PDA

View Full Version : Top 2012 free agents by position

killxswitch
10-14-2011, 10:24 AM
For a few unluckly teams the season is probably over. The Colts, Dolphins, Rams, Vikings, Cardinals, Seahawks, and others don't have a ton to look forward to this season, and only one team can draft Luck. So other teams will have to look elsewhere to improve their team. I haven't cared about this stuff this early in the season in a long time so bear with me.

I'll list the top FAs in 2012 by position, you guys tell me if your team is likely to re-sign him and, if not, where he might land.

QB:
BUF - Ryan Fitzpatrick
DEN - Kyle Orton
MIA - Chad Henne
NO - Drew Brees - will obviously be re-signed or tagged
OAK - Jason Campbell

RB:
BAL - Ray Rice
CHI - Matt Forte
GB - Ryan Grant
KC - Thomas Jones
SEA - Marshawn Lynch

WR:
BUF - Stevie Johnson, Roscoe Parrish
DEN - Brandon Lloyd, Eddie Royal
IND - Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon
KC - Dwayne Bowe
NE - Wes Welker, Deion Branch
NO - Marcus Colston, Robert Meacham
NYG - Mario Manningham
PHI - DeSean Jackson
PIT - Mike Wallace
SD - Vincent Jackson

TE:
GB - Jermichael Finley
MIN - Visanthe Shiancoe
WAS - Fred Davis

OL:
BAL - Ben Grubbs, Matt Birk
IND - Jeff Saturday - As a Colts fan I have no idea if they'll bring him back. They shouldn't.
SD - Nick Hardwick
TEN - Jake Scott

Non-speed rush DL:
AZ - Calais Campbell
ATL - John Abraham
CHI - Israel Idonije
CLE - Ahtyba Rubin
HOU - Shaun Cody
MIA - Paul Soliai
NYJ - Sione Pouha
PIT - Aaron Smith
SD - Antonio Garay
WAS - Adam Carriker

4-3 speed rusher / 3-4 OLB:
BAL - Jarret Johnson
HOU - Mario Williams
IND - Robert Mathis
DAL - Anthony Spencer

LB:
ATL - Curtis Lofton
WAS - London Fletcher

CB:
JAX - Rashean Mathis
NO - Tracy Porter
TEN - Cortland Finnegan

S:
NYJ - Jim Leonard
WAS - Laron Landry

abaddon41_80
10-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Alex Smith is currently on a one-year contract/

killxswitch
10-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Alex Smith is currently on a one-year contract/

I said top free agents.

PoopSandwich
10-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Browns better get a ******* receiver out of that group. Hopefully Stevie Johnson because he is the best player in NFL history.

vidae
10-14-2011, 10:51 AM
I fully expect Bowe to be signed longterm.

BradysKnee
10-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Welker+Franchise Tag=All but certain.

abaddon41_80
10-14-2011, 11:05 AM
I said top free agents.

Are you implying that Kyle Orton, Jason Campbell, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Chad Henne are so far ahead of Alex Smith that they should be listed and he shouldn't?

DeepThreat
10-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Rubin signed a 3-year extension with the Browns.

DiG
10-14-2011, 11:56 AM
i dont expect any way that any of the skins listed will be going anywhere. i fully expect all to be resigned.

bucfan12
10-14-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm pretty sure Titans Safety Michael Griffin is a free agent as well, but more than likely would be resigned.

tjsunstein
10-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Ryan Grant is a question mark, I think he comes back one more time on a one year deal. Finley is going to get PAID, though.

Splat
10-14-2011, 12:10 PM
CB Brandon Carr of the Chiefs should be added to the list. He would be targeted by many teams if he hits FA.

CC.SD
10-14-2011, 12:17 PM
blech hate seeing Jackson and even Hardwick on that list. One will definitely get the tag, I'm hoping we extend Jackson since with Gates nicked up it's clear he's the big building block for Rivers. Garay will definitely re-sign, he's great too.

bucfan12
10-14-2011, 12:25 PM
I don't see Hardwick or Jackson hitting Free Agency. 1 will be extended and 1 will be taggest/eventually extended.

I think, from what I'm reading and hearing from Mike Lombardi and Charlie Casserly from the NFL Network is they want to make sure Vincent Jackson's troubles are behind him before they commit 10 million a year long term. I think he's shown they're behind him and eventually he'll get that deal.

bucfan12
10-14-2011, 12:27 PM
CB Brandon Carr of the Chiefs should be added to the list. He would be targeted by many teams if he hits FA.

Don't think he'll hit FA though.

Guys like Forte and Rice and Brees won't even see Free Agency.

New Orleans might have to make a decision though between Colston and Maechem.

Hines
10-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Mike Wallace is a RFA.

keylime_5
10-14-2011, 12:48 PM
To be a nitpicker, John Abraham is the definition of a speed rusher, and he actually played OLB a lot in college and is a great fit there if he were to ever go to a 3-4 team.

And I do believe that D'Qwell Jackson's deal is up after this season. I hope the Browns resign him b/c he is a beast.

