PDA

View Full Version : Pass Interference Has Gotten Ridiculous!

49ers1984
10-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Pass Interference calls are getting out of hand. A defensive player can grab push a DB but as soon as the DB touches the receiver it is pass interference.It is so bias for the offensive player it has become a joke.

yo123
10-09-2011, 03:49 PM
http://twoliverpoolfans.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/breaking-news.jpg

KCJ58
10-09-2011, 03:52 PM
so is hitting the quarterback, these things will not change

J-Mike88
10-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Pass Interference calls are getting out of hand. A defensive player can grab push a DB but as soon as the DB touches the receiver it is pass interference.It is so bias for the offensive player it has become a joke.
Really?
Go to a Jets game. Watch the 5-yard mark when they're on defense, and count how many times you see Revis make contact with the WR and how many times he gets away with it. There should be a flag anytime he grabs, shoves, moves a receiver beyond 5 yards on a passing play.

That's all I ask. Watch him. Nobody can argue about where the 5-yard mark is. And it's pretty clearcut if he touches, bumps into, adjusts, the receiver.

yo123
10-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Really?
Go to a Jets game. Watch the 5-yard mark when they're on defense, and count how many times you see Revis make contact with the WR and how many times he gets away with it. There should be a flag anytime he grabs, shoves, moves a receiver beyond 5 yards on a passing play.

That's all I ask. Watch him. Nobody can argue about where the 5-yard mark is. And it's pretty clearcut if he touches, bumps into, adjusts, the receiver.

Charles Woodson has gotten away with that for a solid decade now.

J-Mike88
10-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Charles Woodson has gotten away with that for a solid decade now.
He does it a lot...... Revis copies him.
But I bet Woodson gets called more than anyone for it.
Where's Stats Inc?

I never see Revis get called for it.

niel89
10-09-2011, 03:55 PM
CB's with a good reputation get more leeway with interference. Champ used to get way more contact too but he rarely got called.

PackerLegend
10-09-2011, 03:56 PM

Tell us something we dont know.

O wait you did

defensive players like to grab and push DBs.. thats interesting

cvv84
10-09-2011, 04:16 PM
In other news, your panties seem to be in a bunch

OzTitan
10-09-2011, 05:45 PM
CB's with a good reputation get more leeway with interference. Champ used to get way more contact too but he rarely got called.

This. Defenses that are known as aggressive and are celebrated for this fact are also given concessions in other areas too, from time to time. Whether consciously or not, there is little doubt in my mind at least that the league lets teams with identities get a few breaks here and there to further this image of identity, whatever that happens to be.

niel89
10-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Along the same lines, TEs never get called for PI. They just say that TE's are being physical and using their big bodies to shield the ball.

tjsunstein
10-09-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm convinced you can base an offense around throwing it deep and waiting for the PI call. I'd go deep 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down every time. Because one of those is bound to pick up 30-35 yards.

Brent
10-09-2011, 07:07 PM
can you believe that water is wet? the nerve of some people!

eeth
10-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Last year Jets @ Lions Megatron wore Revis like a backpack and there was no PI call, so I know at least he gets away with contact.

Thecollegedropout
10-10-2011, 03:18 AM
He does it a lot...... Revis copies him.
But I bet Woodson gets called more than anyone for it.
Where's Stats Inc?

I never see Revis get called for it.
He pushes guys within the 5 yards but lets them go after the 5 yard mark.

This is from someone who has seen all of Revis games since 2007...

Thecollegedropout
10-10-2011, 03:19 AM
Last year Jets @ Lions Megatron wore Revis like a backpack and there was no PI call, so I know at least he gets away with contact.
Revis did a good job on him but it was Nate Burelson having a monster day as to why Calvin Johnson did not get much love in that particular game.

Oh and Stafford leaving the game.

kalbears13
10-10-2011, 03:32 AM
In the book Scorecasting and they actually proved that star players get called less for penalties. Not just in football but in all sports. A good hitter in baseball will have a smaller strike zone and an ace pitcher will have a larger strike zone. In basketball it's the same with double dribble, travelling, and charging vs. blocking. At first glance you might say "hey that's unfair." but it makes the game more interesting, especially when it's a no-call.

OzTitan
10-10-2011, 06:48 AM
I think the thing to remember is, even if players and teams are favoured in certain circumstances to aid the development of their "brand", they still created it themselves initially. I don't think the NFL sits back and says "this kid at WR coming into the NFL - lets make him a beast". The WR does some crazy stuff, wins some attention and respect, and starts to become known for a style or whatever, and then the calls may start to occasionaly aid this.

