PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Al Davis

diabsoule
10-08-2011, 09:23 AM
http://www.raiders.com/

Wow. The organization never let on he was sick or ill.

bored of education
10-08-2011, 09:24 AM
delete this thread I started it!

Splat
10-08-2011, 09:27 AM
I knew it was bound to happen and now that is has I'm kinda of in shock.

As a Chiefs fan I always hated him but as a NFL fan I have alot of respect for what he meant to the NFL.

RIP.

Rabscuttle
10-08-2011, 09:42 AM
So far. it's just the Raiders' site and ESPN referring to the page. Just a bitter employee on his way out that should know better than to mess with an arch-lich.

Matthew Jones
10-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Wow. Believe it or not, Al Davis was one of my favorite owners. Actually cared about his team and was always willing to sign off on big free agents, etc. He will be missed. RIP.

Da-Phins
10-08-2011, 09:48 AM
One of the saddest days in NFL history. RIP to great man.

diabsoule
10-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Raiders obituary for Al Davis
http://www.raiders.com/history/al-davis.html

bearsfan_51
10-08-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm sure he'll find a way to keep drafting players from the grave. Important man. Respect.

bearsfan_51
10-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Any idea who the owner of the Raiders is now?

bored of education
10-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Mark Davis, Al's son inherits control of the team.

senormysterioso
10-08-2011, 09:59 AM
He left the Raiders in a pretty good spot, they're a young and upward trending team. Campbell will hold them over, but they're a franchise quarterback away from being legitimate contenders.

NIN1984
10-08-2011, 09:59 AM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/DaRaidersEdge/thankyoual.png

Thank you, Al. I'll miss you.

vidae
10-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Wow, total shock. The NFL lost a great one today.

Giantsfan1080
10-08-2011, 10:03 AM
I bet some Raiders fans are happy.

Borat
10-08-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm pretty sure he died a few years ago. They've been rolling him around like it was Weekend at Bernie's.

This is a good thing for the Raiders.

yanksknicks
10-08-2011, 10:10 AM
He is on the Mount Rushmore of the NFL no doubt.

RIP to a Brooklyn homie.

Thecollegedropout
10-08-2011, 10:10 AM
The guy was crazy/delusional as far as some football ideals go and some Raider fans might be happy as heck with him gone, but man that guy was passionate about his Raiders and constantly invested his money and time with the team over the years to help them.

I would not be shocked to see Oakland win the AFC West this year now in tribute to Al, I would hate to play them tomorrow as Houston is going to feel the force of a spirited team. Maybe even see Hue Jackson dial up a long bomb to DHB or Moore in tribute since Al loved to sling it deep.

On a side note, Ralph Wilson of Buffalo must have been blessed with some kind of genes.

RealityCheck
10-08-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm speechless. Davis meant a lot to the NFL and the league wouldn't be where it is now without his work. We'll surely miss his crazy decisions and jokes about speeeedzzz.

Rest in peace, Al.

yanksknicks
10-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Really sad how alleged football fans can only recall the Al Davis of the last 10 years.

Like remembering Ali based on Larry Holmes.

No respect. Educate yourselves kids. Paul Brown, Rozelle, Lombardi, Al Davis, Landry, Walsh, Coryell ........ these guys invented the NFL.

jrdrylie
10-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Al Davis did some great things for the NFL. Unfortunately, a lot if younger fans are going to remember him as a crazy guy who looked like the crypt keeper, fired more coaches than anyone not named George Steinbrenner, and drafted based solely on the 40-yard dash. I wonder if his son will still make all the personnel moves or will they finally hire a GM?

bearsfan_51
10-08-2011, 10:17 AM
He is on the Mount Rushmore of the NFL no doubt.

RIP to a Brooklyn homie.
No doubt?

