Borat
10-13-2011, 02:17 AM
Week 6:
Sunday, October 16, 2011

http://www.fourt9rkim.com/vslions.gif

San Francisco 49ers (4-1)
at
Detroit Lions (5-0)

Location: http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/cities/detroit/images/fordfield_inside.JPG

Time: 10:00 am pst

Bigger surprise this year: Niners start 4-1 or Lions start 5-0? This game is much bigger than I anticipated coming into the year. Also sucks that I want to root for the Lions and instead we have to face them. And depending on what some of our resident Lions' fans say this week, I may end up hating them. I hate that.

Uhhhhh, not real optimistic about what we can do with this guy:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n247/sabufoo/suh.jpg

Dude, they take that 5-0 record seriously.

Suh is a badass. I mean, I don't care about this:
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Ndamukong+Suh+Cleveland+Browns+v+Detroit+Lions+XJk 2unX2Iuol.jpg

or this:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kejkPOssTHg/TRuZ517bRQI/AAAAAAAAAFk/E21tosM2ROY/s1600/suh.jpg

or this:
http://www.obsessedwithsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Ndamukong-Suh-Lions.png

I just want this guy to come down with the flu soon.

Oh, and this is pretty unfair:
http://themajors.net/detroit/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/n_fairley_n_suh_110429_CP.jpg

If this guy gets on the field, we're ******:
http://prod.static.49ers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/photos/2008_training_camp/training_camp_july_28_thru_august_3/chilo-rachal--nfl_large_580_1000.jpg

So, no more of this:
http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2011/10/12/101211-NFL-49ers-Josh-Morgan-PI_20111012155737817_660_320.JPG

But hey, we got this guy now:
http://www.news10.net/images/640/360/2/assetpool/images/111012092236_brett-swain-san-francisco-4.jpg

They got this guy too:
http://botchthecrab.com/archive/decepticon/1984/megatron.jpg

Damn.
http://webbmania.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/calvinjohnson.jpg

Sh!t.
http://footballhunger.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/calvin-johnson.jpg

Oh, that is whack.
http://www.lionsgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/calvin-johnson-catch.jpg

But this guy is back:
http://awtlblog.vitsco.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Optimus-Prime.jpg

Ooops, meant this guy:
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1107/nfl-top-free-agents-peter-king/images/dashon-goldson.jpg

Watch ya head, Tron.

Standings: It's a battle of two first place teams!!

NFC West
1. San Francisco 49ers (4-1)
2. Seattle Seahawks (2-3)
3. Arizona Cardinals (1-4)
4. St. Louis Rams (0-4)

NFC North
1. Detroit Lions (5-0)
1. Green Bay Packers (5-0)
3. Chicago Bears (2-3)
4. Minnesota Vikings (1-4)

Special Note: LOL St. Louis.

Ness
10-13-2011, 02:50 AM
Yeah I really don't have a good feeling about this game. Detroit looks better and we're on the road. Our offensive line I still don't trust and Iupati might not play. We're really getting banged up. Michael Crabtree needs to step his game up. I have a feeling running the ball will be difficult and the game might be in Alex's hands. He'll have to bail us out.

The most glaring thing for me is our offense, as usual. The passing game is getting better, but I still can't trust Alex yet. This is a good opportunity for him to further cement the perception that he's actually improving. We'll see.

BRAVEHEART
10-13-2011, 03:11 AM
Who's supposed to be Prime?

binary
10-13-2011, 03:23 AM
Who's supposed to be Prime?

Dashon Goldson..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkYuK3AKrxc

abaddon41_80
10-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Any news from the 49ers on who is going to be mainly covering Megatron? Part of me wants Culliver because I would like to see what he can do and he does have the physicality to not be manhandled by CJ. On the other hand, Spencer has performed well against bigger, physical receivers in the past. Either way, I want whoever is on him, as well as Goldson when he gets the chance, to be incredibly physical with him. Maybe we can wear him down by the end of the game.

Menardo75
10-13-2011, 09:24 AM
To tell the truth I'm really not that worried about Calvin. The Niners have played the lions a couple times since they have had him, and he hasn't been a factor. Granted Stafford wasn't playing in those games I still don't think it will be the huge deal everyone is making it out to be.

abaddon41_80
10-13-2011, 11:04 AM
To tell the truth I'm really not that worried about Calvin. The Niners have played the lions a couple times since they have had him, and he hasn't been a factor. Granted Stafford wasn't playing in those games I still don't think it will be the huge deal everyone is making it out to be.

In 2008 we held him to 40 yards on four receptions but a lot of that was Nate Clements. When Clements was out in 2009, CJ had seven catches for 96 yards. Say what you will about Clements but he was good at covering bigger receivers.

noondog
10-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Lions are coming off an emotional MNF division win and the Niners will definitely be up for this game. I hope I'm wrong, but I think San Fran walks away with a W on Sunday.

BRAVEHEART
10-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Dashon Goldson..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkYuK3AKrxc

So Calvin's gonna kill him. Nate Burleson is Starscream, and Stafford is Soundwave?

binary
10-13-2011, 02:24 PM
So Calvin's gonna kill him. Nate Burleson is Starscream, and Stafford is Soundwave?

Justin Smith is Rodimus.

VAfy-ya
10-13-2011, 05:40 PM

I like Rodgers on Megatron. Rodgers is a very good press CB. He's got get size and good hips. He had a problem playing the ball well in press but that looks to be improving. That being said, we have to use alot of looks.....trap zones, combo coverages, man-zone to confuse Stafford. And we CAN NOT let Megatron get off the line clean. Absolutely under no circumstances. And we have to have either line-up either Rodgers or Spencer on CJ eclusively. We cant let Brown end up on him or its going to be trouble.

49erNation85
10-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Borat your game day threads get better ever week.I don't know if i should laugh or enjoy.But they are just funny and a good read.The pics and words always match some how.But this game is gonna be fun to watch.I just hope our offense can hold up and get rockin early on. I'm glade I am home to watch this game so gonna be fun!!!

