PDA

View Full Version : With the Way the NFL is Played Now...

bigbuc
10-03-2011, 11:53 PM
Crossing off the QB are WR's importance being pushed up draft broads? In the first four weeks of this NFL season they have turned the biggest passing weekends in the NFL's history. Players like CJ catching 8 td's so far. Welker have a 200 plus yard game. A Rod having a stable of weapons to throw the ball too. Could WR become one of the top tier like the QB, LT, DE, CB that you look for in a top five pick?

Matthew Jones
10-04-2011, 06:01 AM
Aside from QB, LT, DE, and DT I'd say WR is probably the most likely position to go in the top five. You usually don't see a lot of CBs going in the top 5.

BeerBaron
10-04-2011, 06:40 AM
If WRs get pushed up (definite possibility, look at what Atlanta gave up last year to trade up for Julio) then I think we'll start to see CBs pushed up as well.

It seems like nowadays, most teams have better 3rd and 4th WRs than they do 3rd and 4th CBs.

Iamcanadian
10-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Top end WR's are tough to find. Pro football is so different from college ball that the adjustment is immense. You have to be really special to make it as a pro receiver so I seriously doubt that WR's move up on a consistent basis. Franchise QB's can make any decent WR into an All Pro WR.
As for CB's, again the adjustment is also off the charts but CB is one of the highest paid positions in the NFL for a reason, and they will always remain a very high pick if the player is special.
WR will always be a high risk position for a team drafting in the top 5 because nobody can tell how they will handle getting off the LOS being bumped and held, and close coverage they will get at the next level. They never see it in college.

rawdawg
10-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Top end WR's are tough to find. Pro football is so different from college ball that the adjustment is immense. You have to be really special to make it as a pro receiver so I seriously doubt that WR's move up on a consistent basis. Franchise QB's can make any decent WR into an All Pro WR.
As for CB's, again the adjustment is also off the charts but CB is one of the highest paid positions in the NFL for a reason, and they will always remain a very high pick if the player is special.
WR will always be a high risk position for a team drafting in the top 5 because nobody can tell how they will handle getting off the LOS being bumped and held, and close coverage they will get at the next level. They never see it in college.

Top end WRs are hard to find, but guys come out of the wordwork all the time to be elite WRs. Colston, Welker, Lloyd, Austin, etc. It's kind of like the RB position. If you have a good system, you can almost put anyone at receiver and develop them into a legit threat. So. for that reason I don't see WRs completely jumping up the board consistently. When you have elite physical specimen talents, they will (and always have) jump to the top of the boards like Keyshawn, Mike Williams, AJ Green and Julio Jones. But WR is the one position where if there are any questions about the player's ability, size, or speed that player will fall. AJ Green types will always go top 5. But DeSean Jacksons will always fall.

descendency
10-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Just #1 WRs. A true shutdown CB should probably also go top 10, but in general both positions can be manned with weaker talent at #2, 3, 4, and 5.

BuddyCHRIST
10-05-2011, 09:20 AM
I don't see it, most of these teams with deep WR cores didn't spend high picks on them. If anything it shows that you don't want to reach on WR's as having a great group is better than having one stud (arguable). Or atleast that you can have success with it.

BeerBaron
10-05-2011, 09:27 AM
I don't see it, most of these teams with deep WR cores didn't spend high picks on them. If anything it shows that you don't want to reach on WR's as having a great group is better than having one stud (arguable). Or atleast that you can have success with it.

But if you look at thee best, more elite WRs, they are almost all high draft picks. Most people probably have Calvin, Andre and Fitz in some order as the best WRs in the league right now, and they're all top 5 picks.

And if you look at a really deep WR corps like the Packers, just about everyone was 2nd round picks. Jennings, Jones, Jordyzzz and Cobb were all 2nd rounders.

Occasionally, the late rounder or undrafted receiver will step up (Welker, Austin, Colston,) but the WR position is an odd one in that the vast majority of the best players at the position were relatively highly drafted.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-05-2011, 07:39 PM
No, if anything it will kill elite WR value even more

Spread 5 guys out? You need 5 WRs

Play an old school offense with a TE and a FB? You need 2 WRs which is where having a guy like Julio Jones or AJ Green to throw to on every other pass play would be a big deal

It raises the value of H/W/S guys in the mid rounds though. The last few years the three NFL teams to really dominate with a spread-like offense are the Packers, Saints and Pats. Let's examine their rosters:

Pack - Greg Jennings (round 2), Donald Driver (old but round 7), Jordy Nelson (round 2), James Jones (round 3), Randall Cobb (round 2) [Jermichael Finley - round 3]

Saints - Marques Colston (round 7), Lance Moore (UDFA), Devery Henderson (round 2), Robert Meachem (late round 1*) [Jimmy Graham - round 3] [Darren Sproles - FA, originally a round 4]

Pats - Wes Welker (FA, og UDFA), Deion Branch (round 2), [Aaron Hernandez - round 4], [Rob Gronkowski - round 2], [Danny Woodhead - FA, og UDFA], Edelman (UDFA), random vet of the year, currently Ochocinco (FA)

*pick 27

So only one first rounder in the group and he was by no means an elite WR prospect. The closest you can get is Moss (who the Pats got for a 4th rounder) or Reggie Bush

SchizophrenicBatman
10-05-2011, 07:40 PM
But if you look at thee best, more elite WRs, they are almost all high draft picks. Most people probably have Calvin, Andre and Fitz in some order as the best WRs in the league right now, and they're all top 5 picks.

And if you look at a really deep WR corps like the Packers, just about everyone was 2nd round picks. Jennings, Jones, Jordyzzz and Cobb were all 2nd rounders.

Occasionally, the late rounder or undrafted receiver will step up (Welker, Austin, Colston,) but the WR position is an odd one in that the vast majority of the best players at the position were relatively highly drafted.

Now compare the Lions, Texans and Cardinals' records of the last few years to teams with many good WRs

CC.SD
10-05-2011, 08:03 PM
This is a riddle that is difficult to solve because teams in position to groom and draft premium wideouts are often solidly built in other important areas.

BeerBaron
10-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Now compare the Lions, Texans and Cardinals' records of the last few years to teams with many good WRs

Two of them appear to be on the rise, while the 3rd did make a Superbowl after their elite WR had the statistical greatest postseason ever by a WR.

HellonEarth84
10-07-2011, 02:22 PM
The Lions also went 0-16 shortly after taking Wide Receivers Carlos Rogers and Mike Williams in the Top 5.

BeerBaron
10-07-2011, 02:31 PM
The Lions also went 0-16 shortly after taking Wide Receivers Carlos Rogers and Mike Williams in the Top 5.

Rogers was made of glass and Mike Williams quickly ballooned to TE sizes. It's obviously not fool proof, but no position is. Not a single one of them.

D-Unit
10-07-2011, 04:36 PM
I don't think WR is that important. It's Fool's Gold to take 1 in the Top 5. If you are in the Top 5, you most likely have a TON of problems. If you must, you can sensibly take it if you have your QB set first. But even then, I'd prefer to have my OL and Defense solid before adding WR. They are like "icing on the cake" type commodities.

monson
10-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Every year is different but I would only think that a WR in the top five is good if you have a qb, a LT and a top DL and then only if he is th bp

BigBanger
10-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Carlos Rogers? LOL

Mike Williams drafted in the top 5? LOL

You silly loser.