1) Pete Rozelle
2) Vince Lombardi
3) George Halas
4) Art Rooney/ Bill Walsh/ Joe Montana/ Jerry Rice/ Tom Brady/ Brett Favre/ Walter Payton/ Jim Brown/ Barry Sanders

A Perfect Score
10-08-2011, 10:18 AM
For all the jokes he suffered towards the end of his tenure, you're talking about one of the most historic, iconic, and influential people in the history of the NFL. In fact, it's easy to say without Al Davis the merger may never have happened and the NFL as we know it wouldn't exist. I do think he should have ceded control of his team as he went on in years, but it's really hard to fault a great man for continuing to do what he loved. He bled black and silver and my thoughts go out to his family. Truly a great presence in the history of the NFL.

cvv84
10-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Al Davis's hearse has been suped up to run a 9.78 quarter mile

bearsfan_51
10-08-2011, 10:27 AM
For all the jokes he suffered towards the end of his tenure, you're talking about one of the most historic, iconic, and influential people in the history of the NFL. In fact, it's easy to say without Al Davis the merger may never have happened and the NFL as we know it wouldn't exist. I do think he should have ceded control of his team as he went on in years, but it's really hard to fault a great man for continuing to do what he loved. He bled black and silver and my thoughts go out to his family. Truly a great presence in the history of the NFL.
Al Davis wasn't even invited to the meeting where the two leagues merged.

FuzzyGopher
10-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Al Davis did some great things for the NFL. Unfortunately, a lot if younger fans are going to remember him as a crazy guy who looked like the crypt keeper, fired more coaches than anyone not named George Steinbrenner, and drafted based solely on the 40-yard dash. I wonder if his son will still make all the personnel moves or will they finally hire a GM?

Any recent criticisms of him are pretty well deserved. He made some atrocious decisions over the past decade or so and mismanaged that franchise into futility. That shouldn't mean that people should discredit his early contributions to the league but holy crap did he do some highly questionable things in his career.

bored of education
10-08-2011, 10:32 AM
No doubt?

1) Pete Rozelle
2) Vince Lombardi
3) George Halas
4) Art Rooney/ Bill Walsh/ Joe Montana/ Jerry Rice/ Tom Brady/ Brett Favre/ Walter Payton/ Jim Brown/ Barry Sanders

Lamar Hunt

Razor
10-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Wow, never saw this coming. RIP coach Davis. Anybody knows what he did from?

MidwayMonster31
10-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Say what you will about the guy, but he sure accomplished a lot and did a lot for the league.

EvilNixon
10-08-2011, 10:52 AM
I bet some Raiders fans are happy.

Anyone who follows the team knows it's more than just his fault.

EvilNixon
10-08-2011, 10:53 AM
http://www.raiders.com/

Wow. The organization never let on he was sick or ill.

He didn't go to the Bills game, which was very very surprising, but no one knew how close.

FlyingElvis
10-08-2011, 11:21 AM
RIP Mr. Davis.

A shrewd and brilliant owner who is due major respect.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Crazy stuff. RIP Al.

Beano
10-08-2011, 11:53 AM
You can't do a decent history of the NFL without mentioning Al Davis. The NFL lost not only one of it's greatest contributors, but also one of the truly great characters in sport.

RIP.

D-Unit
10-08-2011, 11:54 AM
RIP. I gasped when I saw the news just now on the ESPN ticker.

What a great life he had. Can't think of too many other owners who love/loved their team as much as Al loved the Raiders. One thing you can say about him is that he did things his way.

It's a new dawn of Raiders football.

bigbuc
10-08-2011, 12:02 PM
I thing you can say about AL is he did it his way... RIP

RaiderNation
10-08-2011, 12:04 PM
The RaiderNation knew this was coming soon, he looked awful at his last press conference and was rarely seen over the past months. Couple years ago I'd be happy about this, but I wish Al would have been able to see what this team could develop into.

Just Win Baby
RIP

BeerBaron
10-08-2011, 12:14 PM
There will be plenty of speedzz and funky 70s track suits waiting for him in football heaven.

RIP Al.

FUNBUNCHER
10-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Kinda was hoping that old man would live forever.
Always have been a closet Raiders fan even as a kid.

A renegade who helped build the game from the ground up that we all know and love. Stubborn, arrogant and a champion.

What did he die from?? And someone please don't clown and say 'old age'.

Just win baby.

BeerBaron
10-08-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm fairly certain he had been battling some form of skin cancer, not sure if that is what did it or not.

Nothing I've read so far says, but one article on PFT says that the team will announce a full statement later today:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/08/raiders-statement-coming-regarding-passing-of-al-davis/

Ness
10-08-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm pretty sure he died a few years ago. They've been rolling him around like it was Weekend at Bernie's.

This is a good thing for the Raiders.

God I burst out laughing when I saw that first sentence.

