View Full Version : Week 5, Packers @ Atlanta

J-Mike88
10-04-2011, 05:38 PM
PACKERS (4-0) @ FALCONS (2-2)
NBC Sunday Night Football

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx231/littleelmsports12/ryan_rodgers.jpg

J-Mike88
10-04-2011, 05:41 PM
I agree with TJ that this game will be chippy because the Atlanta defense is pissed and embarrassed.
Also, they've added Ray Edwards opposite John Abraham, and as a former Viking, he already hates the Packers.

This will be another tough test for Marshall Newhouse. Last week he allowed 2 sacks to Von Miller, although I believe one of them was Rodgers' fault.

Our regular season game loss to them last year was the first SUPER-CLUTCH, DO-or-DIE brilliance I saw from Rodgers. Even though special teams lost it right afterwards, his last second drive, and 4th down pass to Jordy for the tying TD was huge.

J-Mike88
10-05-2011, 05:55 AM
I am interested to see how the Falcons will handle J-Mike.
We lit them up in January without him. I believe we didn't have him when we lost there last season either.

Will they defend him like the Broncos did last week? They saw the result with Rodgers feeding all the WRs for TDs.
Will the focus on Jennings, exposing them to Finley like the Bears allowed, with J-Mike getting 3 TDs?

Will they focus on both guys, and let Starks and Grant potentially cash the hell out of them for a combined 175 yards?

TimmG6376
10-05-2011, 10:19 AM
I don't think the Falcons D vs Packers O will be much different this time around. I'm more interested about how the Falcons O vs Packers D plays out. Clay and company were playing extremely well at the time. Not playing quite as well at the moment.

The Falcon's excuse after the playoff game was that they just weren't built to play from behind. To get more explosive on offense they mortgaged their draft on Julio, but haven't been able to protect Ryan. Ryan has been sacked 13 times in 4 games and that doesn't account for hurries and knock downs.

If there isn't any pressure on him this week I will be extremely disappointed.

tjsunstein
10-05-2011, 12:20 PM
I would go ahead and say that they drafted Julio Jones because of what the Packers game exposed last season.

J-Mike88
10-05-2011, 03:52 PM
They not only mortgaged their 2011 draft on Julio, but I think they also mortgaged their 2012 on him as well. Didn't they trade away that #1 pick?

Good point about the difference in our defense.

We CAN shut down a good RB, as we showed to Forte. But they have Knox and Hester, not Roddy & Julio. Would you commit to shutting down Turner as we did to the Bears, and leave the DBs exposed?

What's the over/under on this game? I don't think 35 points will be enough to win this game. I see a game like the Saints opener at us.

Packers 42, Falcons 38
BET THE OVER

SuperPacker
10-05-2011, 04:42 PM
If the Seahawks can score 28 points against the Falcons than i dont se how we cant get at least 60 points!! I expect a 63-28 win.

PackerLegend
10-05-2011, 08:08 PM
I doubt we will get any pressure at all... So far we have seen hardly anything that looks like a pass rush. The O better keep playing at the pace it has because we will need the points. IMO, I really really hope im wrong

J-Mike88
10-06-2011, 03:36 PM
If (big If, but certainly possilble), if we lose, which Falcon offensive player do you think will have the most to do with it?

-Ryan
-Roddy
-Turner
-Julio
-Gonalez
-JaQuizz Rodgers (remember what Sproles did to us week 1)

BloodBrother
10-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Gonzalez will kill them. Lack of pass rush really exposes this teams weakness at LBer when it comes to coverage

I think the Pack O brings it

Pack 38
Falcons 21

TimmG6376
10-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Don't see So'to on the inactives list. Will we get to see him play a little tonight?

PackerLegend
10-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Don't see So'to on the inactives list. Will we get to see him play a little tonight?

I sure hope so... just give him a couple chances maybe he can actually generate some pressure.

cvv84
10-09-2011, 04:04 PM

The inactives aren't announced until an hour before kickoff. He was active last week too.

I sure hope so... just give him a couple chances maybe he can actually generate some pressure.

