PDA

View Full Version : What coaches should never have been fired?

Ness
09-29-2011, 01:50 AM
I'll start with my team's last playoff coach in Steve Maricuci. Obviously the 49ers were in salary cap trouble, but at the same time I felt that making a change even though we got blasted in the divisional round by the Buccaneers was not a good idea. Our team next season went 7-9, and it was a team that was fully capable of making a postseason run. But with Erickson in charged (he should have never been hired in my opinion) things weren't meshing well, we lost a lot of games by a few amount of points, and we ended up in a tailspin. San Francisco hasn't been back to the playoffs since.

Mike Shanahan is another coach I think should have been given one more year in Denver as well. I'm not that close to the Denver Broncos though, so I'm not sure how their fanbase feels about that.

TACKLE
09-29-2011, 01:58 AM
Marty Schottenheimer in San Diego, Mike Sherman in Green Bay and Tom Cable in Oakland all come to mind.

nobodyinparticular
09-29-2011, 02:00 AM
Marty Schottenheimer in San Diego, Mike Sherman in Green Bay and Tom Cable in Oakland all come to mind.

Tom Cable was not fired. His contract was up. Al Davis decided to go in a different direction. Are you really going to blame him with a 2-1 start and an impressive win over the NY Jets?

bucfan12
09-29-2011, 02:03 AM

Hm, Green Bay probably isn't regretting that decision going with Mike McCarthy.

I agree 100% with Schottenheimer. He was an excellent coach and the Chargers organization was just too impatient.

Tom Cable isn't even doing a good job in Seattle as an o-line coach. I think they made the right move going with Hue Jackson.

In my take, I'm going the complete oppositie. How does Marvin Lewis still ahve a job in Cincinatti? Worse? How was he resigned when his contract was up after last year?

Pat Sims 90
09-29-2011, 02:42 AM
Sam Wyche should have never been fired by Mike Brown, but Brown is a dumbass so what do you expect. The Bengals awesome coachs after that were:

Dave Shula
Bruce Coslet
Dick LeBeau
Marvin Lewis

TitanHope
09-29-2011, 03:45 AM
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/tenhou/bumoil.jpg

papa burgundy
09-29-2011, 04:22 AM
Mooch deserved every bit of being fired. He was a conservative ***** who lost games because he didn't want to run up the score on his buddies.

That situation turned to **** because Terry Donahue hired HIS buddy Dennis Erickson without an interview after a ******** coaching search that involved such riveting candidates like Jim Mora Jr and Ted Cottrell.

jrdrylie
09-29-2011, 08:02 AM

I agree 100% with Schottenheimer. He was an excellent coach and the Chargers organization was just too impatient.

Tom Cable isn't even doing a good job in Seattle as an o-line coach. I think they made the right move going with Hue Jackson.

In my take, I'm going the complete oppositie. How does Marvin Lewis still ahve a job in Cincinatti? Worse? How was he resigned when his contract was up after last year?

I don't think the Chargers were too impatient with Schottenheimer. He had five years. And yes, he had a good record. But the consensus was that every year, the Chargers were the most talented team in the league. But they couldn't get it done in the playoffs. That is on the coach. The goal is to win a Super Bowl. It doesn't matter if you go 16-0 every year, if you lose in the first round of the playoffs every year, you have to go.

A coach I don't think should have been fired was Tom Coughlin. Just look at Jack Del Rio now. Coughlin starter with an expansion team. Del Rio did not. Both coached for 8 seasons. Coughlin was 68-60. Del Rio is 65-63. Coughlin got to two AFC Championship games. Del Rio has none. I don't know how Coughlin got fired and Del Rio still has a job.

descendency
09-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Shanahan was fired because he sucked as the personnel guy.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-68hk4oZPvWA/TjHDty1et7I/AAAAAAAAAmc/gYzdgxOtdxk/s1600/bill-parcells.jpg

Just pick a team. He was probably fired from it.

TimmG6376
09-29-2011, 08:34 AM
Shanahan was fired because he sucked as the personnel guy.

As was Sherman. Well that and being too loyal to assistant coaches who weren't getting the job done.