Seriously though, I bet some Raiders fans are kind of happy about this. Oakland can finally start getting back on track now.

Ness
10-08-2011, 12:30 PM
There will be plenty of speedzz and funky 70s track suits waiting for him in football heaven.

RIP Al.

I can't get the Autumn Raider NFL Films song out of my head right now.

BeerBaron
10-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Since you brought it up:

mn9AxPut5sk&

Ness
10-08-2011, 12:55 PM
http://readandreact.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/vader-davis.jpg

Ness
10-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Too bad Al Davis and his relationship with Marcus Allen was never that great.

slightlyaraiderfan
10-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Wow, i don't really know what to say...still in shock. I was one of those who disagreed with a lot his recent decisions, but this is still depressing. He will be missed. RIP

V.I.P
10-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Wow, never saw this coming.

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

DoughBoy
10-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Rest in peace Al. The NFL and especially us at SWDC are going to miss the fun you brought to the game. What a wonderful life you lived.

Raiderz4Life
10-08-2011, 12:59 PM
RIP Al.

I'm still in shock. Really not sure what to think. Imma miss the crazy old man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E74dX1ZJM0Q

Couldn't tag it =/

Nikolas
10-08-2011, 01:27 PM
http://readandreact.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/vader-davis.jpg

Al Davis makes Darth Vader look like a wimp. Hunter S. Thompson

I truly wish I had such an awesome quote about me from Hunter S Thompson.

A Perfect Score
10-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Hunter S. Thompson was quite honestly one of the most perceptive individuals of the last few decades as far as I'm concerned, and I've never heard that quote before. Thats awesome.

Stash
10-08-2011, 01:33 PM

Nope, Chuck Testa.

RIP to Al. A long time ago, in a galaxy, far, far, away, you did some great things for the game of footWOOOOOOHOOOOOO!! Sorry, had to get that out. Can we have a GM now?

Stay classy, Stash.

Complex
10-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Long pass to DHB in Al Davis honor.

R.I.P

MetSox17
10-08-2011, 02:04 PM

And boom goes the dynamite.

hawkeye123
10-08-2011, 02:08 PM
R.I.P Al Davis

I wonder who takes over the GM spot now.

A Perfect Score
10-08-2011, 02:09 PM

This is very true. I was speaking more about the influence Davis had once he took over as commissioner of the AFL. After he took over, the AFL began to rise to prominence in a way that it never had before, which in turn forced the NFL's hand in creating a merger. Without Davis and his vision of what the AFL could have been, it very well may have just toiled in mediocrity as the NFL grew larger and larger. Davis may not have been there at the meeting when they concluded the merger, but he certainly had a huge influence in getting the leagues to that point and, by extension, where we are today.

BeerBaron
10-08-2011, 02:23 PM

R.I.P

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2009/11/13/sp-RAIDERS_024_C_0500764853.jpg

Nope.

BeerBaron
10-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Nope, Chuck Testa.

RIP to Al. A long time ago, in a galaxy, far, far, away, you did some great things for the game of footWOOOOOOHOOOOOO!! Sorry, had to get that out. Can we have a GM now?

The internet is already way ahead of you:

http://geekton.atodev3.com//HLIC/6e534ea8010e93d07ba670cc556065ef.jpg

jayceheathman
10-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Somebody needs to run a 4.1 40 in his honor.

OSUGiants17
10-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Raiders will win the West in his honor

tjsunstein
10-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Raiders were going to win the West regardless.

Caulibflower
10-08-2011, 03:54 PM
I kinda hope the Raiders just keep drafting triangle players. Makes the combine more exciting.

boknows34
10-08-2011, 04:06 PM
A pioneer, rebel, maverick, innovator and icon. RIP Al Davis. The NFL and Oakland Raiders will never be the same without you.

http://www.achievement.org/achievers/roz0/large/roz0-003.jpg

http://www.profootballhof.com/assets/photo_galleries/630x536/Davis_Al_induction.jpg

h2jdM2fl1Jc

LookItsAlDavis
10-08-2011, 04:09 PM
I feel like I should change my name now...Anyway, Al wasn't at that meeting because it was held behind his back. He didn't want the merger because he felt the AFL could have become a better league than the NFL. Just look around and read a few articles about him and you will see that yes, he belongs on the "Mount Rushmore" of the NFL, right up there with Halas, Brown, Landry, Lombardi, and Walsh.

