PDA

View Full Version : Wes Welker or Calvin Johnson's record paces: Which is more impressive?

J-Mike88
10-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Megatron has scored 2 touchdowns in every single game so far, 4 straight games. We've never seen that before outta the gate.
Cris Carter has had a streak where he had 4 straight games with 2 TDs though, as just heard on NFL Live.
But scoring 14 points every week to start the season, that's amazing, and without it, they're 2-2 at best, probably 1-3.

Wesley Welker has 40 catches in 4 games, for over 600 yards, or 154 yards per game. He also has 5 touchdowns.

Here are the receiving stats. Another thing that amazes me is that Vincent Jackson has 20 catches this season thru 4 games (on pace for 80). Every single catch he's had has been for a 1st down.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&conference=null&season=2011&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Anyway, WHICH GUY/WHICH ACCOMPLISHMENT so far, IS MORE IMPRESSIVE IN YOUR OPINION?

Splat
10-05-2011, 03:32 PM
I love me some Wes Welker and hate when people just label him a "system" player and even if he is he has mastered that system.

That said I'm going CJ.

Razor
10-05-2011, 03:35 PM
I went with "too close to call", but if you ask me who I'd rather have on my team it's CJ.

LonghornsLegend
10-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Alot of what Wes Welker does relies on Tom Brady, and the offense. Put it like this: If I was starting an offense, took Welker early, and didn't have a QB, offensive line, or anything else around him, his numbers would look ordinary. He was a good player his first 4 years, but look at his numbers once he got Tom Brady throwing the ball around.

With Calvin, I think he could be doing this with Drew Stanton, and no help what so ever. I don't think there is much I can attribute this to situation, where as with Welker alot of it is.

Not to say he's not a great player, but the circumstances have to be right for him to produce at this rate.

Raiderz4Life
10-05-2011, 03:38 PM
I think you should have taken out the 3rd option. Feels like too much of a cop out.

I'm going CJ because he gives me a massive stiffie and makes me shake my head in disgust over what could have been.

Splat
10-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Alot of what Wes Welker does relies on Tom Brady, and the offense. Put it like this: If I was starting an offense, took Welker early, and didn't have a QB, offensive line, or anything else around him, his numbers would look ordinary. He was a good player his first 4 years, but look at his numbers once he got Tom Brady throwing the ball around.

You can say that about alot of WR's.

Saints-Tigers
10-05-2011, 03:41 PM
^^ Yes you can, that's why only a few receivers are deemed as elite.

CC.SD
10-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Welker because he's white. Kidding, kidding.

ShutDwn
10-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Welker has been at 10ypc basically his entire time in NE and now he is at 15 which is a huge jump. Even without that 99 yarder he had his average jumps to 13.3 so my guess is he is getting more yards after the catch than before.

I'd go with Johnson though, he seems unstoppable in the endzone.

Both guys remind me of playing madden where you find some advantage/glitch in a player and you use the **** out of it.

J-Mike88
10-05-2011, 03:48 PM
I went with "too close to call", but if you ask me who I'd rather have on my team it's CJ.
Obviously. Calvin was the best WR prospect ever, the easy #1 pick that year*
Welker was undrafted, and traded away by division rival Miami, who also said no thanks to Drew Brees and instead turned their franchise over to Daunte Culpepper. No wonder why we have no Miami fans here. But that's a whole different can-o-worms.

V.I.P
10-05-2011, 03:50 PM
There's an ad at the top of the site telling me to "rent Transformers now!".

So i'm gonna vote for Calvin Johnson

yo123
10-05-2011, 03:50 PM
If the question is who do I think is better it would be CJ pretty easily, but it's who has been more impressive so far. And Welker is on pace for 2400 ******* yards receiving. Gimme Welker.

Shane P. Hallam
10-05-2011, 03:54 PM
If the question is who do I think is better it would be CJ pretty easily, but it's who has been more impressive so far. And Welker is on pace for 2400 ******* yards receiving. Gimme Welker.

Agree with this statement.

ShutDwn
10-05-2011, 03:56 PM

But if Calvin stays on pace he reaches 32 touchdowns, thats more than most QBs throw in a season. Obviously, a season like that would be the most dominant ever.

Shane P. Hallam
10-05-2011, 04:00 PM
But if Calvin stays on pace he reaches 32 touchdowns, thats more than most QBs throw in a season. Obviously, a season like that would be the most dominant ever.

And Welker's pace wouldn't? lol.

