PDA

View Full Version : Post-Week 4 Mock Draft (with potential trades)

Robcards
10-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Updated 10/5

Along with every pick I will give a percentage as to how sure I am that said player will go at that spot, and also how sure I am that said player will go to that team. That way you can see if I really think a team will go for a particular player even if it means trading up, or if I just feel that a player will go in that spot no matter what and the team there just happens to be the team there. Feel free to post comments, I appreciate it.

1. Miami Dolphins - Andrew Luck QB Stanford
This one is obvious, and I think the Phins will have the worst record. It's not that I think they have the worst team, just the best chance to have the worst record in a division with the Jets, Bills, and Patriots. (order 95%, team 30%)

2. Carolina Panthers - Quinton Coples DE North Carolina
I think either the Panthers or Colts will be in this spot, but the picks will still be the same. The Panthers have proved that their offense is not their weakness thru 4 weeks (with the exception of the Jaguars game in torrential downpours) so this pick makes the most sense. (order 75%, team 40%)

3. Indianapolis Colts - Matt Barkley QB USC
Another obvious pick. Don't think this needs much explaining. (order 60%, team 35%)

4. Minnesota Vikings - Matt Kalil OT USC
Apparently LT is a bigger need for the Vikings than WR is and Kalil's value just keeps going up. Vikings look to snag Toon, Broyles, or Fuller with their 2nd pick. (order 50%, team 65%)

5. Seattle Seahawks - Landry Jones QB Oklahoma
I'm really not sure about this one, I'm still not sold on Landry and I wouldn't be surprised if his value slips a ton come draft day. On the pace RGIII is going, and if he were to leave early, can easily see Jones become the 4th QB in the 2012 draft. (order 30%, team 45%)

6. St. Louis Rams - Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina
I think most people have the Rams either getting Blackmon or Jeffery so not much to explain here. Rams need a #1 receiver and Alshon is a stud. (order 25%, team 70%)

7. Chicago Bears (trade-up with Kansas City) - Jonathan Martin OT Stanford
The Bears desperately need help with their pass blocking, so upon seeing Kalil get taken they jump up a few picks to grab Martin, probably giving up their 2nd round pick. The drop off after Martin and especially after the last 1st round worthy tackle Reiff is huge, so they need this pick bad. (order 25%, team 80%)

8. Arizona Cardinals - Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma St
The Cardinals still haven't found a viable receiving option opposite Fitzgerald since Boldin and now Breaston are gone. (order 50%, team 50%)

9. Jacksonville Jaguars - Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama
The Jaguars secondary is dreadful and after using their entire clock to trade their pick away given the depth at this position in the 1st round (Claiborne, Dennard, Harris, even Jenkins and Gilmore can move up to 1st) they fill their pressing need. (order 20%, team 90%)

10. Denver Broncos - Trent Richardson HB Alabama
By popular demand. (order 10%, team 40%)

11. Buffalo Bills (trade-up with Kansas City from Chicago) - Jared Crick DE Nebraska
The Bills run defense could still use some help, and Crick is the prototypical 3-4 defensive end and would fit the scheme perfectly. (order 35%, team 50%)

12. Cleveland Browns - Zach Brown OLB North Carolina
Value pick based on first 11 changes. (order 40%, team 20%)

13. Dallas Cowboys - Brandon Jenkins OLB Florida State
Jenkins would be a perfect fit for a Cowboys 3-4 defense that has been lacking. Jenkins opposite of Ware should provide an excellent pass rush, I really like this pick a lot. (order 30%, team 70%)

14. Cincinnati Bengals - Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska
With Dalton and Green doing well, I think the Bengals look to improve their defense with their first pick. (order 50%, team 40%)

15. Tennessee Titans - Riley Reiff OT Iowa
The Titans may have some bigger holes than the o-line, but this is a value pick in this spot.(order 20%, team 25%)

16. New York Giants - Luke Kuechly MLB Boston College
It's no secret what the G-Men's weakness is, and Kuechly's teammate Herzlich is on their team as well so this pick makes the most sense. (order 30%, team 70%)

17. Oakland Raiders - Morris Claiborne CB LSU
Guess who the fastest player projected to go in the 1st round is? Just going off of Oakland's tendencies here, and also they need to fill the hole left by Nnamdi Asomugha leaving. (order 30%, team 80%)

