PDA

View Full Version : Lebron James pondering switching to NFL

Breed
10-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Career change? Heat star James practices with high school teamBy Dan Hanzus NFL.com

Published: Oct. 5, 2011 at 02:51 p.m. Updated: Oct. 5, 2011 at 03:20 p.m. Liked: 0 | Comments: 27 Email Like
Print Read Discuss Friend(s) Email Your Email Send Email By Dan Hanzus NFL.com More Columns > Is LeBron James taking his talents to the NFL?

Clearly looking for things to do as the NBA lockout drags on, the Miami Heat forward practiced in full pads with the the Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary varsity football team on Tuesday, according to the Chicago Tribune. James attended the Ohio high school, graduating in 2003 before embarking on a hugely successful NBA career.

James borrowed the equipment and jersey of injured player Clayton Uecker, who at 6-foot-5, was the closest size match to the 6-foot-8, 250-pound James. As you might imagine, James was a man amongst boys on the field, catching every pass thrown his way. There was a strict no-tackle policy in place for the two-time MVP, but there was still contact.

"Our defensive backs were allowed to jam him at the line of scrimmage," running back Sae'Von Fitzgerald said. "But he took no contact after that. Coach (Dan Borman) said we shouldn't tackle him."

(That thud you just heard was Heat president Pat Riley fainting.)

We can only imagine how difficult it must have been for a bunch of high school kids to practice with their minds blown out the back of their helmets.

"I not gonna lie, it was pretty cool to see him out there," said starting quarterback Kevin Besser.

James took to his Twitter page afterward.

"Just got done practicing with the St.V Varsity football team, full pads and all," he tweeted. "Felt great being back on the field. Should I?"

We have little doubt that, given his freakish athletic gifts, James could develop into an elite NFL tight end. As long as there isn't a bloated hour-long special to announce it, we'd be all for the LeBron experience coming to the NFL. What else is he going to do?

tjsunstein
10-07-2011, 06:34 PM
It's never going to happen.

General Zod
10-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Well, if he did he could sign with the Vikings. Like Lebron they also choke in the 4th quarter as well.

CC.SD
10-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Kobe would probably accomplish more on the field.

bucfan12
10-07-2011, 07:09 PM
LeBron James is just looking for more media attention, that's all.

CC.SD
10-07-2011, 07:13 PM
BTW Lebron would get cut in half by a safety and that would be that. Goodell probably wouldn't even fine the safety either, that's some real black ops 'for the cause' type stuff.

J-Mike88
10-07-2011, 08:58 PM
LeBron James is just looking for more media attention, that's all.Farve, is that you?

Actually, LeBron would tear and ACL or break a leg in his first game, or practice, if he played out there. Would not be a good career decision because he needs those for when the NBA comes back in 2012.

Bulldogs
10-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Farve, is that you?

Actually, LeBron would tear and ACL or break a leg in his first game, or practice, if he played out there. Would not be a good career decision because he needs those for when the NBA comes back in 2012.

Spelt your own former QB's name wrong.

Caddy
10-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I see no reason he can't have a reasonably successful career in the NFL.

Caulibflower
10-07-2011, 09:44 PM
He would sign with the Jets because they're in New York, but the coaches would want to gain some more weight and move to tight end, and LeBron would insist that he's a wide receiver, even though he's too slow and not quick enough, and then he would demand a trade, and Al Davis would tell him he was guaranteed a spot as a wide receiver, and then he would play a season and record 17 catches for 126 yards, a TD and two fumbles, and then he would get cut at the end of the season, and then the Patriots would sign him, and then cut him in the preseason, and he'd join the Panthers so he and Cam Newton could be Supastas together, and he'd have a little bit of a breakout season, catching 34 balls for 438 yards and 4 TDs, and he'd sprain his knee towards the end of the season, and then he would hold a press conference to say that he was retiring to focus on his other interests.

dj825
10-07-2011, 09:52 PM
He would sign with the Jets because they're in New York, but the coaches would want to gain some more weight and move to tight end, and LeBron would insist that he's a wide receiver, even though he's too slow and not quick enough, and then he would demand a trade, and Al Davis would tell him he was guaranteed a spot as a wide receiver, and then he would play a season and record 17 catches for 126 yards, a TD and two fumbles, and then he would get cut at the end of the season, and then the Patriots would sign him, and then cut him in the preseason, and he'd join the Panthers so he and Cam Newton could be Supastas together, and he'd have a little bit of a breakout season, catching 34 balls for 438 yards and 4 TDs, and he'd sprain his knee towards the end of the season, and then he would hold a press conference to say that he was retiring to focus on his other interests.

pretty sure Lebron is big enough to play TE since hes around 250 lbs, no weight gain needed

Donno
10-07-2011, 09:56 PM
If no one was talking about Lebron James I think he would freak out.

