PDA

View Full Version : Mark Barron, S, Alabama

bucfan12
10-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Can I get some evaluation/opinions on this guy? I hear a lot of talk in Bucs forums, since we need a Safety in the worst way, that he's a beast and excellent in run support and coverage.

Is he a sure-fire 1st round pick? I see mock drafts from several scouts and analysts and some have him in the later portion of round 1 and seen him in the early to mid 2nd round.

Opinions? Especially Scott Wright. Your's would be great.

Matthew Jones
10-05-2011, 12:26 AM
I'd go with mid second round. He's physical, a great hitter, and a strong wrap-up tackler when he wants to be. Good instincts and size. Good size and musculature. Well-coached. My concern would be his ability to line up in the slot and cover people man to man. Seems kind of stiff. Strong safety prospect.

CashmoneyDrew
10-05-2011, 12:31 AM
I could see him going anywhere from mid 2nd to late 5th. He's just all over the board.

I'm still wondering how he missed picking off Cam Newton on that play last year.

JHL6719
10-05-2011, 12:44 AM
I could see him going anywhere from mid 2nd to late 5th. He's just all over the board.

I'm still wondering how he missed picking off Cam Newton on that play last year.

He had just torn his pec muscle right before halftime and couldn't lift his arm. He tried to play with it in the 2nd half because he's the quarterback of the defense, but realized he couldn't continue after that play.

Saban had to insert a walk-on by the name of Will Lowery to take his place, which led to a series of blown coverages, and a comeback win by Auburn.

Very physical and an excellent tackler. Really brings the wood on ball carriers. Top notch instincts, toughness, and leadership qualities. Fantastic ball skills. You won't be recruited by Saban if you don't have 'em.

Barron is very athletic, but a little stiff in the hips and struggles to turn and run with receivers in man coverage. Most safeties are stiff in the hips though, otherwise they'd be cornerbacks.

I think he's a solid 2nd round prospect.

RaiderNation
10-05-2011, 12:45 AM
2nd round sounds right. Tj McDonald is the top SS in the draft IMO, he us worth a late 1st

BRAVEHEART
10-05-2011, 01:05 AM
2nd round sounds right. Tj McDonald is the top SS in the draft IMO, he us worth a late 1st

He needs to stay at USC one more year.

rawdawg
10-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I think Barron is a glorified LB. He's strictly a SS who can mix it up inside and hit some people in the run game. But I don't think he can cover anyone at the NFL level. Not going to stand a chance vs. slot WRs (not like many SS can). But also will not be able to stay with elite TEs, IMO. Doesn't have great range for zone coverage. Definitely not a 1st round pick. Probably a 2nd, but I wouldn't touch him until the 3rd.

SenorGato
10-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I think Barron is a glorified LB. He's strictly a SS who can mix it up inside and hit some people in the run game. But I don't think he can cover anyone at the NFL level. Not going to stand a chance vs. slot WRs (not like many SS can). But also will not be able to stay with elite TEs, IMO. Doesn't have great range for zone coverage. Definitely not a 1st round pick. Probably a 2nd, but I wouldn't touch him until the 3rd.

I read this about alot of safeties. I've been wondering which ones are actually good at that, and when they got to be good at that.

Barron's big, athletic, coachable, well coached, and hopefully healthy. I think he could go in the 2nd, but will go in the 4th (hopefully to Los Yets).

ellsy82
10-07-2011, 01:28 AM

Excellent analysis.

rawdawg
10-07-2011, 06:37 PM
I read this about alot of safeties. I've been wondering which ones are actually good at that, and when they got to be good at that.

Barron's big, athletic, coachable, well coached, and hopefully healthy. I think he could go in the 2nd, but will go in the 4th (hopefully to Los Yets).

Most of the guys that can stick with good TEs are usually the guys that were former CBs. But there are some true Safeties that can. Danieal Manning, Antrel Rolle, Michael Huff, Eric Weddle, Quentin Mikell, and Brodney Pool are pretty good in coverage, to name a few. Of course, the first 3 guys were all CBs in college.

A Perfect Score
10-07-2011, 07:58 PM
I think based on his play and if he tests really well, he's got a legitimate shot at the late first range, between 29-32, assuming he stays healthy and continues his current rate of play. I think he's a bit overrated in coverage, TBH, but he's got the potential to be a game changing safety at the next level. I'm not personally a huge fan, I liked Rahim Moore better last year, but I can see why there are those that do like him. There's alot to like.

