PDA

View Full Version : Lions Breakout Player for '07 ?

Xiomera
03-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Like Cory Redding in '06, who will be the Lions "breakout" player this year?

Discuss . . .

Xiomera
03-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Call me crazy, but I think its gonna be Kalimba Edwards. He will never be an every down DE, but I think he notches double digit sacks this year.

Scotty D
03-25-2007, 07:31 PM
I voted Stanley Wilson but it wasn't an easy choice. If Jon Scott gets the starting job at RT it could easily be him. Bullocks and Edwards should also step it up this year.

WMD
03-25-2007, 07:40 PM
I'll go with Stanley Wilson.. he came on strong at the end of the year, I can't see him disappointing.

Mythos
03-25-2007, 08:16 PM
I went Cody. I thought he was pretty effective as a situational pass rusher his rookie year. Maybe if he's not playing 60 snaps at NT he can be effective.

I was thinking about going other with Dee McCann grabbing a roster spot and starting corner job by Turkey Day.

Scotty D
03-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Also if 2-3 of these guys breakout we will be a much better football team.

Xiomera
03-25-2007, 08:49 PM
I went Cody. I thought he was pretty effective as a situational pass rusher his rookie year. Maybe if he's not playing 60 snaps at NT he can be effective.

I was thinking about going other with Dee McCann grabbing a roster spot and starting corner job by Turkey Day.

Might I ask where you are getting this from? I've heard nothing of McCann since we drafted him . . .

lionsfan81
03-25-2007, 08:54 PM
i voted kalimba edwards but it was more of a hoping he breaks out this year as opposed to actually breaking out. We NEED him to have a breakout year. We need any and all DE's to have a breakout year for our defense to be successful. I just hope Cullen is done getting wasted and driving naked and focuses more on actually developing our D-lineman.

I really like Dee McCann as well but i think he needs one more year before he could really start to blossom. Hopefully hes having a heck of an offseason and working his butt off to understand the system because we can sure use his help this year with our CBs we have right now. I think he started to understand it at the end of the year and that is one of the reasons they promoted him from the practice squad, that and injuries.

LionSmack
03-25-2007, 09:51 PM
I voted Bullocks because he's the only one who I feel still has a realistic shot at being a real good player. All the others have pretty much shown what they are, which is backup-caliber guys or worse. Maybe one or more proves me wrong, and I'd love it, but I'm not believing it enough to vote for any of them.

bearsfan_51
03-25-2007, 09:54 PM
I voted Cody because I don't think Scott will start. I guess it depends on how you define "breakout". I don't forsee any of them making the probowl, but a few look like they'll be solid contributors.

DHVF
03-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Other...It'll most definitely be Mike Williams.

etk
03-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Wouldn't Mike Furrey be the definition of a Breakout Player?

I voted other, because I think it will be Alex Lewis or Josh McCown.

DHVF
03-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Wouldn't Mike Furrey be the definition of a Breakout Player?

I voted other, because I think it will be Alex Lewis or Josh McCown.
As a WR???

WMD
03-25-2007, 11:04 PM
As a WR???

Kick Returner, baby!

DHVF
03-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Kick Returner, baby!coocookachoo!

WMD
03-25-2007, 11:09 PM
coocookachoo!

Josh McCown is the Walrus? He's the egg man... that's all I know about him.

etk
03-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Here's how I see it: Lions draft Willis (not QB), Kitna gets injured in preseason, McCown steps in and leads them to the promised land (2 victories over the Vikes :)). Seriously he would be a good QB under Martz, but he's over 6 feet so he wouldn't make a good Martz WR.

WMD
03-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see what the Lions offense can do with McCown as the Quarterback.. I hope he gets some kind of shot.

Jagonsucker
03-26-2007, 12:28 AM
i voted Wilson but if Scott starts then he has a good chance. Bullocks also showed signs of being a good player last year as well. Either 3 of these guys. Cody is just our 3rd DT so unless Rogers or Reddings gets injured..I dont think he'll get much playing time.