18. Washington Redskins - Brandon Thompson DT Clemson
Moved some stuff around, hoping the Redskins need a DT?(order 40%, team 25%)

19. Kansas City Chiefs (trade-down with Buffalo) - Manti Te'o MLB Notre Dame
I've heard enough from you Chiefs fans. If they draft a QB it will be in the 2nd round, no matter how you slice it the big 3 will be gone when the Chiefs pick, so they trade back and get a MLB. Stop saying great pick when everyone else has Barkley going to the Chiefs because it just is not happening. There's at least 13 starting QBs in the NFL worse than Cassel so to say that QB is the biggest need is ridiculous. (order 20%, team 30%)

20. Cleveland Browns (from Atlanta 2011 trade) - Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame
Massaquoi, Little, and Cribbs just aren't getting it done and McCoy needs a solid weapon. This has been a hole in the Browns offense for a long time and they hope that with this pick it's filled. (order 25%, team 65%)

21. Pittsburgh Steelers - Alameda Ta'amu DT Washington
By popular demand. (order 25%, team 50%)

22. Philadelphia Eagles - Dwayne Allen TE Clemson
Allen is a beast receiving TE in a spread offense with a scrambling QB. This would obviously be a great fit and I feel is something the Eagles desperately need. (order 25%, team 50%)

23. San Diego Chargers - Don'ta Hightower ILB Alabama
The Chargers defense isn't what it used to be, and with taking a beast of a 3-4 ILB in Hightower they hope to get it back to what it once was. (order 20%, team 50%)

24. San Francisco 49ers - Cordy Glenn OG Georgia
Ok I'm gonna have RGIII stay his senior year now. Is OG a need for the 49ers? I really don't know, but changes to my picks have him available here so, yeah. (order 10%, team 25%)

25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - David DeCastro OG Stanford
The Bucs don't have many holes and probably just draft for value here with the #2 rated guard slipping to 25. (order 15%, team 25%)

26. Houston Texans - Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama
The Texans defense has been hit or miss, DeMeco Ryans and the defensive line is certainly good, but they could probably use some improvement on the outside. Courtney Upshaw can play inside and outside linebacker in the 3-4 and is a good fit for the Texans. (order 30%, team 40%)

27. New England Patriots - Bruce Irvin OLB West Virginia
The Pats need help on defense and these two picks look to accomplish that.(order 30%, team 20%)

28. New England Patriots (from 2011 trade with New Orleans) - Billy Winn DE Boise State
By popular demand. (order 30%, team 30%)

29. New York Jets - Jerel Worthy DT Michigan State
I am a huge Jets fan so when I saw Worthy's value drop down the first thing I thought of was that he'll be in the Jets' range in the draft now without having to trade up. Our run defense is our weakness and teams are starting to exploit that. Jerel Worthy is a pure run-stopping 3-4 DT and is exactly what we need. If his value goes back to what it once was, the Jets should trade up for him. (order 25%, team 90%)

30. Detroit Lions - Donte Paige-Moss DE North Carolina
Yes I have the Lions going to the NFC Championship game. I'm assuming of course that Stafford stays healthy. Anyway, the Lions SHOULD have picked Robert Quinn last year, so they make up for it here by getting another DE from North Carolina. (order 35%, team 40%)

31. Baltimore Ravens - Janoris Jenkins CB North Alabama
The Ravens don't have many holes, and with Torrey Smith and their TEs Dickson and Pitta doing well, and they are big on McPhee at LE, the only possible hole that remains is their secondary. Jimmy Smith looked great in pre-season but I just checked and he isn't even in the depth chart, what happened? Either way, I think secondary makes more sense than an ILB, Ray Lewis hasn't lost a step. (order 20%, team 20%)

32. Green Bay Packers - Vontaze Burfict ILB Arizona State
It wouldn't be a mock draft without having the Packers at 32, they look unstoppable. I really liked Billy Winn going to the Packers to help their run d a bit, but with the changes I've made that's no longer the case. Don't see them drafting offense or secondary and there just aren't really any 3-4 DE's they can take here, Burfict is a good fit. (order 20%, team 20%)

