PDA

View Full Version : Mangini turns down Eagles

Giantsfan1080
10-12-2011, 02:16 PM
The Eagles tried to hire the Mangenious as a defensive consultant and he turned them down. Things are going to get very ugly in Philadelphia as Reid is denying he ever tried to hire anyone.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/12/report-mangini-turned-down-eagles-defensive-consultant-job/

tjsunstein
10-12-2011, 02:29 PM
And these are the things that will get Andy Reid fired.
It's been a domino effect ever since he hired an OL coach as DC.
I honestly don't even feel bad for them.

MetSox17
10-12-2011, 02:32 PM
bahahahaha

diabsoule
10-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I don't see any way Reid retains his job after this year

tjsunstein
10-12-2011, 03:09 PM
I don't see any way Reid retains his job after this year
Make the playoffs and he would keep it.

CC.SD
10-12-2011, 03:38 PM
lol i guess mangini has a rep to protect?

descendency
10-12-2011, 03:38 PM
I think the Eagles will give Andy a pass for one bad year...

diabsoule
10-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Make the playoffs and he would keep it.

Only way I see them making the playoffs is by winning the division and I don't think they can do that.

tjsunstein
10-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Only way I see them making the playoffs is by winning the division and I don't think they can do that.
Not saying that they can or will, but that's the only way Reid is coaching the Eagles next year.

If Mangini came in and 'consulted', I think he would have moved up quite quickly I feel. Especially if they're defense starting playing better but they still missed the playoffs.

DraftSavant
10-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Reid's got one more year left on his deal. I know the PHI is a big-market team with deep pockets, but I just don't know that they'd eat the $10 million owed to him AND pay a new coach. I think he'll still be there next year.

bucfan12
10-12-2011, 08:49 PM
They're 1-4 and have to play the Jets, Patriots, Cowboys and Redskins 2x each, @ NYG, and Chicago. I see atleast 3 more losses in those 8 games.

They're front 7 is horrible against the run. The LBs can't tackle at all either.

Complex
10-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Mangini denies it

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/12/mangini-denies-that-he-has-been-contacted-by-eagles/

nepg
10-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Mangini probably denying it as a courtesy to Reid. There's not much to gain for Mangini taking that job. He'd have to uproot himself to go to a team in the middle of the season - taking on a position that really doesn't give him much power. Basically, Reid wanted to hire him to teach his defensive coaches how to coach defense. If Mangini plans to go back to coaching next year, why would he ever want to divulge his secrets to a team that plays a completely different style of defense? Makes no sense.

The Eagles just wanted him to help beat teams like the Cowboys, who run a defense that Mangini is very familiar with.

SolidGold
10-13-2011, 06:56 AM
Might just be another case of ESPN trying to manufacture news rather than just report on it

Matthew Jones
10-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Mangini probably denying it as a courtesy to Reid. There's not much to gain for Mangini taking that job. He'd have to uproot himself to go to a team in the middle of the season - taking on a position that really doesn't give him much power. Basically, Reid wanted to hire him to teach his defensive coaches how to coach defense. If Mangini plans to go back to coaching next year, why would he ever want to divulge his secrets to a team that plays a completely different style of defense? Makes no sense.

The Eagles just wanted him to help beat teams like the Cowboys, who run a defense that Mangini is very familiar with.

Hit the nail on the head there. That said, despite my personal hatred of Mangini for obvious reasons, the dude deserves to be a head coach or at least a defensive coordinator. It baffles me that one of the smartest coaches in the league doesn't have a job.

ImBrotherCain
10-13-2011, 10:20 AM
I think the Eagles will give Andy a pass for one bad year...

Just like the Red Sox gave Francona a pass for a bad year after being projected to go to the WS...

I think Reid has just hung on too long and if they don't make the playoffs hes gone.

descendency
10-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Just like the Red Sox gave Francona a pass for a bad year after being projected to go to the WS...

I really don't feel those are comparable though. There is so much coming out now that suggests that a ton of **** was going on and that Francona had basically lost control.

If that were true, I could see the Eagles firing Andy... but I still doubt it's true.

Jughead10
10-13-2011, 04:00 PM

I think Reid has just hung on too long and if they don't make the playoffs hes gone.

Haha and Francona has rings, Andy obviously has none.

keylime_5
10-13-2011, 04:06 PM
it's one thing to not make the playoffs after you blow having the best record in the American League with two months to go whilst having a team salary that is at least 3 times larger than most teams in the sport...it's a little different in the NFL where everyone has the same salary cap # to meet. Granted the Eagles loaded up on big names this year in free agency, but apparently having lousy play at safety, linebacker, and offensive line wasn't a priority.