PDA

View Full Version : Julio Jones/ AJ Green

BamaFalcon59
10-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Everybody was wrong. They're both monsters.

Two of the top receivers for a very long time IMO.

nepg
10-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Who was wrong? Pretty sure everyone really liked both.

Terrible thread is terrible.

tjsunstein
10-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Ok... and your point?

How many top receivers are there? What's the cut off? Because I've heard that saying for about 15-20 receivers in the league. Are there 15-20 'top' receivers? That's a little top heavy, no?

You can't just label them top receivers for a very long time after 4 games. And how long is a very long time? Like 4 years? That's a decent amount of time. A very long time is 7-9 years. And a lot of the all time greats weren't even top receivers for 7-9 years.

Just trying to add some discussion to a thread that started with nothing.

TACKLE
10-03-2011, 04:35 PM
i am confused by this thread.

cvv84
10-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Who was wrong? Pretty sure everyone really liked both.

Terrible thread is terrible.

Now this is something we can all agree on.

FUNBUNCHER
10-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Supastars!!!

Caulibflower
10-03-2011, 04:42 PM
If you extrapolate the stats they accumulated over their first four games over the course of the season, Green is on pace for 76 receptions for 1248 yards and 8 TDs, and Julio is on pace for 96 receptions for 1368 yards, but no touchdowns. If you extrapolate those over the next ten years, you have a couple of Hall of Fame careers, except Jones' lack of touchdowns may hurt him in the eyes of the voters. So all you people who said, "AJ Green will never amount to anything" can suck it, because he's on pace to be a hall of fame wide receiver, and Julio Jones at the very least is projecting to be a very good receiver for a long time, even though he doesn't ever score any touchdowns.

tjsunstein
10-03-2011, 04:52 PM
If you extrapolate the stats they accumulated over their first four games over the course of the season, Green is on pace for 76 receptions for 1248 yards and 8 TDs, and Julio is on pace for 96 receptions for 1368 yards, but no touchdowns. If you extrapolate those over the next ten years, you have a couple of Hall of Fame careers, except Jones' lack of touchdowns may hurt him in the eyes of the voters. So all you people who said, "AJ Green will never amount to anything" can suck it, because he's on pace to be a hall of fame wide receiver, and Julio Jones at the very least is projecting to be a very good receiver for a long time, even though he doesn't ever score any touchdowns.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/7/73/20110401033803%21Trollface.png

vidae
meh. I guess I got trolled! :D

Hurricanes25
A lot of people and members on the board blasted the Falcons for moving up to take Jones.

Other than that, yeah, mostly everybody liked both of them.

tjsunstein
10-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Supastars!!!
You just trolled yourself...? You did start the Cam Newton thread, no?

I've just been mindfucked.

tjsunstein
10-03-2011, 04:56 PM
A lot of people and members on the board blasted the Falcons for moving up to take Jones.

Other than that, yeah, mostly everybody liked both of them.
To me, it still is a lot that they gave up for a #2 especially with this year's crop of WRs coming out. But, if the Falcons were having more success on offense then my tune would be different. So, up until this particular point in time, my opinion still remains that they gave up too much for Julio Jones although he's on pace to be a Hall of Famer.

CC.SD
10-03-2011, 05:54 PM

To be honest I will be more impressed if Julio never scores a touchdown while still keeping up the current catch/yardage pace, lol.

I love both these guys, Green is pulling some serious acrobatic type **** too, very impressive.

ElectricEye
10-03-2011, 06:06 PM
I loved both of them. A lot of people got on Julio for some reason a few years ago, but that died own quite a bit.

BamaFalcon59
10-03-2011, 08:01 PM
I recall a lot of people disliking Jones.

And then there was a crowd who liked him over Green.

I think all the arguments were mute...

They're both studs.

But I guess people have selective memory.

Sloopy
10-03-2011, 08:13 PM
I swear one of these days im gunna click on one of these threads and it will be a direct link to a youtube video of "Never Gunna Give You Up"

JRTPlaya21
10-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Been on both their hype trains since their high school days.....never doubted either 1 bit.

keylime_5
10-03-2011, 10:12 PM
the only people who didn't like both of these guys coming out were the occassional cynical bastards and/or people who don't know anything and just want to be different.

holt_bruce81
10-03-2011, 10:18 PM
There were like a total of 3 people in the entire nfl draft world who didn't say both of these guys would be monsters.

Splat
10-03-2011, 10:21 PM
I don't think people hated on Jones it was more people hating on the trade the Falcons made to get him.

