PDA

View Full Version : October 6th Mock Draft!

Matthew Jones
10-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Yes, I know I made a mock draft yesterday, but who's complaining? Last time, I used ESPN's power rankings for the order, this time, I went with Sports Illustrated's. I think it came out pretty well, but I'll leave it up to you guys to decide.

October 6th Mock Draft

1. Indianapolis Colts - QB Andrew Luck, Stanford*

2. Miami Dolphins - QB Matt Barkley, Southern California*

3. St. Louis Rams - WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma St.*

4. Minnesota Vikings - OT Matt Kalil, Southern California*

5. Kansas City Chiefs - OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford*

6. Seattle Seahawks - RB Trent Richardson, Alabama*

7. Denver Broncos - QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma*

8. Jacksonville Jaguars - DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina

9. Arizona Cardinals - OT Riley Reiff, Iowa*

10. Carolina Panthers - WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina*

11. Cincinnati Bengals - CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama*

12. Cleveland Browns - LB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona St.*

13. Philadelphia Eagles - LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame*

14. Dallas Cowboys - CB Morris Claiborne, Louisiana St.*

15. Cleveland Browns (from Falcons) - WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame

16. Chicago Bears - OG David DeCastro, Stanford*

17. New York Jets - NT Alameda Ta'amu, Washington

18. Oakland Raiders - LB Zach Brown, North Carolina

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina*

20. Pittsburgh Steelers - OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia

21. San Francisco 49ers - CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska

22. New York Giants - LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College*

23. Tennessee Titans - DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan St.*

24. San Diego Chargers - LB Courtney Upshaw, Alabama

25. Washington Redskins - DT Jared Crick, Nebraska

26. Buffalo Bills - OT Andrew Datko, Florida St.

27. Houston Texans - FS T.J. McDonald, Southern California*

28. Detroit Lions - OT Matt Reynolds, Brigham Young

29. Baltimore Ravens - C Peter Konz, Wisconsin*

30. New England Patriots (from Saints) - DE Devin Taylor, South Carolina*

31. New England Patriots - DE Donte Paige-Moss, North Carolina*

32. Green Bay Packers - DT Billy Winn, Boise St.

Also considered:

WR Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M

OG Kelechi Osemele, Iowa St.

DT Josh Chapman, Alabama

DE Brandon Jenkins, Florida St.*

LB Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma*

CB Chase Minnifield, Virginia

FS Robert Lester, Alabama*

thenewfeature06
10-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Zach Brown could be a nice selection, I would also like Dennard and Kuechly or Crick/Worthy.

Razor
10-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Back to back DEs for the Pats might be a bit too aggressive for my liking.. I'd also rather want Ronnell Lewis instead of DPM, who's been very disappointing this year. I don't think DPM would warrant a first or second round selection at this point tbh. Ronnell Lewis on the other hand is a guy I could see move into the middle of the first round depending on draft order simply because there aren't a lot of good pass rushers in the class.

Matthew Jones
10-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Back to back DEs for the Pats might be a bit too aggressive for my liking.. I'd also rather want Ronnell Lewis instead of DPM, who's been very disappointing this year. I don't think DPM would warrant a first or second round selection at this point tbh. Ronnell Lewis on the other hand is a guy I could see move into the middle of the first round depending on draft order simply because there aren't a lot of good pass rushers in the class.

I agree that he hasn't had the season expected of him (either has Taylor), but Paige-Moss is 6'4" 260 with the strength to anchor vs. the run, whereas Ronnell Lewis is 6'2" and 245 pounds. At this point, I'd be happy with any attempt to upgrade the pass rush, but let's be serious here, do you really think Belichick is going to draft a 6'2", 245 pound pass rusher? Do you really think he'd do that? Really?

