PDA

View Full Version : #2 QB Drafted in 2012

onejayhawk
09-26-2011, 07:50 PM
This thread is intended to be about QBs, but you cannot edit the title line.

Which QuarterBack will be taken first after Luck?

Secondary question, who should be the 2nd QB taken, if different from above?

I look at Robert Griffin III and recall how badly people misjudged Freeman two years ago. Is this another case of the same?

J

TACKLE
09-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Barkley, Matt

descendency
09-27-2011, 12:14 AM
It kind of depends on who is drafting there, but Matt Kalil (OT, USC) or Jonathan Martin (OT, Stanford) or maybe Alshon Jeffery (WR, South Carolina)...

I mean, if the team doesn't need a QB, it really is up in the air at this point.

Brown Leader
09-27-2011, 01:06 AM
I'll say Landry. I think he's a better thrower than Barkley but that's it. His footwork and mobility need work but he's an impressive natural thrower. I hate Baylor's offense but if the NFL starts running more spread I guess Griffith's got a chance. I suppose if Colt McCoy can start so can he.

Woody56
09-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Depends on who's drafting there, but I would say Kalil is #2 prospect

Da Big Harv
09-27-2011, 01:53 AM
Barkley or one of the OT's Reiff or Martin or Khalil

can't see it being a WR or Trich going that high.

ChiFan24
09-27-2011, 01:54 AM
Totally up in the air for me. I guess Barkley by default, even though I don't buy into his hype, but I really dislike what I've seen of Landry Jones. There's something about RG3 that I don't buy, but I'm not totally sure what that is yet.

Shane P. Hallam
09-27-2011, 06:42 AM
The more I am looking at it, the more I can see Kalil being the #2 pick.

no bare feet
09-27-2011, 07:11 AM
It will be a player from USC

tjsunstein
09-27-2011, 07:47 AM
The rights to Andrew Luck's first son.

GoBroncos
09-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Matt Kalil

iowatreat54
09-28-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm going in a different direction and going to say it will be Foles. I think he will end the season with more buzz around his name, and will go into the combine and impress the scouts more than Barkley.

holt_bruce81
09-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Matt Barkley.

I think Landry Jones is a low 2nd round pick.

Is no one reading the first post? Didn't know some of these guys played Quarterback! haha

keylime_5
09-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Barkley or Jones. I'm leaning Barkley, though people who act like Landry Jones isn't right there in the discussion as the #2 QB are fooling themselves. If a QB isn't the #2 pick then Matt Kalil is the dark horse, especially if the Chiefs have the 2nd pick and feel that Cassel (and his contract) are not worth giving up on. I like Griffin and think he could go top 10, but teams will like the pro style pedigree of Barkley or Jones more, who aren't too shabby in terms of their arm talent either.

Mr.Regular
09-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Thought you liked Martin>Kalil? I asked you that on twitter once haha.

Glad you've 'seen the light' though, Kalil is an amazing LT prospect. Elite.

But the Q is 2nd QB.... I've never been high on Barkley, but most ppl seem to be, so he should be in the mix. Landry Jones, while many dislike him, is also a very good prospect. But why not RGIII? Stupidly athletic, with a good arm, and he's had a ton of success. He's such a raw athlete but he's also been spot on this year. If he keeps it up, maybe improves that accuracy a tad, and does well in the post-season, why not?

shylo3716
09-28-2011, 06:22 PM
This thread is intended to be about QBs, but you cannot edit the title line.

Which QuarterBack will be taken first after Luck?

Secondary question, who should be the 2nd QB taken, if different from above?

I look at Robert Griffin III and recall how badly people misjudged Freeman two years ago. Is this another case of the same?

J

If Christian Ponder can go 1st Round after everyone doubted anything is possible if Griffin can maintain play & kill offseason workouts.

#2 QB not #2 overall pick.

Shane P. Hallam
09-28-2011, 06:40 PM
If Christian Ponder can go 1st Round after everyone doubted anything is possible if Griffin can maintain play & kill offseason workouts.

#2 QB not #2 overall pick.

