PDA

View Full Version : Jared Crick Out For The Season

diabsoule
10-12-2011, 02:32 PM
From Brian Christopherson - Husker football beat writer for the Lincoln Journal Star:

Jared Crick has a torn pectoral muscle and is out for the rest of the season, according to head coach Bo Pelini.

What does this do for his draft stock?

SolidGold
10-12-2011, 02:43 PM
It probably knocks him out of round 1. He should still be a 2nd round pick. He was injured pretty much all year and was not playing at 100% but his body of work overall is very good. His versatility will help him out as well, he can b a 5 technique in a 3-4, DE in 4-3 or DT in 4-3.

Hopefully he is ready for the combine and maybe the senior bowl (not sure how long this takes to recover from).

Grizzlegom
10-12-2011, 03:39 PM
I was just contemplating this myself. A torn pectoral is typically a season-ending injury even when suffered in early training camp (see Elvis Dumervil) so I don't think he'll even be able to workout before the draft. The one thing he has going for him is that his position isn't overly strong in this draft. I think he could still find himself in the first round if he recovers quicker than usual but I agree with the 2nd round assessment at this point.

ElectricEye
10-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Terrible, terrible news for Crick. He could have moved up a lot of boards with a good season. Really hope the Patriots take a look at him early in the second round still....but I would love to see him get a chance to do some of the post-season stuff. He's the type of guy who could show up big in Mobile.

RaiderNation
10-12-2011, 05:33 PM
I see him dropping as a late 1st to mid 2nd. A 3-4 team like Green Bay could benefit from this since they need a pass rushing DE.

TheFinisher
10-12-2011, 05:46 PM
He'll be a Cowboy, Dallas loves spending high 2nd Rounders on players who fall due to injury (Sean Lee '10, Bruce Carter '11).

Big Bird
10-12-2011, 06:14 PM
He was massively overrated before, but it's still unfortunate for him. At least now nobody will have him in the 1st Round anymore because he didn't belong there in the first place.

TitanHope
10-12-2011, 06:16 PM
First Super Mario and now Crick.

DL's need to take better care of their boobies.

tjsunstein
10-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Packers need to look at Crick as a real possibility.

fenikz
10-12-2011, 06:32 PM
i feel like the pats will end up with him for whatever reason

keylime_5
10-12-2011, 06:33 PM
he wasn't having that good of a season, and not playing the rest of the way isn't gonna help the bad taste he left in the mouths of scouts.

SolidGold
10-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Crick seemed to battle injuries all season. I don't think scouts can downgrade him because of his injuries. Last year he answered a lot of questions about his play after Suh left. He could of entered the draft and been a first round pick.

Leon Sandcastle
10-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Someone is going to get a solid player in the 2nd round. I think that's where his talent is more justified honestly.

killxswitch
10-13-2011, 11:54 AM
2nd rounder and he will probably be looked at as a good value 3 years after he's drafted. Teams often overreact to injuries like this and go for healthy guys that have no chance to be as good.

SolidGold
10-13-2011, 12:18 PM
If someone like Robert Quinn who really only had one year of productivity and than sat out a year and was still picked 14th overall I have to believe Crick will be no later than early second round.

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I still think Crick is a first rounder. The upside he has at a rather weak position in this year's draft is hard to pass up if you have the need. Sure, you're going to wait a little before he's back to 100% but when he's healthy he can be a solid starter in the NFL for years at a crucial position.*

*I like him more at 3-4 DE.

Matthew Jones
10-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Please come to New England!

AntoinCD
10-13-2011, 01:08 PM
If someone like Robert Quinn who really only had one year of productivity and than sat out a year and was still picked 14th overall I have to believe Crick will be no later than early second round.

I agree with the sentiment but Quinn is a legitimate double digit sack threat from off the edge. In a passing league that pretty much trumps everything but QB and LT.

Crick's ceiling is a very good 5 technique or a good 43 DE or DT. Even if fully healthy going into the draft he probably wouldn't go higher than 15. I could see him fall to the late second easily.

SolidGold
10-13-2011, 01:26 PM
I read on CBSSports.com that Crick injured his pectoral muscle in the Washington game on Sept. 17 so he has played the last couple games with the injury (he sat out the Wyoming game).

Crick's versatility should help him out though. He could definitely be a 5-technique in a 3-4, also play inside or outside in a 4-3. I would argue he would be a more valuable commodity to a team than a pure 4-3 pass rusher like Quinn.

Babylon
10-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Please come to New England!

He could be this years JJ Watt in terms of the guy Pats fans were clamoring for.

Crick statistically was as good last year as he was a couple of years ago when he played with Suh but i thought his impact was a little less. For me he needs to be around some talent to really be productive.

As for the injury he needs to prove at some point he's healthy otherwise it shouldnt do much to hurt his stock. There are plenty of cases where guys sit out near a whole season and dont see that much of a dropoff.

I think he'd be fine in a 4-3 but ideally he looks like a prototype 3-4 DE. I'd play him there on most downs and then when teams tend to go to 4 down on long passing downs i'd move him inside.

Iamcanadian
10-13-2011, 01:40 PM
I still think Crick is a first rounder. The upside he has at a rather weak position in this year's draft is hard to pass up if you have the need. Sure, you're going to wait a little before he's back to 100% but when he's healthy he can be a solid starter in the NFL for years at a crucial position.*

*I like him more at 3-4 DE.

I agree, as long as the doctors give his recovery a clean bill of health, there is no reason he won't see late round 1 or very early round 2.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-13-2011, 01:50 PM
He was massively overrated before, but it's still unfortunate for him. At least now nobody will have him in the 1st Round anymore because he didn't belong there in the first place.

This. And he needs to be drafted by a 34 team.

SolidGold
10-13-2011, 01:58 PM
I'd argue that Crick is in the same class as Cameron Jordan and Heyward who were both first round DEs picked. All are around the same size and have the same type of game.

descendency
10-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Maybe he can fall into the second or third where the Patriots will finally accept they have to actually address the DL and they will draft him. . .

HellonEarth84
10-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Seems like a Patriots type of pick.

They've drafted injured players at good value in recent drafts (Marcus Cannon, Brandon Tate) and players with minor drug issues (Aaron Hernendez, Ryan Mallet)

They'll take a long hard look at Crick if he's on the board late 1st or mid 2nd

vidae
10-15-2011, 10:09 AM
He'd be a great second rounder for the Chiefs for sure.