GO 49ERS!!!

binary
10-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Greg Cosell said that Culliver would be a good guy to have cover Megatron...I think not.

Ness
10-14-2011, 02:08 AM
Greg Cosell said that Culliver would be a good guy to have cover Megatron...I think not.

Yeah I heard that too. Culliver might be a good player in this league, but I'm not sure if he's ready to go toe to toe with Megatron yet.

BRAVEHEART
10-14-2011, 02:20 AM
I think he's ready.

Ness
10-14-2011, 03:43 AM
By the way we were only 2/7 on third down last game for offense. That really bothers me.

abaddon41_80
10-14-2011, 06:39 AM
We don't have anyone on our roster who can really cover CJ and Culliver is probably our most physically gifted CB so why not him? Megatron is likely going to destroy whoever is covering him but at least Culliver has the best chance of bringing him down when he does get the ball. And, like I said earlier, maybe a physical corner could wear him down so he doesn't do any damage at the end of the game.

@Ness - I am more encouraged that we only had seven third downs. Besides, on all but one of those we needed 8+ yards and one of them was with CK in. Two of five on third and 8+ isn't bad.

Madirishman
10-14-2011, 10:42 AM
NOBODY can be expected to cover CJ straight up. He's an elite player, but with proper scheming, (what the Niners success has been built on this season) they can minimize the potential damage he can do. I think having Rogers shadow him with Goldson laying the wood early to send a message would be the best plan. Cully is an athlete, but he's not ready to go with CJ one-on-one. That would be a mistake. Give the kid some more work before they throw him to the Lion. LOL

I'd like this game a lot more if it was a home game but it will be a good test on the road for the Niners. I see the potential for a let-down game for either team, but I expect both teams to compete intensely as these are two franchises that have had their a$$es kicked a lot in recent years; they both want payback.

In watching the Lions games this season, it is not a fluke that they are 5-0 as they have some elite talent at a couple positions but they do have holes and flaws and haven't achieved their record easily. They have had to come from behind a couple times to pull W's. Stafford can make all the throws (they won on Monday night with him overthrowing open receivers for would-be big gains 3-4 times) but he will also make errors when he has pressure in his face. He's still a developing player and you have to remember that this game is only his 20-something NFL start. Fangio needs to turn up Aldon and the heat. If Stafford has time, our secondary is toast.

Their D line is a great group but their linebackers are average (with some speed) and other than Delmas at FS, their secondary isn't an elite group, and can be susceptible to giving up large gains in the passing game.

The Niners have been doing a great job stopping the run and Best has done well when given space. His game is speed and if he doesn't get going, then he isn't nearly as effective. I like the matchup with Willis and Bowman going after Best sideline to sideline.

I believe the key for the Niners is getting a fast start offensively and converting for TDs, not FGs, when they have opportunities. Some good scoring with a variety of pressures on Stafford will give the Niners the best chance to win.

abaddon41_80
10-14-2011, 10:48 AM
I still think playing him like we did in 2008 would work best. Have our biggest and strongest corners try and jam him up at the LoS but always have a safety sliding that way in case they can't. Make him work for every reception. Or we could run Nolan's "Big Nickel" and just let him catch 5-10 yard passes all day and hope he doesn't break tackles.

Frankly, I am more worried about their screen game. They run the RB screen as well as almost anyone in the league and we have been known to over-commit/get upfield too quickly and defend it poorly.

binary
10-14-2011, 02:48 PM
I still think playing him like we did in 2008 would work best. Have our biggest and strongest corners try and jam him up at the LoS but always have a safety sliding that way in case they can't. Make him work for every reception. Or we could run Nolan's "Big Nickel" and just let him catch 5-10 yard passes all day and hope he doesn't break tackles.

Frankly, I am more worried about their screen game. They run the RB screen as well as almost anyone in the league and we have been known to over-commit/get upfield too quickly and defend it poorly.

damn, Best on a screen is about as scary as it gets.

Ness
10-15-2011, 05:25 AM
The Smith-Crabtree connection needs to take off soon.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Other match up that worries me is Brandon Pettigrew. Feel like he is going to give the 49ers the same type of problems they had trying to cover Jason Witten.

Scotty D
10-16-2011, 12:51 AM
Here's to a hard fought game with no injuries.

BRAVEHEART
10-16-2011, 04:23 AM
GL 9'er fans. Hopefully we'll meet again in the playoffs.

Ness
10-16-2011, 12:08 PM
I knew the 49ers would screw up on their first offensive play. Looks like it's going to be a long day.

hawkeye123
Go jump off a bridge Staley

Brent
Well this isn't a good start.

Rabscuttle
10-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Chicken Little sighting

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Chicken Little sighting

Frederick P Soft?

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Aldon Smith. Beast Mode!!!!!!!

Brent
10-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Just an ugly half. We're lucky it's still a close game.

abaddon41_80
10-16-2011, 01:45 PM
That was a pretty encouraging first half, tbh. We played about as poorly as we have all season; 11 penalties, two dropped passes and a turnover in our own territory; and yet we are still winning.

Rabscuttle
10-16-2011, 01:54 PM
We played horrible and are still in it. That's a good sign. Davis may not know the snap count or when the whistle has blown but he is ready to throw down. Suh isn't liking having guys give it back in the least nor are their other guys.

Secondary hasn't turned guys loose. Have to keep receivers close and keep tackling. Defence will need to get a turnover or two.

Offence just needs to go about its business.

BRAVEHEART
10-16-2011, 01:59 PM
I will give this to ya'll. 9'ers can tackle in the open field. Good tackling team right here.

Rabscuttle
10-16-2011, 02:36 PM
God, just take this game. It's right there. This is such an easy game to win. Just execute, there is nothing stopping the offence except drops and bad timing. That d-line is completely confused and beat up out there.

Then that, ball control alex, no reason to force the issue.

BRAVEHEART
10-16-2011, 02:39 PM
False Start them to death.

