PDA

View Full Version : Is Alex Smith turning the corner?

49ersfan_87
10-09-2011, 08:50 PM
So far this season...

83/126, 965 yards, 7 TD, 1 INT

65 % completion percentage, 7.7 YPA

I was tired of Alex last year and wanted nothing to do with him immediately after the 2010 season ended. After Harbaugh wanted him and some time passed i warmed up a little and thought he could be an average stopgap. He started out average but has improved about tenfold as the season has wore on. He's standing tall in the pocket, his accuracy is much improved, and he's improvising when things break down. He still will make a few bad throws each game but he looks really damn good. The only negative i can see is he doesn't have the yards, but his YPA is still pretty good- its just lack of attempts as we run the ball a lot too.

What do you guys think?

cvv84
10-09-2011, 08:59 PM
What do you guys think?

I'm ever grateful to have Aaron Rodgers quarbacking my team.

bucfan12
10-09-2011, 09:00 PM
So far this season...

83/126, 965 yards, 7 TD, 1 INT

65 % completion percentage, 7.7 YPA

I was tired of Alex last year and wanted nothing to do with him immediately after the 2010 season ended. After Harbaugh wanted him and some time passed i warmed up a little and thought he could be an average stopgap. He started out average but has improved about tenfold as the season has wore on. He's standing tall in the pocket, his accuracy is much improved, and he's improvising when things break down. He still will make a few bad throws each game but he looks really damn good. The only negative i can see is he doesn't have the yards, but his YPA is still pretty good- its just lack of attempts as we run the ball a lot too.

What do you guys think?

I thought he's been impressive, and it's obvious Harbaugh has had a lot to do with his improved play. I've always liked Alex Smith. It is only 5 games in and he has shown lack of consistency before, but it's under a guy who knows a thing or 2 about coaching and developing QBs, so I'm interested to see how he performs the rest of the season.

Ness
10-09-2011, 09:04 PM
He's playing well for a game-manger type. But he's not taking the team and carrying them on their back. We've played good defense and our run game has come to life in the last couple of weeks. But he's not playing out of his mind like Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers. I'm not sure what the stat-line is now, but he came in averaging less than 200 yards a game. In this day and age that's quite pedestrian. He's made big plays no doubt, but if things start to break down and players get hurt or whatever, can Alex lead a team to a victory? That Philadelphia game was a good example, but the Eagles also did a lot of things to give the game to the 49ers. I give him props for having to deal with terrible protection though.

Borat
God, some Packer fans are just the worst. We get it. You lucked out. Congrats.

BigBanger
He's playing like a really good mediocre QB right now.

And I mean that as a compliment.

Brent
Yes, I am sure that all but one NFL team's fans would take Rodgers over their current starter.

Ness
10-09-2011, 09:05 PM

Please don't remind me that we passed on Aaron Rodgers. Thanks McCarthy.

CJSchneider
10-09-2011, 09:08 PM

If things had been reversed, Rodgers would below average and Smith would have a ring.

bored of education
10-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Its too early homie

Ness
10-09-2011, 09:11 PM
If things had been reversed, Rodgers would below average and Smith would have a ring.

That's not necessarily true. Rodgers may be just the better player period.

SickwithIt1010
10-09-2011, 09:12 PM

I highly doubt that.

Sure Rodgers would have been put into the same ****** situation that Alex was put into, but Rodgers was the safer pick...the 9ers went with Alex's potential.

A Perfect Score
10-09-2011, 09:13 PM
I've long been a supporter of Alex Smith and maintained that his failures, while not entirely systemic, have been largely a result of having a myriad of coaches and a routinely lackluster supporting cast. I'm glad to see him succeeding right now, I hope he keeps it up. Throughout his tenure in San Francisco he's been nothing but a class act, through his benching, criticism, pay cut, etc. All he's done is shut up and do what's best for that franchise. I have the utmost respect for Alex Smith as an individual, even if I don't have it for him as a quarterback yet. There's a ton of players in the NFL who could learn a lesson or two from Alex Smith about how to handle adversity.

Complex
10-09-2011, 09:13 PM
They should sign Smith to a contract extension.If he starts for the 49ers for the next 3 or 4 years can he be considered a bust?

yo123
10-09-2011, 09:14 PM

I'm sorry CJ but this is just not true.

cvv84
10-09-2011, 09:15 PM

Oh yeah and thanks for McCarthy too.

God, some Packer fans are just the worst. We get it. You lucked out. Congrats.

Tampon much

Brent
10-09-2011, 09:15 PM
They should sign Smith to a contract extension.
No, they can do that when he proves he can be successful for 16 games.

If he starts for the 49ers for the next 3 or 4 years can he be considered a bust?
Yes, he was taken number one overall to be an elite quarterback, not a mediocre one.