Trogdor
10-10-2011, 07:54 AM

Either you are blind or a homer. Go to week 1 of this season. Watch half the plays where Revis is on Dez. I'm sure if I watched the Jets every week it'd be really easy to find them. Oh. And he was called for it yesterday as well and it was pointed out that he had gotten away with a few earlier in the game.

A Perfect Score
10-10-2011, 08:18 AM
http://twoliverpoolfans.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/breaking-news.jpg

I actually laughed really hard at this. Well played, sir. I wasn't going to click on the thread because the title was mind blowingly ********, but I'm glad I did.

...So you guys hear about Pluto? That's messed up, right?

cmarq83
10-10-2011, 09:05 AM

Yeah this isn't true at all. Lets call a spade a spade here. Revis is the best CB in the game bar none, but he gets away with far more than any other CB. Ty Law did the same things when he was a shut down corner too. You get a reputation of being the best, and while you have that reputation you can get away with more. However, there were several plays notably one in the Dallas game against Bryant where he was pressing him about 15 yards downfield. Also, last night you could see him grabbing onto Welker after he got off the line. That is a ticky tack call, but most other corners would get an illegal contact or a holding penalty for that.

CC.SD
10-10-2011, 09:21 AM
That's not ridiculous. Christina Hendricks is ridiculous.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo60/CCSDphotos_2008/6a00d8341c558f53ef01310fa36253970c-pi.gif

J-Mike88
10-10-2011, 09:40 AM
That's not ridiculous. Christina Hendricks is ridiculous.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo60/CCSDphotos_2008/6a00d8341c558f53ef01310fa36253970c-pi.gif
This things defy gravity.
I love silicone.

J-Mike88
10-10-2011, 09:45 AM
I first noticed Revis really getting away with this a few years ago when he mugged, molested, fondled Chad Ochocinco and totally got away with it each time. The announcers said nothing. I was flabberfuqinggasted because Woodson and Al Harris would get called for that all the time. Our guys HAD gotten away with it before, but the refs finally figured it out and started to crack down on it.

They still are letting D'Rell get away with it.

bucfan12
10-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Goodell is taking away defense in the NFL. You can't make contact with WRs at all, no matter what. You can't hit the QB and you have to watch how you hit WRs when they go over the middle. It's become a P*ssy sport to the point where any physical contact by the defense results in a flag.

J-Mike88
10-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Goodell is taking away defense in the NFL. You can't make contact with WRs at all, no matter what. You can't hit the QB and you have to watch how you hit WRs when they go over the middle. It's become a P*ssy sport to the point where any physical contact by the defense results in a flag.
You think it's a p*ssy sport and easy street for WRs out there?
Go out there once and play WR. You'd get killed within 3 passes thrown your (covered) way.
DBs take kill shots at WRs everytime they get a chance. They don't "tackle" anymore. They launch at them to hurt them.

Ask Jordan Shipley. Ask Anquan Boldin, DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin. You'd die if hit like those guys were. Flags don't make em feel any better.

Thecollegedropout
10-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Either you are blind or a homer. Go to week 1 of this season. Watch half the plays where Revis is on Dez. I'm sure if I watched the Jets every week it'd be really easy to find them. Oh. And he was called for it yesterday as well and it was pointed out that he had gotten away with a few earlier in the game.
You give me one game and try and discredit Revis when I can give you plenty of games whether its vs Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Anquan Boldin etc.

He got called on a call that even Phil Simms said Deion Branch flopped on and that it was incidental tripping? Did you even see the game or you just heard Revis got a call against him and are using that against him for your argument.

Revis is a great corner. He is a physical one and he got physical on Welker as the play starts and then lets up past the 5 yard mark and begins to cover him. This is called "Bump and Run" and its perfectly allowed.

Thecollegedropout
10-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Yeah this isn't true at all. Lets call a spade a spade here. Revis is the best CB in the game bar none, but he gets away with far more than any other CB. Ty Law did the same things when he was a shut down corner too. You get a reputation of being the best, and while you have that reputation you can get away with more. However, there were several plays notably one in the Dallas game against Bryant where he was pressing him about 15 yards downfield. Also, last night you could see him grabbing onto Welker after he got off the line. That is a ticky tack call, but most other corners would get an illegal contact or a holding penalty for that.
Oh I don't disagree that the star players get away with tons of stuff. Star players always get the calls, that's a norm in the NFL. Revis is a physical corner, there isn't any 2 ways around it. He will push a guy after a deflected ball and will harass a WR in the 1st five yards before sticking on the WR like glue.

The Welker stuff showed he was shoving him and getting physical on him during the first 5 yards but would let go after that would be crossed.

descendency
10-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Tell that to Wes Welker...

Saints-Tigers
10-10-2011, 01:05 PM
The roughing calls are worse.

