PDA

View Full Version : 49ers Gameday Thread: Week 5: Buccaneers at 49ers

Borat
10-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Week 5:
Sunday, October 9, 2011

http://entrancemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/wpid-Tampa-Bay-Buccaneers-vs-San-Francisco-49ers.jpg

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-1)
at
San Francisco 49ers (3-1)

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0730/candlestick_580.jpg

Time: 1:05 pm pst

First of all, we may have lost to these guys last year, but I blame this guy:

http://www.blogcdn.com/nfl.fanhouse.com/media/2010/11/111410-smith-600.jpg

OK, fine, maybe it wasn't his fault. That game sucked though. And unfortunately, the TB fans were not very pleasant. Gah. The Bucs were much better than us last year. But this year is different dammit, cause, they may have this guy:

http://thepewterplank.com/files/2010/11/Freeman-Running.jpg

But we have this guy:

http://www.fantasyfootballchallenge.com/images/player_photos/49ers-linebacker-patrick-willis-tackles-buccaneers-quarterback-josh-freeman.jpg

And while they have this guy:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2010/10/blount.jpg

We have a budding superstar in this guy:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lb82uxBMZp1qcpi24o1_500.jpg

And while they got this guy at WR:

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Mike+Williams+Tampa+Bay+Buccaneers+v+San+Francisco +9s72vJqdSu-l.jpg

we will blanket him with this guy ... uhhh ... I mean this guy ... uhhh. Ah **** it. Did I mention we got these guys:

http://waiversharks.com/files/2008/10/patrick-willis.jpg http://www.49ers.com/assets/images/news/2011/01-January/011811-Bowman-Sub.jpg

Standings: It's the battle of 2 first-place teams!

NFC WEST
1. San Francisco 49ers (3-1)
2. Seattle Seahawks (1-3)
2. Arizona Cardinals (1-3)
4. St. Louis Rams (0-4)

NFC SOUTH
1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-1)
1. New Orleans Saints (3-1)
3. Atlanta Falcons (2-2)
4. Carolina Panthers (1-3)

Special Note:
If you're going to the game, be sure to stay away from this guy:

http://cdn.everyjoe.com/files/2011/03/aqib-talib-felony-charge.jpg

He may be carrying this:

http://www.reviewsofthings.com/images-glock/glock-19.jpg

Don't say I didn't warn you.

binary
10-06-2011, 12:21 AM
lol, Sopo is gonna be a big loss.

Ness
10-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Damn, Sopoaga is out. I want to see what we have in Dobbs down the line though. There might be some promise there.

Ness
10-06-2011, 12:49 AM
We haven't been 4-1 since 2002. Hopefully we take down the Buccaneers. They don't scare me that much. Eagles definitely did more especially since we had them on the road. Mike Williams could be a problem, but at least he's not DeSean Jackson. I have faith in the secondary against their receivers. Freeman could be annoying with his scrambling ability, but I think Bowman, Smith, Willis, and Brooks offset that. He'll be easier to take down than Vick.

Borat
10-06-2011, 02:08 AM
I think it's going to be a tough matchup. The Bucs will stop the run better than Philly. Alex needs to be accurate. The D will handle Blount and after just game-planning for Vick, they should be ready for another mobile QB in Freeman.

Menardo75
10-06-2011, 09:27 AM
We haven't been 4-1 since 2002. Hopefully we take down the Buccaneers. They don't scare me that much. Eagles definitely did more especially since we had them on the road. Mike Williams could be a problem, but at least he's not DeSean Jackson. I have faith in the secondary against their receivers. Freeman could be annoying with his scrambling ability, but I think Bowman, Smith, Willis, and Brooks offset that. He'll be easier to take down than Vick.

Nowhere near as annoying as Vick.

Brent
10-06-2011, 05:14 PM
I am not worried about Freeman running, I am worried about him throwing.

phlysac
10-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Gotta stop Preston Parker from having 8 yard catch after 8 yard catch all day long.

