PDA

View Full Version : RaiderNations Updated Top 32 Prospects 10/4

RaiderNation
10-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Questions and comments are welcomed as always. I hope this can help you with your evaluation of the draft eligible prospects this year....

1 Andrew Luck QB Stanford*- 1 of the 3 elite prospects in the draft, Luck has everything you look for in a franchise QB. He might be the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning.

2 Matt Kalil OT USC*- Kalil has the measurables, technique and genes to be a franchise LT. At 6’7 300lbs, Kalil was the reason last years top 10 pick Tyron Smith played RT while at USC.

3 Matt Barkley QB USC*- I wasn’t a big believer before this season that Barkley was a franchise type QB, but I have seen huge improvement into his Junior season. He has great intangibles and is a great consolation prize to Luck.

4 Quinton Coples DE UNC-The top DE and Senior, Coples may not be an elite pass rusher but has shown he can be an effective player on vs. the run and pass. He can play all 3 downs and is the type of DE you can build your defense with.

5 Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State*- Justin Blackmon has overtaken Jeffery as the #1 WR in the draft. Blackmon has outstanding production and can be a go-to WR in the NFL.

6 Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina*- Jeffery has elite size similar to Calvin Johnson, but questions about his speed will keep him behind Blackmon. If he can run a sub 4.5 in the combine he should be a top 10 pick.

7 Jonathan Martin OT Stanford*- Martin has shown he can be an Pro Bowl blindside protector the last 2 years for Stanford. He will need to get bigger to be a good run blocker, but he isn’t far behind Kalil as a pass protector.

8 Morris Claiborne CB LSU*- At 6’0 190lbs, Claiborne is one of the main reasons why LSU has such a dominant defense in the SEC. He may not be the prospect Patrick Peterson was, but he can be a Pro Bowler at CB in the NFL.

9 Trent Richardson RB Alabama*- Richardson isn’t the type of prospect like Adrian Peterson or Darren McFadden, but be has the talent to be a top 10 pick in the NFL. He has shown he can take over for Heisman winner Mark Ingram.

10 Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama*- He got beat a few times last week, but Kirkpatrick is still a good CB prospect for the draft. At 6’3 195lbs, he has the speed and potential to be a lockdown CB.

11 Jerel Worthy DT Michigan State*- Some may not view Worthy as this high of a rankings, but I believe he has the skills to be a impact DT. He has nice size at 6’3 310lbs, and is an explosive enough of an athlete to be a productive pass rusher.

12 Riley Reiff OT Iowa*- He may not be the caliber of Kalil or Martin, but drafting Reiff to play LT or RT in the NFL could be a smart pick. He is a mauler in the run game, and has a nice size at 6’6 300lbs.

13 Vontaze Burfict LB Arizona State*- Burfict is a nasty LB that can be a huge intimidator inside similar to Ray Lewis. He still has room for improvement, but a team will fall in love with his physical attributes.

14 Jared Crick DT Nebraska- I feel Crick is a very underrated prospect, and might be the best 3-4 DE prospect in the draft. He has constantly shown the ability to get the QB and make plays in the back field.

15 David DeCastro OL Stanford*- Not many interior linemen are every ranked this high, but DeCastro has the talent to be a All Pro. Some argue he is a better prospect than teammate Jonathan Martin, but his position isn’t a high need for most teams.

16 Landry Jones QB Oklahoma*- Jones may not be the franchise QB like some claim, but he has the ability and prototypical size to be a starting QB in the NFL. Jones has put up similar stats to Sam Bradford while at Oklahoma.

17 Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska- CB is becoming one of the biggest needs in the pass happy NFL, and Dennard will likely a hot commodity when at the draft. He has proven to be a starting caliber CB similarly to his former teammate Prince Amukamara.

18 Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame- Floyd has proven this year he can be a potential go-to WR, but his character issues will come up when evaluating him as a pro prospect. At 6’3 220lbs, he can be similar WR to Hakeem Nicks.

