PDA

View Full Version : C.J. Spiller = Everydown/Feature Back?

shylo3716
09-30-2011, 09:54 PM
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/C+J+Spiller+Miami+Dolphins+v+Buffalo+Bills+HEsPuf1 8V3Yl.jpg

C.J. Spiller was taken #9 overall in the 2010 Draft which was the last time a RB went in the Top 10 since Darren McFadden in 2008. When or if a RB goes in the Top 10 picks of a draft, it is presumed that he will be the everydown/feature back. In the case of Spiller, you have to question is he an everydown back, because he is used for Return purposes and is 2nd on the depth chart behind Fred Jackson.

Is Spiller or will he ever be an everydown/feature back?

Saints-Tigers
09-30-2011, 09:59 PM
He can be, if he stays healthy.

descendency
09-30-2011, 10:30 PM
He won't ever stay healthy.

And I don't believe in that notion that you have to contribute as an "every down back" to be worth the 10th overall pick. Granted, he's not been worth it - but an elite KR and a decent RB with good receiving skills is still worth it. It doesn't matter how you get yards - just that you get them. (and points... let's not forget them)

shylo3716
09-30-2011, 10:47 PM
He won't ever stay healthy.

And I don't believe in that notion that you have to contribute as an "every down back" to be worth the 10th overall pick. Granted, he's not been worth it - but an elite KR and a decent RB with good receiving skills is still worth it. It doesn't matter how you get yards - just that you get them. (and points... let's not forget them)

If that's the case LaMichael James is a Top 10 pick LOL

BufFan71
09-30-2011, 11:23 PM
we wont know as long as fred jackson continues to play like he has been

fenikz
09-30-2011, 11:34 PM
what a kick return

Basileus777
10-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Everydown running backs may not be in vogue in today's NFL, but that doesn't justify drafting a situational player at an expendable position #10 overall. The fact that he can't get playing time because the Bills found a better player out of an UDFA who played in NFL Europe is pretty telling about the decision to draft him that high.

FUNBUNCHER
10-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Spiller will be fine. If the Bills do anything this season in terms of the postseason, Spiller will play a huge role.

Can he be a Clinton Portis type smaller feature RB?? I don't know and I don't think the Bills really care at this point.
If Spiller can generate a handful of big offensive plays a game and on specials, like a Devin Hester, taking him top 10 really isn't that bad a selection.

Rosebud
10-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Are Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles and Shady McCoy? Because Spiller can be that type of threat to score every time he touches the ball who'll get you yards even when he's not taking it to the house while also providing big plays in the passing and for now return game. Not really his fault he's playing behind one of the better RBs in the NFL right now.

Raiderz4Life
10-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Everydown running backs may not be in vogue in today's NFL, but that doesn't justify drafting a situational player at an expendable position #10 overall. The fact that he can't get playing time because the Bills found a better player out of an UDFA who played in NFL Europe is pretty telling about the decision to draft him that high.

Except they had Jackson BEFORE Spiller. So may want to reword that.

Leon Sandcastle
10-01-2011, 03:49 PM
In Week 2 he had like 5 touches and went for 80 something yards. He's a game breaker but it's hard getting him on the field when Fred Jackson is playing like a top 3 RB right now.

As someone else already pointed out he's basically the same size as CJ2K, Jamaal Charles and LeSean McCoy. He can be an everydown back but as a Bills fan I'd much rather use him as a change of pace guy with Jackson.

His problem last year was his penchant for running outside and not going north and south. He's changed that this year so far. He's been pretty good at planting, picking a hole and hitting it.

cvv84
10-01-2011, 04:03 PM
We've been spoiled watching rookie RBs come out of the gates putting up big numbers. It typically takes a few years for RBs to develop just like it did for Darren McFadden, Frank Gore, MJD, and Arian Foster.

Personally I don't think nor did I ever think he would be a feature RB but I'm going to at least give him the benefit of the doubt as he's only been in the league a hair over a season.

Shane P. Hallam
10-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Perhaps Spiller can pull a Darren McFadden...

thenewfeature06
10-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Spiller certainly can play.. more touches and it will happen.

But as long as Fred Jackson is tearing it up we won't see much.. Bills management drafted Spiller because they didn't see Jackson being this good.

Rosebud
10-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Spiller certainly can play.. more touches and it will happen.

But as long as Fred Jackson is tearing it up we won't see much.. Bills management drafted Spiller because they didn't see Jackson being this good.

And that'll happen as the season wears on, weather gets bad and true carries start to add up for Fast Freddie Jackson.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Did Buffalo at least get the CJ Spiller family too?

Because that would make it worth the pick

bigbuc
10-02-2011, 07:35 PM
We are too quick calling these players busts. He still helps his team. He gets on the field. I myself called DMC a bust before last season and now the guy is pound for pound a top 3 back in the NFL. Is CJ going to be a pound the rock 25 times... no.

shylo3716
10-02-2011, 07:36 PM
We are too quick calling these players busts. He still helps his team. He gets on the field. I myself called DMC a bust before last season and now the guy is pound for pound a top 3 back in the NFL. Is CJ going to be a pound the rock 25 times... no.

Who called him a bust?