PDA

View Full Version : How much power does your teams' head coach have?

killxswitch
09-28-2011, 11:06 PM
This season has been very weird for me as a Colts fan. I've been a fan since '95 so I am not exactly a stranger to losing.

However, I don't remember the front office being such a circus.

Just today, CB Justin Tryon was cut from the team. Even though he proved last year to be the 2nd best CB on the team he has been in someone's "doghouse" for a while and they've been starting the terrible Jacob Lacey.

Tryon tweeted the news and said that head coach Jim Caldwell wanted to start him, but wasn't allowed to.

Is this normal? Are there other teams out there whose coach isn't allowed to decide who starts, who sits on the bench, and who gets cut? That seems absolutely insane to me. But maybe I've just been wrong and head coaches other than a few notable ones like Belichick or Ryan don't have that much autonomy. But outside of whoever is taking direction from Al Davis I thought for sure it was a coach's job to decide things like that.

How does your team's head coach interact with the front office? Is one significantly more powerful than the other?

Raiderz4Life
09-28-2011, 11:41 PM
2 words. Al Davis

yo123
09-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Too much..

Jvig43
09-28-2011, 11:53 PM
All of it.

descendency
09-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Belichick has full authority to do whatever the hell he wants, including ignore obvious needs while continuing to draft TEs and DBs early while waiting to fill important positions like OLB/DE and DE/DT late in the draft.

Job Reborn
09-29-2011, 12:20 AM
Why didn't Peyton want Tyron on the field?

CashmoneyDrew
09-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Jim Caldwell is basically a fan that gets paid to watch on the sidelines every week. I wonder if the Colts will use this season as an excuse to maybe get a new head coach that isn't a complete figurehead.

nepg
09-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Jim Caldwell is basically a fan that gets paid to watch on the sidelines every week. I wonder if the Colts will use this season as an excuse to maybe get a new head coach that isn't a complete figurehead.
Tough to conjure too many coaches that wouldn't mess with Tom Moore and the other coaches that have been there forever. I think Bill Cowher would do a great job there. He's more of a manager, and the only big change I see him making is on the defense...which is obviously needed. Peyton Manning playing his last few years with a Blitzburgh defense? As a Pats fan, I wouldn't like that.

Pat Sims 90
09-29-2011, 12:54 AM
Mike Brown does not share power. Marvin Lewis is his puppet why do you think he has been there so long.

JETS5128
09-29-2011, 01:13 AM
Doesn't really surprise me that Polian wanted a puppet as HC, hopefully this year makes him realize that it wont work

SickwithIt1010
09-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Tough to conjure too many coaches that wouldn't mess with Tom Moore and the other coaches that have been there forever. I think Bill Cowher would do a great job there. He's more of a manager, and the only big change I see him making is on the defense...which is obviously needed. Peyton Manning playing his last few years with a Blitzburgh defense? As a Pats fan, I wouldn't like that.

I dont think Cowher would be too interested in Indy. I think he is looking for a team closer to a finished product on the defensive side of the ball.

BRAVEHEART
09-29-2011, 02:54 AM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/816953/SCHWARTZ_MFERS.gif

killxswitch
09-29-2011, 08:21 AM

Somebody (gosh I wonder who) already ran Tom Moore off, he is a coach either with the Eagles or Jets now, can't remember. I think Jets.

I can't imagine a real coach like Cowher ever agreeing to work under an idiot control freak like Bill Polian. If BP isn't fired this year I doubt Caldwell will be replaced.

BuckeyeDan17
09-29-2011, 10:43 AM
I think we've a got a good front office structure (for the first time since...?) Heckert brings in the troops with input from Holmgren, which is fine. They just let Shurmur do his thing. Shurmur calls the offense too, lets Jauran (sp?) do his own thing. I think we have a decent thing going here.

Nalej
09-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Why didn't Peyton want Tyron on the field?

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0902/i-see-what-you-did-there-demotivational-poster-1235491617.jpg

dukelionsm
09-29-2011, 10:51 AM
AJ Smith is the master of puppets!

WT01
09-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Pretty sure that Pete Carroll is the most powerful guy in the Seahawks' front office. Owner Paul Allen stays out of personnel decisions (thankfully) and so Carroll really has the final say (though, obviously, GM John Schneider is a huge part of it, unlike when Mike Holmgrem was GM and head coach).