BRAVEHEART
10-16-2011, 02:40 PM
YEAH!!!!!!

there we go!

EDIT

meant for Week 6 thread.

Rabscuttle
10-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Aldon Smith isn't too bad for a big puppy.

And not the punter Ginn

BRAVEHEART
10-16-2011, 03:33 PM
GG, 9er fans. The better team won. that was no fluke.

Ya'll earned it coming to detroit, playing in a hostile place, and coming out with the W.

VAfy-ya
10-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Great ****** win. Horrible moment at the end tho. I kno your excited Harbs but you can't do that. And **** Jim Scwartz and his, puseudo-tough guy posturing at the end. But Harbs was dead wrong. Anyways.......tough, gritty win on the road. I love this team. Let's heal up during the bye and get better. Who has it better than us? NOOOOOOOOBODY!!!!

Brent
10-16-2011, 04:12 PM
I didn't see this post-game scruff. I feel left out.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-16-2011, 04:13 PM
I didn't see this post-game scruff. I feel left out.

"What's your deal" Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrqBDdFn4V0&feature=player_embedded

binary
10-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Alex was off the whole game, but he still should've had 2 tds if Walker doesn't drop that. I hate how inaccurate he is sometimes, can't wait to get Braylon back. Aldon Smith and Justin Smith are beastly, so is Ahmad Brooks.

I think it's obvious Crabtree will never be a #1 WR, now I don't even know if he'll ever be a 2...I think Morgan might've been better.

abaddon41_80
10-16-2011, 04:22 PM
It seems like Smith is only really inaccurate when he is targeting Crabtree.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Alex was off the whole game, but he still should've had 2 tds if Walker doesn't drop that. I hate how inaccurate he is sometimes, can't wait to get Braylon back. Aldon Smith and Justin Smith are beastly, so is Ahmad Brooks.

He was off but came through when it mattered. Wonder if this will finally shake the bull**** that Alex can't come through in the clutch or doesn't have "IT".

What a game by Aldon Smith: 4 tackles, 2 Sacks, Forced Fumble, Safety, and should have had an INT.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-16-2011, 04:25 PM
GG, 9er fans. The better team won. that was no fluke.

Ya'll earned it coming to detroit, playing in a hostile place, and coming out with the W.

Classy Post. Thanks. Good luck and see you guys in the playoffs.

abaddon41_80
10-16-2011, 04:33 PM
He was off but came through when it mattered. Wonder if this will finally shake the bull**** that Alex can't come through in the clutch or doesn't have "IT".

This so much. I don't understand what people want from Smith. He played a horrible game but when it mattered the most he made the plays he needed to even with Ted Ginn and Michael Crabtree as his top two receivers. Let us not forget that Walker had dropped a touchdown pass earlier and there were three or four other dropped passes that we on target. This year the 49ers have by far the highest percentage of dropped passes/attempt in the NFL and Smith still is somehow completing 63% of his passes with a 95 QB rating.

VAfy-ya
10-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Why is it Niner fans can't just enjoy the win? Crabs had a good game, why are trashing him as a #1 WR? Alex came through in the end. Defense didn't get torched. Aldon Smith looks like he should have been a top 5 pick. C'mon faithful, enjoy.....

Ness
10-16-2011, 04:44 PM
This so much. I don't understand what people want from Smith. He played a horrible game but when it mattered the most he made the plays he needed to even with Ted Ginn and Michael Crabtree as his top two receivers. Let us not forget that Walker had dropped a touchdown pass earlier and there were three or four other dropped passes that we on target. This year the 49ers have by far the highest percentage of dropped passes/attempt in the NFL and Smith still is somehow completing 63% of his passes with a 95 QB rating.

I want fantasy football numbers. I know I'm being selfish, but this would make me happy.

Ness
10-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Why is it Niner fans can't just enjoy the win? Crabs had a good game, why are trashing him as a #1 WR? Alex came through in the end. Defense didn't get torched. Aldon Smith looks like he should have been a top 5 pick. C'mon faithful, enjoy.....

I just keep thinking in the back of my mind this is going to be just a one year wonder fluke. Alex Smith is playing like the next Mark Rypien.

49erNation85
10-16-2011, 04:55 PM
That is just the thing it will be a just one year wonder with A.Smith he won't be this decsent next year.I will still enjoy the win.But I'm with Ness we want more 300 yard games from A.Smith but it will never happen at all.

Madirishman
10-16-2011, 04:58 PM
"What's your deal" Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrqBDdFn4V0&feature=player_embedded

That was epically better than the first with Carroll (from a pure entertainment standpoint).

Harbaugh should be excited but he blurred the line on that one, going a little Josh McDaniels. Schwartz did over-react though; both coaches looked silly on that, but definitely entertaining nonetheless.

Great game and win for the Niners. Too much influence from the refs on both sides. A lot of close calls but also a lot of ticky-tack BS too.

Alex was not impressive until the throw he needed the most. To his credit, he made it and was again efficient in the red zone...BUT on that cross play, Delanie got it with 2 defenders on him and Crabs was wide open in the endzone for a WIDE OPEN score. If Walker doesn't fight and barely get in, that decision by Alex to not read and see Crabs would have been magnified.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-16-2011, 04:59 PM
That is just the thing it will be a just one year wonder with A.Smith he won't be this decsent next year.I will still enjoy the win.But I'm with Ness we want more 300 yard games from A.Smith but it will never happen at all.

lol you gotta be kidding me. When Shaun Hill was here all I friggin heard from 49ers fans was "he just wins games." Give Alex some credit. He just threw the game winning TD, on the road, against an undefeated team. Give him some due. We are 5-1 with him at the helm.

abaddon41_80
10-16-2011, 05:07 PM

Alex Smith was just as good last year as he is this year. If he finishes out this year with around 20 touchdowns, 8 interceptions, 3000 yards and a 95 rating then I don't see why we wouldn't believe he can continue that level of play.