CC.SD
10-05-2011, 04:05 PM

Yeah how come CJ's pace magically keeps up and Welker's does not? This example is crazymaking

NotMyJob
10-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Both of them would be more impressive a few years back.

ShutDwn
10-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Yeah how come CJ's pace magically keeps up and Welker's does not? This example is crazymaking

I never said it wouldn't keep pace.

Touchdowns>yards

Calvin is also coming down with the ball regardless if there is one defender or three.

BRAVEHEART
10-05-2011, 04:10 PM
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1905811/505667422_extra_large.jpg

CC.SD
10-05-2011, 04:12 PM
2400 yards on 160 catches with 20 touchdowns is nothing to sneeeeeze at, and those are definitely the numbers Welker will finish with this year.

I would take it over Calvin's pathetic 1200 yards and 32 touchdowns

Raiderz4Life
10-05-2011, 04:20 PM
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n551/wrestlerj91/calvin_johnson_detroit_lions-160.png

BRAVEHEART
10-05-2011, 04:29 PM
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n551/wrestlerj91/calvin_johnson_detroit_lions-160.png

That is not authentic Megatron.

BigBlueNorwegian
10-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Went with Welker. Both are obviously amazing record-setting paces, but I just feel that if the premise is that both of them keep this pace until the end of the season, then i would view Welkers season as more impressive.

160 catches, 2464 yds and 20 tds > 96 catches, 1284 yds and 32 tds
IMO

Ghost of Juice
10-05-2011, 04:33 PM
I've seen most of Welker's catches this year and I don't know if it's the playcalling, Brady, Welker's ridiculous route running ability or defenses just loosing track of him but for alot of his catches this year he has been wide open. Welker and CJ have both been amazing but I had to give the edge to CJ because even when he has been double or triple teamed he has come down with the ball. Plus imo touchdowns are more valuable than yards. Just imagine if they were on the same team.

niel89
10-05-2011, 04:36 PM
I see Welker kinda like DeSean Jackson in a way. They both only really do a couple of things, but they do it at the highest level in the league possibly. Welker may only work the short game really, but no one does it better than he does; and Jackson may only be a deep threat to some people but he still keeps reeling in those bombs. If they are just doing one thing then it should be easy to take away, but they are just good at what they do.

General Zod
10-05-2011, 04:52 PM
No one should be in awe of Wes Welker. Its the Patriot way. Its only amazing because you dont understand it.

*queue Tedy Bruschi re-tard rant*

FUNBUNCHER
10-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Welker because he's little and kinda slow. And he's coming off a serious injury from a couple years ago.

If Welker gets within 200 yards of a 2000 yard season, I might have to buy his jersey.

Rosebud
10-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Welker's just being silly. CJ's TD prowess is ridiculous itself, but what Welker's accomplishing at his size is just further proof that the NFL is fixed.

Complex
10-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Johnson because teams try to take him away and he is the #1 option. Wes is like #3 after Gronk whose the greatest TE ever(sarcasm) but he is according to some patriot fans and Hernandez. Wes would never put up these numbers anywhere else but NE and plays nickel corners half the time.

tjsunstein
10-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Give me Welker's stats if you're asking for the more impressive of the two at the end of the year if this holds up.

But, I would rather watch the way Calvin does it.

J-Mike88
10-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Exactly Hallam.

http://druls.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/f99a6_funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

That pace is 160 catches. RECORD.
2464 yards. RECORD.
20 TDs. Not quite record, but I think 2nd best ever. Andre Johnson has one season with more than 8 TD catches.

WILL REVIS ISLAND be on WELKER ALL GAME NOW? I don't think Revis is man enough to cover him the whole game. (oooooh).
But I wanna see it.

Jvig43
10-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Gronk and Hernandez are the best TE's ever soooooooooooo

Splat
10-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Gronk and Hernandez are the best TE's ever soooooooooooo

It's just a shame Cam isn't their QB.

Jvig43
10-05-2011, 05:36 PM
It's just a shame Cam isn't their QB.

Well I mean Olsen/Shockey > Gronk/Hernandez haha.

But seriously I don't think Ive ever seen a Pats make that statement here, were pretty rational with the whole "not judging players the second they do something impressive".

Also if you don't think Welker is our number one receiver at this point with the amount of catches and yards over everyone else on this team you don't have the slightest clue of what youre talking about.

DanZilla
10-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Gotta go with welker on this one. The little guy runs routes so dam well. Besides, he's gotten someone fired and CJ hasn't lol

Bengalsrocket
10-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Nickel corners and "master of the short yards"? Do people even watch the Patriots this year?