Missing the cut and teams that could potentially reach for them:

Robert Griffin III - Really not sure where his value lies yet, and who knows if he'll declare, I'm leaning towards him not declaring.
Ryan Tannehill - This guy just keeps slipping and slipping. Personally I think he's the most overrated QB in this draft class, even more overrated than Landry Jones. I could see the 49ers reaching for him late 1st.
Josh Chapman - Like Worthy he is a little undersized to be a 3-4 NT in the NFL, and I don't see enough teams needing a NT round 1 for him, Worthy, and Ta'amu to all go 1st. Steelers or Jets as a DT, and Packers, Patriots, or Ravens converting him to a 3-4 DE can possibly value pick him late.
Datko and Osemele - Don't think more than 3 OTs get taken round 1
Minnifield, Harris, and Gilmore - Same as above except more than 4 CBs, although I could see the Patriots or Lions going CB

vidae
10-03-2011, 11:07 PM
What an awful spot for KC to be in. Meh.

ps Welcome to the DC Boards!

Robcards
10-03-2011, 11:11 PM
What an awful spot for KC to be in. Meh.

ps Welcome to the DC Boards!

LOL yeah my gf is a Chiefs fan she keeps saying they're gonna get Luck and I keep telling her not to get her hopes up. Their schedule is no where near as hard as the Dolphins, and beating the Vikings didn't help. Kalil is a stud though, not the worst thing in the world.

Pat Sims 90
10-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Awful Bengals Pick. We already have a solid DT rotation. CB, S, or RB are ten times bigger needs then a DT.

indyfan1985
10-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Give the Colts LT Matt Kalil instead of Barkley. He is BPA and we still need one more piece to make this OL great. Then they could trade back into the late 1st and get Robert Griffin III to learn from Peyton for 2 years. That would be best case scenario for them unless they can get Luck.

jCut
10-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Denver doesn't need another OLB as bad as you think. We need a RB like Richardson or a pass-rushing DT like Thompson. Griffen is a darkhorse.

KCStud
10-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Kalil should be gone to the Colts IMO. KC won't draft a LT. Albert has looked better than any time in his career. He's currently rated as the 6th best in run blocking and 7th best LT in pass blocking.

Hard to tell who KC would take there.

Hines
10-04-2011, 02:12 AM
The Steelers should be concentrating on OL or NT in the first round over a MLB IMO.

Matthew Jones
10-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Crick would be a good pick, although I question whether or not New England would really trade up. Belichick loves stockpiling picks and this year the Patriots have already traded away a lot of their late-round picks for Ochocinco, Haynesworth, etc. He has always mentioned that he believes the best place to pick is late in the round, so I think they'd probably wait and see who was available. Billy Winn would be nice with the 27th pick. The second Pats first-round pick is a disaster. A backup nose tackle? And keep in mind that the Patriots also drafted Shane Vereen in the second round last year, so a running back would make no sense either. Sorry, but I can't see somehting like your mock draft happening at all.

TheFinisher
10-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Welcome to SWDC

If Dallas is picking 13th, which means another sub .500 season, Romo will be done and Griffin should be the pick.

Robcards
10-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Welcome to SWDC

If Dallas is picking 13th, which means another sub .500 season, Romo will be done and Griffin should be the pick.

Actually projected them to go 8-8, a lot of 4-12s

Robcards
10-04-2011, 09:36 AM
The Steelers should be concentrating on OL or NT in the first round over a MLB IMO.

Isn't the average age of the steelers linebackers 35 or so? I can see OL sure but I think Hampton has more years in him than some of their LBs.

Hines
10-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Isn't the average age of the steelers linebackers 35 or so? I can see OL sure but I think Hampton has more years in him than some of their LBs.

It is 31.....

Robcards
10-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Crick would be a good pick, although I question whether or not New England would really trade up. Belichick loves stockpiling picks and this year the Patriots have already traded away a lot of their late-round picks for Ochocinco, Haynesworth, etc. He has always mentioned that he believes the best place to pick is late in the round, so I think they'd probably wait and see who was available. Billy Winn would be nice with the 27th pick. The second Pats first-round pick is a disaster. A backup nose tackle? And keep in mind that the Patriots also drafted Shane Vereen in the second round last year, so a running back would make no sense either. Sorry, but I can't see somehting like your mock draft happening at all.