BloodBrother
10-08-2011, 04:11 PM
He became a punchline of jokes the last few years but the guy did a lot for the NFL and was a brilliant football mind back in the day

Definitely a big loss for football. RIP Big Al

TheMorningZoo
10-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Growing up in the 90's I hated the Raiders. Hell I even hated the Raiders in the early '00's (essentially before their recent struggles, Chucky era). I never liked Al Davis and while I might be too young (24) I mainly remember him as the senile, crazy, old man who drafted based off triangle numbers and signed big name FA's who never panned out in Oakland (obvious reasons). Within these recent years ('03-recent), I like most felt that Oakland wouldn't turn the corner until Al croaked. I was wrong however, the Raiders may be a young team, but they play physical and are only a few pieces away from contending (playoffs, etc, not "crowning" them yet). That being said Al has done a lot for the NFL (before my time once again), so I give him and his family-hell raider nation too condolences.

bearsfan_51
10-08-2011, 06:08 PM
I feel like I should change my name now...Anyway, Al wasn't at that meeting because it was held behind his back. He didn't want the merger because he felt the AFL could have become a better league than the NFL. Just look around and read a few articles about him and you will see that yes, he belongs on the "Mount Rushmore" of the NFL, right up there with Halas, Brown, Landry, Lombardi, and Walsh.
You realize that Mount Rushmore only has four people, right?

I know why. Someone brought up the AFL-NFL merger as if Davis was the main proponent behind it (when it was Rozelle and Lamar Hunt). Davis was actually against arguably the best move in NFL history.

He was an innovator and way ahead of his time in terms of race relations. I give him massive credit for that.

bearsfan_51
10-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Also, it's not a loss for football. I'm sorry, but it's not. If Al Davis had simply retired, NOBODY would say it was a loss.

It's just like Michael Jackson. People were sad when he died because he used to be amazing twenty years ago. Lets remember Al Davis for the great mind he used to be, but don't pretend this doesn't immediately improve the Raiders and the NFL.

Raiderz4Life
10-08-2011, 06:21 PM
I can see the Raiders but I fail to see how his death improves the NFL. Are they all the sudden going to let the players hit? Let defenses do what they're supposed to? Just because Al died are they now going to return the kickoff to where it was originally?

If anything it takes away from the NFL. EVERYONE knows Al Davis. Even if he was the butt of jokes towards the end, he was an icon, he provided different angles and a spark to the NFL. He wasn't afraid to do his own thing and that made things interesting.

Xonraider
10-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Also, it's not a loss for football. I'm sorry, but it's not. If Al Davis had simply retired, NOBODY would say it was a loss.

It's just like Michael Jackson. People were sad when he died because he used to be amazing twenty years ago. Lets remember Al Davis for the great mind he used to be, but don't pretend this doesn't immediately improve the Raiders and the NFL.

But, he did not retire. Whenever you lose an owner and general manager of any team, it is a loss for football. And perhaps he does not belong in the Mt. Rushmore of the NFL but it is certain that he is one of the biggest contributors in the history of the league.

BeerBaron
10-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Raiders were going to win the West regardless.

This is false. No team with Jason Campbell at QB will ever win a division.

bearsfan_51
10-08-2011, 06:32 PM
I can see the Raiders but I fail to see how his death improves the NFL. Are they all the sudden going to let the players hit? Let defenses do what they're supposed to? Just because Al died are they now going to return the kickoff to where it was originally?

If anything it takes away from the NFL. EVERYONE knows Al Davis. Even if he was the butt of jokes towards the end, he was an icon, he provided different angles and a spark to the NFL. He wasn't afraid to do his own thing and that made things interesting.
The Raiders haven't been interesting since 2002. They can't even fill out their own stadium much of the time, because the product has been so pathetic that nobody cares.

My point is that people are only saying this because he's dead. Raiders fans were openly praying that he would die before it actually happened.

bearsfan_51
10-08-2011, 06:33 PM
I mean, it would be interesting if a chicken ran an NFL franchise too, but that doesn't make it good for the NFL.

A Perfect Score
10-08-2011, 06:57 PM
The Raiders haven't been interesting since 2002. They can't even fill out their own stadium much of the time, because the product has been so pathetic that nobody cares.