I changed the title of the thread man, it was unclear before.

bucfan12
09-28-2011, 08:09 PM
I think it's hands down Luck is the top QB and Barkely is number 2. I don't see Landry Jones challenging for the 2nd QB to be drafted spot. I think he's just a product of the Oklahoma spread offense. I think the more time scouts have to critique his film, they'll see he's a 2nd/3rd round type of prospect.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-28-2011, 08:15 PM
I'll go with Robert Griffin.

bored of education
09-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Barks, RGIII is very different from Freeman. He is African American that is all.

Barks to KC if KC is not picking 1, if KC is picking 2 or worse they will grab Barks.

TheFinisher
09-28-2011, 10:15 PM
It should be Griffin.

Barkley is still living off the hype from being a true freshman starting under center at USC. He's listed at 6'2 but he looks a little smaller than that and has an average arm, and for a guy who is supposed to be a pocket passer the height and arm strength issues are going to weigh him down. Just basing it off measurables, Barkley should not be a top 10 pick. If I were giving out a grade he would compare similarly to Andy Dalton, there's not much potential there but he should wind up being a serviceable QB for whoever drafts him.

Griffin is an advanced passer for being a dual threat spread QB. He can progress though his reads, has a quick smooth delivery, solid footwork, good arm strength with great touch on his passes. His ability as a passer didn't come overnight like I've seen some people say, he was a good looking passer dating back to the 2nd half of his freshman year. Then when you tack on the mobility and ability to take off and run he's the total package.

I predict by the time the draft comes around this debate will lean more towards Luck vs. Griffin as #1 than Griffin vs. Barkley, Jones, etc as #2. Griff and Luck are far and away the top 2 signal callers in this draft IMO.

ElectricEye
09-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Right now its Barkely. I like him quite a bit...but if I were to personally make the selection it would be Griffin for many of the same reasons stated in the current Griffin thread and what TheFinisher posted above me.

But Barkley is a pretty damn good prospect himself and one that I think people underrate quite a bit.

bucfan12
09-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Ryan Lindley is a guy to keep an eye on. He could make his way into the 1st round.

bucfan12
09-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Also, remember the only guy that's pretty much a guranteed top pick is Luck.

Guys like Barkely and Jones are Jrs and may not receive the grade they would like. And with the rookie salary cap, they may feel it won't be worth it andb etter off staying in school.

If Barkely is listed under 6'2, he'll have a hard time being drafted as high as everyone thinks.

Landry Jones is a product of the Oklahoma offens.e

ElectricEye
09-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Ryan Lindley is a guy to keep an eye on. He could make his way into the 1st round.

He'll have to fight his receivers to get into it though. For a guy with accuracy concerns already, playing with such an inexperienced group is FAR from ideal. Their two leaders returning at that position had like 20 catches last year and both got hurt or something crazy like that. I don't think he'll get the numbers he got last year and he needed to improve upon them to elevate his stock in the first place. I like the guy a whole ton though. All the tools to be a very good player at the NFL level.

FUNBUNCHER
09-28-2011, 11:59 PM
I think Nick Foles is a guy who's going to shoot up draft boards. Big, not a statue, can pinpoint throws and it seems like he's got a sneaky strong arm,(hard to really tell in Arizona's offense).

I would not be surprised to see the top three QBs taken go as follows;
Luck/Griffin/Foles.

ElectricEye
09-29-2011, 12:01 AM
I haven't seen anything out of Foles to suggest he isn't more of a Tony Pike type player than he is an NFL type guy.

bucfan12
09-29-2011, 12:02 AM
He'll have to fight his receivers to get into it though. For a guy with accuracy concerns already, playing with such an inexperienced group is FAR from ideal. Their two leaders returning at that position had like 20 catches last year and both got hurt or something crazy like that. I don't think he'll get the numbers he got last year and he needed to improve upon them to elevate his stock in the first place. I like the guy a whole ton though. All the tools to be a very good player at the NFL level.

He could be in the same scenario as Josh Freeman was coming out. I bet you nor me could name any of the WRs catching passes during Freemans career besides Jordy Nelson his Fresh and Sophomore year. They said the same thing about him.