Caulibflower
10-07-2011, 10:18 PM
pretty sure Lebron is big enough to play TE since hes around 250 lbs, no weight gain needed

Uh... I mean, they wanted him to lose weight, and he's like, "Yo, I am beautiful the way I am." And THEN he went to the Raiders.

Philliez01
10-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Now if Usain Bolt does the same thing, ESPN will blow its load.

General Zod
10-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Now if Usain Bolt does the same thing, ESPN will blow its load.

So would Al Davis...

Philliez01
10-07-2011, 11:16 PM
So would Al Davis...

The press conference would be astounding.

Brent
10-07-2011, 11:20 PM
that's some real black ops 'for the cause' type stuff.
/thread

too funny.

BamaFalcon59
10-07-2011, 11:49 PM
LeBron would measure in at 6'7"/6'8" (NBA measures with shoes on) and 265 pounds. He could easily be an 6'8" 275 pound tight end with freak athleticism.

He won't play football but the whole thought process that it's impossible because he would get hurt due to his height is false. Tight ends have been that tall before.

niel89
10-08-2011, 12:01 AM
He would just be an oversized WR. It would be fun but waaaay too much injury potential to risk his basketball career.

Lets not pretend that a tall player can't play though. Jerramy Stevens was 6'7" and Leonard Pope is like 6'8". James has some great talent and is a fluid athlete.

MetSox17
10-08-2011, 12:04 AM
I'd love to see Asante Samuel trying to make a tackle on him.

DoughBoy
10-08-2011, 12:40 AM
He would just be an oversized WR. It would be fun but waaaay too much injury potential to risk his basketball career.

Lets not pretend that a tall player can't play though. Jerramy Stevens was 6'7" and Leonard Pope is like 6'8". James has some great talent and is a fluid athlete.

You sort of contradicted yourself here....

Breed
10-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Wouldn't a taller player have more success though? I mean being almost 7foot you should be able to catch everything

Complex
10-08-2011, 02:01 AM
Farve, is that you?

How would he tear a ACL? he has as much of chance of the next guy in the NFL.At the guy saying LeBron would be to slow is being silly. I know a lot of people here hate LeBron but he still probably the most physically gifted guy out there.

descendency
10-08-2011, 03:04 AM
Wouldn't a taller player have more success though? I mean being almost 7foot you should be able to catch everything

It also usually means longer legs which typically means slower and easier to take out. There is a reason why a 7' man would rather play basketball than football.

Also, I really doubt LeBron could run a 5 second 40. NFL speed and NBA speed are just too different.

I'm kind of surprised no one is pointing out the obvious: Why isn't LeBron in the gym taking his own profession serious? It's cool and all if he wants to go hang out with some kids. I'd probably feel bad if that's what it was about, but it seems to me like this is an attention grab since the NBA season hasn't started.

TACKLE
10-08-2011, 03:46 AM
the fact that lebron is the most physically gifted athlete on the planet leads me to believe that he could be a good football player if he wanted to.

prock
10-08-2011, 08:12 AM
6'8" 265lbs and you guys think he is going to get hurt? He is ******* huge, is faster than most players, and is strong as an ox.

He would never ever go to the NFL, but there is no reason he couldn't be successful.

Smooth Criminal
10-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Maybe if he plays two sports he'll get to 7 championships.

bored of education
10-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Taking his talents to the City of Brotherly love!

A Perfect Score
10-08-2011, 09:20 AM
6'8" 265lbs and you guys think he is going to get hurt? He is ******* huge, is faster than most players, and is strong as an ox.

He would never ever go to the NFL, but there is no reason he couldn't be successful.

