PDA

View Full Version : SuperPacker 2012 Mock Draft 2.0 w/commentary

SuperPacker
10-09-2011, 07:26 AM
My second mock draft of the year and I have taken on some of the critisism you said and improved my mock. I am doing a new mock draft every 2 weeks so be sure to read my next one in 14 days time!!

1. Seattle Seahawks, Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

Seattle fans go mad, you have won the 'Andrew Luck Seahawks' and your franchise is set for the next 15 years. Luck is the best player since Peyton Manning to come out of the draft and hes so good teams like Seattle are purposely being bad to get him. Any of Indianapolis, Kansas City, Miami, St Louis, Minnesota and Jacksonville could 'suck for luck' enough to get him.

2. Miami Dolphins, Matt Barkley, QB, USC

Obviously if Miami were the second worst team in the NFL they would have a new head coach and that head coach would probably want a new QB to put his hopes in. Barkley is a step down from Luck but is still worthy of the 2nd overall pick, something which couldn't be said for Cam Newton and look how that has worked out.

3. Kansas City Chiefs, Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma

Is Jones good enough for the 3rd pick in the 2012 NFL Draft? Well if super accurate quarterback Jake Locker can go 8th then Landry Jones can go 3rd. Matt Cassell has been awful so far this year and an upgrade is needed, Landry Jones is probably already better than Cassell so what have the Chiefs got to lose?

4. Indianapolis Colts, Matt Kalil, OT, USC

Manning will be back but when he is he will need to be protected. They got Costanzo and Ijalana last year, so add Kalil and the offensive line is starting to look quite good. Just a shame they had to wait until '18' was injured to realise he needed some help.

5. Minnesota Vikings, Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

They got value for their pick last year with Ponder so they could do it again if Coples falls to 5, because of the top quarterbacks in this years draft class. In another year Coples could easily be a top 3 pick, add to this that Minnesota have a need opposite Jared Allen at DE then this pick makes a lot of sense.

6. Jacksonville Jaguars, Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma St.

You know that when the Green Bay Packers 5th choice WR would be your best receiver that you need an upgrade. Blackmon could be the wideout Gabbert needs and would be a great replacement for the amazing Mike Sims-Walker.

7. St. Louis Rams, Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

Its a shame the Rams didn't have 3 picks in a row here because Kirkpatrick, Jeffery and Martin would all be perfect for them. Unfortunately they only have one pick so I think they look to protect the future of the franchise by keeping him upright before sorting out the cornerbacks or receivers.

8. Cleveland Browns, Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina

The Browns have only scored 30 points combined in their last two games so i think its fair to say the offence needs some weapons. Alshon Jeffery is a beast and hes easily one of my favourite players in the whole draft. Greg Little is a good player but Jeffery is better.

9. Denver Broncos, Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

John Fox tried to get DeAngelo Williams in free agency this year so he obviously doesnt think much of Moreno or McGahee. Richardson is a great runner and would be a good fit in Denver.

10. Arizona Cardinals, Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa

Kevin Kolb is already under pressure in Arizona, but what do you expect when you trade your star corner and a second round pick for an average quarterback? Anyway he needs protecting and Riley Reiff is a promising young tackle.

11. Cincinnati Bengals, Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

Saying Nate Clements has been bad is a bit of an understatement and Kirkpatrick fills a big need with a great value pick. I bet the Bengals are wishing they had Jonathan Joseph back.

12. Carolina Panthers, Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan St.

McClain and Fua haven't looked great so far and Jerel Worthy is a much better prospect than either of them. Anyway look for them to go defense because that's the reason they have a losing record.

13. Buffalo Bills, Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona St.

Nick Barnett is just a short term option at ILB and has a history of injuries. They could use an upgrade opposite him anyway and the run defense still needs to be improved.

14. Dallas Cowboys, Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska

Even though the Cowboys again fail obviously Tony Romo is an elite quarterback so next year will be their year. Now to the pick, Crick is perfectly suited for the Cowboys 3-4 and at the moment they are a bit thin upfront on the d-line.

15. Tennessee Titans, Manti T'eo, OLB, Notre Dame

Akeem Ayers has looked decent but they need someone opposite him and T'eo is just a beast of a player. The Titans would have the looking of a good team if it weren't for Jake 'Mr Accurate' Locker.

16. Philadelphia Eagles, Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College

The Eagles run defense is the only reason this team isn't superbowl contenders and it starts with their awful linebackers. Kuechly would be an upgrade over all of their 'backers so he would slot right in.

17. Washington Redskins, Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

Washington could do with another corner and Morris Claiborne is good value here too. They probably thought they were gonna 'suck for luck' but it turns our Rex Grossman isn't a half bad QB after all.