Lindley has the tools, phyiscally and mentally.

bucfan12
09-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Haven't watched enough of Griffen, so I don't know how good of a passer he is. I do know he can take off and has some wheels.

ElectricEye
09-29-2011, 12:05 AM
He's also playing at San Diego State against bad competition. The Big XII defenses circa Freemen era might have been garbage, but the quality of athlete was still better. Lindley will be a good three to four times as unproven Freemen was coming out and will be doing it in a different type of quarterback class. Really rooting for the guy, but he would have to have a hell of a year to work his way up that high. Probably not realistic when the answer to "hey our receivers kind of suck" is as simple as "hand it off to Ronnie Hillman".

iowatreat54
09-29-2011, 09:15 AM
I haven't seen anything out of Foles to suggest he isn't more of a Tony Pike type player than he is an NFL type guy.

I think he is going to not have the best senior year, but have a few buzz-worthy games and/or an upset or two that make people take notice. Then he will go into the pre-draft workouts and look good in drills and on paper. I think a little bit of media hype + good workouts will make people ignore some of his deficiencies.

But this is all just me hypothesizing and going against the grain, so it probably won't happen at all.

ElectricEye
09-29-2011, 09:47 AM
I just see a total product of the system with Foles. There's some real ugly, ugly tape with him where you look at the box score and he still put up numbers. I don't trust his arm or his accuracy even at all. His ball placement runs hot and cold(mostly cold, from what I've seen) and his numbers haven't been as prolific as people think either. He's been better this year than he ever has been...but yeah, just don't see it. There's guys in this senior class that are just that much more talented.

iowatreat54
09-29-2011, 10:05 AM
More or less agree. I'm actually not that high on Foles, but just wouldn't shock me to see him turn it on in work outs and have a game or two where he looks lights out to blind some from his deficiencies.

DraftSavant
09-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Tannehill or RGIII.

Tannehill is the prospect that Locker and Gabbert were supposed to be.

RaiderNation
09-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Idk how anyone can someone different than Barkley at this point. He would have easily went 1st last year if he could declare and I think he could be on par with prospect like Stafford or Bradford by the combine. Luck of course is a once in a decade player, but ending up with Barkley as your franchise QB is a good consolation prize.

DcmRulz
09-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Barkley, and it's not close.

#3 could be a nice mix between Tannehill, Griffin, and Landry (I think it's landry, but early to tell).

Griffin reminds me a lot of a more athletic Andre Woodson (before his predraft freefall)

Black Bolt
09-29-2011, 11:54 AM
More or less agree. I'm actually not that high on Foles, but just wouldn't shock me to see him turn it on in work outs and have a game or two where he looks lights out to blind some from his deficiencies.

Foles, easily. Think about it. He's in this spread system where he is throwing every down and constantly getting up from HUGE hits. His measurables are all there and he reminds me skill wise of Matt Stafford. He has had issues with decision making, but he looks to be making much better decisions this year. I think that teams will realize that with better players around him, sky is the limit.

Landry Jones is overrated. Bad under pressure, more a thrower than passer and he doesn't have that relazed stroke you want to see. Nothing about him says NFL.

bucfan12
09-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Nick Foles doesn't remind me of Matt Stafford at all.

Now that I come to think of it, I don't know if this QB class is as good as it was advertised a few months ago.

SolidGold
09-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Foles reminds me of Josh Freeman. Pretty similar playing styles and body types. Foles has been getting destroyed this year behind that o-line and lack of running game. I think he will be a riser in the predraft process.

iowatreat54
09-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Foles reminds me of Josh Freeman. Pretty similar playing styles and body types. Foles has been getting destroyed this year behind that o-line and lack of running game. I think he will be a riser in the predraft process.

Except Foles is a statue in the pocket. Or at least he was last season, not sure if he's improved at all this year.

bucfan12
09-29-2011, 01:40 PM

I'll have to watch him more. I hear mixed reviews on Nick Foles, some are top 20 prospect wise and some are 4th/5th round pick wise, kind of the reviews Josh Freeman got.

