29
patriots #31
rams #33
colts #34
vikings #35
bucs #36
browns #37

there is 0% chance Hill will go the jacksonville in the second round

Justone2
03-09-2012, 09:02 AM
And then you forget #30 49ers;)

NY+Giants=NYG
03-09-2012, 09:09 AM
If he checks out and Reese and Ross sign off on him, I wouldn't mind drafting this guy. Nicks, Hill and Cruz would be a great 3 man WR corps.

SuperPacker
03-09-2012, 09:48 AM
And then you forget #30 49ers;)

yeah and the 49ers.