PDA

View Full Version : First Mock of the New Year

Grizzlegom
09-27-2011, 12:11 PM
As the title says, this is my first mock this year. Feel free to let me know if the team need is way off, did a lot of guessing. Draft order is loosely based on current records. Playoffs are arranged so that it's "realistic" meaning 6 teams from each conference with a winner of each division etc.

1. Indianapolis Colts - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford - If you have the first pick you have to take him. Colts set for next 15 years.
2. Kansas City Chiefs - Matt Barkley, QB, USC - Cassel has been awful.
3. Minnesota Vikings - Matt Kalil, OT, USC - Word is they regretted cutting McKinnie considering how fast he dropped weight in Baltimore.
4. Miami Dolphins - Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma - Despite Henne's numbers improving overall, its clear this team can't win with him.
5. Denver Broncos - Quinton Coples, DE, UNC - The front four still needs upgrading.
6. Seattle Seahawks - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama - Trufant is getting up in age and they have a CFL import starting across from him.
7. Jacksonville Jaguars - Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State - Gabbert needs someone to throw the ball to if he's gonna succeed.
8. Cincinnati Bengals - Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska - Clements has been pretty bad as Joseph's replacement.
9. Carolina Panthers - Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina - Newton to Smith is legit but age and injuries could still threaten him. Not sold on rest of WR corps.
10. Arizona Cardinals - Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford - The Cardinals have the worst starting OTs in the league and its not even close.
11. Chicago Bears - Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa - Cutler is going to die at the current pace.
12. St. Louis Rams - Zach Brown, OLB, UNC - Possibly the worst OLBs in the NFL.
13. Tennessee Titans - Jared Crick, DL, Nebraska - Versatile DL that could instantly become their best DE or DT.
14. Cleveland Browns - Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College - Upgraded DL in last year's draft, LB still needs work and Kuechly can play inside or out.
15. Cleveland Browns (from Atlanta) - Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M - Jury is out on the young WR corps but unless someone emerges big-time, McCoy will need a legit number one.
16. Philadelphia Eagles - Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona State - Eagles LBs have been biggest problem against the run thus far.
17. New York Giants - Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State - With Kuechly and Burfict gone, they go with their standard fallback of upgrading the DL.
18. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU - Ronde Barber is going to retire someday...right?
19. New York Jets - Brandon Jenkins, OLB, Florida State - Pass rush still needs to be fabricated by crazy blitz schemes, could use someone that can manufacture his own.
20. Oakland Raiders - Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor - No secret that Al Davis is still on the lookout for his next franchise QB and he loves athleticism...
21. San Francisco 49ers - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama - Steal at this point. Gore has lost a step and is injured again.
22. Washington Redskins - Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M - If the Skins are picking this late that means the Grossman project was a success but he's still not a permanent solution.
23. San Diego Chargers - Courtney Upshaw, ILB, Alabama - Upshaw can play inside or outside and the Chargers could use help at both.
24. New England Patriots - Donte Paige-Moss, OLB, UNC - Patriots move to the 4-3 to get better pass rush is failing because they are trying to use old retreads.
25. Dallas Cowboys - Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia - Cowboys secondary needs help.
26. Buffalo Bills - Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia - OL has performed better than expected but lacks a stud.
27. Houston Texans - Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame - Texans can afford a luxury pick with the improved defense not having a MAJOR need anymore.
28. New England Patriots (from New Orleans) - David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
29. Pittsburgh Steelers - Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington - Both their current nose tackles are over 30.
30. Detroit Lions - Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia - Lions front four is amazing but they still need help at the second level.
31. Baltimore Ravens - T.J. McDonald, FS, USC - Ed Reed has contemplated retirement for the past couple years.
32. Green Bay Packers - Devin Taylor, OLB, South Carolina - OLB spot opposite Matthews could be upgraded.

T-RICH49
09-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Barkley is solid.would prefer you flip the Colts and Chiefs

jared3
09-27-2011, 01:41 PM
I hope the Colts get the first overall pick!

Pat Sims 90
09-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Anything in the secondary is a good pick.

shylo3716
09-27-2011, 03:02 PM
5. Denver Broncos - Quinton Coples, DE, UNC - The front four still needs upgrading. McGahee is 30! Moreno is not the back that we thought he would be coming into the league after stellar years at UGA. If Fox does not go with a WR since they are plagued there I see them continuing the long line of RBs with Richardson. Why not?

8. Cincinnati Bengals - Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska - Clements has been pretty bad as Joseph's replacement. If by any chance CB is #1 priority on the board for them I see Mo Claiborne, hell Claiborne is the #1 CB prospect as of now IMO.

11. Chicago Bears - Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa - Cutler is going to die at the current pace. How much punishment will Cutler take before he just gives up on the team to FORCE himself out of there. I say they trade up to get a Matt Kalil.