Madirishman
10-16-2011, 05:12 PM
I know it wasn't his intention, but Harbaugh and his postgame handshake with Schwartz and Schwartz's bad reaction is going to steal all the media coverage away from an impressive 49ers victory on the road, beating an undefeated Lions team. The media is already going ape*** with the exchange, blowing it up out of proportion. Sigh. Oh well.

Good win fellas! 5-1 is much better than ANY of us predicted! AND, we have a lot of (presumably) easier division games left, including 2 against STL, which will give them the opportunity to have their best regular season record in a long time, have at least one home playoff game, and build some momentum. They will be competitive so long ad they play great D and run the ball effectively.

Brent
10-16-2011, 05:23 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/idiotnumbr3/anthonydavis.jpg

BRAVEHEART
10-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Damn, **** is getting real. Harbaugh made this into something bigger than what it is. Good for the NFL though. This is mad entertaining right here.

Madirishman
10-16-2011, 05:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/idiotnumbr3/anthonydavis.jpg

Nastiness. Looks like this was a continuation from what started in the tunnel after the game.

Davis still has a long way to go but he does have a mean streak and cares about the game and winning. He'll mature in time and hopefully he and Staley can continue to improve, otherwise OT will again be a Draft need for us in April, looking for depth/potential starter As early as Round 2. Davis is still very young and raw.

Brent
10-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Damn, **** is getting real. Harbaugh made this into something bigger than what it is. Good for the NFL though. This is mad entertaining right here.
I thought "go home play with your kids and go to bed" was funny.

Rabscuttle
10-16-2011, 05:34 PM
So 5-1. Our season was over a few weeks ago....

Even playing poorly, the team comes up with a victory against an undefeated team in the eastern time zone.

Instead of shrinking against the untoppable Megatron and Suh our guys met them. In fact Gore credits Suh's mouth for inspiring our line.

Clutch play by Alex when the team had to have it. A couple of guys needed to play tougher - Ginn, Crabs. Alex can't fall back into trying to do too much, one pick and just about more disaster. No need to panic the d will get the ball back and keep the team in it.

Penalites kept the team from getting things going. Too bad, would have been nice to continue implementing the scheme instead of eking out a win. Detroit isn't as good as their record and we aren't either at this point. The league just sucks so much the last decade plus that mediocre looks good. Still need to take advantage of that.

Fangio is good. D-line is solid. Our linebackers omg. Secondary held up okay. Culliver just may be a keepr. Didn't know much about him when he was picked.

Madirishman
10-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Damn, **** is getting real. Harbaugh* made this into something bigger than what it is. Good for the NFL though. This is mad entertaining right here.

*And Schwartz's huge overreaction IMHO. He could have just have had words for Harbaugh but he took a (seemingly unintentional) bad decision by Harbaugh to a physical level. Both coaches were wrong and set horrible examples for their players. It's going to take away attention from a very competitive game.

Ness
10-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Alex Smith was just as good last year as he is this year. If he finishes out this year with around 20 touchdowns, 8 interceptions, 3000 yards and a 95 rating then I don't see why we wouldn't believe he can continue that level of play.

Alex won't get to 3,000 yards passing like this.

abaddon41_80
10-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Alex won't get to 3,000 yards passing like this.

He is on pace for 2900 with two games left against the Rams and Cardinals and one against the Seahawks and Browns. I think he will break 3000.

BRAVEHEART
10-16-2011, 05:58 PM
*And Schwartz's huge overreaction IMHO. He could have just have had words for Harbaugh but he took a (seemingly unintentional) bad decision by Harbaugh to a physical level. Both coaches were wrong and set horrible examples for their players. It's going to take away attention from a very competitive game.

This is true, and when you get paid as much of those guys, that's what you're supposed to do (See Pete Carroll x Jim Harbaugh).

Ness
10-16-2011, 06:02 PM
3000 yards is pretty pedestrian now and days. I mean really, if you aren't over 3,500 yards minimum...well...yeah...especially if you start every game in the season.

abaddon41_80
10-16-2011, 06:05 PM
3000 yards is pretty pedestrian now and days. I mean really, if you aren't over 3,500 yards minimum...well...yeah...especially if you start every game in the season.

But if he gets 3000 while averaging over 7 Y/A with 20 touchdowns and 10 interceptions, he is on pace for 21 touchdowns and five interceptions, in-route to an 11-5 record I think that is pretty good. Especially if he continues to step-up when he really needs to like he has so far

phlysac
10-16-2011, 06:13 PM

Because most teams run 3-4 Wide, spread sets and throw 40 passes a game. The 49ers run a 3 TE Power run set and throw 25-30 times a game. Only Curtis Painter and Blaine Gabbert have attempted fewer passes per game.

Apples and oranges.

binary
10-16-2011, 06:37 PM

you sound like a joke, are u being serious?

Madirishman
10-16-2011, 06:40 PM
This is true, and when you get paid as much of those guys, that's what you're supposed to do (See Pete Carroll x Jim Harbaugh).

Pretty embarrassing for both guys whom I feel are better than these actions today. I've watched Schwartz show a lot of emotion at the end of games all season; he just kicked it down a notch for the handshake, which Harbaugh should have today. Bottom line, they are both very emotional, competitive dudes who have their teams doing very well. Hope to see the Lions in the playoffs!

binary
10-16-2011, 06:41 PM

well our offense is way different than everyon else's, we're obviously striving to be more balanced.

This behavior by some niner fans complaining about this stuff is REALLY, REALLY questionable right now though, I'm not pointing that at you specifically...but it's highly suspect. The team is 5-1, and just won a huge game against an undefeated team and overcame a myriad of penalties. If you want Alex to put up numbers, get the other guys on the team to start doing their jobs (Staley, Ginn, Delanie)...he should've had 3 tds today.

VAfy-ya
10-16-2011, 06:44 PM
I just keep thinking in the back of my mind this is going to be just a one year wonder fluke. Alex Smith is playing like the next Mark Rypien.

