PDA

View Full Version : First Mock of the year

MI_Buckeye
10-02-2011, 04:44 AM
I just couldn't help myself. I don't normally like mocking this early, but all this Suck for Luck talk got me incorrigible.

For the draft order I used the Fox Sports power rankings. No particular reason, just the first rankings that came up when I googled. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the fruits of my pointless labor.

1. Kansas City Andrew Luck, Stanford QB

Itís pretty obvious Luck is going No. 1 one way or another, but the Chiefs will probably be taking a QB one way or another anyway. Head Coach Todd Haley isnít in any sort of jeopardy for his job, so the talented offensive guru gets a once-in-a-generation talent at sportís most important position.

2. Jacksonville Quinton Coples, North Carolina DE

I donít think Jacksonville will end up picking this high, but if they can, Coples is a no-brainer here. The Jags have been desperate to upgrade their pass rush for years, and the titanic busts of Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves leave them still wanting. Coples is an all-around great player who can play inside and outside, and is solid versus the run while exceling at getting to the QB.

3. Minnesota Matt Kalil, USC OT
It appears Kalil will end up being viewed as the best OT prospect since Joe Thomas, and perhaps regarded even higher the current all-pro. The Vikes let go of perennial underachiever Bryant McKinnie before the season and have struggled mightily since. This is another of those no-brainer picks if indeed the board breaks this way.
4. Indianapolis Jerel Worthy, Michigan State DT
I donít think the Polians are quite ready to give up on the Manning era just yet. After years of attempting to manufacture production in the interior D line with castoffs, late draft choices and undrafted free agents, it is time for Indy to get serious in the trenches like they started to this year on the O line. Call this a bit of a projection, but I have watched Worthy obliterate both Notre Dame and Ohio State, and I donít think his value will be held down for long. Worthy has probably the quickest first step of any 300-plus pounder in the nation.
5. Miami Matt Barkley, USC QB
The debate here isnít whether or not the Phins will take a QB, it is only a matter of which one they will take. Barkley will make some new regime happy with his superior physical skills, football acumen and experience playing in a pro system for NFL coaches.
6. St. Louis Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State WR
As much as St. Louis has tried to supply Sam Bradford with weapons, they still lack a real No. 1. Blackmon has been even better than advertised this season, and he is no product of the system. Blackmon has the ball skills and body control reminiscent of another certain No. 1 WR in the NFC West, while also possessing dynamic after-the-catch ability.
7. Denver Trent Richardson, Alabama RB

Landry Jones is certainly a possibility here, but the anemic Broncos ground game has been as much of a problem as the defense. RB has been severely devalued over the years, but that doesnít mean there isnít a place for a physical freak like Richardson in the top ten. He will certainly be viewed as one of the top overall players in the draft.

8. Seattle Landry Jones, Oklahoma QB

I will be a bit surprised if Seattle ends up picking this low, but they still should be able to land their upgrade over Tavares Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst. Jones is a polarizing prospect at this point with some saying he is great and others not believing his skills will translate to the next level. Either way, he figures to be a top ten pick to a team desperate for a QB, and no team fits that bill more than Seattle.

9. Cincinnati Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama CB
Nate Clements is clearly on the back end of a fine career, and the Bengals have little depth in the back end outside of Leon Hall. Kirkpatrick is a feisty, fluid cover guy with more shutdown potential than any corner to likely enter the draft. The Bengals love the SEC.
10. Carolina Morris Claiborne, LSU CB
Claiborne has had a unique career. He is an obvious first round candidate, even though he has been the No. 2 CB behind Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Matthieu, the best defensive players in college football the past two respective seasons. Claiborne is a great player in his own right though, and the Panthers have been stuck with mediocre play at the position for years.
11. Arizona Riley Reiff, Iowa OT
The Cards have been pathetic at OT, pretty much since Dan Dierdorff hung up his cleats. Reiff gets the call over other OTs, because of his athleticism and technique. The success of a number of Hawkeye O linemen should allow Ken Whisenhunt to feel more comfortable taking Reiff, who has the best feet of any Iowa O line prospect since Kirk Ferentz took over.
12. Cleveland Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina WR

Cleveland has a couple good, young WRs, but do they really have a potential No. 1? They will if they are able to get their hands on Jeffery. Jeffery isnít the focal point of the Gamecocksí offense, but when he is called on to make plays, he comes through. He is a physical, strong receiver who lacks the athleticism of Justin Blackmon, but excels at running routes and catching the ball in traffic.