Welker has lined up against good corners and ran deep routes in every single game. He's not just some glorified halfback running underneath linebackers and falling over after he catches the ball.

No, he isn't as physically gifted as Calvin Johnson. But yes, he's still the patriots main target, draws just as much attention as every other team's #1 should and still runs every type of route possible in that New England offense.

descendency
10-05-2011, 06:19 PM
edit: If Welker stays on his current pace, he will be at Rice's record (approximately) by game #12. The next 4 games will be where he can distance himself from Jerry Rice.

Welker is uncoverable.

I'm a huge homer, but I think a lot of people are voting purely based on 32 TDs vs 2400 yards (and obviously you'd rather have the scores) and not realizing Welker does score the ball and CJ does get yardage. Also, Welker's numbers are being put up in an offense that basically has no one else in it (Gronkowski and Hernandez are good, but no one else comes near showing up on a weekly basis). Brady to Welker basically is the Patriots offense this year. You know where the ball is going and you can't stop it.

And In 2008 when Brady tore his ACL, Welker put as just as many yards (10 shy actually) as 2007 (when the Patriots basically embarrassed the NFL). That was with Matt Cassell.

I think Welker is just in the right scheme now. Think how much difference it made for Nnamdi Asomugha this year.

I can't say one is better than the other. I think it's a lot closer than people think.

Not only that, but Welker is on pace to smash the reception mark (148) with 160. At this moment, I'd seriously consider voting for Welker for MVP over Brady and I think that should say something.

CC.SD
10-05-2011, 07:40 PM
And In 2008 when Brady tore his ACL, Welker put as just as many yards (10 shy actually) as 2007 (when the Patriots basically embarrassed themselves). That was with Matt Cassell.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RRRpZE314eQ/TkycUFS24II/AAAAAAAAPrM/z1b0peDvG6Q/s1600/troll+face.jpg

SuperMcGee
10-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Nickel corners and "master of the short yards"? Do people even watch the Patriots this year?

Welker has lined up against good corners and ran deep routes in every single game. He's not just some glorified halfback running underneath linebackers and falling over after he catches the ball.

No, he isn't as physically gifted as Calvin Johnson. But yes, he's still the patriots main target, draws just as much attention as every other team's #1 should and still runs every type of route possible in that New England offense.

Welker had Aaron Williams, a rookie pushed into a nickelback job due to injury on him for an entire half in the Bills game. That was until Williams decided he would rather break his collarbone than take any more of that abuse. Then it was Reggie Corner, who was cut before the season started, and some Drayton Florence. That's not to say I was in any way unimpressed by him, that day. Welker had an amazing game and got deep on us a couple times. He is fantastic with routes, hard to play off of the line, and dangerous after the catch. But a lot of his 16/200 line was due to ridiculous amounts of time for Brady to work with and attention unequal to that seen by most #1 targets.

I still voted for him in this poll. He is doing filthy things this year. It's just made easier when playing against defensive geniuses like George Edwards.

TitanHope
10-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Steve Smith is on pace for 2,120 with a rookie QB. I think people would look back and say, "Well, that was a product of the offensive leniency of the rules," (along with all the other accusations that Welker faces like playing with a HoF QB/system player/not facing opposing team's #1 CB's every down) since passing offenses around the league are errupting. 32 TD's may be sturdier historically, even if Megatron's playing in an era when he has an advantage.

J-Mike88
10-05-2011, 10:10 PM
If Megatron has NO more TD catches this season, I believe that would still tie his brother Andre Johnson's career high.... isn't Andre's best TD season only 8?
Or maybe he beat it one time.
That's impressive as hell.

I still voted for the little guy who somehow gets 10 catches every game, and 150 yards.

tjsunstein
10-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Steve Smith is on pace for 2,120 with a rookie QB. I think people would look back and say, "Well, that was a product of the offensive leniency of the rules," (along with all the other accusations that Welker faces like playing with a HoF QB/system player/not facing opposing team's #1 CB's every down) since passing offenses around the league are errupting. 32 TD's may be sturdier historically, even if Megatron's playing in an era when he has an advantage.
Calvin would have an advantage in any era, he's just that good. Welker, I'm not sure, but I'm a sucker for stats and what Wes is on pace for is really impressive. But the way Calvin gets his TDs, not very easy catches, sometimes doubled up is more impressive to watch.

Caulibflower
10-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Calvin's individual plays are impressive, Welker's production is impressive. Welker is impressive because he makes so many plays, Johnson because so many of his catches are touchdowns. They're on pace for totally different kinds of records.