Sherman was a pretty good coach under Wolf, however, when he took the dual role of Coach/GM he was in over his head and things went downhill.

bantx
09-29-2011, 10:25 AM

But we have all the patience in the world for Norv :l

Iamcanadian
09-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Cleveland should never have fired BB. End of story.

dukelionsm
09-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Schottenheimer should NOT have been fired, but it was inevitable. AJ Smith is an egomaniac and likes "puppets". He is in the mold of Al Davis and while he was praised for his early Draft Day acquisitions, the state we are in right now makes no difference. The one thing with Schotty is that he took over a mess and rebuilt the team from the ground up. We played smash mouth football and were tough as nails on Defense, which NOW we are very "finesse" under Norv (can't wait to **** can his ass). Regardless my point is, he was a dead man walking and would not have made it much longer with the Franchise as he was not a "yes man"

Ness
09-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Mooch deserved every bit of being fired. He was a conservative ***** who lost games because he didn't want to run up the score on his buddies.

That situation turned to **** because Terry Donahue hired HIS buddy Dennis Erickson without an interview after a ******** coaching search that involved such riveting candidates like Jim Mora Jr and Ted Cottrell.

The only game I remember Mariucci not running up the score and then resting his players is the Bears game in 2001. I think. Other than that he wasn't that conservative and the 49ers were playoff contenders with him. They haven't even sniffed the playoffs since his departure.

TheFinisher
09-29-2011, 02:40 PM
http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/jimmyjohnson.jpg

Coming off back to back Superbowls and Jerry's ego felt it wasn't getting enough credit. SMH, who knows how many Superbowls we could have won...

Splat
09-29-2011, 02:41 PM
I disagree on Mike Shanahan it was time for him to go.

I'm not saying he isn't a good coach but it was time for a change.

Matthew Jones
09-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Tom Cable was not fired. His contract was up. Al Davis decided to go in a different direction. Are you really going to blame him with a 2-1 start and an impressive win over the NY Jets?

He was also punching out assistants.

keylime_5
09-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Cleveland should never have fired BB. End of story.

he was a good coach, but they gave him personnel power, and he was the worst drafter in the league not named Millen.

keylime_5
09-29-2011, 04:28 PM
The year the Chargers fired Schottenheimer, the team went 14-2 and had the best record. Of course they follow up Marty with Norv Turner who never have and never will succeed as a head coach despite being given a bazillion tries. Well they don't call AJ Smith the "Lord of No Rings" without reason.

Raiderz4Life
09-29-2011, 04:29 PM
SD shouda known Norv wouldn't work when the Raiders fired him.

Matthew Jones
09-29-2011, 04:38 PM
SD shouda known Norv wouldn't work when the Raiders fired him.

Just like Jon Gruden? The jury's still out on Hue Jackson but recently Oakland has been considered an undesirable place to coach.

Raiderz4Life
09-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Gruden wasn't fired. He was traded and he had success in Oakland. Norv sucked ass and was fired.

papa burgundy
09-29-2011, 05:04 PM
The only game I remember Mariucci not running up the score and then resting his players is the Bears game in 2001. I think. Other than that he wasn't that conservative and the 49ers were playoff contenders with him. They haven't even sniffed the playoffs since his departure.

He also shut it down against his buddies Marty Mornhinweg and Mike Holmgrem late that almost cost the team games. Not to mention he refused to show any balls against Steve Spurrier after Spurrier tried to embarrass Mooch in the pre-season.

I like Mooch .. I've met him before and he's a really nice down to Earth guy. However .. he is TOO nice to be a head coach .. he never knew when to go for the throat against inferior teams.

And as far as the playoff thing .. that has nothing to do with Mooch. That's due to the **** talent we've had for the past 10 years. We haven't been to the playoffs since we've had TO either .. he's available maybe we should pick HIM up so we can magically become a playoff team again.

T-RICH49
09-29-2011, 05:16 PM
he was'nt fired but I still wish Marty never left KC

NY+Giants=NYG
09-29-2011, 05:27 PM
We should have promoted Bill B instead of hiring Ray Handley. But other than that I think we made good decisions.

TACKLE
09-29-2011, 05:28 PM

I don't think it was a bad move and I like Hue, I just think Cable deserved a chance to continue to build on the success he was having.

nobodyinparticular
09-29-2011, 05:54 PM
I don't think it was a bad move and I like Hue, I just think Cable deserved a chance to continue to build on the success he was having.

When the situation went down, I had a knee-jerk reaction that it was a bad move because I wanted to keep head coach continuity for once. The Raiders have had so many head coaches in the past decade--heck even the past 2 decades dating back to Art Shell Pt 1--I feel the Raiders needed to settle down. Cable had redeeming qualities--he had the players on his side, especially Nnamdi Asomugha, Zach Miller, Robert Gallery and Shane Lechler (funny how all 3 of those FAs are now gone). He got the guys to play up for the AFC West. Cable even grew up a Raider fan--it was his dream to coach the Raiders.