Breed
10-09-2011, 09:16 PM

In my career on this site so far i have noticed two things:

1. Packers fans are annoying
2. Packers fans are annoying....

A Perfect Score
10-09-2011, 09:17 PM

Make no mistake, you are far more annoying then any Packers fan on this site.

jrdrylie
10-09-2011, 09:18 PM

In your career on this site I have noticed two things:

1. You are a moron
2. You add nothing to this forum

Arsenal
10-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Well I know I'm over the Aaron Rodgers thing. Not sure what it has to do with this thread. Mike McCarthy even wanted Alex Smith over Rodgers so whatever. Also, Rodgers is just better so I don't really believe the whole switching places thing.

He's turned the corner in the sense that you can win with him. He can definitely lead a team to the playoffs and even win a game but I doubt he'll ever be a championship caliber starter. Harbaugh knows his limitations and plans around them, unlike the Singletary regime where they basically had a sink or swim approach that lead to him sinking. He's never going to be a stud like Rodgers or Brees.

I've always respected his work ethic. He could have easily turned into Jamarcus Russell and basically realize he has a **** ton of money and quit but he's always worked extremely hard to come back from injuries and deal with his poor situations.

Hurricanes25
10-09-2011, 09:21 PM
I've long been a supporter of Alex Smith and maintained that his failures, while not entirely systemic, have been largely a result of having a myriad of coaches and a routinely lackluster supporting cast. I'm glad to see him succeeding right now, I hope he keeps it up. Throughout his tenure in San Francisco he's been nothing but a class act, through his benching, criticism, pay cut, etc. All he's done is shut up and do what's best for that franchise. I have the utmost respect for Alex Smith as an individual, even if I don't have it for him as a quarterback yet. There's a ton of players in the NFL who could learn a lesson or two from Alex Smith about how to handle adversity.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Smith is a likable guy who is very easy to root for.

CJSchneider
10-09-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm sorry CJ but this is just not true.

I direct you no further than the storied careers of both players thus far and stand by my statement being that there is more evidence to support it than to disprove it.

Thank you - that is all.

Borat
10-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Well I know I'm over the Aaron Rodgers thing. Not sure what it has to do with this thread. Mike McCarthy even wanted Alex Smith over Rodgers so whatever. Also, Rodgers is just better so I don't really believe the whole switching places thing.

It has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. But far be it for a Packer fan to wander into any thread without mentioning that Aaron Rodgers is their QB.

Ness
10-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Oh yeah and thanks for McCarthy too.

No problem. I already know what it's like to have a figurehead as a head coach that is mostly along for the ride when success happens, instead of actually doing something.

Brent
10-09-2011, 09:24 PM
It has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. But far be it for a Packer fan to wander into any thread without mentioning that Aaron Rodgers is their QB.
Wait, we took Alex Smith over Rodgers and Rodgers is a successful QB? WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN? WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME?

Borat
10-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Wait, we took Alex Smith over Rodgers and Rodgers is a successful QB? WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN? WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME?

You haven't been spending enough time in relevant threads. Check out the weather thread, the NBA thread, the MMA thread etc. I'm sure you will find plenty of "Hey, it's getting cold now. I hate the winter. Also, Aaron Rodgers is QB of the Packers."

A Perfect Score
10-09-2011, 09:36 PM
You haven't been spending enough time in relevant threads. Check out the weather thread, the NBA thread, the MMA thread etc. I'm sure you will find plenty of "Hey, it's getting cold now. I hate the winter. Also, Aaron Rodgers is QB of the Packers."

"What? You mean you loved No Country For Old Men? I dunno, I'm pretty upset it didn't have Aaron Rodgers at QB."

Oh man, I smell a TomTom like rush coming on.

Brent
10-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Oh man, I smell a TomTom like rush coming on.
"So I am in love with this girl, but she has a *****. More importantly, I am happy my team has Aaron Rodgers at QB."

niel89
10-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Did you know that the Packers have injuryzzz, and Aaron Rodgers at QB?

Borat
10-09-2011, 10:03 PM
"Hey, did you guys hear Steve Jobs died? That wouldn't have happened if Aaron Rodgers was his doctor."

Raiderz4Life
10-09-2011, 10:12 PM
In your career on this site I have noticed two things:

1. You are a moron
2. You add nothing to this forum

In his defense.....I agree with that post. But only that one...but you know what they say...even a blind squirrel is bound to run into a nut.

Punisher
10-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Haha if only I could spread more reputation.

Aaron Rodgers

Raiderz4Life
10-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Haha if only I could spread more reputation.

Aaron Rodgers

If Aaron Rodgers was your QB you'd be able to spread it around to 12 diff receivers.

A Perfect Score
10-09-2011, 10:38 PM
If Aaron Rodgers was your QB you'd be able to spread it around to 12 diff receivers.

Hell, if Aaron Rodgers was your QB you wouldn't need receivers. He'd just throw TD passes to himself. Then he'd go out and beat quadriple teams while playing defense.

