PDA

View Full Version : Contender or Pretender?

jsagan77
10-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Detroit 4-0
Washington 3-1
Bills 3-1
Houston 3-1
Tennessee 3-1
San Fran 3-1

Who's your contenders and who's your pretenders and why?

Shane P. Hallam
10-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Detroit 4-0 - contender. Comebacks are big, and the defense can make plays. Can they win a Super Bowl? Not with that D, but they will make the playoffs.

Washington 3-1 - Contender. Defense looks strong, Shannahan's system has been put in place. They may still struggle to make the playoffs, but I do think they can compete.

Bills 3-1 - Pretender. Bills offense is there, it is ready. But the holes in the defense and Fitzpatrick not being overly consistent presents a problem. I'm torn, I think they can keep winning, but I'm no 100% there yet.

Houston 3-1 - Contender. Legit team with an improved defense. If Foster is back and healthy, this team can be scary, but they need more effectiveness in the red zone to be pure contenders.

Tennessee 3-1 - Pretender. I feel like they fall back to earth a bit. That being said, they are a solid team and should be in a bitter battle for that division.

San Fran 3-1 - Pretender. This offense can't do anything against decent defenses. Eagles were exposed, but I don't love the 49ers.

Who's your contenders and who's your pretenders and why?[

DoughBoy
10-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Detroit 4-0 - contender. Comebacks are big, and the defense can make plays. Can they win a Super Bowl? Not with that D, but they will make the playoffs.

Washington 3-1 - Contender. Defense looks strong, Shannahan's system has been put in place. They may still struggle to make the playoffs, but I do think they can compete.

Bills 3-1 - Pretender. Bills offense is there, it is ready. But the holes in the defense and Fitzpatrick not being overly consistent presents a problem. I'm torn, I think they can keep winning, but I'm no 100% there yet.

Houston 3-1 - Contender. Legit team with an improved defense. If Foster is back and healthy, this team can be scary, but they need more effectiveness in the red zone to be pure contenders.

Tennessee 3-1 - Pretender. I feel like they fall back to earth a bit. That being said, they are a solid team and should be in a bitter battle for that division.

San Fran 3-1 - Pretender. This offense can't do anything against decent defenses. Eagles were exposed, but I don't love the 49ers.

Who's your contenders and who's your pretenders and why?[

Put yo money where yo mouth is. Give me back my sig if the Tits beat the steelers... and if they don't I'll wear it until the end of the superbowl. U game brah?

;)

tjsunstein
10-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Detroit and Houston are both contenders in the sense that they could make the playoffs but I don't see any of these teams making it past wild card weekend.

BuddyCHRIST
10-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Detroit - Contender, though I don't think they are ready to make the jump to legit SB team. I think they will make the playoffs, and if they get hot who knows.

Buff - Contender, for a playoff spot atleast. They have a very good offense throwing and running. They're defense has shown the ability to make plays. They've already beaten the Pats no reason to think they can't beat the Jets. I could see them going 10-6. Probably not there yet though.

Washington - Pretender, there's just no trusting a team with Rex Grossman as your QB. Reminds me much of KC last year, might even make the playoffs as other NFC East teams are choking but will get blown out if they get there.

Houston - Contender, I thought that before the year this was a SB sleeper. Tons of talent, can throw and pass and have talent on defense that seems to be playing well now with Wade as DC. Hasn't blown games the way they usually do yet. Can't fault them for losing to NO. All the other contenders in the AFC have major issues as well.

Tennessee - Pretender, will be in the playoff hunt but I think they'll lose out. Hassleback has completely bucked his trend and is playing lights out right now. Dunno how long he can keep that up. A good team they just don't strike me as special so I think they will end up missing at 8-8.

SF - Another team like the Chiefs last year, will probably make the playoffs cause the West is horrible. But will get blown out in the playoffs when everybody else takes it up a notch.