Wasn't aware that they gave up a lot of the picks they had in this draft, the trade-up was assuming that they still had 15 picks or whatever it was. Also the Pats draft for value often and the pick of Chapman is simply that. They drafted not only Vereen 2nd round but Ridley I believe was 3rd, and also Mallett 3rd.

TheMatriculator
10-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Kalil should be gone to the Colts IMO. KC won't draft a LT. Albert has looked better than any time in his career. He's currently rated as the 6th best in run blocking and 7th best LT in pass blocking.

Hard to tell who KC would take there.

I agree with your logic and Albert has played well enough that LT is not a real need but you don't pass up a "franchise" LT when they become available and I think that's what Kalil is. Kalil is special and those guys don't come up very often. He's probably the best OT since Jake Long. Take Kalil, say thank you to the teams that passed him up, move him in at LT (or give him a year at RT if you want) and move Albert to LG (he really isn't an RT). You are well on your way to a dominating line (I really miss Willie Roaf and Will Shields).

Robcards
10-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Trying to update this based on your comments, I figure you know your teams better than I do. But tell me who the Chiefs take with the 6th pick because I honestly don't see who they take there. I really don't think Landry Jones and you guys are ripping my head off at suggesting they'd take an OT, their secondary is fine so Kirkpatrick doesn't make sense, OLB Zach Brown jumping up to 6th? I really don't see what else makes sense there.

Robcards
10-04-2011, 10:03 AM
It is 31.....

Kind of cheating with a 25 year old Timmons! Farrior is their other ILB and is 36. Would be surprised if he is a starter in the NFL next year. The pick was based on how good of a fit it was. I also didn't realize Hampton was 35, can change the pick to Ta'amu or Chapman

DiG
10-04-2011, 10:33 AM
skins trading up for richardson is pretty ridiculous actually. just traded for hightower and he has been very productive. drafted helu last year and he has been incredibly impressive so far and shanahan likes torrain who just this week bounced back with a 100+ yard performance. i think those 3 are penciled in as our rotation for years to come.

leave us at 18 and give us Manti Te'o, Dont'a Hightower, or David DeCastro.

Robcards
10-04-2011, 11:01 AM
I thought Helu has been a bust thus far? Must have missed something.

Anyway, I made a ton of changes to it. Really not a fan of Richardson going 10th but if you all think Denver is going to draft RB first round then I guess that's what makes sense. Richardson seems like another Ingram, slipping to late 1st round. Maybe Denver trades back with the Jets who like to trade up a lot but I just don't see anyone the Jets need in the 10 spot, Wilkerson has been looking great and Devito does what we need him to so Crick isn't an option, the Jets will keep their pick and go DT or OLB most likely.

DiG
10-04-2011, 12:06 PM
helu has looked great. he's being used more as a change of pace back but its still very early and he is averaging 5.3 ypc. we traded up to get him and he fits the system perfectly.

“When you’ve got a guy like Helu, you don’t know why guys make plays, but the great ones do,” Shanahan said. “I think Helu is giving people ideas that he can make those plays."

TheMatriculator
10-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Trying to update this based on your comments, I figure you know your teams better than I do. But tell me who the Chiefs take with the 6th pick because I honestly don't see who they take there. I really don't think Landry Jones and you guys are ripping my head off at suggesting they'd take an OT, their secondary is fine so Kirkpatrick doesn't make sense, OLB Zach Brown jumping up to 6th? I really don't see what else makes sense there.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my initial post but I am a Chiefs fan and while our number one need seems to be a QB, I'd agree with you that with Luck, Barkley and Jones gone, it would make sense to take Kalil. He's clearly the best player on the board and would allow the Chiefs to upgrade two positions (LT and wherever Albert winds up).

Beyond that Chiefs needs are WR (depending upon how Baldwin develops), ILB, RB, NT (depending upon how Jerrell Powe develops), DE (Tyson Jackson=meh), maybe TE.

vidae
10-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Yeah, and apologies if you felt like we were "taking your head off" but I'd also agree that if those three QBs are gone, and if RG3 isn't in the top10 consideration, Kalil would be the best pick there. OT is a "need".. it isn't as big as QB, but it's technically a need.