It'd be like when the Panthers used to split Julius Peppers out wide around the goal line. He used to tower over corners. Just send James on a fade every play!

Zycho32
10-08-2011, 10:15 AM
If LeBron James jumped to the NFL right freaking now, he'd have the best value in two distinct areas;

1. Goal Line Packages- imagine him simply running out routes from the line and out-jumping defenders for the ball, over and over and over.
2. Field Goal Blocking- remember when you could actually block kicks right up the middle by having a leaper somewhere in the center outjump everyone else?

As a middle of the field terror he'd be a work in progress as he would have to digest what would typically be a much more complicated playbook than what he'd be used to in the NBA. That and he would probably need to at least show a willingness to block depending on the organization that signs him.

But hilariously, the NFL provides a better chance to mask his deficiencies if he shows even a token effort to improve himself.

Splat
10-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Leonard Pope.

RealityCheck
10-08-2011, 10:22 AM
The guy's an athlete. Would be great for the fans and the sport. Not sure if it will work though.

V.I.P
10-08-2011, 01:04 PM
He should go to Cleveland...

A Perfect Score
10-08-2011, 01:08 PM

Now that would be hilarious.

DoughBoy
10-08-2011, 01:09 PM
He should convert to DE agianst the Cowboys because he would know what Tony Romo was thinking.

A Perfect Score
10-08-2011, 01:11 PM
He should convert to DE agianst the Cowboys because he would know what Tony Romo was thinking.

That doesn't make any sense, Lebron wasn't a QB. Only QB's make the best pass rushers because they know what the opposing QB is thinking!

JUICE WILLIAMS! ALL HAIL DRAFT DUDE!

I miss T.I.D.D, that guy was the best.

Caulibflower
10-08-2011, 01:49 PM

Only to leave later, so he could pursue a championship.

billybeejr
10-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Lebron is one of the fastest players in the NBA. But no way he joins the nfl and risks his body like that. The man hasn't taken a hit in years.

A Perfect Score
10-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Only to leave later, so he could pursue a championship.

Imagine if he did it in two sports to the same city. So awesome.

D-Unit
10-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Screw Lebron. Dwight Howard would be an impossible stop. Lol

soybean
10-08-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work. There's a ton of two way players in the football isn't there? Can't think of the names off the top of my head.

There's the whole thing about slow twitch vs. Fast twitch muscles though...

Anyways, it'll never happen because Lebrons ankles and knees are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too valuable.

Caulibflower
10-08-2011, 04:18 PM
I would rather have seen Shaq playing tight end. Or hell, defensive line.

J-Mike88
10-08-2011, 04:30 PM
How would he tear a ACL? he has as much of chance of the next guy in the NFL.At the guy saying LeBron would be to slow is being silly. I know a lot of people here hate LeBron but he still probably the most physically gifted guy out there.
I mean A LOT of players DO tear ACLs in football.
LeBron the hoops player is worth way too much money for him to risk being one of many gridiron warriors who has his ACL ripped.

He would be a beast on the redzone fade though.
Imagine Calvin Johnson last week over the 2 Cowboys.... LeBron is 3 inches taller and much stronger. He'd draw penalties all the time on that play.

A Perfect Score
10-08-2011, 05:10 PM
I'd be curious to see what kind of salary he'd get from a team.

Saints-Tigers
10-08-2011, 09:33 PM

Because they both are chokers!! Am I the only one that caught this?

nepg
10-08-2011, 09:52 PM
He could be an amazing receiver. He's fast and obviously has a physical and athletic advantage over pretty much anyone.

A Perfect Score
10-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Julius Peppers in man to man coverage against LeBron. I want to see it.

nepg
10-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Julius Peppers in man to man coverage against LeBron. I want to see it.
I think people underestimate how fast LeBron is.

He probably makes way too much money as an NBA Superstar to even consider moving to football, but it'd be really awesome to see him on the outside. If you think Calvin Johnson is unstoppable in the end zone, you'd be in for a surprise with LeBron James.

gsorace
10-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Zero percent chance this happens.

A Perfect Score
10-09-2011, 12:08 AM
I think people underestimate how fast LeBron is.

