PDA

View Full Version : What team has the most star studded roster?

Ness
10-13-2011, 04:26 AM
Which team hast the most impressive list of impact players? Household names. Guys that could all make the Pro Bowl or All Pro list potentially, and they call come from the same team.

Caddy
10-13-2011, 04:27 AM
The Buccaneers.

fenikz
10-13-2011, 04:31 AM
Pats - Brady, Welker, Wilfork
Ravens - Ngata, Reed, Rice
Lions - Megatron, Suh, Stafford?

Ness
10-13-2011, 04:35 AM
I'm guessing it's either Baltimore, Pittsburgh, or Green Bay.

fenikz
10-13-2011, 04:36 AM
Rodgers, Matthews, Finley, Woodson, Raji, Jennings?

eeth
10-13-2011, 04:45 AM
I was thinking Green Bay also.

Ness
10-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Rodgers, Matthews, Finley, Woodson, Raji, Jennings?

At this point I'd probably add Collins and Driver (even though he's regressed people still know him) and Tramon Williams possibly.

FUNBUNCHER
10-13-2011, 06:54 AM
GB with a cherry on top.

They have name stars at every level of their defense, (Woodsons/CMIII/Raji), and Rodgers has made a bunch of gifted skill players matchup nightmares for opposing defenses.

jrdrylie
10-13-2011, 08:39 AM
If you just go by Pro Bowlers, it's probably New England. Brandon Meriweather made the Pro Bowl last year even though the Patriots benched him. But my answer is probably Philadelphia- Vick, McCoy, Jackson, Peters, Samuel, Nhamdi. Vick might be the biggest "star" in the league.

The argument is about household names. That is why I don't say Green Bay. Obviously they are among the most talented teams (the mot talented?). But are their player's stars? Rodgers, Matthews, and Woodson of course. But guys like Jennings, Collins, and Williams are very good players but far from household names. For example, if you asked the average football fan to name the star receivers, I bet they would name 10-15 guys minimum before they got to Jennings.

Hawk
10-13-2011, 09:16 AM
If you just go by Pro Bowlers, it's probably New England. Brandon Meriweather made the Pro Bowl last year even though the Patriots benched him. But my answer is probably Philadelphia- Vick, McCoy, Jackson, Peters, Samuel, Nhamdi. Vick might be the biggest "star" in the league.

The argument is about household names. That is why I don't say Green Bay. Obviously they are among the most talented teams (the mot talented?). But are their player's stars? Rodgers, Matthews, and Woodson of course. But guys like Jennings, Collins, and Williams are very good players but far from household names. For example, if you asked the average football fan to name the star receivers, I bet they would name 10-15 guys minimum before they got to Jennings.

Playing in the Super Bowl makes them more popular than you may think. Its the one game seen by nearly everyone. And I don't believe that last sentence.

jrdrylie
10-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Playing in the Super Bowl makes them more popular than you may think. Its the one game seen by nearly everyone. And I don't believe that last sentence.

Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, DeSean Jackson, Chad Ochocinco, Larry Fitzgerald, Reggie Wayne right off the bat would be named before Jennings by most fans. I bet a ton would also name guys like Randy Moss and TO. I would group Jennings with Roddy White, Vincent Jackson, and Wes Welker. Very good receivers. Not stars.

the new jesus
10-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Green Bay

Aaron Rodgers
Greg Jennings
Jermichael Finley
Josh Sitton
Clay Matthews
Charles Woodson
Tramon Williams
Nick Collins
B.J. Raji

That's 9 Pro Bowl caliber players.

the new jesus
10-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, DeSean Jackson, Chad Ochocinco, Larry Fitzgerald, Reggie Wayne right off the bat would be named before Jennings by most fans. I bet a ton would also name guys like Randy Moss and TO. I would group Jennings with Roddy White, Vincent Jackson, and Wes Welker. Very good receivers. Not stars.