18. Cleveland Browns (f/Atlanta), Nate Potter, OT, Boise St.

The Browns have problems at RT and they are finding it hard to keep Colt McCoy upright. The additions of Jeffery and Potter would go a long way to helping the Browns offence be more consistent.

19. New York Jets, Devin Taylor, OLB, South Carolina

This could be the year the Jets finally get the pass rusher they've been looking for with some decent DE/OLB's available. Devin Taylor may be the best of them come April.

20. Chicago Bears, Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia

This is a no brainer. The bears offensive line stinks and Glenn is good value at the 20th pick. The bears cant keep letting Jay Cutler get beat up every week.

21. San Francisco 49ers, Janoris Jenkins, CB, Florida

San Francisco have big problems at corner and Janoris Jenkins is the type of risk they should be willing to take in order to improve their secondary. A top 10 talent with issues, the Ryan Mallett of 2012

22. Oakland Raiders, Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina

The Raiders offence is looking very good so far with McFadden leading the way, but the defence needs to step up because giving up 38 points to the Buffalo Bills is not acceptable. Brown could slot right in at OLB.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers, David DeCastro, OG, Stanford

The Steelers still have offensive line problems and other than Pouncey their O-line has more questions than answers. DeCastro is a good player that could come in and start next to Pouncey from day one.

24. New York Giants, Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama

Courtney Upshaw is a versatile player who can play in the 4-3 which is where he would be playing in New York or the OLB in a 3-4. He makes sense for the Giants who have problems at linebacker.

25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska

Tampa have a great young team however they are in need of another corner. They are reportedly high on Dennard the team mate of Prince Amukamara who would only make this team even better.

26. Baltimore Ravens, Michael Brewster, C, Ohio St.

Matt Birk is nearing the end of his career and Brewster is a good player even if he is a bit of a reach at the end of the 1st round.

27. Detroit Lions, Andrew Datko, OT, Florida St.

The Lions have done a great job getting some talented players and it has finally paid off. However they still need a tackle to replace Cherilus or Backus.

28. San Diego Chargers, Donte Paige-Moss, OLB, North Carolina

The Chargers did a good job getting Corey Liuget in the 2011 draft to help the pass rush but they are still lacking a pass rush from the outside other than Phillips. Paige-Moss is a bit of a steal this late in the first round.

29. New England Patriots, Brandon Thompson, DT, Virginia

Albert Haynesworth and Vince Wilfork are both getting on a bit, so some youth on the defensive line could help their horrible pass defense.

30. New England Patriots (f/New Orleans), Brandon Jenkins, DE, Florida St.

The same goes for the DE's. They need someone that can help get too the quarterback so he doesnt have tons of time to throw the ball. Jenkins is a proper 'tweener but he could be used as a situational pass rusher.

31. Houston Texans, TJ McDonald, S, USC

I think the Texans are good enough to get to the superbowl (if they have Andre Johnson) which would be a massive step for a team that has never been to the play-offs. The Texans still need some help at safety after upgrading the corners by getting Jonathan Joseph from the Bengals.

32. Green Bay Packers, Don'ta Hightower, ILB, Alabama

Ted Thompson does a great job getting the best player available and here it is definitely Hightower. It also fills a need because other than Bishop and Hawk depth at ILB is non existent.

shylo3716
10-09-2011, 08:50 AM
My second mock draft of the year and I have taken on some of the critisism you said and improved my mock. I am doing a new mock draft every 2 weeks so be sure to read my next one in 14 days time!!

3. Kansas City Chiefs, Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma

Is Jones good enough for the 3rd pick in the 2012 NFL Draft? Well if super accurate quarterback Jake Locker can go 8th then Landry Jones can go 3rd. Matt Cassell has been awful so far this year and an upgrade is needed, Landry Jones is probably already better than Cassell so what have the Chiefs got to lose? I like Landry, but I'm quite sure many would think and project RG3 instead.

5. Minnesota Vikings, Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

They got value for their pick last year with Ponder so they could do it again if Coples falls to 5, because of the top quarterbacks in this years draft class. In another year Coples could easily be a top 3 pick, add to this that Minnesota have a need opposite Jared Allen at DE then this pick makes a lot of sense. Percy Harvin will not cannot and is not a #1 WR, Blackmon or Jeffery will fit to be Rice's replacement.

7. St. Louis Rams, Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

Its a shame the Rams didn't have 3 picks in a row here because Kirkpatrick, Jeffery and Martin would all be perfect for them. Unfortunately they only have one pick so I think they look to protect the future of the franchise by keeping him upright before sorting out the cornerbacks or receivers. Rams will not pass on Jeffery if he is available. Bradford needs a #1 option.