He probably makes way too much money as an NBA Superstar to even consider moving to football, but it'd be really awesome to see him on the outside. If you think Calvin Johnson is unstoppable in the end zone, you'd be in for a surprise with LeBron James.

Peppers was rumored to be a 4.5 guy at 280 pounds for a very long time, I can't see James being THAT much faster.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Maybe if he plays two sports he'll get to 7 championships.

Seven Super Bowls is a lot to ask.

Smooth Criminal
10-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Seven Super Bowls is a lot to ask.

Almost responded and said I was thinking combined championships, but I managed to find the joke before making myself look dumb.

cvv84
10-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Wrong thread...

JBCX
10-09-2011, 04:43 PM
He does have the physical talent to play nearly ever position.

I could easily see him as a beastly DE on defense. I could just as easily see him as an uncover-able TE on offense.

Halsey
10-09-2011, 05:42 PM
LeBron could have played college football, and maybe even pro football, had there not been clearly more money for him in basketball. A lot of fans are ignorant, and think football players have some kind of football gene that LeBron lacks. They say he would break his leg in the first game he played. So then why don't all these TEs who switch from basketball to football break theirs? I don't see Antonio Gates or Jimmy Graham breaking their legs every time they walk onto a field. LeBron is clearly more athletically gifted than any of these guys who couldn't cut it in basketball and switched. LeBron would have been a star in football.

XxXdragonXxX
10-13-2011, 12:34 AM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/319219_10150332303683652_749188651_8229312_8840922 03_n.jpg

Pete Carroll recruiting LeBron on twitter.

Caulibflower
10-13-2011, 01:12 AM
Photo removed to conserve space

What if Kam Chancellor hit him too hard in practice?

Brothgar
10-13-2011, 01:39 AM
LBJ has to go to philly all hype no championship sounds like philly to me.

49erNation85
10-13-2011, 01:46 AM
another big bust even in Seattle.

wogitalia
10-13-2011, 02:16 AM
He does have the physical talent to play nearly ever position.

I could easily see him as a beastly DE on defense. I could just as easily see him as an uncover-able TE on offense.

Don't buy it for a second. He would be a WR and that is about it, doesn't have the physicality to play anywhere else. This is a guy who despite being a physical freak refuses to add a post game that would allow him to dominate and really the only logical explanations are that he is either lazy or doesn't have the physicality. Given how much other areas of his game have improved you have to draw the second conclusion.

I ruled out him being incredibly stupid, nothing he has done, outside of refusing to add a postgame, indicates that his brain is any less than fully functional.

Doesn't mean he couldn't be a hell of a receiver, Randy Moss had a great career without ever being very physical and he is a freakish athlete(He'd be a freakish athlete if he was 6' so being 6'9 is just a bonus)

SolidGold
10-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Don't buy it for a second. He would be a WR and that is about it, doesn't have the physicality to play anywhere else. This is a guy who despite being a physical freak refuses to add a post game that would allow him to dominate and really the only logical explanations are that he is either lazy or doesn't have the physicality. Given how much other areas of his game have improved you have to draw the second conclusion.

I ruled out him being incredibly stupid, nothing he has done, outside of refusing to add a postgame, indicates that his brain is any less than fully functional.

Doesn't mean he couldn't be a hell of a receiver, Randy Moss had a great career without ever being very physical and he is a freakish athlete(He'd be a freakish athlete if he was 6' so being 6'9 is just a bonus)

Not to mention he comes off as pretty soft mentally.

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Another league where LeBron would draw every call.

descendency
10-13-2011, 08:29 AM

Shouldn't that says "James"?

Unbiased
10-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Shouldn't that says "James"?

No one would get it.

descendency
10-13-2011, 09:08 AM
No one would get it.

make it #6 or #23...

Sloopy
10-13-2011, 01:29 PM

As a Cavs fan I am all for LBJ bashing but I cannot tell a lie, this is crap.

He's extremely physical, his lack of a post game is because he fancies himself to be an oversized point guard. When LBJ drives to the whole their are few who can stop him. You can put however many bodies you want in the paint and he is going to drive through them like a Mac truck.

I would venture to say though that this physicality and his extreme speed would best suite him as a WR or TE. The guy is probably the fastest player in the NBA baseline to baseline.

now that was extremely painful to say, please don't make me defend this point further...

