PDA

View Full Version : What WR Do You See the Jaguars Drafting?

Dallas357
10-02-2011, 05:03 PM
This is the worst wr corps in the history of the league. Way things are looking, we'll pick around 10. I'm guessing Blackmon and Alshon will be there, but they just don't strike me as a AJ Green type.

shylo3716
10-02-2011, 05:11 PM
This is the worst wr corps in the history of the league. Way things are looking, we'll pick around 10. I'm guessing Blackmon and Alshon will be there, but they just don't strike me as a AJ Green type.

No one strikes me as A.J. Green! Be "greatful" that many teams are not heavily in need for a WR this year so either way you look at it you will have a decent guy even if it is not Jeffery or Blackmon. You still have Floyd who could turn out to be the better WR in the league and also Fuller.

Me personally for your team I say go Jeffery over Blackmon. I say this not for a talent thing, but more so of a bigger physical target for Gabbert.

vidae
10-02-2011, 05:17 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with Blackmon or Alshon. Either would instantly upgrade your group.

SolidGold
10-02-2011, 05:32 PM
I think they should go for Floyd or Jeffery

TheMorningZoo
10-02-2011, 07:07 PM
I like Blackmon myself. Big, physical, great hands-not the fastest, but reminds me of Anquan Boldin. Jeffrey has more upside but their have been issues I believe with his conditioning before?

shylo3716
10-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I like Blackmon myself. Big, physical, great hands-not the fastest, but reminds me of Anquan Boldin. Jeffrey has more upside but their have been issues I believe with his conditioning before?

Basically you're saying Mike Williams 2.0

SickwithIt1010
10-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Basically you're saying Mike Williams 2.0

Hes not as good as Mike was.

shylo3716
10-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Hes not as good as Mike was.

I was referring to the conditioning issue.

murdamal86
10-02-2011, 11:36 PM
We honestly need to draft a WR with 2 of our first 3 picks and if we pass on at WR in the first round i may consider burning down the stadium

dannyz
10-02-2011, 11:58 PM
I would go with Alshon Jeffery because the Jaguars need a big Physical WR. I could see them going with a Sanu or Dwight Jones in the Second or Third along with Alshon.

Babylon
10-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Should of drafted Green or Jones this year and then come back with a QB in next years draft.

wogitalia
10-03-2011, 12:50 AM
We honestly need to draft a WR with 2 of our first 3 picks and if we pass on at WR in the first round i may consider burning down the stadium

I believe that is what the owners want the fans to do so they can get out of the lease and go to LA...

Caulibflower
10-03-2011, 02:11 AM
*April 26, 2012*

Roger Goodell steps up to the podium, a card held in his sausage fingers, his watery eyes registering no emotion as he reads:

"...at #9 overall, the Jacksonville Jaguars select...Marquis Maze, Wide Receiver from Alabama!"

carl01
10-03-2011, 06:23 AM
Got this from Yahoo News -- "Drew Brees(notes) threw for 351 yards and a touchdown, Darren Sproles(notes) added 188 all-purpose yards and the Saints beat the offensively-inept Jacksonville Jaguars 23-10 Sunday in a game that was more lopsided than the score indicated."

bucfan12
10-03-2011, 07:08 AM
The Jags need WR help desperately. My first choice would be Blackmon. He's not only a great athlete, b ut his athleticism translates to the footballl field. He'll probably blow up the combine as well, but his play on the field speaks for itself. I think he'll be better than Dez Bryant.

bigbuc
10-03-2011, 02:28 PM
If I were the Jags I would go Blackmon, then pickup someone like Nick Toon in the 3rd.

keylime_5
10-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Alshon Jeffery looks out of shape and has never been a fast or even quick guy the begin with. his role in that offense since day one has been run deep downfield and the QB will throw it up for grabs. I don't doubt that Jeffery will be a good downfield threat and redzone weapon in the NFL though. His conditioning alone might cause him to slip.