Rabscuttle
10-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Rodgers would have been concussed out of the league if he had been the Niners' choice. He was fortunate to be passed by the Niners and end up in a spot that worked better for him.

Alex has a 15 TD to 2 INT ratio over his last ten games. Not great production for sure, but he has been learning to take care of the ball better. He's better at limiting negative plays in genral and has started making some very nice passes. He still doesn't hit guys at the right time in their routes and isn't as accurate as he needs to be for his receivers to get the YAC they should. His teammates seem to love him, so there may be more leadership to him than it looks like to fans.

wogitalia
10-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Did you know that the Packers have injuryzzz, and Aaron Rodgers at QB?

Don't forget Jordyzzz

SolidGold
10-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Alex Smith was playing well with Turner as his offensive coordinator. Once he left it really went to ****, Mike Nolan did nothing but destroy his confidence, Mike Martz brought in his guys JT O'Sullivan and Shaun Hill to run his offense doing nothing to help smith out. Singeltary was a train wreck. I don't think he will live up to his lofty draft status but Harbaugh has him playing well and is doing a pretty good restoration job on his career so far this season. Smith is alot like Jason Campbell except he doesn't get the x number of different offenses in x number of years excuse that Campbell gets.

nepg
10-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Smith is alot like Jason Campbell except he doesn't get the x number of different offenses in x number of years excuse that Campbell gets.

???

This is the 6th different offense in 7 years for Smith...

Rabscuttle
10-09-2011, 11:22 PM
There are people in Hollywood that don't change their spouses as often as the Niners change their offensive co-ordinator. This is one excuse Alex has continually been given.

SolidGold
10-09-2011, 11:23 PM
49ERS O-Coordinators since Smith was drafted

2005 Mike McCarthy
2006 Norv Turner
2007 Jim Hostler
2008 Mike Martz
2009/2010 Jimmy Raye/Mike Johnson
2011 Greg Roman

nepg
10-09-2011, 11:25 PM
There are people in Hollywood that don't change their spouses as often as the Niners change their offensive co-ordinator. This is one excuse Alex has continually been given.
Rightfully so.

Ness
10-09-2011, 11:27 PM

2005 Mike McCarthy
2006 Norv Turner
2007 Jim Hostler
2008 Mike Martz
2011 Greg Roman

Turner was the only guy on that list that knew what to do with Alex Smith. Well, Roman may be the next exception. Everyone else was terrible.

descendency
10-09-2011, 11:30 PM
The Packers have Injuriezzzzzzz

The Packers have Rodgers

Injuriezzzzzzzzzzz = Rodgers

I guess Packer fans will get what they are asking for . . .

SolidGold
10-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Yea I remember Turner had Smith improving under his watch. He made a pretty big jump from year one to year two.

hawkeye123
10-09-2011, 11:37 PM

2005 Mike McCarthy
2006 Norv Turner
2007 Jim Hostler
2008 Mike Martz
2011 Greg Roman

Good god i'll never forget Hostler or Raye. A junior varsity coach could have called better plays.

Jvig43
10-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Where is he going when he turns this corner?

hawkeye123
10-09-2011, 11:41 PM
If Smith continues to play well i bet we'll franchise tag him at the end of the season. He won't take another 1 year deal and it'd be stupid to give him more then 2 years.

SolidGold
10-09-2011, 11:43 PM
If Smith plays well for the rest of the season I could see them looking him up for a few years, he is only 27. CK is not ready, I really don't think he is a franchise QB anyway.

Ness
If Smith continues to play well i bet we'll franchise tag him at the end of the season. He won't take another 1 year deal and it'd be stupid to give him more then 2 years.

Just look what happened to Michael Vick after that huge deal he got.

Rabscuttle
Good god i'll never forget Hostler or Raye. A junior varsity coach could have called better plays.

But would the jv coach have been as efficient at getting the play in.......

So odd having time to get plays off this year.

Brent
Where is he going when he turns this corner?
to a 9-7 record.

Jvig43
10-09-2011, 11:44 PM
"So I drive up to this drive through, and some chick is speaking spanish over the intercom, and I'm like "Hello, this is america, and Aaron Rodgers is GB's QB." "

Iamcanadian
10-10-2011, 12:15 AM
I think he remains a disappointment but he isn't a flop and is now a decent starting NFL QB but not a star.

BRAVEHEART
10-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Aye, you guys wont believe this....

Aaron Rodgers is the QB of the Green Bay Packers, and he's pretty good.

I didn't know that until now. Sometime's this board is just way too much for me. I mean, I'm barely starting to understand what this damn ZZzzZZzzZ's are about, but Aaron Rogers is Green Bay's QB, and he's pretty good

Game over man, game over!

binary
10-11-2011, 04:25 AM
we'll figure this one out after he plays the Lions and the Ravens...if he survives.