My point is that people are only saying this because he's dead. Raiders fans were openly praying that he would die before it actually happened.

People have a tendency to canonize individuals after they pass, but I think it's naive to try and take away from what Davis contributed to the NFL during his heydey. Even in my original post where I lamented his lost I admitted he should have given up control of his team much sooner, or at least attempted to break from established losing methods. He was a great contributor to the NFL, but you're exactly right in saying this helps the Raiders future more then it hurts it.

RaiderNation
10-08-2011, 07:08 PM
http://www.raiderfans.net/premium/2011/Al_Davis_01182011-post-HUE.mp3

Here is one of Al's final interviews, off the record after hiring Hue Jackson earlier this year. He touches on various subjects like trading Randy Moss, Lane Kiffen, Jon Gruden, firing Tom Cable and others

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-08-2011, 07:25 PM
People have a tendency to canonize individuals after they pass, but I think it's naive to try and take away from what Davis contributed to the NFL during his heydey. Even in my original post where I lamented his lost I admitted he should have given up control of his team much sooner, or at least attempted to break from established losing methods. He was a great contributor to the NFL, but you're exactly right in saying this helps the Raiders future more then it hurts it.
Exactly if Davis had died after the 02 season this disscussion would be so much different. The reality is he was just to old.

Both Halas and Lombardi were superb coaches but please explain how either of them had more of an influence in the NFL than Davis. If anything Halas gets bumped off of Mount Rushmore. You speak of the past 9 seasons and how abysmal they've been what about the 14 consecutive years under Halas's ownership the bears failed to make the playoffs?That's worse than anything Davis did.

Saying that Davis had nothing to do with the merger because he wasn't part of the negotiations is unrealistic. The NFL had been around for decades before the AFL came along. They wouldn't agree to a merger if wasn't for Davis making the AFL a league competing with the NFL.

If your gonna include a player on the Mount Rushmore of football it should be Johnny U. What Ruth did for baseball Johnny did for football.

bearsfan_51
10-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Halas ******* invented the NFL.

Giantsfan1080
10-08-2011, 07:32 PM
No doubt?

1) Pete Rozelle
2) Vince Lombardi
3) George Halas

Lack of Wellington Mara is bad. He was smart enough to realize he should share his NY money to all teams so the league could grow. There is no Packers today without Mara.

San Diego Chicken
10-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Very controversial figure. Arguably one of the great villains in sports in the last century. Once a football man who was ahead of the times who fell behind the times as the years went on. Did things on his terms his way and never apologized for it. His story and the story of his team will always be part of NFL lore whether you admired or hated him.

Sloopy
10-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Wow...
He was one of those guys you never thought you would miss once he was gone but now that he's gone you realize what a hole he will leave... kinda like GRF.

No more annual Al Davis draft day follies threads. It was definitely one of my favorite draft traditions trying to predict what he would do.

BeerBaron
10-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Exactly if Davis had died after the 02 season this disscussion would be so much different. The reality is he was just to old.

Both Halas and Lombardi were superb coaches but please explain how either of them had more of an influence in the NFL than Davis. If anything Halas gets bumped off of Mount Rushmore. You speak of the past 9 seasons and how abysmal they've been what about the 14 consecutive years under Halas's ownership the bears failed to make the playoffs?That's worse than anything Davis did.

Saying that Davis had nothing to do with the merger because he wasn't part of the negotiations is unrealistic. The NFL had been around for decades before the AFL came along. They wouldn't agree to a merger if wasn't for Davis making the AFL a league competing with the NFL.

If your gonna include a player on the Mount Rushmore of football it should be Johnny U. What Ruth did for baseball Johnny did for football.

Your ignorance hurts.

Halas ******* invented the NFL. He's the George ******* Washington of the NFL.

CJSchneider
10-08-2011, 08:03 PM
R.I.P., Al.

http://phinphanatic.com/files/2011/10/al_davis.jpg

FUNBUNCHER
10-08-2011, 08:20 PM
You realize that Mount Rushmore only has four people, right?

I know why. Someone brought up the AFL-NFL merger as if Davis was the main proponent behind it (when it was Rozelle and Lamar Hunt). Davis was actually against arguably the best move in NFL history.

He was an innovator and way ahead of his time in terms of race relations. I give him massive credit for that.

Why do you think all of a sudden the NFL wanted to merge with the 'inferior' AFL?? Because the AFL had become a better product for fans.