And hopefully take some guys away from Clay.

cvv84
10-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Inactive:

Davon House
Nick Collins
Frank Zombo
Bryan Bulaga
Andrew Quarless
Mike Neal
Vic So'oto

BloodBrother
10-09-2011, 06:23 PM
ATL DE John Abraham is inactive today. That's a huge blow to the Falcons pass rush

TimmG6376
10-09-2011, 06:26 PM
ATL DE John Abraham is inactive today. That's a huge blow to the Falcons pass rush

Their starting Center is out too. Raji needs to take advantage

TimmG6376
10-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Jsonline live blog just reported that Brad Jones is in for Matthews anyone see what happened?

He's back. Equipment problem apparently

cvv84
10-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Is it Thanksgiving already? Our defense is getting carved up!

cvv84
10-09-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't get it, why not try to run that in? Seems like we're affraid to run the ball in the redzone. Huge stop for the Falcons and a huge miss for us.

BloodBrother
10-09-2011, 08:48 PM
What a crappy first half. D seems to always come out of the gates slow and looking terrible. The offense has really shot themselves in the foot this half. The fumble on their first drive in ATL territory, and their red zone offense being 0-2 and settlign for FG's...the 2nd one being on a crucial drop by Finley that should have been an easy TD

fortunate to be down only 14-6 right now

TimmG6376
10-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Not a pretty half. Rodgers is still playing pretty well considering the inexperience at tackle right now. Defense has got to step it up and get them into more 3rd a longs.

cvv84
10-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Time to start moving Clay around. We can't just keep him on the left side, got to start moving him around or he'll continue to be gameplanned for.

Our offense will get theirs but the defense has to step up and create stops and/or turnovers.

Not a pretty half. Rodgers is still playing pretty well considering the inexperience at tackle right now. Defense has got to step it up and get them into more 3rd a longs.

I haven't really seen it as an issue yet. We're killing ourselves with the fumble, trying to pass inside the 10 yard line, and a huge drop by Finley. As BB said we're lucky to only be down by 8 points.

BloodBrother
10-09-2011, 08:57 PM
ATL is doing what they were hoping to, which is controlling the clock and having long sustained scoring drives. Pack D needs to get off the field on 3rd downs, period

the offense is doing fine at movin the ball, but they need to stop hurting themselves

still can't believe that Finley drop. Perfect pass to.

BloodBrother
10-09-2011, 09:00 PM
the concerning thing again is the lack of pass rush vs a weak OL

cvv84
10-09-2011, 09:19 PM
the concerning thing again is the lack of pass rush vs a weak OL

The entire defense is a concern to me. They don't aren't the same D as last season. Pickett disapears and the same with whomever they play at the other end. Raji and Matthews can't do it alone while guys just aren't playing like they did last season. Hawk, Bishop, Tramon, and Shields need to get going badly.

cvv84
10-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Defense coming up big so far in the 2nd half! Rodgers throws his 100th career TD pass. He's also hit 11 different receivers.

cvv84
10-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Well Finley you want the ball, now quit dropping it! 2 critical errors for him tonight.

cvv84
10-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Yeeeeah!! Defense comes up again! Great sack by Bishop on the blitz and Pep playing the tip drill to perfection. If we can get a score here we're in control.

TimmG6376
10-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Defense started out shaky, but they did seem to get back to being more aggressive in the second half.

TimmG6376
10-09-2011, 10:33 PM
The young tackles played well after a settling down.

Anyone else think that down the road our "best five" might be:

Newhouse Bulaga Wells Sitton Sherrod

cvv84
10-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Defense started out shaky, but they did seem to get back to being more aggressive in the second half.

They settled down and made the adjustments to keep us in the game. Didn't panic and it payed off. This is a great win for our team, going into Atlanta where they rarely lose, just shows the makeup of these guys.

BloodBrother
10-09-2011, 10:38 PM
wow the defense was looking like last years defense in that 2nd half. What a turnaround

big win. Packers played sloppy and were down 2 scores on the road vs a good team and came back to win. IMpressive win and finally the team had to overcome some adversity

very encouraging win.

TimmG6376
10-09-2011, 10:41 PM
wow the defense was looking like last years defense in that 2nd half. What a turnaround

big win. Packers played sloppy and were down 2 scores on the road vs a good team and came back to win. IMpressive win and finally the team had to overcome some adversity

very encouraging win.