Halsey
10-04-2011, 12:00 AM
If I could have any two WRs to start for my team in the history of football, it'd be Jones and Green. My second choice would be Jerry Rice and Jesus.

Caulibflower
10-04-2011, 12:18 AM
If I could have any two WRs to start for my team in the history of football, it'd be Jones and Green. My second choice would be Jerry Rice and Jesus.

Hooooooooomerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Mr. Goosemahn
10-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Everybody was wrong. They're both monsters.

Two of the top receivers for a very long time IMO.

u mad bro?

btw, AJ is better.

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/DealWithIt/bieberdealwithit.gif

BRAVEHEART
10-04-2011, 12:46 AM
AJ>>>Julio

Proof is in the touchdowns.

Plat
10-04-2011, 01:36 AM
Who the hell was saying they weren't going to be good?

yo123
10-04-2011, 01:50 AM
So are we going to have a thread like this every time a rookie pans out or what? I mean, the majority of people liked both of them, we aren't talking about controversial guys. AJ Green especially was regarded as a can't miss prospect.

CC.SD
10-04-2011, 09:55 AM
moot, for god's sake. they weren't silent. even then it's used wrong, but i'll bow to common usage for once. [/pointless pedantry]

Grammar homer. Take off your grammar colored sunglasses.

killxswitch
10-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Greene > Jones.

And I do seem to remember at least a few vocal people downgrading Jones a couple weeks before the draft. Saying he had no routes, bad hands, just a physical freak but lacking football skills.

bantx
10-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I lyke's bothe ov them's,

BamaFalcon59
10-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Greene > Jones.

And I do seem to remember at least a few vocal people downgrading Jones a couple weeks before the draft. Saying he had no routes, bad hands, just a physical freak but lacking football skills.

This is what I recall.

That and people questioning rookie receivers making immediate impacts.

Splat
10-04-2011, 01:33 PM
That and people questioning rookie receivers making immediate impacts.

Most still don't this changes nothing.

Brothgar
10-04-2011, 02:20 PM
I recall a lot of people disliking Jones.

And then there was a crowd who liked him over Green.

I think all the arguments were mute...

They're both studs.

But I guess people have selective memory.

I don't think anyone disliked Jones as much as hated the Falcons giving up more than a full draft's value to get him.

D-Unit
10-04-2011, 02:23 PM
I always liked Jones ahead of Green. Still do.

Ness
10-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Jones looks really smooth when he runs. Like a gazelle.

BamaFalcon59
10-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Jones looks really smooth when he runs. Like a gazelle.

I live in 'Bama and still didn't expect him to look so smooth out there. He's an insane athlete.

Will still have to pick up the intermediate game, but he's money getting the ball short and making yards or just running deep.

BigBanger
10-04-2011, 06:32 PM
I wasn't overly high on Jones, had him as a Top 20 prospect, but he's done nothing overtly surprising thus far. Neither have, really (which is why the OP is probably getting so much flack). AJ Green looks like the much better player capable of making some insane catches. His catch radius and ball skills are simply on another level that, I think, will separate the two, and what has separated the two. Consider what Green has for a supporting cast (and QB play), and I think Green has vastly outplayed Jones thus far. He continues to look like the more natural WR of the two. Jones is very good in his own right and I'd say he's been a little better than I thought he would be to start his career, but with how much passing is going on, I'm no longer surprised by anything.

I still like Greg Little from that class as well. I think he has more potential than Julio Jones and could emerge as a star player in two or three years. But he's also a bit stupid so he could just turn into an average player.

teb
10-18-2011, 05:00 AM
I like this team, and I always support it.
Cleveland Browns Jerseys (http://www.diyjerseys.com/cleveland-browns-c-2_11.html)

Brent
10-18-2011, 05:12 AM
it's like seeing 'could of' or 'would of'. i don't really get that annoyed by much, as far as grammar goes.
Can we get a spelling/grammar checker for replies? I know FireFox has a spell checker, but grammar would be nice. Even if rudimentary?

irishbucsfan
10-18-2011, 08:55 AM
It's spelled rudimentary, actually.

J-Mike88
01-07-2012, 09:28 AM
I want to survey the guys in here on these 2 players, and the gals in here on these 2 players.

Season Statistics:
AJ Green: 65 catches, 1,057 yards, 16.3 per catch, 7 TD's
Julio Jones: 54 catches, 959 yards, 17.8 per catch, 8 TD's

I'd have to call it a draw really... Green got more looks because he didn't have a Tony Gonzalez and Roddy White getting so much of the work.