Name recognition is one thing but to say Chad Ochocinco is a better receiver than Greg Jennings is laughable. Calvin, Andre, and probably Fitz are the only guys I would say are better out of that list.

jrdrylie
10-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Name recognition is one thing but to say Chad Ochocinco is a better receiver than Greg Jennings is laughable. Calvin, Andre, and probably Fitz are the only guys I would say are better out of that list.

I never said Chad Ochocinco is better. That would be ludicrous. This thread is about household names. And nobody could argue with the fact that Chad Ochocinco has more recognition than Greg Jennings.

Green Bay

Aaron Rodgers
Greg Jennings
Jermichael Finley
Josh Sitton
Clay Matthews
Charles Woodson
Tramon Williams
Nick Collins
B.J. Raji

That's 9 Pro Bowl caliber players.

Once again, the question is about name recognition. We have to seperate ability from recognition. Jermichael Finley is a good player. A star? Absolutely not. Josh Sitton? Come on. No casual fan outside of Green Bay knows who the heck he is. The same with Tramon Williams and Nick Collins. Once again, I'm not arguing that these players aren't very good or great. I'm saying that they aren't stars that everybody knows their name.

steelcrew43
10-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Mike Wallace is better than Jennings, but there are far more "household" names that both those guys.

most people would name hines ward, brandon marshall, sidney rice. before jennings or wallace, just not as well known by the general public

Bulldogs
10-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Greg Jennings is one of the top 5 names right now IMO, mostly because of his youtube video. More of my friends probably know Greg Jennings than a guy like Sidney Rice or Brandon Marshall.

ImBrotherCain
10-13-2011, 10:16 AM
I don't think I would say Mike Wallace is a better receiver than Jennings... Faster yes but a more complete WR Its debatable.

ImBrotherCain
10-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Greg Jennings is one of the top 5 names right now IMO, mostly because of his youtube video. More of my friends probably know Greg Jennings than a guy like Sidney Rice or Brandon Marshall.

You gotta change your avy... I thought you were Halsey

BigBanger
10-13-2011, 10:18 AM

Well if you're counting sh*tty players and retired players, then maybe...

Jerry Rice still count?

thegreatone
10-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Baltimore:
1. Ray Lewis
2. Ed Reed
3. Michael Oher (The Blind Side lol)
4. Ray Rice
5. Haloti Ngata
6. Terrell Suggs
7. Anquan Boldin

All very recognizable names.

Bulldogs
10-13-2011, 10:20 AM
You gotta change your avy... I thought you were Halsey

I have avys disabled, I'll change it next time I get a chance.

ImBrotherCain
10-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Now I am not making an argument that it should be this way... but the Cowboys tend to always have a ton of players on probowl rosters (deservedly or not).

Tony Romo
Felix Jones
Dez Bryant
Miles Austin
Jason Witten
DeMarcus Ware
Terence Newman

CDCB14
10-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Now I am not making an argument that it should be this way... but the Cowboys tend to always have a ton of players on probowl rosters (deservedly or not).

Tony Romo
Felix Jones
Dez Bryant
Miles Austin
Jason Witten
DeMarcus Ware
Terence Newman

Don't forget Jay Ratliff, Sean Lee, Anthony Spencer, Doug Free, Tyron Smith, Orlando Scandrick and Mike Jenkins.

The cowboys have got to be top 3. They may not win, but that is some talent.

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Star studded and name recognition are two different things!

Splat
10-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Mike Wallace is better than Jennings.

Is this a bad joke?

Shane P. Hallam
10-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I think we need a definition of exactly what we are looking for here.

Punisher
10-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Mike Wallace is better than Jennings, but there are far more "household" names that both those guys.

Seriously?

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 12:19 PM
When you have posters defending players on the Packers, you know you ****** up.

jrdrylie
10-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I think we need a definition of exactly what we are looking for here.

The definition in the opening post is pretty clear. "Household Names."

Ness
10-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Perhaps I should have held off on the "household" names thing. What I really meant was more so along the lines of what team has the most players that could potentially make the All-Pro or Pro Bowl and they come from the same team. Think the 1990 Bills. They had a bunch of guys make the Pro Bowl, not all of them were guys that the average football fan would know though, yet they were still good players.