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Why would LeBron need a post game when he can just drive to the rim every time? I feel like you're taking away one of the strongest parts of his game just for the sake of trying to add another one. LeBron doesn't need a post game although he would be a better player with one and that's a scary thought. It's like saying Blake Griffin needs to work on his mid range jumper.

prock
10-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Why would LeBron need a post game when he can just drive to the rim every time? I feel like you're taking away one of the strongest parts of his game just for the sake of trying to add another one. LeBron doesn't need a post game although he would be a better player with one and that's a scary thought. It's like saying Blake Griffin needs to work on his mid range jumper.

That is a terrible comparison. You can't always get to the rim. No one can stop Lebron in the post. I don't want to turn this into a basketball thread, but saying a post game is worthless for Lebron is a completely clueless thing to say.

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 01:59 PM
That is a terrible comparison. You can't always get to the rim. No one can stop Lebron in the post. I don't want to turn this into a basketball thread, but saying a post game is worthless for Lebron is a completely clueless thing to say.
I'll rephrase, he doesn't need to rely on a post game as much as others would because of other strengths of his.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/7/73/20110128203738%21Trollface.png

I'm completely clueless when it comes to the NBA.

CC.SD
10-13-2011, 02:08 PM

Here we go. BTW it's borderline impossible to always drive into the paint, teams always pack it especially in crunch time. Blake could use a mid range jumper btw because the threat of it loosens up the defense and gives him more room to operate.

prock
10-13-2011, 02:09 PM
He doesn't need to rely on it, but adding that dimension added would make him THE most unstoppable force the NBA has seen since Jordan. Without it he is great, with it, oh man, I shutter...

bigbluedefense
10-13-2011, 02:10 PM
He'd be a monster WR who caught everything his way....

....until the game is on the line. Then he'll buckle under pressure and drop the pass.

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 02:11 PM
He doesn't need to rely on it, but adding that dimension added would make him THE most unstoppable force the NBA has seen since Jordan. Without it he is great, with it, oh man, I shutter...
I might not know about NBA, but what I do know is that LeBron certainly doesn't need a post game as evidenced by his career so far.

CC.SD
10-13-2011, 02:14 PM
I might not know about NBA, but what I do know is that LeBron certainly doesn't need a post game as evidenced by his career so far.

I don't know his career is starting to become defined by being worthless in the clutch, but post games will always give you a chance to score. You can't always drive but if you can post up your man, you'll never be shut out of the game.

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Lebron would probably be a better hockey player, where this isn't a 4th quarter of play.

CC.SD
10-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Lebron would probably be a better hockey player, where this isn't a 4th quarter of play.

I don't know they might throw banana peels at him or somethign awful like that. I think he should be a professional skater instead.

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't know they might throw banana peels at him or somethign awful like that. I think he should be a professional skater instead.
Clearly the only sport for him is track and field.

prock
10-13-2011, 02:20 PM
I would say he should have just gone into business, but he would bankrupt the company Oct-Dec.

CC.SD
10-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Clearly the only sport for him is track and field.

or maybe just like an old timey warrior. Lebron v. Achilles

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 02:25 PM
or maybe just like an old timey warrior. Lebron v. Achilles
He can't finish his opponents so he'd die.

prock
10-13-2011, 02:26 PM
He can't finish his opponents so he'd die.

Yeah, Lebron vs Achillies couldn't happen because Lebron would be Achilles.

Breed
10-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Another successful thread by myself

Caulibflower
10-13-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't think he would be physical enough to play in the NFL. He's not even physical enough for the NBA.

Caulibflower
10-13-2011, 02:34 PM

http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/128974465777397235.jpg

CC.SD
10-13-2011, 02:47 PM

http://a2.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/14/ad92da7895431916fe270f583323d1e6/m.jpg

jth1331
10-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Athletes that go through everything to actually be WR's can't even make it, and all of a sudden people think Lebron would be a great WR/TE?
Can he make a cut in a route? Can he actually run a route? How are his hands, and how about catching a ball in traffic?
How about getting up from a hit from a nasty LB or safety?
There's rumors apparently from when he played in High School he was afraid of contact.
I just find it very hard to believe he'd be able to just step on the field right away and dominate.