CC.SD
10-04-2011, 12:25 PM
I know this is going against the grain but I am gonna say that Washington is for real until proven otherwise. Sure they have a sexy Rexy problem, but be real when was the last time Rex had guys like Davis and Moss to throw to? Throw in an okay running game and a defense that, while not amazing on paper, has legitimate playmakers, and I could see them getting to 10 wins and sneaking in.

Splat
10-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Not going to lie I had no idea the 49ers were 3-1.

hawkeye123
10-04-2011, 12:40 PM

An accepted penalty away from 4-0.

Shane P. Hallam
10-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Put yo money where yo mouth is. Give me back my sig if the Tits beat the steelers... and if they don't I'll wear it until the end of the superbowl. U game brah?

;)

Done and done.

killxswitch
10-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Detroit 4-0 - I am struggling with this one. The Lions are my favorite NFC team. Lots of talent. Stafford, Megatron, Suh and the rest of the DL, Delmas, Pettigrew, and it looks like Titus Young is coming on. But the OL is still not good, none of the RBs are very exciting (I don't believe in Best as between-the-tackles RB), and even though the comebacks have been impressive, good teams don't continually get into those situations. I will say contender, but with reservations.

Washington 3-1 - Pretender. I like the defense, which is weird because I thought the switch to a 3-4 was incredibly dumb last year. Because it was. But it's working out. Orakpo and Kerrigan are going to be a deadly combo for a long time. But I know Rex Grossman. And I don't believe in the Washington receivers. I think they're getting closer and have drawn even with the rest of the East but that says more about the rest of the East IMO. They are making the most strides in that division though, especially with the Eagles going backwards and Dallas stagnating.

Bills 3-1 - Pretender, with reservations. I like a lot of their pieces and I think Fitzy is worth building around. But Fred Jackson is old, CJ Spiller is a less-talented Reggie Bush, the defense doesn't seem to play up to its talent level consistently, and I don't think Fitz is going to get the team over the hump with Stevie Johnson as his #1. All that said, the AFC is down this year so if they won a wildcard spot it wouldn't shock me.

Houston 3-1 - Contender. Schaub to Johnson is deadly, Walter and Jones are not bad 2 and 3 options and Owen Daniels is a well-rounded pass catcher at TE. Underrated OL that makes Foster, Tate, Ward, Slaton, or whoever is running the ball look good. A top NFL offense.

On defense they have tons of talent and Phillips looks like he's going to put it to good use. Finally. Picking so high for so long will finally pay off.

Tennessee 3-1 - Pretender. Britt is out, the OL that blocked for CJ2K is aging, CJ2K is off to a slow start, and Hasslebeck will not sustain this level of play. Good defense though. They're not a bad team at all, just not a top NFL or even AFC team.

San Fran 3-1 - Pretender. I like their OL pieces, their defense, I like Gore and Davis. But Harbaugh can't disguise that passing game forever. I think they will win the NFC West but they will lose to a stronger WC team in the 1st round.

Babylon
10-04-2011, 01:07 PM

3-1 in that division is huge. Their magic number is probably around .

CC.SD
10-04-2011, 01:10 PM
3-1 in that division is huge. Their magic number is probably around .

lol I hope this isn't a typo because it's hilarious.

Babylon
10-04-2011, 01:39 PM
lol I hope this isn't a typo because it's hilarious.

I meant to say two, which may be generous.

keylime_5
10-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Detroit 4-0
Washington 3-1
Bills 3-1
Houston 3-1
Tennessee 3-1
San Fran 3-1

detroit is a contender. might be too young to do much in the postseason, but they'll get there and I think they get into the second round.

washington contender for division title and not much else. division is ripe for the taking and the redskin's defense is for real.

bills pretender. will probably win 9ish games this year, but schedule gets harder and the 4th quarter magic will start to fade away.

houston contender. good offense, great great running game. defense can get to the QB and make big plays. will compete in the AFC playoffs this year.

Tennessee is for real. Great defense, running game starting to come around, Hasselbeck might be the best FA signing of the year. Will move the ball even without Britt. Will win ugly games against good teams like they did when they were good. Well coached team as well which is underrated nowadays.