19 Robert Griffin III QB Baylor*- RG3 has shown this year he has the ability to be a starting QB. At a legit 6’2 220lbs, Griffin is a similar QB and athlete to Donovan McNabb.

20 Luke Kuechly LB Boston College*-At 6’3 240lbs, Kuechly needs to add 5-10lbs but is still worth a top 20 pick in the draft. He is a tackling machine and has top intangibles for a pro prospect.

21 Devin Taylor DE South Carolina*- Similarly to Aldon Smith, Taylor might be the high rising DE in this years draft. At 6’7 260lbs, he projects as both a 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB.

22 Jayron Hosley CB Virginia Tech*- Hosley is the type of ball hawk CB that teams fear to throw at. He could project to FS in the NFL as well, and has a similar game to DeAngelo Hall.

23 DJ Fluker OT Alabama**- Even though he is a Redshirt Sophomore, Fluker could be lured by the possibility to be a top 15 pick and enter the draft. At 6’6 340lbs, he could develop into a LT in the NFL if given the time.

24 Manti Te’o LB Notre Dame*- Similarly to Kuechly, Te’o has been a tacking machine at ILB while in college. At 6’2 255lbs, he is NFL ready and has the look of a impact ILB.

25 Janoris Jenkins CB Northern Alabama- Going into the 2010 college season, Jenkins was regarded as a challenger to Prince Amukamara for the #2 CB prospect. He has character problems which teams will likely be afraid of though.

26 TJ McDonald SS USC*- McDonald may not be the freak athlete Taylor Mays was coming out, but he definitely has better game tape. At 6’3 205lbs, McDonald has been the only bright spot in a bad USC secondary.

27 Brandon Jenkins DE Florida State*- At 6’3 260lbs, Jenkins had an outstanding Sophomore season with 13.5 sacks. With 2 already this year, Jenkins has the pass rushing skills to be a 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB prospect.

28 Zach Brown LB UNC- Brown is one of my favorite prospect in the this draft for many reasons. He is a do it all player, being an impact player against the run, pass and even an effective blitzer as a OLB.

29 Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama- As more and more teams start using the 3-4 defense, the need for a pass rusher at OLB will increase. Upshaw comes from Alabama’s 3-4 system and will join the many other successful players to come from the Crimson Tide.

30 Michael Brewster C Ohio State- Brewster may not be the Center prospect like Nick Mangold, but he has the look of an effective player on the interior line. At 6’5 300lbs he has elite size to handle the 3-4 NT’s of the NFL.

31 Robert Lester DB Alabama*- A talented defensive back, Lester has the ability to potentially play FS or SS in the NFL. He hasn’t gotten at INT this year, but put up a outstanding 8 INT’s as a Sophomore.

32 Alameda Ta‘amu NT Washington- As 3-4 defense’s become more used in the NFL, the need for big starting NT’s will become big needs. Ta’amu has surprising athleticism for a man his size and plugs running holes inside.

vidae
10-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Nice list, and I like the RG3 love.

RaiderNation
10-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Nice list, and I like the RG3 love.

Yup I am buying into the RG3 hype now. I watched the Baylor game from last week again and I do see a lot of good things. If he can be a legit 6'2 220+ at the combine he should be a top 20 pick.

BuddyCHRIST
10-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Just a note for teams projecting Jenkins to the 3-4, he has moved around alot this year and has played standing up quite a bit. Usually to just move around and come after the QB, but he's dropped in coverage as well and looked pretty smooth. He should have an easier transition as he played standing up alot in HS.

I just don't buy any of the WR prospects as top 10 guys, both are very productive but aren't can't miss guys but any stretch. Blackmon plays in an inflated offense and doesn't have elite tools. Jeffrey is very big and physical but I really question his speed and a guy who already looks out of shape probably isn't going to start getting more in shape. If its that hard for him then I really wouldn't be surprised to see him take the early BMW route. Those types of big WR's haven't transitioned very well.

