PDA

View Full Version : AFC or NFC: which conference is stronger?

J-Mike88
10-06-2011, 09:27 PM
I'd like to hear your guys opinions on this.
We just had a fun discussion about this on the radio, and I think some of you guys can make solid cases for each side & this could be a fun thread.

I'll throw in a few positives for each side to get the ball rolling.

NFC, for:
-Past 2 Super Bowl winners
-Only 2 undefeated teams currently
-The Dream Team

AFC, for:
-Tom Brady
-Steelers are always good
-Great defensive teams in Ravens, Steelers, Jets always will be good
-NFC West is not in the AFC (okay okay Niners fans, I know you're 3-1 now)

Mr. Goosemahn
10-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Offense: NFC

QB Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay
RB Adrian Peterson, Minnesota
WR Calvin Johnson, Detroit
WR Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona
TE Vernon Davis, San Francisco
LT ??
LG Carl Nicks, New Orleans
C ??
RG Jahri Evans, New Orleans
RT ??

They have arguably the best QB in the league, the best RB, two of the three best WRs, arguably the best TE in the league, and the best guards (who also happen to be in the same team.

Defense: AFC

DE Haloti Ngata, Baltimore
NT Vince Wilfork, New England
DE Richard Seymour, Oakland
OLB James Harrison, Pittsburgh
ILB Jerod Mayo, Pittsburgh
ILB Lawrence Timmons, Pittsburgh
OLB Terrell Suggs, Baltimore
CB Darrelle Revis, New York Jets
FS Ed Reed, Baltimore
SS Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh
CB Champ Bailey, Denver??

Best 3-4 DE in the league, best 3-4 NT in the league, another elite 3-4 DE in Seymour, the best and second best (IMO!) 3-4 OLBs in the league right now, two great ILBs, the best CB in football, and the two best safeties in football as well.

Complex
10-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Why would Mayo be in there over Ray Lewis? I rather David Harris over Mayo.Stanford Routt has been balling out this year other than that 1 TD pass to Deion Branch that is.

jrdrylie
10-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Right now, the NFC. You could argue that Detroit, Green Bay, and New Orleans are the top-three teams in the league. And you could argue that Kansas City, Indianapolis, and Jacksonville are the worst-three. Add in teams like Chicago, New York, Washington, Atlanta, and Tampa Bay and there is no competition.

J-Mike88
10-06-2011, 10:06 PM
QB- Brady
RB- Ray Rice, Arian Foster, Darren McDadden, CJ2K
WR- Andre Johnson, Wes Welker, Mike Wallace, Vincent Jackson
TE- Gates*, Gronkowski

That's pretty much flawless there across that board. Of course, AJ & Gates are currently injured. You can always add Tebow in there for the H-back trickery!

tjsunstein
10-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Is this going to turn into a thread about what conference has the best players at every position like it's a pro bowl thread? Or is it asking what conference has the better teams of the two?

I'll go with the NFC right now. But only because the NFC is a lot more offense oriented, and without an offseason, the AFC being very defense heavy has seen a more noticeable effect with their defensive struggles.

If you're going to quote this for me to clarify, take into consideration I'm high right now and I'm not even sure how much sense it makes. Be warned before you put too much thought into a post in response.

OSUGiants17
10-07-2011, 12:00 AM
AFC East vs NFC East =NFC
- AFC is usually a 2 team race or New England runs away with it, NFC has the Giants, Cowboys and Eagles, all consistent.

AFC North vs NFC North = Slight edge to NFC
- Packers = Ravens
- Lions(this year) > Steelers
- Bears > Browns
- Vikings < Bengals

AFC South vs NFC South = NFC
- NFC south is one of the best conferences in the league with 3 playoff caliber teams consistently. AFC is usually just the Colts run away with it, this year it's the Texans.

AFC West vs NFC West = AFC
- Chargers > 49ers
- Raiders > Cardinals
- Broncos > Seahawks
- Cheifs push Rams

NFC is better, idc about the players, it's the teams.

wogitalia
10-07-2011, 12:57 AM
- Vikings < Bengals

I've just got nothing... this is actually correct :sadpanda:

I think there is a lot more parity right now than there has been in the past decade, the NFC has really made up a lot of ground.

NFC West is probably the difference right now because it is just on another level of bad.

I also think the AFC has more of the teams that I personally think are SB contenders.

In the NFC I think you have New Orleans and Green Bay as strong contenders with Falcons, Giants, Eagles, Lions and maybe the Cowboys as outsiders.

AFC I'd say that New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New York, San Diego and Houston are all legitimate contenders and that the Titans and Raiders are chances.

Now a part of that is probably that I feel New Orleans and Green Bay are a fair bit better than the other NFC teams whereas there is more parity at the top in the AFC. I do think the NFC has the top team in Green Bay as well.

So yeah, for the first time in a while there is a genuine sense of parity between the two.

Pat Sims 90
10-07-2011, 01:08 AM
NFC is stronger this year but i think the AFC is more well rounded.