And? So what...if its a fluke year, let it be this year as he is only signed for this year. I just don't understand this mentality of " yea...BUT ". Regardless of his past, he's playing good ball NOW. And its not like alot of ppl haven't said throughout the years that all he need was a good offensive coach. We're winning....thats all I care about. Whether it was Alex, CK, Tolizen, Hassleback, whoever. All I care about is the "W" at the end of the day.

Ness
10-16-2011, 06:50 PM
And? So what...if its a fluke year, let it be this year as he is only signed for this year. I just don't understand this mentality of " yea...BUT ". Regardless of his past, he's playing good ball NOW. And its not like alot of ppl haven't said throughout the years that all he need was a good offensive coach. We're winning....thats all I care about. Whether it was Alex, CK, Tolizen, Hassleback, whoever. All I care about is the "W" at the end of the day.

Because I want this to go on for more than one year. We haven't had stability at the quarterback position in a long time, and if you don't have a dominant quarterback in the NFL, you're not winning a Super Bowl most likely. Great defenses don't stay forever, and runningbacks die out quick. Good quarterbacks that a team can lean on go to the playoffs year after year. I need to see more from this passing game.

ViperVisor
10-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Stafford put up a ugly 293 and 2 TDs. He wasn't good today at home with his guys in the lineup.

Smith wasn't good. He was way off on about 8 passes but also had catch-able ones dropped.

These were incompletions

3rd and 19
3rd and 5 *through Ginns arms didn't matter Penalty*
3rd and 7
3rd and 12
3rd and 15
3rd and 7 *holding anyhow on a incomplete*
3rd and 9
3rd and 10
2nd and 11 *the bad INT, that was a slang pass that would be OK on 3rd and outside of FG range but wasn't even close*

With our WR corp a mess in it no surprise the 3rd and longs that are not being converted.

Peyton Manning only gets about 33% of 3rd and 6+

VAfy-ya
10-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Because most teams run 3-4 Wide, spread sets and throw 40 passes a game. The 49ers run a 3 TE Power run set and throw 25-30 times a game. Only Curtis Painter and Blaine Gabbert have attempted fewer passes per game.

Apples and oranges.

THANK YOU!!!
Its like the fans saying Crabs sucks because he doesn't have a 100 yard game yet. Not understanding his QB threw for 125 yards and he caught 77 yards of that 125 yards. It reminds me of the 80's and 90's when fans used to be mad because we didn't win pretty. A win is a win is a win. If you want to watch a QB throw for 300+ yards a game, this is not the team for you. But THIS is the team that is 5-1. Power-run, 2,3 TEs, physical on both sides of the ball. Get on board....

abaddon41_80
10-16-2011, 07:04 PM
I just don't understand why Smith's passes to Crabtree are always so high but he doesn't have that problem nearly as much when throwing to others.

VAfy-ya
10-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Because I want this to go on for more than one year. We haven't had stability at the quarterback position in a long time, and if you don't have a dominant quarterback in the NFL, you're not winning a Super Bowl most likely. Great defenses don't stay forever, and runningbacks die out quick. Good quarterbacks that a team can lean on go to the playoffs year after year. I need to see more from this passing game.

Your reasoning makes absolutely no sense. So were 5-1 but your mad because we don't have a QB of the future? Huh? We are a long ways away from winning a SB. Its a great start but let's not carried away? If anything, our start with Alex as our QB and the shorten off-season should give our fans a enthusatic outlook on the future considering Harbs is doing this without a elite QB.

49ersfan_87
10-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Big props to Aldon Smith and Chris Culliver. Aldon looking like a game changer, Culliver again had solid coverage. Gave up a few short passes but nothing deep. The fact that coaches trusted him 1 on 1 with CJ deep shows how much confidence they have in him.

I'm also impressed that we won with so many mistakes. 11 penalties, 2 turnovers, losing the TOP battle, and we still came out on top on the road against an undefeated team. TBH i thought we lost when CJ had that big 40 yard gainer, but after that i don't think the defense gave up another 1st down all game.

thediggler3030
10-16-2011, 07:43 PM

You don't need 3,500 yards passing when you run for 2,000.

Borat
10-16-2011, 07:51 PM
So I got a story to tell ya. Keep in mind I've been getting wasted in multiple airport bars today.

I get off my flight in Denver. It's middle of the third. Niners just went up 15-13. I go to bar, get food, liquor, and watch some Niners. Later my plane is boarding and SF is about to start the game-winning drive. I'm now following it on gamecenter while sitting on plane. The flight attendant is barking a bunch of nonsense over the speaker. I'm not listening. Just updating each play. Niners score is under review. The freakin plane is rolling down the runway. The TD stands. I'm cheering on the plane with other SF fans (we're headed to SF). The attendant is like "put your electronic devices away." I'm like, "Lady, it's third down. We need this play stopped." She's barking at me "FAA regulations blah, blah, blah." Boom. Incompletion. Now she's demanding my phone. I'm like "Lady, it's 4th freakin down here." So I pretend to turn the phone off. Boom incompletion. Niners ball. I'm like "Oh hell yeaaaaaa." the other niner fans are screaming. I toss her my phone, she turns it off and tosses it back to me. I asked if she could bring me another shot of jack. She said she's a Raider fan and I'm like, "Oh. That sucks. Can I still have that shot." she said no lol and that was that.

Great win. I'm still trashed. Awaiting my last flight home. Typed this MFer on my phone and it's blurry as ****.

Ninerrrrrrrrrrrrs!

VAfy-ya
10-16-2011, 07:55 PM
So I got a story to tell ya. Keep in mind I've been getting wasted in multiple airport bars today.