I had the same feeling. I was thinking "this is the defense I remember".

Started to get some hits on Ryan and that really helped out the secondary.

BloodBrother
10-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Just need to get to that bye, get Neal back, get Bulaga back and hopefully get Clifton back

sounds like he pulled a hamstring which could be a 3-4 week issue

they got the winless Rams at home next week then go to Minny after that who are 1-4

no letdowns, go into the bye week at 7-0. LETS GO

jackalope
10-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Huge win. Really impressive performance by the defense to shut them down for over a half of football. Big day for Sherrod, holding his own when he needed to. Newhouse/Sherrod being able to fill in well made the difference. I would expect Bulaga to ready for next week. Shields also stepped up with some nice coverage.

mqtirishfan
10-09-2011, 11:23 PM
The young tackles played well after a settling down.

Anyone else think that down the road our "best five" might be:

Newhouse Bulaga Wells Sitton Sherrod

No, unless you have Sherrod at LG. I like Newhouse, but our best hope is for Sherrod to grow into the LT spot because Bulaga is fantastic at RT.

J-Mike88
10-09-2011, 11:30 PM
No, I agree with TimG.

Newhouse - Bulaga - Wells - Sitton - Sherrod

Newhouse looks like a potential stud LT.
Bulaga is a mauler and could be a devastating stud at LG!
Keep the brutha's as bookends.
TJ Lang the #1 backup.
Seeing him get torched for a quick sack up the middle tonight was concerning.

Jermichael Finley BETTER BE HUMBLED!
He dropped a TD, dropped a key 3rd down pass (hard hit), and he failed to come up with the 2-point conversion....... good time to give us some leverage, I'd like to extend him this week!

I can't believe our defense adjusted so well after the 0-14 hole. I still can't figure it out......

BloodBrother
10-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Lang has been very good at LG, you keep him there

it was nice to see Newhouse/Sherrod hold up well. I liked Newhouse in preseason, good to see him showing some improvement. Bulaga should be back soon and hopefully Cliffy can come back in a couple weeks.

bigboiajhawk
10-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Did anyone else love the acting job by the ATL lineman when Hawk got the 15 yard penalty?

I really love how it seems like every week someone and Greg Jennings end up having big games. It had been Jordy Nelson and Jermichael Finley, tonight it was James Jones. I mean how do you stop the Packers offense?

It seemed that tonight Double D didnt play that much, I wonder if that is going to be a trend as Cobb becomes more comfortable in the offense, or if McCarthy is being smart with him and letting him rest.

All I know is that the Packers better not overlook the next two weeks. The Packers should be 7-0 in two weeks time, but they can't get baited into playing down to a lesser opponent.

BloodBrother
10-10-2011, 01:26 AM
in years past, I'd worry about that...but not anymore

they didnt' play good today, but I fully expect them to bring their top game at home next week

CheeseKnuckles
10-10-2011, 05:05 AM
No, I agree with TimG.

Newhouse - Bulaga - Wells - Sitton - Sherrod

Newhouse looks like a potential stud LT.
Bulaga is a mauler and could be a devastating stud at LG!
Keep the brutha's as bookends.
TJ Lang the #1 backup.
Seeing him get torched for a quick sack up the middle tonight was concerning.

Jermichael Finley BETTER BE HUMBLED!
He dropped a TD, dropped a key 3rd down pass (hard hit), and he failed to come up with the 2-point conversion....... good time to give us some leverage, I'd like to extend him this week!

I can't believe our defense adjusted so well after the 0-14 hole. I still can't figure it out......

I am sitting here feeling the same way... The difference in the D once they switched to bump-n-run was night and day. I literally went to bed with a permasmile.

TimmG6376
10-10-2011, 09:26 AM
No, unless you have Sherrod at LG. I like Newhouse, but our best hope is for Sherrod to grow into the LT spot because Bulaga is fantastic at RT.

it was nice to see Newhouse/Sherrod hold up well. I liked Newhouse in preseason, good to see him showing some improvement. Bulaga should be back soon and hopefully Cliffy can come back in a couple weeks.