San Fran I think wins the NFC West. No chance at contending once they reach the playoffs.

Rosebud
10-04-2011, 01:43 PM
I meant to say two, which may be generous.

Just go with it.

K Train
10-04-2011, 01:58 PM
detroit is too legit to be anything but a contender

jsagan77
10-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Detroit 4-0
Washington 3-1
Bills 3-1
Houston 3-1
Tennessee 3-1
San Fran 3-1

I guess I'll add my two cents now....

Detroit - Contender - You can't stop Megatron and Stafford is really coming into his own. I've loved the turnaround that Schwartz has had with this team and I so it doesn't come as any surprise that they've turned the corner.

Washington - Contender - Let's not forget the Redskins are a botched snap away from being 4-0. They have given up the least points in the NFC and they are a legit top 5 D right now. Kerrigan and Orakpo have been unstoppable on the outside and the DL has been disruptive. With Landry back they'll only get better. Their run game is firing on all cylinders with ATV, Helu, and Hightower all adding a different dimension to the offense. Rex is Rex. He's a turnover waiting to happen but the Skins have proven they can win with him. If they make it to the playoffs and Rex get's hot I could see them having some success.

Bills - Pretender - These guys are descent but they need to learn how to win the games they should in order to keep up with the Pats.

Houston - Contender - My AFC prediction for the SB in pre-season. Wade Phillips has their defense playing much better (as expected) and their O is one of the best in the NFL. I can't see them being stopped the rest of the year.

Tennessee - on the fence - Losing Britt hurts a lot and CJ2k isn't CJ2k anymore but they have a stout D and Hass is playing really well. Not sure they squeak into the playoffs but it could happen.

San Fran - Contender - I think they make the playoffs because of the division they play in but I don't think they'll do much once they get there.

phlysac
10-04-2011, 04:11 PM
San Fran 3-1 - Pretender. I like their OL pieces, their defense, I like Gore and Davis. But Harbaugh can't disguise that passing game forever. I think they will win the NFC West but they will lose to a stronger WC team in the 1st round.

I'm just asking for clarification of what you're seeing that's sticking out...

The O-Line has been BY FAR the least valuable portion of the team this season.

"Disguise the passing game"??? How so? Harbaugh has barely even utilized a passing game thus far. When they've opened it up, they've had success.

He's had a conservative game plan adding wrinkles each week and making appropriate adjustments on the fly. The passing attack has looked increasingly better each week. It'll be nice to see what progress is made once Crabtree and Edwards and get on the field together.

Splat
10-04-2011, 04:16 PM
I just can't bring my self to believe in a team with Rex Grossman starting at QB.

V.I.P
10-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Detroit is the only legit team on that list.

Rosebud
10-04-2011, 05:14 PM
detroit is too legit to be anything but a contender

For a Superbowl? Not with that OL, run D and awful back 7.

PoopSandwich
10-04-2011, 05:17 PM

Normally I would agree with this but look at the sad state of the NFC West... 7-9 could win this division again and the competition around the 49'ers is some how worse this year.

If Braylon comes back healthy I don't see anyone in that division being able to compete with them.

soybean
10-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Done and done.

=/ I have a strong feeling the titans will beat the steelers this week.

Ben just isnt playing like a top qb.

Rabscuttle
10-04-2011, 05:52 PM
SF is definitely a contender - for the NFC West -FWIW. We have also added the forward pass to our arsenal, so we have that going for us now.

Brodeur
10-04-2011, 06:03 PM
For a Superbowl? Not with that OL, run D and awful back 7.

Our linebackers are not that bad.

Rosebud
10-04-2011, 06:12 PM

But they're not particularly good and certainly do little to make up for the major holes in your secondary. If a team is able to disrupt Stafford to Megatron you'll be stuck with few answers, now the two of them are great together so it'll take a really good team to do it, but you need to beat really good teams to win the superbowl which is why I wonder what happens when a team with a great pass rush beats up on Stafford with a secondary that can force Calvin into making great catches each time and an offense that can dependably move the ball when they have it.