I get off my flight in Denver. It's middle of the third. Niners just went up 15-13. I go to bar, get food, liquor, and watch some Niners. Later my plane is boarding and SF is about to start the game-winning drive. I'm now following it on gamecenter while sitting on plane. The flight attendant is barking a bunch of nonsense over the speaker. I'm not listening. Just updating each play. Niners score is under review. The freakin plane is rolling down the runway. The TD stands. I'm cheering on the plane with other SF fans (we're headed to SF). The attendant is like "put your electronic devices away." I'm like, "Lady, it's third down. We need this play stopped." She's barking at me "FAA regulations blah, blah, blah." Boom. Incompletion. Now she's demanding my phone. I'm like "Lady, it's 4th freakin down here." So I pretend to turn the phone off. Boom incompletion. Niners ball. I'm like "Oh hell yeaaaaaa." the other niner fans are screaming. I toss her my phone, she turns it off and tosses it back to me. I asked if she could bring me another shot of jack. She said she's a Raider fan and I'm like, "Oh. That sucks. Can I still have that shot." she said no lol and that was that.

Great win. I'm still trashed. Awaiting my last flight home. Typed this MFer on my phone and it's blurry as ****.

Ninerrrrrrrrrrrrs!

But you left out the most important part......was she cute?

VAfy-ya
10-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Big props to Aldon Smith and Chris Culliver. Aldon looking like a game changer, Culliver again had solid coverage. Gave up a few short passes but nothing deep. The fact that coaches trusted him 1 on 1 with CJ deep shows how much confidence they have in him.

Absolutely. And AGAIN, have to give Baalke his credit. His first and third round picks are looking like steals. If he had went after Doug Baldwin instead Ronald Johnson, he'd be batting 1.000 lol

Rabscuttle
10-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Absolutely. And AGAIN, have to give Baalke his credit. His first and third round picks are looking like steals. If he had went after Doug Baldwin instead Ronald Johnson, he'd be batting 1.000 lol

If he would have picked Baldwin the cries of "omg idiots fire die york suicide fire, yada yada" would be even louder. Picking him would have been to lucky to go with the rest of that draft. That we still have pieces that may come to fruition two or three years from now is what makes me excited for the team and for future drafts.

Pretty much everything Baalke and Harbaugh did was criticized by the usual group, but they have repeatedly hit on free agency and the draft and they haven't broken the bank to do so. Now resigning some of these guys will take some effort by Maraathe, but winning may make that easier.

Ness
10-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Your reasoning makes absolutely no sense. So were 5-1 but your mad because we don't have a QB of the future? Huh? We are a long ways away from winning a SB. Its a great start but let's not carried away? If anything, our start with Alex as our QB and the shorten off-season should give our fans a enthusatic outlook on the future considering Harbs is doing this without a elite QB.

I think the players would disagree with you. The goal is always to win a Super Bowl. We're a long ways a way from winning one because we don't have a quarterback. Think about it. Most of the Super Bowl winners have some megastar at quarterback. What team was the last one to win one without one? Brad Johnson? (although he had a great year that season). Trent Dilfer? (his later years speak for themselves). But the league has evolved since those days even more. The time is going to come when is going to have to beat a team with his arm on a consistent basis and not just lean on Gore and the defense.

abaddon41_80
10-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Four of our picks this year have made some pretty serious contributions.

Aldon Smith - Looking like the elite pass rusher we have needed for years
Kendall Hunter - Great #2 back so far
Chris Culliver - Played great against the best WR in the league
Bruce Miller - Has been an excellent lead blocker

Brent
10-16-2011, 08:31 PM
I think the players would disagree with you. The goal is always to win a Super Bowl. We're a long ways a way from winning one because we don't have a quarterback. Think about it. Most of the Super Bowl winners have some megastar at quarterback. What team was the last one to win one without one? Brad Johnson? (although he had a great year that season). Trent Dilfer? (his later years speak for themselves). But the league has evolved since those days even more. The time is going to come when is going to have to beat a team with his arm on a consistent basis and not just lean on Gore and the defense.
I agree with you wholeheartedly on this. Yet, I will enjoy this ride until we can make a change. Should the QB position be improved? Yes, but we can't do dick about it now, so... go Niners?

Ness
10-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Aldon Smith looked great today. Culliver I'm not sure. I'll have to watch it again. Was it him guarding Calvin Johnson well, or Stafford and the Lions offense just not doing a good job of getting him the ball?

Oh and still zero rushing touchdowns allowed this year. We're still struggling against Pro Bowl receivers though in terms of yards given up.

Ness
10-16-2011, 08:35 PM
I agree with you wholeheartedly on this. Yet, I will enjoy this ride until we can make a change. Should the QB position be improved? Yes, but we can't do dick about it now, so... go Niners?

Word. I won't ***** like a manic about it anymore, but I know it's going to be an issue sooner rather than later. It's always going to be in the back of my mind.

Rabscuttle
10-16-2011, 08:37 PM
The o-line beat the **** out of the Lions today. Avril and VandenBosch were both roughed up and Suh was wandering around in a daze. I don't know if he's hurt or was just confused. Nobody is enjoying three hours with these guys.

And this was with penalties taking the Niners out of a lot of their heavy packages...

binary
10-16-2011, 08:41 PM

This was really the only game we've "leaned" on Gore. The first three games he was pretty much a zombie. The Philly game was mostly Alex and the passing game leading us back. The Bucs game was a team effort, but Alex was dealy efficient. This game was mostly Gore, but Delanie dropped an easy one and Ginn's lack of instincts killed another one... Alex had the ball in his hands on 4th and goal and converted. I'm tired of this suspect behavior.

VAfy-ya
10-16-2011, 08:47 PM

That's my point. Its not like we can find that franchise QB right now, at this moment. If you can't be happy with a 5-1 start forthis team....a team who wasn't supposed to be nearly this good, this fast, then its time for you to stop watching football.

Rabscuttle
10-16-2011, 08:57 PM
That's my point. Its not like we can find that franchise QB right now, at this moment. If you can't be happy with a 5-1 start forthis team....a team who wasn't supposed to be nearly this good, this fast, then its time for you to stop watching football.

I'm happy the team is finding a way to win so early in the process with the new coaching staff. 5-1 with half a pre-season while implementing a new scheme just shouldn't happen. The team fights through adversity and hasn't given up on its bad days believing it can win. Pretty impressive.