But as the dust settled, before any new hire was made, I looked at the negatives Cable brought to the table. Specifically, he brought a lot of negative press with multiple assault/battery charges between ex-wives and ex-coaches, he had his lady friend fly over on road trips rather than focusing on the team, etc. Cable had significant deficiencies when it came to game planning and play calling. And the biggest thing in my mind--he did not hold the team to a high standard, famously declaring "We're not losers any more!" after a 31-10 drubbing of AFCW rival, playoff bound Kansas City Chiefs. Great, so the Raiders aren't the bottom feeders any more. Great, so the Raiders went 6-0 in their division, but they came out flat against the Titans, Cardinals, Rams (got lucky on that one), 49ers, Steelers, Texans, Dolphins, Jaguars and Colts.

Take those into consideration and maybe it was a good call for Davis to choose to move away from the coach who seemed to be okay with mediocrity and brought a lot of baggage to the table.

FUNBUNCHER
09-29-2011, 07:12 PM

Verloren
09-29-2011, 11:15 PM
And as far as the playoff thing .. that has nothing to do with Mooch. That's due to the **** talent we've had for the past 10 years. We haven't been to the playoffs since we've had TO either .. he's available maybe we should pick HIM up so we can magically become a playoff team again.
A torn ACL for a NFL player usually takes at least 1 year to recover from.

RaiderNation
09-29-2011, 11:28 PM
Hue Jackson>>>> Tom Cable. Cable is a good motivator sure, but when it comes to the X's and O's Hue clearly has the edge. Wouldn't put him behind Cable as a motivator either, he clearly has this team buying into the being a bully theme on offense and defense.

DMC for MVP

Xenos
09-30-2011, 12:02 AM
The year the Chargers fired Schottenheimer, the team went 14-2 and had the best record. Of course they follow up Marty with Norv Turner who never have and never will succeed as a head coach despite being given a bazillion tries. Well they don't call AJ Smith the "Lord of No Rings" without reason.
The only people that called AJ Smith that are Vincent Jackson's idiot agents. I hate those two so much for what happened last year.

As for what happened with Marty...what does it say that Norv was able to go further in the playoffs than Marty. The former was just snakebitten when it came to the playoffs. He's a great coach to help rebuild a franchise but there was just something about him and playoffs.

I'm not laying the blame on Marty, but what happened between him and AJ was personal. It had absolutely nothing to do with Marty not being a "yes man" as some posters like to put it. It had a lot to do IMO about what happened between them after AJ took over for Butler (who passed away right before the 2003 draft).

Ness
09-30-2011, 12:02 AM
He also shut it down against his buddies Marty Mornhinweg and Mike Holmgrem late that almost cost the team games. Not to mention he refused to show any balls against Steve Spurrier after Spurrier tried to embarrass Mooch in the pre-season.

I like Mooch .. I've met him before and he's a really nice down to Earth guy. However .. he is TOO nice to be a head coach .. he never knew when to go for the throat against inferior teams.

We're talking about a coach though, and not a player. Mariucci rebuilt that 49ers team after Steve Young and a lot of other veterans either retired or left. Him and his staff actually made guys like Derek Smith or Ahmed Plummer look good. As for Owens, the last time he was here we had a losing record. I would have taken my chances with Mariucci over Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan, or Mike Singletary thank you.

senormysterioso
09-30-2011, 12:20 AM
I thought Herm Edwards was a good coach. I think that Kansas City has organizational problems that extend far beyond the head coach. Everybody that has taken that job since Marty has been run out of the league. I liked Jim Zorn when he got the Redskins job too. It's hard to say that a guy shouldn't be fired though when they aren't succeeding.

ElectricEye
09-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Eric Mangini. In Cleveland, anyway. From what I saw, he did a HELL of a job there last year and just ran into a management change.

descendency
09-30-2011, 12:51 AM
Eric Mangini. In Cleveland, anyway. From what I saw, he did a HELL of a job there last year and just ran into a management change.

I think other NFL teams realize this and Mangini might be waiting for a good opportunity to come around... *cough new york cough*

wogitalia
09-30-2011, 12:57 AM
I'm gonna say it...

Brad Childress...

Ok... that felt awful and I don't even agree, I just wanted to vent about how freaking bad Frazier has been. Still don't get why we hired him he was never any good as the DC, so not sure why we wanted him as the HC!