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 01:07 PM
The definition in the opening post is pretty clear. "Household Names."
But then he goes on to say something about pro bowls. Not all household names are pro bowlers.
Household names. Guys that could all make the Pro Bowl or All Pro list potentially, and they call come from the same team.
For example, household names that are not pro bowlers:

Chad Ochocinco
Tim Tebow
Reggie Bush
Hank Baskett (Reality Show)

jrdrylie
10-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Perhaps I should have held off on the "household" names thing. What I really meant was more so along the lines of what team has the most players that could potentially make the All-Pro or Pro Bowl and they come from the same team. Think the 1990 Bills. They had a bunch of guys make the Pro Bowl, not all of them were guys that the average football fan would know though, yet they were still good players.

Gotcha. But you should even leave out Pro Bowl because like I said, Brandon Meriweather made the Pro Bowl last year even after being benched by the Patriots. With your definition, you are basically asking which team is the most talted. Easy... Green Bay Packers.

Aaron Rodgers- Top-five QB
B.J. Raji- Top-three Nose Tackle
Clay Matthews- Top-five Rush LB
Greg Jennings- Top-ten receiver
Jermichael Finley- Possibly top-five TE, definitely top-10
Charles Woodon and Tramon Williams- Not sure where I would rank them, but obviously a great duo.
Morgan Burnett- Not All-Pro yet but I loved him coming out of the draft and he is having a great season.

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 01:09 PM

Aaron Rodgers
Greg Jennings
Jermichael Finley
BJ Raji
Clay Matthews
Charles Woodson
Tramon Williams
Nick Collins

I held off on Josh Sitton.

Punisher
10-13-2011, 01:15 PM
The Broncos have Tim Tebow. That makes them at least top 5.
Heck you can even throw Dawkins and Bailey in there. *sigh*

Sloopy
10-13-2011, 01:20 PM
T-sizzle
Ray Lewis
Ed Reed
Ray Rice
Ngata
Ricky Williams
Anquan Boldin
Marshall Yanda
Bryant Mckinnie
Vonta Leach
and very loosely Michael Oher (if we are still going with household names as well)

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 01:31 PM
I'd take Jordy Nelson over Anquan Boldin. All Jordyzzz jokes aside, is that a homer thing to say? Admittedly, I've seen a ton more Nelson than Boldin but I haven't been impressed with Anquan in Baltimore. Regardless, neither has a shot at the All-Pro list.

Saints:
Drew Brees
Darren Sproles
Carl Nicks
Jahri Evans
Jimmy Graham
Jonathan Vilma

Without going through every roster, I'm sure there is a surprise team with great individual players at a couple positions underachieving or not mentioned here.

Sloopy
10-13-2011, 01:36 PM
He hasn't been overly impressive however he is still a pro bowler and people know his name. I'd probably put him more towards the Oher end of the spectrum than a guy like Suggs Ngata Lewis or Reed.

Hines
10-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Big Ben
Mendenhall
Wallace
Ward(based on rep)
Pouncey

Smith
Hampton
Harrison
Timmons
Woodley
Taylor
Troy

Antonio Brown (returner)

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Steelers are solid but I wouldn't put Mendenhall, Hines Ward, or Mike Wallace (yet) in any All-Pro talk.

Texans:
Arian Foster
Andre Johnson
Brian Cushing
Demeco Ryans
Jonathan Joseph
Jacoby Jones (KR)

Ness
10-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Steelers are solid but I wouldn't put Mendenhall, Hines Ward, or Mike Wallace (yet) in any All-Pro talk.

Texans:
Arian Foster
Andre Johnson
Brian Cushing
Demeco Ryans
Jonathan Joseph
Jacoby Jones (KR)

Don't forget Matt Schaub. He made the Pro Bowl in 2009.

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Don't forget Matt Schaub. He made the Pro Bowl in 2009.
I guess I'm holding a little higher standard than I should here?

