PDA

View Full Version : Matt Ryan Plateuiing

eltwentyone
10-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Alright, I never watched Matt Ryan extensively before this season. I saw his stats last year, with julio jones I drafted him as my number 1 QB for fantasy. I started to watch his game a lot and I just have come to a conclusion, seems really average to me, havent seen anything outta him, no big plays.

Whats going on? Atlanta hyped up their offense and it just really middle of the pack. Matt Ryan accuracy was okay to me nothing spectacular. reminds of of a lesser Phil Simms with some shaky mechanics. They got roddy white, julio jones, gonzalez, douglas, and a good running game so where are the big plays?

Is Matt Ryan plateuing or just the offensive coordinator sucks?

A Perfect Score
10-09-2011, 10:59 PM
To be fair, their offensive line has regressed significantly since last season and Mike Mularky's offense isn't exactly designed to produce big plays. Still, I think there's alot of Falcons fans and alot of NFL fans who expected much more then this group has been able to produce so far.

SolidGold
10-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Roddy White has been pretty bad with the drops this year and the offensive line play has not given Ryan much protection.

Pat Sims 90
10-09-2011, 11:02 PM
They hired Bob Bratkowski as QB coach. He will ruin any QB.

Breed
10-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Greatest Show on Turf II

::rolleyes::

Ness
10-09-2011, 11:06 PM
He's a very good quarterback. He's not going to be Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers. But he's still one of the better starters in this league. Atlanta's defense has been terrible this year.

A Perfect Score
10-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Greatest Show on Turf II

I think you're mistaking the Falcons and the Eagles, I thought Mike Vick was leading the new Greatest Show on Turf.

Oh wait...

Breed
10-09-2011, 11:11 PM
I think you're mistaking the Falcons and the Eagles, I thought Mike Vick was leading the new Greatest Show on Turf.

Oh wait...

I know you do not like me, but c'mon man. We don't even play on turf so this joke makes no sense, and very lame.

eltwentyone
10-09-2011, 11:12 PM
He's a very good quarterback. He's not going to be Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers. But he's still one of the better starters in this league. Atlanta's defense has been terrible this year.

Honestly the importance of quarterbacks is khurrazzay, Theres no room for average or above average qbs in this league. I would trade Matt Ryan, attempt to get an elite prospect or qb. you can't compete without an elite quarterback these days, I know it sounds crazy, just feels like all facets of the game doesnt matter anymore.

why cant I post images, all i see is links when I put insert image.

nepg
10-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Alright, I never watched Matt Ryan extensively before this season. I saw his stats last year, with julio jones I drafted him as my number 1 QB for fantasy. I started to watch his game a lot and I just have come to a conclusion, seems really average to me, havent seen anything outta him, no big plays.

Whats going on? Atlanta hyped up their offense and it just really middle of the pack. Matt Ryan accuracy was okay to me nothing spectacular. reminds of of a lesser Phil Simms with some shaky mechanics. They got roddy white, julio jones, gonzalez, douglas, and a good running game so where are the big plays?

Is Matt Ryan plateuing or just the offensive coordinator sucks?
Oh no! Not your fantasy team! Poor you.

eltwentyone
10-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Oh no! Not your fantasy team! Poor you.

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2010/09/MAD-MEN-THE-SUITCASE-48.jpg

CashmoneyDrew
10-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Greatest Show on Turf II

Yeah, they're no dream team! Am I right?!?!?

BigBanger
10-09-2011, 11:21 PM
You drafted Matt Ryan for your #1 fantasy QB?

I1dwMEyFjZ4

Ness
10-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Honestly the importance of quarterbacks is khurrazzay, Theres no room for average or above average qbs in this league. I would trade Matt Ryan, attempt to get an elite prospect or qb. you can't compete without an elite quarterback these days, I know it sounds crazy, just feels like all facets of the game doesnt matter anymore.

why cant I post images, all i see is links when I put insert image.

You can compete. If the majority of the team is pulling it's weight. Of course that isn't always going to happen. That is where elite guys like Brees and Rodgers come in. They make up for terrible running games, or defensive units that aren't getting it done and/or don't retain the same amount of starters from one season to the next.

eltwentyone
10-09-2011, 11:26 PM
You drafted Matt Ryan for your #1 fantasy QB?

lol i dont know how to draft in ppr leagues

http://i.imgur.com/NT8dk.jpg

bored of education
10-09-2011, 11:27 PM
#suckforluck

Ness
10-09-2011, 11:29 PM
wat.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bqbaiY-9yJQ/TPgX-UK0tcI/AAAAAAAAAdA/ifhcraF5Msw/s1600/joker-wizard.jpg

BigBanger
10-09-2011, 11:36 PM
lol i dont know how to draft in ppr leagues

http://i.imgur.com/NT8dk.jpg

Um, yeah, you can stop with the crying Jon Hamm. Look at me, I learned how to post pictures!!!!