TheFinisher
10-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Actually projected them to go 8-8, a lot of 4-12s

Even so.

Those who didn't expect Dallas to make the playoffs this year were basing that off their defensive performance from last year, which was all time bad. With the way Rob Ryan has turned around our D, coupled with the weapons Romo has around him in his offense, there's no more room for excuses. If he fails to lead them to a playoff appearance again the weight off the fanbase and the media will come crashing down on him and he'll be done as the Dallas Cowboys QB.

With the way the first 4 weeks went, this is now a make or break season for Tony Romo.

Robcards
10-04-2011, 01:23 PM
I should have been more clear in that post my apologies, I was referring to people suggesting the Colts take Kalil instead of Barkley, meaning the Seahawks would get Barkley, and I just didn't see the Chiefs taking Landry Jones there, so Kalil would be off the board who do the Chiefs take? I realize Chiefs fans would love to get one of the 4 QBs in the mix, but I just don't see them drafting QB, I think the organization likes Cassel more than the fans do. Maybe in 2013 if they have another bad season they go for Bray or Murray.

Robcards
10-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Even so.

Those who didn't expect Dallas to make the playoffs this year were basing that off their defensive performance from last year, which was all time bad. With the way Rob Ryan has turned around our D, coupled with the weapons Romo has around him in his offense, there's no more room for excuses. If he fails to lead them to a playoff appearance again the weight off the fanbase and the media will come crashing down on him and he'll be done as the Dallas Cowboys QB.

With the way the first 4 weeks went, this is now a make or break season for Tony Romo.

I agree. But I don't think it necessarily means they reach for RGIII in round 1, Tannehill round 2 or Cousins round 3 would make more sense.

Keep in mind that last year's #1, #7, #10, and #12 picks all going for QBs was an anomaly. I think maybe 3 QBs go in the top 10 in 2012 just out of sheer need, but IMO Luck and Barkley are the only top 10 worthy and RGIII and Jones are more like late 1st rounders. Looking at years past it's usually 1 or 2 QBs in the top 10, and occasionally you have a year like 2011 was or the year when Roethlisberger, Rivers, and Eli were drafted.

vidae
10-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Cassel has already made most of his big money, so I don't think the Chiefs are married to him as the starter anymore, nor should they be. If they have the opportunity to draft RG3 somewhere in the early/mid first this year (if he rises that high, which I could see) then I think they'd do it. He's a special talent.

Robcards
10-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Cassel has already made most of his big money, so I don't think the Chiefs are married to him as the starter anymore, nor should they be. If they have the opportunity to draft RG3 somewhere in the early/mid first this year (if he rises that high, which I could see) then I think they'd do it. He's a special talent.

I could see that, it's just rare for there to be more than 2 top 10 worthy QBs in a draft year and I don't think this year is it. I think it's Luck or Barkley or go home. Jones will go high out of need, but I don't think he will do well. And RGIII seriously might not come out, the man is a scholar, and also for 4 of these guys to come out early when 2013 is looking like Bray and Murray with not much else past those 2 I think is a stretch, at least one of them should have an agent telling them to hold off and wait a year when they can be potentially #1

drd23
10-04-2011, 10:30 PM
31. Baltimore Ravens - Josh Chapman DT Alabama
Chapman is a bit undersized to be an NFL 3-4 NT at 310, so the Ravens most likely play him at LE. I don't think Chapman's value will slip this high but there just doesn't seem to be a high need for DTs in the first round, even the Ravens don't particular need him, more of a value pick. (order 20%, team 20%)

Chapman wouldn't really fit the Ravens D. They dont run a traditional 3-4 D, its a more of a hybrid D where the LDE (the only spot on the DL that a potential draftee could play because they aren't displacing Ngata or Cody) plays like a 4-3 LDE a lot of the time and Chapman doesnt have those sort of skills.

The pick here is Vontaze Burfict. The Ravens need to find a successor for Ray Lewis (who is going to retire in a couple of years) and Burfict would be perfect. It would also be the perfect situation for Burfict has he would get a year or so of tutelage from one of the greatest ever MLBs

RaiderNation
10-05-2011, 12:53 AM
If Claiborne is on the board then I support that pick. I have Claiborne as my top rated CB and he would be a good fit in our man to man scheme. Also a WLB like Zach Brown or potentially a DT could make sense too. It all depends on how Al/Hue feels about DVD and Chekwa's progress.