TacticaLion
03-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Kick Returner, baby!Haha... great post.

I voted Cody. SRogers doesn't seem to fit the puzzle that Marinelli is putting together... and he's still got a lot of value. Trading him would certinally open a spot for Cody to come in and thrive.

I think Wilson will have a solid year as well.

If McCown starts returning kicks, we're in trouble.

ironman4579
03-26-2007, 09:50 AM
I voted "other." Here's why. I know this will sound weird, but I think Ernie Sims will be the breakout player. Now hear me out on this one. I love what Sims did last year. Over 120 tackles is outstanding, and he was by far the best player on our defense IMO. However, he had 0.5 sacks, 1 PBU, 1 forced fumble, and 1 fumble recovery. I think this season he's going to have the kind of year where other teams fans say "Holy @&%#, Ernie Freaking Sims!" I really feel he's just going to be a playmaking force this season, causing turnovers etc.

TacticaLion
03-26-2007, 10:24 AM
I voted "other." Here's why. I know this will sound weird, but I think Ernie Sims will be the breakout player. Now here me out on this one. I love what Sims did last year. Over 120 tackles is outstanding, and he was by far the best player on our defense IMO. However, he had 0.5 sacks, 1 PBU, 1 forced fumble, and 1 fumble recovery. I think this season he's going to have the kind of year where other teams fans say "Holy @&%#, Ernie Freaking Sims! I really feel he's just going to be a playmaking force this season, causing turn overs etc.

I hope so... that would be outstanding.

woodnick
03-26-2007, 01:07 PM
I voted other and Chose Dewayne White. I know a contract like he received shouldn't warrant him as a canidate for a "breakout" player, but he hasn't done that much in his career and the Lions are gambling on his future like they did with Kalimba last year, I know pretty scary. Cody is a waste, as evident by how bad he did and how well Redding did in this scheme. Wilson won't get a chance becuase Fisher will be ahead of him on the Depth chart and then when Bryant gets injured the CB we draft, hopefully Hughes in the 3rd, will step in and play well. Scott probably won't start and even if he does than it's hard to judge OLinemen. Bullocks will probably struggle due to Kennedy's deficiencies in coverage and Bullocks having to cover to much ground. Edwards will have 6-10 sacks, mainly due to single blocking from the disruption the other 3 create. Lehman won't touch the Field, if he does the Lions will be looking at McFadden with the #1 pick next year. Another name is Fisher, he struggled in the Rams d, but who doesn't, and cover 2 should fit him.

TacticaLion
03-26-2007, 03:16 PM
I voted other and Chose Dewayne White. I know a contract like he received shouldn't warrant him as a canidate for a "breakout" player, but he hasn't done that much in his career and the Lions are gambling on his future like they did with Kalimba last year, I know pretty scary. Cody is a waste, as evident by how bad he did and how well Redding did in this scheme. Wilson won't get a chance becuase Fisher will be ahead of him on the Depth chart and then when Bryant gets injured the CB we draft, hopefully Hughes in the 3rd, will step in and play well. Scott probably won't start and even if he does than it's hard to judge OLinemen. Bullocks will probably struggle due to Kennedy's deficiencies in coverage and Bullocks having to cover to much ground. Edwards will have 6-10 sacks, mainly due to single blocking from the disruption the other 3 create. Lehman won't touch the Field, if he does the Lions will be looking at McFadden with the #1 pick next year. Another name is Fisher, he struggled in the Rams d, but who doesn't, and cover 2 should fit him.A player is not his contract, but is his ability and opportunity. White played behind some great DEs in a great defense, which is why he didn't start and couldn't put up big numbers. A lot of Bucs fans have come on the board and told us that we got a great player in White... that they wanted to keep him. Marinelli will do good things with him.

I'm suprised you've counted Cody out after 2 seasons. He's got the talent (and now, the opportunity) to play and perform. I think he'll have a solid season this year.