That Dallas game to me was a great example, if Dallas doesn't turn the ball over the way they did and had a better secondary they could've held onto that game. Now it's impressive that the lions were able to come back in that game, but there are teams with Dallas' pass rush who'll also have the secondary and offense to not **** the bed against them.

SuperMcGee
10-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Bills 3-1 - Pretender, with reservations. I like a lot of their pieces and I think Fitzy is worth building around. But Fred Jackson is old, CJ Spiller is a less-talented Reggie Bush, the defense doesn't seem to play up to its talent level consistently, and I don't think Fitz is going to get the team over the hump with Stevie Johnson as his #1.

I don't have an issue with not believing in the Bills, but I really dont care for your argument. Can't see how the running backs would be an issue. I disagree with your Spiller comparison. He hasn't done squat and Im not expecting him to be great, but our immediate contending/pretending is not in his hands and I don't see him as a Bush. Not sure how soon you expect Jackson to slow down, but it's probably too soon. Stevie has had excellent production as long as Fitz has been quarterback and is a fine top guy in this offense. Neither he nor Fitzpatrick is an amazing talent and the passing game will certainly be disrupted at times, but there are so many other positions that I would see upgraded before our top wide receiver.

Bills2083
10-04-2011, 06:39 PM
I don't have an issue with not believing in the Bills, but I really dont care for your argument. Can't see how the running backs would be an issue. I disagree with your Spiller comparison. He hasn't done squat and Im not expecting him to be great, but our immediate contending/pretending is not in his hands and I don't see him as a Bush. Not sure how soon you expect Jackson to slow down, but it's probably too soon. Stevie has had excellent production as long as Fitz has been quarterback and is a fine top guy in this offense. Neither he nor Fitzpatrick is an amazing talent and the passing game will certainly be disrupted at times, but there are so many other positions that I would see upgraded before our top wide receiver.

such as...
Left Tackle
Right Tackle
Right Guard?
Strong Safety
OLB
Potentially CB (McKelvin sucks poop)

jrdrylie
10-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Detroit: You have to say contenders. But I'm not as sure as others might be. They should be 2-2 right now with a loss to the Vikings. They host Chicago, San Francisco, and Atlanta as well as going to Denver. Go 3-1, and I'll really start buying them.

Washington: Pretenders. Rex Grossman is starting to show his bad side. The Giants are better. Dallas is better but keeps blowing it. They have a shot at the Wild Card, but three teams from both the North and the South are competing too. We'll see after their bye, with Philadelphia at home and then away games at Carolina and Buffalo.

Buffalo: Contenders. Somebody has to get a Wild Card spot in the AFC. It won't be Miami, Kansas City, Jacksonville, Denver, Cleveland, or Cincinnati. That leaves Tennessee, Oakland, Pittsburgh, and New York. I don't think they are Super Bowl worthy, but they should win a wild card.

Houston: Contenders.

Tennessee: Pretenders. Two of their wins are over Denver and Cleveland. I think they end up 6-10 or 7-9.

San Francisco: Are they good? No. But Seattle and St. Louis are bottom-10 teams and the Cards aren't much better.

RufusMcDaniel
10-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Whoa whoa whoa....two of our wins are over Denver and Cleveland....and two of Houston's are against winless teams. Why does that make the Titans a pretender and Houston is a contender? Because this is their year, like every year?

We beat Baltimore, they beat Pittsburgh....which is more impressive this year?

TitanHope
10-04-2011, 07:29 PM
I don't really like critiquing other teams, so please, feel free to correct or object to anything I say.

Detroit 4-0 - [Contender] - The question has always been, "Can Stafford stay healthy?" He has so far, and if that continues, then I definitely see the Lions as a WC contender. They have a franchise QB, a HC that I love, and special players like Megatron and Suh that can single-handedly change games. Poor OL and secondary prevent them from being elite, though.