I think all the LB prospects will end up getting pushed down as I don't think they will all test that well. Burf, Teo, Kuechly probably aren't that fast on a track.

RaiderNation
10-04-2011, 05:11 PM
I think all the LB prospects will end up getting pushed down as I don't think they will all test that well. Burf, Teo, Kuechly probably aren't that fast on a track.

This typically does happen once the workouts start happening. I think Burfict will test much better than Te'o and Kuechly, and potentially be a top 15 pick.

holt_bruce81
10-04-2011, 05:12 PM
RG3 love! You are awesome, congrats.

ToldLikeItIs
10-05-2011, 09:52 AM
I like it.

Have you evaluated Marvin McNutt at all Raiders?

ArkyRamsFan
10-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Good list, Raider. BTW based on what you've seen so far who would you like for the Raiders to grab.

RaiderNation
10-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Good list, Raider. BTW based on what you've seen so far who would you like for the Raiders to grab.

Still very early but I'd think Zach Brown to play WLB for us would be excellent. Morris Claiborne would also be a great pick for us but I doubt he will be on the board when we pick

Ozzy
10-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Pretty solid list, a few things I would disagree with.

First off Robert Griffin III is nothing like McNabb in my opinion. McNabb has always been physically strong and thick, Griffin is and probably always will be thin and skinny. Griffin throws an accurate ball as well, McNabb never really did but McNabb has arguably more velocity on his throws. As for Griffin being a 1st round pick, maybe, but he is just a more accurate version of Reggie McNeal until he proves he can consistently play at a high level. Which he probably will come season end, crazy how he is improving so fast.

Really hard to argue Dwayne Allen is not a top 32 prospect, like really hard to argue against that! Kid is a stud and will be a 1st round pick.

Maybe it is just me, and yes he is an underclassmen but I would take Peter Konz over Brewster any day.

How is Melvin Ingram not a 1st round pick? I would take him over a few players you have listed, especially with how he is playing and what he has shown.

Same can be said for Brandon Thompson, guy is a stud defensive tackle and is as good as any right now.

In terms of a NT, one could argue Nicolas Jean-Baptiste of Baylor is palying better than Ta'amu.

Plus give me Dont'a Hightower over Zach Brown, Hightower is a better player overall and is showing that last year is behind him and conditioning is not longer such an issue. Could also make a case for Bruce Irvin as a 3/4 OLB being in the top 32, as well as Nigel Bradham potentially.

Not sure I would put Dennard up so high at corner, he is good but not sure he is that elite just yet, especially with how awful that Nebraska defense is playing, Dennard has been in an out because of injuries but even when he is in there he is not making as much of an impact.

ArkyRamsFan
10-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Still very early but I'd think Zach Brown to play WLB for us would be excellent. Morris Claiborne would also be a great pick for us but I doubt he will be on the board when we pick

As far as I can remember Al has only selected ONE OLB in the first round in the history of the Raiders. Remember Rob Frederickson?

Usually, Davis selects people who are smaller but very fast or really, really BIG guys. Do you see him deviating from his pattern this year?

RaiderNation
10-05-2011, 04:45 PM
As far as I can remember Al has only selected ONE OLB in the first round in the history of the Raiders. Remember Rob Frederickson?

Usually, Davis selects people who are smaller but very fast or really, really BIG guys. Do you see him deviating from his pattern this year?

He also took McClain when everybody pincled in Bruce Campbell at that pick. Brown is the type of athlete Al will be attracted too, he has 4.4 speed at 6'2 230lbs. He also fits the type of OLB's we have been using and with the way Quinton Groves has been playing I wouldnt be surprised if we went with Brown to try and upgrade of defense.

Still though I wouldn't be surprised at all if we took a CB though, but it all depends on how Al views DVD and Chekwa

shylo3716
10-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Is it because Miami does not have a winning record it effects Lamar Miller's status with you?

How about David Wilson getting some consideration?

RaiderNation
10-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Is it because Miami does not have a winning record it effects Lamar Miller's status with you?