10-13-2011, 04:25 PM
There's no contact in the NFL to be afraid of.

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 04:26 PM
There's no contact in the NFL to be afraid of.
Goodell sacking your wallet?

Sloopy
10-13-2011, 05:39 PM
I don't think he would be physical enough to play in the NFL. He's not even physical enough for the NBA.

I know this is a football forum and so I'm really trying not to harp on this (and again it really pains me so please stop) but where is this myth that LBJ isn't physical coming from? Is it from the fact that he is nearly unstoppable driving to the whole? Is it the fact that he gets fouled almost every time he does so yet finishes it and then puts up the and 1? Is it his 6' 8" 250 Lb. frame? (What should he do?)

I have A LOT of knocks I could put out there on the man (however this isnt a basketball forum) but questioning his physicality is not one of them.

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 06:02 PM
I know this is a football forum and so I'm really trying not to harp on this (and again it really pains me so please stop) but where is this myth that LBJ isn't physical coming from? Is it from the fact that he is nearly unstoppable driving to the whole? Is it the fact that he gets fouled almost every time he does so yet finishes it and then puts up the and 1? Is it his 6' 8" 250 Lb. frame? (What should he do?)

I have A LOT of knocks I could put out there on the man (however this isnt a basketball forum) but questioning his physicality is not one of them.
It's his defense. This I do know to be false because his defense is pretty awesome.

Complex
10-13-2011, 06:06 PM
It's his defense. This I do know to be false because his defense is pretty awesome.

He is one of the better defenders in the NBA....

Brent
10-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Is it the fact that he gets fouled almost every time he does so yet finishes it and then puts up the and 1?
I don't think a guy hitting your forearm when you're dunking really compares to someone tackling you.

Sloopy
10-13-2011, 07:48 PM
I don't think a guy hitting your forearm when you're dunking really compares to someone tackling you.

I'm sure that being 6' 8" 250 Lbs might help him be resilient to some tackling.

Caulibflower
10-13-2011, 08:20 PM

STAAAAAAAAAAAAATS. TRIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAANGLE NUUUUUUUUMBEEEEEERS.

wogitalia
10-13-2011, 08:26 PM

Such a bad arguement as has been pointed out but the main reason is that you seem to think that being good in the post would mean he couldn't do the other things.

It would be like having a DE who has one incredible pass rush move and him never trying to add any counter moves or additional moves. Sure when you get a matchup that can't stop his move he is a beast but when you take it away from him he isn't very effective. LeBron not adding a post game is the same as that, he could be completely unstoppable in the post and it wouldn't take anything away from the rest of his game, he'd still have that.

Athletes that go through everything to actually be WR's can't even make it, and all of a sudden people think Lebron would be a great WR/TE?
Can he make a cut in a route? Can he actually run a route? How are his hands, and how about catching a ball in traffic?

Randy Moss had a pretty damn good career running two routes because he was bigger, faster and could outjump everyone trying to defend him. LeBron would be fine and could certainly contribute, there are a lot of similarities in being effective driving a basketball to running a route and given his elite agility in basketball I don't see why he'd struggle with routes. He is not going to be an elite route runner though, he would be an incredible blend of Moss and CJ(no he wouldn't be on their level but that style) where he would run past people and outjump people for high balls.

Honestly, there is just no physical reason he couldn't be a very handy receiver and with dedication he could probably be a pretty good one. He would be a finesse player, no doubt there, but with his physical skills there is no reason he can't play WR.

He is a finesse player who happens to be very strong. If LeBron was physical he would have a post game by now, literally the only reasons I can see for that not existing still, despite everyone telling him he needs one, are a ridiculous level of stupidity, a complete lack of desire to win or a lack of physicality. He does not strike me as being on the level of stupid it would require to not realise/hear what everyone else can see, he doesn't strike me as lazy or not interested in winning, especially after doing something he knew would bring ridicule and making a super team. Really only leaves the other one.

Even his defense is not physical, he is a great help defender who uses his stupid range and athletic ability to get in passing lanes and affect shots but he is not a physical defender at all.

I'm not saying he is soft, that is a whole different level to not being physical, but LeBron doesn't box out well, he doesn't like playing in the post at either end, he basically doesn't like doing any of the physical things in basketball. If he doesn't want to do those things in basketball I struggle to see him being a guy who is going to run crossing patterns over the middle or play as a TE who is anything but a glorified WR.