But remember, they played in completely different offenses.

princefielder28
09-29-2011, 01:44 PM
I like the Foles comparison to Tony Pike

both are/were good fits in their college offenses but skill set is garbage when it comes to the NFL

DraftSavant
09-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Barkley, and it's not close.

#3 could be a nice mix between Tannehill, Griffin, and Landry (I think it's landry, but early to tell).

Griffin reminds me a lot of a more athletic Andre Woodson (before his predraft freefall)

What, exactly, does Barkley do well other than throw screen passes and hitches to Robert Woods?

For all the bitching people do about the spread dink-and-dunkers being protected schematically, USC's offense does the same thing. Only difference is that they aren't in shotgun.

TACKLE
09-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Haven't we learned by now that college offensive system is largely irrelevant in determining a QB prospects success? Whether it's spread or "pro-style" there are few college offenses that demand their QB's to make NFL throws on a regular basis - not Stanford, not USC, not Oklahoma. Yes, it can be frustrating because it makes it more difficult to evaluate. But all we can do is look for glimpses and occasional throws that give us a feel for arm strength, velocity, downfield accuracy and ability to fit throws into tight windows.

bored of education
09-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Haven't we learned by now that college offensive system is largely irrelevant in determining a QB prospects success? Whether it's spread or "pro-style" there are few college offenses that demand their QB's to make NFL throws on a regular basis - not Stanford, not USC, not Oklahoma. Yes, it can be frustrating because it makes it more difficult to evaluate. But all we can do is look for glimpses and occasional throws that give us a feel for arm strength, velocity, downfield accuracy and ability to fit throws into tight windows.

That is true sir, I typed that to you in IRC and you go and post this in here.

TACKLE
09-29-2011, 06:43 PM
That is true sir, I typed that to you in IRC and you go and post this in here.

You sit on a throne of lies!

(though we have had a discussion of that topic on more than one occasion)

SolidGold
09-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Foles is not a statue, he moves around well. He is alot bulkier and bigger than Pike who was a toothpick. He has very good arm strength, good accuracy and toughness. I was impressed with him in the Oregon game, he kept getting hit but would bounce back and did his part to try to bring the team back. 2nd-3rd round is where I have him slotted to go now.

bored of education
09-29-2011, 06:45 PM
I like Foles and feel he is going to be a 2nd round pick. He has improved greatly since last season.

OK I lied about tacks stealing my steezo

Raiderz4Life
09-29-2011, 07:59 PM
2nd QB is Barkley and its not close.

DraftSavant
09-29-2011, 11:25 PM

And Barkley's not doing any of that particularly well this season. And never really has. That was sorta my point...

onejayhawk
09-30-2011, 09:10 AM
2nd QB is Barkley and its not close.

After about 4 of these, I have to wonder what the rationale is behind them. ;)

That being said, Sanchez makes a good argument for not superficially rejecting them, even if they are superficial.

J

RaiderNation
10-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Updating this thread, Barkley has looked alright tonight against CAL. Just threw a beautiful TD pass a few mins in the 2nd. I have him rated as my #3 overall prospect for the draft, obviously behind Luck.

jth1331
10-14-2011, 09:46 AM
I said it before, and it may hold true.
Landry and Barkley both might stay for their senior seasons.
I honestly feel Landry would follow in the footsteps of Bradford if he doesn't win a Championship.

FUNBUNCHER
10-14-2011, 01:56 PM
USC is still under those major NCAA sanctions and can't play in a bowl game, I think in 2012 either.

For that reason I think if Barkley has a decent statistical season, he's gone. He's been a 3 year starter at USC so I imagine he believes he's ready.

RealityCheck
10-14-2011, 07:31 PM
I feel one of Barkley and Jones will stay in college (maybe even both), but I'll guess Landry will be the second taken.

bored of education
10-14-2011, 08:14 PM
I feel one of Barkley and Jones will stay in college (maybe even both), but I'll guess Landry will be the second taken.

i know contracts arent like they used to but their will be 3-4 teams in the top 8 that could use a QB