Washington 3-1 - [Borderline] - Having spazzes like the Cowboys and Eagles in the same division helps, but I think this is just a good team that will be fortunate. Grossman still has a lot to prove, but the defense is legit. I see 'em as more of an 8-8+ team that has a chance to win their division or a WC depending on the NFC South and Lions's successes.

Bills 3-1 - [Pretender] - I have faith in Fitz and Jackson, but the defense is bad and can't live off the big play all year. They're last in the league in sacks, bottom 6 in yards given up per game, and middle of the pack in PPG allowed, and unless they keep leading the league in INT's, then the defense isn't one you can rely on, which I think is vital for contending teams. Definitely a competitive team though and should finish with a 7-9/8-8 record, but unless you have an elite QB, you need a good defense to contend, and even if I trust Fitz, I don't think he's elite. I am totally, 100% rooting for them though.

Houston 3-1 - [Contender] - Weak division, and they've upgraded all over, especially on defense. I predicted a 10-6 season for them in the AFC South forum, and am confident they'll hit that mark barring injury. They should win the division.

Tennessee 3-1 - [Borderline] - If Kenny Britt was healthy, then this would be contender. I thought the Titans would go 8-8, and that Hasselbeck would be better than people thought and that the defense would be blue collar and middle of the pack. Never did I think they'd be this good. Hass has the highest QB rating of his career so far, and the defense in 1st in PPG allowed (Although I think they're a Top 10 overall defense, not true, dominant #1). So good QB play and good defensive play will give this team a shot at a winning record, but I think Houston takes the division, so they'll have to battle for the WC which will be a close battle.

San Fran 3-1 - [Borderline] - I have no confidence in Alex Smith, and while the defense is stingy and stops the run, the pass defense is a weakness. And while they have a great chance to win the division, it's because of the division they play in. So even if they do make the playoffs, I don't think they'll be real contendors, so they get a borderline thanks to the Rams, Seahawks, and Cardinals. I think they're the worst team listed, and it's hard to say the Bills are a pretender when they're a better team, yet the 49ers get a BL.

dannyz
10-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Not this Year but if they have a Good Draft I think they will be a Superbowl Contender Next Year.

jrdrylie
10-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Whoa whoa whoa....two of our wins are over Denver and Cleveland....and two of Houston's are against winless teams. Why does that make the Titans a pretender and Houston is a contender? Because this is their year, like every year?

We beat Baltimore, they beat Pittsburgh....which is more impressive this year?

Houston has a better Quarterback. Houston has a better receiver. Houston arguably has a better running back (or at least they have been much more effective). Tennessee's defense is slightly better in terms of rankings. But the offenses they've played are ranked 31, 24, 22, and 14. Houston has played 30, 17, 13, and 2. And across the board defensively I think Houston is more talented.

bucfan12
10-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Detroit- CONTENDER: With Calvin Johnson, they are for real on offense. Defensively, there front 7 is really good. With a good front 7 that they have, there secondary gets a ton of help. However, Chris Houston has been very good for them and there secondary may not be great, but it's above average.

Buffalo- PRETENDER: I see them coming back down to earth. I said at the end of preseason, they'd be 7-9 and I'm sticking to that. I just think more teams are going to figure them out and how to beat them. Fitzpatrick is decent, but he's not one of those QBs that takes over games.

Washington- CONTENDERS: I can't believe I'm saying this, but with there defense, they're going to be in the division race/wild card race until the end. Thing is, can Rex Grossman not lay an egg? We'll know more by week 8.

San Fransisco- PRETENDERS: They beat the Eagles yes, but that's because Andy Reid decided to keep throwing the ball with a 20 point lead in the 2nd half, when you run the clock out, basically giving them opportunities. The 49ers passing game hasn't impressed me, along with there running game (Philly doesn't count, worst run defense in NFL). I think they can win the NFC West with the way they're playing, but let's see if Alex Smith can keep it up. Against the rest of the field, I can't see them competing.