13. San Francisco Jared Crick, Nebraska DE

Crick is an ideal five technique after playing both inside and outside during his career in Lincoln. Crick plays nasty with a high motor and is a bigger version of current Niner Justin Smith. Donít be surprised if the Niners work to trade up for Trent Richardson.

14. Tennessee Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State LB
The Titans lost Stephen Tulloch in free agency this offseason, and would be smart to replace him with one of a number of great ILBs that could be available this April. As many have noted, Burfict is one of the most intense players in college football. He reminds me of Ray Lewis.
15. Chicago Jonathan Martin, Stanford OT
If Jay Cutler is alive by the end of the season, he is probably going to have a long talk with Jerry Angelo, begging the Bears to get serious about protecting him. Martin is a finesse LT with great feet and tremendous length to go with, of course, high smarts. JíMarcus Webb may not have a job after this season.
16. Oakland Cordy Glenn, Georgia OG

After the recent goofiness of the Raidersí draft-day decisions, it may be easy to forget that Al Davis typically loves taking O lineman early. The Raiders actually donít have that many needs and could use this pick to fortify the interior of their O line with the consensus best interior O linemen in the draft.

17. Philadelphia Alameda Taíamu, Washington DT

Taíamu came into this season as one of the most underrated players in the country. That has quickly changed as Taíamu has gotten off to a blistering start this season. The Eagles have ignored studly playmakers inside for years in favor of plucky overachievers like Mike Patterson and Trevor Laws. That stops now. Taíamu and Cullen Jenkins form what should be a great defensive nucleus for years to come. BTW, there is no way the Eagles will actually be picking this high unless they trade up.

18. Giants Manti, Teío, Notre Dame LB
Jerry Reese loves great athletes, and they come much more explosive than Teío, another in a great ILB crop. The Giants figure to either go O line or front seven in the first couple rounds.
19. Cleveland Alfonso Dennard, Nebraska CB
Joe Haden is emerging as a top-flight corner, but outside of him are a bunch of question marks. Dennard has been inconsistent so far this season, but should be able to rebound and have a good finish to the season. He will be great in pre-draft workouts.
20. Washington Josh Chapman, Alabama DT
I will poop myself if the Skins actually end up picking this low. That being said, they do need a true nose tackle, and Chapman is one of the rare prospects that actually plays that position full-time in college. Chapman isnít as big as Terrance Cody, but that works in his favor, because Gregg Williams asks his linemen to do more than just occupy space.
21. Dallas Janorris Jenkins, North Alabama CB
Terrance Newman canít play forever, and Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick might not be the long-term answers. Jenkins has a troubled past, but had first round potential before electing to return to Florida this offseason, and subsequently getting booted for a third marijuana-related arrest. However, Jenkins does have the speed and talent Jerry Jones covets, and that has always won out in the past.
22. Tampa Bay Luke Kuechly, Boston College LB

LB isnít necessarily a huge need for the Bucs, but Kuechly is too good to pass up here. Kuechly isnít the physical talent that Teío is and not as violent as Burfict, but he is always in good position and never misses a tackle. A perfect value in the 20s.

23. Jets Brandon Jenkins, Florida State OLB

The Jets canít rely on the secondary to cover forever. Jenkins is one of the top conversion prospects in what might not be the strongest year, and the Jets, who passed up guys like Jabaal Sheard, Brooks Reed and Akeem Ayers at the end of Round One last year can not afford do the same this year.

24. Houston Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M WR

The Texans addressed every possible situation on defense this past and now are in wait and see mode on that side of the ball. Fuller is a luxury pick, but one that should serve well in a high-octane offense. They can not give Matt Schaub enough weapons.

25. Buffalo Donte Paige-Moss, North Carolina OLB

The surprise Bills might not be able to sustain their early success, and if they donít their mediocre pass rush might have a lot to do with it. DPM is enormously physically talented, and might be the best edge-rusher when all is said and done.

