PDA

View Full Version : 15/10/11 Mock-short explanations

AntoinCD
10-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Order taken from ESPN Power Rankings

1. Indianapolis Colts select Andrew Luck, QB Stanford

There is no doubt in my mind that whoever is picking first overall will select Andrew Luck. Elway, Manning, LuckÖyeah the Colts make the right decision when it comes to drafting first overall. Letís just hope for their sake Luck is more like Manning than Elway.

2. St Louis Rams select Matt Kalil, OT USC

Ideally the Rams could take a playmaker like Blackmon or Jeffrey, however they simply canít sit and watch Sam Bradford take such a pounding. Kalil is the top OT to come out in the last few years.

3. Miami Dolphins select Matt Barkley, QB USC

Chad Henne may have lost his shot at being the Dolphins franchise QB with this injury and it is almost inevitable that Tony Sporano will be gone by the end of the season at the latest. New regimes usually mean new QBs. I like Barkley above Landry Jones for Miami.

4. Jacksonville Jaguars select Justin Blackmon, WR Oklahoma State

The Jaguars could use a lot of help on both sides of the ball, however if they want Blaine Gabbert to succeed then they need to get him someone to throw the ball to. Justin Blackmon is solidifying himself as the top WR in this yearís draft and would be a huge upgrade in Jacksonville,

5. Arizona Cardinals select Jonathan Martin, OT Stanford

The last time Arizona picked an OT 5th overall it didnít turn out to well. However this time they are hoping that Martin will become everything and more that Levi Brown was meant to be. Kevin Kolb needs to be helped if they are banking their future on him.

6. Denver Broncos select Trent Richardson, RB Alabama

I think in an ideal world the Broncos would be bad enough for Andrew Luck. Then there would be no Tebow controversy. However if they canít get Luck I donít think they would select any of the other top QBs. The new rookie wage scale helps Denverís decision here and they opt for the RB who will help John Fox gear this team to a more ground and pound offense.

7. Minnesota Vikings select Alshon Jeffrey, WR South Carolina

Minnesota need a LT badly, however I doubt they reach on Riley Reiff here with some great playmakers on board. No WR on the outside scares defensive coordinators for Minnesota. That should all change if they get Jeffrey. He can be a dominant threat similar to Calvin Johnson, or he could be Big Mike Williams from his Lions days.

8. Kansas City Chiefs select Landry Jones, QB Oklahoma

The Chiefs may have played themselves out of the Andrew Luck sweepstakes, however I believe they will be one team who will still take a QB if they are picking in the top ten. Matt Cassell has shown he can serviceable; however he will never be mistaken for a great QB. Todd Haley hopes that Jones can.

9. Carolina Panthers select Morris Claiborne, CB LSU

The Panthers havenít been blown out once this year, mainly thanks to Cam Newton and the Panthersí offense. However their defense is still giving up yardage in both the passing game and the running game. With no DT worth this pick and Rivera reluctant to take another DE with Charles Johnson getting big money, they opt for their top rated CB to improve the pass defense.

10. Cleveland Browns select Quinton Coples, DE UNC

With the Browns transitioning back to a 43 last year they went out and got a big run stuffing DT in Phil Taylor and a DE in Jabaal Sheard. They could really do with some LBs or more help on offense, however the value of Coples is too hard to ignore at this point. Coples may not be the athletic freak that other former UNC DEs like Julius Peppers were, but he is still an explosive threat off the edge.

11. Seattle Seahawks select Dre Kirkpatrick, CB Alabama

I think Pete Carroll could be extremely tempted to gamble on Robert Griffin III here, however I believe he will opt to improve his defensive backfield with this choice. Adding a top notch prospect at CB like Kirkpatrick alongside a good young safety pairing of Chancellor and Thomas should give the Seahawks a potentially great passing defense in the coming years.

12. Philadelphia Eagles select Manti Teío, LB Notre Dame

The Dream Team has some serious holes to fill. Their offensive line is in shambles and their best LB now is probably Andy Reid. They take Teío here as he is a good fit in their defensive system and can play either MLB or SLB.

13. Cincinnati Bengals select David DeCastro, OG Stanford

Andy Dalton to AJ Green looks like a connection that could be a regular occurrence for the next ten years, however the Bengals are still better suited to win by playing tough football. But it is hard to enforce your will on teams if your interior line canít block too well. David DeCastro becomes the third Stanford player selected in the top 13 and should really improve the blocking up front in Cincinnati.