MaxV
10-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Mathis, Wayne and Garcon.

Colts have some tough decisions to make.

RaiderNation
10-14-2011, 01:07 PM
I'd love for the Raiders to add Robert Mathis and/or Cortland Finnegan. We need a consistent pass rush from DE and Mathis is still able to do that. He would rotate in on passing downs and team up with Wimbley and be a nice pass rush duo. Finnegan is a veteran who can play in our man to man scheme and be an upgrade over CJ at CB.

ImBrotherCain
10-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Are you implying that Kyle Orton, Jason Campbell, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Chad Henne are so far ahead of Alex Smith that they should be listed and he shouldn't?

Are you insinuating that Alex Smith is better than an average starter at his best?

The man has had a good season so far but he has also had 6 pretty bad to mediocre ones preceding this one.

Complex
10-14-2011, 01:12 PM
But he has Chad Henne on the list who hasn't done any thing.

diabsoule
10-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Ryan Fitzpatick will likely be signed to a contract extension. The two sides have been in talks since September trying to finalize one.

Also, Shaun Rogers and Abrayo Franklin will be free agents next year.

RealityCheck
10-14-2011, 01:56 PM
I was going to say that. If you think Orton, Campbell and Henne are better than Smith, you have some kind of mental disorder, just like Brandon Marshall.

abaddon41_80
10-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Are you insinuating that Alex Smith is better than an average starter at his best?

The man has had a good season so far but he has also had 6 pretty bad to mediocre ones preceding this one.

A lot of things wrong with this post but the main one is, as someone already mentioned, how is Chad Henne on the list? Henne has been terrible with almost no good play. Then there are Campbell and Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick hasn't been good for very long, either, and Campbell has never been anything other than average. Even if you want to argue that all four are better than Smith, there is no way you could honestly say that they are so much better that they should be listed among the top free agent QBs and he shouldn't.

The second thing that is wrong with it is he hasn't played anywhere near six seasons. Seven starts in 2005, 16 in 2006, seven in 2007, 10 in 2009 and 10 in 2008.

7 + 16 + 7 + 10 + 10 = 50 / 16 = 3.125 seasons

And, finally, if you are judging players going forward it seems like the better idea would be to judge them off of their more recent performances, not what they did 3-5 years ago. I could count the QBs that have a higher passer rating than Smith since this time last year on one hand. I wouldn't even need one finger to count the QBs with a higher TD:INT ratio in that span.

DoughBoy
10-14-2011, 02:04 PM
I'd love for the Raiders to add Robert Mathis and/or Cortland Finnegan. We need a consistent pass rush from DE and Mathis is still able to do that. He would rotate in on passing downs and team up with Wimbley and be a nice pass rush duo. Finnegan is a veteran who can play in our man to man scheme and be an upgrade over CJ at CB.

Finnegan is 100% not going anywhere.

OSUGiants17
10-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Vincent Jackson opposite Nicks with Cruz in the slot.....I've got a boner

cvv84
10-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Center Scott Wells and QB Matt Flynn of the Packers are also set to become FAs.

As for Grant and Finley, I think both guys will be back. Grant should get a cheap 1 or 2 year deal while I believe that Finley will either have his contract extended or slapped with the franchise tag.

Brodeur
10-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Cliff Avril would like some words, especially if you list Jarret Johnson over him as a pass rush guy.

phlysac
10-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Three other 49ers that are on one-year contracts worthy of mention...

WR - Braylon Edwards
CB - Carlos Rogers
FS - Dashon Goldson

Complex
10-14-2011, 04:52 PM
I would like the titans to sign Ben Grubbs and trade for Bowe. Draft Vontaze in the 1st round.

Splat
10-14-2011, 05:01 PM
I would like the titans to trade for Bowe.

I would like to punch you in the face.

vidae
10-14-2011, 05:29 PM
I would be shocked if we traded Bowe. I can't see it happening.

shylo3716
10-14-2011, 06:03 PM
This needs to be a Sticky Thread

shylo3716
10-14-2011, 06:05 PM
I would like to know where Roscoe Parrish may land. It would be interesting, because he is like the #4-5 WR on the depth chart who happens to have tons of ability in the slot/return game.

Unbiased
10-14-2011, 07:54 PM
I want Mario Williams, Marques Colston, and Brandon Carr in Jacksonville.

vidae
10-14-2011, 09:03 PM
I'd be kind of surprised if we let Carr walk. I expect both him and Bowe to be re-signed.

DeepThreat
10-14-2011, 09:04 PM
I want Mario Williams, Marques Colston, and Brandon Carr in Jacksonville.

And I want the Browns to trade for Aaron Rodgers, Calvin Johnson and Darrelle Revis.

bored of education
10-14-2011, 09:10 PM
And I want the Browns to trade for Aaron Rodgers, Calvin Johnson and Darrelle Revis.

