View Full Version : Minter's restructure

SchizophrenicBatman
03-25-2007, 08:09 PM
PAT YASINSKAS
pyasinskas@charlotteobserver.com
Related Content
Panthers content to watch free agency from sidelines
Upshaw digs in: No positive test, no action

PHOENIX --Veteran safety Mike Minter has restructured his contract, assuring he'll spend another season with the Carolina Panthers, according to a league source.

With the Panthers expected to look for youth at safety in the April draft, Minter agreed to a deal that creates $1.43 million in salary-cap space. Minter's base salary for 2007 was dropped from $2.15 million to the veteran minimum of $820,000. His salary-cap figure dropped from $3.35 million to $1.92 million. The move leaves the Panthers with about $9.5 million in salary-cap space.

League sources said the Panthers have advised Minter of their desire to get younger at safety and that he has agreed to stay with the team in whatever role is available. Minter could be a backup if two young safeties are ready to play immediately, or could remain a starter if the team isn't comfortable with the development of the young safeties.

Minter is the only safety on the roster with much experience. Shaun Williams and Colin Branch, who shared a starting role last season, are free agents and aren't expected to return. Second-year pro Nate Salley was primarily a special teams player.

The Panthers could target LSU's LaRon Landry or Florida's Reggie Nelson with the 14th overall pick in the draft.

I find the speculation of bringing in two young guys the most interesting part of this, even though it's likely just journalism being stupid with an extremely stretched quote/rumor. I guess the cap room we've freed up are for a frontloaded new contract for Peppers or Smitty?

pantherfreak
03-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Seriously, if the Panthers don't take either Landry, Nelson, Meriweather, or Rouse somewhere in this draft, I'll have the "Fire Hurney" t-shirts ready for order sometime in May.

ShutDwn
03-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Rouse? I don't really think he is worth firing a GM for. Griffin isn't on your list?

I love Minter, what a cool move by him.

I hope Nelson is taken with the 14th pick. Cause I doubt that Landry stays, though Landry would be the perfect replacement for Minter.

d-dave
03-26-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm also glad to read that Minter is willing to comeback as "whatever" the team needs. So if he needs to sit back and be a sub, great. I think that would help Minter out a lot, rotating in and out with younger guys keeping them in line, then retiring in a year or two and comming back as an assistant DB coach... =)

pantherfreak
03-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Rouse? I don't really think he is worth firing a GM for. Griffin isn't on your list?

I love Minter, what a cool move by him.

I hope Nelson is taken with the 14th pick. Cause I doubt that Landry stays, though Landry would be the perfect replacement for Minter.

I'm a Texas fan and I've seen every game (that in no way makes me an expert), but I'm not a Griffin fan, sorry. Sure he's tough and athletic, but he misreads so many plays and gets caught out of position at least two or three times a game. The mental part of the game kills him, and any team who drafts him will be the victim of that. I won't be surprised if he's named a starter in camp and is on the bench by the end of the season.

Rouse is bigger, stronger, smarter and faster than Griffin. He is good at run support (routinely chasing down runners before they even turn the corner) and he's a ballhawk.

This is just my long winded way of saying we need a starting safety out of this draft. :)

JustJoe2k5
03-27-2007, 07:16 AM
I'm a Texas fan and I've seen every game (that in no way makes me an expert), but I'm not a Griffin fan, sorry. Sure he's tough and athletic, but he misreads so many plays and gets caught out of position at least two or three times a game. The mental part of the game kills him, and any team who drafts him will be the victim of that. I won't be surprised if he's named a starter in camp and is on the bench by the end of the season.

Rouse is bigger, stronger, smarter and faster than Griffin. He is good at run support (routinely chasing down runners before they even turn the corner) and he's a ballhawk.

This is just my long winded way of saying we need a starting safety out of this draft. :)

You don't think Mike Minter could work with him and prepare him to take over his role as leader of the secondary?

I haven't watched alot of Texas games, but I have watched their bowl games the past few seasons and Griffin seems to be all over the field. If he can translate that to the NFL (solid in the regular season / takes it to another level in the postseason), he'll be a real steal late in the first-round or early in the second.

SchizophrenicBatman
03-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Griffin is the run stopping version of Nelson. Theyre both big play guys who are going to make mistakes. With Gamble in the same secondary I really dont think we need anyone else who likes to take a ton of risks. I'd take Weddle and Meriweather over both of them. I dont trust this team with Rouse, if we draft him I have a feeling he ends up at LB