PDA

View Full Version : Nick Perry, DE / OLB, USC

Duffman57
09-29-2011, 01:12 AM
From what i've seen this year, of the top pass rusher prospects, he's EASILY been the best, getting constant pressure on guys and consistently drawing holding calls. Just in the few games i've seen, Utah, ASU, and i thought i saw another one but maybe not, he's drawn a 2 or 3 holding calls in each game, and has been a bother in the backfield all of both games when he's in.

He looks like a beast, when he's bull rushing and can absolutely murder people with his quickness. According to Tony Pauline, he's already leaning towards entering the draft and according to "Those close with the program" he is a very legit 4.6 guy standing at 6'3" 265 right now. Has played out of a 2 pt stance both dropping into coverage and rushing and has looked good.

I think he may just move all the way up to my #1 3-4 OLB spot in my rankings.

BRAVEHEART
09-29-2011, 02:46 AM
Has the athletcism to play 3-4 OLB, but (IMO) his best fit is at DE. Powerful guy for his size, and plays very low (causes O-linemenn to hold once he dips through them). He get's held a lot more than what's called (but I guess that happens to all the elite D-linemen). Pete Carroll moved him all around his first year at campus, but coming off the edge is his home.

DraftSavant
09-29-2011, 11:13 AM
His burst off the edge would normally worry me, as his entire pass rushing game is based off the bullrush. His closing speed is much better than his burst off the line.

However, I had the same concerns about Kerrigan. The two are actually very similar as players.

Duffman57
09-29-2011, 01:38 PM
His burst off the edge would normally worry me, as his entire pass rushing game is based off the bullrush. His closing speed is much better than his burst off the line.

However, I had the same concerns about Kerrigan. The two are actually very similar as players.

Though his burst off the line isn't elite, he does have good burst going around the edge and is more of a power to speed rusher coming off the edge. To be honest he reminds me quite a bit of Shaun Merriman with just a bit less athleticism, or maybe a bit of Lamar Woodley with a bit more athleticism. He's a mix right in between those two IMO.

As for him not being a great fit in a 34, I also have to disagree with that, this year when he has rushed off the edge out of a 2 pt stance, he has looked really good, and has also looked pretty comfortable dropping back in coverage, but even as a 34 OLB he's stilll likely olny going to be dropping into coverage upwards of 5 times a game if that, very similarly to Merriman.

RaiderNation
09-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Everson Griffen 2.0?

Brown Leader
09-30-2011, 02:01 AM
Less explosive Greg Hardy.

Duffman57
09-30-2011, 02:02 AM
Less explosive Greg Hardy.

Lol, how do you get that comparison? Not even close...

BRAVEHEART
09-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Everson Griffen 2.0?

Naw, Griffin was heavier, more athletic, but stupid and lacked heart/motor/desire. Perry's motor is always on, and he has a better chance than Everson did at being a 3-4 OLB (but I still say Perry is a Defensive end). Griffin had more pass-rushing moves aswell (Perry will either dip under a Tackle, or rush through them).