Wasn't meant as a slight to either Lang or Bulaga. Lang has played well. As has Bulaga at RT.

When I try to apply this "best five" concept the problem becomes that both Newhouse and Sherrod are strictly OTs. The only guy with the ability IMO to play both tackle and guard is Bulaga, therefore, the only way I can see getting all 5 on the field is by shifting Bulaga inside.

None of this will change this season obviously, but this coming offseason I could definitely see McCarthy giving this lineup a shot.

At the very least it appears Rodgers will have a reliable LT once Clifton retires.

ImBrotherCain
10-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Has there been any clarification on that penalty after the punt? That was Bull ****

TimmG6376
10-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Has there been any clarification on that penalty after the punt? That was Bull ****

Only thing I've seen is that it may have been on Slocum running out onto the field. Not sure why. I'm guessing he might have been yelling at the refs about the interference.

J-Mike88
10-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Only thing I've seen is that it may have been on Slocum running out onto the field. Not sure why. I'm guessing he might have been yelling at the refs about the interference.And that was still bullschit because TWO guys hit Cobb and one of them was not even touched by a Packer blocker. Terrible call.

And on those occasions, the teams typically have 20 guys on the field after the play as the change of possession requires that. Stupid zebras last night.

THIS FROM BJ RAJI.
I love the way his attitude is, but J-Mike last night rubbed me the wrong way.

"They have a long way to go," Raji said of being a Packers rival. "For it to be a rivalry, you have to win meaningful games. They're just another opponent. They have a long way to go.

"I wouldn't talk like this, but when people don't respect you, I don't take it lying down. Those people don't respect us, so in turn I'm not going to give them any respect."

"Now that we abused them, for the second time in a row, at their home, there's nothing really to do," Raji said. "If they want to play us again, tell them to come up to Lambeau. That's it. That's how we're doing it."

BloodBrother
10-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Yeah wow, Raji was really pissed at Atlanta after the game. He ripped them good

bit more quotes from him

“We adjusted better, we had better players, we had better coaches, so we played better,” said Raji, who didn’t sound like a man expecting a playoff rematch. “I think the (New Orleans) Saints are a better team. They have a better quarterback. The team’s a little bit better. This team is OK. Hopefully they get some things together and they’ll be all right.”

TimmG6376
10-10-2011, 01:05 PM
And on those occasions, the teams typically have 20 guys on the field after the play as the change of possession requires that. Stupid zebras last night.

That's why I think it had to have been on a coach. Like you said with change of possession there is normally a lot of player movement between field and sidelines. My only guess would be that rules state that a coach cannot come onto the field in that situation. I've seen coaches do it before in deadball situations so the refs probably ignore it in most cases. This leads me to believe that Slocum had some harsh words for one of the refs and thus drew attention to the fact that he had come onto the field.

TimmG6376
10-10-2011, 01:13 PM

bit more quotes from him

Both Raji and Pickett echoed that the Falcons o-linemen were doing a lot of pushing and shoving after the whistle in attempts to get personal fouls called when they reacted.

Sounds like some pretty desperate tactics. They also said they were prepared for it because they saw it on film.

The flop on the Hawk penalty was priceless.

cvv84
10-10-2011, 03:01 PM

I wouldn't say he's been very good, more like he's looked better because of Clifton and Wells. I do agree that we need to keep him there though and let him grow into the position. He's been getting better but I wouldn't call him the long term solution as of yet.

Also I always thought it was kind of funny how we're basically starting 4 offensive tackles on our offense. Sitton and Lang were collegiate OTs.

PackerLegend
10-10-2011, 03:16 PM

bit more quotes from him

Well Roddy White last year was jacking his jaw about how the Falcons were still the better team after getting their ass whipped in the playoffs. So I can see why he said what he did. Dont talk if you cant back it up.

TimmG6376
10-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers will not receive a seventh-round draft choice from the Tennessee Titans in their Sept. 3 conditional trade for fullback Quinn Johnson.

Tennessee acquired Johnson because fullback Ahmard Hall had to sit out the first four games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Johnson played in the Titans' first four games but was waived last week after Hall was reinstated.

An NFL source said Johnson would have had to play in five games in order for Green Bay to have received the seventh-round pick.