18. Cleveland Browns (f/Atlanta), Nate Potter, OT, Boise St.

The Browns have problems at RT and they are finding it hard to keep Colt McCoy upright. The additions of Jeffery and Potter would go a long way to helping the Browns offence be more consistent. I really believe Lamar Miller would deserve consideration here to the Browns. Peyton Hillis is not your typical back, he is a "Mike Alstott" type. Miller brings so much to the table. BTW Hillis is looking to force a trade from what a link said that was posted in the Pro Football forum.

26. Baltimore Ravens, Michael Brewster, C, Ohio St.

Matt Birk is nearing the end of his career and Brewster is a good player even if he is a bit of a reach at the end of the 1st round. A heir for Ray Ray or Eddie will do them well.

27. Detroit Lions, Andrew Datko, OT, Florida St.

The Lions have done a great job getting some talented players and it has finally paid off. However they still need a tackle to replace Cherilus or Backus. Secondary does not have 1 legit CB. I say that would be the route to go since their defensive front will take them along way.

31. Houston Texans, TJ McDonald, S, USC

I think the Texans are good enough to get to the superbowl (if they have Andre Johnson) which would be a massive step for a team that has never been to the play-offs. The Texans still need some help at safety after upgrading the corners by getting Jonathan Joseph from the Bengals. Someone opposite of The Natural would be great, since defenses always key on him. They don't have any go to guys on the receiving unit besides him.

Constructive feedback in Bold

SuperPacker
10-09-2011, 09:30 AM
1) Obviously if RG3 came out he would be a top pick but i dont think he will come out this year.

2) I thought about it but teams value blue chip defensive ends higher than blue chip receivers and if the Vikings are drafting 5th than they would have bigger needs than WR

3) Again i think protecting the QB is more important than giving him a #1. Look at the Lions, they have Stafford and Megatron but they've hardly played together because Staffords always getting hit and injured. They have Mike-Sims-walker anyway who isnt the worlds worst receiver.

4) The browns have enough problems at receiver, OL and DL to go for a change of pace back with their 2nd pick in the draft.

5) Yeah thought about putting Hightower or McDonald there but i think they are both reaches and after seeing Flacco get terrorised by the Jets i think he needs some help.

6) If the Lions wanted a corner they could of easily got Prince Amukamara. They obviously dont value the position much.

7) Yeah could of put Floyd there but the ofdense is good enough with Johnson, Foster and Schaub so i think Wade Phillips will be shouting for another defensive draft.

Matthew Jones
10-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Looks like a pretty good mock. A few observations: the Vikings have Charlie Johnson at LT. Not even the Colts wanted him, and with Jonathan Martin on the board I think he'd have to be the pick. I guess I could see a WR too since they lost Sidney Rice, but not Coples considering they have a pretty substantial financial investment in Brian Robison. I also think the Rams would go with a WR considering that Rodger Saffold played well last year. I don't think the Bills are going to look at an ILB that high, but that's just a hunch. Morris Claiborne will probably end up going higher than you have him, I'd say Dallas looks like a good spot for him.

Nate Potter is probably not a first rounder at this point. Devin Taylor has been a little disappointing so the Jets might look elsewhere. Not sure if Harbaugh would want to draft a guy like Jenkins with other options on the board. Upshaw is probably not a great fit for the Giants because he's more of a 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE (what he has played in Alabama's four-man fronts.) Not sure if Paige-Moss is a great guy for the Chargers' 3-4, or if the Patriots need a defensive tackle like Thompson when they have Albert Haynesworth locked up for a few years. Pats need a pass rusher but they have traditionally only looked at tall, bulky guys, so I don't know if they'd take Jenkins. Dont'a Hightower probably isn't a first round prospect.

vidae
10-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Good KC pick. RG3 would also be acceptable if he comes out.

Hurricanes25
10-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Devin Taylor is a good pick for the Jets.

marshallb
10-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Nice try with the Vikings pick, but DE is not a big need for the Vikings. Brian Robison has been damn good at LE opposite Jared Allen, and when we have huge needs at LT(really everywhere on the OL), WR, and DB with guys like Martin, Reiff, Blackmon, Jeffery and Kirkpatrick on the board who are all very similar values as Coples they have to be the pick. I'd say Martin, but I could see any of them, with Kirkpatrick being the least likely.

Robcards
10-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Devin Taylor is a good pick for the Jets.

Agree, but I doubt he will be a first round pick. More likely the 2nd round pick. Jets probably draft NT or LG 1st round and go Taylor or Curry 2nd round.

T-RICH49
10-09-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm warming to Landry a bit but still prefer RG3

Pat Sims 90
10-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Would rather have Claiborne for the Bengals.

SickwithIt1010
10-10-2011, 12:32 AM
Constructive feedback in Bold

The Browns have Hardesty. They dont need to draft Lamar Miller like youre saying they should in EVERY mock.

Nate Potter or a top flight OT would be great for them.