But Julio doesn't always draw the #1 CB like Green surely does.

bucfan12
01-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Both are going to be outstanding WRs, but Green is definately the better. He draws more coverage and attention from opposing defenses because he doesn't have another threat on the other side.

gsorace
01-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Weren't people calling them future first round picks since they came out of high school? I don't understand this thread.

Brent
01-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Weren't people calling them future first round picks since they came out of high school? I don't understand this thread.
people want to argue apples v. oranges.

Halsey
01-07-2012, 01:10 PM
From a recent ESPN article:

"Jones, the Falcons' rookie from Alabama, ranked first in the NFL this year among qualified receivers with 7.6 yards per catch after the reception. Cruz, the Giants' second-year breakout star, was second in the league in yards after the catch with 601 and third in the league with 7.3 yards per catch after the reception. Cruz was second in the league with nine catches of 40 or more yards, second only to Detroit's Calvin Johnson. Jones was tied for fourth in that category with seven such catches."

Beast.

DraftSavant
01-07-2012, 01:29 PM
I wasn't overly high on Jones, had him as a Top 20 prospect, but he's done nothing overtly surprising thus far. Neither have, really (which is why the OP is probably getting so much flack). AJ Green looks like the much better player capable of making some insane catches. His catch radius and ball skills are simply on another level that, I think, will separate the two, and what has separated the two. Consider what Green has for a supporting cast (and QB play), and I think Green has vastly outplayed Jones thus far. He continues to look like the more natural WR of the two. Jones is very good in his own right and I'd say he's been a little better than I thought he would be to start his career, but with how much passing is going on, I'm no longer surprised by anything.

I still like Greg Little from that class as well. I think he has more potential than Julio Jones and could emerge as a star player in two or three years. But he's also a bit stupid so he could just turn into an average player.

This is pretty much how I felt pre-draft. I've got no problems admitting that I was way off on how Julio's playing speed would translate to the NFL. If he can improve his ball tracking and not fight the ball in the air, he'll be one of the best for a very, very long time.

kalbears13
01-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Predraft I liked Little a lot and wasn't a huge fan of Jones and the way he caught with his body (Ironic that Little is having problems with drops). Bold Statement: If Little can get over the drops and gets a real quarterback, I think he will be the best receiver to come out of this class. He had 61 receptions for 709 yards and he didn't start until Week 6. Playing opposite of Blackmon would be awesome (granted they find someone to throw the ball to them).

DeepThreat
01-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Predraft I liked Little a lot and wasn't a huge fan of Jones and the way he caught with his body (Ironic that Little is having problems with drops). Bold Statement: If Little can get over the drops and gets a real quarterback, I think he will be the best receiver to come out of this class. He had 61 receptions for 709 yards and he didn't start until Week 6. Playing opposite of Blackmon would be awesome (granted they find someone to throw the ball to them).

I think you are high as a kite.

kalbears13
01-07-2012, 04:45 PM
I think you are high as a kite.

High on GREG LITTLE!!

ATLDirtyBirds
01-07-2012, 05:03 PM
I want to survey the guys in here on these 2 players, and the gals in here on these 2 players.

Season Statistics:
AJ Green: 65 catches, 1,057 yards, 16.3 per catch, 7 TD's
Julio Jones: 54 catches, 959 yards, 17.8 per catch, 8 TD's

I'd have to call it a draw really... Green got more looks because he didn't have a Tony Gonzalez and Roddy White getting so much of the work.

But Julio doesn't always draw the #1 CB like Green surely does.

Julio probably has a higher ceiling because he's such a freak athlete, but I doubt he'll ever be as good as Green. AJ's catching radius, and just overall smoothness in playing the game is ridiculous. Julio has good hands, but I'm not sure he'll ever develop/be taught how to effectively track the football, so he'll probably always have issues with drops.

Bulldogs
01-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Both are going to be beasts for a long time. I remember loving both out of high school, even then people were saying they would both be great NFL players.

Ness
01-07-2012, 06:32 PM
EDIT: Wrong thread.

Ness
01-07-2012, 06:39 PM
EDIT: Wrong thread.

J-Mike88
01-07-2012, 09:12 PM
I think Matt Ryan is quite a bit better than Dalton and the offense itself might allow Julio to put up more numbers in time.... we'll see.

But it seems there are some games where Julio doesn't get many looks.... with AJ, that doesn't seem to happen. They need to go to AJ.