Robcards
10-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Chapman wouldn't really fit the Ravens D. They dont run a traditional 3-4 D, its a more of a hybrid D where the LDE (the only spot on the DL that a potential draftee could play because they aren't displacing Ngata or Cody) plays like a 4-3 LDE a lot of the time and Chapman doesnt have those sort of skills.

The pick here is Vontaze Burfict. The Ravens need to find a successor for Ray Lewis (who is going to retire in a couple of years) and Burfict would be perfect. It would also be the perfect situation for Burfict has he would get a year or so of tutelage from one of the greatest ever MLBs

Good point, I know they really like Pernell McPhee (sp?) as well could see him starting at LE in no time. However I would think their secondary still needs some work before their linebackers, no? Ray Lewis has shown no signs of slowing down (definitely didn't as they trashed my Jets). I think Cliff Harris or Janoris Jenkins make more sense.

MLB isn't like QB, they will draft a MLB 1st round either the year he retires or year before he retires. 1st round MLBs often come in and start and do well year 1.

coordinator0
10-06-2011, 06:05 PM
31. Baltimore Ravens - Janoris Jenkins CB North Alabama
The Ravens don't have many holes, and with Torrey Smith and their TEs Dickson and Pitta doing well, and they are big on McPhee at LE, the only possible hole that remains is their secondary. Jimmy Smith looked great in pre-season but I just checked and he isn't even in the depth chart, what happened? Either way, I think secondary makes more sense than an ILB, Ray Lewis hasn't lost a step. (order 20%, team 20%)

Offensively we do look set except on the OL. McKinnie at LT isn't a long-term thing, Grubbs will be a FA after this season, and it looks like this could be Birk's last year in the league. I could see us going after any of those positions in the first round. Rice is a free agent after this season as well but he's likely to get the franchise tag if we don't negotiate a new deal with him.

You're right about McPhee on defense, he's played well so far as has Arthur Jones. The defensive line is pretty well-stocked although we could use one more guy for depth if we lose Redding (not a high round need at all though).

Jimmy Smith did look great in pre-season but he suffered a high ankle sprain on the first play in the Pittsburgh game. He looks like he'll be back to face the Texans though. Carr has been injured as well and Foxworth never really recovered from his ACL injury that kept him out all of last season. He's probably gone with his contract the way it is anyways. We could go with a corner, but I think it would have to be a pretty good value for us to do so since we still have Cary Williams and Lardarious Webb who have played fairly well.

We could also look at a free safety, although I'm skeptical to beleive that we would draft one high if he has to sit more than a year. Depth at either safety spot isn't an issue (well, when everybody isn't injured that is) and I'm sure we could find more immediate help elsewhere at positions just as important (OL specifically).

Inside linebacker is still a need whether we want to replace Lewis or draft a guy to play alongside of him. Jameel McClain isn't anything special and we could use an upgrade over him. Burfict at this point would probably be the best pick in terms of need and value but I don't think Jenkins would necessarily be a bad one.

Robcards
10-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Wow thanks for that post that was very informative! I guess CB wouldn't be the pick then wasn't aware that their secondary was just injured. Also thought McClain was better than you say he is, so the Burfict pick kind of makes more sense to me now. Didn't Ed Reed play SS out of college? I know he plays FS now, wondering if they drafted TJ McDonald they'd move Reed to SS or McDonald to SS. Although it seems McDonald's value has slipped just out of 1st round, used to be late 1st now mid 2nd or so

vidae
10-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Meh on the pick. OLB is one position we're set at. Houston is starting opposite Tamba right now and we have Cameron Sheffield in rotation. Crennel loves those guys.

If Luck, Barkley and Jones are gone, and we do trade back, give us RG3 instead.

nepg
10-06-2011, 08:30 PM
I agree that OLB is not a need for the Chiefs. That's one of the few positions they don't even have depth issues at.

