PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Ozzy
09-27-2011, 08:16 AM
http://www.baynews9.com/images/apimages/Florida_St_Clemson_Football.sff-33880632-5c2e-4dc1-8d77-23def350c640.jpg
Sammy Watkins FR WR Clemson, 6-1, 200.

This kid is absolutely ridiculous. At this point I would say he is clearly the best freshman offensive player in the nation, much less best freshman receiver. Has great hands, wonderful technique catching the football and rarely lets the ball touch his body. Makes quick decisive cuts, is more that just explosive after the catch and has that next gear to get past defenders. He has potential as a return man, deep threat or slot receiver. Is flat out electric with the ball in his hands and is arguably, out of all the new prospects I have seen this year, he is the most impactful player I have seen so far.

One could completely make the case for him being in the top 5 receiver prospects in college football right now. One could argue the mismatches caused by size and strength with Jeffery and Floyd could trump Watkins at this point. But after that he is right up there with all of them. And over time could even get better.

Possible top elite talents at receiver in the nation.
Alshon Jeffery JR WR South Carolina
Michael Floyd SR WR Notre Dame
Sammy Watkins FR WR Clemson*
Justin Blackmon RS JR WR Oklahoma State
Robert Woods SOPH WR USC
Justin Hunter SOPH WR Tennessee

http://media.naplesnews.com/media/img/photos/2011/09/06/110907CP-COLLEGE_t607.jpg
Sammy Watkins is a possible star, amazing talent that might bring Clemson to there first ACC title since 1981

SimonRath
09-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Soo, the physical tools of floyd and alshon are better but blackmons aren't?.. personally id say blackmons physical tools are better then floyd and alshon

Ozzy
09-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Soo, the physical tools of floyd and alshon are better but blackmons aren't?.. personally id say blackmons physical tools are better then floyd and alshonReally? I would consider the height of Jeffery and Floyd a major physical tool, give me those two in a jump ball situation over Blackmon any day. Height is pretty much the only thing Sammy Watkins does not have. Blackmon is solid but more of a grounded receiver with the obvious comparison to Anquan Boldin, both similar size and physical strength, Blackmon has great hands and runs good routes though, so it makes up for his lack of jump ball ability.

Justin Blackmon: 6-1 215

Alshon Jeffery: 6-4 230

Michael Floyd: 6-3 225

FUNBUNCHER
09-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Watkins is one of the few freshman WRs I've seen I think could play in the NFL next year.

His balls skills and turbo speed are outrageous.

ElectricEye
09-27-2011, 10:39 AM
He's ridiculous. Starting off about as strong as we've ever seen a freshmen receiver start off. Looks to have star potential at that position.

shylo3716
09-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Sammy Watkins = Chad Jackson MINUS bust word!!!

RaiderNation
09-27-2011, 03:14 PM
He has NFL speed and size already as a just a Freshman. I have been really impressed with him and he could be sleeper in the Heisman race

rawdawg
09-27-2011, 09:19 PM

Pretty good comparison. I thought Chad Jackson was going to be a stud. Oops.

Watkins is pretty much amazing. Wish God made me that gifted physically as an 18-year old.

Ozzy
09-27-2011, 10:38 PM
shylo3716 Sammy Watkins = Chad Jackson MINUS bust word!!!Ok first off, awful comparison, comparing those two is an absolute insult to the skills Sammy Watkins has at this point.

Want to compare, say Watkins is like Peter Warrick without the bravado. Cuts quick, catches the ball and secures the ball just like Warrick did. And really Warrick's only failure at the next level was getting injured too much and losing his quickness, and lacking true open field speed.

Sammy Watkins does not lack true open field speed, and should be a star NFL player if he keeps developing. If Wes Welker can succeed in the slot, no reason Watkins cannot, not comparing the two just saying not every great receiver in the NFL is huge, just look at Mike Wallace as well.

In summary, Chad Jackson from Florida? Chad might have similar size but that is about it. Chad did not really dominate ever on Florida his entire career the way Watkins has in just two games.

Big Bird
09-27-2011, 11:12 PM
You are massively underrating Justin Blackmon. He is clearly the best Wide Receiver in the country.