26. New England Michael Brewster, Ohio State C/OG
Logan Mankins was franchised, and might not be back next season. The rest of the interior O line has been rather pedestrian. The Pats have largely ignored this part of the team in recent drafts. Brewster has nothing to do with Ohio Stateís offensive struggles this season. He has been a rock for four years and should end up as a top 40 pick.
27. Detroit Andrew Datko, Florida State OT
The Leos look like they may indeed be one of the better teams in the league with Matthew Stafford now fully healthy, and the Lions need to keep it that way. Jeff Backus and Gosder Cherilus have been average at OT this season, and Datko has blindside potential.
28. San Diego Chase Minnifield, Virginia CB

The son of NFL standout Frank Minnifield, Chase buoys a thin secondary in San Diego. Minnifield is a better prospect IMO than either Chris Cook or Ras-I Dowling who both went very early in the second round.

29. Pittsburgh Brandon Boykin, Georgia CB

The Steelers donít have anyone with Boykinís talent or versatility. Boykin is a corner who is phenomenal with the ball in his hands, and the Steelers have shown in the past that they are capable of being very creative with their best athletes.

30. New England Kheeston Randall, Texas DE

The Pats have not been very aggressive in targeting the replacement for Richard Seymour, and have paid a mighty price for it. They simply need to upgrade at the five technique, and Randall has the length and physicality they crave at the position.

31. Baltimore Lamar Miller, Miami RB

A major luxury pick. The Ravens clearly have few team needs, and might as well take a dynamic playmaker who can help extend Ray Riceís career. In past years, Miller would be a clear first round pick.

32. Green Bay Courtney Upshaw, Alabama LB

What do you get if you have everything? Upshaw is simply the best player I could think of so I mocked him here.

TheMatriculator
10-02-2011, 07:51 AM
1. Kansas City Andrew Luck, Stanford QB

Itís pretty obvious Luck is going No. 1 one way or another, but the Chiefs will probably be taking a QB one way or another anyway. Head Coach Todd Haley isnít in any sort of jeopardy for his job, so the talented offensive guru gets a once-in-a-generation talent at sportís most important position.

You are right about Luck going first.
You are right about KC taking a QB.
You are not so right about Todd Haley "isnít in any sort of jeopardy."
If the Chiefs draft first, Haley will be gone.

Good job!

Vaylor
10-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Logan Mankins was resigned to a 7 year deal, with that being said I still agree with the Brewster Pick.

I would rather go Michael Floyd instead of Randall with that pick.

Pat Sims 90
10-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Anything in the secondary is a good pick for the Bengals.

shylo3716
10-02-2011, 09:01 AM
2. Jacksonville Quinton Coples, North Carolina DE

I don’t think Jacksonville will end up picking this high, but if they can, Coples is a no-brainer here. The Jags have been desperate to upgrade their pass rush for years, and the titanic busts of Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves leave them still wanting. Coples is an all-around great player who can play inside and outside, and is solid versus the run while exceling at getting to the QB. Blaine Gabbert is or will be in the same delimma as Sam Bradford if they pass up on an Alshon Jeffery or Justin Blackmon. They have invested their 1st Rounder in a QB, so why not go get him a target that will help him produce and gradually come along the next few seasons?

4. Indianapolis Jerel Worthy, Michigan State DT
I don’t think the Polians are quite ready to give up on the Manning era just yet. After years of attempting to manufacture production in the interior D line with castoffs, late draft choices and undrafted free agents, it is time for Indy to get serious in the trenches like they started to this year on the O line. Call this a bit of a projection, but I have watched Worthy obliterate both Notre Dame and Ohio State, and I don’t think his value will be held down for long. Worthy has probably the quickest first step of any 300-plus pounder in the nation. It's not about giving up on Manning it's about findind a heir right now. Kerry Collins is 40ish which means he will not be the future replacement. Sorgie is the only guy who really knows and grasps the Indy playbook, if they have not brought him back by now they won't. I see no problem in NE with Mallett sitting behind Brady who was/is a 1st Rounder in all acuality. The only difference is 1st Round $ was not used on Mallett.