AntoinCD
10-07-2011, 02:10 AM
I'm going to say the NFC for now. They have the best team in the league and 3 of the top 4. The Patriots have been the class of the AFC for the last few years but stumbled in the playoffs.

Pittsburghs defense is getting older and they got steam rolled by Baltimore.
Baltimore and NYj don't have the QBs(yet)
San Diego has a horrible habit of shooting itself in the foot
Houston have never been to the playoffs.
It seems like a lifetime since Buffalo went to the playoffs.

Bengalsrocket
10-07-2011, 03:52 AM
I voted AFC just to be different!

To be honest though, at least the AFC has competitive teams in every division. I still think NFC is the stronger conference, but not by that much.

nepg
10-07-2011, 04:30 AM
I'll do it a weird way...

EAST
Bills v. Redskins - Bills
Patriots v. Giants - Patriots
Jets v. Cowboys - Jets
Dolphins v. Eagles - Eagles
AFC 3, NFC 1

NORTH
Ravens v. Packers - Packers
Bengals v. Lions - Lions
Browns v. Bears - Bears
Steelers v. Vikings - Steelers
AFC 1, NFC 3

SOUTH
Texans v. Buccaneers - Texans
Titans v. Saints - Saints
Jaguars v. Falcons - Falcons
Colts v. Panthers - Panthers
AFC 1, NFC 3

WEST
Chargers v. 49ers - Chargers
Raiders v. Seahawks - Raiders
Broncos v. Cardinals - Cardinals (toughest match-up of all)
Chiefs v. Rams - Chiefs
AFC 3, NFC 1

So...there you have it...completely tied at 8-8. It's a push!

Really came down to the Broncos-Cardinals comparison.

CJSchneider
10-07-2011, 05:32 AM

EAST
Patriots v. Giants - Patriots
Jets v. Cowboys - Jets
AFC 3, NFC 1

NORTH
Bengals v. Lions - Lions
Browns v. Bears - Bears
AFC 1, NFC 3

SOUTH
AFC 1, NFC 3

WEST
Chargers v. 49ers - Chargers
Raiders v. Seahawks - Raiders
Broncos v. Cardinals - Cardinals (toughest match-up of all)
Chiefs v. Rams - Chiefs
AFC 3, NFC 1

Titans v. Buccaneers - Buccaneers
Texans v. Saints - Saints

9 - 7
NFC is stronger.

J-Mike88
10-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Again, even in this, Peyton Manning proving his value.

The Chargers are an engima. They get the Packers and Lions yet this season.... they can change the score big time.

niel89
10-07-2011, 05:23 PM
I think the NFC is the better of the two right now. If Manning was healthy though, Colts would be considered a top team still and I think the conferences would be viewed a lot closer.

TheFinisher
10-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Top 6 NFC Teams

1. Packers (Elite Offense, Very Good Defense)
2. Saints (Elite Offense, Below Average Defense)
3. Lions (Very Good Offense, Good Defense)
4. Bears (Average Offense, Very Good Defense, Devin Hester ST)
5. Falcons (Very Good Offense, Below Average Defense)
6. Cowboys (Very Good Offense, Above Average Defense)

Top 6 AFC Teams

1. Pats (Elite Offense, Bad Defense)
2. Ravens (Below Average Offense, Elite Defense)
3. Bills (Above Average Offense, Average Defense)
4. Chargers (Very Good Offense, Average Defense)
5. Raiders (Average Offense, Above Average Defense)
6. Steelers (Average Offense, Above Average Defense)

I think the NFC has way more offensive firepower at the top then the AFC. There are some really good QBs in the NFC right now and the weapons in the receiving corps they have to throw to(GB, DAL, NO, ATL, DET) are on another planet when compared to AFC offenses (Except SD and maybe NE). The AFC has boasted multiple dominant defenses in the past but the only AFC Defense that scares me this season would be the Ravens. The rest are pretty good but are very comparable to the top defenses in the NFC.

I just feel like if you simulated games between these top 6 teams from each conference, the NFC would blow it out of the water. Their offenses are just too explosive for AFC teams to keep up with.

Nat1969
12-17-2011, 01:22 PM
RAIDER NATION, support STANFORD ROUTT #26, on his way to PRO BOWL and SUPER BOWL... Vote him in, tell everyone to vote when it starts and meawhile wear the button... http://www.picbadges.com/lets-vote-stanford-routt-raiders-cb-26-to-the-pro-bowl/2211359/ and check out the SUPER BOWL HOTELS http://14sb.com and http://2020Hotels.com . to vote GO here.. http://www.nfl.com/probowl/ballot?pos=CB&optid=622592_02_1_28 , click on DEFENSE then CB and at the bottom left is STANFORD ROUTT, (10 tackles this week-end, WOW), click on STANFORD the at the bottom right click on SUBMIT BALLOT. Do it and REPEAT; you can vote as many times as possible... THANKS for your support!