Blackmon is putting up crazy numbers and is in top condition, runs like a man amongst boys out there. Great after the catch, very physical. Similar to Crabtree but not as immature with better work ethic. He's more like Boldin than Jeffery, who is more like a mix between Mike Williams (the bad one) and Sidney Rice. Similar to Keyshawn Johnson. I think Blackmon is a safer bet, but I'm not sure if he has the speed to stretch a defense to be more like Julio Jones who was also very good after the catch.

Caulibflower
10-03-2011, 03:20 PM
I keep seeing Blackmon compared to Boldin and Dez Bryant... but isn't he only like 5'10" pushing 190? Isn't he pretty small?

EDIT: nevermind, went and looked and most places he's listed 6'1" or so, 205-215. I don't know who I was thinking of, or if it was Blackmon, but I remember being confused at one point because I thought I'd seen him listed at 188# and I'd always thought he was a bigger receiver...

DiG
10-03-2011, 03:23 PM
I keep seeing Blackmon compared to Boldin and Dez Bryant... but isn't he only like 5'10" pushing 190? Isn't he pretty small?

6'1 215...

http://realtalkthemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/lsoy297_justin_blackmon_iconsmi1.jpg

LonghornsLegend
10-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Blackmon always seemed more Roddy White to me, but either way he's still good. Maybe I'ma suck for upside but I'd take Alshon over him, that said the Jags should have had about all they can take with big, fat, slow, out of shape WR's. Maybe Alshon isn't that guy, but if those rumors look to possibly be true come February I'm steering clear.

Rams & Jags really need a WR, but 1 or both will ignore it. Watch the Rams take 2 WR's in the 4th and 5th round again.

BamaFalcon59
10-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Blackmon.

He's a sure thing and that's what the Jaguars need.

He'll be the number one target from day one.

tjsunstein
10-03-2011, 05:01 PM
My favorite WR in this class continues to be Justin Blackmon so I'll say him but depending on how they set up their offense next year system wise (Del Rio out?/Spread?), we could see a different player. They really need someone who can spread the field so MJD has more room to work.

Dallas357
10-03-2011, 06:39 PM
i'm leaning towards blackmon. But I know the Jaguars are going to win games late in the season that won't help them. Blaine will be pretty good by the end of the year and the defense looks like it will be top 10, so they'll sneak out some wins despite horrible coaching. Then some team like the rams will draft him ahead of the Jaguars. Goodbye 2nd and 3rd pick so we can move up.

OGDraft
10-03-2011, 07:12 PM
I'd go with Blackmon as well. He's most peoples #1 WR, including mine, and should be available when the Jags pick. They need to get Gabbert a weapon.

BigBanger
10-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Blackmon reminds me more of Greg Jennings. A bigger version that's more physical, but he runs routes extremely fast. He plays too fast to be compared to Dez Bryant, who was more physical after the catch and relied more on his ball skills and leaping ability to "get open." Blackmon is more of a technician. He's one of the best route running WRs I have seen in a long time. Probably the best since Kenny Britt. He also has perfect character and ideal work ethic. I consider him a can't miss prospect. He's on AJ Green's level and Jacksonville would be lucky to pick high enough to grab him. He's easily the best WR prospect in this class.

EDIT: I never understood the Boldin comparisons. I loved Boldin coming out more than anyone and his career has been disappointing to me (I had higher expectations), but Boldin ran a 4.7 and had an NFL career that was quickly hamstrung by his lack of top end speed (something I never noticed at the college level). I realize that everyone gets compared to Boldin, but the two look nothing alike. I don't think they even play anything alike. I don't even see the speed issues with Blackmon, and I've seen him run by every DB he has ever face ... countless times a game. I think he will be a vertical threat at the next level and I think he's easily a 4.4 guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see him surprise a lot of people and even crack the 4.3s.

holt_bruce81
10-03-2011, 10:20 PM
It's not going to matter. The Rams are going to draft Alshon Jeffery with their pick and then trade their 2nd and next years 1st to New England for Justin Blackmon. All this while Jacksonville trades up a billion spots to take a butthole.

tjsunstein
10-03-2011, 11:07 PM
It's not going to matter. The Rams are going to draft Alshon Jeffery with their pick and then trade their 2nd and next years 1st to New England for Justin Blackmon. All this while Jacksonville trades up a billion spots to take a butthole.
This isn't the craziest idea in the world.