Cudders
09-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Really? I would consider the height of Jeffery and Floyd a major physical tool, give me those two in a jump ball situation over Blackmon any day. Height is pretty much the only thing Sammy Watkins does not have. Blackmon is solid but more of a grounded receiver with the obvious comparison to Anquan Boldin, both similar size and physical strength, Blackmon has great hands and runs good routes though, so it makes up for his lack of jump ball ability.

Justin Blackmon: 6-1 215

Alshon Jeffery: 6-4 230

Michael Floyd: 6-3 225

...What?

Blackmon is absolutely tremendous in jump ball situations. It's one of his better qualities. He might lack the towering height of a prototypical go-get-it receiver, but height isn't all that goes into winning battles when the ball is up for grabs. First off, Blackmon compensates for his perceived size disadvantage by having excellent reach and quick leaping ability. Long arms and a spring-loaded base goes a long way in erasing the difference of two or three inches.

Secondly, Blackmon is outstanding at tracking the ball in the air. He locates it before his man and adjusts incredibly well to errant throws. The value of that simply can't be understated. A lot of jump balls aren't going to be perfect throws. You need someone that can re-route themselves on the fly and make a play on the football. Blackmon has demonstrated the kind of gymnastic body control required to do that again and again.

Also, he has exceptional eye-hand coordination and timing. You hear about high-pointing the ball? Blackmon does it. He times his jump and extends himself to attack the ball when it is at its absolute highest point. So much of the jump ball comes down to the timing of the jump. He's got some of the strongest hands, too. He's hauled in plenty of passes with one hand and came down with a lot of acrobatic catches. He's got all the baseline traits of a go-get-it receiver. It's not as simple or clear-cut as, "Well, Player X is taller than Player Y, so Player X must be better than Player Y in jump ball situations." Larry Fitzgerald is the best receiver in the NFL in the aforementioned scenarios. Fitzgerald is 6-3. I doubt you would find many that would pass on Fitzgerald for, say, Ramses Barden. Even though Barden is three-and-a-half inches taller.

Now, that's not to diminish Floyd or Jeffrey on the jump ball. Both are top-notch and a cut above the vast majority of prospects in that area. But Blackmon shouldn't be profiled as a grounded receiver. And I don't think he compares favorably to Anquan Boldin. He's much closer to a Hakeem Nicks clone to me.

As far as Sammy Watkins goes, I was very impressed with what I saw against Florida State. He's got explosive speed, some slipperiness in the open field, and even flashed some strength and toughness. I'm very excited to see Watkins and that Clemson offense going forward. They torched a fast, athletic defense.

Ozzy
09-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Big Bird You are massively underrating Justin Blackmon. He is clearly the best Wide Receiver in the country.Maybe, that is a valid point, but I have always had Jeffery and Floyd ahead of him. If one is looking at route running, conditioning and hands sure I would go with Blackmon, but I think Jeffery and Floyd have more potential than Blackmon, Blackmon might have peaked kind of like Crabtree did in college. We will see...

Cudders ...What?

Blackmon is absolutely tremendous in jump ball situations. It's one of his better qualities. He might lack the towering height of a prototypical go-get-it receiver, but height isn't all that goes into winning battles when the ball is up for grabs. First off, Blackmon compensates for his perceived size disadvantage by having excellent reach and quick leaping ability. Long arms and a spring-loaded base goes a long way in erasing the difference of two or three inches.

Secondly, Blackmon is outstanding at tracking the ball in the air. He locates it before his man and adjusts incredibly well to errant throws. The value of that simply can't be understated. A lot of jump balls aren't going to be perfect throws. You need someone that can re-route themselves on the fly and make a play on the football. Blackmon has demonstrated the kind of gymnastic body control required to do that again and again.

Also, he has exceptional eye-hand coordination and timing. You hear about high-pointing the ball? Blackmon does it. He times his jump and extends himself to attack the ball when it is at its absolute highest point. So much of the jump ball comes down to the timing of the jump. He's got some of the strongest hands, too. He's hauled in plenty of passes with one hand and came down with a lot of acrobatic catches. He's got all the baseline traits of a go-get-it receiver. It's not as simple or clear-cut as, "Well, Player X is taller than Player Y, so Player X must be better than Player Y in jump ball situations." Larry Fitzgerald is the best receiver in the NFL in the aforementioned scenarios. Fitzgerald is 6-3. I doubt you would find many that would pass on Fitzgerald for, say, Ramses Barden. Even though Barden is three-and-a-half inches taller.

