PDA

View Full Version : Speed Back v. Power Back

PACKmanN
09-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Which would you rather have, a power back or a speed back

discuss

Hurricanes25
09-30-2011, 11:20 PM
The guy who can take it to the house anytime he touches the ball. Speed Back.

Mr. Goosemahn
10-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Which would you rather have, a power back or a speed back

discuss

What exactly do you mean by power back? Like, a slow but powerful runner, or any guy who is powerful?

Because if it's the latter, then power for sure. I'd rather have Adrian Peterson over Chris Johnson any day of the week. And I know that Peterson is very fast, but I consider him a power back over a speed back.

OzTitan
10-01-2011, 12:54 AM
What is the advantage a power runner has over a speed rusher?

If it's something like breaking tackles, then you may be surprised how many "speed" backs are actually leading (or close to) that stat according to sources like FootballOutsiders.

If it's "wearing down a D", well honestly I think the blockers do that mostly, so it's the volume of rushing that tends to do that more than anything, but what a speedy guy might lack in handing out punishing blows he could make up in forcing defenders to run around more.

Getting the hard yards? a good back does that, regardless of size or power. You don't need to bowl over 4 guys to get a 3rd and 2, and I don't think running over people is necessarily more reliable than finding the tiny gaps with speed.

I'd ideally want a RB that almost picks up 3.5 yards per carry every carry, because modern day NFL offense revolves around the QB and the passing game so whatever back can get me that is preferable. Size and style is not important, the results are.

CashmoneyDrew
10-01-2011, 01:10 AM
I want a power/speed back.

A peed back if you will.

Complex
10-01-2011, 01:32 AM
Trung Canidate or Ron Dayne?

Bengalsrocket
10-01-2011, 01:33 AM
Just depends. I really like the way Peyton Hillis carries the ball. But he's not nearly as elite as someone like Chris Johnson.

Where does Adrian Peterson fall? He seems pretty fast (maybe not the fastest ever, but he's definitely not considered slow for a halfback) and yet he still has the ability to lower his shoulder and punish defensive backs.

So I guess if I had to make a choice I would go with power. But it seems all the really great backs usually end up being pretty balanced.

nepg
10-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Trung Canidate or Ron Dayne?
Ron Dayne was a "speed" back...

Adrian Peterson is the ultimate RB.

FUNBUNCHER
10-01-2011, 02:04 AM
Shonn Greene, when healthy.

Rosebud
10-01-2011, 02:36 AM
How about a back who runs really hard, has quick feet, runs with a low center of gravity, has good balance, can make people miss, take it to the house and never gives up on a play? Someone like a healthy non-fumbling Ahmad Bradshaw, MJD or Ray Rice. But that's just because I love watching little tough guys like that scrap.

elway=goat
10-01-2011, 04:40 AM
I have always been fond of teams that played locked down defense, with a conservative run it down your throat offense. Gimme the power back ALA the Bus. I guess those days are long gone now, since Bill Polian has almost accomplished playing defense and running the ball irrelevant.

EvilNixon
10-01-2011, 07:28 AM
I'd rather Darren McFadden

cmarq83
10-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Obviously for me it's Peterson because he's both, but gun to my head I'd take a power back over a speed back.

A guy like Peyton Hillis is perfect for me because he runs hard and is an exceptional receiver out of the back field. I want my running backs to be consistently getting positive yards everytime he touches the ball. To me a guy who goes 10 carries for 40 yards getting 4 yards each play does more to influence the flow of a game than somebody who has 10 carries for 40 yards and gets 30 yards on one of those plays. If you're consistently getting positive yards it effects how defenses play you. They'll attack the LOS more and it'll open things up in the passing game, and give you better down and distance situations. Now for a ton of guys the concept of power vs. speed isn't mutually exclusive, but I'd take a guy like Blount or Shawn Greene over a guy like Felix Jones or Reggie Bush.

Razor
10-01-2011, 09:39 AM
I want both. Enter Adrian Peterson (or Trent Richardson this april). Go **** yourself CJ"2K"... But if I have to choose, I'd take a speed back. Jamaal Charles is the guy I'd take.

keylime_5
10-01-2011, 09:47 AM
You gotta be able to run between the tackles in the NFL to be an elite back. The quick guys with breakaway speed who can do that are the elite ones. So speed back, but you gotta have some power. If it's just between the two with no gray area, power back every time.

Splat
10-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Jamaalzzz.

Rabscuttle
10-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Healthy Garrison Hearst.

TheMorningZoo
10-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Powerback any day of the week.

Yeah it is nice to have a playmaker, an X-Factor who can take it to the house any play, but I would rather have the consistency of a Powerback.

Especially in close games when it is 3rd or 4th down and short, it is comforting having the confidence your back can pick up those yards, which also helps with the big 'Mo.

I would love to have someone in the mold of Natrone Means, Jamaal Lewis, Bettis, etc.

An intriguing pick would be Reggie Bush or LenDale White haha

vidae
10-01-2011, 12:42 PM
A lot of teams have been transitioning to a two back system for a while now, so I choose both! :D

Rosebud
10-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Powerback any day of the week.