Breed
10-13-2011, 02:13 PM
No mention of the Eagles? You guys are really so dumb...

tjsunstein
10-13-2011, 02:18 PM

No mention of the Eagles? You guys are really so dumb...
Please stop posting. Just because this thread isn't dominated by mentions of the Eagles doesn't mean you have to make it.

Breed
10-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Please stop posting. Just because this thread isn't dominated by mentions of the Eagles doesn't mean you have to make it.

I apologize Father TJ.

Caulibflower
10-13-2011, 02:46 PM
"Household names" are names that have been given a lot of airtime in the sports media, IMO.

For the Eagles, there'd be Vick, LeSean McCoy, Ronnie Brown, DeSean Jackson, Nnamdi, Rogers-Cromartie, Asante Samuel, Trent Cole and maybe Jason Peters. All of those guys have been pimped by the media at various points throughout their career.

Packers... not so many, probably because so many of their players are homegrown. The Eagles have players who were high draft picks and big-name players for other teams who joined the Eagles later; they were recognized as elite players on their former teams, but maybe aren't as impactful now. (Ronnie Brown, DRC, Nnamdi) Still big names, though.

But with the Packers, the only "household names" I think would be Rodgers, Jennings, Clay Matthews and Charles Woodson. Don't get me wrong, I think they've got players who are better than some I've named on the Eagles, but more causal fans are going to be more familiar with the Eagles' players. The markets also are a factor, and playing for Philadelphia is going to get you a lot more media exposure.

If you're talking about name recognition, I think it's probably the Eagles, if you're talking about a team that can hurt you many different ways with a bunch of different players, you're talking about the Packers, Saints, Patriots...

...Texans and Raiders.

thegreatone
10-13-2011, 03:25 PM
I'd take Jordy Nelson over Anquan Boldin. All Jordyzzz jokes aside, is that a homer thing to say? Admittedly, I've seen a ton more Nelson than Boldin but I haven't been impressed with Anquan in Baltimore. Regardless, neither has a shot at the All-Pro list.

Saints:
Drew Brees
Darren Sproles
Carl Nicks
Jahri Evans
Jimmy Graham
Jonathan Vilma

Without going through every roster, I'm sure there is a surprise team with great individual players at a couple positions underachieving or not mentioned here.
Yeah, Boldin has been a bust for Baltimore thus far.

descendency
10-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Patriots

Tom Brady
Logan Mankins
Wes Welker
Sebastian Vollmer (out most of the year)
Vince Wilfork
Devin McCourty (playing like garbage this year)
Jerod Mayo (out for now)
Steven Gostkowski (kicker...yeah)

I feel like I am forgetting people too.

edit: Obviously you could add Haynesworth and such, but I am only going to list people who I thought at the beginning of the year might make the pro-bowl.

Vox Populi
10-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Buffalo

- That Irish guy who throws the ball and went to Harvard
- That running back that they always relate to the fat black guy on CBS' football show because they both went to some random ****** college
- That one offensive lineman who might be the illegitimate son of some famous basketball player from the 80s and 90s
- Who the **** are these random late round and undrafted guys on sports centre?

niel89
10-13-2011, 08:36 PM
I think that a lot of these extra guys that are being mentioned are no where near household names. They may be (potential) all pros but that doesn't meant household names immediately.

For the Ravens,

Ray Lewis
Ed Reed
Suggs
Ray Rice (Maybe a household name, but he is a potential all pro)
Oher (not an all pro, but he is clearly a household name)

Ness
10-13-2011, 09:46 PM
I guess I'm holding a little higher standard than I should here?

Well, he's a guy that could at least make a Pro Bowl...and puts up good production consistently. I think he'd qualify. Or rather, I would put him on that list myself. The one that you showcased in regards to the Texans.

MetSox17
10-14-2011, 03:31 AM
Guys that deserve to be in the pro-bowl based on their play this season:

Tony Romo (half the time)
Tyron Smith
Jason Witten
Miles Austin
Dez Bryant
DeMarcus Ware
Sean Lee

nepg
10-14-2011, 04:53 AM