Jvig43
10-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Did somebody say RUM HAM?

http://drkronner.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/rum-ham2.jpg

mqtirishfan
10-09-2011, 11:41 PM
That is an interesting way to spell plateauing.

eltwentyone
10-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Um, yeah, you can stop with the crying Jon Hamm. Look at me, I learned how to post pictures!!!!

Learning is fun !!!!

Brent
10-09-2011, 11:43 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhglfhRxn51qemqywo1_500.png

eltwentyone
10-09-2011, 11:50 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhglfhRxn51qemqywo1_500.png

http://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/drizzy-jawn.png?w=599&h=449

FUNBUNCHER
10-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Matt Ryan is the ELi Manning of the NFCS. He can make just enough throws to win games if he has protection and a running game to lean on.

If the Falcons are expecting Ryan to win games by himself with a few playmaking pieces around him on offense, I don't think his game is there yet, or ever will be.

IMO the Falcons should really jack their D with a couple more studs, solidify their Oline and make their run game more consistent.

Ryan isn't a top 10 QB right now and may never be, but he is in that top 15 range and good enough to win on a talented football team.

If Matt Ryan was the Ravens QB, I think they would have been in the AFCC the last two seasons.

eltwentyone
10-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Matt Ryan is the ELi Manning of the NFCS. He can make just enough throws to win games if he has protection and a running game to lean on.

If the Falcons are expecting Ryan to win games by himself with a few playmaking pieces around him on offense, I don't think his game is there yet, or ever will be.

IMO the Falcons should really jack their D with a couple more studs, solidify their Oline and make their run game more consistent.

Ryan isn't a top 10 QB right now and may never be, but he is in that top 15 range and good enough to win on a talented football team.

If Matt Ryan was the Ravens QB, I think they would have been in the AFCC the last two seasons.

i agree, they got time

TitanHope
10-10-2011, 12:03 AM
http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2010/09/MAD-MEN-THE-SUITCASE-48.jpg

http://www.celebritysentry.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/1310974816-64.jpg

KEEP IT GOING!

bored of education
10-10-2011, 12:10 AM

KEEP IT GOING!
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s182/c0ldb33r/Welcome_To_The_Internet.jpg

yo123
10-10-2011, 12:12 AM

KEEP IT GOING!

7I7Ue2wX6iQ

That's Brandi Chastain not Mia Hamm! I mean....I don't watch women's soccer.

A Perfect Score
10-10-2011, 07:54 AM

Stop being hilarious, I can't rep you anymore.

RUM HAM!

On an entirely unrelated note...

http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/500316-1Bubby68/316/40/pikachu_display.gif

Brent
10-10-2011, 07:59 AM
http://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/drizzy-jawn.png?w=599&h=449
Matt Ryan has a baby face.

Flyboy
10-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Last year, I heard whispers of these talks within the Atlanta Falcons organization.. I believe Charley Casserly reported it.

bucfan12
10-10-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm not about to say a guy like Matt Ryan is descending. You have to remember, it's week 5, not week 12. His play hasn't been poor, but it hasn't been great either. I remember back when Ryan was a rookie, there was all positive reports on Mike Murlaky doing wonders with the offense. According to Falcons fans now, he seems to have regressed as a game planner/play caller.

The offensive line was solid last year for them, but it really seems to be struggling.

As much as some people will have a hard time dealing with this, but I think the lockout has hurt the younger teams in the league, such as the Falcons, who probably needed all that time and work with coaches before training camp. Matt Ryan isn't exactly a seasoned vet. I still view him as a young QB who can develop into a top 10 guy, if he isn't already.

Rosebud
10-10-2011, 11:12 AM

I'm just really confused by this bold part, you say he's the Eli of the NFC South and then proceed to illustrate how he's not like Eli yet. Eli Manning has lead plenty of game winning drives with **** protection, no running game and confused receivers. Just because both guys play on run heavy teams that don't let them air it out like Rivers, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton, Romo, Schaub and Stafford do, doesn't make them the same QB.

georgiafan
10-10-2011, 11:17 AM
There is alot of blame to go around and not all of it has to do with Matt Ryan. Turner is no longer and a elite HB like he was 2 years. Because of that the offense has started to throw way to many passes. Going into this weeks game the falcons had the 2nd highest % of passes thrown of any team. Ryan isnt the kind of QB who can throe 40+ passes a game and be good. Also the OL struggled early on but hasnt gave up a sack the last 2 weeks

JHL6719
10-10-2011, 02:25 PM
I think he's easily a top 10 QB and will only get better. Roddy White has been dropping TD passes left and right. Michael Turner isn't an elite RB.

When the Iceman makes a big play all on his own (like the 50+ yard gain yesterday where he scrambled out of the pocket) it's gets called back on a phantom holding call by the oline.

Aaron Rodgers didn't get hot and start playing at the level he's currently playing at until after the midway point of the season last year. He was still just an above average QB at this point last year. Not the best QB that's ever played the game that he's viewed as now.

