PDA

View Full Version : Melvin Ingram - Middle Linebacker?

DeathbyStat
10-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Do people on here feel that South Carolina's Melvin Ingram would an effective middle linebacker in a 3-4 scheme?

nepg
10-10-2011, 06:13 PM
I like him as a DE for the Patriots.

mqtirishfan
10-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Do people on here feel that South Carolina's Melvin Ingram would an effective middle linebacker in a 3-4 scheme?

If by MLB, you mean DL or possibly OLB, then yes.

bengalbuck
10-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Not the craziest thing I've ever heard. He's very similar size and speed-wise to David Pollack coming out of college. And Pollack was actually moved to 4-3 OLB (and nickle rush DE) and was really coming on at that position before his injury.

M.O.T.H.
10-10-2011, 10:57 PM
He'd be an OLB in the scheme...he's a natural pass rusher with fantastic atheltic ability. He's got the quickness, burst, and closing ability to get serious 34 OLB consideration.

MI_Buckeye
10-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Anything is possible with Ingram. I think any team that takes him early will do so for his versatility.

For a reference, Mike Vrabel took a somewhat similar career path. Started as a DE and ended up at ILB.

Duffman57
10-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Anything is possible with Ingram. I think any team that takes him early will do so for his versatility.

For a reference, Mike Vrabel took a somewhat similar career path. Started as a DE and ended up at ILB.

As did Lawrence Timmons (though currently he is playing OLB for the injured Harrison.

bored of education
10-11-2011, 10:04 PM
This is the same damn thread as the Allen Bailey- 34 olb thread. DBS if you started that one I will ..... you

M.O.T.H.
10-11-2011, 10:37 PM

You never know, but that would come down the line. Right now, he's a legitimate 34 OLB prospect. No one is looking at him to play ILB any time soon.

But I do agree that he's just a good football player...who can probably play several positions effectively at the next level.

RaiderNation
10-12-2011, 12:29 AM
Perfect DE/OLB for the Patriots depending on scheme.

nepg
10-17-2011, 03:45 AM
Perfect DE/OLB for the Patriots depending on scheme.
He's a great fit in their Nickel 4-3 defense, but I think they're going back to a 3-4 base in 2012, and I'm not sure how good of a fit he'd be in that event. The Pats run a 4-3 this year because the shortened off-season didn't allow them to fully integrate new players into all of their packages. That's why Andre Carter and Mark Anderson were brought in. Easy fits in their nickel defense.