Now, that's not to diminish Floyd or Jeffrey on the jump ball. Both are top-notch and a cut above the vast majority of prospects in that area. But Blackmon shouldn't be profiled as a grounded receiver. And I don't think he compares favorably to Anquan Boldin. He's much closer to a Hakeem Nicks clone to me.

As far as Sammy Watkins goes, I was very impressed with what I saw against Florida State. He's got explosive speed, some slipperiness in the open field, and even flashed some strength and toughness. I'm very excited to see Watkins and that Clemson offense going forward. They torched a fast, athletic defense.Well every person has a different opinion, and ultimately I do feel Sammy Watkins when it is all said and done will be just as good if not better than Justin Blackmon. Watkins already has better open field speed and quickness.

In terms of the never ending Jeffery, Floyd or Blackmon debate. Well I stand by what I said. And if you want to throw Larry Fitzgerald around, Michael Floyd is a poor mans Larry Fitzgerald, both are very similar players and equally as talented going up and getting the ball.

I would not call Blackmon "tremendous" in jump ball situations, yes he can locate the ball in the air and made impressive catches, but again if one is throwing a fade in the back of the end zone against a top flight corner, I would hypothetically take Jeffery or Floyd over Blackmon. Blackmon might be able to physically fight off tough man to man coverage, but high point ball in the air those other two win.

Still off the subject though, give me Sammy Watkins over Blackmon just slightly, and that is projecting continued improvement for Watkins over the next two and a half seasons. But yes of course one can make the argument Blackmon should be the top of that receiver list.

But more importantly is how Watkins as a true freshman can completely be in that same group in my opinion.

murdamal86
09-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Ok first off, awful comparison, comparing those two is an absolute insult to the skills Sammy Watkins has at this point.

Want to compare, say Watkins is like Peter Warrick without the bravado. Cuts quick, catches the ball and secures the ball just like Warrick did. And really Warrick's only failure at the next level was getting injured too much and losing his quickness, and lacking true open field speed.

Sammy Watkins does not lack true open field speed, and should be a star NFL player if he keeps developing. If Wes Welker can succeed in the slot, no reason Watkins cannot, not comparing the two just saying not every great receiver in the NFL is huge, just look at Mike Wallace as well.

In summary, Chad Jackson from Florida? Chad might have similar size but that is about it. Chad did not really dominate ever on Florida his entire career the way Watkins has in just two games.

Chad never got the chance as Meyer had him running 10 yard curl routes but yes the comparison is valid IMO.

rawdawg
09-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Ok first off, awful comparison, comparing those two is an absolute insult to the skills Sammy Watkins has at this point.

Jackson is a junior who came out early for the 2006 NFL Draft, and because of the lack of game-changing receivers in this year’s draft, he definitely made the right decision. He is a good athlete, who is extremely smooth and fluid in his routes, and he consistently has shown quickness out of his cuts to get separation. While he lacks top-end playing speed, he accelerates to full speed quickly, and once he gets to full speed, he has deceptive speed and can get separation deep down the field. He is a smart receiver who sets up his routes well, and he sells his fakes strong to turn defenders around. He has very good hands, does a good job catching the ball with his hands, and can twist and adjust to make tough catches on off-target passes. He is more slippery and elusive running after the catch than you'd expect, and he has the strength and balance to run through arm tackles and keep his feet vs. grab tackles. He also offers the added bonus of being a solid punt returner. Overall, Chad is not a game-changing speed receiver, but he has all the tools and competitiveness to become a very good starting receiver in a season or two and will consitently get open, make all the catches, and make plays running after the catch. He will also contribute returning punts early in his career.

shylo3716
09-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Pretty good comparison. I thought Chad Jackson was going to be a stud. Oops.

Watkins is pretty much amazing. Wish God made me that gifted physically as an 18-year old.

Why THANK YOU!