A quick rundown of their positions as I see it:
QB: Cassel is fine. There hasn't been much around him, though (whether it be years past where there just wasn't talent or 2011 where most of the talent is injured)

RB: I could see the Chiefs drafting Trent Richardson to pair with Charles. They are committed to running the ball, the guys behind Charles just aren't cutting it, and Richardson would prove great leverage if Charles tries to hold out for a renegotiated contract.

WR: At the three starting positions, theoretically, the Chiefs should be good here (it's terrible, but improving quickly with Baldwin injured). But the depth is pitiful.

TE: This is a big need. The Chiefs can't rely on Moeaki's health. I like Pope as a utility TE and someone that can run a few routes and make a couple big catches, but they need more here.

OT: I wouldn't say OT is a need. I would say it's a position that could be upgraded. Barry Richardson is a ton better than some of the RTs teams have won Super Bowls behind in recent years. This one also depends on Gaither.

OG: They NEED a backup G. Kind of depends on Gaither and whether Wiegmann comes back. Thinking Wiegmann does not come back and they'll need a G/T and a G/C.

C: See above. Perfectly fine with Hudson.

DE: Similar to OT. This is a position that could be upgraded, but not necessarily a need. Gilberry has developed a lot, and they have Allen Bailey developing behind Dorsey and Jackson who have both improved.

NT: Remains to be seen. Looks like they might have their man in Powe, but they'll need someone behind him. That would be a job best left for a veteran FA.

OLB: Set.

ILB: I like Belcher. I think they can upgrade over him, but I like him enough to not worry about it too much. I would really like Burfict next to DJ, too. Depth-wise, it's tough to tell. If Siler comes back healthy, I do like their depth with he and DeMorrio Williams on the inside.

CB: This unit has improved quite a bit behind the two star CBs. I'm starting to wonder whether they'll give Carr an extension or not, though. I'm slightly confident that Jalil Brown will develop into a solid backup CB, but they need to bring in some competition here.

S: Lewis has improved dramatically since the Detroit game. I think he still has a lot to prove before we write off starting safety opposite Berry as a need. They need to get more versatile and more talented on the depth chart, though.

vidae
10-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Please don't listen to nepg about the Chiefs QB situation. I'm convinced he is just constantly trolling the rest of us nonstop.

Robcards
10-06-2011, 09:10 PM
I agree with him, I don't think the Chiefs draft a QB round 1 next year. Maybe they grab Cousins or gamble with Moore late or something, but I really don't see it man. If TE is a big need, I was looking to get Dwayne Allen back into my 1st round, I'll have the Chiefs trade back for him.

vidae
10-06-2011, 09:18 PM
I agree with him, I don't think the Chiefs draft a QB round 1 next year. Maybe they grab Cousins or gamble with Moore late or something, but I really don't see it man. If TE is a big need, I was looking to get Dwayne Allen back into my 1st round, I'll have the Chiefs trade back for him.

TE in the first is probably the worst pick possible. Moeaki played very well last year and will come back strong next year. TE is not a need. QB is. Matt Cassel is the second worst starting QB in the NFL right now.

But hey, it's your mock, do what you want with it.

Robcards
10-07-2011, 12:49 AM
TE in the first is probably the worst pick possible. Moeaki played very well last year and will come back strong next year. TE is not a need. QB is. Matt Cassel is the second worst starting QB in the NFL right now.

But hey, it's your mock, do what you want with it.

Second worst is a huge stretch, you do know there are 32 teams right?
Sanchez, McCoy, Jackson, Painter, Henne, Smith, McNabb and Campbell are WAY worse than Cassell is. Then you have Orton, Grossman, Cutler, Kolb, and Hasselback where its debatable. Also Dalton and Gabbert are worse right now but obviously have better potential. So if I put 2 of the 5 debatable ones below Cassel, that makes him the 13th worst QB in the NFL. I would love to bet you that the Chiefs won't draft a QB round 1 (unless they have the #1 pick but I doubt thatll happen)

BTW double TE sets are becoming more and more common, wouldn't surprise me if Allen, Fleener, and maybe even Charles go in the first round. And also just because you don't like Cassell doesn't mean the franchise does too. I hate Sanchez but that doesn't mean I'm going to tell everyone's mock is wrong and the Jets should draft QB 1st round, catch my drift?