49erNation85
10-06-2011, 07:32 PM
This should be a great match up.I wish I had Sunday off.Sadly I'm finshing up my last week of work here at Mt.Rainier.Go 9ers!!

phlysac
10-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Tramaine Brock and Shawntae Spencer might BOTH miss the game.

binary
10-07-2011, 03:36 AM
Honsetly, this game is going to be super tough. Eric Davis has us losing and I can see why, the injuries don't help either.

Madirishman
10-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I hope the young talent rises up and fills the holes on D, as the defense has been the obvious strength of the team. Depth is where good teams separate themselves from the weak. Exhibit A: 2010 Packers

Menardo75
10-07-2011, 11:48 AM
With the injuries to Brock and Spencer looks like it's time we get to see what they have in Chris Culliver. Played well in the few snaps he got last week.

Rabscuttle
10-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Yup, just an opportunity for the rookies to get their feet wet.

Ness
10-08-2011, 04:55 AM
I just hope the 49ers don't get blown out. If that does happen I wouldn't be surprised though. It's been a sign of the times in recent years. A big letdown after things start to look up.

Me Likey Rookies
10-08-2011, 07:26 PM
I just hope the 49ers don't get blown out. If that does happen I wouldn't be surprised though. It's been a sign of the times in recent years. A big letdown after things start to look up.

You dont have to worry about this. Even if you come out completely flat, our offensive coordinator will keep our offense grounded so that its close in the 4th. We have no killer instinct.

Rabscuttle
10-08-2011, 08:05 PM
You dont have to worry about this. Even if you come out completely flat, our offensive coordinator will keep our offense grounded so that its close in the 4th. We have no killer instinct.

You guys definitely keep that engine well governed.

binary
10-09-2011, 12:21 AM
This is DEFINITELY the type of game the niners usually lose. Reminds me of the ATL game from '09 and the Bucs game from last year.

Ness
10-09-2011, 12:48 AM
This is probably the 49ers season right here. If they win this game, they'll be 4-1 for the first time since 2002. If they lose they'll probably finish 8-8 or worse and miss the playoffs. Yes I know they have a two game lead over Arizona and Seattle.

VAfy-ya
10-09-2011, 12:59 AM
I like our chances Sunday, even with the injuries. Cully has been waiting in the wings and he looked fundementally good in the snaps I saw from him last week. Spencer is questionable. He practiced Thursday and Friday so I expect he will play but not be at 100%. Good news is we get Whitner back. Bucs are a good team but they don't present us with the match-up problems teams like Dallas and Philly did. Our secondary should be able to run with their guys. Always worried about how we match up with TEs so Winslow will be a problem. Sopoaga not playing is HUGE though. He's one of the reasons our run game is so stout. But I may finally get to see Ian Williams play some significant snaps so that will be something to watch. Harbs will have these guys ready to play and the great news is Troy Smith isn't our QB. Much different team then the one the Bucs faced last year. These next two games will tell us alot heading into the bye.

49erNation85
10-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Man some one come and work for me today.I want to watch this game so bad!

Madirishman
10-09-2011, 11:13 AM
I give the Niners the edge if they can bottle up the run game and because the game is at home.

It does have the potential to be the season-killing, token NFC South game that haunts them every year, where they look horrible and subsequently have a losing streak.

They need to overcome that history if they want to contend. I think this will be another one that comes down to the wire.

Madirishman
10-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Alex with the accurate TD throw to D Walk for a TD.

Gore with a fumble in the red zone = no bueno.

Rogers making up for the TO with a pick 6; His 3rd INT in the last 3 games. I thought the scouting report on him was that he didn't have hands?! FA steal.

Rabscuttle
10-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Willis just saved Haralson's ass on the contain bust there.

Plug and play. Culliver with a huge pick on third down.

Madirishman
10-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Chris Culliver with his first career interception off a deflection. Way to go Cully!

Alex starts the next drive of the TO with a nice pass to Morgan.

Gerald McCoy left game with injury and is questionable to return for Bucs. I don't like to see injuries but that's good news for the O-Line and Gore going up the middle.

Madirishman
10-09-2011, 03:58 PM
TOUCHDOWN Gore! Harbaugh is owning the Bucs with his play-calling right now.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Love seeing points off of a turnover. 21-3. WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

BandwagonPunditry
10-09-2011, 04:05 PM
TOUCHDOWN Gore! Harbaugh is owning the Bucs with his play-calling right now.