So many things are better and it is just the begininning, but some people expect more than is remotely reasonable. I honestly think misery is some fans preferred state of mind.

VAfy-ya
10-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Aldon Smith looked great today. Culliver I'm not sure. I'll have to watch it again. Was it him guarding Calvin Johnson well, or Stafford and the Lions offense just not doing a good job of getting him the ball?

Oh and still zero rushing touchdowns allowed this year. We're still struggling against Pro Bowl receivers though in terms of yards given up.

Culliver looked solid. He was just what I was hoping for.....big, fast, and physical. He had safety help alot when he was matched up one-on-one with Megatron, but he didnt get bullied and you could see a few times where he re-routed him and threw off their timing. I think he may have just took the nickelback role from Spencer and if he keeps working hard and playing well, he'll be a starter opposite Rodgers by the playoffs. Not really sold on Brown as a starter for the remainder of the season. I think Cully would be a even better fit on the outside as opposed to over the slot. When Brock comes back, it will be very interesting how our CB depth chart looks like.

VAfy-ya
10-16-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm happy the team is finding a way to win so early in the process with the new coaching staff. 5-1 with half a pre-season while implementing a new scheme just shouldn't happen. The team fights through adversity and hasn't given up on its bad days believing it can win. Pretty impressive.

So many things are better and it is just the begininning, but some people expect more than is remotely reasonable. I honestly think misery is some fans preferred state of mind.

My sentiments excatly.....

Rabscuttle
10-16-2011, 09:08 PM
And Crabtree needs some pcp.

Verloren
10-16-2011, 09:17 PM

Always gonna happen though. Shut down the run, and the other team passes more. At least the team hasn't been blown out due to a high powered passing attack yet.

binary
10-16-2011, 11:08 PM

yup, exactly. I think some fans got so wrapped up in hating Alex that they lost all reason and perspective. Now that the team is doing well with Alex as the QB, they really don't know what to do..they are probably waiting for him to have a truly bad game so they can become part of the discussion again. I've noticed on various forums how some members have suddenly disappeared, what sad souls.

Madirishman
10-16-2011, 11:51 PM
But you left out the most important part......was she cute?

It doesn't matter. She was a RAIDER fan. However, he did include whether she was cute or not when he noted the important Raider detail; you just missed it. Assume the obvious.

Ness
10-17-2011, 02:52 AM
yup, exactly. I think some fans got so wrapped up in hating Alex that they lost all reason and perspective. Now that the team is doing well with Alex as the QB, they really don't know what to do..they are probably waiting for him to have a truly bad game so they can become part of the discussion again. I've noticed on various forums how some members have suddenly disappeared, what sad souls.

Hey, I just feel we can upgrade the position. I have higher standards there. We as 49ers fans shouldn't be content with a game manager. Doesn't mean I don't want the team to win. But I would feel safer if we had a better passing attack. Obviously nothing can be done right now so I'll stop complaining, but at the same time it's going to take a lot more from Alex to "impress" me and assume we'll be safe going forward with him as our starter.

Ness
10-17-2011, 02:54 AM
Culliver looked solid. He was just what I was hoping for.....big, fast, and physical. He had safety help alot when he was matched up one-on-one with Megatron, but he didnt get bullied and you could see a few times where he re-routed him and threw off their timing. I think he may have just took the nickelback role from Spencer and if he keeps working hard and playing well, he'll be a starter opposite Rodgers by the playoffs. Not really sold on Brown as a starter for the remainder of the season. I think Cully would be a even better fit on the outside as opposed to over the slot. When Brock comes back, it will be very interesting how our CB depth chart looks like.
Well Culliver did get bullied in an embarrassing fashion early in the game when he "tried" to jam Calvin Johnson. But other than that he played alright.

VAfy-ya
10-17-2011, 05:38 AM
It doesn't matter. She was a RAIDER fan. However, he did include whether she was cute or not when he noted the important Raider detail; you just missed it. Assume the obvious.ou

I have no problems with Faider fans, thats a Bay area thing. Now if she wuld have been a Cowgirls fan, that would be different.

abaddon41_80
10-17-2011, 06:56 AM
The way I am looking at the Alex Smith situations is this. If a bad game for him is now playing horrible for the majority of the game but still managing to throw the game-winning touchdown on 4th down with under two minutes left on the road against one of the best teams in the league while missing his top two receivers then I am okay with that.

Madirishman
10-17-2011, 09:37 AM
ou

I have no problems with Faider fans, thats a Bay area thing. Now if she wuld have been a Cowgirls fan, that would be different.

To each their own. I have no hate for Raiders fans. I was implying that there was a certain stereotype of female Raiders fan. My comment obviously missed it's mark.

BRAVEHEART
10-17-2011, 10:35 AM
From the OP

And depending on what some of our resident Lions' fans say this week, I may end up hating them. I hate that.

It's hilarious how much of an understatement this is right now. Funny thing is, I love it. NFL needs new rivalries, and this game easily took the spot as most entertaining due to the post game antics.

Brent & Ness are some of my favorite posters on the board...but it's war now (and you know that). Hopefully both teams remain healthy, and meet up in the playoffs.

VAfy-ya
10-17-2011, 11:18 AM
To each their own. I have no hate for Raiders fans. I was implying that there was a certain stereotype of female Raiders fan. My comment obviously missed it's mark.

Oh ok...yea, Im not familar with that sterotype. I am a east coaster so maybe that's why lol.

VAfy-ya
10-17-2011, 11:20 AM
On a side note, I need a Aldon Smith sig....anybody in know, your help would be appreciated.

BRAVEHEART
10-17-2011, 11:57 AM
On a side note, I need a Aldon Smith sig....anybody in know, your help would be appreciated.

Sig request thread, Bone Krusher, i'm sure he'd be able to whip one up real quick.

binary
10-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Hey, I just feel we can upgrade the position. I have higher standards there. We as 49ers fans shouldn't be content with a game manager. Doesn't mean I don't want the team to win. But I would feel safer if we had a better passing attack. Obviously nothing can be done right now so I'll stop complaining, but at the same time it's going to take a lot more from Alex to "impress" me and assume we'll be safe going forward with him as our starter.

