PDA

View Full Version : October 5th Mock Draft!

Matthew Jones
10-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Just finished up a quick mock draft before school. Draft order is based on ESPN's power rankings with small adjustments made to the playoff pick order (ex. the Saints and Packers not playing each other in the Super Bowl.) I also moved Miami from #2 overall to #1 overall because a mock draft without Andrew Luck at the top felt so wrong. Let me know what you think!

1. Miami Dolphins - QB Andrew Luck, Stanford*

2. St. Louis Rams - WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma St.*

3. Minnesota Vikings - OT Matt Kalil, Southern California*

4. Indianapolis Colts - OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford*

5. Kansas City Chiefs - QB Matt Barkley, Southern California*

6. Denver Broncos - RB Trent Richardson, Alabama*

7. Jacksonville Jaguars - DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina

8. Seattle Seahawks - QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma*

9. Carolina Panthers - WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina*

10. Arizona Cardinals - OT Riley Reiff, Iowa*

11. Cleveland Browns - LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame*

12. Cincinnati Bengals - CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama*

13. Philadelphia Eagles - DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan St.*

14. Cleveland Browns (from Falcons) - WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame

15. Chicago Bears - OG David DeCastro, Stanford*

16. Dallas Cowboys - CB Morris Claiborne, Louisiana St.*

17. Oakland Raiders - LB Zach Brown, North Carolina

18. New York Jets - LB Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma*

19. Pittsburgh Steelers - DT Alameda Ta'amu, Washington

20. Washington Redskins - WR Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M

21. San Francisco 49ers - CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina*

22. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - OT Andrew Datko, Florida St.

23. Buffalo Bills - DT Jared Crick, Nebraska

24. Tennessee Titans - LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College*

25. New York Giants - DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson

26. San Diego Chargers - LB Courtney Upshaw, Alabama

27. Houston Texans - SS T.J. McDonald, Southern California*

28. Detroit Lions - CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska

29. Baltimore Ravens - LB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona St.*

30. New England Patriots (from Saints) - C Peter Konz, Wisconsin*

31. New England Patriots - DE Devin Taylor, South Carolina*

32. Green Bay Packers - DT Billy Winn, Boise St.

Also considered:

WR Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma

OT Matt Reynolds, Brigham Young

OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia

OG Kelechi Osemele, Iowa St.

DT Josh Chapman, Alabama

DE Brandon Jenkins, Florida St.*

DE Donte Paige-Moss, North Carolina*

LB Bruce Irvin, West Virginia

CB Chase Minnifield, Virginia

FS Robert Lester, Alabama*

DiG
10-05-2011, 08:51 AM
sorry but i really dont like the fuller pick. he is really poor at making plays after the catch, he doesn't make a good fit in our offense, he has dropped off a good bit imo from his junior year, and he just doesnt give off a passionate vibe to be a reliable playmaker. interior OL or inside LB make more sense.

indyfan1985
10-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Give the Colts either QB Matt Barkley, or a trade down to acquire an extra 1st round pick next year.

vidae
10-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Great KC pick.

A Perfect Score
10-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Burfict is quite literally the perfect Ravens pick.

Robcards
10-05-2011, 10:56 AM
No no no no, just no. Ronnell Lewis is a 4-3 OLB what would the Jets do with him? And besides that, Thomas and Pace aren't in their contract year so why would we waste pick 18 on a position the person won't even start? AND, the Jets are 2-2 and probably 2-3 after this weekend, but still going to go 11-5 and make the playoffs, I'm sorry but a team doesn't make it to the AFC championship game 2 years in a row and then misses the playoffs without critical injuries (of which we had plenty last year and still did it) or critical players leaving (none). The pick is in the 20s and is Jerel Worthy or Alameda Ta'amu.

Also I really don't see how the Panthers draft WR and not the Vikings.

Should really look at the defensive scheme before selecting players, I suppose Taylor could move to OLB for the Pats but that's not really something they do, the Jets and Ravens typically draft 4-3 DEs and move them to OLB but not the Pats. Worthy will probably put on 10-20 lbs by NFL day he is projected to be a 3-4 DT and wouldn't really fit the Eagles, Eagles would probably take Brandon Thompson over Worthy (he's rated higher now too btw). Giants probably won't draft d-line, although they typically prioritize d-line I think they really need to improve their linebackers with their 1st pick.

Picks I like:
Zach Brown to Oakland, they draft speed and Zach Brown is faster than most of the WRs in this draft, can definitely see that, don't think he'd slip that far though.
Justin Blackmon to STL, I like that you actually have Blackmon ahead of Jeffery, it's going to be down to the wire as to who goes 1st and 2nd between those 2, but I think Blackmon edges Jeffery out.
Ta'amu to the Steelers, he is definitely a NT that would fit the Steelers scheme, and the spot in the draft seems right.
Upshaw to the Chargers, perfect OLB for their scheme
Winn to the Packers, their run d is their weakness and Winn is a good run stopping DE for their 3-4

RaiderNation
10-05-2011, 11:01 AM
I support the Brown pick. Also wouldn't rule out a CB or DT depending on how we feel about DVD and Chekwa's progress

marshallb
10-05-2011, 11:19 AM
No no no no, just no. Ronnell Lewis is a 4-3 OLB what would the Jets do with him? And besides that, Thomas and Pace aren't in their contract year so why would we waste pick 18 on a position the person won't even start? AND, the Jets are 2-2 and probably 2-3 after this weekend, but still going to go 11-5 and make the playoffs, I'm sorry but a team doesn't make it to the AFC championship game 2 years in a row and then misses the playoffs without critical injuries (of which we had plenty last year and still did it) or critical players leaving (none). The pick is in the 20s and is Jerel Worthy or Alameda Ta'amu.