I thought he'd be a good fit there

PackerLegend
10-10-2011, 03:46 PM
I thought he'd be a good fit there

Not like we really needed that 7th anyways but with TT it would be nice. He might have been able to work his magic again with it.

TimmG6376
10-10-2011, 03:51 PM
“Atlanta was cheap-shotting, their offensive line was pushing after the whistle,” Pickett said. “They try to get in your head like that. We just said, ‘Man, we’re going to be physical between the whistles and just beat these boys.' That’s what we did.”

hroughout the game, the Packers were engaged in a pushing and shoving with Falcons players, especially on the defensive front.

Linebacker A.J. Hawk, a normally disciplined player, got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

According to Packers players, they were retaliating for what they said were cheap shots from the Falcons.

"It's unnecessary," Pickett said. "They call it playing physical. But it's after the whistle. It's not physical. We know it watching tape that you they like to hit after the whistle. You have to watch yourself around the piles.

"They point at you if you react. We just felt like if we just punch them upfront at the start it would end that. It's frustrating to a point, but we know we have to dominate them up front in between that stuff."

Hawk said that his reaction came when he got pushed in the back after the whistle. He said he turned around to confront the offender and "the guy went to the ground."

"I'm not that strong," Hawk said. "I wish I was strong enough to do that."

I'm starting to not like them much either.

jackalope
10-10-2011, 08:24 PM
I'd be really surprised if Bulaga's long term spot is not at tackle. Newhouse and Sherrod both have nice potential, but I don't see either developing into as good a tackle as Bulaga.

Sherrod-Lang-Wells-Sitton-Bulaga is probably the starting line next year and down the road.

CheeseKnuckles
10-10-2011, 09:25 PM
I happened to check out the Falcons forum over at scout.com, holy crap do those fans hate us. If your bored check it out... just plain **** talking going on over there.

J-Mike88
10-10-2011, 10:23 PM
I happened to check out the Falcons forum over at scout.com, holy crap do those fans hate us. If your bored check it out... just plain **** talking going on over there.
I wish I had time to go over there and join, and shove them a little sumthin.
What's the link to that thread?

TimmG6376
10-10-2011, 10:40 PM

They are so delusional over there. Apparently the only reason we've spanked them two games in a row is because the refs favor the Packers.

CheeseKnuckles
10-11-2011, 05:14 AM
Apparently if you live in Wisconsin your also obese.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=122&f=1699

TimmG6376
10-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Not sure it it has been mentioned but McCarthy said that they had already received two warnings prior to being flagged for the sideline violation.

ImBrotherCain
10-11-2011, 01:45 PM
I think i might go troll that forum

cvv84
10-11-2011, 03:15 PM
I'd be really surprised if Bulaga's long term spot is not at tackle. Newhouse and Sherrod both have nice potential, but I don't see either developing into as good a tackle as Bulaga.

Sherrod-Lang-Wells-Sitton-Bulaga is probably the starting line next year and down the road.

Yeah Bulaga has really taken t the RT position. Last season I was hoping that he'd work out as our future LT but with Sherrod and Newhouse looking like natural LT's I think we'd be foolish to move Bulaga. Sitton and Bulaga seal up the right side of our line, combined with Wells at center I think our only open position is LG. Which of course I believe Lang could be the future at if he keeps improving.

J-Mike88
10-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Newhouse looks like... potentially.... a possible LT fixture.
He has great bloodlines too.

Coaches liked him I knew that.... perhaps they sensed that, and that was part of the thinking that Sherrod could possibly be moved to LG. I still think Sherrod is a pure OT. More finesse.

BloodBrother
10-11-2011, 10:12 PM
I felt that this year was the deepest this OL has been at the Tackle position since TT and MM got here. Clifton/Bulaga/Newhouse/Sherrod

the only concern on the line is the depth on the interior of it. If Sitton/Lang/Wells go down it would be trouble

Bulaga should be back this week, so Newhouse will continue to be the LT and hell, he might end up being the LT all year from here on out. Hope he continues to improve as the year goes on

J-Mike88
10-12-2011, 05:53 AM
Good thing our most recent two first round picks were..... OTs.