I don't think he will have any problems with that either, he would be a WR because that is the position that suits him best but I don't see him trucking people either or being a guy that will take hits to get the ball going over the middle. He would basically be a bigger Randy Moss for mine in how he would have to play.

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 11:04 PM
He is one of the better defenders in the NBA....
Someone missed the white text even when quoting me.

yo123
10-13-2011, 11:30 PM
STAAAAAAAAAAAAATS. TRIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAANGLE NUUUUUUUUMBEEEEEERS.

Ignoring them completely is just as bad as using them exclusively.

jayceheathman
10-14-2011, 01:25 AM
I hope he goes for the NFL and Kobe leaves for overseas. That would start getting Stern to negotiate more.

Caulibflower
10-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Ignoring them completely is just as bad as using them exclusively.

Fair enough. I'm really not debating his athletic ability, and I would definitely be glued to the TV if he actually gave the NFL a real shot.

But.

He just doesn't really strike me as having a football player's disposition. And I'm not talking about the way he talks to the media, I'm talking about the way he plays his sport. Others have mentioned it. I watched all the Finals games this year, and on his own sports greatest stage, he was not aggressive. Also, I don't think there's a chance in hell he really does attempt to play in the NFL. I think he's just saying it so people like us will talk about it. He just wants to hear people saying, "LeBron is 6'8" 250...and he could play WIDE RECEIVER! He would be UNSTOPPABLE!!!" But even in those clips we've seen of him playing high school football, he didn't look unstoppable then. He actually looks kinda slow, kind of a loping running who didn't have a whole lot of quickness, and yet wasn't extremely physical either, given how physical he could have been with his size. And of course, he's going to have been working out with professional trainers for years now, so those high school plays might simply be irrelevant and he's now much faster and quicker. I don't know. He'd be the biggest (no pun tended...initially) diva wide receiver in the NFL. And he probably wouldn't be clutch.

prock
10-14-2011, 04:17 AM
How the **** is Lebron not physical enough for the NFL when you have players like Asante Samuel and Desean Jackson in the league?

tjsunstein
10-14-2011, 08:23 AM
How the **** is Lebron not physical enough for the NFL when you have players like Asante Samuel and Desean Jackson in the league?
Marvin Harrison made a career of falling after the catch.

K Train
10-14-2011, 08:39 AM
he could have played any sport he wanted, hes that athletic, just a giganticly fast man....that being said, the NFL isnt something you pick up in your mid 20s just cause your big, strong, and can run fast...he committed his life to basketball and pro football isnt really an option at this point.

he could have been a DE, TE, WR....damn

wogitalia
10-14-2011, 10:15 AM

It's not that he isn't physical enough to play NFL, it's that he wouldn't be a good TE and would be very limited in his role as a result of his lack of physicality.

he could have played any sport he wanted, hes that athletic, just a giganticly fast man....that being said, the NFL isnt something you pick up in your mid 20s just cause your big, strong, and can run fast...he committed his life to basketball and pro football isnt really an option at this point.

Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates both come to mind as converts, Graham in particular is a similar type of size and not close to the athlete that LeBron is and he is doing pretty damn well. The notable difference is that Graham was a damn physical player at Miami compared to Bron but no reason Bron couldn't run similar routes from WR that Graham does and be a tough matchup for most corners.

PoopSandwich
10-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Living in Ohio and hearing people talk about this when he was with the Cavs was the most annoying **** in the world.

"Guaranteed he would be a hall of famer and the best wide receiver ever, you couldn't cover him and he would catch every ball thrown his way"

People were saying he would be better than Calvin Johnson etc. It was so ******* obnoxious.

prock
10-14-2011, 11:42 AM
6'8" 250 and fast as ****? A tough matchup is selling him short.

tjsunstein
10-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Put him right next to Luck in the 2012 Hall of Fame of Hypotheticals.

CC.SD
10-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Put him right next to Luck in the 2012 Hall of Fame of Hypotheticals.