6. St. Louis Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State WR
As much as St. Louis has tried to supply Sam Bradford with weapons, they still lack a real No. 1. Blackmon has been even better than advertised this season, and he is no product of the system. Blackmon has the ball skills and body control reminiscent of another certain No. 1 WR in the NFC West, while also possessing dynamic after-the-catch ability. EXCEEELLENT!

7. Denver Trent Richardson, Alabama RB

Landry Jones is certainly a possibility here, but the anemic Broncos ground game has been as much of a problem as the defense. RB has been severely devalued over the years, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a place for a physical freak like Richardson in the top ten. He will certainly be viewed as one of the top overall players in the draft. EXCEEELLENT!

8. Seattle Landry Jones, Oklahoma QB

I will be a bit surprised if Seattle ends up picking this low, but they still should be able to land their upgrade over Tavares Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst. Jones is a polarizing prospect at this point with some saying he is great and others not believing his skills will translate to the next level. Either way, he figures to be a top ten pick to a team desperate for a QB, and no team fits that bill more than Seattle. mmmhmmmmm!

9. Cincinnati Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama CB
Nate Clements is clearly on the back end of a fine career, and the Bengals have little depth in the back end outside of Leon Hall. Kirkpatrick is a feisty, fluid cover guy with more shutdown potential than any corner to likely enter the draft. The Bengals love the SEC. Swap #9-10

10. Carolina Morris Claiborne, LSU CB
Claiborne has had a unique career. He is an obvious first round candidate, even though he has been the No. 2 CB behind Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Matthieu, the best defensive players in college football the past two respective seasons. Claiborne is a great player in his own right though, and the Panthers have been stuck with mediocre play at the position for years. See above

11. Arizona Riley Reiff, Iowa OT
The Cards have been pathetic at OT, pretty much since Dan Dierdorff hung up his cleats. Reiff gets the call over other OTs, because of his athleticism and technique. The success of a number of Hawkeye O linemen should allow Ken Whisenhunt to feel more comfortable taking Reiff, who has the best feet of any Iowa O line prospect since Kirk Ferentz took over.

12. Cleveland Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina WR

Cleveland has a couple good, young WRs, but do they really have a potential No. 1? They will if they are able to get their hands on Jeffery. Jeffery isn’t the focal point of the Gamecocks’ offense, but when he is called on to make plays, he comes through. He is a physical, strong receiver who lacks the athleticism of Justin Blackmon, but excels at running routes and catching the ball in traffic. Crime that he is too low. If you want to go WR, Floyd is your guy to pair with Little.

14. Tennessee Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State LB
The Titans lost Stephen Tulloch in free agency this offseason, and would be smart to replace him with one of a number of great ILBs that could be available this April. As many have noted, Burfict is one of the most intense players in college football. He reminds me of Ray Lewis. Floyd or Fuller should go into consideration.

16. Oakland Cordy Glenn, Georgia OG

After the recent goofiness of the Raiders’ draft-day decisions, it may be easy to forget that Al Davis typically loves taking O lineman early. The Raiders actually don’t have that many needs and could use this pick to fortify the interior of their O line with the consensus best interior O linemen in the draft. No No No No No! If he does not run a 4.4/4.3 he will not be a Raider, but in all seriousness the Raiders will go CB or OLB, IMO.

17. Philadelphia Alameda Ta’amu, Washington DT

Ta’amu came into this season as one of the most underrated players in the country. That has quickly changed as Ta’amu has gotten off to a blistering start this season. The Eagles have ignored studly playmakers inside for years in favor of plucky overachievers like Mike Patterson and Trevor Laws. That stops now. Ta’amu and Cullen Jenkins form what should be a great defensive nucleus for years to come. BTW, there is no way the Eagles will actually be picking this high unless they trade up. It is NOT our frontline!!!!! It is the second level of defense. We gladly will take Zach Brown who is currently available on your board.

22. Tampa Bay Luke Kuechly, Boston College LB
LB isn’t necessarily a huge need for the Bucs, but Kuechly is too good to pass up here. Kuechly isn’t the physical talent that Te’o is and not as violent as Burfict, but he is always in good position and never misses a tackle. A perfect value in the 20s. CB is the way to go. Ronde is getting older by the 3 & outs, and Talib is ever so troublesome. Jayron Hosley will be a match made in heaven.