Ozzy
10-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Hard call on Mark Barron, he is not Justin Woodall, a former big safety for Bama who went undrafted, played well but simply could not cover apparently. Barron is not a star in coverage but it is not something he cannot do I feel. Hard to say though....

I will post this again (from an older thread) awhile back with discussion on safeties, it is crazy how many productive safeties in college never even see the field in NFL or do not even get a chance to play in it.....

Deunta Williams- I assume it is an injury issue, but the kid was an absolute stud on UNC

Tejay Johnson- Good fast safety, do not believe he has a look as a free agent even.

DeAndre McDaniel- Undrafted, signed with Saints for a chance, crazy because year before he was lights out and is one of the more aggressive and consistent playmaking safeties in the country.

Justin Woodall- Few years ago, fine big safety for Bama, undrafted and never given a chance to play.

Taylor Mays- Still in the league but is not getting the time he should be getting, though some called him out even in college as a possible bust, still has a chance though.

Demetrice Morley- Legal issues kept him out probably, but still he could play and was very very talented.

Derek Pegues- Quick and fast safety, good return guy, made big plays, never given a chance as a free agent.

Michael Hamlin- Still around the league but is not playing much, was really elite and very good in college, not the same in the NFL.

Otis Wiley- Interception machine in his senior year, very productive, big kid, made plays, was undrafted and got a shot but not sure he is even around anymore.

Dominic Jones- Big time prospect, legal issues kept him out and being kicked off the team. Still a fast player and a great tackler, never made it.

Emanuel Cook- Still in the league but not doing so well, fine tackler in college but must have some character or work ethic issues.

Jamie Silva- Actually went undrafted, but has been kind of a productive pro but was odd he went undrafted.

Kelin Johnson- On rosters but does not play, was a very good safety with a lot of potential and size.

Jamar Adams- Bounces around, big kid but never really sticking on any roster.

Pig Brown- Good hitter, tough guy, undrafted I believe.

Eric Brock- Good player, undrafted but made a roster and is hanging around the league, not playing much.

Nehemiah Warrick- Good athlete, decent prospect, bounces around the league but no real playing time.

Tom Zibikowski- IS productive in the league some what, on the Ravens, but is not the star he showed in college.

Dajuan Morgan- Still in the league but has never broken out, close to the best safety in college at NC State but never has had that success in the league.

Reggie Smith- Really has not done much, still on the 49ers I believe, but never the star he was in college at all.

Simeon Castille- Great tackler on Alabama, good player, played with great effort, but bounces around the league and plays little.

Kevin Mitchell- Big time safety on Illinois, undrafted and never really got a shot I believe, surprise because he was a fine safety.

Brandon Everage- Good coverage guy, a lot of hype in college but undrafted I believe.

Ernest Shazor- Really big surprise, super prospect, huge kid, hit hard but went undrafted then bounced around the league for a really short time and done.

Jamaal Brimmer- Extremely productive in college, undrafted and never made the league despite showing a lot of talent.

Junior Rosegreen- Good athlete, tough, plays aggressive, never stuck around the league, I was surprised.

Jaxson Appel- Loved his tackling ability on A&M, was in the league for a little I feel but never got real playing time.

Matt Grootegoed- Star in college, never stuck on a roster or played much at all in the NFL.

Darnell Bing- Star safety prospect, huge kid, but was moved to linebacker I believe, never really stuck on a roster or played much real time.

Guss Scott- Good tackler, small but productive and never really stuck round the league that long.

Dakarai Pearson- Good athlete, good in deep coverage, never got a chance in the league for long I believe.

Greg Blue- Huge hitting, like big time hitter in college, but got drafted and on a roster but was soon let go and never stuck on anywhere else for long, was a surprise.

Dwayne Slay- Big kid, good hitter, undrafted and got signed later but did not stick around long.

Jamaal Fudge- Really liked him, he actually went undrafted but then got a shot on a team and did well but did not stick around for more than a few seasons.

Ko Simpson- Absolute star in college, really hyped up and a very good athlete, got on a roster and was drafted but never turned out at all.

Gary Berry- Super star on Ohio State, very good player and very productive, but never really played well in the league, was drafted but did not stick around long.

Robert Carswell- Barely got drafted, was a star on Clemson but did not stick around in the NFL long.