Notredameleo
10-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Lets have this conversation at the end of the season. There is no way that either of these paces keep up, but its a lot more likely that Calvins would, than welkers.

Caulibflower
10-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Lets have this conversation at the end of the season. There is no way that either of these paces keep up, but its a lot more likely that Calvins would, than welkers.

That being said, you're implying Welker's is more impressive, right? Because that's my feeling.

wogitalia
10-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Welker had Aaron Williams, a rookie pushed into a nickelback job due to injury on him for an entire half in the Bills game. That was until Williams decided he would rather break his collarbone than take any more of that abuse. Then it was Reggie Corner, who was cut before the season started, and some Drayton Florence. That's not to say I was in any way unimpressed by him, that day. Welker had an amazing game and got deep on us a couple times. He is fantastic with routes, hard to play off of the line, and dangerous after the catch. But a lot of his 16/200 line was due to ridiculous amounts of time for Brady to work with and attention unequal to that seen by most #1 targets.

If you want to diminish achievements for schedule then I just have to say that the Lions have played the Vikings, you know the worst secondary in the league. Just saying...

I think both are having amazing seasons. Welker just defies description, he doesn't pass the eye ball test even yet he is dominating, Welker just makes me sadder at how ineffectual Harvin is for us, Harvin is bigger, stronger, faster, more agile, quicker and just superior to Welker in absolutely every physical manner and yet he isn't even half the player, it disgusts me.

Johnson on the other hand is just a freak, he is to the rest of the league what Harvin is to Welker athletically only he can actually play to boot, guy is just a plain monster.

I think both efforts are on a comparable level but Welker is scoring at a closer rate to Calvin than Calvin is on the other stats to Welker so Welker gets my vote.

Also agree with whoever said, more impressive is Welker, better player is Calvin.

Will throw it out there though, Cris Carter, well done on motivating two receivers to dominate your soul and missing on the top 2 so far!

J-Mike88
10-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Lets have this conversation at the end of the season. There is no way that either of these paces keep up, but its a lot more likely that Calvin's would, than welkers.
That's why we have to have it now, because they are still on pace now. Both with amazing paces.

Results are close.... who has not voted yet? Look at their stats.... which is more amazing thru 1/4th of the season?

FUNBUNCHER
10-06-2011, 06:13 AM
I think a ton of passing records are going to be threatened this year.

It's going to be the Mexico City season of offensive NFL stats.

MetSox17
10-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Just wait till a LB clocks Welker in the noodle while he's running a drag route and his "pace" will be over and done with. Give me Megatron, who's freakin unstoppable in the red zone this season. I'd much rather take a guy that is scoring multiple touchdowns every game than someone that puts up yards when he's targeted 17 times a game.

Jvig43
10-06-2011, 04:00 PM
I think a ton of passing records are going to be threatened this year.

It's going to be the Mexico City season of offensive NFL stats.

This.

Cam Newton will break all of them.

Don Vito
10-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Wes Pedroia easily

shabazz916
10-06-2011, 04:29 PM
CJ will keep up his stats more then welker.. bcuz New England Slows down when it gets cold and the weather gets ugly

J-Mike88
10-06-2011, 09:20 PM
CJ will keep up his stats more then welker.. bcuz New England Slows down when it gets cold and the weather gets ugly
Pat fans, wasn't there a game a year or two ago against Tennessee, in the snow, where I think New England scored like 50 points?

Sometimes the slipper weather favors the offense. If they offenses are good.
That being said, cold and wind certainly don't help an offense click smoothly.

Jvig43
10-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Pat fans, wasn't there a game a year or two ago against Tennessee, in the snow, where I think New England scored like 50 points?

We also killed the bears in the snow last year as well. People seem to just keep saying **** about our offense in this thread without having any clue as to what they are talking about.

descendency
10-06-2011, 10:09 PM

And then you have games like the one against Buffalo in 08 where it was literally impossible to throw the ball going in one direction.

cmarq83
10-07-2011, 06:48 AM

Yeah snow and slippery conditions within itself doesn't really stop the Pats from passing. Instead they pass more because there is no traction for offensive lineman to get a good drive off of the the ball. BB said in his documentary before that Titans game that is was a good day for passing the football. Wind is really the X factor in terms of preventing the passing offense.

Just wait till a LB clocks Welker in the noodle while he's running a drag route and his "pace" will be over and done with. Give me Megatron, who's freakin unstoppable in the red zone this season. I'd much rather take a guy that is scoring multiple touchdowns every game than someone that puts up yards when he's targeted 17 times a game.