Ill make it happen

niel89
10-14-2011, 09:13 PM

The starting QB for the Green Bay Packers?

regoob2
10-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Please take Isreal Idonije off that list. Guy is terrible. Not a starting caliber player.

killxswitch
10-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Lots of updates to make, I'll do it tomorrow.

Thecollegedropout
10-15-2011, 03:54 AM
Would be shocked if Rex Ryan's boy Jim Leonard isn't resigned.

Pouha I have questions on since he's getting up there in age and will want a nice payday before his career is over though.

Thecollegedropout
10-15-2011, 03:55 AM
Oh and Plaxico Burress may very well just leave after this year and go elsewhere....doesn't seem like he is very happy with the way the offense is rolling.

Ness
10-15-2011, 04:13 AM

It would be interesting to see if Flynn decides to stay with Green Bay or not. I really wonder how well he'd do if you take him out of that system with all of those players. Can he be effective elsewhere? He was decent in last year's game against the Patriots, but erratic at times. Not bad for his first career start though on short notice.

bearsfan_51
10-15-2011, 12:55 PM
The Bears will tag Forte, guaranteed.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-15-2011, 01:19 PM
How many of these top guys will realistically hit the market?

How many of these teams re-sign these guys?

I don't really see Manningham hit the market. I think we will try to keep MM so he can be part of the Nicks and Cruz trio, especially since Barden and Jernigan are still developing.

Larry
10-15-2011, 02:33 PM
That's a loaded WR class.

Job Reborn
10-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Lots of updates to make, I'll do it tomorrow.

Stop procrastinating you lazy crotch.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Oh and Plaxico Burress may very well just leave after this year and go elsewhere....doesn't seem like he is very happy with the way the offense is rolling.

Well the Jets were the only serious offer he got. No one else bothered to pitch him a credible offer.

Leon Sandcastle
10-15-2011, 07:02 PM
DAMN! Bills have to re-sign Fitz, SJ13, Scott Chandler, Demetrius Bell, Erik Pears, Bryan Scott and extend Fred Jackson.

Leon Sandcastle
10-15-2011, 07:04 PM
I would like to know where Roscoe Parrish may land. It would be interesting, because he is like the #4-5 WR on the depth chart who happens to have tons of ability in the slot/return game.

But is made of glass.

thenewfeature06
10-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Like RN said Finnegan/Mathis would be sweet.. I would rather have Finnegan though because of the up and coming Lamarr Houston.

Rob S
10-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Bills will likely extend Fitz, tag Stevie, and let Roscoe walk.

Mr. Goosemahn
10-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Not sure, but I think the Saints' Carl Nicks is also a FA and that guy is a stud.

Probably the best O-line free agent for next year, as he's already fantastic, is young (26) and has the size to dominate in the run and be successful in a very, very pass-oriented offense.

RCAChainGang
10-15-2011, 11:48 PM

As for Grant and Finley, I think both guys will be back. Grant should get a cheap 1 or 2 year deal while I believe that Finley will either have his contract extended or slapped with the franchise tag.

I really hope Matt Flynn gets a shot somewhere.

cvv84
10-16-2011, 08:06 AM
Some more potential FAs:

Michael Griffin
Robert Meachem
Martellus Bennett
Terrell Thomas
Tyvon Branch
Carl Nicks
Peyton Hillis
David Hawthorne

bigbluedefense
10-16-2011, 08:58 AM
We probably can't afford him, but I'd love Curtis Lofton on the Giants.

prock
10-16-2011, 09:04 AM
My gut says that the Vikings won't resign Shank.

shylo3716
11-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Bumping this

indyfan1985
11-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Mathis, Wayne and Garcon.

Colts have some tough decisions to make.

I think Wayne is definately gone. His play is declining and we should not pay high dollar for an aging WR. Garcon should maybe be resigned unless another team wants to overpay for him.

I actually would like to see the Colts make a run at WR Desean Jackson if Philly cant resign him. With Peyton possibly done, we will save a ton of money and even if he does come back, we will save money by letting Wayne and possibly Mathis go.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-08-2011, 09:54 PM
We probably can't afford him, but I'd love Curtis Lofton on the Giants.

I'd like to try that Mario Williams guy a chance at DE if we let Tolly go. I wonder how that would work with the other DEs. : P

Paul
11-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Not sure, but I think the Saints' Carl Nicks is also a FA and that guy is a stud.

Probably the best O-line free agent for next year, as he's already fantastic, is young (26) and has the size to dominate in the run and be successful in a very, very pass-oriented offense.

I won't be able to control my jizz if Dallas picks him up.

fenikz
11-08-2011, 10:12 PM
ill cry if CC leaves, best player on our D right now

49ersfan_87
11-08-2011, 10:17 PM
49ers have quite a few key FA's coming up this offseason. Dashon Goldson, Carlos Rogers, Ahmad Brooks, Braylon Edwards, Alex Smith are all starters. Key backups like Josh Morgan and Reggie Smith are also upcoming UFA's. Ted Ginn Jr. is also an UFA, useless as a WR but great on returns and useful on reverses too.