The NFL didn't merge with the AFL to do them a favor. It was a strategic move to eliminate an upstart rival that no longer was putting a 2nd rate product on the field.
It's no coincidence the NFL was in favor of merging the two leagues after the AFL Jets beat the NFL Colts in SB III.

I don't think most football fans would have had a problem with two professional football leagues that only met in the championship game.

Also, nearly all the innovations Al Davis made to the game were adopted by the NFL after the merger; multiple game cameras/miked players/offensive driven vertical football/ticket receipts and revenue sharing among all teams/scoreboard clock/names on jerseys.

Al Davis was crazy like a fox and he as much as any one man is responsible for the modern NFL we have today.

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Halas ******* invented the NFL.
No, he wasn't even an owner when the league was founded, the bears were founded the same time the NFL was founded, but other teams were already in existence. He was a great figure in the early days but he did not invent the NFL. Again the impact isn't the same.

BeerBaron
10-08-2011, 08:37 PM
No, he wasn't even an owner when the league was founded, the bears were founded the same time the NFL was founded, but other teams were already in existence. He was a great figure in the early days but he did not invent the NFL. Again the impact isn't the same.

Halas was a player-coach on the Staley's and was the teams representative when they met to form the American Professional Football Association in 1920 then took control of the team a year later.

Additionally:

A pioneer both on and off the field, Halas made the Bears the first team to hold daily practice sessions, to analyze film of opponents to find weaknesses and means of attack, place assistant coaches in the press box during games, and to broadcast games by radio. He also offered to share the team's substantial television income with teams in smaller cities, firmly believing that what was good for the league would ultimately benefit his own team.

I'm done with this argument. Enjoy your blissful ignorance of the history of the league.

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Halas was a player-coach on the Staley's and was the teams representative when they met to form the American Professional Football Association in 1920 then took control of the team a year later.I'm done with this argument. Enjoy your blissful ignorance of the history of the league.And the teams already established and playing before 1920 created the league, Halas was the new guy in an old discussion.

bearsfan_51
10-08-2011, 09:04 PM
*shrug*

If you honestly believe that, knock yourself out. Most people attribute Halas (sometimes alongside Curly Lambeau) as being the most important figure in the early success of the NFL. The HOF voters certainly disagree with you.

They inducted Lamar Hunt into the HOF in 1972, and waited another 20 years to induct Al Davis, which would be the longest wait of almost anyone mentioned.

Ness
10-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Halas didn't invent the NFL by himself. He was a partner that helped bring it together. But he wasn't the guy that "invented" it, as in, it wasn't his idea at all. He basically agreed to be apart of a bigger scheme. Let's get that straight.

The National Football League was the idea of legendary American-Indian Olympic athlete Jim Thorpe, player-coach of the Canton Bulldogs, and Leo Lyons, owner of the Rochester Jeffersons, a sandlot football team. Both the Jeffersons and the Buffalo All-Stars were barnstorming through Ohio at the time. After Lyons's Jeffersons played, and lost badly to, Thorpe's Bulldogs in a 1917 match, Lyons (wanting to build a sport that rivaled Major League Baseball in popularity) suggested to Thorpe that a league be formed.

Ness
10-08-2011, 11:05 PM
The HOF voters certainly disagree with you.

Because the Hall of Fame voters are the end-all-be-all of good decision making. No, there is never any controversy on anything they vote on.

killxswitch
10-08-2011, 11:10 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/DaRaidersEdge/thankyoual.png

Thank you, Al. I'll miss you.

Mark Sanchez is a time traveler!

FUNBUNCHER
10-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Can't believe this thread veered off into the ditch of dissing George Halas.

Wow.

Ness
10-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Can't believe this thread veered off into the ditch of dissing George Halas.

Wow.

It's not so much of a diss as it is more of correcting people that don't know what they're talking about. George Halas didn't invent the NFL. Period.

That doesn't mean Halas wasn't an important figure in the history of the NFL though. But the NFL wasn't his idea.

descendency
10-09-2011, 04:32 AM
I think it's as good of a way to honor the Hall of Fame owner by quoting the soon to be Hall of Fame coach he interviewed in 1998.

Belichick recalled the interview with Davis on Friday, and he remembered the experience fondly.

