PDA

View Full Version : NYG S Chad Jones to run 40 Wednesday

CrackerJack465
10-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Pretty amazing story. The former LSU safety will be running the 40 this Wednesday for the first time since his life threatening car accident last summer. For people who are unaware of the story:

*GRAPHIC IMAGES IN VIDEO*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RN0UIuW8GE&feature=related

Article: http://mobile.nola.com/advnola/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=oLqTGGPg&full=true#display

"Chad Jones does squats, works to strengthen his hamstring and loosen his Achilles, runs a series of 10-yard splits, and soon will cut loose with a timed, official 40-yard dash in front of family, friends and as many fans as want to attend. And none of that would be significant if he weren't doing it with a left leg that appeared destined for amputation.

The limb was so horrifically damaged in a June 25, 2010, car accident that a reasonable forecast was that he'd never walk again. That kept him "on my back, not able to walk by myself" for the better part of five months."

This is truly amazing:

"If, as strength and flexibility coach Carter Stamm and speed coach Derrick Joseph attest, his 10-yard splits are better than the ones he ran at the NFL Combine, why not be hopeful?

If work is being done to improve his bench-press repetitions (he did fewer than 10 at the Combine, and the expectation is that he'll progress to 15 or 20) and the belief is that his 40 times (reportedly 4.57 seconds at the Combine) will be matched or improved by the spring, why not think there's a chance?

"Derrick, Carter and I think at this point we can make Chad faster than he was before the car accident and a better athlete in the long run."

I root for him and hope he can play one day. It could really be something if both he and Herzlich could start one day for the Giants.

bigbluedefense
10-01-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm obviously rooting for the guy, but I'll be shocked if his career isn't over.

Brent
10-01-2011, 12:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RN0UIuW8GE&feature=related
just a head's up for others, there are some gross pics of his leg.

XxXdragonXxX
10-01-2011, 12:52 PM
I remember seeing pictures of the car when it happened, looked like he should have died.

Rosebud
10-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm obviously rooting for the guy, but I'll be shocked if his career isn't over.

I hear you, but who knows, he could become a good special teamer if he's every really able to play again.

bigbluedefense
10-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I hear you, but who knows, he could become a good special teamer if he's every really able to play again.

I just don't see it. When your leg was almost amputated, your career is over. I don't care how muscular you get again, how fast you run your 40 in a straight line etc.

When he's gotta run full speed, plant, sink his hips, and run in the other direction...something is gonna tear. He's done, he should just take care of his health and hopefully use his education.

Rosebud
10-01-2011, 01:03 PM
I just don't see it. When your leg was almost amputated, your career is over. I don't care how muscular you get again, how fast you run your 40 in a straight line etc.

When he's gotta run full speed, plant, sink his hips, and run in the other direction...something is gonna tear. He's done, he should just take care of his health and hopefully use his education.

Probably but I'm not a doctor nor am I following his rehab. If he can run again without falling apart he can play special teams. Do I ever think he'll play defense? **** no, but specials? Maybe.

bigbluedefense
10-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Probably but I'm not a doctor nor am I following his rehab. If he can run again without falling apart he can play special teams. Do I ever think he'll play defense? **** no, but specials? Maybe.

Yeah but who cares. Like I hate to sound so mean and blunt about it, but if the guy is nothing more than a special teamer, why even keep him on the team? I rather draft an athlete in the later rounds who can give us the same if not better special teams play with the upside of perhaps developing into a quality skill position player as well.

There's just no reason to keep this guy on the roster if all he'll ever be good for is decent special teams play. We'll give him TC, see how he looks, but if he's going to look the way I'm expecting him to look and we don't want to IR him again, then just cut him and move on.

That's just how it is. I wish him well, but I'll be absolutely shocked if his career isn't over.

descendency
10-01-2011, 02:17 PM
So many things come to mind when I see this.

cvv84
10-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I think he should go back to baseball, that kind of injury with the physical nature of the NFL isn't a good combination.

tjsunstein
10-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I was surprised he even lived when I originally saw the photos of the crash. Obviously I wish him the best but football is no longer an option for him.

ElectricEye
10-01-2011, 05:15 PM
I think he should go back to baseball, that kind of injury with the physical nature of the NFL isn't a good combination.

That was my initial feeling as well. He could still be on the fast track as an MLB reliever if he put the time in. Scouts really loved his tools. I have a feeling that's what will eventually happen.

mqtirishfan
10-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Even if he can get his speed back, how is his leg going to hold up over the length of a season?

NY+Giants=NYG
10-01-2011, 08:17 PM

He is a left handed pitcher who I heard could throw over 90s MPH. He should see if he can play baseball. He can get paid more, and have a longer career assuming he can stay healthy. Plus he doesn't have to play everyday. Pitch when you need to, and when you're not during the games sit on your butt and watch the game.

ElectricEye
10-01-2011, 08:20 PM
He threw 94 with almost zero baseball training and playing it as a second sport I really hope the Giants do what's right in this situation and give him a push in the right direction. Rooting for the guy, but football for a guy in that situation is a little scary.

TheMorningZoo
10-02-2011, 09:34 AM
I didn't even know he was in the crash till I saw this thread. Miracle he is able to walk/run again, but as said he should most likely hang up the cleats and move on-wouldn't want to risk another setback. If he has a rocket of an arm in baseball too, which it seems he has the raw tools-he should pursue that?

CrackerJack465
10-02-2011, 09:41 AM
I give the Giants some credit for even keeping him on the roster. I believe they worked out some deal where they pay him and cover his medical expenses as well. I would love to see him play football again, and maybe he will. He should run the cone drill, I would be interested to see how he would do.

I think the biggest question mark is how will the leg hold up over time. Running a 40 is impressive but how would his leg hold up over a game or multiple games during a season.

Still, if this guy could ever play football again, it would really be something.