PDA

View Full Version : Colts ready to rebuild

Breed
10-14-2011, 08:28 PM
NFL Network's Mike Lombardi believes that both DE Robert Mathis and WR Reggie Wayne are available for trade at "the right price."
Mathis and Wayne are both in contract years, and neither would be a reasonable candidate for the franchise tag in 2012 because Peyton Manning is holding captive so much salary cap space. Wayne turns 33 years old next month and is obviously in decline. Mathis is 29. He'd cost a pretty penny to re-sign.

Will anyone bite?

nepg
10-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Really depends on what they're asking in return. I could see Houston biting because they're desperate to stay in the AFC South race with Andre injured. This team has never been to the playoffs...I'm rooting against them because I like streaks.

WMD
10-14-2011, 08:36 PM
They shouldn't do a trade in the division like that.

Lions should trade for Mathis.

keylime_5
10-14-2011, 08:44 PM
they should get rid of wayne, he's on the downfall....but mathis is a guy they need to keep with Manning coming back with only a few years left in his prime. Garcon/Collie/Clark and anyone else they bring in with Manning throwing to them looks like a superstar.

Matthew Jones
10-14-2011, 08:48 PM
It's a smart move considering that both players are set to become free agents, but this doesn't say anything good about Peyton Manning's health.

J-Mike88
10-14-2011, 08:52 PM
The Lions are already **** loaded on that DL thanks to their recent additions.
Colts would not trade them to Houston within the division.

49ers could use Reggie Wayne.

hawkeye123
10-14-2011, 08:54 PM
The Lions are already **** loaded on that DL thanks to their recent additions.
Colts would not trade them to Houston within the division.

49ers could use Reggie Wayne.

Not such a bad idea.

Seeing Ted Ginn start is disgusting.

A Perfect Score
10-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Robert Mathis is such a beast. Kind of shocked he's only 29, I figured he was a bit older then that. He's going to command a hell of a lot of money on the open market. I wonder if a 3-4 team or two takes a look at him.

Splat
10-14-2011, 08:59 PM
I think there would be a nice market for Mathis.

Shane P. Hallam
10-14-2011, 09:04 PM
I'd bet the asking prices are pretty high. It is surprising Colts would go into full rebuilding mode at this point. They weren't TOO far off last year considering. That being said, plenty of teams should be fielding calls about these guys, worth a look.

Ness
10-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Not such a bad idea.

Seeing Ted Ginn start is disgusting.

Ehhh...I wouldn't be too excited. He'd have to learn our offense, etc. Plus he'll be 33 and I wouldn't want to really give up anything more than a 4th round selection for him, which I think is fair. Pass.

tjsunstein
10-14-2011, 10:56 PM
I think it's more of an indication about Manning's health than anything. I doubt that they'll be moved, and I'd be surprised if they both come back next year.

jack1077
10-14-2011, 11:14 PM
I think it's more of an indication about Manning's health than anything. I doubt that they'll be moved, and I'd be surprised if they both come back next year.

I agree with this, also, i think trading away 2 of your best players for picks is a good way to ensure you get Andrew Luck. I don't think they do the deal because they would want a 2nd for Wayne and 2 2nds for Mathis. No one is going to want to pay that price.

phlysac
10-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Ehhh...I wouldn't be too excited. He'd have to learn our offense, etc. Plus he'll be 33 and I wouldn't want to really give up anything more than a 4th round selection for him, which I think is fair. Pass.

Exactly...

And Braylon Edwards comes back next game.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Thank god we don't need another pass rusher after the Ray Edwards signing this...****.

CC.SD
10-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Jesus ******* christ if these assholes get Luck I'm going to put my fist through a wall

Giantsfan1080
10-14-2011, 11:40 PM
If Peyton is healthy there is no way they take Luck. How pissed would he be if they took Luck when they could have any weapon they want. It's very similar to the Broncos in the 80's with Maddox. That move probably got Reeves fired.

49erNation85
10-14-2011, 11:56 PM
oh they are gonna pick Luck if they have number one spot.It will be Farve/Rodgers all over again. 4 years or under Manning boom superbowl team again.

ryno626
10-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Is it true that the Colts have a twenty some million dollar buyout on Peyton's contract? If that's the case then I think Luck to Indy has a high possibility of happening. Well even if it is not the case why not draft him and let him sit a few years because with the rookie wage scale he's not going to command that huge Sam Bradford deal. Get a few more years out of The Forehead then send him packing.

By the way the thought of Luck going to Indy made me throw up in my mouth as Pats fan...