SimonRath
10-03-2011, 11:16 PM

I'm probably the only one but I wouldn't touch Alshon.

Caulibflower
10-03-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm probably the only one but I wouldn't touch Alshon.

I'm less than excited about him.

Caulibflower
10-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Makes me think of a couple of Southern California busts, Mike Williams and Dwayne Jarrett. Big tall receivers with good hands and ball skills, but now a whole lot else. Alshon is not very fast, and even if his 40's not terrible, he just isn't quick. His cuts are plodding. He looks like a slim tight end. It works in college, but not the NFL. Ask BMW. He totally dominated at USC, but learned the hard way that being huge wasn't going to cut it. I actually like him as a Seattle receiver, but a #2 role is what he's best suited for. I think a team that drafts Alshon Jeffery to be their no. 1 is going to end up with, at best, a pretty good player. If Jacksonville drafts him, he's going to be Reggie Williams 2.

Brown Leader
10-04-2011, 12:04 AM
What WR Do You See the Jaguars Drafting?

Stephen Hill. 2nd round.

Bald_81
10-04-2011, 12:43 AM
I'm less than excited about him.

I'm not big on him also. Would much rather see Justin Blackmon in a Rams uniform next season than him. The fact that he struggles with conditioning in college doesn't bode well for his transition to the NFL in addition to getting millions of dollars. If it wasn't for his great size and catch radius, his lack luster speed (at least in my eyes) would stick out like a sore thumb.

BamaFalcon59
10-04-2011, 04:01 AM
Whole lotta receivers I would take over Alshonn.

Blackmon, Floyd, Broyles, Posey, Dwight Jones, Joe Adams, Kendall Wright, Jermaine Kearse, Marquise Maze...

And I would take Childs over most of them if I see him revert to his pre-injury form.

I've been saying Mike Williams for a long time. Even if he doesn't outright eat himself out of the league, I can't see him being too effective unless he gets in shape a la Williams in Seattle.

SimonRath
10-04-2011, 05:54 AM
Id take Blackmon and Floyd everyday over Alshon.

Dallas357
10-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Blackmon it is! But we're going to beat the bengals sunday and already have 2 wins and the rams are looking at 1-15

keylime_5
10-04-2011, 10:33 AM

EDIT: nevermind, went and looked and most places he's listed 6'1" or so, 205-215. I don't know who I was thinking of, or if it was Blackmon, but I remember being confused at one point because I thought I'd seen him listed at 188# and I'd always thought he was a bigger receiver...

He is listed at 215, but this year I swear he has put on at least 10 more lbs. of muscle. The guys is a hulk this year.

Unbiased
10-04-2011, 01:33 PM
I think it will be Sanu. Gene will also probably go after a WR that he liked coming out but couldn't draft. Maybe Meachem.

tetric
10-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Whole lotta receivers I would take over Alshonn.

Blackmon, Floyd, Broyles, Posey, Dwight Jones, Joe Adams, Kendall Wright, Jermaine Kearse, Marquise Maze...

And I would take Childs over most of them if I see him revert to his pre-injury form.

I've been saying Mike Williams for a long time. Even if he doesn't outright eat himself out of the league, I can't see him being too effective unless he gets in shape a la Williams in Seattle.
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Alshon straight up abused the superduperbestestever pro style defense last year in Alabama. I would think a Bama fan would remember that, especially the one handed catch with your CB hanging all over him like he couldn't wait to get his autograph.