14. Cleveland Browns from Atlanta Falcons select Vontaze Burfict, LB Arizona State

The Browns strike pure gold here in the first round. Had Coples been gone at pick 10 they probably would have selected Burfict anyway. Getting both makes this a dream start to the 2012 draft.

15. Chicago Bears select Riley Reiff, OT Iowa

Even though the Bears selected Gabe Carimi in the first round last year, it is as clear as day that their biggest need is along the offensive line. If Jay Cutler is to have any chance at leading them deep in the playoffs again they really need to improve up front.

16. New York Jets select Michael Floyd, WR Notre Dame

The Jets take a gamble on Michael Floyd this early simply because they are running out of receiving threats after this year. The Jets passing attack is pretty impotent at the best of times so they really need to add a playmaker for Sanchez. Floyd has top 10 ability and could prove a great pick for Rex.

17. Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Luke Kuechley, LB Boston College

The Buccaneers really solidified their defensive front four in the last two drafts, however now they need to help out their back seven. Barrett Ruud was one of the most overrated MLBs in the league until he left, but the Bucs get a terrific, smart player here in Kuechley.

18. Dallas Cowboys select Stephon Gilmore, CB South Carolina

It was thought the Cowboys may have taken Prince Amukamara in last yearís draft to fortify their defensive backfield. Currently with Mike Jenkins, Terrence Newman and Orlando Scandrick their CB crop isnít terrible, however Scandrick isnít a true #1, Jenkins has had his ups and downs and Newman is nearing retirement. This choice comes down to Alfonzo Dennard and Stephon Gilmore. Ultimately I think the nod goes to Gilmore who is the superior athlete.

19. New York Giants select Zach Brown, LB UNC

The Giants when healthy actually have very few needs, however one of them is at OLB. Michael Boley has done a good job at one spot, however the another OLB is needed unless they are confident to let Mark Herzlich play more. At this point they opt for Zach Brown to fill that spot.

20. Tennessee Titans select Brandon Thompson, DT Clemson

The Titans have been many peopleís surprise team this year, and a lot has to do with Matt Hasselbeck. However this turnaround isnít indicative of their talent levels IMO. They still need to add difference makers at WR, LB and DT. At this point Thompson offers the best value and upside of those three positions.

21. Houston Texans select Jeff Fuller, WR Texas A&M

The Texans have had a high powered passing attack for the last few years thanks to Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson. However they need to add more weapons to take the pressure off. Fuller isnít having the year many thought he would yet, however he is still a very good talent and would make a great #2 in Houston.

22. Oakland Raiders select Jerel Worthy, DT Michigan State

Richard Seymour is still playing at a high level but neither he nor Tommy Kelly have long left. The Raiders would be well served to draft a replacement for either to join the rotation and learn from them.

23. Washington Redskins select Robert Griffin III, QB Baylor

Rex Grossman has played well for the resurgent ĎSkins this year, but letís be honestÖitís Rex Grossman. If Mike Shanahan can get himself a mobile QB with a big arm, chances are heís going to take him. I also think itís a pretty good schematic fit in Shannyís offense too.

24. San Francisco 49ers select Alfonzo Dennard, CB Nebraska

The 49ers have been much better than anyone thought this year and a lot has to do with the efficient play of Alex Smith; however the improved play of the defense has stolen the show. They could still do with improving their defensive backfield though. Some think that Dennard is a better prospect than his old team mate Prince Amukamara. Either way San Francisco get a damn good CB prospect at this stage.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers select Chase Minnifield, CB Virginia

Minnifield is following former team mates Ras-I Dowling and Chris Cook into the pros and may actually be the highest drafted of all of them. The Steelers need CB help badly and their defense hasnít looked as imposing as normal. Minnifield could start across from Ike Taylor and eventually succeed him as Pittsburghís #1 CB.

26. San Diego Chargers select Courtney Upshaw, OLB Alabama

The Chargers havenít had a fearsome pass rush since Shawne Merrimanís early career alongside Shaun Phillips. Larry English looks like a bust and the other guys at OLB are just jags. Adding a talent like Upshaw should take a lot of the pressure of Phillips and first round DT Corey Liuget when it comes to rushing the passer.