Punisher
10-15-2011, 12:07 AM
The Broncos pass rush could use Mathis :)

Dumervil+Miller+Mathis would be sex

Shane P. Hallam
10-15-2011, 04:12 PM
FYI, Jim Irsay tweeted that trade rumors were FALSE

RaiderNation
10-15-2011, 04:17 PM
I dont see Wayne being traded unless a team over pays similarly to say the Roy Williams trade a few years back. Mathis could though, teams need pass rushers and he certainly can do that. Wouldnt mind at all if he landed in Oakland somehow to join the dline rotation.

Vikes99ej
10-15-2011, 04:17 PM
The Broncos pass rush could use Mathis :)

Dumervil+Miller+Mathis would be sex

So Mathis leaves a bad team and goes to an even worse team... seems like a good idea!

Nalej
10-15-2011, 04:31 PM
I dream of a day when the Pats have a legit pass rusher... a guy can dream, no?

49erNation85
10-15-2011, 04:51 PM
I dream of a day when the Pats have a legit pass rusher... a guy can dream, no?

But you have Albert Haynsworth right now ha

Brodeur
10-15-2011, 04:58 PM
If Peyton is healthy there is no way they take Luck. How pissed would he be if they took Luck when they could have any weapon they want. It's very similar to the Broncos in the 80's with Maddox. That move probably got Reeves fired.

Elway was about to only be 32 when they took Maddox, with a fair amount of success recently, and he hadn't missed really any time in his career. Peyton is going to be 36, coming off a major injury, and with an awful team around him. I'm sorry, but I just don't see the comparison. Maddox was a decentish prospect at the end of the first, while Luck is far and away the best player in this draft.

Smooth Criminal
10-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Peyton will probably be upset with the move, but you have to do it. Its clearly what is best for the franchise long term and Peyton should easily understand that.

He'll want the weapon for his career but I'm willing to bet that he'll understand. Maybe they'll go out and get him something in free agency.

tuan33
10-15-2011, 05:28 PM
When was the last time the Colts were major players in free agency? They like to build from the draft but the thing is they've been terrible at it lately which explains the way the team is atm.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
10-15-2011, 09:38 PM
When was the last time the Colts were major players in free agency? They like to build from the draft but the thing is they've been terrible at it lately which explains the way the team is atm.

Whenever we got Adam Vinatieri...

nepg
10-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Meh...

Name the non-homegrown players on the Packers:
Charles Woodson
Ryan Pickett
Donald Lee

The Patriots had the best record in the NFL... Non-homegrown players:
Wes Welker
Gerard Warren

J-Mike88
10-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Thank god we don't need another pass rusher after the Ray Edwards signing this...****.
*** Ray Edwards. He's the guy who shoved CLifton back last week and hurt his hamstring, just 2 games before we face Jared the maniac Allen inside that dome.

Here's my question about the Colts:
I've seen so many Pro Bowl teams and ratings from the experts of the NFL's best players, and there are always like 5 Colts on the list, or more, which is always one of the top 4 or 5 teams.

If those other guys are that good (Wayne, Clark, Mathis, Freeney), then why are they the sh***** team in the league without Manning? The Patriots still went 11-4 with Cassell starting, and that guy hadn't started since he was in high school.

Were all these other Colts overrated, riding on Manning's coattails?
Mathis and Freeney can sack QBs, at home on the fast turf especially. But they are victims against the run.

Wayne?
When healthy, Austin Colley was that teams best WR the past 2 years, and Garcon has been a better deep threat than Wayne.
Clark was a total product of the system.

With or without Manning, they should re-tool. If they can cash Wayne in for anything good, they should. Same with Mathis, who wouldn't be a good match for a 3-4 defense. Maybe the Eagles can add Mathis too.....

J-Mike88
10-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Meh...

Name the non-homegrown players on the Packers:
Charles Woodson
Ryan Pickett
Donald Lee

The Patriots had the best record in the NFL... Non-homegrown players:
Wes Welker
Gerard Warren
Welker is 95% of that offense.

For the Packers, you forgot Tim Masthay the punter, and Charlie Peprah our starting safety, as well as Eric Walden, the starting OLB opposite the slumping injured Matthews.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
10-15-2011, 09:49 PM
*** Ray Edwards. He's the guy who shoved CLifton back last week and hurt his hamstring, just 2 games before we face Jared the maniac Allen inside that dome.

Here's my question about the Colts:
I've seen so many Pro Bowl teams and ratings from the experts of the NFL's best players, and there are always like 5 Colts on the list, or more, which is always one of the top 4 or 5 teams.