Also, the "out of shape" comments are laughable. He's so out of shape that he plays 95% of their offensive snaps and rarely ever has to come out because of cramps or anything conditioning related. Alshon has never had conditioning problems, and has been around 220-235 ever since he's been on USC's campus.

If Alshon had a competent QB throwing the ball to him, and not some ****** named Stephen Garcia, no one would be putting anyone above him except for maybe Blackmon. But since people in general have the memory of goldfish, Alshon all the sudden has "conditioning problems", is "out of shape" or is the next Mike Williams.

Thankfully NFL teams aren't so shortsighted and look at the whole package, instead of listening to the same cliches everyone spews about certain prospects without merit.

JaxJag_1
10-08-2011, 10:56 AM
We'll be drafting 2 outside WR's this year. We have plenty of good slot WRs. A great slot in Mike Thomas, Jarett Dillard and Cecil Shorts work best over the middle too.

We need 2 guys that can win on the outside. Brian Quick from App State will be one, who will be the other? We'll see, but I have a good feeling Quick will be a Jaguar come late April.

BamaFalcon59
10-08-2011, 11:46 AM
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Alshon straight up abused the superduperbestestever pro style defense last year in Alabama. I would think a Bama fan would remember that, especially the one handed catch with your CB hanging all over him like he couldn't wait to get his autograph.

Also, the "out of shape" comments are laughable. He's so out of shape that he plays 95% of their offensive snaps and rarely ever has to come out because of cramps or anything conditioning related. Alshon has never had conditioning problems, and has been around 220-235 ever since he's been on USC's campus.

If Alshon had a competent QB throwing the ball to him, and not some ****** named Stephen Garcia, no one would be putting anyone above him except for maybe Blackmon. But since people in general have the memory of goldfish, Alshon all the sudden has "conditioning problems", is "out of shape" or is the next Mike Williams.

Thankfully NFL teams aren't so shortsighted and look at the whole package, instead of listening to the same cliches everyone spews about certain prospects without merit.

I'm not a 'Bama fan. Just live here and watch plenty of SEC ball.

Not changing anything I said. AJ dominates college because he's gigantic and a decent athlete to boot. He's very good. And the numers he put up the last two years look even better considering his QB and how many touches Latt got, last year anyway.

But I'll still take a ton of receivers over him concerning the pros. Big guys like Floyd and Jones are more fluid and have very little risk compared to AJ (although Floyd gets hurt way too much). Broyles will be dynomite in the slot. I think Wright will be tremendous in the pros. Kearse and Maze may be stretches but that just shows what I think of AJ risk-wise... I think Posey has a ton of talent but he hasn't had the ideal opportunity to show it.

I don't like Jeff Fuller much either but for different reasons.

Razor
10-08-2011, 12:15 PM
I think the Jags will probably be in position to pick Quinton Coples. Do that, and then target a receiver in the second and one in the later rounds. Looks like a good year for receivers next year. Should be able to get Broyles or Fuller in the second the way it looks right now (if you're lucky, Sanu, but I wouldn't count on it). Then get Kendall Wright/T.Y. Hilton/James Rodgers/AJ Jenkins later in the draft. That's what I would do, but then again. I'm not Gene Smith.

A Perfect Score
10-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Blackmon reminds me more of Greg Jennings. A bigger version that's more physical, but he runs routes extremely fast. He plays too fast to be compared to Dez Bryant, who was more physical after the catch and relied more on his ball skills and leaping ability to "get open." Blackmon is more of a technician. He's one of the best route running WRs I have seen in a long time. Probably the best since Kenny Britt. He also has perfect character and ideal work ethic. I consider him a can't miss prospect. He's on AJ Green's level and Jacksonville would be lucky to pick high enough to grab him. He's easily the best WR prospect in this class.