Nice to see him settling into his groove. Starting the season conservatively and then holding a season-long training camp. Should get better and better.

Rabscuttle
10-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Hold to 3 or less on the 2 minute drill and come out with a mind to finish the game in the second.

The rookie class is contributing nicely early in the season. So nice to see.

And since I have been one of the harshest Crabtree critics, I will give him props for toughening up his game and competing. Totally different attitude on the field this year.

Madirishman
10-09-2011, 04:33 PM
And since I have been one of the harshest Crabtree critics, I will give him props for toughening up his game and competing. Totally different attitude on the field this year.

I belive when he was darted, it was perceived that he was already one of the best players on the team; he was our #1 WR. Now, I think he realizes the Drfat hype is all gone, the Niners have other playmakers, and he has to compete and earn his keep. Kid's got talent. He just has to put it all together and make plays when the ball is thrown his way. He's like the second coming of VD; maybe he just needs a swift kick in the a$$ to reach his star potential.

Brent
10-09-2011, 04:38 PM
As happy as I am with the start, they need to come out and keep executing. Bucs are going to adjust, Niners need to counter those changes.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Looks like Harbaugh has some killer instinct.

hawkeye123
10-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Feels good man

Borat
10-09-2011, 04:58 PM
The play-calling has been exceptional today. Touche Mr. Harbaugh. If you call games like this, I will have no issues.

Brent
10-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Not just play calling, but execution has been good. It has to keep up.

Borat
10-09-2011, 05:11 PM
It feels like we can dial up a 15-yard play any time we want. This is beautiful.

Madirishman
10-09-2011, 05:23 PM
It feels like we can dial up a 15-yard play any time we want. This is beautiful.

Been awhile. Been too long. Feels great.

Goldson with a monster hit. Another TO!

Madirishman
10-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Wonder if we're going to see two new QBs in the game in the 4th Quarter; Kap and Josh Johnson?

Borat
10-09-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm just going to point out that Harbaugh accepted the penalty rather than keeping the 3 points from the field goal. Very good Jim. Learning from his mistakes.

Madirishman
10-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Interestingly, with the penalty on the last drive, the 49ers take the points off the board, and Alex Smith subsequently hits Vernon Davis for a 14-yard TD, making it 41-3.

Madirishman
10-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Colin Kaepernick enters the game. Yes!

Hunter with a long run, with Bruce Miller leading the way.

alexschnarr
10-09-2011, 05:47 PM
That TD pass to Walker in the first, may have been Alex's best pass as a pro

Madirishman
10-09-2011, 05:49 PM
They're murdering the Bucs D with these sweeps from side to side, Hunter following his lead blocks well.

Brent
10-09-2011, 05:49 PM
I like being on this side of a blowout

hawkeye123
10-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Kaepernick is lookin' good. Josh Morgan is hurt, ****.

Madirishman
10-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Very $****y to see Morgan go down late with an injury.

Ness
10-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Very $****y to see Morgan go down late with an injury.

I know. He's our best receiver. I hope he's okay.

VAfy-ya
10-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Morgan's injury looked rather gruesome. Hope its not serious but it looked bad. Need Braylon back ASAP.

Can't wait for the latest Madden update next Fri. Lot of guys should be getting a boost in their ratings, as the team overall. Congrats to Cully on his first int and Aldon had two more sacks. Alex with 3 TDs and NO ints! Been a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time since I felt this good about our beloved Niners. Bring on dem Lions!!!!

Borat
10-09-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm just happy we can compete. The past decade has been brutal. I'm not expecting to win the super bowl, but I want to compete with good teams (or blow them the **** out like today)!

binary
10-09-2011, 06:35 PM
wow, i don't even know what to say guys, it just feels good.

Rabscuttle
10-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Such a good effort. Dominated from coaching to special teams. The team was completely prepared for this game.

Tougher game against a team that will be a harder matchup next week.

Ness
10-09-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm just happy we can compete. The past decade has been brutal. I'm not expecting to win the super bowl, but I want to compete with good teams (or blow them the **** out like today)!