T-RICH49
10-06-2011, 10:36 AM
in that scenario give KC Richardson.no one knows how Jamaal will return post injury and Thomas Jones sucks

Razor
10-06-2011, 10:52 AM
I agree that he hasn't had the season expected of him (either has Taylor), but Paige-Moss is 6'4" 260 with the strength to anchor vs. the run, whereas Ronnell Lewis is 6'2" and 245 pounds. At this point, I'd be happy with any attempt to upgrade the pass rush, but let's be serious here, do you really think Belichick is going to draft a 6'2", 245 pound pass rusher? Do you really think he'd do that? Really?

No reason to be a dick about it man. Yeah, I do actually think that BB would consider Lewis. He was proven sorely wrong with CMIII. And I'm not saying that BB wouldn't draft DPM, but he wouldn't draft him in the first or the second round. That's not good value, and we all know how BB loves value. I think Lewis will be considered good value at this point in the draft come april which is why I think we could end up seeing Lewis in NE next if we move back to the 3-4.

killxswitch
10-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Luck to the Colts is obviously a great pick. I could easily see him learning from Manning in the film room for 2 years, then taking over in '14.

Nalej
10-06-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm a fan of the TB method of drafting DEs for the Pats

vidae
10-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Not a huge fan of Martin so I'd much rather have Trent Richardson or Landry Jones (ugh) there for KC.

bruschis4all
10-06-2011, 11:51 AM
No reason to be a dick about it man. Yeah, I do actually think that BB would consider Lewis. He was proven sorely wrong with CMIII. And I'm not saying that BB wouldn't draft DPM, but he wouldn't draft him in the first or the second round. That's not good value, and we all know how BB loves value. I think Lewis will be considered good value at this point in the draft come april which is why I think we could end up seeing Lewis in NE next if we move back to the 3-4.

Honestly, I didn't think he was being a dick. I think all Pats fans are frustrated by our lack of pass rush. And, Belichick's seemingly reluctance to pull the trigger on anyone other than a Willie McGinest clone. I can see a switch back to the 3-4. I'd trade up for Courtney Upshaw.
Once I see his 40 time and workouts. Want to make sure he's a good individual pass rusher and not just the product of a great team/system. 1st and Oakland 2nd. Hope Ronnell Lewis falls to 1b. In the 2nd we would still have some holes at; C, FS, WR and a 2-gap de.

I don't mind taking the two de's. I am just not crazy about the 4-3 de's in this draft. When I watch So. Carolina, I see Ingram and Clowney pressuring the qb and Taylor not so much. Taylor is more of a project. He has the triangle numbers. If we pick him, I would definitely want someone who can step in sooner. Maybe Billy Winn to play that strong side de.

Matthew Jones
10-06-2011, 11:53 AM
in that scenario give KC Richardson.no one knows how Jamaal will return post injury and Thomas Jones sucks

I'm just not sure Pioli would spend a top-five on a running back, although I agree with your opinion that he might be the best pick they could make there.

K Train
10-06-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm just not sure Pioli would spend a top-five on a running back, although I agree with your opinion that he might be the best pick they could make there.

no way in hell pioli would spend a top 5 on a safety either remember

Matthew Jones
10-06-2011, 11:56 AM

I didn't mean to be a dick, I was just joking that Belichick has passed on a ton of undersized guys before and after Matthews, and that based on what we know of him, he won't consider a guy that undersized. I wouldn't mind Lewis because our pass rush is terrible, but I'm making an educated guess that he wouldn't draft someone like that.

Honestly, I didn't think he was being a dick. I think all Pats fans are frustrated by our lack of pass rush. And, Belichick's seemingly reluctance to pull the trigger on anyone other than a Willie McGinest clone. I can see a switch back to the 3-4. I'd trade up for Courtney Upshaw.
Once I see his 40 time and workouts. Want to make sure he's a good individual pass rusher and not just the product of a great team/system. 1st and Oakland 2nd. Hope Ronnell Lewis falls to 1b. In the 2nd we would still have some holes at; C, FS, WR and a 2-gap de.