EDIT: I never understood the Boldin comparisons. I loved Boldin coming out more than anyone and his career has been disappointing to me (I had higher expectations), but Boldin ran a 4.7 and had an NFL career that was quickly hamstrung by his lack of top end speed (something I never noticed at the college level). I realize that everyone gets compared to Boldin, but the two look nothing alike. I don't think they even play anything alike. I don't even see the speed issues with Blackmon, and I've seen him run by every DB he has ever face ... countless times a game. I think he will be a vertical threat at the next level and I think he's easily a 4.4 guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see him surprise a lot of people and even crack the 4.3s.

Boldin ran a 4.7 because he had a severe hamstring injury at the time, but he ran anyways. He was always more of a 4.55 guy in college, injuries picked away at his speed once he hit the NFL. Still one of the most physical receivers I've ever seen, I'm glad we have him on the Ravens.

As for the big receivers this year, I'm a huge fan of both Blackmon and Jeffery but I think people are underselling Michael Floyd. I had him neck and neck with AJ Green for the #1 WR position as the beginning of last year. He has the best body control I've seen since Larry Fitzgerald and there's actually alot about the way he plays the game that reminds me of Fitz. Nasty blocker, nice YAC ability, can run a full route tree and has elite ball skills. I like him more then I liked Julio Jones last year.

Alshon Jeffery to me screams Brandon Marshall. I don't think he's going to be that down the field gamebreaker some might project, but he's going to be an offensive force once he's asked to develop more both as a receiver and as a football player. He's got the size to engage DB's in the blocking game and I think if he keeps his weight in check (He needs to be playing in the 220-230 range, not 245), he's got enough speed to keep defenders from undercutting his routes. I think you'll see him test very similary to Dez Bryant when all is said and done, and I think you'll see similar results early in this NFL career. For the record, Dez and AJ Green are my two favorite receivers prospects I've scouted (Braylon Edwards being the third).

I had Blackmon rated ahead of Julio Jones coming into the draft last year as well, I thought he had a legitimate shot at Top 15 last year and he looks like he's capable of going top 10 this year. He made Prince Amukamara his ***** last year when they played, I loved seeing that. The Boldin comparisons are pretty good, but I think there's a bit of Miles Austin in there as well. Thats another pretty good comparison for him IMO.

Really strong WR class at the top this year.

molenguinurtle
10-08-2011, 03:11 PM
As a Jags fan, my sincerest hope is that we make either Floyd or Blackmon a Jag come April. Our WRs are pathetic sure, but the funny thing is that we're really not that far away offensively (obviously assuming positive Gabbert development). Pro Bowl TE & RB, a very good slot receiver, and a young gelling OL. If we don't out-think ourselves at the top next year and take some kid from Nowhere State A&M, we can really set up our offense for the next 5-6 years or so.

Unbiased
10-10-2011, 12:29 PM
As a Jags fan, my sincerest hope is that we make either Floyd or Blackmon a Jag come April. Our WRs are pathetic sure, but the funny thing is that we're really not that far away offensively (obviously assuming positive Gabbert development). Pro Bowl TE & RB, a very good slot receiver, and a young gelling OL. If we don't out-think ourselves at the top next year and take some kid from Nowhere State A&M, we can really set up our offense for the next 5-6 years or so.

All of Gene's 1st and 2nd round picks have been from big schools. But you bet your ass he's taking some Nowhere Directional Tech 3rd round and later.

molenguinurtle
10-10-2011, 12:38 PM
All of Gene's 1st and 2nd round picks have been from big schools. But you bet your ass he's taking some Nowhere Directional Tech 3rd round and later.

This is indeed true.

murdamal86
10-11-2011, 01:22 PM

That's crazy isn't it? We have a future pro bowl QB, top tier RB, a 2nd tier TE, one of the best slot WR's in the NFL but nothing on the outsides. I like the way the line has blocked the last two weeks too. We just HAVE to get the top rated WR available in the first round; there is no way around it anymore