The Samardzija effect

10-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Asante is a corner, and Desean Jackson is the quickest guy in the league. Harrison was also one of the quickest guys in the league when he played. No one is projecting LeBron to play DB. Besides, if people are talking about LeBron being so great at football, is Asante Samuel really an example to bring up? Although, he did drop an easy pick in the 4th Q of the SB. I like that comparison.

As for Desean and Harrison, those guys were/are small and quick. Desean uses his spectacular speed to blow past guys and Harrison did that too, when he wasn't using his quickness to beat opponents to the sideline. LeBron James is 6'8" and like 260 pounds, he's not gonna be able to outquick any DBs that don't have horses on their helmets.

Also let's just get rid of the notion that LeBron is THAT fast. He's very fast for a basketball player. He was rumoured to run a 4.5 40 out of high school. As we know, rumoured times aren't dependable, and that was almost 30 pounds ago. Almost every DB in the league is faster than that, anyway. Obviously he has a tremendous advantage in height and leaping ability, but he's not a Calvin Johnson/Randy Moss on steroids. He has the tools to be a Jermichael Finley on steroids, which is obviously very very good. But that's where his questionable physicality comes in. Is he gonna be able to take the hits? He takes the hits on the court, sure, but those are love taps. And he still wines about every one of them.

Leon Sandcastle
10-15-2011, 07:16 PM
QB-Steve Nash

Backup: Jason Kidd, Jrue Holiday

RB-Chris Paul

Backup: Tony Parker, JJ Barea

WR: Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, Derrick Rose, John Wall

TE: Carmelo Anthony

Backup: Shane Battier

LT: Paul Milsap

LG: Brandon Bass

C: Tyler Hansborough

RG: Kris Humphries

RT: Big Baby Davis

DE: Blake Griffin

DT: Kevin Love

DT: Serge Ibaka

DE: LeBron James

OLB: Eric Gordon

ILB: DeRon Williams

OLB: Rodney Stuckey

CB: Rajon Rondo

FS: Monta Ellis

SS: Tony Allen

CB: Stephon Curry

K: Adam Morrison

P: Spencer Hawes

LS: Brian Scalabrine

KR: JR Smith

PR: Aaron Brooks

HC: Charlie Ward

Rabscuttle
10-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Just wanting attention. Next month he will leak a sex tape with him and Lady Gaga pistol whipping each other.

Caulibflower
10-15-2011, 09:52 PM
I'd rather have Blake Griffin as a tight end than LeBron. Not even close.

Sloopy
10-16-2011, 10:02 AM

This I would absolutely have to agree with, his ability to elevate is insane. Dude seems to float through the air when the ball gets thrown up to him.

prock
10-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Lebron is good at jumping too

tjsunstein
10-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Josh Smith is 6'9 240, where would you guys play him on the football field?
Just kidding, I don't care.

A Perfect Score
10-16-2011, 11:54 AM

Wedge captain on kick return?

Babylon
10-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Lebron is good at jumping too

Yeah, jumping ship.

Miaoww
10-19-2011, 08:49 AM
It'd be like when the Panthers used to split Julius Peppers out wide around the goal line. He used to tower over corners. Just send James on a fade every play!

How many catches did Peppers have? Zero?

LionofDetroit
10-19-2011, 03:43 PM
...there is no way.

mqtirishfan
10-19-2011, 04:03 PM

Because the only thing better than a 6'9 TE would be a 7 footer...

10-19-2011, 08:37 PM

Probably field goal blocker. And Free Safety.

PoopSandwich
10-19-2011, 08:55 PM
LeBron should just wait to see what happens with the NBA then sign with some team that's guaranteed to make the playoffs. Would be pretty epic.

Shane P. Hallam
10-19-2011, 09:09 PM
I say LeBron to Punter

robert pancake gallery
10-19-2011, 11:03 PM
i wonder if he pondered playing receiver for ponder and the vikings

OSUGiants17
11-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Forget Baby Bron Bron, KD is legit

IOIa20l6SXo&feature=player_embedded

PackerLegend
11-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Forget Baby Bron Bron, KD is legit

Hmmm I wouldnt call flag football legit but hey its a start I guess.

11-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Flag Football is more than LeBron has done football wise since 10th grade.

But KD could only be a kicker. Because if you put the average NFL kicker on one of those medieval stretch tables and then made him black, he would look like Kevin Durant.