Menardo75
10-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Interrior O-line for the niners is a big need. I would think though in that situation DeCastro would be the pick. Top needs right now though are corner or safety.

vidae
10-07-2011, 12:21 PM
BTW double TE sets are becoming more and more common, wouldn't surprise me if Allen, Fleener, and maybe even Charles go in the first round. And also just because you don't like Cassell doesn't mean the franchise does too. I hate Sanchez but that doesn't mean I'm going to tell everyone's mock is wrong and the Jets should draft QB 1st round, catch my drift?

Absolutely, but when you have 3-4 Chiefs fans telling you that QB is an issue and 1 Patriots fan telling you that it isn't, you're listening to the wrong person.

But like I said, it's your mock, so do with it what you want! :D

ps meh Chiefs pick as TE is not a round one need, especially not as high as we're picking because of that trade.

Robcards
10-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Absolutely, but when you have 3-4 Chiefs fans telling you that QB is an issue and 1 Patriots fan telling you that it isn't, you're listening to the wrong person.

But like I said, it's your mock, so do with it what you want! :D

ps meh Chiefs pick as TE is not a round one need, especially not as high as we're picking because of that trade.

I just don't see it man. Obv if they have the #1 pick they'll take Luck, but like I said Cassell is a mid to low end starter, they could have a lot worse, and you guys just drafted Stanzi who wasn't bad in pre-season. The Chiefs don't have ANY holes aside from QB? And don't say HB, they won't draft Richardson that just won't happen.

vidae
10-07-2011, 12:51 PM
I just don't see it man. Obv if they have the #1 pick they'll take Luck, but like I said Cassell is a mid to low end starter, they could have a lot worse, and you guys just drafted Stanzi who wasn't bad in pre-season. The Chiefs don't have ANY holes aside from QB? And don't say HB, they won't draft Richardson that just won't happen.

We have a lot of holes, more than the casual observer would notice, but QB is the BIGGEST one. TE is a need, but not a first round need. HB is a need, but it's the same as TE. ILB (to replace Belcher) is way more important than taking a TE. Maybe taking a legit first round NT prospect too, since Powe hasn't even seen the field this season and no one really knows why. Maybe a legit OT if we trade back, to play RT. Richardson is ok at best and that position could really use an upgrade.

But you're right about Cassel.. "he is a mid to low end starter", but not many "mid to low end starter" QBs took their teams to the super bowl and won.

Contending for the playoffs means nothing. Contending for championships is what matters, and we're not going to do that with Cassel.

T-RICH49
10-07-2011, 02:31 PM
wow how many ways to describe how horrible that Chiefs pick is. nepg might be the only Cassel believer in the world.Cassel may not lose you games but he certainly won't win you any either.time for a change

nepg
10-07-2011, 03:46 PM
wow how many ways to describe how horrible that Chiefs pick is. nepg might be the only Cassel believer in the world.Cassel may not lose you games but he certainly won't win you any either.time for a change
There is zero evidence of that.

No, he's not Brady or Manning or Rodgers, but he also doesn't have the weapons those guys have. Brady has 8 good receiving options (4 amazing ones), Rodgers has infinite amount of big targets that get downfield in a hurry, Brees has the same situation...

Cassel can put up numbers and win games, but he's not working with very much right now and hasn't since he was in New England (even that year in New England, targets were kind of scarce).

Splat
10-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Cassel is the greatest!!! All he needs is all pro players at every position and outstanding coaching and you guys will see his greatness...

Robcards
10-07-2011, 07:11 PM
If the Chiefs draft a QB it won't be in round 1 anyway, maybe Tannehill or Cousins round 2, that's a big if though, I think the Chiefs management disagree with you fans.

Anyway, I moved some stuff around, if ILB is a need, then Chiefs still trade down and draft Te'o. Have Thompson going to the Redskins although I'm not sure if DT is a need for them, and have Dwayne Allen back to going to the Eagles which I love.

Splat
10-07-2011, 07:41 PM
If the Chiefs draft a QB it won't be in round 1 anyway, maybe Tannehill or Cousins round 2, that's a big if though, I think the Chiefs management disagree with you fans.

Scott Pioli maybe but I'm pretty sure Todd Haley feels the same way we do. That said in the end it will be Scott Pioli's call so time will tell.