That post wasn't directed at you specifically. Of course we want mroe than a game manager, but when you look at Harbaugh's system that he ran at Stanford, and you look at how early it is with crappy WRS, Smith is doing a fine job. 3 comebacks on the road in the first 6 games, not bad at all.

Menardo75
10-17-2011, 01:39 PM
One thing is clear from this game Alex Smith is the best blocking Quarterback in the NFL.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Smith is doing a fine job. 3 comebacks on the road in the first 6 games, not bad at all.

Michael Smith just mentioned this one "Numbers Never Lie": Only Alex Smith and Joe Montana are the only QBs in 49ers history to have 3 comeback wins on the road in one season. Hard to believe that one.

Ness
10-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Michael Smith just mentioned this one "Numbers Never Lie": Only Alex Smith and Joe Montana are the only QBs in 49ers history to have 3 comeback wins on the road in one season. Hard to believe that one.

Well you know what means.

Smith = Montana.

Joking of course.

binary
10-18-2011, 12:30 AM
Well you know what means.

Smith = Montana.

Joking of course.

lol. People forget that Joe threw 3 picks in "the catch" game...it happens.

Borat
10-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Please, please, please. There should be no mention of Joe Montana joking or not.

Discuss Frank Gore vs. Ricky Watters or something else.

Madirishman
10-18-2011, 01:20 AM
Discuss Frank Gore vs. Ricky Watters or something else.

I'm guessing this was sarcastic. There is no discussion between the two.

Gore >>>>> Watters

Ness
10-18-2011, 01:36 AM
I'm guessing this was sarcastic. There is no discussion between the two.

Gore >>>>> Watters

Ehhh...I don't think so. Watters was very good. He played very well on three different teams. Even past the age of 30. He was durable, and a huge threat in the receiving game.

Menardo75
10-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Ehhh...I don't think so. Watters was very good. He played very well on three different teams. Even past the age of 30. He was durable, and a huge threat in the receiving game.

I loved Watters such a monster.

Madirishman
10-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Watters was more bark than bite. Gore is a workhorse that this team has leaned on for years, facing 8, 9, and 10 man fronts. If Gore had played on the teams that Watters did, he would have performed better. Gore will be the Niners franchise all-time leading rusher soon.

Ness
10-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Watters was more bark than bite. Gore is a workhorse that this team has leaned on for years, facing 8, 9, and 10 man fronts. If Gore had played on the teams that Watters did, he would have performed better. Gore will be the Niners franchise all-time leading rusher soon.

Well after left the 49ers he went to two teams that weren't that great in the 1990's. They leaned on him for sure and he still delivered. I still wonder if the 49ers would have beaten Green Bay more times if we had Rickey Watters. He was the perfect WCO back.

Rabscuttle
10-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Healthy Garrison Hearst was too good.

Ness
10-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Healthy Garrison Hearst was too good.

But where was he in 1995 and 1996?

Rabscuttle
10-18-2011, 07:32 PM
But where was he in 1995 and 1996?

Stuck with the Cards and Bengals, why?

Rabscuttle
10-18-2011, 07:40 PM
"I had tight coverage on him. All he did was try to release outside. And when he went inside, he tried to push me off. He was complaining. And I told him he had to shut up because he's too big for that" - Culliver on Megatron.

We need to remember that this kid is pretty much just getting his feet wet at corner and is playing better than anyone did at the position for us last year.

Ness
10-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Stuck with the Cards and Bengals, why?

Because you said Garrison Hearst was too good as if he had something to do with the conversation.

hawkeye123
10-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Niners are 5-1 for the first time in ages and you guys arguing about former RB's. Smh.

Rabscuttle
10-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Because you said Garrison Hearst was too good as if he had something to do with the conversation.

Someone mentioned putting Gore on that team, but Hearst was a very good back for us as well, post-Watters/pre-Gore. Very good receiver out of the backfield, even a pessimist such as yourself may remember a certain 96 yard play of his. Powerful runner with breakaway speed and very good at blitz pickup.

I don't see how he couldn't be part of the conversation. Do you have something you need to vent about perchance?

Ness
10-19-2011, 12:26 AM
Someone mentioned putting Gore on that team, but Hearst was a very good back for us as well, post-Watters/pre-Gore. Very good receiver out of the backfield, even a pessimist such as yourself may remember a certain 96 yard play of his. Powerful runner with breakaway speed and very good at blitz pickup.

I don't see how he couldn't be part of the conversation. Do you have something you need to vent about perchance?

The conversation had to do with Ricky Watters and Gore. Not Garrison Hearst. It's really quite simple.

"Healthy Garrison Hearst was too good".

What was that directed at? That came out of nowhere. What does that have to do with the 49ers needing Watters after he left the next couple of seasons and potentially helping the 49ers getting over Green Bay in 1995 and 1996?

And I have nothing against Hearst, so I don't know why you're describing what kind of player he was.

Madirishman
10-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Ok, let's drop the former RB talk and focus on the 2011 team again, enjoying the moment and the great things they are doing.

There was even talk yesterday on ESPN that the Niners could run the table. Not so sure about that but I'll take a division title and long-awaited playoff berth first. Then we can start talking bigger. Baby steps.

Ness
10-19-2011, 01:02 AM
Oh now ESPN wants to be our friend. F those guys.

YAYareaRB
10-19-2011, 08:40 AM
I still have a screen print ricky watters jersey haha

I thought Kevan Barlow was gonna be the best everrrrzzzz after his barely over 1000 yard season.. then frank just took over

Menardo75
10-19-2011, 10:45 AM
I still have a screen print ricky watters jersey haha

I thought Kevan Barlow was gonna be the best everrrrzzzz after his barely over 1000 yard season.. then frank just took over

Barlow from 2001 -2003 was an absolute monster. Then he decided to not hit the hole anymore.