"It was good experience for me," Belichick said. "We had a good couple days of conversation. I told him when I got out there it really seemed like a waste of time because I felt pretty certain that he wouldn't hire a defensive coach, because he hasn't since Eddie Erdelatz in [1960]. It's a parade of offensive coaches out there. [Davis] is really a defensive coordinator and has been. It was good because we talked a lot about football, and he's very, very knowledgeable about the game, personnel, schemes, adjustments and so forth. He was asking a lot of questions about what we did defensively. You kind of don't want to give too much information there because you know he's running the defense. He wasn't really too interested in talking about offensive football -- a little bit.

"He's a great mind. It was unlike any other interview I've ever had with an owner because he was so in-depth. His interview was so in-depth really about football, about X's and O's, and strategy, and use of personnel, and acquisition of [players]. All the things really that a coach would talk about, that's really what he talked about. That made it pretty unique. But he hired a good coach, Gruden. Which is again, in all honesty, the way that I expected it to go because that's been all the Oakland coaches from Art Shell to Mike White, Joe Bugel, [Mike] Shanahan, you know right down the line, Lane Kiffin, they're all offensive coaches. They have their own way of doing things, which is interesting, but certainly well thought-out and well planned. I'm not saying that in a negative way at all, they just have their own way of doing it. They've had a lot of success.

"It was a great experience for me to have those couple days of conversations with him and also some other members of his organization relative, again, to the overall way of doing things."

I think what's said in that shows how much fans (especially around my age) didn't or don't know about Al Davis.

RIP, Mr Davis.

bearsfan_51
10-09-2011, 08:11 AM
It's not so much of a diss as it is more of correcting people that don't know what they're talking about. George Halas didn't invent the NFL. Period.

That doesn't mean Halas wasn't an important figure in the history of the NFL though. But the NFL wasn't his idea.
I didn't literally mean that he came up with the idea. I meant that he was the most important figure for the fact that the NFL still exists today.

As per the HOF voters: because they aren't perfect, that doesn't mean they can't be brought up?

_YL_
10-09-2011, 10:37 AM
http://touch.lockerz.com/s/145759884

R.I.P. Mr.Davis u will be forever missed but never forgotten.

DraftSavant
10-09-2011, 12:03 PM
I highly doubt Davis would want to be on the NFL Mt. Rushmore anyways. He hated the NFL and never wanted to merge with them. He was livid when the two leagues merged. There's a reason the first Raider Superbowl ring had the old AFL logo on it. Again, he HATED the NFL - I can't stress this enough.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1470/dc0111sb11.jpg

The football fraternity lost an important character. The world exists through narratives - he was the renegade, the villain, and he molded the Raider franchise into his image.

Ness
10-09-2011, 12:10 PM
I didn't literally mean that he came up with the idea. I meant that he was the most important figure for the fact that the NFL still exists today.

As per the HOF voters: because they aren't perfect, that doesn't mean they can't be brought up?
For the Hall of Fame voters, I never said they couldn't be brought up. But let's not throw out lines like "Oh the Hall of Fame voters disagree with you" as if that is some sort of unbeatable ultimatum.

bearsfan_51
10-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Your ability to read intended tone over the internet is overwhelming. Not that I need to say this, but I'm being sarcastic here.

bigbluedefense
10-09-2011, 12:49 PM
The NFL won't be the same without him. RIP. Brilliant mind, will truly be missed.

As for the Mt. Rushmore of the NFL, my personal mountain is:

George Halas
Wellington Mara
Lamar Hunt
Vince Lombardi

Ness
10-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Your ability to read intended tone over the internet is overwhelming. Not that I need to say this, but I'm being sarcastic here.

Okay. Your ability to exaggerate is unrivaled. Oh, but I know you didn't mean exactly what you said.

Caulibflower
10-09-2011, 03:00 PM

R.I.P

And of course, he's tearing **** up today.

nobodyinparticular
10-10-2011, 02:02 AM
Wow. What a win for Mr. Davis today. I have been experiencing an emotional high from the moment Michael Huff came up with the pick in the end zone. I can't even imagine the emotions the Raiders players and staff are feeling as a result of the win. Halfway through the 2nd quarter the Raiders looked to be giving the game away. It was apparent the team came out flat as a result of the emotions of yesterday. I was more afraid the Raiders would come out dazed from the happenings surrounding Al Davis' death than I was expecting them to come out galvanized in the first quarter. However the Raiders recovered and played the Texans very tough the rest of the way pulling off a huge victory. In the end, the Raiders played like Raiders. They fought hard in the trenches, they hit hard, got big plays and had lots of penalties. But the Silver and Black just won baby.

