PDA

View Full Version : Lavonte David, OLB Nebraska

bucfan12
10-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Prospect I'm keeping an eye on at the moment is Lavonte David, OLB from Nebraska. He seems very fast and instinctive, but he's 6'1, 225. Is he too small to be a starting WLB in this league?

princefielder28
10-08-2011, 07:53 PM
I don't think he's too small...the guy is a tackling machine!

Ozzy
10-09-2011, 06:40 AM
Yeah a lot of people like him, the kid is a star college linebacker, is all over the field. As for being too small? Well I doubt that, he can gain maybe 10 pounds and he is fine, he is not really a weak linebacker, compact, quick, Ernie Sims was pretty small on Florida State and he had some great years in the NFL. He will get a chance on a defense like the Colts, Tampa, or maybe Minnesota. Never in a 3/4 I don't think, but who knows, kid is playing like a 1st round pick but will probably be a 2nd rounder.

Iamcanadian
10-09-2011, 06:43 AM
He's fast and quick but he looks to me like he cannot be 225lbs. Looks more like a 215 lber. His is slight of build and I doubt he can gain weight. If he can keep 225lbs on his body, he will go round 2 otherwise he'll slip.

rawdawg
10-09-2011, 08:29 AM
I agree, I don't think size is an issue. He's about as physical a LB as there is. Led the Big 12 in tackles. And he's doing the same in the Big Ten this year. Also has some pass rush ability. He's been completely healthy in his career as a starting LB.

I agree that I'd be surprised if he's more than 215lb right now, but I think he could put on a few pounds get to the 225 ish by combine time. Looks like a 4.5 guy to me right now, and 10 lbs shouldn't stop him from being one of the top 5 fastest LBs in the league. He's a solid 2nd rounder, who should be a day 1 starter in the NFL and a 3-down LB. I think he's tough enough to play in any 4-3 scheme, Cover 2 or otherwise.

etk
10-09-2011, 09:41 AM
He looks a lot smaller than 225 on film. He has a very small frame and gets engulfed by blockers. He'll need to change positions.

bucfan12
10-09-2011, 10:03 AM
He looks a lot smaller than 225 on film. He has a very small frame and gets engulfed by blockers. He'll need to change positions.

Dude, much respect to ya as a fellow buc fan, but we seem to have a lot of different views when it comes to scouting prospects. From what I've seen, Lavonte David doesn't have a hard time shedding blocks. I am wondering if he can play like that in the NFL due to his size. If you say he is 215sh in weight, then he may not be a LB, but may not be able to transistion to safety either.

Matthew Jones
10-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Dude's tiny but I've always been impressed with his ability to make plays all over the field and especially in coverage. Slips blocks better than expected too. I'll say third round just due to the lack of teams whose schemes he fits.

Babylon
10-09-2011, 12:05 PM

Agree. Strong safety if he can show some speed at the combine otherwise dont see him making it.

dannyz
10-09-2011, 02:34 PM
About the Only Good Player on Nebraska's Defense. I was watching the Game last night and I was telling the People i was with that Number 4 or 3 are the only players that actually play on our Defense. 4 David 3 Stafford.

BRAVEHEART
10-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah a lot of people like him, the kid is a star college linebacker, is all over the field. As for being too small? Well I doubt that, he can gain maybe 10 pounds and he is fine, he is not really a weak linebacker, compact, quick, Ernie Sims was pretty small on Florida State and he had some great years in the NFL. He will get a chance on a defense like the Colts, Tampa, or maybe Minnesota. Never in a 3/4 I don't think, but who knows, kid is playing like a 1st round pick but will probably be a 2nd rounder.

No he didn't, if you watched his games on the Lions or Eagles, you'd know his tackle stats didn't mean ****. He was really fast & quick, but he had poor instincts, and was not a "playmaker" (no sacks, no FF's, no INT's, etc...)

David on the other hand is instinctive, a playmaker, but not the "elite" athlete that Ernie is/was. Ernie also looked bigger than his listing, and was built like a body-builder. David on the other hand looks un-impressive in pads.

He'll probably be a mid-round steal in the 4th or 5th (IMO).

Babylon
10-09-2011, 05:03 PM
About the Only Good Player on Nebraska's Defense. I was watching the Game last night and I was telling the People i was with that Number 4 or 3 are the only players that actually play on our Defense. 4 David 3 Stafford.

Dennard and Crick have been nicked up so i'm sure you arent suggesting that they arent any good.

Ozzy
10-09-2011, 05:32 PM
BRAVEHEARTNo he didn't, if you watched his games on the Lions or Eagles, you'd know his tackle stats didn't mean ****. He was really fast & quick, but he had poor instincts, and was not a "playmaker" (no sacks, no FF's, no INT's, etc...)

David on the other hand is instinctive, a playmaker, but not the "elite" athlete that Ernie is/was. Ernie also looked bigger than his listing, and was built like a body-builder. David on the other hand looks un-impressive in pads.

He'll probably be a mid-round steal in the 4th or 5th (IMO).So starting in the NFL and having multiple 100 tackle seasons is not success? Sure if one measures success in terms of winning, sacks, and pro bowls sure not a star linebacker, but not bad considering his size which is the entire comparison anyway. If David had the success Sims did early in his career and more, I think he would be more than happy.

dannyz About the Only Good Player on Nebraska's Defense. I was watching the Game last night and I was telling the People i was with that Number 4 or 3 are the only players that actually play on our Defense. 4 David 3 Stafford.Stafford? Really, I am not a fan of his really at all, those safeties are more than below average, or at least are playing like that. They really miss Gomes and Hagg clearly.

Will Compton is much improved from his earlier years at Nebraska and played very well. Sean Fisher has tons of talent but lacks in coverage, wish they would put him as a DE potentially. The D-line outside of Crick is very weak, give ya that, not a huge Meredith fan at the moment. Stanley Jean-Baptiste is a possible star, in time he could help them a great deal and become a fine corner. Courtney Osborne and PJ Smith need to step up there game big time, they showed flashes last year but rarely play and or show up this year.

However overall they clearly improved later in the game, against a worse quarterback but hopefully they will get better as the season goes on. But they are not just a one man defense, and again not sure what exactly you see if Stafford. And for as bad as the D-line is, must be doing something right to keep the blockers off of David for him to make so many tackles, and Crick/Steinkuhler are a very good tandem of tackles, they just need better play from the ends I feel.

dannyz
10-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Dennard and Crick have been nicked up so i'm sure you arent suggesting that they arent any good.

I know they have been hurt but Crick is playing really bad. There were times he would just get washed out of the play by the Ohio State O-Line. I know there O-Line is good but Crick should be playing like a Top 15 Pick like he is supposed to and he has been playing like a mid 2ND Rounder.

Iamcanadian
10-10-2011, 12:23 AM
I know they have been hurt but Crick is playing really bad. There were times he would just get washed out of the play by the Ohio State O-Line. I know there O-Line is good but Crick should be playing like a Top 15 Pick like he is supposed to and he has been playing like a mid 2ND Rounder.

I believe Crick is playing hurt and might even sit a few games. He looks banged up to me.

Babylon
10-10-2011, 12:48 AM

From what i was told he received a head injury against Washington and it looks like he's struggling coming off that. I think top 15 might be a little high for him but he can really be a force when surrounded by talent. To me he looks like an ideal 3-4 DE and whether he goes late first or early second i think he's going to be a good pro.

dannyz
10-10-2011, 08:40 PM
I think Crick is good to. The People that said Suh made him are wrong because last year he had a better year without Suh. He just needs to get healthy.