LOL SHAME ON YOU NOT TO SEE IT!!! You are outnumbered FACE IT. Good comparison from the time Chad was a 1st Round prospect not when he got to the League. I said Sammy Watkins = Chad Jackson MINUS the Bust word. Sammy 6'1'' 200 4.3ish 40 guy Chad 6'1'' 213 4.32 40.....Sammy has plenty of time to bulk up..... That's as LEGIT as it can get MINUS BUST from me. Chad was not a bad prospect.

Chad never got the chance as Meyer had him running 10 yard curl routes but yes the comparison is valid IMO.

Exactly!!!! 4.32 40 at the time measuring in at 6'1'' 213 Go Routes would have been AWESOME!

ElectricEye
09-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Yup. Because triangle numbers totally define what a player is on the field. Spot on logic yet again Shylo.

shylo3716
09-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Yup. Because triangle numbers totally define what a player is on the field. Spot on logic yet again Shylo.

Why Thank you.........SMART ***

Ozzy
09-28-2011, 07:45 PM
shylo3716 LOL SHAME ON YOU NOT TO SEE IT!!! You are outnumbered FACE IT. Good comparison from the time Chad was a 1st Round prospect not when he got to the League. I said Sammy Watkins = Chad Jackson MINUS the Bust word. Sammy 6'1'' 200 4.3ish 40 guy Chad 6'1'' 213 4.32 40.....Sammy has plenty of time to bulk up..... That's as LEGIT as it can get MINUS BUST from me. Chad was not a bad prospect.
Shame on me, for not seeing one of the most dynamic and electric true freshman prospects to come along in years as the next Chad Jackson "MINUS BUST".

Wow.

Or rather he might turn out like...

Best case scenario:
Percy Harvin
Devery Henderson
Santonio Holmes
Laveranues Coles
Eddie Royal
Jeremy Maclin
Deion Branch
Bernard Berrian

Worst case scenario:
Mark Clayton
Peter Warrick
Courtney Roby
Dennis Northcutt

All players with return potential, big play ability, quickness in the open field, ability to go deep and stretch the field.

Chad Jackson never came to mind to me personally, and never would even after it was brought up.

Still consider it an moderate insult to what I have see from Sammy Watkins, but will see, guess I was not a huge Chad Jackson fan and never considered him elite anything, guess some did or do.

shylo3716
09-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Shame on me, for not seeing one of the most dynamic and electric true freshman prospects to come along in years as the next Chad Jackson "MINUS BUST".

Wow.

Or rather he might turn out like...

Best case scenario:
Percy Harvin
Devery Henderson
Santonio Holmes
Laveranues Coles
Eddie Royal
Jeremy Maclin
Deion Branch
Bernard Berrian

Worst case scenario:
Mark Clayton
Peter Warrick
Courtney Roby
Dennis Northcutt

All players with return potential, big play ability, quickness in the open field, ability to go deep and stretch the field.

Chad Jackson never came to mind to me personally, and never would even after it was brought up.

Still consider it an moderate insult to what I have see from Sammy Watkins, but will see, guess I was not a huge Chad Jackson fan and never considered him elite anything, guess some did or do.

My thoughts, your thread........I'm just a peon so what I say does not matter although a Gator guy above agrees.

Caulibflower
09-28-2011, 07:57 PM

But you're outnumbered, so you're a DUMBHEAD. But yeah, Sammy Watkins is going to be super good, like Chad Jackson would've been if he'd been good.

shylo3716
09-28-2011, 08:16 PM
But you're outnumbered, so you're a DUMBHEAD. But yeah, Sammy Watkins is going to be super good, like Chad Jackson would've been if he'd been good.

BINGO!!!! +204 rep your way

To: You

rawdawg
09-28-2011, 08:42 PM
Can't seem to get past that Chad Jackson didn't amount to anything in the NFL. That's completely beside the point. The point is comparing Chad Jackson, WR coming out of Florida to Sammy Watkins, WR at Clemson. Physically they are/were very similar. Both are/were explosive athletes. Their strengths are/were basically the same. Chad never came back from a devastating ACL injury, after dealing with hamstring issues as a rookie. But it's not like the talent wasn't there. The Patriots are probably the best talent evaluaters in the NFL, and they saw enough to trade up to pick him in the early 2nd round as the 2nd WR to Santonio Holmes. Just because Jackson didn't amount to what you think Watkins should be doesn't mean that the comparison is invalid.