Yeah it is nice to have a playmaker, an X-Factor who can take it to the house any play, but I would rather have the consistency of a Powerback.

Especially in close games when it is 3rd or 4th down and short, it is comforting having the confidence your back can pick up those yards, which also helps with the big 'Mo.

I would love to have someone in the mold of Natrone Means, Jamaal Lewis, Bettis, etc.

An intriguing pick would be Reggie Bush or LenDale White haha

*shrug*
While I'd never deny the utility of having a big guy like Brandon Jacobs or Shonn Greene to plow over some backers and DBs, if we're talking about elite backs most of them have the ability to take off for 30+ yards. That's not just a coincidence that those type of runners excel with the league shifting away from the run. Now-a-days you need a Back for short yardage situations but your primary back needs to be able to take advantage of the spread out fields he's seeing running with the ball and in the passing game, so having the speed to make big plays when given the oppurtunity is proving more valuable in today's NFL than having the power to run the ball 25+ times a game right into the heart of big base package. Guys just don't get that oppurtunity because passing the ball has been so incentivized by constant rule changes. This is why so many teams employee a RB committee, you have guys specialized for different situations so no one guy needs to be able to run over defenders all game.

bantx
10-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Mathews/Tolbert :]

bigbluedefense
10-01-2011, 01:04 PM
If I had to pick 1 over the other, give me the power back. I like chewing out the clock with the run game and softening up the front 7.

But obviously ideally you want a guy who can do both. I think the more important question is:

what would you rather have, a dominant RB on the ground who can't pass protect or catch, or a dominant RB in the pass game who can block very well, catch and run routes very well, but is just average as a runner?

That's a more interesting question methinks.

Raiderz4Life
10-01-2011, 01:06 PM
I'll take the latter.

The guy who's an average runner means he's not totally inept at running the ball and will run the well well enough. But in this day in age pass pro and receiving are at a premium and if you can't do either you're not going to see the field.

bigbluedefense
10-01-2011, 01:11 PM
I'll take the latter.

The guy who's an average runner means he's not totally inept at running the ball and will run the well well enough. But in this day in age pass pro and receiving are at a premium and if you can't do either you're not going to see the field.

To be fair, Adrian Peterson is a below average pass protector and catcher out of the backfield and he sees the field plenty.

So it's not black and white. I think I'd probably go with the guy who can catch and pass protect as well though.

A perfect example of this is the Jets backfield. Tomlinson vs Greene. Greene is a great runner (when healthy) but can't catch or protect at all. Tomlinson's days as a runner are behind him, but he's still a great catcher and pass protector, and you see how much more versatile their playbook is when he's in the game opposed to Greene.

The Tomlinson's of the world just open up the playbook a lot more.

Raiderz4Life
10-01-2011, 01:28 PM
To be fair, Adrian Peterson is a below average pass protector and catcher out of the backfield and he sees the field plenty.

So it's not black and white. I think I'd probably go with the guy who can catch and pass protect as well though.

A perfect example of this is the Jets backfield. Tomlinson vs Greene. Greene is a great runner (when healthy) but can't catch or protect at all. Tomlinson's days as a runner are behind him, but he's still a great catcher and pass protector, and you see how much more versatile their playbook is when he's in the game opposed to Greene.

The Tomlinson's of the world just open up the playbook a lot more.

You said average runner though. AD is way past average as a runner.

If you're not gonna contribute too much in the pass game, you better be a hell of a runner.

RaiderNation
10-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I'd rather Darren McFadden

This(10char).

Cudders
10-02-2011, 12:34 AM
If I could only have one or the other, I generally prefer power backs. Granted, that is dependent on the caliber of the back in question, too. If I'm given the choice of an elite speed back or an average power back, I'll obviously take the former. But, all things being equal, give me the power back. It's easier for a power back to keep offenses on schedule, control the clock, and leave the other offense on the sideline. Not to mention their ability to wear down a defense and get stronger as the game goes on.

jayceheathman
10-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Should I choose LenDale White or Reggie Bush?

Miaoww
10-02-2011, 07:41 AM
With the way the rules play these days; whichever is best in pass protection and running the draw.

TheMorningZoo
10-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Obviously when I made my decision I didn't factor players who are all-around, I think that is the problem. LT in his prime, Adrian Peterson, MJD, Steven Jackson-these are all guys who have power, but can also beat you with speed. Maybe not the Chris Johnson's of the world, but they do have a second gear.

I think a third option, well, maybe an "agile, or elusive" back isn't a stereotype that is really used anymore. With the speed on D in the NFL you don't see many guys who run east to west that actually make people miss anymore, more of a college / HS highlight thing I guess.. I just think of Warrick Dunn, Marshall Faulk, Barry, etc.

FUNBUNCHER
10-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Bill Parcells used to say he wanted a RB who could make at least tackler miss in the open field.
That can be a 200# RB or a 230# RB. I really never understood what he meant by that statement to be honest, since most 'backs, except fullbacks have the ability to make one guy miss in the open field.
Maybe he meant a RB who could actually make a cut going through a hole, which IMO very few RBs can do.