Tennesee- CONTENDERS: The AFC South is pretty much between Houston and Tennessee. I don't think they can be a team though that can win shootouts with the Texans, but if they can stick to the way they're playing, they'll be there for the AFC South crown in the closing weeks. For now, contenders, but lets see how 'old man Hasselbacks' body holds up through the rest of the season.

Tampa Bay (3-1)- PRETENDERS: The talent is there and they're winning, but I still think they're a year away from contention. Too many dumb penalties that should have cost them a loss to Indy. Defense is coming along, the WRs on offense can't do anything, which is going to hurt them down the stretch.

TitanHope
10-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Houston has a better Quarterback. Houston has a better receiver. Houston arguably has a better running back (or at least they have been much more effective). Tennessee's defense is slightly better in terms of rankings. But the offenses they've played are ranked 31, 24, 22, and 14. Houston has played 30, 17, 13, and 2. And across the board defensively I think Houston is more talented.

If you take into account that while Tennessee might have the better RB, the production of the Houston RB's make them arguably better, then I say you have to give Hasselbeck enough credit to challenge Schaub based on Hass's production. He has a higher QB rating, more yards, higher completion percentage, higher Y/A, more TD's, and the same amount of INT's.

And since Andre Johnson is now hurt with a hamstring injury, which can nag all year and is so bad he had to have surgery to prevent scar tissue from forming, then I'd say that Tennessee's Britt-less group is better than Houston's Johnson-less group. When Johnson returns will change that, but will he be the same with a bad wheel?

I think both units are greatly improved, but Tennessee's defense is better, especially in the secondary. It's statistically better and it's deeper. Houston may have more star power with Super Mario, but I don't think the rest are demonstrably more talented than what the Titans have. A few more early draft picks, but the Titans have gotten just as good of play from mid-late round picks. They've successfully invested a lot into the defense lately as well, and players like Jason Jones, Derrick Morgan, Jason McCourty, Alterraun Verner, Akeem Ayers, William Hayes, Jurrell Casey, Karl Klug, and nickel LB Gerald McRath are all major contributors on a good defense that pair well with recent FA acquisitions like Will Witherspoon, Shaun Smith, Barrett Ruud, and Jordan Babineaux. And the key to all of this has been new DC Jerry Gray, who has been outstanding and is a night and day improvement over former DC Chuck Cecil.

Rabscuttle
10-04-2011, 08:33 PM
San Fransisco- PRETENDERS: They beat the Eagles yes, but that's because Andy Reid decided to keep throwing the ball with a 20 point lead in the 2nd half, when you run the clock out, basically giving them opportunities. The 49ers passing game hasn't impressed me, along with there running game (Philly doesn't count, worst run defense in NFL). I think they can win the NFC West with the way they're playing, but let's see if Alex Smith can keep it up.

As a Niner fan, I wish everybody would try running the ball against us and quit killing us in the air. The shorter field would be nice too.

bucfan12
10-04-2011, 08:50 PM
As a Niner fan, I wish everybody would try running the ball against us and quit killing us in the air. The shorter field would be nice too.

I like the 49ers, but not this year. I still think they have some holes that haven't been exposed yet. I'm looking forward to the 49ers/Bucs game this week. Not expecting a Bucs victory with the short week/long trip, but you never know.

I like that Gholston kid in the secondary, physical beast when he hits people. Also, like the way the front seven is playing. Navarro Bowman has really stepped up big alongside Willis

Brent
10-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Contender or Pretender for playoffs, not the Super Bowl. Also, this is a current assessment because we're limited in scope here.

Detroit 4-0 Contender. I want to see how they perform against Packers.
Washington 3-1 Contender. NFC East is overrated.
Bills 3-1 Contender. I want them to do well.
Houston 3-1 Contender. I want to see them play the Titans.
Tennessee 3-1 Contender. Hasselbeck gives them their best QB since McNair.
San Fran 3-1 Pretender. Two words: Alex Smith.