Saints got one when Cam still had the ball in his hands on the hit, haha.

cmarq83
10-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Oh I don't disagree that the star players get away with tons of stuff. Star players always get the calls, that's a norm in the NFL. Revis is a physical corner, there isn't any 2 ways around it. He will push a guy after a deflected ball and will harass a WR in the 1st five yards before sticking on the WR like glue.

The Welker stuff showed he was shoving him and getting physical on him during the first 5 yards but would let go after that would be crossed.

Revis is a physical corner, I wish everyone could play as physical as he does, but lets not kid ourselves that he stops making contact with a receiver anywhere near 5 yards. He is constantly arm barring people and pushing them towards the sideline well past 5 yards. Practically whenever they highlight him in game you see him do things that aren't allowed by the rules. If we had coaches tape I'm sure we would have plenty of examples. Now some refs call plays differently than others, but Revis toes that line more than any other corner.

LonghornsLegend
10-10-2011, 02:50 PM

You've got a good sense of humor.

J-Mike88
10-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Revis is a physical corner, I wish everyone could play as physical as he does, but lets not kid ourselves that he stops making contact with a receiver anywhere near 5 yards. He is constantly arm barring people and pushing them towards the sideline well past 5 yards. Practically whenever they highlight him in game you see him do things that aren't allowed by the rules. If we had coaches tape I'm sure we would have plenty of examples. Now some refs call plays differently than others, but Revis toes that line more than any other corner.
Revis did it again.......

Thecollegedropout
10-18-2011, 03:25 PM
You've got a good sense of humor.
I am dead serious. I don't know why people dislike Revis so much.

And I know Revis did a defensive holding yesterday. There's a 1st major time it was really obvious. However, there were times Marshall got away with an arm extension as well so I think both guys just got away with stuff others would have been flagged on.

Revis is still a heck of a corner and is mainly physical before that 5 yard mark that you have to let go. Marshall got the best of him though, it was very physical by both guys.

tjsunstein
10-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Revis is a lot more physical than he gets credit for, but not all of it is legal.
Still, hands down the best corner in the league.

J-Mike88
10-18-2011, 03:52 PM
I can only speak for myself. I like the guy actually, he's a good dude.
And he's a great player, and a player my Packers were targeting.

But the reason I dislike the player is only because I watched him closely starting a couple years ago in that game against the Bengals, I think a night game, and I saw him get away with about 6 or 7 plays that were called penalties on my team's Woodson and Harris.

I admit that Woodson and Harris HAD gotten away with that physical stuff a lot of times, but they still got flagged way more often than Revis does.

More people are starting to notice Revis gets away with stuff, and that rep will start to catch up with him.

tjsunstein
10-18-2011, 04:00 PM
To be a great corner in the NFL these days, you're going to have to get away with some grabbing, pushing, and holding.

descendency
10-18-2011, 04:32 PM
To be a great corner in the NFL these days, you're going to have to get away with some grabbing, pushing, and holding.

To be a great TE, you apparently have to be allowed to tackle the DB in the end zone so he can't pick off the pass.

Donno
10-18-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm convinced you can base an offense around throwing it deep and waiting for the PI call. I'd go deep 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down every time. Because one of those is bound to pick up 30-35 yards.

I 100% agree with this lol

BamaFalcon59
10-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Can't say I like the direction the league is going, away from the running game and defense.

LonghornsLegend
10-19-2011, 08:33 AM

Good lord quit the cry baby act. Now I don't like Revis, all because I admit he gets physical after 5 yards of play? More so then anything I disagreed with you, who because Revis is a great CB, you want to make him some flawless machine that never touches a WR after 5 yards, I mean you have seen every game so take it from you right? He constantly is grabbing and pulling after 5 yards, same way what Michael Irvin was doing was illegal by rule, but he was good at it.

Revis is 1 of my favorite players in the league, being physical combined with great coverage ability and hips makes him so tough to get away from. But when your a homer you only see one color, everyone else hates your team/players.

Miaoww
10-19-2011, 08:39 AM

Pretty much. Fair play to teams like the Packers and the Patriots who have realised this and just developed spread offences to abuse the new emphasis on certain rules.

J-Mike88
10-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Pretty much. Fair play to teams like the Packers and the Patriots who have realised this and just developed spread offences to abuse the new emphasis on certain rules.
It ain't that simple, just "develop a spread offense" and "abuse the certain rules"....

And Colt McCoy, Matt Ryan, Josh Freeman, and Cam Newton each throw more passes than Rodgers this year. Receivers still get some contact, not as much as before though. But as DeSean Jackson, Anquan Boldin, Muhammad Massaguoi learned, they could get their heads taken off any catch.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2011&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&d-447263-s=PASSING_ATTEMPTS