Ozzy
09-28-2011, 10:16 PM
How about this one...

Stephen Hill = Charles Rogers MINUS bust word!!!

To the outsider, looking in, at least to me, that is a massive show of mistrust in Stephen Hill as a prospect is it not? It is basically saying one thinks he is going to tank it in the NFL and get injured and have a pretty lack luster career.

Thus said glorious Chad Jackson comparison, to me, says one thinks Sammy Watkins is going to be a bust in the NFL. Sure out number me in opinions, that is fine.

But FACT is Chad Jackson has career statistics of 14 receptions and 171 yards receiving. Sammy Watkins could arguably have those same statistics in terms of yardage in one game in the NFL. Good comparison boys.....right....

EJ Manuel = JaMarcus Russell MINUS bust word!!!

;o) Real show of confidence huh, actually quite an awful comparison, to repeat what I already said before

FUNBUNCHER
09-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Because of the hair and his wheels, Sammy Watkins reminded me of a healthy Donte Stallworth.

shylo3716
09-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Can't seem to get past that Chad Jackson didn't amount to anything in the NFL. That's completely beside the point. The point is comparing Chad Jackson, WR coming out of Florida to Sammy Watkins, WR at Clemson. Physically they are/were very similar. Both are/were explosive athletes. Their strengths are/were basically the same. Chad never came back from a devastating ACL injury, after dealing with hamstring issues as a rookie. But it's not like the talent wasn't there. The Patriots are probably the best talent evaluaters in the NFL, and they saw enough to trade up to pick him in the early 2nd round as the 2nd WR to Santonio Holmes. Just because Jackson didn't amount to what you think Watkins should be doesn't mean that the comparison is invalid.

You are SPOT ON with your analysis man! +204 rep

Raiderz4Life
09-29-2011, 04:16 PM
How about this one...

Stephen Hill = Charles Rogers MINUS bust word!!!

To the outsider, looking in, at least to me, that is a massive show of mistrust in Stephen Hill as a prospect is it not? It is basically saying one thinks he is going to tank it in the NFL and get injured and have a pretty lack luster career.

Thus said glorious Chad Jackson comparison, to me, says one thinks Sammy Watkins is going to be a bust in the NFL. Sure out number me in opinions, that is fine.

But FACT is Chad Jackson has career statistics of 14 receptions and 171 yards receiving. Sammy Watkins could arguably have those same statistics in terms of yardage in one game in the NFL. Good comparison boys.....right....

EJ Manuel = JaMarcus Russell MINUS bust word!!!

;o) Real show of confidence huh, actually quite an awful comparison, to repeat what I already said before

Don't think you're getting it at all. Would take my shot at explaining it but if you didn't grasp it the first 3 or 4 times, pretty sure you won't if I do it, so I won't.

shylo3716
09-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Don't think you're getting it at all. Would take my shot at explaining it but if you didn't grasp it the first 3 or 4 times, pretty sure you won't if I do it, so I won't.

LOL(Laugh Out Loud) & I'm WAAB(Weak As A *****)

+204 rep your way too my friend........"Stay Humble My Friend"(Dos Equis voice)

BamaFalcon59
09-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Because of the hair and his wheels, Sammy Watkins reminded me of a healthy Donte Stallworth.

That's actually not bad.

I can see Jeremy Maclin.

Oh, and Blackmon is outstanding on the jump ball and without a doubt the best receiver in the nation.

shylo3716
09-30-2011, 04:25 AM
Jackson is a junior who came out early for the 2006 NFL Draft, and because of the lack of game-changing receivers in this year’s draft, he definitely made the right decision. He is a good athlete, who is extremely smooth and fluid in his routes, and he consistently has shown quickness out of his cuts to get separation. While he lacks top-end playing speed, he accelerates to full speed quickly, and once he gets to full speed, he has deceptive speed and can get separation deep down the field. He is a smart receiver who sets up his routes well, and he sells his fakes strong to turn defenders around. He has very good hands, does a good job catching the ball with his hands, and can twist and adjust to make tough catches on off-target passes. He is more slippery and elusive running after the catch than you'd expect, and he has the strength and balance to run through arm tackles and keep his feet vs. grab tackles. He also offers the added bonus of being a solid punt returner. Overall, Chad is not a game-changing speed receiver, but he has all the tools and competitiveness to become a very good starting receiver in a season or two and will consitently get open, make all the catches, and make plays running after the catch. He will also contribute returning punts early in his career.