Seriously though, I just wish we would hire a good coach for once though with out talent level it probably doesn't matter.

Timbathia
09-30-2011, 01:14 AM
I disagree on Mike Shanahan it was time for him to go.

I'm not saying he isn't a good coach but it was time for a change.

Shanahan had pretty much the worst defense in the league when he left. He had no clue how to draft good def players and started a carousel at DC. His offensive genius classification was also well overstated. He wasnt a bad coach, but the Broncos were due for a change.

Ness
09-30-2011, 01:21 AM
I'm gonna say it...

Brad Childress...

Ok... that felt awful and I don't even agree, I just wanted to vent about how freaking bad Frazier has been. Still don't get why we hired him he was never any good as the DC, so not sure why we wanted him as the HC!

Seriously though, I just wish we would hire a good coach for once though with out talent level it probably doesn't matter.

If Frazier gets fired you know what we're all going to say right? I'm actually looking forward to it.

NotRickJames
09-30-2011, 02:03 AM
Here's one - Cam Cameron.

Agreed on Cable, although Hue has been great so far.

TonyGfortheTD
09-30-2011, 03:27 AM
I thought Herm Edwards was a good coach. I think that Kansas City has organizational problems that extend far beyond the head coach. Everybody that has taken that job since Marty has been run out of the league. I liked Jim Zorn when he got the Redskins job too. It's hard to say that a guy shouldn't be fired though when they aren't succeeding.

You're confusing a good motivator for a good coach. Herm was a great motivator and could talk a homeless dude into giving him the cardboard box they lived in, but couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

His game day decision making would make even Andy Reid laugh.

I'm really shocked he's not a coach on the college level, though. Pair him with a good set of coordinators and he'd likely have a lot of success.

TheMorningZoo
09-30-2011, 09:54 AM
The only people that called AJ Smith that are Vincent Jackson's idiot agents. I hate those two so much for what happened last year.

As for what happened with Marty...what does it say that Norv was able to go further in the playoffs than Marty. The former was just snakebitten when it came to the playoffs. He's a great coach to help rebuild a franchise but there was just something about him and playoffs.

I'm not laying the blame on Marty, but what happened between him and AJ was personal. It had absolutely nothing to do with Marty not being a "yes man" as some posters like to put it. It had a lot to do IMO about what happened between them after AJ took over for Butler (who passed away right before the 2003 draft).

I agree with most of what you are saying, but they had their differences. For one we all know how Marty wanted Brees, while AJ favored Rivers. Obviously it worked out for both sides (as I was not a Brees fan back then). Brees was coming off that nasty shoulder injury and we had a lot invested in Rivers. Next was the fact Marty wanted to bring in his son to run the O, and of course AJ disagreed. I always looked at Marty as a Franchise rebuilder. Norv came into a situation with the best team in the league at the time skill wise, or at least top 3-and has done jack. I think he is gone by the end of this year unless we win the SB, which the way we look so far doesn't bode well.

papa burgundy
09-30-2011, 07:57 PM
We're talking about a coach though, and not a player. Mariucci rebuilt that 49ers team after Steve Young and a lot of other veterans either retired or left. Him and his staff actually made guys like Derek Smith or Ahmed Plummer look good. As for Owens, the last time he was here we had a losing record. I would have taken my chances with Mariucci over Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan, or Mike Singletary thank you.

1. Derek Smith never looked good. I'd think having watched guys like Willis Spikes and now Bowman make tackles around the LOS and not get dragged 10 yards down field would make you realize that.

2. OMG he made Ahmed Plummer - a 1st round pick - look somewhat decent when he wasn't injured? WHAT A FANTASTIC COACH!!

3. Mooch didn't rebuild anything. It was Walsh who found Garcia when Mooch didn't want him. Otherwise Mooch would've had Rick Mirer running his offense after Young got hurt and would've been fired before 2002.

4. Never said Mooch was worse than Erickson, Nolan, or Singletary. Like I said .. the bad move wasn't firing Mooch, but allowing Terry Donahue to hire his doofus buddy Dennis Erickson.

Jughead10
09-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Eric Mangini in NY. And he never really got a fair chance in Cleveland either.