Ryan still has time to get it turned around, but the guys around him need to start making plays. I'll take him over guys like Flacco and Mike Vick I know that.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-10-2011, 02:45 PM
I actually think the Eli Manning comparison is becoming quite dead on. Want him to break out and do more, but it just doesn't happen. More than capable of winning games by himself, but isn't in that upper echelon.

While he's certainly not in as great as situation as you'd think with names like White, Jones, Gonzalez, and Turner, he really should be doing more. The only game I place very little blame on him thus far would be the Bears game, because our OL made me envious of the Bears for a game.

DraftSavant
10-10-2011, 02:49 PM
There is a spectrum when it comes to offensive players: "contributing piece" is on one end and "foundation player" is on the other end. Every offensive skill position player falls on some point of that spectrum.

A foundation player is exactly what it sounds like: he is the focal point of the offense. The offense is designed to flow through him; he carries the most responsibility; he is most responsible for the outcome of the game and the performance of other players on the offense. Think Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc.

That's not to say that only quarterbacks are foundation players. Adrian Peterson is a foundation player. Same for Ray Rice. Andre and Calvin Johnson are foundation players.

The other side of the spectrum are the "contributing pieces." These are your "game manager" QBs (although I hate that cliche), your platoon runningbacks, and specialized receivers.

Previously, Matt Ryan has done well because he has only been asked to be a contributing piece of the Atlanta offense. Michael Turner has been their foundation player in the past: when he's healthy and productive, they win and make the playoffs. Ryan has shown the capability of making NFL throws, being able to run an offense, etc. He's an NFL quarterback, and, thusly, should show those abilities. Matt Cassel was able to do the same last year when he had an elite running game, manageable 3rd down situations, solid defensive play, etc.

However, the Falcons are clearly in a transitory phase and trying to convert from a ball control offense where the running game is the foundation into a more up-tempo, open offense where the quarterback ist he foundation (not too unlike San Diego a few years ago, when the torch was getting passed from LDT to Rivers). The Jets are in a similar situation.

If these struggles continue all season for Ryan and Sanchez, I think it's clear you put them on the "contributing pieces" side of the scale. The question for those teams then becomes: do we try to upgrade the quarterback position or do we upgrade every other spot around him? It's nearly impossible to be a consistent winner in this league with a quarterback who is a contributing piece, as opposed to the foundation of your offense.

Brent
10-10-2011, 03:06 PM
how is Von Miller looking? I haven't watched a Broncos game this year.

FUNBUNCHER
10-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm just really confused by this bold part, you say he's the Eli of the NFC South and then proceed to illustrate how he's not like Eli yet. Eli Manning has lead plenty of game winning drives with **** protection, no running game and confused receivers. Just because both guys play on run heavy teams that don't let them air it out like Rivers, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton, Romo, Schaub and Stafford do, doesn't make them the same QB.

I meant more so at this point in Ryan's career, that's the QB he most reminds me of. I think Eli is better than Matt Ryan right now and capable of improvising when things aren't in synch on offense for the Giants.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-10-2011, 03:23 PM
If these struggles continue all season for Ryan and Sanchez, I think it's clear you put them on the "contributing pieces" side of the scale. The question for those teams then becomes: do we try to upgrade the quarterback position or do we upgrade every other spot around him? It's nearly impossible to be a consistent winner in this league with a quarterback who is a contributing piece, as opposed to the foundation of your offense.

You'd have to think Sanchez would be in more immediate danger here. More scrutiny in NY, and Ryan can probably continue to hold onto the "turned around the franchise" thing for a few more seasons.

I'd have to imagine the Falcons play this offseason is to upgrade the OL, specifically LT.

RaiderNation
10-10-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm still on my Falcons to the Superbowl prediction from before the season. It's still only week 5 and even though they haven't been a "wow" team like the Packers or Patriots, I still have seen some things I like. If they can solve the oline issues Ryan and the offense will play much better. The defense has greatly improved IMO.

The Packers started 3-3 last year and barely got in as a wild card team. People write off teams way to early.

nepg
10-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Aaron Rodgers is the QB of the Green Bay Packers.

Shane P. Hallam
10-10-2011, 03:44 PM

Beastly! Racking up sacks.

CC.SD
10-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Aaron Rodgers is the QB of the Green Bay Packers.

Ray Rice plays running back for the Ravens!

My post count is in binary!

Bulldogs
10-10-2011, 07:40 PM
People wrote him off early last season too, he will rebound.

SolidGold
10-10-2011, 08:20 PM
It seems they are forcing the ball to Jones to much so far this season. They need to get Douglas more involved working the slot.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-10-2011, 08:36 PM
It seems they are forcing the ball to Jones to much so far this season. They need to get Douglas more involved working the slot.

I originally thought the same, but right now, Julio's our best WR. Roddy is a drops machine, and HD just isn't very good. A Randall Cobb would be awesome for this offense.