D-Unit
10-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Hard call on Mark Barron, he is not Justin Woodall, a former big safety for Bama who went undrafted, played well but simply could not cover apparently. Barron is not a star in coverage but it is not something he cannot do I feel. Hard to say though....

I will post this again (from an older thread) awhile back with discussion on safeties, it is crazy how many productive safeties in college never even see the field in NFL or do not even get a chance to play in it.....

Deunta Williams- I assume it is an injury issue, but the kid was an absolute stud on UNC

Tejay Johnson- Good fast safety, do not believe he has a look as a free agent even.

DeAndre McDaniel- Undrafted, signed with Saints for a chance, crazy because year before he was lights out and is one of the more aggressive and consistent playmaking safeties in the country.

Justin Woodall- Few years ago, fine big safety for Bama, undrafted and never given a chance to play.

Taylor Mays- Still in the league but is not getting the time he should be getting, though some called him out even in college as a possible bust, still has a chance though.

Demetrice Morley- Legal issues kept him out probably, but still he could play and was very very talented.

Derek Pegues- Quick and fast safety, good return guy, made big plays, never given a chance as a free agent.

Michael Hamlin- Still around the league but is not playing much, was really elite and very good in college, not the same in the NFL.

Otis Wiley- Interception machine in his senior year, very productive, big kid, made plays, was undrafted and got a shot but not sure he is even around anymore.

Dominic Jones- Big time prospect, legal issues kept him out and being kicked off the team. Still a fast player and a great tackler, never made it.

Emanuel Cook- Still in the league but not doing so well, fine tackler in college but must have some character or work ethic issues.

Jamie Silva- Actually went undrafted, but has been kind of a productive pro but was odd he went undrafted.

Kelin Johnson- On rosters but does not play, was a very good safety with a lot of potential and size.

Jamar Adams- Bounces around, big kid but never really sticking on any roster.

Pig Brown- Good hitter, tough guy, undrafted I believe.

Eric Brock- Good player, undrafted but made a roster and is hanging around the league, not playing much.

Nehemiah Warrick- Good athlete, decent prospect, bounces around the league but no real playing time.

Tom Zibikowski- IS productive in the league some what, on the Ravens, but is not the star he showed in college.

Dajuan Morgan- Still in the league but has never broken out, close to the best safety in college at NC State but never has had that success in the league.

Reggie Smith- Really has not done much, still on the 49ers I believe, but never the star he was in college at all.

Simeon Castille- Great tackler on Alabama, good player, played with great effort, but bounces around the league and plays little.

Kevin Mitchell- Big time safety on Illinois, undrafted and never really got a shot I believe, surprise because he was a fine safety.

Brandon Everage- Good coverage guy, a lot of hype in college but undrafted I believe.

Ernest Shazor- Really big surprise, super prospect, huge kid, hit hard but went undrafted then bounced around the league for a really short time and done.

Jamaal Brimmer- Extremely productive in college, undrafted and never made the league despite showing a lot of talent.

Junior Rosegreen- Good athlete, tough, plays aggressive, never stuck around the league, I was surprised.

Jaxson Appel- Loved his tackling ability on A&M, was in the league for a little I feel but never got real playing time.

Matt Grootegoed- Star in college, never stuck on a roster or played much at all in the NFL.

Darnell Bing- Star safety prospect, huge kid, but was moved to linebacker I believe, never really stuck on a roster or played much real time.

Guss Scott- Good tackler, small but productive and never really stuck round the league that long.

Dakarai Pearson- Good athlete, good in deep coverage, never got a chance in the league for long I believe.

Greg Blue- Huge hitting, like big time hitter in college, but got drafted and on a roster but was soon let go and never stuck on anywhere else for long, was a surprise.

Dwayne Slay- Big kid, good hitter, undrafted and got signed later but did not stick around long.

Jamaal Fudge- Really liked him, he actually went undrafted but then got a shot on a team and did well but did not stick around for more than a few seasons.

Ko Simpson- Absolute star in college, really hyped up and a very good athlete, got on a roster and was drafted but never turned out at all.

Gary Berry- Super star on Ohio State, very good player and very productive, but never really played well in the league, was drafted but did not stick around long.

Robert Carswell- Barely got drafted, was a star on Clemson but did not stick around in the NFL long.
FREAKIN' AWESOME post! Brought back some memories. Just goes to show how hard it is to project Safeties from college to pro.

...and why Dallas hasn't been able to replace Darren Woodson since he left.