12. St. Louis Rams - Zach Brown, OLB, UNC - Possibly the worst OLBs in the NFL. RB is a major need IMO since Jackson is plagued. Would not be surprised to see a guy name Miller Time come off the board.

13. Tennessee Titans - Jared Crick, DL, Nebraska - Versatile DL that could instantly become their best DE or DT. Kenny Britt is the future along with off the field problems but they need another weapon opposite of him.

16. Philadelphia Eagles - Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona State - Eagles LBs have been biggest problem against the run thus far. Vick is all we have behind Center. #1 Law of Football. You Protect & Serve your QB!!!!! I know LB is a need because our Run D is non-existent, but we need PROTECTION for Vick for crying out loud. We will TRADE UP

20. Oakland Raiders - Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor - No secret that Al Davis is still on the lookout for his next franchise QB and he loves athleticism... Love the 1st Round projection, thought I would be the first to do so, but what is the purpose of picking Pryor up just to take another QB?

Constructive feedback in BOLD

vidae
09-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Barkley is solid.would prefer you flip the Colts and Chiefs

What he said!

Grizzlegom
09-27-2011, 04:01 PM
To the Chiefs fans, I want Miami and Indy to be flipped as well but I just think Indy is the worst team right now so they get him.

Constructive feedback in BOLD

I considered Richardson at 5 but decided RB isn't worth it that early and again at 12 along with James but decided OLB was a bigger need. FWIW, I thought about Miller as well but not sure he'll declare.

I like Claiborne but Kirkpatrick is having a better season and has the more upside and if Dennard shows he's healthy the rest of the way, which shouldn't be a problem, I'll take Dennard 10/10.

Agree on Tennessee, just didn't like the value there. Deep WR class, should be able to get someone really good in the 2nd round.

I don't do mock trades but I completely agree about the Eagles. Watkins looks like a bust right now, they need him to step up and take that RG spot and find a RT that can pass pro. With top three OTs gone though, thought Burfict would be a good choice although everyone knows Andy Reid will never take a LB in the first round (assuming he's still the coach).

I honestly forgot they had Pryor...Personally don't think he'll be a starting QB ever but I guess it makes sense that they'd give him a shot. Will have to find another team to fit him on in the second half of the first...Bills would be great because the thought of him in a Chan Gailey offense just isn't fair but Fitz looks like he'll be commanding that job for a long time.

indyfan1985
09-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Obviously great pick for the Colts!!! We would then go SS Ray Ray Armstrong in the 2nd.

The only way I dont see the Colts taking Luck if they have the 1st overall pick is if some team offers them a king's ransom. Like a current stud player on defense involved.

indyfan1985
09-27-2011, 05:12 PM
I hope the Colts get the first overall pick!

I second that!!! We would then be set for the next 15 years and Luck is much more athletic than Manning as well.

I believe Manning may only play another 2-3 years if at all so we could let Luck sit for a year, then trade Manning after 2012 season for a 1st rounder or more because I still think he would command that to a team needing a veteran QB to get them over the edge.

monson
09-27-2011, 08:55 PM
For the Pats two picks. I agree that a pass rusher is needed. Not sure of your choice though.

I don't like the pick of a guard in the first round. I am counting on Cannon being recovered. No way to predict. A center would be better. Can DeCastro play center?

Any thought of a safety in first? maybe another TE? lol. They will likely trade one of the picks anyway.

ChicagoBearsVet23
09-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Great Bears pick

prock
09-28-2011, 06:33 AM
Left tackle is getting to be a staple pick for the Vikings. Diggin it.

Matthew Jones
09-29-2011, 04:26 PM
That'd be an extremely exciting Patriots draft. I think Devin Taylor would be more likely than Paige-Moss, though. He's 6'7", 260 and has extensive experience dropping into coverage, which would give him some 3-4 versatility, whereas I think Paige-Moss is best suited to a 4-3.

Rosebud
10-01-2011, 05:35 PM
While DL makes sense I don't think we'd take a DT unless things change drastically. Canty's playing well, Joseph's playing like a beast, Kennedy is proving a good wave player and Bernard's on a whole different level now that he's healthy. So the position's set right now and we still have Austin on the IR as a future piece at the position.

I could see another corner since Ross is likely to be let go in FA, Web is on the edge of hitting 30 and TT is coming off a serious knee injury. If we'd go DL I'd think it's DE, Osi is likely going to be traded next offseason or let go in FA the following year, Kiwi is a FA next year and will be let go if he gets a big offer from someone else.

49erNation85
10-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Interesting pick for SF.Not sure if taking a RB is a good choice right now.Would go defense picking in middle of draft or a big WR.