If those other guys are that good (Wayne, Clark, Mathis, Freeney), then why are they the sh***** team in the league without Manning? The Patriots still went 11-4 with Cassell starting, and that guy hadn't started since he was in high school.

Were all these other Colts overrated, riding on Manning's coattails?
Mathis and Freeney can sack QBs, at home on the fast turf especially. But they are victims against the run.

Wayne?
When healthy, Austin Colley was that teams best WR the past 2 years, and Garcon has been a better deep threat than Wayne.
Clark was a total product of the system.

With or without Manning, they should re-tool. If they can cash Wayne in for anything good, they should. Same with Mathis, who wouldn't be a good match for a 3-4 defense. Maybe the Eagles can add Mathis too.....

But look at all the 1st round picks spent on offensive players Manning the cabinet is just loaded with weapons! Not that it is a positive of manning being hurt but it is nice to see this bs of him having great offensive players around him can be put to rest. He freaking made Brandon Stokley a 1000 yard receiver as a 3rd option. They are a product of Manning

nepg
10-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Welker is 95% of that offense.

For the Packers, you forgot Tim Masthay the punter, and Charlie Peprah our starting safety, as well as Eric Walden, the starting OLB opposite the slumping injured Matthews.

Meh...Welker's great, but Deion Branch was Welker before Welker. And they still have Branch.

Peprah was basically brought up as an NFL player in the Packers' system. Masthay was a UDFA...that is homegrown, sir.

I took the starters from PFR.

falloutboy14
10-15-2011, 11:29 PM
If those other guys are that good (Wayne, Clark, Mathis, Freeney), then why are they the sh***** team in the league without Manning?

http://sundaykickoff.com/images/Caldwell_Jim.jpg

In broader terms, I'm willing to bet the Colts have the weakest coaching staff in the league. Ask Bears fans if they hold Ron Turner in high regard. Or Broncos fans if they hold a special place in their heart for Larry Coyer. Anyone here ever heard of Clyde Christensen? These are the people running the Colts.

To give you an idea of how that translates onto the field, the Colts ran multiple plays where Dallas Clark was alone blocking Mario Williams. The RT didn't even look in his direction. That's a 6-3 250 pound man trying to block a 6-6 280 pound man. This happened several plays.

More specifically, with Anthony Castonzo injured the o line of the Colts is :
Linkenbach - Not athletic enough to play RT
Reitz - a rookie trying to figure things out
Saturday - hopefully he'll retire after the season
Pollak - I can't believe he's still on the roster
Ojinakka - 4th stringer off of the practice squad

I don't think people want to read a position by position breakdown, but that's just a sample of the Colts starters. Essentially, if you don't follow the team, and you don't know their name, you don't want them on your team.

More specifically, regarding Wayne/Clark/Freeney/Mathis, it's not easy for WRs to take over a game when you've got spotty QB play. Freeney & Mathis put on a clinic vs the Steelers & Bucs, but they can only do so much.

RCAChainGang
10-15-2011, 11:39 PM
I kinda wish the trade rumors were true, but our front office is too stupid to invest in the future.

dan77733
10-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Colts are 0-5 and they should trade away Mathis/Wayne for draft picks in April's draft and if they end up with the number one overall draft pick, I would trade away Manning for the best offer I can get, draft Luck and use all those extra draft picks to build around him starting with the OL.

Also, I would go after Bill Cowher and re-sign Garcon.

RCAChainGang
10-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Colts are 0-5 and they should trade away Mathis/Wayne for draft picks in April's draft and if they end up with the number one overall draft pick, I would trade away Manning for the best offer I can get, draft Luck and use all those extra draft picks to build around him starting with the OL.

Also, I would go after Bill Cowher and re-sign Garcon.

This makes me want to get madden and download the draft class onto the franchise. That sounds so sexy.

Brothgar
10-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Well the patriots have two first round draft selections give Indy one and a 3rd Robert Mathis could make their super bowl dreams a reality

LonghornsLegend
10-16-2011, 03:29 PM
If Peyton is healthy there is no way they take Luck.

Lol. You keep telling yourself that. I'm tired of wasting time explaining why this thought process makes zero sense. Peyton is going to be 36 years old, coming off of multiple spinal cord surgeries. What your saying doesn't even make sense.

themaninblack
10-17-2011, 12:07 AM
I will admit it was pretty funny to see some Andrew Luck jerseys being sported by Colts fans at the game today.