Bills2083
10-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Bills 3-1 - [Pretender] - I have faith in Fitz and Jackson, but the defense is bad and can't live off the big play all year. They're last in the league in sacks, bottom 6 in yards given up per game, and middle of the pack in PPG allowed, and unless they keep leading the league in INT's, then the defense isn't one you can rely on, which I think is vital for contending teams. Definitely a competitive team though and should finish with a 7-9/8-8 record, but unless you have an elite QB, you need a good defense to contend, and even if I trust Fitz, I don't think he's elite. I am totally, 100% rooting for them though.

Good analysis of the Bills. Pretty much everything is spot-on.
I agree that Fitzpatrick is not an elite QB. But his situation is very interesting.
With Chan Gailey at the helm, he can make any QB, I feel, a good one. He tailors the system to fit his QB's needs (Thigpen, Stewart, and now Fitzpatrick). But what if we did have a QB in here that was considered to be a franchise guy, such as Luck? Would we be that much better of an offense? Or could the current offense actually become one of the better ones in the league? There are just so many variables here that it is hard to judge, which is partly why I'm rambling on and on, throwing thoughts down rather than into coherent sentences lol. If our Oline was actually good, would our offense drastically improve? I have no clue because the offense is tailored around being in the spread and making quick throws to get the ball out fast. This team just seems so... different to me.

Obviously the offense can score. So I feel that our defense should be based on rushing the passer first and foremost, due to the offense putting up points and getting the team out in the lead. But we don't seem to have any sort of pass-rush at this point in time.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what exactly I just wrote down, partially due to the fact that I'm running on no sleep and I'm constantly getting distracted. I'll try to clean this up tomorrow to make it more clear what I was trying to say.

TitanHope
10-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Good analysis of the Bills. Pretty much everything is spot-on.
I agree that Fitzpatrick is not an elite QB. But his situation is very interesting.
With Chan Gailey at the helm, he can make any QB, I feel, a good one. He tailors the system to fit his QB's needs (Thigpen, Stewart, and now Fitzpatrick). But what if we did have a QB in here that was considered to be a franchise guy, such as Luck? Would we be that much better of an offense? Or could the current offense actually become one of the better ones in the league? There are just so many variables here that it is hard to judge, which is partly why I'm rambling on and on, throwing thoughts down rather than into coherent sentences lol. If our Oline was actually good, would our offense drastically improve? I have no clue because the offense is tailored around being in the spread and making quick throws to get the ball out fast. This team just seems so... different to me.

Obviously the offense can score. So I feel that our defense should be based on rushing the passer first and foremost, due to the offense putting up points and getting the team out in the lead. But we don't seem to have any sort of pass-rush at this point in time.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what exactly I just wrote down, partially due to the fact that I'm running on no sleep and I'm constantly getting distracted. I'll try to clean this up tomorrow to make it more clear what I was trying to say.

Lol, I don't think the offense is a problem, and I think you can win with a QB like Fitz. It's just the defense has too many chinks in the armor, but that can be fixed in one offseason, assuming guys like Dareus, Williams, Moats, Carrington, Troup, and Sheppard develop properly. You just gotta be able to get to the QB, and the current personnel hasn't been able to do that. That may just be the consequences of moving to a 3-4 when guys like Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus are your strengths, and you have to move Chris Kelsay to OLB and Merriman is himself. OLB's are just so vital for a 3-4's pass-rush.

Babylon
10-06-2011, 03:36 PM

Once Fairley gets his feet wet the run D shouldn't be bad either.

Ness
10-06-2011, 03:48 PM
San Fransisco- PRETENDERS: They beat the Eagles yes, but that's because Andy Reid decided to keep throwing the ball with a 20 point lead in the 2nd half, when you run the clock out, basically giving them opportunities. The 49ers passing game hasn't impressed me, along with there running game (Philly doesn't count, worst run defense in NFL). I think they can win the NFC West with the way they're playing, but let's see if Alex Smith can keep it up. Against the rest of the field, I can't see them competing.

Well passing the ball was not a bad move. They weren't going to run on us. We have one of the best run defenses in the NFL and it showed in the first half against them. Our secondary is our weak link.