He got stuck with a QB he never wanted because his owner was in love with the marquee name. Rex came in and has won but I'm not convinced Mangini couldn't have done the same. I also think the drafting has taken a hit since he left. I know Tannenbaum is a very hands on GM but the drafting hasn't been as good.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Marty Schottenheimer in San Diego, Mike Sherman in Green Bay and Tom Cable in Oakland all come to mind.Tom Cable was average in Atlanta,average in Oakland, and he'll be average in Seattle.
I really wonder why he gets alot of the credit for Oakland being 8-8 last season. In 09 the offense finished 31st in scoring and in 10 Hue Jackson was hired and the offense finshed 6th in scoring. Cable did create a buffer between Al and the players. But, he wasn't a coach that really inspired or pushed players. There were also plenty of games where the team just didn't show up to play. While continuity could be a point some would bring up, there was never any indication that Cable could lead the team to a Super Bowl eventually.

Ness
09-30-2011, 08:51 PM
1. Derek Smith never looked good. I'd think having watched guys like Willis Spikes and now Bowman make tackles around the LOS and not get dragged 10 yards down field would make you realize that.

2. OMG he made Ahmed Plummer - a 1st round pick - look somewhat decent when he wasn't injured? WHAT A FANTASTIC COACH!!

3. Mooch didn't rebuild anything. It was Walsh who found Garcia when Mooch didn't want him. Otherwise Mooch would've had Rick Mirer running his offense after Young got hurt and would've been fired before 2002.

4. Never said Mooch was worse than Erickson, Nolan, or Singletary. Like I said .. the bad move wasn't firing Mooch, but allowing Terry Donahue to hire his doofus buddy Dennis Erickson.

1. Before 2004 Smith was good. Not great, but good. It wasn't until his later years that he really started sucking and being dragged back on every tackle.

2. Yes, guys like Plummer, Webster, Streets, Parrish, Ulbrich, Schulters, etc. were playmakers during their tenure with Mariucci. Afterwards, no.

3. Mariucci still had to bring in players himself though with veterans like Norton Jr., Hanks, and McDonald left the team. I think we had the youngest defense in 2001, and they performed very well. In 2002 they were decent too.

4. I know you didn't say that, I'm just telling you I would have rather rode the pine with Mooch and see what happened other what has happened since he left.

Thecollegedropout
09-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Eric Mangini in NY. And he never really got a fair chance in Cleveland either.

He got stuck with a QB he never wanted because his owner was in love with the marquee name. Rex came in and has won but I'm not convinced Mangini couldn't have done the same. I also think the drafting has taken a hit since he left. I know Tannenbaum is a very hands on GM but the drafting hasn't been as good.
Mangini's loyalty to Brian Schottenheimer and Bob Sutton was his downfall. Sutton was an awful defensive coordinator but Mangini stood by him throughout despite Sutton's inability to make proper adjustments, and working with a protect defense. Brian Schottenheimer's awful conservative calls also did him in and its going to keep the Jets out of the super bowl unless he is let go. Mangini is a good football mind but when it comes to motivating his players and needing to make a change, he just could not do it.

Mangini decided to dump the QB who took him to his lone playoff appearance in Pennington and got burned for it big time.

And Mangini insisted on Vernon Gholston....yeah he was apart of David Harris, Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Fergerson being drafted but the Gholston bust was one that stood out on Mangini.

Jets were glad Mangini went to Cleveland though.....without him Mark Sanchez doesn't become a Jet and who knows what will be of the Jets QB position.

Jughead10
09-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Mangini's loyalty to Brian Schottenheimer and Bob Sutton was his downfall. Sutton was an awful defensive coordinator but Mangini stood by him throughout despite Sutton's inability to make proper adjustments, and working with a protect defense. Brian Schottenheimer's awful conservative calls also did him in and its going to keep the Jets out of the super bowl unless he is let go. Mangini is a good football mind but when it comes to motivating his players and needing to make a change, he just could not do it.

Mangini decided to dump the QB who took him to his lone playoff appearance in Pennington and got burned for it big time.

And Mangini insisted on Vernon Gholston....yeah he was apart of David Harris, Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Fergerson being drafted but the Gholston bust was one that stood out on Mangini.

Jets were glad Mangini went to Cleveland though.....without him Mark Sanchez doesn't become a Jet and who knows what will be of the Jets QB position.

The Jets could be exactly where they are with several other QBs in this league. I wouldn't hold that against Mangini.

I wouldn't blame him for Schotty. He's still there. Someone upstairs must like him.

Thecollegedropout
09-30-2011, 09:16 PM
The Jets could be exactly where they are with several other QBs in this league. I wouldn't hold that against Mangini.