I don't mind taking the two de's. I am just not crazy about the 4-3 de's in this draft. When I watch So. Carolina, I see Ingram and Clowney pressuring the qb and Taylor not so much. Taylor is more of a project. He has the triangle numbers. If we pick him, I would definitely want someone who can step in sooner. Maybe Billy Winn to play that strong side de.

I'd love Billy Winn, but you mentioned a Willie McGinest clone and Taylor is 6'7", 260. That's about as good as it gets. Keep in mind that he has regularly dropped into coverage and looks very good doing it. Upshaw would be great too, if he was available when the Patriots were on the clock he would have been a no-brainer. My dream scenario right now would probably be Upshaw and Crick.

Matthew Jones
10-06-2011, 11:58 AM
no way in hell pioli would spend a top 5 on a safety either remember

When did I ever say that?

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2140136&highlight=eric+berry#post2140136

vidae
10-06-2011, 12:01 PM

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2140136&highlight=eric+berry#post2140136

You actually did really well there.. you got a bunch of first rounders right, nice job!

K Train
10-06-2011, 01:38 PM

wasnt you, just a general consensus of what people knew pioli would never do. I had berry going there too....i was just saying pioli has taken tyson jackson 3 and berry 5...jackson plays a top 5 position but wasnt a top 5 player, and berry was a top 2 player but not at a premium position....pioli is a mind **** waiting to happen

Robcards
10-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Finally a good Jets pick! 100% agree with that.

Pat Sims 90
10-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Would rather have Claiborne over Kirkpatrick.

KCStud
10-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Hey RavenofProphecy, I think LT won't be a pick for us. Albert has been tremendous this year. He's a top 10 LT this year and is playing like it.

At that point I would take Richardson like the other Chiefs fans say.

I could very well see us take a CB here tho. KC was looking for one last offseason and Carr is average.

derza222
10-06-2011, 10:23 PM
I certainly would have no problem with the Jets taking Ta'amu. The run defense has been poor obviously, I'm a big fan of building from the trenches, and I think Ta'amu is athletic enough to get moved around a bit which is good because that fits the scheme.

My only criticism is that I'm not sure it's a move the Jets will make given they are pretty high on Kenrick Ellis and, while he hasn't gotten onto the field, he seems to be doing well in practice and was solid in the preseason. No returns yet, but it's not like things are looking negative either. I'm sure if the season continues to go like the last couple weeks he'll find his way onto the field more and we'll get a feel for whether or not he's the NT of the future. Obviously the team needs work in a lot of spots so I could see RT, G, OLB, WR, S, or maybe even RB getting addressed early too. Plus I think corner is always a possibility.

Robcards
10-06-2011, 10:27 PM
High on Kenrick Ellis? Are YOU high? He lost his spot on the depth chart to an undrafted free agent (Dixon) and hasn't played a down yet.

Corner is a possibility 6th or 7th round because Rex likes DBs but not 1st. HB, LG, or RT I could see though.

Here's how I see the Jets draft going (obviously depending on what we do with free agency):

1st NT (Worthy or Ta'amu)
2nd OLB (Curry or Taylor)
3rd G (Zeitler) or RT (Sanders) or HB (Wilson,Gray,Polk,Wood)
4th HB (Ellington,Pead,Pierce) or TE (Egnew,Paulson)
5th WR (Maze,Childs,McNutt) or RT (Zusevics or Bergstrom)
6th and 7th whichever positions above not drafted yet

Go_Eagles77
10-07-2011, 10:13 AM
I'll take that.

Menardo75
10-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Great Niners pick.

akvikefan89
10-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Love the Vikings pick.

SickwithIt1010
10-10-2011, 12:35 AM
Love this eagles pick.

vidae
10-10-2011, 01:29 AM
I thought Landry Jones played really well against Texas, so I'd be more than okay with him there for KC. He has been impressive lately.