27. Buffalo Bills select Melvin Ingram, OLB South Carolina

The Bills have done a great job in reloading their defensive line in recent years. However they still lack a true pass rushing threat. Melvin Ingram is having a great year thus far for the gamecocks and has probably worked his way ahead of his more highly touted team mate Devin Taylor.

28. Baltimore Ravens select Michael Brewster, OC Ohio State

The Ravens have very few needs going forward. They would ideally love to be in position to grab a stud ILB to replace Ray Lewis, however without a pretty big trade they wonít have a chance at Burfict or Teío. Having missed out they decide to strengthen their interior offensive line with Brewster.

29. Detroit Lions select Janoris Jenkins, CB North Alabama

Jim Schwartz and the Lions take a big risk here in selecting the highly talented Jenkins. Undoubtedly a first round talent he has major character concerns. However if the Lions feel that they have enough strong leadership from Stafford, Calvin Johnson, Suh, KVB etc then they can afford to take the gamble if it improves by far their weakest area.

30. New England Patriots from New Orleans Saints select Devin Taylor, OLB South Carolina

I would not be surprised if Bill Belichick completely passed on selecting a pass rusher again, however at this point Taylor is a pretty good value pick. Ingram would have been a better fit for the Patriots at OLB/DE, however Taylorís athleticism will give the Pats an element they havenít had for years.

31. New England Patriots select TJ McDonald, S USC

Many people think that Belichick will choose one of the Alabama safeties here because of his connection with Nick Saban. However Lester isnít really worth a first round pick and Barron isnít the type of safety that the Pats need. It also doesnít help his case that he is the most overrated prospect in college. McDonald can come in and form a good, young pairing with Pat Chung and in the space of two picks the Pats should have addressed their porous pass defense.

32. Green Bay Packers select Jared Crick, DE/DT Nebraska

Crickís draft stock is in flux at the moment due to his season ending injury, however for the past two and a half seasons he has been one of the most dominant defensive linemen in college. The Packers are a good enough organisation to draft Crick based on his upside rather than what he may or may not be able to do in pre draft workouts.

vidae
10-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Great KC pick sir.

Pat Sims 90
10-15-2011, 02:18 PM
I would love it if the Bengals actually took a Guard in the 1st.

shylo3716
10-15-2011, 02:22 PM
I would love it if the Bengals actually took a Guard in the 1st.

Yall must have a lot of needs.

WT01
10-15-2011, 02:50 PM
I really don't think that Kirkpatrick has the physicality that the Seahawks like in their corners.

Matthew Jones
10-15-2011, 02:53 PM
I'd rather have Crick than Taylor personally, but I'd be okay with that Patriots draft.

bored of education
10-15-2011, 02:59 PM
I want to kiss you

RaiderNation
10-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Solid Raiders pick. Worthy could learn from Seymour and be apart of our rotation inside at DT.

coordinator0
10-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Solid pick for the Ravens, really anybody that could play LT-LG-C would be a good pick. Grubbs probably isn't coming back and I'd bet that Birk is done after this season as well. McKinnie is... well, McKinnie so a LT would be nice too.

ChicagoBearsVet23
10-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Good Bears pick. Floyd or Gilmore would have been good too

T-RICH49
10-15-2011, 07:05 PM
great KC pick

DeepThreat
10-15-2011, 07:50 PM
You wrote the day of the month before the month. Weird.

Not bad for the Browns, but I'm not a Coples fan at all.

AntoinCD
10-15-2011, 07:59 PM
You wrote the day of the month before the month. Weird.

Not bad for the Browns, but I'm not a Coples fan at all.

Lol, oops forgot we put those the other wat round

Thecollegedropout
10-16-2011, 07:31 AM
Mike Floyd to the Jets is a dream come true and would be a hell of a pick.

Good job.

prock
10-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Jeffry is a solid pick. I'm down with it. Sucks missing out on Kalil/Martin/Blackmon though.

GatorsBullsFan
10-16-2011, 10:06 AM
I agree with Landry Jones...but is the Chiefs front office ready to give up on Cassell?

Also great pick Blackmon would fit perfectly...Him or Alshon Jeffery

Menardo75
10-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Love the niners pick.