PDA

View Full Version : Big Grady, soon to be cut?

Shiver
03-25-2007, 05:06 PM
LINK (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5515139?source=rss)

Don't be surprised if big Atlanta defensive tackle Grady Jackson is cut loose before training camp in a salary cap move.

Maybe the team is concerned about his health. If so, then Ian Scott likely would be the replacement.

Damix
03-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Interesting, he played good as a runstuffer last year for you guys? The Giants had some interest in him last year, could use someone to rotate as well.

Shiver
03-25-2007, 05:37 PM
I hope we don't. Unless his knees are really bad, that is. Because he was mentioned by PFW as a pro-bowl snub.

iloxygenil
03-25-2007, 06:11 PM
He was a Pro Bowl Snub...

d34ng3l021
03-25-2007, 07:26 PM
!!! No way. He was one of, if not the best, defensive players for us last year...We cant just cut him like that.

Shiver
03-25-2007, 07:28 PM
!!! No way. He was one of, if not the best, defensive players for us last year...We cant just cut him like that.

The only justification would be, if his knees are really poor. Which I assume they are. If we cut him, at least that means they will go after Ian Scott. Who is very good, and much younger. It could also mean that the team may go after Amobi Okoye.

scar988
03-25-2007, 09:12 PM
LINK (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5515139?source=rss)

Maybe the team is concerned about his health. If so, then Ian Scott likely would be the replacement.

what the hell does the Denver Post know about Atlanta Shiver? no offense but this doesn't hold much weight IMO.

bearsfan_51
03-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Ian Scott would be a good replacement for Jackson. He's not as talented but he's got a good motor and would be a good compliment to your other DT whose name escapes me right now.

FLORIDA PACKER
03-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Scott isn't really a Nose Tackle is he though? I always thought he was more of Three Technique guy, while Grady is used to clog up the middle and take on double teams, freeing up Rod Coleman(the other DT) and the rest of the line. Grady was a total BEAST when healthy with the Packers, and i was glad to see him do well in Atlanta this season.

catcher_0_3
03-26-2007, 07:59 AM
If Grady is cut would yall be ok with taking Okoye at 8. I know I would, he shows great talent, he's young, and he's played for Petrino at Louisville. But he wouldn't fill the NT position really at all like Grady did, so if we did sign Ian Scott, do you think we would have a 3-man rotation at DT?

D-Rod
03-26-2007, 08:29 AM
if grady is cut, then both okoye and branch become options.

a solid four man rotation at UT/NT is necessary.

i'd rather keep grady and sign scott, since we have too many draft needs to create another one by releasing grady.

D-Rod
03-26-2007, 08:31 AM
oh, yes, scott is definitely a nose tackle. he's not huge, weight wise, but he has good leverage, is very solid against the run, and isn't much of a pass rusher.

bigfanga
03-26-2007, 10:00 AM
I hope this isn't true. I read the other day that Grady was the only d-line starter who played every game last year. This definitely swings momentum towards Okoye as the pick at #8 which wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit.

mahnee
03-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Anybody hear any word on the progress w/ Ian Scott? AJC reports this morning that he'll likely resign with the Bears although the Bears signed Anthony Adams this weekend. Please let me know if you guys hear anything else

iloxygenil
03-26-2007, 12:01 PM
I didn't see that report...but the AJC isn't a really good read anyway. Its sad how pitiful Atlanta's Journalism is. Anyway...yeah...I hope we can sign him away, but I don't know, depends how much $$$ he is looking at.

Shiver
03-26-2007, 12:59 PM
According to the Chicago Tribune; Ian Scott is expected to sign with Atlanta. I suspect, if so, Grady Jackson will be gone.

bearsfan_51
03-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Scott isn't really a Nose Tackle is he though? I always thought he was more of Three Technique guy, while Grady is used to clog up the middle and take on double teams, freeing up Rod Coleman(the other DT) and the rest of the line. Grady was a total BEAST when healthy with the Packers, and i was glad to see him do well in Atlanta this season.
Ian is a nose tackle. He's a clogger, albeit not as large as your traditional nose.

bearsfan_51
03-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Anybody hear any word on the progress w/ Ian Scott? AJC reports this morning that he'll likely resign with the Bears although the Bears signed Anthony Adams this weekend. Please let me know if you guys hear anything else
It's suspected that with the signing of Adams the Bears are no longer interested in Scott.

scar988
03-26-2007, 01:29 PM
According to the Chicago Tribune; Ian Scott is expected to sign with Atlanta. I suspect, if so, Grady Jackson will be gone.

doubt it shiver. the denver paper is doing nothing mroe than speculating./

Shiver
03-26-2007, 01:34 PM
He's 34 years old, with really bad knees, and the team is openly trying to sign a starting caliber NT. I wouldn't dismiss it.

bigfanga
03-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Anybody that's as big as Grady is going to have joint problems from simply moving about normally. Add to that the fact that he plays in a brutal (by design) sport and it really is a miracle that he can move around at all.

I agree that the team needs to be grooming his eventual replacement. That said, I would be disappointed if they cut him loose this year.

mahnee
03-26-2007, 02:57 PM
I didn't see that report...but the AJC isn't a really good read anyway. Its sad how pitiful Atlanta's Journalism is. Anyway...yeah...I hope we can sign him away, but I don't know, depends how much $$$ he is looking at.

What you mean Terrence Moore isn't up for the Pulitzer anytime soon? LOL...I read that in the AJC so I needed to confirm from a reliable source. Thanks guys!

Draft King
03-26-2007, 06:37 PM
I hope we let him stay on this team for at least another year, until he proves he doesn't deserve it. He played great and shined on our defense last year, which is rare for a NT, especially one that size.