24. Houston Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M WR

The Texans addressed every possible situation on defense this past and now are in wait and see mode on that side of the ball. Fuller is a luxury pick, but one that should serve well in a high-octane offense. They can not give Matt Schaub enough weapons. I like! I have been waiting for Houston to pair another BIG physical guy opposite of him.

29. Pittsburgh Brandon Boykin, Georgia CB

The Steelers don’t have anyone with Boykin’s talent or versatility. Boykin is a corner who is phenomenal with the ball in his hands, and the Steelers have shown in the past that they are capable of being very creative with their best athletes. TOO HIGH for him! Now that's reaching for a "star"

A major luxury pick. The Ravens clearly have few team needs, and might as well take a dynamic playmaker who can help extend Ray Rice’s career. In past years, Miller would be a clear first round pick. I would not see why they would go that route when they still have Ricky Williams. The Ravens would not draft a guy in the 1st just so he can be their 3rd guy on the depth chart, really does not make sense. What would make sense is if they go get a heir apparent to Ray Ray or Eddie

Constructive feedback in Bold..... Nice way to make an attempt for your 1st mock of the year, but you have quite a few loop holes as far as prospects not in your mock. Over time I see you nailing it.

bruschis4all
10-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Logan Mankins was resigned to a 7 year deal, with that being said I still agree with the Brewster Pick.

I would rather go Michael Floyd instead of Randall with that pick.

So, you're ok with Pats defense?

thenewfeature06
10-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Did Cassel get a big deal recently? They probably still should/will go Luck regardless and trade Cassel.

Oakland... what I have been hearing is Glenn has been dissapointing. The next couple picks after ours including guys like Dennard, Teo and Kuechly would all be better imo.

Matthew Jones
10-02-2011, 12:52 PM
There are no words to describe how angry I'd be if the Pats selected Randall over Upshaw.

Rabscuttle
10-02-2011, 01:04 PM
I think the Niners can afford to wait another year or two to start looking for Justin Smith's replacement and deal with secondary/wideout first or qb if one catches their eye.

I'd say any o-line position, but what's the use.

vidae
10-02-2011, 07:06 PM
You are right about Luck going first.
You are right about KC taking a QB.
You are not so right about Todd Haley "isn’t in any sort of jeopardy."
If the Chiefs draft first, Haley will be gone.

Good job!

What TM said.

Did Cassel get a big deal recently? They probably still should/will go Luck regardless and trade Cassel.

He signed a huge deal (63mil) when he was traded here, but he already earned most of it. If we're drafting Luck, Cassel is a backup or cut bait, but I dunno if he'd be trade bait. Not sure anyone would want him.

703SKINS202
10-02-2011, 09:36 PM
F Skins pick. Cofield has played great at the nose and Greg Williams is not our d coordinator anymore...

ArkyRamsFan
10-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Lovin' the pick of Blackmon to the Rams. However, don't be too surprised if they decide to go CB that high. We have been getting scorched all year and a Kirkpatrick or some other highly rated CB could fill a huge hole for us.

tjsunstein
10-02-2011, 11:53 PM
A DE or OLB for GB is necessary and you nailed that..

drd23
10-03-2011, 01:20 AM

A major luxury pick. The Ravens clearly have few team needs, and might as well take a dynamic playmaker who can help extend Ray Riceís career. In past years, Miller would be a clear first round pick.

The Ravens do have a couple of needs - namely C, LT and successors to our HoFers at ILB & FS. WR and CB are smaller needs.

I could see an Alabama LB (either Upshaw or Hightower) being taken with our first pick if the 1st round LTs, Brewster, Burfict and Te'o are all gone

vikes_28
10-03-2011, 02:09 PM
hit the nail on the head with the vikings pick.

OSUGiants17
10-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Kuechly > Te'o for the Giants. He has the BC connection and is a better fit

indyfan1985
10-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Horrible pick for the Colts. Reaching for Jerel Worthy at 4th overall? Really? There are no great DTs in this year's class and reaching for one that early would be a huge mistake with the talent available elsewhere.

Would rather have Blackmon or maybe even one of the other top QBs.

yo123
10-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Great Vikings pick, not that there are any other options really.

jCut
10-04-2011, 01:11 AM
Richardson over Landry Jones is a great decision.