What you just said happens to Welker with frightening regularity, but you know what? Welker has been healthy way more consistently than CJ thus far in in his career. If we go by injury history CJ's pace is far more likely to be ruined by injuies.

K Train
10-07-2011, 09:04 AM
calvin johnson haunts my dreams, im always afraid im going to be woken up and burned for a TD

monson
10-07-2011, 04:18 PM
I would trade all the WRs on the pats for Johnson. But.... Welker's numbers are more amazing.

Question... Who is the tallest NFL player and who who has the highest vertical leap? Could a team carry a manute Bol type guy who catches TDs? I Know Johnson is a great athlete aside from his leaping abilities. But why not have a tall leaper for the endzone?

tuan33
10-07-2011, 04:31 PM
I would trade all the WRs on the pats for Johnson. But.... Welker's numbers are more amazing.

Question... Who is the tallest NFL player and who who has the highest vertical leap? Could a team carry a manute Bol type guy who catches TDs? I Know Johnson is a great athlete aside from his leaping abilities. But why not have a tall leaper for the endzone?

A lot of it is timing and positioning/boxing the Cornerback out. Also being too tall could be detrimental to your health because you have more area for a defender to hit you. If Manute Bol played football, a well timed hit to his legs could end his career.

nepg
10-07-2011, 04:34 PM

The Pats are amazing in the snow. Yeah, they steam rolled the Titans. They also just pounded the **** out of Arizona during a blizzard during the Cassel Administration.

MetSox17
10-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Megatron has a 45" vertical and he's 6'5, 235lbs. He's probably the closest thing to Lebron James playing football.

BamaFalcon59
10-08-2011, 02:48 AM
Exactly.

Which, relating to the LeBron thread, is why I think it's ridiculous to think LBJ couldn't dominate the NFL. That's assuming he can make it mentally. But LBJ would destroy secondaries as a 6'7"/6'8" 255 pound receiver.

And yes, he couild be 280 and a mega-athletic tight end, but that's a waste and LBJ isn't going to block. He's going to snag. Stupid.

FUNBUNCHER
10-08-2011, 03:42 AM
What's the TE's name who plays for the Saints??
He's 6'8 and when the ball is thrown high he's almost unstoppable.

JImmy Graham.

Already has over 20 catches, over 350+ yards receiving and 3 TDs in four games.

Only problem being a really tall TE/WR is that shorter DBs are gonna eventually take your knees out, on purpose.

Lebron was all-state in Ohio playing football. If he really had his heart in it, I think he could earn a paycheck in the NFL.

tjsunstein
10-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Brady has targeted Welker 57 times this year, 40% of his pass attempts. I don't care where he lines up, Welker is the number one target by far.

the new jesus
10-09-2011, 01:52 PM

See the failed experiment of Clarence Moore.

http://www.nfl.com/player/clarencemoore/2506019/profile

Caulibflower
10-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Welker is just ridiculous right now.

J-Mike88
10-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Welker is just ridiculous right now.
Why is Wes Welker still returning punts?
Is he not important enough to save him from that?
I think he takes enough hits, but I guess that's just the Patriot way?

yo123
10-09-2011, 05:42 PM
From what I've seen Welker has always been great at avoiding big hits.

ElectricEye
10-09-2011, 05:43 PM

Very rarely does someone get good contact on him. One of the main reasons he's as good as he is. Durability has never been a concern with Welker aside from that freaky knee thing.

niel89
10-09-2011, 05:55 PM
See the failed experiment of Clarence Moore.

http://www.nfl.com/player/clarencemoore/2506019/profile

Hey now, Clarence Moore is gonna make a comeback any day now. I love that man. I still occasionally rock my CM sig:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/niel89/cmoorekd3.jpg

J-Mike88
10-09-2011, 05:57 PM
So Pats nation here, and there are a lot of you, would you keep Welker returning punts if you were in charge?

We hated seeing Woodson and then Tramon returning punts because we knew how important they were to the defense, and with injuries always looming, that would be a double loss if the guy got hurt on a PR.

BigBanger
10-09-2011, 08:25 PM

nyNy-TkDGB0
It was the first thing I thought of when I seen that. You need to mute it, but there is nothing I can do about the quality.

Oh, the NFL defended Ryan Clark on that hit and said that it was CLEAN, which it certainly is. How far we've fallen in just three short seasons. So sad.