It's also rumored that Wilson will start and Fisher will battle Bryant for a starting spot.

woodnick
03-26-2007, 03:36 PM
I like the White move, they have his former D-line coach and LB coach who know him well and know the potential he posseses and I think he'll be a Double-digit sack guy. Cody, I'm just not sold on him I thought he was the week point of the D-line last year. Sitting next to Big Baby gave him a lot of opportunities and he couldn't cash in on them. If Wilson is progressing that nicely than that's great and we need that, but I haven't heard anything like that and if Bryant was competing for his starting position than why not try to move him with his bloated salary.

woodnick
03-26-2007, 03:51 PM
One main reason that I don't like Cody because I thought there were better players that fit needs on the board when the Lions traded up to get Cody, most noteably I thought the Lions should have drafted Odell Thurman or Lofa Tatupa, Roth, Roos or Barnes, or one of the plenty of DBs available.

Xiomera
03-26-2007, 04:16 PM
One main reason that I don't like Cody because I thought there were better players that fit needs on the board when the Lions traded up to get Cody, most noteably I thought the Lions should have drafted Odell Thurman or Lofa Tatupa, Roth, Roos or Barnes, or one of the plenty of DBs available.

Sorry to call you out on this one, but I highly doubt you thought the Lions should have drafted him in the second round that year. When Seattle took Tatupa, people were shocked, confused, and highly critical of what was deemed as quite a reach. No one would have thought it to be a good pick option.

Brodeur
03-26-2007, 04:20 PM
I'd go with Wilson, simply because I think he steps it up as he finally gets a starting spot.

On the contrary, I think Kalimba Edwards will continue to be the useless piece of space that he has been.

woodnick
03-26-2007, 04:32 PM
I was just trying to say that I felt Shaun Cody was a bad pick with who was on the board. Would I have drafted Lofa ahead of Thurman, no. But MLB was a lot bigger need than DT and I gladly would have traded down to the bottom of rd 2/top rd 3 for tatupa. But yes, I didn't have as high esteem for Tatupa as Thurman. Hell I still think Thurman is a hell of a player with key word player.

Mythos
03-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Might I ask where you are getting this from? I've heard nothing of McCann since we drafted him . . .

Nowhere official--I thought he looked good last preseason and I'm skeptical that Bryant and Fisher will last the year. I'd also like to see the DE from Oregon State get a chance this year. I think he tore up his knee last year.

Xiomera
03-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Nowhere official--I thought he looked good last preseason and I'm skeptical that Bryant and Fisher will last the year. I'd also like to see the DE from Oregon State get a chance this year. I think he tore up his knee last year.

Bill Swancutt . . . yeah, he had promise. I just don't see us having a roster spot for him. Assuming we will draft a DE, we will have White, Edwards, and probably another veteran like Jared DeVries as our 4 DE's. And if anything, we'd likely use Redding as a DE as a short-term fix.

Mythos
03-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Probably true about Swancutt. I'm not optimistic about Edwards. The guy seems to have nine lives though.

... as to Cody, I liked the pick and thought he showed promise his rookie year when they were just using him as a situational nickel pass rusher. I thought his problems last year stemmed from how he was used. I understand why we got rid of Big Daddy, but I think it killed our run-D. 280lbs at NT and for 60 snaps?!

TacticaLion
03-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Probably true about Swancutt. I'm not optimistic about Edwards. The guy seems to have nine lives though.

... as to Cody, I liked the pick and thought he showed promise his rookie year when they were just using him as a situational nickel pass rusher. I thought his problems last year stemmed from how he was used. I understand why we got rid of Big Daddy, but I think it killed our run-D. 280lbs at NT and for 60 snaps?!I think Cody can be a great player, if used right.

I've got much more hope in Cody than in Edwards.

reinar
04-07-2007, 03:09 AM
other = willis, hall or adams/carriker. this could also be sims here, very easily.

I think Bell is going to rush like a mad dog. and if jones is able to ome back, it would be awesome to have 2 backs at 1k.