Agreed. Just to hang with some of the other better teams in the NFL at this point is all I ask, and for us to get better, which seems to be happening. Before this game I mentioned this could define our season. Or rather, this was a vital game that could get a long way and tell us a lot about the team. We were 3-1, and in the last few years we would have just fell apart with this opportunity. Instead we finally took a stand and choose our destiny ourselves. And we took it and ran with it. We're 4-1 for the first time since 2002. Teams like New Orleans, Detroit and Green Bay still scare me, but we're getting better every week it seems and if things keep going our way we'll be back on top.

VAfy-ya
10-09-2011, 07:46 PM
And I'd like to add that hopefully this win marks the end of Rachal as a starter. Still think Synder is not a long term answer but the unit just functions better with him in there at RG. O-Line had a stellar game today. And Bruce Miller is looking better and better each week. Have to contine to give Baalke props on this last draft. Even CK looked good today. Future looks bright for the first time in a long time.

Rabscuttle
10-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Aldon, CK, Culliver, Hunter, Miller, Jones all contributed today. Not bad considering this is only week 5 and we still have Kilgore and Person developing in the weight room.

VAfy-ya
10-09-2011, 09:05 PM
According to MM, Morgan fractured his ankle. **** that hurts our O. I think we bring back Zeigler. Hopefully he's been working out and improving his knee after being cut. I don't see us picking up a guy who has to learn the offense from scratch and I dont see us going after a smallish WR like Lance Long or Jurovich with both Ginn and Williams on the roster. So who starts next week? I guess Ginn and Crabtree. And is Ginn or Williams still our #1 and #2 returners with us so depleated at WR? Think we might see Cully get his first action on returns.

Rabscuttle
10-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Receivers just take up positions that could be occupied by linemen and tightends. Next week, the zero receiver set.

CJSchneider
10-09-2011, 09:16 PM
On behalf of Saints fans everywhere -
Thank you.

Verloren
10-09-2011, 09:42 PM
According to MM, Morgan fractured his ankle. **** that hurts our O. I think we bring back Zeigler. Hopefully he's been working out and improving his knee after being cut. I don't see us picking up a guy who has to learn the offense from scratch and I dont see us going after a smallish WR like Lance Long or Jurovich with both Ginn and Williams on the roster. So who starts next week? I guess Ginn and Crabtree. And is Ginn or Williams still our #1 and #2 returners with us so depleated at WR? Think we might see Cully get his first action on returns.
Depends on whether Morgan ends up on IR or not. If he doesn't, we'll probably stick with Crab/Ginn/Williams.

If he goes on IR...how about poaching Hogan from the NY Giants? Last listed at 6'2, 200lbs. Zeigler is definitely another option.

Hunter has been playing upback for the KR, and I think Dixon had a few shots at the position.

Rabscuttle
10-09-2011, 09:45 PM
If some corners make it back, Culliver can return too.

VAfy-ya
10-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Depends on whether Morgan ends up on IR or not. If he doesn't, we'll probably stick with Crab/Ginn/Williams.

If he goes on IR...how about poaching Hogan from the NY Giants? Last listed at 6'2, 200lbs. Zeigler is definitely another option.

Hunter has been playing upback for the KR, and I think Dixon had a few shots at the position.

Whether Morgan is put on IR or not, I highy doubt we go into any game with only 3 healthy WRs. Morgan will be out for awhile so we will sign a WR to the 53. Just a question of who at this point.

VAfy-ya
10-09-2011, 10:58 PM
If some corners make it back, Culliver can return too.

This is why I really wished we would have kept Phillip Adams. Injuries seem to always happen at CB, and his added value as a returner would be very helpful at a time like this. No use looking back I guess, what's done is done. Hopefully Spencer can rest the toe during the week and be ready versus Detriot. We'll need all the help we can get with Megatron.

49ersfan_87
10-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Looking at available WR's...slim pickings. Assuming we don't go after T.O. or Moss, Hank Baskett, Justin Gage, and T.J. Houshmanzadeh are the biggest names available. Might as well just bring back Lance Long or Dominique Ziegler for now. To make space i would have the 49ers release Moran Norris. I'd take Miller, Walker, Sopoaga, and Peele at FB over Norris.