To this point I have purposely stayed away from this thread because of the unrelated arguments that side tracked the real point which should be to celebrate the life of Al Davis as an instrumental piece in AFL and NFL history, an innovator, boundary-breaker and player advocate.

This isn't the place to argue the merits of Al Davis' life and accomplishments in relations to Papa Halas, Lamar Hunt or anyone else. There is a time and a place for those types of comparisons, but in this moment the only comparisons we should make are in stating how instrumental Davis was I'm professional football, just like Halas, Hunt, Lombardi, Mara, Walsh and others. He was an incredible mind, making many great contributions to the game from his offensive ideas to his minority hirings to the way he brought a passion to the game that few other owners had.

Al Davis was an incredible asset to professional football in America over the past five decades. It is a shame that Mr. Davis' life and career ended the way it did. For a man so influential, you would like to see him ride off into the sunset in retirement, finishing his career on top. But that wasn't Mr. Davis. Football was his life force. His veins were probably covered in pigskin and the blood that ran through them was likely mixed with sod and dirt. Make no mistake, retirement was never an option for legend of the Silver and Black. And despite the struggles of the franchise since it's return to Oakland, don't think for a second Al Davis' impact on football ended a decade and a half ago. Dating back as near as the most recent collective bargaining agreement, it was Davis who was instrumental in averting a lockout at the time. Even as Davis' health continued to fail him, Al Davis commanded a presence that when he spoke at the meetings, the other owners listened and responded.

It is only fitting for this man to pass away in the middle of the football season. It wouldn't seem right for Coach Davis to leave this earth when football isn't in the forefront of the sporting world.

There are so many things to be said about such a great man who was a pillar for professional football, but I suspect this post is already too long to maintain the attention of many.

Mr. Davis, thank you for all the contributions you made to the game I have come to love. Thank you for being the incredible asset to the league that I follow so religiously. And thank you for embodying the Silver and Black, the team that I so passionately root for, the team that I will forever see as my family.

Just win baby.

TACKLE
10-10-2011, 08:07 PM
r5CTKlF45Ds

nobodyinparticular
10-12-2011, 01:41 AM
BTW, I just wanted to point out that the Raiders had a .531 winning percentage from 1995 (move back to Oakland) to 2002. If you think Al began to decline earlier than that, they had a .553 winning percentage from 1990-2002. Has it been a rough decade since the loss to Gruden in the Super Bowl? Yes. Did the Raiders from 91-00 have the same kind of success that they had from 1967-1990? No. But no one had that kind of success. Literally, no team had a better winning percentage over that time.

There were lots of things Al could have done better over that time--chief of which would have been playing Marcus Allen from 1989 and on, but let's not pretend the Raiders were bottom feeders for 2 whole decades. They had one year at the bottom of the barrel in 1997, but this was not a two-decade long swoon. The last seven seasons were horrid. Absolutely horrid and among the worst in sports history for a 7-year stretch. But don't pretend the Raiders were just as horrid for a 20-year period apart from the Gruden years. There is a lot more to it than that.

K Train
10-12-2011, 10:37 AM
i kinda thought al davis was going to outlive us all

DraftSavant
10-12-2011, 10:49 AM
There were only 10 men on the field for that final RZ play in HOU, which resulted in an INT.

Al was on the field with them.

Complex
10-12-2011, 11:43 AM
i kinda thought al davis was going to outlive us all

I thought the same thing for some reason.

Breed
10-12-2011, 05:18 PM
The new Raiders owners looks like the love child of Jon Gruden and Al Davis...

http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/mark-davis-2009-nfl-oakland-raiders-houston-0diEnH.jpg

A Perfect Score
10-12-2011, 05:35 PM

http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/mark-davis-2009-nfl-oakland-raiders-houston-0diEnH.jpg

Dear god, look at that bowl cut. Money cannot buy style, ladies and gentlemen. No it cannot.

Raiderz4Life
10-12-2011, 05:40 PM

I always wondered what happened to him after his baseball career.

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n551/wrestlerj91/1565_5.jpg