Also I really don't see how the Panthers draft WR and not the Vikings.

Have you watched the Vikings play? If you had, you'd know that the Vikings OL is among the worst in the league and we are starting Charlie ******* Johnson at LT; we desperately need a LT. Yes, we need a WR also, but LT is such a huge need that there is no way that they could pass on a franchise LT who is being considered by many to be one of the best LT prospects of the last decade.

Robcards
10-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Have you watched the Vikings play? If you had, you'd know that the Vikings OL is among the worst in the league and we are starting Charlie ******* Johnson at LT; we desperately need a LT. Yes, we need a WR also, but LT is such a huge need that there is no way that they could pass on a franchise LT who is being considered by many to be one of the best LT prospects of the last decade.

Fair enough, was more commenting on the Panthers are certainly not going to draft WR though. You don't throw for 400+ yards a game because your rookie QB is that amazing, their receivers have been solid.

TimmG6376
10-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Fair enough, was more commenting on the Panthers are certainly not going to draft WR though. You don't throw for 400+ yards a game because your rookie QB is that amazing, their receivers have been solid.

Steve Smith has been amazing but he is 32 and has had injury issues in the past.

tjsunstein
10-05-2011, 12:14 PM
I'd take a chance on Donte Paige-Moss before I'd go Winn.

DI
10-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Burfict for the Giants. Goff is iffy at best and he'd be coming off a Torn ACL and I'm not sure how much faith they have in Greg Jones.

Robcards
10-05-2011, 12:21 PM

And play him where? Packers run a standard 3-4 he isn't big enough to play DE for them, OLB?

MidwestJimmy
10-05-2011, 12:32 PM
You know the lockout is over and there's a football season going on, right?

hawkeye123
10-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Love the niner pick

Babylon
10-05-2011, 12:59 PM
OK with Landry Jones to Seattle.

The recent debate seems to be if the Rams were to pick that high what direction do they go. Assuming they win a game or two in the cupcake division then it comes down to a LT or a WR for me. Matt Kalil in this scenario makes a lot more sense than Justin Blackmon, a much higher graded player. Get the WR at the top of the second round.

Robcards
10-05-2011, 01:09 PM

The recent debate seems to be if the Rams were to pick that high what direction do they go. Assuming they win a game or two in the cupcake division then it comes down to a LT or a WR for me. Matt Kalil in this scenario makes a lot more sense than Justin Blackmon, a much higher graded player. Get the WR at the top of the second round.

Could make the same argument the other way... Datko, Osemele, or Adcock will be there for them in the 2nd round so might as well take the best skill position player and go OT 2nd

Splat
10-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I could live with that.

K Train
10-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Ta'amu is such a reach at 19....give me taze, dennard, chase, reynolds, glenn, brewster over him EASILY

and brewster doenst even make the considered list?

Pat Sims 90
10-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Would rather have Claiborne but the postion is right.

tjsunstein
10-05-2011, 02:28 PM
And play him where? Packers run a standard 3-4 he isn't big enough to play DE for them, OLB?
Precisely, at 6'4 260 he has the size and athleticism to make the transition. Could be a steal at 32. Not my first choice in terms of prospects for GB but a value pick that also hits on a need such as DPM could be justified.

Matthew Jones
10-05-2011, 05:31 PM

I'm not sure he really projects to a 3-4 that well, whereas I think Winn projects pretty readily into a 3-4.

Matthew Jones
10-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Burfict for the Giants. Goff is iffy at best and he'd be coming off a Torn ACL and I'm not sure how much faith they have in Greg Jones.

Not sure I could see the Giants taking a linebacker when there is a quality defensive lineman left.

Matthew Jones
10-05-2011, 05:33 PM

I'd take the receiver there, last year Rodger Saffold was getting a lot of hype as the future at LT, whereas they already know they don't have the answer at WR.

Matthew Jones
10-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Ta'amu is such a reach at 19....give me taze, dennard, chase, reynolds, glenn, brewster over him EASILY

and brewster doenst even make the considered list?

Mike Brewster is extremely overrated in my opinion. I guess it's possible he could sniff the first but if I made a big board I'd probably rank him in the 50s or so. I could maybe see the Steelers going with Minnifield or Glenn, but Casey Hampton needs to be replaced ASAP and nose tackles are hard to find.

shylo3716
10-05-2011, 06:19 PM
13. Philadelphia Eagles - DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan St.*

It's not our defensive front, it's our 2nd level, we need a legitimate LB to move Matthews over to OLB where he belongs.

OSUGiants17
10-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Give us Burfict, we have Canty, Joseph(stepped up big his first year starting), Austin and Bernard. DT is not a 1st round need, LB is and Burfict would also be better value there and Reese loves to draft high value

Robcards
10-05-2011, 08:01 PM
It's not our defensive front, it's our 2nd level, we need a legitimate LB to move Matthews over to OLB where he belongs.

Worthy is more of a 3-4 DT anyway even if the Eagles drafted a DT, Thompson from Clemson would make more sense.

shylo3716
10-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Worthy is more of a 3-4 DT anyway even if the Eagles drafted a DT, Thompson from Clemson would make more sense.

We would not even go that route, hell I must ask everyone who mocks us a DT, are you smarter than a 3rd grader, because I know 1 of those little genious kids can see we go LB.