How about David Wilson getting some consideration?

Idk whats with you and Lamar Miller. Isn't he only a Sophomore? He can't declare for the 2012 draft.

Wilson is a solid prospect at RB, putting up very solid stats right now. Idk if he has NFL speed though but I think he is a solid 3rd/4th round prospect.

Hurricanes25
10-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Lamar Miller is a redshirt sophomore by the way so he is eligible.

Good job with the list though. I see you're much higher on Coples than I am. And I'm glad that you have Lester up there and not Barron. I guess we both agree who the better 'Bama saftey is.

bengalbuck
10-06-2011, 11:43 PM
Idk whats with you and Lamar Miller. Isn't he only a Sophomore? He can't declare for the 2012 draft.

Wilson is a solid prospect at RB, putting up very solid stats right now. Idk if he has NFL speed though but I think he is a solid 3rd/4th round prospect.

Wilson is a track guy who runs sub 4.4 (4.37) and was the fastest guy on the Va Tech roster in spring testing....I'm not sure if he projects as anything more than a change of pace guy in the NFL but speed is definitely not his problem.

Also, I agree with the Canes fan on Miller. He's a RS Soph and probably going to declare and I think he's a top 25 overall prospect and the #2 RB. He's also a track guy who runs a sub 4.4 and is also really solidly built and can run inside. He's the best Miami RB prospect in a long time. It's very rare to see RBs with that legit sub 4.4 speed (and big-time productivity) who have the potential to be every down backs in the NFL, which is why I see Miller as one of the rare RBs in this day and age who will have a 1st round grade.

bengalbuck
10-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Here's an excerpt from a Miami-Herald article from a few years back that gives a little background on Miller's speed and why many (like me and the Miami fans) view him as such a big-time prospect:

Lamar Miller hasn't had a conversation with a University of Miami coach since he attended the spring game last month. It's not because Miller is mad at the Canes, or the Canes are mad at Miller. They're still definitely in love. It's because Miller has eyes on something else -- winning the state title in the 100 meters.

Lamar Miller Thursday afternoon, I caught up with the Killian High running back at the District 16-4A track and field meet down at Southridge High School. He looked a little different from the last time I saw on National Signing Day when he wore a black suit and an orange and green Canes tie. This Miller was 10 pounds lighter, right around 208 he says, and wearing a pair of black track and field tights to go with a determined attitude. "I really want to win a state championship," he told me before the race. "I don't like losing at anything."

Miller proceeded to win his next race moments later by doing what he often does on the football field -- blowing past his competitors. At the horse track, he would have won by at least two lengths. It wasn't his best time (10.79 seconds), but it got him one step closer to where he wants to be in two weeks -- the FHSAA state track and field championships in Winter Park.

Miller finished 11th in the state last year and currently has the 25th fastest time (10.73) this season in the state according to flrunners.com. Normally, non-track officianados would think that's not that impressive. But when you look at who is in front of Miller this year (it's probably one of the fastest years in state history) and how his career best compares (10.56, which he ran as a junior) to other Hurricanes and football greats, you come to appreciate the great open field speed Miller possesses for someone who stands 6-feet and weighs close to 210 pounds.

Remember how in awe we were of the speed slender Canes receiver Travis Benjamin showed us this past season? His fastest 100-meter time at Glades Central was 10.72 seconds. Remember little, speedy Sinorce Moss and how he would blow past guys in the secondary? His career best in the 100 meters at Carol City was 10.96. Devin Hester -- the guy with the 100 speed rating in John Madden's video game -- his fastest at Riviera Beach Suncoast was 10.87 seconds. Miller (timed at 4.32 in the 40-yard dash as a junior) has not only run faster than those speedy Canes in the 100 meters, but Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson (10.61) too. The fastest any Hurricane has run in 100-yard dash? Little-used former cornerback Terrell Walden (10.65).

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2009/04/lamar-miller-is-scary-fast.html#ixzz1a4I8XV4u