Ness
10-09-2011, 11:32 PM
I wonder how we're going to stop Calvin Johnson. That might be tough. At least the 49ers defense isn't going up against another elusive quarterback. Hopefully this makes it easier for our linebackers to get pressure on Stafford...assuming the defensive line gets a good enough push.

Verloren
10-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Are NFL teams allowed to drop injured players?

Brent
10-10-2011, 12:56 AM
Are NFL teams allowed to drop injured players?
if they pay an injury settlement

Rabscuttle
10-10-2011, 10:13 AM
This is why I really wished we would have kept Phillip Adams. Injuries seem to always happen at CB, and his added value as a returner would be very helpful at a time like this. No use looking back I guess, what's done is done. Hopefully Spencer can rest the toe during the week and be ready versus Detriot. We'll need all the help we can get with Megatron.

Best bet is going to be beating the hell out of Stafford then Hill then whoever else they rollout.

Only so many roster spots, but I was hoping for Adams to stick as well.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Best bet is going to be beating the hell out of Stafford then Hill then whoever else they rollout.

Only so many roster spots, but I was hoping for Adams to stick as well.

I like Adams as well but it is pretty telling (about his health) when he isn't able to stick with a struggling Pats secondary.

49erNation85
10-11-2011, 09:16 PM
We could use another big WR.Even though T.O time was horrible in SF,I would love to have him back.But I dunno after him over dose issue.Rather get Moss.

Ness
10-12-2011, 12:52 AM
We could use another big WR.Even though T.O time was horrible in SF,I would love to have him back.But I dunno after him over dose issue.Rather get Moss.

Terrell Owens was a productive receiver here. I'm assuming you mean his persona, which was terrible, and it's the very reason I don't want him back here. Not to mention the last time he was here he couldn't wait to leave. We're winning without team cancer's like Terrell Owens. Now that he's nearing the end of his career he's really not worth the investment. And he's coming off an injury. No thanks. I'd rather develop Crabtree and keep winning games the way we have been.

Madirishman
10-12-2011, 01:38 AM
They signed a WR. Let's stop all this talk about T.O.

The horse is DEAD! Quit beating it. O.o

Madirishman
10-12-2011, 02:05 AM
Vote for Aldon Smith for Rookie of the Week. He was nominated for his 2 sack day against the Bucs.

http://www.nfl.com/voting/rookies/2011/reg/5?module=HP11_content_stream_voting_pepsi#playerId :09000d5d822fbc44

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Vote for Aldon Smith for Rookie of the Week. He was nominated for his 2 sack day against the Bucs.

http://www.nfl.com/voting/rookies/2011/reg/5?module=HP11_content_stream_voting_pepsi#playerId :09000d5d822fbc44

Awards and nominations all week for 49ers players:
Patrick Willis named NFC Defensive Player of the Week

Alex Smith won ESPN Next Level Player of the Week http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/nextlevel/alex-smith-samsung-level-player-week

Frank Gore was nominated for Fedx Ground and Air player of the week

John Madden nominated 49ers O-line as the "Prilosec OTC Protectors" of the week (Never thought that would happen this season)

binary
10-12-2011, 02:11 PM
If Kyle Williams can develop into that quick/shifty slot WR we've been missing, this could be a perfect blend of size, speed, height, and route running: Braylon Crabtree, Williams. You can throw in Ginn for some deep routes and you have a well-rounded group. throw n dElanie and VD and I'm happy with it.

Rabscuttle
10-12-2011, 04:11 PM
In what universe does someone that won't put team first get brought in to Harbaugh's blue collar approach? GTFO, Randy Moss?

Kyle Williams could be a blitz killer runnning slants with his quickness and hands. He should still have some youtube clips that show an amazing abilty to adjust to the ball in the air.

dan77733
10-12-2011, 10:05 PM
We signed WR Brett Swain formerly of the Packers. He seems like he could be decent and has potential. Considering the other receivers we gave try outs to, im happy we signed Swain.