I wouldn't blame him for Schotty. He's still there. Someone upstairs must like him.
Mangini's inability to develop a young QB also hurt him. Kellen Clemens was Mangini's guy and Clemens just did nothing as a Jet, including basically forcing the Jets to try the Favre experiment as Clemens looked awful in training camp.

Oh I know Schotty is still there and he really needs to be let go as he hasn't learned a single thing when he was 1st hired in 2006. He should have been gone with Mangini and Sutton but he got kept in 2009. I think at this point, Rex and Mr. T(Him in particular) just don't want Sanchez learning a completely new offense if Schotty were to get canned in 2010 or 2011.

descendency
09-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Here's one - Cam Cameron.

Explain, please.

yo123
09-30-2011, 10:43 PM
If Frazier gets fired you know what we're all going to say right? I'm actually looking forward to it.

No I don't, but if it's anything endorsing Brad Childress it's 100% completely wrong.

papa burgundy
09-30-2011, 11:13 PM
1. Before 2004 Smith was good. Not great, but good. It wasn't until his later years that he really started sucking and being dragged back on every tackle.

2. Yes, guys like Plummer, Webster, Streets, Parrish, Ulbrich, Schulters, etc. were playmakers during their tenure with Mariucci. Afterwards, no.

3. Mariucci still had to bring in players himself though with veterans like Norton Jr., Hanks, and McDonald left the team. I think we had the youngest defense in 2001, and they performed very well. In 2002 they were decent too.

4. I know you didn't say that, I'm just telling you I would have rather rode the pine with Mooch and see what happened other what has happened since he left.

1. No. Smith was never good. He was always a terrible tackler. It just took people to finally notice it when he was playing next to a guy like Willis who makes every tackle.

- Ahmed Plummer: He had a grand total of 1 healthy year after Mooch left. His "play making" abilities didn't drop off any consider he had his 2nd best year *statistically* in 2003.
- Jason Webster: Holy **** @ calling Webster a "play maker". He was decent in coverage, but he was one of the worst players I've ever seen at playing the ball when it was in the air. Was the same exact player with the Falcons.
- Tai Streets: Was with Mooch on the Lions .. did nothing.
- Tony Parrish: Had his best year here *statistically* in 2003 .. without Mooch.
- Jeff Ulbrich: What "play making" ability dropoff do you see? His 2 years after Mooch left were *statistically* his best. Before he injured his bicep in 2005 and was never the same player.
- Lance Schulters: was a ALL-PRO player with the Titans in 2002.

3. Not sure what you're trying to say here. Mooch had zero front office powers.. so if you're saying he personally brought in all these players then I disagree heavily.

If you're saying that Mooch did a good job at transitioning from those vets to all the rookies then I have no gripes about that.

4. Obviously I'd keep Mooch in hindsight. But at the time .. not thinking Terry Donahue would mess things up as bad as he did .. I think it was worth the risk to find a coach who wouldn't be afraid to pile it on against inferior opponents.

Job Reborn
10-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Mangini's inability to develop a young QB also hurt him. Kellen Clemens was Mangini's guy and Clemens just did nothing as a Jet, including basically forcing the Jets to try the Favre experiment as Clemens looked awful in training camp.

I thought Mangini was a defensive guy. Not sure what he has to do with the development of Kellen Clemens. Not sure, also, how a single, terrible player who wouldn't have developed under any circumstance can really tell much about a coach's ability to develop players.

Thecollegedropout
10-01-2011, 07:25 AM
I thought Mangini was a defensive guy. Not sure what he has to do with the development of Kellen Clemens. Not sure, also, how a single, terrible player who wouldn't have developed under any circumstance can really tell much about a coach's ability to develop players.
Its on Schotty, I agree but I was just referring to why Favre got brought in, even if Mangini may not have wanted it.

Darrelle Revis went from being a good corner into becoming one if not THE best corner in the NFL after Mangini left...Mike DeVito and Sione Pouha were after thoughts under Mangini and are now both D-Line starters on the Jets and efficient ones at that. Likewise the Jets were a middle of the pack defense with Mangini that soon became an eltie defense under Ryan. Yeah Jim Leonhard and Bart Scott got added and replaced Abram Elam and Eric Barton and that certainly helps but Ryan got far more out of the D than Mangini/Sutton ever did.

prock
10-01-2011, 07:36 AM
I'm gonna say it...

Brad Childress...

Brad Childress was a terrible, terrible coach. He was fired a year or two too late.

cvv84
10-01-2011, 10:08 AM

He got fired because he couldn't win with all the decisions (free agency/draft) that he made when he was the GM. He had to go, period.