Why is Wes Welker still returning punts?
Is he not important enough to save him from that?
I think he takes enough hits, but I guess that's just the Patriot way?
Guess Bill hasn't learned his lesson when Woodhead got blindsided in the 4th QT of a meaningless preseason game, which resulted in a concussion. Arrogant prick. I will have no pity for greatest skill position white in the NFL.

LonghornsLegend
10-09-2011, 09:25 PM
So Pats nation here, and there are a lot of you, would you keep Welker returning punts if you were in charge?

We hated seeing Woodson and then Tramon returning punts because we knew how important they were to the defense, and with injuries always looming, that would be a double loss if the guy got hurt on a PR.

I always think it's interesting how this is more of an issue during this time but while Deion was the best player at his position and very highly paid, no one ever thought to take him off of returns to keep him healthy at CB.

I'd always prefer to draft a return man if it were my team. You can find a really good guy for that in the middle of the draft.

wogitalia
10-09-2011, 10:50 PM
I always think it's interesting how this is more of an issue during this time but while Deion was the best player at his position and very highly paid, no one ever thought to take him off of returns to keep him healthy at CB.

Do returners really get hurt that often anyway? Most of the injuries on special teams are to the other guys from what I've seen and really if you have a weapon on special teams you should use it imo. I mean a guy like Hester player a massive role in getting the Bears to a Superbowl if he had also been a gun CB or WR surely you would use him in that role as well.

Really injuries happen and I guess it comes down to whether you are conservative or aggressive in what way you fall on that idea. Personally I'd rather have my best returner out there for the chance of a big play than have a lesser returner to try and avoid injuries.

yo123
10-10-2011, 01:49 AM
If the guy is good enough at it then I would absolutely put one of my better players back there for kick returns. Field position is vastly underrated.

MetSox17
10-10-2011, 03:33 AM
Dez Bryant is a good player. Dez Bryant is good at returning punts. I would not have Dez Bryant return punts though.

Honestly, it just comes down to the kind of guy you have. Dez gets nicked up often, so i'd just sacrifice the 5-10 extra yards he could have gotten over someone else, and save him for offense only

J-Mike88
10-10-2011, 09:39 AM
If the guy is good enough at it then I would absolutely put one of my better players back there for kick returns. Field position is vastly underrated.
OK think hard on this one.... Adrian Peterson is your best player.
If you needed a win to make the playoffs, final game, and a team was punting to you late in the game with you down 6 points, would you want Peterson back there returning the punt with the season on the line?

LonghornsLegend
10-10-2011, 10:10 AM
OK think hard on this one.... Adrian Peterson is your best player.
If you needed a win to make the playoffs, final game, and a team was punting to you late in the game with you down 6 points, would you want Peterson back there returning the punt with the season on the line?

Ummm yes? In the situation you just described the season is on the line, if he's your best return guy why the hell wouldn't you? I know it's a hypothetical situation but still. Were talking everyday use. Not 1 team is gonna shy away from using their best player on a return if the season is on the line.

What would they have to be afraid of if the season is about to be over?

J-Mike88
10-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Ummm yes? In the situation you just described the season is on the line, if he's your best return guy why the hell wouldn't you? I know it's a hypothetical situation but still. Were talking everyday use. Not 1 team is gonna shy away from using their best player on a return if the season is on the line.

What would they have to be afraid of if the season is about to be over?
I agree..... if it's important enough, then you use your great one, risking it.

That's why I am puzzled that NE considers all of them important enough to risk Welker there.

I believe the Cowboys have learned with Dez to keep him from doing it (returns). Not because he's not their best at it, but because they need him at WR so badly.

We hated seeing Tramon return punts last year, get tangled up with 5 guys trying to split his legs like a wishbone.

LonghornsLegend
10-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Yea but I think if a guy proves he's gonna get hurt, or be nicked up you call it quits. I believe Welker has been healthy all around returning punts, and taking care of his body so they let him handle it. I bet you if he had gotten a concussion or 2 from doing it he wouldn't be back there anymore.

If Dez had showed he could be healthy returning punts and had never been nicked he'd still be back there right now. I don't think we'd see Desean Jackson and Maclin back there on returns if one of them gets hurt doing it either.

CC.SD
10-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Only one touchdown, Calvin?

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo60/CCSDphotos_2008/son-1.jpg

BRAVEHEART
10-11-2011, 02:19 PM
I think that just speaks to his greatness right there. We are dissapointed when he only scores 1 touchdown. When the chips are down, the Lions will rely on him more often though.