Jvig43
12-17-2011, 01:39 PM
It's pretty clearly the NFC, there shouldn't be any debate about it. But I'm sure the actual debate wasn't why this thread was made.

BaLLiN
12-17-2011, 04:57 PM

EAST
Patriots v. Giants - Patriots Except for the giants won...
Jets v. Cowboys - Jets
AFC 3, NFC 1
AFC 2 NFC 2

NORTH
Bengals v. Lions - Lions
Browns v. Bears - Bears
AFC 1, NFC 3

SOUTH
AFC 1, NFC 3

WEST
Chargers v. 49ers - Chargers 49ers getting completely disrespected, their D vs that O is a win for the niners, their O vs that D is a win for the niners, special teams? niners still. They are not the same teams they used to be.
Raiders v. Seahawks - Raiders Disagree too, Raiders play inconsistent, and the hawks defense is very very good. Oakland run D vs the Beast?
Broncos v. Cardinals - Cardinals (toughest match-up of all) I'm picking Broncos, touchdown jesus
Chiefs v. Rams - Chiefs
AFC 3, NFC 1
AFC 2, NFC 2

6-10 in favor of NFC, don't know why you picked this format...

10 characters

J-Mike88
12-17-2011, 04:59 PM
It's pretty clearly the NFC, there shouldn't be any debate about it. But I'm sure the actual debate wasn't why this thread was made.
FALSE.

And I still think it's very close:

#1's Packers vs Patriots could go any way
#2's 49ers vs Steelers could go either way, they play Monday
#3's Saints vs Ravens would be great game
#4's Giants vs Texans would be great game, like to see Texans healthy
#5's Bears vs Broncos we just witnessed it, but Bears missing QB and RB
#6's Cowboys, Falcons, Lions vs Chargers, Jets, Raiders.... close enough. Plus remember the Colts are great if Manning is there.

I think a case can be made for either side for sure.

cmarq83
12-17-2011, 05:52 PM
10 characters

The matchups are from way earlier in the season, and some of the teams playing each other now don't really make any sense. For example the 2nd best team in the AFC would play the worst team in the NFC. .

I think as it stands right now the NFC has the 2 best teams, but the AFC has more overall depth at the top, but also falls off a lot harder in terms of middle of the pack teams.

RagingColt
12-17-2011, 10:11 PM
I wasn't aware the NFL had adopted a BCS formula.

J-Mike88
12-18-2011, 07:22 AM
I wasn't aware the NFL had adopted a BCS formula.Oh have they?

Iamcanadian
12-18-2011, 11:11 AM
The NFC has won the last 2 Super Bowls and will be favourites again this year. If Green Bay goes down, the Saints would still be the favourites, so it is pretty obvious to me that the NFC is in a dominate period and it is going to be awhile before the AFC can get another win.

AntoinCD
12-18-2011, 11:15 AM
FALSE.

And I still think it's very close:

#1's Packers vs Patriots could go any way
#2's 49ers vs Steelers could go either way, they play Monday
#3's Saints vs Ravens would be great game
#4's Giants vs Texans would be great game, like to see Texans healthy
#5's Bears vs Broncos we just witnessed it, but Bears missing QB and RB
#6's Cowboys, Falcons, Lions vs Chargers, Jets, Raiders.... close enough. Plus remember the Colts are great if Manning is there.

I think a case can be made for either side for sure.

The QB having possibly the greatest season of all time against one of the worst pass defense of all time doesn't look well for the Patriots. The Packers would win that game by double digits at the minute. You know, probably 70-56 or something

AntoinCD
12-18-2011, 11:19 AM
The NFC has won the last 2 Super Bowls and will be favourites again this year. If Green Bay goes down, the Saints would still be the favourites, so it is pretty obvious to me that the NFC is in a dominate period and it is going to be awhile before the AFC can get another win.

The Packers and Saints are probably the two best teams in the NFL but that doesn't mean the NFC is definitely better. They have better elite teams but the Steelers, Patriots, Ravens and Texans would probably be 3-6 in any order. After GB and NO who in the NFC would mount a serious SB challenge? I know I don't trust Alex Smith deep in the playoffs, or Romo, the Giants defense has been terrible for a few weeks now, Atlanta are hot and cold, Detroit will probably lose by default because they'll have 53 players ejected.

I actually think it's pretty close. The NFC has the top two teams at the minute but the AFC has more legitimate SB contenders

J-Mike88
12-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Lions win at Raiders today, also won at Tebow big last month.
Non-factor Carolina wins in Houston today, who won that division and would have been the #1 seed in the AFC if it started today. Of course, they're missing their QB's and Andre.

Packers lost at AFC Chiefs today, so maybe the AFC is better LOL.

It's pretty close, but Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England are all threats to win the Super Bowl.

If my team flames out in the playoffs, I'd love to see Brees vs Brady, or vs the defenses of Pittsburgh or Baltimore. I've seen those defenses bottle him up before.

Saints vs Patriots, what would the over/under be? 75?