Whose breakdown was this?

shylo3716
09-30-2011, 04:27 AM

Worst case scenario:
Mark Clayton
Peter Warrick

BTW Mark Clayton is Peter Warrick in disguise :D

Tim Coulter
09-30-2011, 05:53 AM
http://www.baynews9.com/images/apimages/Florida_St_Clemson_Football.sff-33880632-5c2e-4dc1-8d77-23def350c640.jpg
Sammy Watkins FR WR Clemson, 6-1, 200.

One could completely make the case for him being in the top 5 receiver prospects in college football right now. One could argue the mismatches caused by size and strength with Jeffery and Floyd could trump Watkins at this point. But after that he is right up there with all of them. And over time could even get better.

Possible top elite talents at receiver in the nation.
Alshon Jeffery JR WR South Carolina
Michael Floyd SR WR Notre Dame
Sammy Watkins FR WR Clemson*
Justin Blackmon RS JR WR Oklahoma State
Robert Woods SOPH WR USC
Justin Hunter SOPH WR Tennessee

He is actually somewhat different from others. Unanimity in the top 50 national signee of all services ... five-star Rivals.com and Scout.com recruiting seconds ... ranked as the ninth best player in the nation's top overall receiver, and the nation's fourth best player in Florida ... 247sports fifteenth best overall performance and the third best wide receiver by Rivals.com ... thirty-ninth best overall performance and the fourth best receiver ESPN.com ... forty-first best overall performance, and the fifth best receiver and Scout.com sports news, and the forty-eighth best overall performance by Tom Lemming ... 18. best player overall in the nation, the second best player in Florida and the third best wide receiver is the nation according to SuperPrep ... Max Prep first team All-American and ... led his team to 3A state semifinals with 56 catches and 14 touchdowns in the 1287 meters as a parent ... helped the team record of 11-1 and the state semifinals ... all-time leading receiver in the history of Lee County with 2965 yards on 126 catches, an average of 23.5 yards to his career ...
Really he is simply the best ;)

YAYareaRB
09-30-2011, 01:20 PM

i dont even think you can take the word bust away from chad jackson. its like apart of his name now.

rawdawg
10-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Putting on a show again in the 2nd half. This dude is amazing.

Seriously? Unreal. Just ran a punt back for TD.

4U2NV
10-16-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm fully on board the Sammy Watkins hypetrain, this kid is sick! Unbelievable talent and already one of the best receivers in the nation as a freshman, WOW! Can't wait to see him develop and if it continues like this I might be trying to stockpile draft picks in my dynasty leagues for 2014.

bored of education
10-16-2011, 09:33 AM
He is a freak of talent nature something. He is unreal.

bigbenn
10-16-2011, 05:34 PM
He is a freak of talent nature something. He is unreal.

+1

Can Florida please send one of these types of WR's to the Illini. I know they have Jenkins but he's leaving and Watkins is just....wow. And he's only a freshman. He's the type of WR you seriously think about taking #1.

gpngc
10-16-2011, 08:17 PM
My goodness...

keylime_5
10-16-2011, 08:38 PM
the guys is like Julio Jones but with much better field stretching ability. Can't believe he's only like 18.

ElectricEye
10-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah, he's an impact player in the truest sense of the word. He's really helped Clemson get over the hump this year and breakout. It'll be interesting to see how he develops going forward.

gpngc
10-16-2011, 08:56 PM
the guys is like Julio Jones but with much better field stretching ability. Can't believe he's only like 18.

He's a less violent Dez with better speed.

FUNBUNCHER
10-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Sammy Watkins is a pretty good football player.
I feel sorry for the Tarheels.