DoughBoy
09-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Obviously Jeff Fisher isn't our coach anymore, but I always felt he had full control on the field by evidence of us fielding the same offensive and defensive philosophy for more than 10+ years (sans when Gregg Williams was D coordinator). However, I feel that he didn't have much say in the draft room, it might have been by design though. It seems like even now coordinators and position coaches get a pick of who they want based on need and value. Jake Locker was 100% a Chris Palmer pick, Akeem Ayers 100% Jerry Gray and Frank Bush, Zach Clayton and Klug were obviously Tracy Rockers guys (coached Clayton in college and said he was involved on taking Klug). Same thing in the Fisher era, it always to be someone else's pick. I'm assuming that's why we took so many high upside players (on par with the Raiders actually), because the coaches thought they could "coach em up". I'm sure other teams do this to a lesser degree, but it just seems like more of a philosophy with the Titans

FUNBUNCHER
09-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Mike Shanahan's pimp hand is made out of titanium steel.
Ask D Mac and Danny Snyder.

He told Danny boy if he tries to pull a Jerruh Jones and pick HIS players, Mike and son are out the door tomorrow.

Timbathia
09-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Thankfully the Broncos current HC has significantly less power than the last.

Rabscuttle
09-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Did Indy hire Gary Coleman just because they knew he would get his lines straight?

J-Mike88
09-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Just today, CB Justin Tryon was cut from the team. Even though he proved last year to be the 2nd best CB on the team he has been in someone's "doghouse" for a while and they've been starting the terrible Jacob Lacey.

Tryon tweeted the news and said that head coach Jim Caldwell wanted to start him, but wasn't allowed to.
Looks like they are making a serious strong push for Andrew Luck.
Fellas, I think Manning has taken his last snap, which is very very sad.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-29-2011, 09:27 PM
This season has been very weird for me as a Colts fan. I've been a fan since '95 so I am not exactly a stranger to losing.

However, I don't remember the front office being such a circus.

Is this normal? Are there other teams out there whose coach isn't allowed to decide who starts, who sits on the bench, and who gets cut? That seems absolutely insane to me. But maybe I've just been wrong and head coaches other than a few notable ones like Belichick or Ryan don't have that much autonomy. But outside of whoever is taking direction from Al Davis I thought for sure it was a coach's job to decide things like that.

How does your team's head coach interact with the front office? Is one significantly more powerful than the other?

Like any organization, it depends on the business dynamic between HC and GM and owner.

Our owner is one of the most classiest owners in the NFL. The GM and Coughlin interact, and the Maras share their opinions but they never butt in, or walk on the sidelines and do anything stupid like that.

It depends if Polian said something or your owner. Either way, coaches coach the team and the GM should buy the groceries for the coach.

Every organization is a unique, but it depends on the owner and how the organization chain of command is. What's yours? Is it the owner who makes these decisions or Polian?

BeerBaron
09-29-2011, 10:31 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/BeerBaron/AndroidCaldwell.jpg

Brent
09-29-2011, 10:38 PM
http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/1685274_o.gif
he's second in command to Trent Baalke. for better or worse.

phlysac
09-29-2011, 10:41 PM
I'd rather Harbaugh be 2nd in command to Baalke than Baalke be 2nd in command to Singletary and McCloughan 2nd in command to Nolan.

BeerBaron
09-30-2011, 07:40 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/30/caldwell-dungy-say-colts-coach-controls-lineup/

Android 19....I mean Jim Caldwell claims to have the power over the lineup.

By "has power" I mean "has power if Polian and Peyton input the correct commands."

LonghornsLegend
09-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Well since Jerry Jones is our coach, I'd say total power?

But in all seriousness, we never have a coach that has too much power. Ask Jimmy Johnson how that works out. Jerry is the one talking about injuries every week, telling reporters who will or won't play early in the week. He's the one talking after games. He'll go out and get alot of players the HC wants but he does have final say, but he doesn't mind getting a certain "type" of player for his HC or coordinators.

Ultimately that's about where it stops.

cmarq83
09-30-2011, 08:37 AM
All of it, and now he's trying to take over the power of other teams (Raiders).

Flyboy
10-01-2011, 10:23 AM
I think it would be fair to say that Sean Payton has quite of bit of 'power' in the decisions that go on.

Shane P. Hallam
10-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Steelers are intriguing. It is a nice teamwork effort between Tomlin and Colbert along with Arians/Lebeau

21ST
10-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan get to do what ever they want really.

scottyboy
10-01-2011, 12:31 PM
yeah the Giants have a real nice balance with Reese and Coughlin. No power struggles or anything really.